Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pacific

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pacific - 8/6/2010 9:05:12 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Aaand, 40 mins in I finally gave up.
You can't postpone any character development until eps 3 and 5 and expect us to accept it and embrace it, especially when the characters are so ridiculously dull

Spot on. I actually considered giving up watching it at one point.

quote:

We are back to square one here. Why are we given that moment with Sledge? It added nothing to the story the episode was telling. More to the point, he fought at Iwo Jima. They lost a chance to show the battle from two different perspectives. I know the movie is out - but those 10 minutes at the end were more intense, violent and horrific than anything in Eastwoods efforts.

Basilone has barely been in this show since episode 3. Now we are playing catch up and I still don't know this guy. And as for his death - its a bit of an insult if the eye witness accounts are to be believed. He was hit indirectly by a piece of sharpnel. To give him that Hollywood ending goes against everything I thought that the people behind these miniseries were about. Along with the Leckie stuff from episode 3 it seems these writers and producers are more interested in the legend.

Couldn't agree more...  it was an insult to call the episode Iwo Jima imo.

quote:

One thing it has highlighted though, is that thank god Winters didnt die in battle. I dont think I could have recovered from how sad that would have been.

Quite right, also, we wouldn't have been able to see Zidane nut-megging him the other night!

quote:

Indeed, it didn't pull any punches but it would have been good to see more of the Battle of Okinawa, especially the whole aspect of many civilians killing themselves by hurling themselves off cliffs in the face of US troops.

We saw loads, when compared to the dross of the Iwo Jima episode. Episode 9 was the stand out episode for me. I just wished we'd had more of the same.

I think anyone upset by the BoB comparisons are just sore because it is obviously soooo inferior.
Every advert before the first episode aired harped on about it being from the makers of BoB. You can't have it both ways. Very disappointing overall.... but at least I can save some money by not having to buy the boxset.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 8/6/2010 9:08:26 AM >

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 451
RE: The Pacific - 10/6/2010 1:16:36 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=-1;12;-1;-1;-1&sku=56947&_tag.WT.ac=blu-ray-PBODY-BLU_PRODUCT_COMINGSOON2-56947

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 452
RE: The Pacific - 17/6/2010 10:57:13 AM   
Twisted Kitty

Just caught up with this.  Watched the last several episodes last night.  Extremely graphic to say the least but felt it needed to be to really capture the reality of war.  I didnt really 'bond' with the characters as I did with Band of Brothers and I felt was a bit fragmented in places. However, overall I thought it pretty damn good.  The penultimate episode was extremely graphic and really showed the intensity of the situation as well as how the characters had changed through war.  The final episode left me sobbing like a baby.  Dont think I've got through so many tissues whilst watching something!  Definately a blu ray purchase.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 453
RE: The Pacific - 21/6/2010 11:11:45 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Finally finished this, after watching the first four episodes and then waiting a few weeks and watching the rest in two days I can't help but feel disappointed. It looked stunning but the storytelling and narrative made it very hard to get into, very stop start. I also had serious trouble telling one character from another and knowing their names. I obviously knew Basilone, Leckie and Sledge. The only other character I felt I really knew was Snafu. All the others seemed to blend into each other. I tried not to compare it to BoB but it's hard, especially when BoB did such a good job of bringing the characters to life and forced you to have emotional investment in them.

A good series in it's own right, a definate watch but a little disjointed. It's major downfall was the fact it had to follow BoB.

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 454
RE: The Pacific - 22/6/2010 7:36:36 AM   
Castor Troy

I gave up after part 4 or 5 and decided to wait for the Blu Ray so I could watch it in HD (was just downloading it). I you had told me that 6 months ago I would have called you mental. Something wasn't right for sure. But I am currently reading With The Old Breed and that's making me really wanna watch it all. But I shall hold out and within that time I should have read Helmet For My Pillow too, so my thirst will hopefully be back.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 455
RE: The Pacific - 22/6/2010 10:20:39 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Basilone has barely been in this show since episode 3. Now we are playing catch up and I still don't know this guy. And as for his death - its a bit of an insult if the eye witness accounts are to be believed. He was hit indirectly by a piece of sharpnel. To give him that Hollywood ending goes against everything I thought that the people behind these miniseries were about. Along with the Leckie stuff from episode 3 it seems these writers and producers are more interested in the legend.

That annoyed me but I'd read that he was killed instantly by a mortar. Another thing that annoyed me was that he married Lena a whole year before he died, yet in the show it seemed like they got married just before he shipped out.

This is addressed in the official book of the series.  Basilone's death was originally reported to be from a mortar shell as that was the story that had circulated around the marines from the eye-witnesses.  And, perhaps understandably, the number of marines who claimed to have been alongside him when he fell became more and more inflated as the legend grew, which wasn't helped by the stories Basilone's sister was writing for the newspapers back home which made him out to be everything from the undisputed boxing champ of the corps to the bare-footed saviour of Guadalcanal.

However, the official report of his death, prepared by the medical staff when his body was returned to the medical tents from the battlefield, recorded that he had been shot 3 times by heavy-caliber weaponry, once in the right groin, once in the neck, with the final bullet almost severing his arm.  So in the end the series actually goes some way to separate the myth from the man by recording his death as it actually happened, rather than from the tales of his corpsmen.

I do agree that the Lena situation was a bit misleading during that particular episode, although at the very end they did mention that they were married 7 months at the time of his death.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 23/6/2010 9:14:52 AM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 456
RE: The Pacific - 5/8/2010 1:23:28 PM   
Timon

Looking forward to getting the Blu-Ray release, especially to watch the video-in-video commentary.
  • BD Exclusive: "The Pacific Enhanced Viewing" the ultimate viewing companion to The Pacific. Learn more about the Marines and gain a deeper historical understanding of the battles while watching the miniseries with Enhanced Viewing, a 10-part, 10-hour picture-in-picture experience. Exclusive content includes interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps and more.
  • BD Exclusive: "The Pacific Field Guide" Allows viewers to navigate through the major events featured in The Pacific in this standalone, interactive Field Guide. Search within for categories to view exclusive content including animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs and more.
  • "Historical Backgrounds" the five-minute prologues that set the stage for each episode and additional historical footage narrated by Tom Hanks.
  • "Making The Pacific" go behind the scenes and take an inside look at the making of this epic, 10-part miniseries.
  • "Profiles of The Pacific" delve into the lives of the real Marines featured in The Pacific. Get a personal perspective on their families, their war experience and their lives after the war in these intimate portraits.
  • "Anatomy of The Pacific War" explore the historical influences and cultural perceptions that led to the merciless brutality in the Pacific theater of World War II.

< Message edited by Timon -- 5/8/2010 1:24:19 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 457
RE: The Pacific - 16/8/2010 1:58:56 PM   
jonson

I SKY+'d the whole series and have been holding off starting it due to too many bad reviews.
Is it worth it or shall I not bother?
I'll be annoyed if it's a waste of time, and will probably dish out online bollockings, not that you care

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 458
RE: The Pacific - 16/8/2010 2:07:23 PM   
superdan

I more or less agree with everything Rgirvan has said about this, though if you don't want to read through for fear of spoilers I'll sum up my opinion of The Pacific as such - a massive disappointment that lacks almost everything that made BoB outstanding.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 459
RE: The Pacific - 16/8/2010 2:09:36 PM   
Twisted Kitty

Cant speak for anyone else Jonson but I thought this was brilliant. Definately a Blu Ray purchase for me in November when its out.  The story line was better in Band of Brothers I admit but I enjoyed it because the scenes were so graphic which to me, captured the reality of war and the acting, I thought was fantastic.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 460
RE: The Pacific - 17/8/2010 3:16:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I SKY+'d the whole series and have been holding off starting it due to too many bad reviews.
I'll be annoyed if it's a waste of time, and will probably dish out online bollockings, not that you care

You might get something out of it watching in big chunks, but I doubt it.

There are fundemental story issues that killed this miniseries for me. As superdan said, I am a big critic of this show. And this is from someone who worships BoB and has spent years waiting for this miniseries.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 461
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 9:35:53 AM   
Rebenectomy

Watched this last month, but never got around to posting anything about it. I imagine that this is simply because it failed to inspire any real reaction for me....except for episode 9 which was fantastic.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but I think like many have stated it failed in the respect that it was billed so much as a sequel to BOB and was very much a different animal. The character development was poor and there wasn't the camaraderie that you got with the predecessor. This was very much a case of 'war is hell', a precursor to the futility and brutality to the Korean and Vietnam campaigns that would follow, rather than the 'war as a necessary evil, to fit an even bigger evil' that seemed to be the theme in the European setting. And I get that. And by episode 9, this was abundantly clear and by that stage you cared enough about Sledge to sympathise with what he was experiencing. However, that it took to the second to last episode to get to that stage is a massive failing. Up until that point you were bombarded with so much of what felt like almost pretentious, angsty, self important woe is me-isms, at the expense of any real action (as important as defining character in this type of production as any dialogue IMO) that it really lost its way. Iwo Jima left me with that feeling when you think your going to sneeze, but you don't, and I was pretty pissed off with that.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 462
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 10:07:31 AM   
sharkboy

While not anywhere near as good as BoB, I thought it was a decent enough show, let down somewhat by trying to juggle too many balls at once.  Rather than follow 3 soldiers through their campaigns, it should have just followed the BoB formula and stuck with one company - given the scope of the campaign and the amount of actions, I'm sure they could have found plenty of potential candidates.

I read the offical book of the show by Ambrose and it helped to flesh out the characters of Basilone and Sledge(though it doesn't even cover Leckie).  It also gives plenty of insight into the "supporting" characters and even looks at it from 2 fresh perspectives - a navy flyer and Austin "Shifty" Shofner, who was captured at Bataan, then went on to escape from Cabanatuan POW camp and take command of the local resistance for years before being rescued by sub and returned to the States.  Now there's a story that would have merited its own show!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 463
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 10:15:54 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

It's boring mate.... a bit like Donnie Darko in the jungle.  hehe nahh not that bad.
I sky+ it all too... at least you can fast forward to the action scenes, there aren't that many though.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 464
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 10:16:50 AM   
superdan

I didn't hate it, it just really let me down. Perhaps if it hadn't been associated with BoB in the advertising I might have taken it differently, but I found it impossible not to draw comparisons. It jumps from story to story and character to character with little to no warning or mention of the other characters. It lacks the levity which helped make you care about the characters in BoB - The Pacific is incredibly bleak throughout. By the end I still knew hardly any characters names other than the 3 main ones, and to be honest didn't really care too much about them.

It does have plus points. It looks stunning, the action scenes are fantastic and a couple of the episodes are excellent.

As a series though it is deeply flawed.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 465
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 3:47:17 PM   
Timon

Is it wrong that I think the Main Theme (Honour) and the End Titles theme (With The Old Breed) are the most stunning pieces of film/TV music in recent years.

If pressed, I might say they're better than the Band of Brothers theme. Controversial.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 466
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 3:50:42 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

If pressed, I might say they're better than the Band of Brothers theme. Controversial.

What have I told you about drinking in the afternoon...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 467
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 3:56:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

I tried to convince myself the show was good as well. I am now at peace with the fact it sucked big time.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 468
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 3:57:49 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Is it wrong that I think the Main Theme (Honour) and the End Titles theme (With The Old Breed) are the most stunning pieces of film/TV music in recent years.

Totally agree, the music was amazing.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 469
RE: The Pacific - 18/8/2010 4:10:50 PM   
big dawg

I was ultimately disappointed...it had its moments, but I really didnt care for anyone in it like I did for Band of Brothers. There's no doubt it was well made and well acted, and in HD some of the scenes were glorious, but I just couldnt get into it. I may wait for the box set and try again.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 470
RE: The Pacific - 22/12/2011 10:42:31 AM   
Timon

Just started re-watching it on Blu Ray and have watched the first two episodes... and they are excellent. The faces are sticking better this time. It helps that I can watch them all in one go rather than per week.

I didn't even realise The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal was in it.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 471
RE: The Pacific - 22/12/2011 12:36:12 PM   
theieuan

quote:

Just started re-watching it on Blu Ray and have watched the first two episodes... and they are excellent. The faces are sticking better this time. It helps that I can watch them all in one go rather than per week.

I didn't even realise The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal was in it.

I didn't know that. I'm probably one of the few people I know who love The Pacific and would recommend it to everyone. I know it's not as good as Band Of Brothers (but then again what is?) but it definately gets better as the series goes on and the battle scenes especially on Peleliu!

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 472
RE: The Pacific - 22/12/2011 4:20:24 PM   
Timon

Episode 4 and who have I now spotted - Nate Corddry (aka Tom Jeter from Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip). I guess watching in on Blu Ray is making it easier to ID these guys...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 473
RE: The Pacific - 22/12/2011 9:09:51 PM   
theieuan

quote:

Episode 4 and who have I now spotted - Nate Corddry (aka Tom Jeter from Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip). I guess watching in on Blu Ray is making it easier to ID these guys...

I'm sure The Pacific is going to be like Band Of Brothers where in a few years time most of the cast will become Hollywood stars such as the likes of Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy et al have done

< Message edited by theieuan -- 22/12/2011 9:10:58 PM >

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 474
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2012 1:46:46 PM   
Timon

I think the series gets stronger as it goes on. It's still disjointed especially when you're flitting between Sledge and Leckie, but Ep 8 when Basilone is training new recruits and dies on Iwo Jima is a magnificent hour of TV, especially his relationship with his future wife. Plus, the Battle of Iwo Jima is simply brutal.

Likewise, Episode 9 on Iwo Jima is astounding especially the silent scene where Sledge finds the dying woman whose house he mortared.

Sure the series has flow problems, but individually the episodes were fantastic in their own right.

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 475
RE: The Pacific - 6/2/2014 5:51:56 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I wasn't a hater when it first aired, more disappointed it never lived up to expectations. So much so it's taken me almost four years to rewatch it.

I have to say, with initial disappointment out of the way it's a much, much better watch. I really enjoyed it this time around. The faces stuck slightly better (although still not as wellas BoB). Like Ti says, it's a little disjointed in places but there's so much good stuff in there as well. Felt myself getting a little emotional at times this time around unlike the first. It's also helped watching all of the episodes in three days as opposed to once a week for two and a half months.

If you didn't like it first time around, give it another go, you might be surprised.....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 476
RE: The Pacific - 6/2/2014 12:34:43 PM   
elab49

Sadly I'm the opposite - I watched it again last month too (7 for the tin version - bit of a bargain so I thought what the heck).

I think the writing is one of the major problems - perhaps not the script writers themselves but the sources they were formulating it from. Amrbose's single book is a bloody good read, even before the BoB adaptation. And although they seemed to want to show some idea of the long stretches of nothingness but I don't think they did it well and I just felt so much of it was either tedious or soapy.

Still a big disappointment and really not so much of a bargain.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 477
RE: The Pacific - 14/2/2014 9:11:21 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Main issue I had with this originally was that it was hard to connect with the characters. Seems better on a rewatch, two episodes in.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 478
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI