Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 18/2/2013 12:24:49 PM   
Invader_Ace

When is this on and what is it actually called?

I spent about half an hour trying to find it on the Sky PLus box this weekend!

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 271
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 18/2/2013 1:10:06 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

When is this on and what is it actually called?

I spent about half an hour trying to find it on the Sky PLus box this weekend!

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe, Thursdays, 10pm, BBC2.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 272
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 21/2/2013 10:46:11 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Another good show tonight, oh my days I nearly weed laughing at that British reporter saying the Russian meteor had struck London and Brooker's resulting faux alarm.

Shitpeas and Cunk made me laugh with their observations of my beloved Prof Cox as "having taken a bad e". I really don't like the poet Tim Keys though; he's not remotely funny (imho) and his voice is nippy as fuck.

Does anyone know what the Beethoven piece always accompanying Doug Stanhope is called? I can't remember for the life of me and it's driving me barmy.

Now, I wonder how long it will take for a 'Charlie Brooker and Bond films' thread to appear in Movie Musings...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 273
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 12:10:29 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

Does anyone know what the Beethoven piece always accompanying Doug Stanhope is called? I can't remember for the life of me and it's driving me barmy.

It's the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony.

The constant cutting back to the woman surprised by the Pope's resignation was very funny tonight; also the line taken from a Sky News TV article about 'boning horse meat'.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 274
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 1:22:15 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

It's the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony.

Oh thank you thank you!! It's my favourite piece by Beethoven but because I couldn't remember what it was called I've not been able to find it for ages!

Thank you!

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 275
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 2:57:23 AM   
demoncleaner

For some reason I can't get episode one on Virgin, but got caught up on two and three.

As brilliant as it ever was, but have to talk about Philomena Cunk. "and you get to see how his plucked eyebrows would have looked, if he did pluck them, 'cause you can tell that off a skeleton."

"the last famous person to come from Leicester was Gary Lineker, and he;s still got his skeleton inside of him"

On Die Hard 5:

"...and it's brilliant cause he's just shooting and killing loads and loads of people, bad people probably I don't know, I haven't seen it,but I assume they've done something wrong otherwise that would make him a...fucking murderer."

Post #: 276
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 3:44:10 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner
On Die Hard 5:

"...and it's brilliant cause he's just shooting and killing loads and loads of people, bad people probably I don't know, I haven't seen it,but I assume they've done something wrong otherwise that would make him a...fucking murderer."

I did like that line, I must admit.

As for this week's ep- Bond films are for children? Really?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 277
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 10:32:15 AM   
spark1

'you're joking? the pope??!!?! ooh my god!!!'

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 278
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 12:24:00 PM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

The very early Screenwipe which began on BBC4 was the best thing on TV when it was on.

Yes.

quote:

This new one feels like it has too much of an agenda and opinion.

What agenda? Too much opinion? The show is built on opinion! It always has been! It IS opinion!

quote:

Also don't like the new POV angles where hes sitting in a fancy looking library. The old ones with him sitting in a dingy basement flat worked because that was part of the lifestyle he was famous for. Now he's married with a kid, that doesn't work anymore.

His 'home' view has changed slightly, granted, but I think "sitting in a fancy looking library" is overstating it. His circumstances have changed, why shouldn't his POV? Do you want him faking a lower income in a middle-class flat? Or something more realistic?

And why should what kind of flat he is in or income he is on have any effect on what he is saying?

He can just stop doing the POV thing? As I say, it doesn't really work anymore. The joke of the POVs in Screenwipe was that he was a single man, living an existence in a basement flat making snarky comments to the TV. The whole image was one that a lot of guys (and girls) could probably connect to. I'm not saying his opinions should change because he is now happily married but his circumstances have changed, and he probably isn't connecting with the lone guy sitting in his basement flat as much as he once did. Sitting him on a leather sofa in a fancy room isn't connecting him with anyone anymore, and that was what the original POV shots were about. I thought they were anyway.

I don't think the show is entirely built on opinion. The old shows had a bit of bite to them commenting on stupid adverts or shit telly. But this is a different show now. Not that I mind much, Brookers opinion is usually one I can get on board with.

Last nights was much funnier than the previous weeks. The section about the Dorner guy in America was very insightful. I've always liked Brookers criticism of American news media, he is spot on with what he says. If only they could see it themselves. Bill O'Reilly is a massive prick.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 279
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 9:19:40 PM   
Mister Coe

I agree that the lone-man-in-a-basement thing isn't working anymore, I'm just waiting for Konnie to interrupt, saying 'honey, are you coming to bed..?'

(which, for the record Charlie, if you're reading this, you should deffo do instead of talking to idiots like us...)

Loved his line about Christopher Dormer (right spelling?) being like a Lethal Weapon movie in that he looks like Danny Glover and is as mad as Mel Gibson...

Also, is Andrex REALLY asking whether we 'scrunch or fold' when we're wiping out arses? Seriously? Is that a topic for public debate? It's shit and arses! We do what we have to do when circumstances demand! Nobody wants to see that debated!

Say what now?

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 280
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 10:31:42 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

I honestly do not understand people's problem with his POV pieces just because he has moved house and his surroundings are a bit nicer. Is he not allowed to watch television any more because he's successful and married now? It's not like he has awards lined up on his shelves jostling for our attention or a Blue Peter dog sniffing about his feet. Frankly I wouldn't care if he was sitting in a coal shed or a palace; if his observations are adroit and funny, as they invariably are, then that is all that matters. If they did away with the POV then we'd miss out on hysterical moments like his reaction to the newsreader erroneously reporting a large meteor had landed in London, which had me in stitches.

Preoccupation with his surroundings seems terribly materialistic and, if I'm honest, a little inversely snobbish. Well it's that or plain green-eyed monster.

And Steff, the entire show is Brooker commenting on events in his individual and unique way, all of which relays his opinion. Virtually every sentence he utters is opinionated.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Also, is Andrex REALLY asking whether we 'scrunch or fold' when we're wiping out arses? Seriously? Is that a topic for public debate? It's shit and arses! We do what we have to do when circumstances demand! Nobody wants to see that debated!

Yes that is just frankly creepy. Wtf??

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 281
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 22/2/2013 11:15:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

I don't see the problem with the POV parts either, they are important parts of the 'Wipe' legacy, regardless of where he is.

Never thought I'd ever type the phrase 'Wipe legacy' in my lifetime.....

quote:

And Steff, the entire show is Brooker commenting on events in his individual and unique way, all of which relays his opinion. Virtually every sentence he utters is opinionated.

It's his view. Once again, these are views not facts, views not facts.....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 22/2/2013 11:26:26 PM >

Post #: 282
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 12:30:25 AM   
Jonty

quote:

I honestly do not understand people's problem with his POV pieces just because he has moved house and his surroundings are a bit nicer. Is he not allowed to watch television any more because he's successful and married now? It's not like he has awards lined up on his shelves jostling for our attention or a Blue Peter dog sniffing about his feet. Frankly I wouldn't care if he was sitting in a coal shed or a palace; if his observations are adroit and funny, as they invariably are, then that is all that matters. If they did away with the POV then we'd miss out on hysterical moments like his reaction to the newsreader erroneously reporting a large meteor had landed in London, which had me in stitches.

Preoccupation with his surroundings seems terribly materialistic and, if I'm honest, a little inversely snobbish. Well it's that or plain green-eyed monster.

quote:

Agree with the POV (but is it POV seeing that it's not his point of view? if it were his POV then the shot would be just his voice & him looking at the camera that was filming him?)
Personally loved the Melanie Sykes "HIYYYA!" from the other week.

Thought the callback to the woman talking about the Pope was a bit Russell Howard?

http://notesfromasmalltaibach.blogspot.com

Post #: 283
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 12:44:47 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonty
Agree with the POV (but is it POV seeing that it's not his point of view? if it were his POV then the shot would be just his voice & him looking at the camera that was filming him?)

It's from our POV

quote:

Thought the callback to the woman talking about the Pope was a bit Russell Howard?

I thought that too, especially considering that Brooker had already used the same clip last week.

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 284
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 12:58:51 AM   
Jonty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

It's from our POV

quote:

I thought that too, especially considering that Brooker had already used the same clip last week.

Ah, well I was trying..well...fuck I feel quite stupid. (I've been drinking)

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 285
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 1:45:33 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

I don't see the problem with the POV parts either, they are important parts of the 'Wipe' legacy, regardless of where he is.

quote:

Exactamundo.

Jonty, you have a point about the POV references; we have been a bit liberal in the acronym's application. In my defence, I never started it.

quote:

Yes, that was funny as fuck!! Long live the actually-not-POV sections!! They are brilliant!!

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 286
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 1:57:26 AM   
Rgirvan44

I agree with Steph - he has used the format in different forms - the couch thing feels regressive to be honest.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 287
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 10:14:48 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

Look for it in future Andrex adverts!

Post #: 288
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 23/2/2013 11:24:36 PM   
Jonty

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactamundo.

Jonty, you have a point about the POV references; we have been a bit liberal in the acronym's application. In my defence, I never started it.

quote:

Yes, that was funny as fuck!! Long live the actually-not-POV sections!! They are brilliant!!

As long as I haven't made a complete arse of myself, that's enough for me!

Post #: 289
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 24/2/2013 12:21:42 AM   
Shifty Bench

My line 'It's from our POV' was a joke in realisation that we were probably using the wrong term

(although, technically, they are from our POV as if we are guests sitting in his lounge with him but they are obviously not from Charlie's)

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 290
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 24/2/2013 12:54:19 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

Au contraire - you correctly pointed out our erroneous use of the term.

quote:

My line 'It's from our POV' was a joke in realisation that we were probably using the wrong term

Don't worry, the grinning emoticon let us know you were kidding.

quote:

(although, technically, they are from our POV as if we are guests sitting in his lounge with him but they are obviously not from Charlie's)

Yes but if we took POV as meaning from our point of view, then everything would be POV ... except POV!

Jonty was entirely correct, the term was misappropriated. Maybe we should call it 'lounge cam' or something instead...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 291
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 25/2/2013 12:18:38 AM   
Jonty

quote:

quote:

Au contraire - you correctly pointed out our erroneous use of the term.

quote:

Don't worry, the grinning emoticon let us know you were kidding.

quote:

Yes but if we took POV as meaning from our point of view, then everything would be POV ... except POV!

Jonty was entirely correct the term was misappropriated. Maybe we should call it 'lounge cam' or something instead...

Very rarely hear this.

*throws ticker tape parade*

Post #: 292
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 25/2/2013 8:35:25 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

I have to be honest, it's DEFFO the green eyed monster! I'm sitting in my dark room, feeling my blood pressure rise as I watch awful media shit and shouting at the TV! Without a lovely wife to calm me down!

I'm just saying that Mr Brooker is moving on in his career with the excellent Black Mirror and it feels like the basement-ranting stuff is raking over old territory when (sorry) it isn't as funny as it used to be.

I'll always look out for anything that has Charlie's name on it, I just think that WEEKLY WIPE is a bit un-necessary, particuarly when an awful lot of it is regurgitated from his Guardian columns.

And please, Charlie, get some decent guests on. That SKYFALL debate was fucking awful.

Say what now?

Post #: 293
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 26/2/2013 12:25:01 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

And please, Charlie, get some decent guests on. That SKYFALL debate was fucking awful.

Agreed.

I love Jessie Armstrong's television writing, but his "childrens film" musings were a tad ignorant.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 294
RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead - 26/2/2013 12:32:03 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I'll always look out for anything that has Charlie's name on it, I just think that WEEKLY WIPE is a bit un-necessary, particuarly when an awful lot of it is regurgitated from his Guardian columns.

I don't read his Guardian columns so it's all new to me

quote:

Yeah, it wasn't really good, that bit. And calling Bond 'children's films' was a bit odd, they are clearly not.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 295
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Charlie Brookers Screen Wipe Appreciation Thead Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI