Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 11:24:04 AM   
Castor Troy

Holy shit. Chase? In an epic WW2 mini series? That's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 31
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 11:25:47 AM   
Timon

This is where we high five (Top Gun style) and cheer......

HIGH FIVE!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 32
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 11:35:57 AM   
Castor Troy

I'll high five that news all day. I can just imagine his face as he stabs a Jap with his bayonet now.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 33
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 12:34:24 PM   
simonmckergan1

I love Band of Brothers so this is just the best news. Roll on 2009.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Post #: 34
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 12:37:33 PM   
Zaphod121

Currently watching BoB for the first time so I can't wait for this, 2009 you say? damn!

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 35
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 12:41:51 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Currently watching BoB for the first time so I can't wait for this, 2009 you say? damn!

I'm sorry? First time?! Craziness.....

"Name?"
"Zaphod121"
"Zaphod121's slang for bullshit isn't it?"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 36
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 12:43:53 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

I'm sorry? First time?! Craziness.....

"Name?"
"Zaphod121"
"Zaphod121's slang for bullshit isn't it?"

I know, I feel so dirty but I'm already on Part 8, so I'm nearly done

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 37
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 1:24:53 PM   
Mojo

Its better to be watching it for the first time than not watch it at all, at least he's rectifying it. Plus I'd love to see Band of Brothers for the first time again, now I'm six years older and more able to appreciate the men of Easy.

So cool that Chase fuckin' Edmunds is in this, that shit just made my day. And I've already watched Bad Boys II this morning!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 38
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 1:41:54 PM   
Deviation

BOW WOW CHIKA WOW WOW. BOW WOW CHIKA WOW WOW.

Great news. I can hardly stay in my skin.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 39
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 19/6/2007 6:40:20 PM   
Timon

This news has got me so excited I just bought the 5 disc Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers set for 23 quid and the Collector's Edition of The Great Raid for 18 quid.

I really can't afford it...................................

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 40
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 12:45:20 PM   
Timon

The three leads.

The breakdowns of the 5 main characters have also shown up online due to young actors auditioning for the roles.

[EUGENE BONDURANT SLEDGE] An empathetic 18 years old from Mobile, Alabama, Eugene grew up in an upper middle class Southern Family. Eugene was in his senior year when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, but because of a heart murmur his father, a doctor, would not allow him to join the Marines until late 1943. Sensitive, intelligent, and obedient Eugene served with distinction as a Mortarman during the war, garnering the nickname "Sledgehammer" from his compatriots. Although quiet and innocent, Eugene exhibited a steely determination to do his duty. During the war he kept a secret diary in his Bible which he recorded his observations about combat. Eugene was straightforward, observant, blunt when necessary, respectful and completely without flash or artifice...LEAD

[ROBERT HUGH LECKI] 21 years old. Born in Philadelphia, PA, Robert Leckie grew up in an Irish Catholic middle class suburban New Jersey family. A ferocious intelligence, a thinly disguised poetic soul, and his Irish charm became his saving graces. Sometimes high-strung, even manic depressive (he was later diagnosed as bi-polar), Robert grew up struggling to control his temper and his fists. When the war began Leckie was writing as a sports reporter for the Bergin County Evening News. December 7, 1941 compelled Leckie to join the Marines. His introduction to war occurred on August 7th 1942 when the First Marine Division invaded Guadalcanal. Serving first as a Machine Gunner in H-2-1 and then as a Scout later in the war, "Lucky" as his friends called him, exhibited uncommon courage in combat as well as a deeply ingrained and compulsive distaste for all authority out of combat. The malaria, dysentery and starvation he endured during the war, however, paled in comparison to the progressively deepening existential crisis he experienced in the Pacific...LEAD

[SIDNEY PHILLIPS] 17 years old. (MUST BE LEGAL Eighteen) Sid was Eugene's oldest and best friend. A year younger than Eugene, Sid was from a more middle class family than his friend. They both loved movies, Rudyard Kipling, and playing practical jokes and the drums in the school band. Sid joined the Marines on December 8th and shipped out with Robert Leckie's Company, H-2-1 to Guadalcanal. The youngest member of H Company, he became an 81 mm Mortarman. He lost his innocence on Guadalcanal. Through all the degradations he suffered during the war Sid never lost his sense of humor, his humility, and his deeply rooted religious convictions...LEAD

[JOHN "MANILA" BASILONE] 26 years old. Born in Buffalo, New York to immigrant Italian parents, John Basilone grew up in Raritan, New Jersey. Good looking, easy-going and confident, with a bit of a devil-may-care attitude, he was charismatic, but unconscious about it. John was catnip to women. One of ten children, John's childhood was typical Italian working class. Although uneducated, he was extremely bright. Basilone joined the Army in 1934 - in part to ease the financial burden on his family, and in part to prove that he was a loyal American. While serving in the army he became the Inter-service Lightweight Boxing Champion. Discharged after four years, Basilone worked a variety of jobs. He joined the Marines in February, 1940 because they were "tougher" than the Army. A natural born leader, he was an enlisted man's sergeant, inspiring the men to do their best through example. Basilone was awarded the Medal of Honor for his service on Guadalcanal- the first living enlisted man to do so in the war - John was shipped home to spearhead Bond Tours and other publicity appearances for war morale. Despite being the most famous soldier in America, Basilone grew to hate his fame. He also missed the comraderie and excitement of combat. He finally forced the Marines to send him back to the Fleet in the summer of 1944. While training replacements at Camp Pendleton, John fell in love with a fellow Marine, Lena Riggi. A month after they married he shipped out...LEAD

[CAPTAIN ANDREW "ACK ACK" HALDANE] Sledge's commanding officer. 27 years old. The commander of Kay Company, Haldane, grew up in Lawrence Massachusetts and graduated from Bowdoin College. Highly intelligent, tall, beefy, square-jawed and charismatic, Haldane was universally adored by the men of his Company. Although big and strong, he never exhibited any bluster. Despite being a strict disciplinarian, Haldane never raised his voice and cared for his men in a manner that was unusual, even for the Corps. The war rapidly aged him, perhaps more than other commanders, because of the depth of the compassion he felt for his men...LEAD

[MERRIELL "SNAFU" SHELTON] Early 20s. The shortest man in Kay Company, Merriell grew up in rural Louisiana, spending much of his early years in a Depression CCC camp. Cajun, with a thick gumbo accent and easily riled, Snafu, as he was universally called, was a professional gambler before the war - often times getting caught with a fifth ace up his sleeve. Like thousands of poor depression boys Snafu joined the Marines for the regular food and payments. Although uneducated and unsophisticated, and at first highly suspicious of Sledge because of Eugene's upbringing and education, Snafu grew to respect Eugene, and the two served together until the very end of the war...LEAD

[JOHN PAUL "J.P." MORGAN] 24 years old. A corporal in Basilone's machine gun section on Guadalcanal (later a sergeant), Morgan was squat, blunt, and more prone to use his fists than his mind. Unlike Basilone, Morgan was dark, moody, and perpetually angry. Basilone was the only man Morgan couldn't or wouldn't fight in the Regiment. He was loyal, however, and he and Basilone drank together, chased skirts together and fought Japanese together in a way that suggested a close emotional tie...LEAD

I was thinking, as it's shooting in Australia are we going to be seeing a lot of ex-Neighbours and Home And Away actors trying to do something serious like several young British actors did with Band Of Brothers (McClung was played by some guy who used to be in Family Affairs).

Could we be seeing the likes of Blair McDonough (Stu in Neighbours) getting signed up to storm Pacific islands?

< Message edited by Timon -- 20/6/2007 12:55:59 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 12:56:11 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I'm really looking forward to this, but the casting isn't inspiring me. Badge Dale was pretty average on 24...he aint no Damien Lewis!

Oh, and Val Lauren has been on 24 too. He played Randy Murdoch in Season 2, who was the guy with the bizarre hat.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 1:04:14 PM   
Castor Troy

Are these based on real people timon? I know the series is based on a couple of books.

I like the sound of Chase's character - solves problems with his fist. He's only got one left though.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 43
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 1:08:39 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Are these based on real people timon? I know the series is based on a couple of books.

I like the sound of Chase's character - solves problems with his fist. He's only got one left though.

The books are written by two of the main soldiers. Eugene Sledge wrote "With the Old Breed" and Robert Leckie wrote "Helmet for My Pillow."

Amazon synopsis of both books;

With The Old Breed Synopsis
E. B. Sledge was barely in his twenties when he volunteered for the U. S. Marines. By the time he landed on the beach at Peleliu in 1944, his patriotic idealism and his understanding of the strategic importance of the island were of secondary consequence to his determination to survive. Recalling the friendships forged and lost during the battles, this field memoir is a stirring chronicle of action and courage

Helmet For My Pillow Synopsis
Robert Leckie, one of America's greatest military historians, was both an eyewitness and participant to some of the greatest battles in the Pacific. This is Leckie's vivid account of combat and survival in World War II. In January 1942, in the aftermath of the infamous Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, he enlisted in the United States Marines Corps. From boot camp in Parris Island to the bloody war in the Pacific, Robert Leckie experienced it all. The booze, the brawling, the loving on sixty-two-hour leave; the courageous fighting and dying in combat as the US Marines slugged it out, inch by inch, island by island across the Pacific to the shores of Japan.

As far as I know, the men were in seperate units so the series may follow several companies.

< Message edited by Timon -- 20/6/2007 1:20:07 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 1:18:23 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

The books are written by two of the main soldiers. Eugene Sledge wrote "With the Old Breed" and Robert Leckie wrote "Helmet for My Pillow."

Sweet. I might try and read them before the series.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 45
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/6/2007 1:26:38 PM   
Timon

Helmet For My Pillow is quite rare and therefore quite pricy but I agree, they'd make great reads. Unfortunately I've got about 13-15 books, I've got and have yet to read. Damm history book sales.

With Spielberg producing Eastwood's Iwo Jima films, I really think they're the tip of the iceberg for this Pacific miniseries. Can't wait for my set to arrive so i can watch them.

Post #: 46
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 6/8/2007 1:58:17 PM   
Timon

Three more join the battle

Three more actors have been casted for HBO’s “Pacific” television event. They are Jon Seda, Ashton Holmes, and Rami Malek. They join previously cast James Badge Dale, Val Lauren and Joe Mazzello in the 10-hour companion piece to Hanks and Spielberg’s Emmy-winning 2001 saga “Band of Brothers.”

Seda (”Homicide: Life on the Street”) is set to play Rodriguez, a friend of Basilone. Holmes (”Boston Legal”) will play Sid Phillips, the best friend to Eugene who joins the Marines and is posted to the Pacific early in the war. Malek (”Night at the Museum”) is playing Merriell “Snafu” Shelton, a small and excitable Lousianian who is initially hostile to Eugene.

Along with this, two directors that worked on the excellent ROME have be signed up to direct - Carl Franklin and Tim Van Patten. Van Patten has also worked on Deadwood and Into The West.

As you'd expect, Dale Dye is back as military advisor and he's blogging!

http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/

Apparantly the first scenes filmed will be the Marine landings at Guadalcanal and Peleliu. The Captain made an interesting observation about how the beaches of Mossman and Port Douglas (Australia) have an “amazing similarity to the photos we’ve seen of the [real] beaches back during the war.

It's all coming together.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 6/8/2007 2:43:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

With Van Patten announced I am hoping Coulter will also get an episode - those two always bring the goods when directing HBO shows.

Also, good to see Dale Dye back, Wonder if they will be giving him a bit part in this show as well.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 48
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 6/8/2007 5:28:56 PM   
Timon

I heard he may get to direct a part..........

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 49
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 15/8/2007 1:23:36 PM   
Timon

Filming started on Monday!

Apparantly William Sadler (The Shawshank Redemption, Die Hard 2) has scored the lead role of Lieutenant General Lewis "Chesty" Burwell Puller, the most decorated Marine in history and the first, and only, United States Marine to receive the Navy Cross (and he got it five times).

James Badge Dale, Joseph Mazzello and Val Lauren have already been cast. Joining them are Aussie actors Gary Sweet as a gun man, Rupert Reid (TVs "Blue Heelers"), Tom Budge ("Last Train to Freo") and Linda Cropper ("Black Rock").

The series, a follow-up to "Band of Brothers" as such, is based on the experiences of Marines John Basilone, Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie - the later two penning gritty first hand accounts of the combat and atrocities that took place between US Marines and Japanese soldiers during the Second World War.

Shooting will continue in Queensland through til November before moving down to Melbourne.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 15/8/2007 1:33:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

William Sadler? Now your talking.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 51
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 15/8/2007 1:52:17 PM   
Castor Troy

Do we reckon this will be on our screens this time next year? Or Autumn at least.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 15/8/2007 1:56:42 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

I could be wrong, but I remember the projected transmission date was supposed to be 2009, which I'm sure we will all agree that that is too damn long.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 53
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 15/8/2007 2:53:41 PM   
Timon

You should read Dale Dye's blog. It's rather interesting. He's just finished the actor's 'boot camp'.

http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 54
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 16/8/2007 4:24:32 PM   
furrybastard

Couple of directors added (Click)

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 16/8/2007 4:44:24 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 55
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 16/8/2007 4:26:41 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

That was a great read.  Thanks for the link, Ti. 

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 56
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/8/2007 1:51:01 PM   
Timon

From THE HERALD SUN:

WAVE upon wave they stormed the beach.

In a series of spectacular battle scenes for the $100 million World War II mini-series The Pacific, about 160 "US marines" yesterday burst out of landing craft and attacked a beach north of Port Douglas.

They surged out of five original flat-bottomed American assault boats into a hail of imaginary bullets and bombs to recreate a battle in the Pacific in World War II.

Hollywood heavyweights Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are producing the 10-part series on three US marines.

The 600-strong cast and crew will begin shooting in Melbourne at the beginning of next year.

It's believed Channel 7 paid about $600,000 an episode as a local production partner in the hopes the series will help them win the ratings war.

The Pacific is the sequel to the blockbuster TV series Band of Brothers.

Bomb craters and barbed wire-protected machinegun pits have been dug in the far north Queensland beach.

Shredded plastic coconut trees along the shoreline add to the authenticity.

Shell casings and Japanese Imperial Army paraphernalia are also strewn around the landing site while a small army of Japanese extras have been in boot camp.

Rocky Point residents yesterday told of waking to the blood-curdling screams of an invasion.

"It's not too bad," said local Angela Pringle, who lives just metres from the beachfront film set.

"If I close my windows I can't hear the bombs or screams or anything," she said.

Location manager Nick Daubeny said special attention had been paid to details.

"The minute we lose the authenticity, the suspension leaves the viewers and I think that's what really made Band of Brothers," he said.

The beach landings simulate the battle for Guadacanal and the coral strongholds of Peleliu.

"These were some of the bloodiest and most pitched battles of the war," he said.

"We wanted to recreate as closely as we could the rat-infested, rain-drenched hell holes of these battles."

The production is predicted to inject about $60 million into the local economy and create more than a thousand jobs.

A mini-city of trucks, caravans, marquees and site offices have been set up on the beach -- and at another site in the rainforest -- for the big-budget production.

The mini-series, which is based on the books With The Old Breed (Eugene Sledge) and Helmet For My Pillow (Robert Leckie), tracks the intertwined odysseys of three US marines -- Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge -- across the vast battlefield of the Pacific.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 57
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 20/8/2007 2:54:14 PM   
Zaphod121

It's REALLY happening, yay! let's hope it's at least half as good as BoB

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 21/8/2007 11:52:09 AM   
Timon

As with BoB, there will be 10 episodes but this series will track the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge - across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day. So no following one company.

It's possible flashbacks will also be used as the Marion Military Institute, where Marine Eugene Sledge attended school, is being recreated in Australia for fillming. So far, the rumoured episode list will go thus:

1- Guadalcanal/Leckie
2-Guadalcanal/Basilone
3-Melbourne
4- Gloucester/Pavuvu/Banika
5- Peleliu Landing
6- Peleliu Airfield
7- Peleliu Hills
8- Iwo Jima
9- Okinawa
10- Home

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 59
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 23/8/2007 1:53:29 AM   
Taffy

Seriously cannot wait for this, love my history in most forms, but a show with this much resources thrown at it, with a theatre of operations I know little about means I really cannot wait, 2009 though is a hell of a stretch.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI