Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 17/2/2007 5:51:52 PM   
evil bill

Watched CAT O NINE TAILS last night and was a bit dissapointed.it's not upto Argentos usual standed,though still an interesting thiller.Apart from the killers view point,where you get a glimpse of his/hers?( I'm not going to give any clues away), eye it seems to lack his brillant scene setting.Also watched region 1 dvd of ZOMBIE(Zombie Flesh Eaters UK)and it's totaly uncut just as i saw it all those years ago as a video nasty.Plenty of artful GORE Italian style,yum yum!

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 91
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 18/2/2007 4:57:36 PM   
Nexus

Yeah, he's great. Deep Red, Suspiria and Tenebre are all brilliant. I thought that The Bird With A Crystal Plumage was just okay though.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 92
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/2/2007 12:23:29 PM   
filmburner30

Deep Red,Suspira are the Masterpieces ,films like Cat O NIne tails are early Argento and they are building on themes seen in his later work .
That said they are pretty good on ther own merits  

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Nexus)
Post #: 93
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/2/2007 4:55:06 PM   
evil bill

If you enjoyed SUSPIRIA then INFERNO is a must see,it all starts with the murder of a young woman,who has discovered the apartment she is living in was built for one the Three Mothers,Whispers,tears and Darkness.Her brother from Rome go'es too New York to discover what happened to his sister,only to find himself caught up in a serries of murders.Like all the great Argento movies it's brillant use of colour and sound,shred's your nerves as dark robbed figures gulid through various scenes.

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 94
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/2/2007 6:56:45 PM   
evil bill

Just spotted this on Dark Dreams,they are about to make a muscial of DEEP RED,unbelivable the mad Italians vist www.profondorossomusical.if

Post #: 95
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/2/2007 3:33:08 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Just spotted this on Dark Dreams,they are about to make a muscial of DEEP RED,unbelivable the mad Italians vist www.profondorossomusical.if
oh my god thats weird i take it ,it wont be in the west end anytime soon unless Cameron Mackintosh is looking for a new show 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 96
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/2/2007 7:03:16 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

quote:

oh my god thats weird i take it ,it wont be in the west end anytime soon unless Cameron Mackintosh is looking for a new show 

You never know maybe Andrew Lyold Webber,he did the Phantom Of The Opera after all.

Post #: 97
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/2/2007 8:32:22 PM   
dj vivace

Watched Jennifer yesterday and it wasn't too bad but not great. Lots of sex! I thought the ending was very predictable and it was missing Argento's usual atmosphere i thought. And the fact that girl had such a messed up face was really pissing me off because the rest of her was gorgeous, but hey, thats the point.

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 98
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 3:21:49 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

Watched Jennifer yesterday and it wasn't too bad but not great. Lots of sex! I thought the ending was very predictable and it was missing Argento's usual atmosphere i thought. And the fact that girl had such a messed up face was really pissing me off because the rest of her was gorgeous, but hey, thats the point.
i sometimes think that US Tv constricts Argentos knack for visual flair which is so apparrent in his films

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 99
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 6:36:43 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

i sometimes think that US Tv constricts Argentos knack for visual flair which is so apparrent in his films

Yes i agree his flair for visual excess in style is restricted by the confines of a made for television production,but i did enjoy JENNIFER a cool tiwisted tale of a beautful woman with a disfigured face.Not his best by far but under the confines and time restriction pretty good.

Post #: 100
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 7:09:29 PM   
dj vivace

Shame, because the story was good, but did you not find the ending just obvious?

Anyway, watched Cat O'Nine Tails for the first time last night. Good to see it in Italian with english subtitles, i hate all that dubbed nonsense. However, was it just me or was the sound completley out of sink with the mouth movements? Besides that i thought it was pretty good for his second film? Well directed and the sense of menace was bulit up with ease. I found the whole film very surreal and slightly nightmarish. The blind guy added a real edge to the whole thing. I found the death scenes very typical Argento, and they were executed very well.

There was a scene near the start in the train station where Argento used the camera as if you were looking through the killers eyes, that scene bulit up such menace and tension, absoltultey classic! In fact, the use of the camera as the killers eyes was superb and seems to be used an awful lot now, but back when this was made i can imagine it was quite unique. An enjoyable film, showing hints of the great Argento to come, but who just isn't quite there yet. 5/10

< Message edited by dj vivace -- 22/2/2007 7:11:32 PM >

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 101
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 7:22:50 PM   
evil bill

Yeah the ending was o!so obvious,but still fun.And yes the lip synic was well out because the blindman amercian actor(He was the detective in STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO) and the hero also USA,did'nt know any Itailian so they spoke there lines in English which was then dubbed Italian.How nuts is this.But hey at that time Argento movies where made for Italy mainly.Was a bit disappointed myself with Cat O Nine Tails but 3/5 still better than some other so called thillers out there.Carpenter in an interview some years ago ,said he used the camera as the killers eyes in HALLOWEEN after seeing Argentos work,i wonder was it this one.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 22/2/2007 7:23:46 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 102
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 7:41:17 PM   
dj vivace

Probably was because he used that camera work a lot. Hopefully watching the Bird With The Crystal Pluemage tonight if i can convince the missus, is it any good?

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 103
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/2/2007 8:09:05 PM   
evil bill

It was his first movie and for me it's better than Cat O Nine Tails,but it is dubbed,though it lip sync is'nt to bad.But i think you'll enjoy it'and you'll reconise the English actor in it i think.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 104
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/2/2007 12:44:37 PM   
filmburner30

The Bird is a good film but Argento did not get on well with Tony Musante who plays the lead and it does show in some parts

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 105
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/2/2007 7:37:42 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

It was his first movie and for me it's better than Cat O Nine Tails,but it is dubbed,though it lip sync is'nt to bad.But i think you'll enjoy it'and you'll reconise the English actor in it i think.

Thanks for the recommendation, i was a bit dubious after Cat O'Nine Tails because to be honest that was a bit of a dissapointment. Didnt manage to convince the missus so we watched the Insider instead, second time i've seen it and forgot how good it was! I will watch Bird With the Crystal Plumeage over the next week

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 106
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 27/2/2007 6:39:15 PM   
evil bill

Watched TENABRE over the weekend,it's one of Argentos classic Thiller/Horror with all his stylish camera movements and lighting.I love the way in one scene he justs spends about two minties with the camera climbing up the wall of the house,before yet another killing.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 107
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 28/2/2007 10:56:13 AM   
filmburner30

quote:

Watched TENABRE over the weekend,it's one of Argentos classic Thiller/Horror with all his stylish camera movements and lighting.I love the way in one scene he justs spends about two minties with the camera climbing up the wall of the house,before yet another killing.
that shot kinda reminds me of some of De Palmas classic shots not that is a bad thing mind in fact its downright genius

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 108
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 28/2/2007 7:00:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

that shot kinda reminds me of some of De Palmas classic shots not that is a bad thing mind in fact its downright genius

Interesting point there filmburner30,both De Palma(Murder A La Mod -68) and Argento( Bird With The Crystal Plumage-69) began Directing thillers in the late 60's and then turned to Horror in the 70's.And they both love set pieces,with various camera angles,and both are fans and have been compared to Hicthcock.But even though i'm a big fan of Brain De Palma, Dario Argento has a style all of his own,and is off on a different plane to Hicthcock or De Pamla.

Post #: 109
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/3/2007 11:21:10 AM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting point there filmburner30,both De Palma(Murder A La Mod -68) and Argento( Bird With The Crystal Plumage-69) began Directing thillers in the late 60's and then turned to Horror in the 70's.And they both love set pieces,with various camera angles,and both are fans and have been compared to Hicthcock.But even though i'm a big fan of Brain De Palma, Dario Argento has a style all of his own,and is off on a different plane to Hicthcock or De Pamla.
oh i agree Argento is Unique ,but De Palma does love those tracking shots in films like The Fury,Blow Out And Dressed to Kill which are kind of like US Giallos

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 110
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/3/2007 5:18:38 PM   
evil bill

quote:

oh i agree Argento is Unique ,but De Palma does love those tracking shots in films like The Fury,Blow Out And Dressed to Kill which are kind of like US Giallos

THE FURY now that's the closest that any Amercian film maker has got to the masters style of horror.Totaly agree some of the best tracking shots are from those movies,and it's US Giallos for sure.Both The Fury and Dressed To Kill caused outrage from both Critics and the Press at the time of there relealse,and yet they are some of De Palmas best work for me any way.

Post #: 111
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 2/3/2007 12:51:00 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

THE FURY now that's the closest that any Amercian film maker has got to the masters style of horror.Totaly agree some of the best tracking shots are from those movies,and it's US Giallos for sure.Both The Fury and Dressed To Kill caused outrage from both Critics and the Press at the time of there relealse,and yet they are some of De Palmas best work for me any way.
Oh yeah i think the press hate filmakers who want to push our scare buttons.
I actually think that those De Palma Films along with Sisters , Carrie ,and Raising cane our better than the overpraised like Scarface.
Argento also attracts a lot of negative press a lot of it total utter garbage  

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 112
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/3/2007 11:29:06 AM   
evil bill

Once again i agree that the like's of SISTERS,THE FURY.DRESSED TO KILL etc are better movies than SCARFACE,which i'm a big fan of,mainly because of Al Pacino's great preformance of one of the most low life Gansters ever.But even Scarface has it's De Palma moments,though not on the scale of Dressed To Kill,which got the most stick from the press ever.Argento too has got a lot of garbage press about his treatment of women and the amount of gore.It's sad that a lot of movie fans avoid his movies because of what they have read in the press.But i am impressed with the reviews his movies get in the likes of EMPIRE and DVD REVIEW,there are a few reviewers who are fan's of both Argento and De Palma,and others in this gerne.

Post #: 113
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/3/2007 7:55:00 PM   
dj vivace

From what i remember, Argento has a lot of respect from Empire. I'm sure i've seen nothing but good reviews about most of his films.

Nice also to see a mention for Brian De Palma's Raising Cain, a superb psycho film played out with scarily way too much ease by the great John Lithgow

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 114
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/3/2007 12:04:27 PM   
evil bill

quote:

From what i remember, Argento has a lot of respect from Empire. I'm sure i've seen nothing but good reviews about most of his films.

Nice also to see a mention for Brian De Palma's Raising Cain, a superb psycho film played out with scarily way too much ease by the great John Lithgow

John Lithgow was truly great in that movie,it was his first leading role for De Pamla,before that he did the killer in BLOWOUT.It's werid how some Directors seem to be closly linked in our minds?

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 115
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 6/3/2007 5:51:36 PM   
evil bill

DARIO ARGENTO'S
                 INFERNO
On it's way from Play.com region 1.Been a long time since i watched this on Laserdisc,so realy looking forward to seeing my old friend again.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 116
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 7/3/2007 3:39:42 PM   
filmburner30

Ohh will have to get that also will have to get some Mario Bava stuff on dvd as well 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 117
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 7/3/2007 6:08:24 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Ohh will have to get that also will have to get some Mario Bava stuff on dvd as well 

What about the up and coming DVD 5 disc set due 3/4/ 07 29.99 from play.com.It has Black Sunday(1960),Black Sabbath(1963),The Girl Who Knew To Much(1963)Kill Baby Kill91966)and Knives Of The Avenger(1966).Or try Amazon they have a large selection of his movies,though some are a bit too pricey for my pocket.

Post #: 118
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 8/3/2007 10:02:57 AM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

What about the up and coming DVD 5 disc set due 3/4/ 07 29.99 from play.com.It has Black Sunday(1960),Black Sabbath(1963),The Girl Who Knew To Much(1963)Kill Baby Kill91966)and Knives Of The Avenger(1966).Or try Amazon they have a large selection of his movies,though some are a bit too pricey for my pocket.
Cheers for that ,as i hear Argento based a lot of his ideas on Bavas work and of course worked with his son Lamberto on The Demons films

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 119
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 8/3/2007 5:50:23 PM   
evil bill

DEMONS:Produced by Argento and directed by Lamberto Bava son of Darios hero Mario Bava.Not a work of art like his fathers movies,but well directed and plenty of Italian gore.Have 1-2 in the Dario Argento Ulitmate box set,and must get round to watching them again.Just love the early Mario Bava movies,so full of gothic atmosphere,and higly origonal storys and direction.You can see how a young Argento was infulanced by such a master of horror,but took off in his own direction.The Italian Unholy threesome Bava,Fulic and Argento,the greatest talent in the field of Horror there has ever been.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI