Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 19/11/2008 9:27:41 AM   
pixie

I must admit, although hearing his name a lot, I had no idea who Charlie Brooker was (I thought he was the guy that travelled with Ewan McGregor ).

But after stumbling across Screenwipe last night, the guy has already become a legend in my mind!!  How refreshing to have someone that speaks his mind like that, and also has so much common sense, a quality that seems to be lacking somewhat these days.

Well Screenwipe, you have found another regular viewer, and I shall now go and watch all the clips that have been posted. 

Hurrah for Charlie Brooke!!

Member of COBW

Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 61
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 19/11/2008 11:55:14 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

That Paul Ross thing scared the crap out of me! 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to pixie)
Post #: 62
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 19/11/2008 12:15:37 PM   
Filmfan 2

Loved the picking apart of Britannia High and Charlie's little musical number. I also thought he was pretty spot-on about the hypocrisy of newspaper's, using the recent Ross/Brand media circus as a perfect illustration of his point.

Welcome back, good Sir.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 63
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 19/11/2008 12:46:53 PM   
filmburner30

Welcome back Charlie the rant about the over reaction to the Brand/Ross thing was Brill and Britannia High got a good kicking which is always good.

Nice to have him back

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 64
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 21/11/2008 2:11:49 AM   
Spider

Thankg god Charlie Brooker is back. Have to say I think this was not one of his greatest episodes. He usually picks targets well, and his rant about the Brand/Ross thing was spot on, but I didn't think it was as funny as some of the stuff I remember (I did laugh, just not as much). Plus, much as stuff like Brittania High and Paul Ross thing look terrible, I don't think they're really well known enough to warrant so much time spent on them (especially Britannia High).

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 65
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 21/11/2008 2:32:11 AM   
Rhubarb

That's true of alot of his targets though, late night telly, Bid TV and Colin Fry

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 66
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 26/11/2008 11:55:28 AM   
M

Bliss having this back. Though it's perhaps worrying that a programme about TV is my favourite TV programme.

The Ten Biggest Cocks and She-Cocks in Advertising must be one of the greatest segments. It acerbically and accurately voices exactly what you're thinking. Though the "poetry" of Tim Key is up there, too....

< Message edited by M -- 26/11/2008 5:04:38 PM >

I like to watch.

(in reply to pixie)
Post #: 67
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 26/11/2008 4:53:55 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: M

Bliss having this back. Though it's perhaps worrying that a programme about TV is my favourite TV programme.

Word indeed.

quote:

The Ten Biggest Cocks and She-Cocks in Advertising must be one the greatest segments. It acerbically and accurately voices exactly what you're thinking.

Yeah, this segment was one of my favourites from a previous serious and I was delighted to see it back. The bit where Brooker showed Winner's 'real' face had me in hysterics.

Last night's episode vies for my favourite of the entire show's run, so many funny bits and Charlie telling it like it is.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 68
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 26/11/2008 4:57:04 PM   
Rhubarb

I'd seen most of the adverts before, but I still rather enjoyed Brooker rightly ripping the piss out of some of them.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 69
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 2/12/2008 11:49:08 PM   
Zaphod121

Not the usual episode this week, but I for one found it extremely fascinating, it's amazing how much we take all this stuff for granted but there is just SO much work that goes in it. 14 drafts for Hustle script? And yet it's still crap.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 70
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 3/12/2008 3:27:31 PM   
filmburner30

Enjoyed the writers show this week Charlie had a good cross section of writers on the show and how they work was facinating.

Russel T Davis is lightning quick it seems while Paul Abbot takes time ,it was all very interesting

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 71
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 12:54:31 PM   
Scabby

Gave me some good tips actually that I'm putting into practice now. Really good insight into a writers mind and one I really enjoyed.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 72
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 12:56:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Not the usual episode this week, but I for one found it extremely fascinating, it's amazing how much we take all this stuff for granted but there is just SO much work that goes in it. 14 drafts for Hustle script? And yet it's still crap.

Must be great to get advice on writing under the pretext of an episode of your own show

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 73
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 2:40:29 PM   
Spider

Is it wrong for me to say that I found the writers episode reeeeeaallly boring. I'm sure some of what they were saying was interesting, but it felt like a DVD extra for the most part. I was expecting interviews with writers to be mixed in with the normal Brooker humour, but instead it's just a load of interviews with some fairly dull people. Very dissapointed. I hope next week he just does a proper episode rather than the special ones we've had the last couple of weeks.

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 2:52:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

I enjoyed it but can imagine that it would really appeal mainly to people who are interested in writing rather than the behind the scenes process of it all. I do like that Brooker seems to be expanding what the show is about and experimenting with the format.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 75
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 3:39:01 PM   
Filmfan 2

I'm another that votes for it being a bit boring.

I'm sure it was very interesting for people interested in the writing process, but I found it dull. The specials Brooker's done in the past have been done in the usual format of the show and that helped to add interest, but for me it was just a bunch of talking heads.

Hopefully next week is back to the usual format.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 76
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 11:03:20 PM   
M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Is it wrong for me to say that I found the writers episode reeeeeaallly boring. I'm sure some of what they were saying was interesting, but it felt like a DVD extra for the most part. I was expecting interviews with writers to be mixed in with the normal Brooker humour, but instead it's just a load of interviews with some fairly dull people. Very dissapointed. I hope next week he just does a proper episode rather than the special ones we've had the last couple of weeks.

I wouldn't say it was boring.  Having occasionally dabbled in creative writing it really was interesting.  What it wasn't, however, was an episode of Screenwipe.  It felt more like a one-off BBC Four documentary...

I like to watch.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 77
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 4/12/2008 11:06:00 PM   
Rhubarb

I actually really liked it, but I like writing, and a few of the people on there, so I would.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to M)
Post #: 78
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 10/12/2008 6:04:47 PM   
M

I'm Konnie Huq, and look about nine.

Brilliant.  Kudos to her for doing that.  Much better episode than last week.

I like to watch.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 79
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 10/12/2008 10:14:25 PM   
Spider

Oh my god. The latest episode (and sadly the last of the series, I think) was absolutely fantastic. Properly sent up those moronic mission shows as the drivel that they are in an amazingly funny and ingenius way. There were loads of good lines, but the best bit was the really over the top last bit with the Elbow song and loads of cheering vecause they'd done a piss. HAHAHAH - I'm laughing just thinking about it.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 80
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 10/12/2008 10:28:54 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Oh my god. The latest episode (and sadly the last of the series, I think) was absolutely fantastic. Properly sent up those moronic mission shows as the drivel that they are in an amazingly funny and ingenius way. There were loads of good lines, but the best bit was the really over the top last bit with the Elbow song and loads of cheering vecause they'd done a piss. HAHAHAH - I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Really? I thought there was more.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 81
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 10/12/2008 10:32:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah that was a great epsiode.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 82
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 12:05:55 AM   
steffols

This was episode 4 of 6, so theres two more.  I thought it was brill.  I never really thought of those shows as their on genre, but when you think of it, there are tonnes!  The rip off that Konnie Huq done was ingenius, and probably couldve been taken for a serious show if it were on channel 4 or something.  The shot of all the guys taking a piss in front of her will live with me forever!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 12:16:02 AM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

This was episode 4 of 6, so theres two more.  I thought it was brill.  I never really thought of those shows as their on genre, but when you think of it, there are tonnes!  The rip off that Konnie Huq done was ingenius, and probably couldve been taken for a serious show if it were on channel 4 or something.  The shot of all the guys taking a piss in front of her will live with me forever!

Oh cool. I will have to check my sources better next time.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 84
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 12:42:02 AM   
Papa Jeff

Just seen the lates episode on YouTube, glad to see it go back to the normal format. I'm glad he highlight Jamie's Ministry of Food, what an absolutey poxy piece of viewing. The type of programes he's criticising here really are the bottom of the barrel viewing and all of his observations are spot on.

Oh and Konnie Huq, beautiful and sound, what a woman.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 85
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 2:01:41 AM   
Dr. Sam Beckett

I think Charlie Brooker has forgotten how to make his own show. That's 3 episodes in a row that has focused on the one subject, I prefer it when he takes the mick outof various things an episode. He's still brilliant though. 

(in reply to Papa Jeff)
Post #: 86
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 7:21:54 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr. Sam Beckett

I think Charlie Brooker has forgotten how to make his own show. That's 3 episodes in a row that has focused on the one subject, I prefer it when he takes the mick outof various things an episode. He's still brilliant though. 

I know what you mean, but I think he's just trying new things. The advertising and mission show ones worked, the writers one was booooring. He did episodes like that last season as well though, like the reality TV one. I wish he'd screenwipe a few more shows though.

(in reply to Dr. Sam Beckett)
Post #: 87
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 11/12/2008 9:43:08 PM   
richCie

i though last wekks was pretty interesting and this weeks was just downright hilarious. nothing wrong with the show.
congrats to Konnie Huq for going thru with it all

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 88
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 12/12/2008 12:09:14 PM   
M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr. Sam Beckett

I know what you mean, but I think he's just trying new things. The advertising and mission show ones worked, the writers one was booooring. He did episodes like that last season as well though, like the reality TV one. I wish he'd screenwipe a few more shows though.

Yeah, I agree that mixing up the format is a bit hit-and-miss, but it just goes to show that his programme is more adventurous and experimental than most of the 'actual' programmes he cross-examines...

I like to watch.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 89
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 - 16/12/2008 11:12:31 PM   
King_Wah

The guy is a fucking genius. His tribute to Oliver Postgate at the end of this week's show actually moved me to tears. I don't know how old Charlie Brooker is but Im guessing he is near my age of 38 so we had the same experience of being children in the Postgate era of kids tv. And he was right. Hearing his voice or the sound of Ivor the Engine or Bagpuss yawning can transfer me instantly to my childhood.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Series 5 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI