Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 18/7/2011 2:33:59 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

What a review,so well balanced from the view of a true fan not afraid to point out the faults,yet still knowing us fans will give it ago.

Cheers Bill, that's exactly the balance I was after.

I see the Monday night suckfest that is the current TV schedules means I might get round to "Do you like Hitchcock?" tonight.

I'll let you know what I think, probably in a lot less words though 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1051
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/7/2011 9:34:25 AM   
Discodez

I watched "Do you like Hitchcock?" last night and have to say I thought it was terrific. Pretty gory death (although there is only one murder, it was a nicely staged one and typical Argento, loved the white gloves for a change!) and plenty of nudity for a made for TV film! Obviously with a title like that you exepect plenty of Hitch' references. I loved the "Rear Window" homage opening sequence and ending. Also liked the "Spot the film poster" game in the video hire shop sequences (the poster for "The Card Player", a copy of Asia's "Scarlet Diva" on the shelf behind the counter, and the Italian poster for "Psycho" looked fantastic). To anyone steeped in the Giallo genre or Hitchcock it was all pretty predictable but thoroughly enjoyable all the same. I'm really glad I managed to track it down.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1052
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/7/2011 5:44:47 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

I watched "Do you like Hitchcock?" last night and have to say I thought it was terrific. Pretty gory death (although there is only one murder, it was a nicely staged one and typical Argento, loved the white gloves for a change!) and plenty of nudity for a made for TV film! Obviously with a title like that you exepect plenty of Hitch' references. I loved the "Rear Window" homage opening sequence and ending. Also liked the "Spot the film poster" game in the video hire shop sequences (the poster for "The Card Player", a copy of Asia's "Scarlet Diva" on the shelf behind the counter, and the Italian poster for "Psycho" looked fantastic). To anyone steeped in the Giallo genre or Hitchcock it was all pretty predictable but thoroughly enjoyable all the same. I'm really glad I managed to track it down.

I see you enjoyed it as much as i did,and spotted the Hitchcock homages,and the crafty hints at Asia's movie and Argento's own.Only i'd give The Card Player a miss unless your bored of the telly???Ooops forgot you are.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1053
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/7/2011 9:35:56 AM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

I see you enjoyed it as much as i did,and spotted the Hitchcock homages,and the crafty hints at Asia's movie and Argento's own.Only i'd give The Card Player a miss unless your bored of the telly???Ooops forgot you are.

I watched "The Card Player" ages ago, it was in a nice Anchor Bay box set I picked up for about a tenner, which sells for silly money these days on Amazon. Yes it's not great but it's Dario so it still has a few bits of interest. I think that's all his films now, I just have to get my hands on the episodes of Masters of Horror he did (I have the box sets on my Amazon wish list ready for Christmas ).

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1054
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/7/2011 7:06:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

I watched "The Card Player" ages ago, it was in a nice Anchor Bay box set I picked up for about a tenner, which sells for silly money these days on Amazon. Yes it's not great but it's Dario so it still has a few bits of interest. I think that's all his films now, I just have to get my hands on the episodes of Masters of Horror he did (I have the box sets on my Amazon wish list ready for Christmas ).

Masters Of Horror is superb and for me Dario's where the best of the lot,with Carpenters a close second.I have both box sets on DVD,and love all the episodes,it really is that good,i'm sure you will too.
PS: I know i've mentioned this before,but you should drop in to The Weird/Strange thread,i think you'll enjoy it.                                             http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1100947&mpage=437

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1055
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 1:19:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i recently got Phenomena and Inferno on Arrow blu ray. Total quality, from packaging through to transfer and extras. I think i prefer Phenomena to Inferno but i plan to pick up more of these Arrow Blu Rays. Most of my Argento, i still only own on VHS!

I stuck in my Anchor Bay DVD of Tenebrae the other day and i have to see it has probabnly the worst PQ i have ever seen on a DVD. It looks all digitised and horrible.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1056
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 5:26:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i recently got Phenomena and Inferno on Arrow blu ray. Total quality, from packaging through to transfer and extras. I think i prefer Phenomena to Inferno but i plan to pick up more of these Arrow Blu Rays. Most of my Argento, i still only own on VHS!

I stuck in my Anchor Bay DVD of Tenebrae the other day and i have to see it has probabnly the worst PQ i have ever seen on a DVD. It looks all digitised and horrible.

I have replaced all my VHS Dario films with DVD now i fancy them on Blu-Ray,so far Inferno and Tenebrae,both i recommend,they look so awesome.Thanks to Arrow Films,and great extras too.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 1057
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 5:29:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well Tenebrae i have to get now, seeing as my DVD looks so horrible. I heard good things about the blu ray. Inferno does look great true, very pleased with it. Good extra features too.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1058
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 5:50:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

well Tenebrae i have to get now, seeing as my DVD looks so horrible. I heard good things about the blu ray. Inferno does look great true, very pleased with it. Good extra features too.

Inferno has never looked or sounded better,and the extras are wonderfull,i must get the Blu-Ray of Phenomena,the DVD i have is ok but i know it should look a lot better.Don't forget to do a review of it mate,and tell us what you think of the picture and sound,it must be one of the most crazy Slashers ever with the mad Ape.

Post #: 1059
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 6:06:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

oh ok yeah i'll review it then. I was relly impressed with it as a whole. Bear in mind prior to getting the blu ray, i'd only seen the butchered Creepers. The extra running time does make it feel very different and much better.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1060
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 7:01:43 PM   
evil bill

quote:

oh ok yeah i'll review it then. I was relly impressed with it as a whole. Bear in mind prior to getting the blu ray, i'd only seen the butchered Creepers. The extra running time does make it feel very different and much better.

I first saw it as Creepers on VHS rental,then only a few years back got the uncut DVD here's the review.

The story is about a teenager Jennifer Corvino(Jennifer Connelly), daughter of a famous actor, arrives in an expensive board school in Switzerland,and shares her room with the French schoolmate Sophie(Federica Mastroianni). Jennifer is a sleepwalker,and is capable of telepathically communicate with insects,and one night while hile sleepwalking, she meets and becomes a friend of a Scottish entomologist, Prof. John McGregor(Donald Pleasence), and his chimpanzee Tonga. Jennifer decides to help  Dr. McGregor in the investigation of a serial killer,that is killing young girls in that area. When her friend Sophie disappears and Dr. McGregor is killed, the scared Jennifer decides to call her lawyer and return to Los Angeles. She is invited to stay in the house of Frau Brückner(Daria Nicolodi)waiting for her flight, but the serial killer is already closing in on her.

This is Jennifer Connelly's second film in a staring role,her first was Once Upon A Time In America,which Argento had seen and wanted her for the part.She only agreed after Dario hired a body double for the nude scenes,and a stunt double for scenes involving the chimp,and she got to use her own first name,as in the script the girl was called Martha.Now Argento says the movie is about the loss of innocence,which is why he wanted her,she was only 14 at the time,so once again Dario was pushing at the limits.Now the nude scenes that survived the cutting room floor are in fact a bit of a cheat as the girl is seen in see through robes,though still erotic enough to cause some outrage at the time.Also it has to be said that Connelly carries off her role very well,and helps lift the movie,in what was a very difficult role for any actress never mind a 14 year old.

This is the movie that scared the censors more than any other Argento film before, Phenomena 1985 or as it was also know as Creepers,where Dario mixes Gallio with the supernatural,again shows he just love's experimenting with his films.On release in it's cut form it was heavily criticized not just for the violence and eroticism,but for the plot,actors and soundtrack,in fact it took years for the full version to be released,and even then it got bad reviews.But to many miss the point this is a Fantasy/slasher movie, not a documentary, and it's  not supposed to reflect reality.Dario treats his  films as dreams/nightmares, and we all know that dreams are most often illogical, strange and wonderful and sometimes chilling.This is the only way to watch his film's,let the images take control and enjoy,and remember he aims his movies at adults,which is why they are very dark and violent.

As far as the acting goes in this film,as already said Jennifer is excellent and for me carried the movie,yet Donald was also pretty good if a bit ham at times,and of course  Daria was well up for her part.As far as the score,well it's another fine Goblin piece of music,though there's Motorhead and Iron Maiden thrown in,which is ok but then it was the 80's.If your lucky enough to get the111 minute version,your in for one hell of a gore fest,as it's easily one of Argento's most brutal bloodiest movies.

From the opening scene to the end,this is a dark,dark tale that never let's up on violence and gore,and of course as ever Argento make's it all look so erotic at times.Take the opening killing where we see a beautiful young Danish tourist played by Argento's eldest daughter Fiore,stranded in the middle of the Swiss countryside after missing her last bus back into town,and all filmed in board daylight in the beautiful Swiss countryside.She enters a house looking for help but after hearing some strange sounds she runs for her life,as a chained killer breaks loose and gives chase.Argento brilliantly cross-cutting between the traumatized tourist desperately asking for help, and the thick chains of an unseen foe slowly breaking away from the wall on which they've been bolted.The killer stabs and beheads her all in view of a beautiful water fall,yet we only see the flash of the blade,and all this in just a few opening minutes.Later we see a pool of rotting corpse's which are heroine falls into,while she to tries to escape a chained psycho,a totally bizarre scene that will make you flinch.There 's amazing scenes with insects,where we see are heroine speaking to them,again so bizarre,yet for it's time high art effects,there still was no CGI at hand,and the knife wedding chimp,has to be one of the most crazy ideas ever put to film,yet it's bloody scary.And what a blood soaked ending,that makes even some modern horror movies look tame,it's no surprise the Distributors got scared.

I think it is a far better film than the story would have you believe,and this is down to toning down his usually mind-bending visual style /colour schemes/cinema-scope compositions and atmospheric camera movements.Dario  going for a much colder visual look, with soft blue hues and black and white costume designs captured by a camera that tends to observe from a distance.All in maybe not a classic,but one hell of a horror fantasy movie,that is very daring in story and direction,and for me a creepy as hell nightmare of a movie.8/10

Post #: 1061
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/7/2011 8:41:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

great review, i could never do something as good as that bill! I find it really hard to write reviews.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1062
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/7/2011 7:36:11 PM   
evil bill

quote:

great review, i could never do something as good as that bill! I find it really hard to write reviews.

I'm sure you could mate,do as i did start off with short write ups,then slowly expand on the films that you really love the most.Dr Lenera started this way too,he always said he could not do a long review,now look at his reviews there like a fucking novel.

Post #: 1063
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/7/2011 8:28:23 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Giallo: 2008 (DVD released by Lionsgate, 2011)

Director: Dario Argento

Starring: Adrien Brody, Emanuelle Seigner, Elsa Pataky.

In Italy, Celine (Pataky) is kidnapped by a serial killer posing as a taxi driver, while on her way to meet her sister Linda (Seigner). When reporting her sister missing, and given short shrift by the desk sergeant because she's only been missing for a few hours, Linda is pointed in the direction of former FBI agent and now Inspector Enzo Avolfi (Brody) who is investigating a pattern killer who's M.O fits the disappearance of Celine. The killer only kidnaps beautiful foreign women and mutilates them, destroying their beauty before dumping the dead body. Linda and Avolfi team up in an attempt to find Celine before she becomes the latest victim of the killer known as Yellow.

So here we have the much derided Dario Argento thriller, as Argento fans will know, the film was dogged by problems upon release, neither the director or producer/star Brody were particularly happy, Argento disliking the final cut and disassociating himself from it and Brody had to take legal action to get his salary paid in full. The trouble is that the films biggest flaws can be firmly put at the door of both of them in my opinion, because in there somewhere is a fantastic Argento film. There are two major problems with Giallo, the script and one hell of a casting flaw, more of which later.

Firstly the script, or rather the story (although if there is an alternative directors cut, maybe some of the problems with the story may be addressed). You see what most Argento fans like me were expecting here was a Hollywood version of a Giallo but what writers Jim Agnew and Sean Keller have given us is a pretty uninspiring and straightforward "Beauty in peril, race against time” thriller, with non of the (often implausible) twists and turns that a Giallo fan would expect. Sure both the detective and killer have a late on revealed back story, in part an explanation of why they are where they are today (and I won't spoil those here) but because of the casting, as a Giallo fan I was expecting a story twist which never came. The problems with the story could so easily have been fixed one feels if Argento had been let loose on the story/screenplay. The story doesn't just lack the twists and turns of a good Giallo but it also lacks the sly black humour that many of Argento's best films display.

SPOILERS AHEAD, sort of....

Now to the problem with the casting, for some bizarre reason, the killer, Yellow is also played by Brody (although credited to the Brody anagram Byron Deidra), in terrible makeup. Terrible because Brody has such a huge nose that it's almost impossible to disguise him and the viewer is left wondering why he's playing both parts, and expecting there to be some sort of link between the two characters which never materialises. This casting could have been interesting with an actor whose features are less identifiable and more easily disguised, but here it just doesn't work. The fact that there is no connection in the story between cop and killer, begs the question why did Brody play both parts, another actor could have played yellow and so much of this dissatisfaction would just not exist. Brody is credited as a producer, so either he had the idea and no one had the bottle to tell him how stupid an idea it was, or someone else had the idea and Brody's vanity got the better of him.

Now having said all that, for Argento fans this is definitely still worth a watch. Shot in Turin and using the now familiar colour palate (lush reds, white marble Italian architecture etc) this is at times a beautiful looking film. Argento always finds great locations and dresses his sets sumptuously, and the oddly voyeuristic camera angles beloved of his fans are all in evidence here. And of course the violence and gore are also present and correct and although there's nothing new or original on show (apart from one moment of restraint, not something one often associates with Dario, where the camera pulls away from a facial mutilation ala the ear severing in "Reservoir Dogs”) there's (just about) enough to satisfy the directors fans.

It's a frustrating watch for an Argento fan like myself because you know there is a superior film in here trying to get out, and as an introduction to the director it's probably best avoided in favour of one of the great mans classics. However it's nowhere near as bad or lamentable as some would have you believe (I read one review that called it laughable, it's certainly not that), having said that, roll on Dracula 3D.

Nice to read a review of this film that isn't totally negative, quite lok forward to seeing it now.  You should do more reviews............

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1064
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/7/2011 8:30:15 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

I'm sure you could mate,do as i did start off with short write ups,then slowly expand on the films that you really love the most.Dr Lenera started this way too,he always said he could not do a long review,now look at his reviews there like a fucking novel.

Well I always wanted to write a book ,so I'm getting there

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1065
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/7/2011 10:40:29 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Nice to read a review of this film that isn't totally negative, quite lok forward to seeing it now.  You should do more reviews............

Cheers Doc, (although if you end up hating it, don't blame me)

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1066
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 27/7/2011 8:46:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I always wanted to write a book ,so I'm getting there

You could write a book on Hammer Films going by what you know mate.
quote:

Discodez
quote:

Cheers Doc, (although if you end up hating it, don't blame me)

We will not blame you but Argento might?????

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1067
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/8/2011 8:58:38 PM   
evil bill

GIALLO 2009
In Torino, Celine, an American model, is abducted by a taxi driver while en route home to meet her sister Linda,an American flight attendant, visiting at her apartment. The next morning, Linda reports that Celine is missing - the sergeant in charge directs her to F.B.I. agent Inspector Enzo Avolfi whos from the Special New York City Department investigating a serial-killer called "Yellow"that kidnaps foreigners to destroy their beauty. When a Japanese woman is found at nearby a fountain, Enzo and Linda find that the girl is calling the abductor's skin is Yellow in color and Linda concludes that the guy might have jaundice.

Despite the misleading 'written and directed by' credit, he was simply a director for hire with the script written by the separately credited Jim Agnew and Sean Keller.This is a throwback to the type of distinctly Italian thriller that earned him his international reputation as "The Italian Hitchcock," Dario Argento's Giallo once again teams the director with producer and younger sibling Claudio Argento to tell the tale of a serial slasher with a penchant for cutting beautiful women.Now this film it would appear that Argento was trying to hark back to the good old days with this film,in a film which takes the genre name as its own title,but unfortunately he's missed the mark.It lacks the gore,tension and shocks we have come to love,and Marco Werba's Herrmannesque score well is just dull,it just needed Argento's regular collaborator Claudio Simonetti of Goblin to help lift this film.Adrien Brody made the decision not to use Argento's main man,and as executive producer, performed uncredited script doctoring duties and interfered in the overall finished edit.

On the plus side, thanks to Frederic Fasano's cinematography it's the best-looking Argento film in years,and has his unsurpassed use of camera angles and panning all intact and a joy to watch even if a little more subtle than some of his classics.There's also no return to the extreme and vivid colors of the Suspiria years,but it's a welcome move away from the pallid and lifeless look of many of his latter movies like The Card Player etc.Plenty of great locations in the wrong hands look dull,but here there is warmth to the colour scheme to the Turin locations.Also the gorgeous Emmanuelle Seigner and never disappoints in the role of a desperate woman seeking out her sister that is missing in a foreign country.Byron Dreida as "Yellow" is one evil perverse looking dude,and him masturbating in front of his laptop to images of bloodied women is one depraved moment you'll want to look away.No Oscar but still well acted,and in fact the rest of the cast too,are some of the best i've seen in a long time in an Argento movie.Though Adrien Brody does put in a very hammy performance as the cop,he seems to be imitating any number of 40s film noir,but is almost ends up in Frank Drebin territory,i kidd you not.

That aside there is also there are some neat set scenes of torture and violence,but that's not Giallo,it doesn't it fit into the genre he helped make infamous.The the main reason it's not is the fact that the killer's identity is revealed early in the film,yes gialli can vary greatly in content and style but the one thing they must retain is an element of mystery/suspense and this abandons it and adopts the approach of the torture porn sub-genre, of films like Hostel.That said Dario Argento is still making films today while many of his counterparts are not,this is because the director moves with the times. In the seventies, he made stylish seventies films; in the eighties, he made trashy eighties gore flicks, in the nineties he made over-complex nineties mindbending thrillers; and in the decade just gone,he has made the average Mother Of Tears and the Awesome Sleepless.Well in some ways this is more Mother Of Tears a great movie trying to surface,but overall lacking the bite we know he has in him.And despite all the Argento touchstones the writers incorporated in the screenplay, it's a rather soft by-the-numbers effort that could have been made by almost any capable director whose heart wasn't quite in it but still tried to make the best of what he had to work with.

Overall though if there's one thing that characterizes Dario Argento's 21st century output, it's its self-referential.For such a great filmmaker, his recent material has verged almost on self-parody,but with a generation of filmmakers that have grown up with his films and been influenced by them, some more profoundly than others. Some, like Tim Burton, have assimilated his visual style into their own.Quentin Tarantino lifting the music from The Bird with the Crystal Plumage for use in Death Proof, and Diablo Cody including a conversation debating the merits of Argento relative to H.G. Lewis in Juno.Argento still commands great respect and is why,i watched this twice before writing this review.For this is one of those film's that for me improves with each subsequent viewing,and why even with all it's faults is still a movie i will watch again,and recommend it to fellow Argento fans.7/10

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1068
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/8/2011 7:08:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

Now that's two reviews on this here thread that say the movie really isn't that bad, I actually look forward to seeing it now [for a while I was dreading it!].  For some reason I think your reviews for Argentos's films tend to be your best, I can't think why.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1069
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 8/8/2011 7:29:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Now that's two reviews on this here thread that say the movie really isn't that bad, I actually look forward to seeing it now [for a while I was dreading it!].  For some reason I think your reviews for Argentos's films tend to be your best, I can't think why.

Thanks mate,though i don't think this is classic Argento,i do believe it is far better than a lot of other Slasher fair out there,it's just a shame the star of the film had to much influence.This could have been a true return to form,but maybe Dracula 3D will be his next classic,though to be honest i think we expect to much from the Master Of Horror.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1070
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/8/2011 9:03:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Now to the problem with the casting, for some bizarre reason, the killer, Yellow is also played by Brody (although credited to the Brody anagram Byron Deidra), in terrible makeup. Terrible because Brody has such a huge nose that it's almost impossible to disguise him and the viewer is left wondering why he's playing both parts, and expecting there to be some sort of link between the two characters which never materialises. This casting could have been interesting with an actor whose features are less identifiable and more easily disguised, but here it just doesn't work. The fact that there is no connection in the story between cop and killer, begs the question why did Brody play both parts, another actor could have played yellow and so much of this dissatisfaction would just not exist. Brody is credited as a producer, so either he had the idea and no one had the bottle to tell him how stupid an idea it was, or someone else had the idea and Brody's vanity got the better of him.

I may be misremembering (I've only seen the film once and that was 2 years ago) but isn't it implied in a flashback that they're brothers?  Anyway here's a promo thingy for Dracula 3D

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dracula-3d/trailer

not really a trailer though

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1071
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/8/2011 9:22:29 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

I may be misremembering (I've only seen the film once and that was 2 years ago) but isn't it implied in a flashback that they're brothers?  Anyway here's a promo thingy for Dracula 3D

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dracula-3d/trailer

not really a trailer though

SPOILER AHEAD........

No not really, the flashbacks reveal that they are similar in as much that Enzo and Yellow think the same way (hence the "to catch a killer you have to think like a killer" tagline) but not a hint that they were brothers. I wouldn't have minded if that had been a big reveal but it's not, hence my huge issue with the casting.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 10/8/2011 9:24:33 AM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 1072
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 27/8/2011 11:55:57 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Arrow Video's new label, ArrowDrome, will release Deep Red at a cheap price with less special features on 26th September, so if you haven't bought the Special Edition, but it now. ArrowDrome will also release a DVD edition of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage on 28th November.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 27/8/2011 11:57:22 AM >

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1073
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 13/9/2011 7:34:00 PM   
evil bill

Right guy's and girls,i don't know if you've spotted it,but on The Hall Of Fame forum,there's a The Haunted House Of Fame -Horror Special round one.Two of Darios classics DEEP RED and SUSPIRIA are up for and looking votes,so pay it a vist and VOTE!!! for one of them.Here's the link http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3176140

And for those of us that can't wait here's a link to the offical DRACULA 3D site
http://www.dracula3d.it/
It's got plenty of pictures and behind the scenes footage to keep us happy.ENJOY.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 1074
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/9/2011 5:54:13 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I've already posted the Panel A artwork for Arrow's new release of Cat O'Nine Tails, so here's the Panel B artwork:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1075
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/9/2011 7:57:24 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Artwork for Panels C and D:

Post #: 1076
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/9/2011 6:42:32 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Artwork for Panels C and D:

We have to hand it to Arrow there doing a fine job,just the credit card ends up getting a bashing.

Post #: 1077
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 2/10/2011 3:33:51 PM   
Dr Lenera

In Torino, Italy, a young woman catches a taxi and is kidnapped by the driver and imprisoned in a dark room with other victims, some of whom have been tortured.  Soon after a second woman is kidnapped – Celine, an American model en route to meet her sister Linda.  The next morning Linda reports that Celine is missing and is directed to FBI Inspector Enzo Avolfi, who is investigating a serial killer who kidnaps foreigners and destroys their beauty.  Then a Japanese woman is found mutilated and half dead by a fountain, calling the abductor the Japanese word for ‘yellow’.  At last Avolfi has something to go on, though Linda feels he isn’t making enough effort to catch his prey……………

I think that most fans of Dario Argento will admit that his recent output is a considerable notch down from such great movies as Suspiria and The Stendahl Syndrome, and though I know it does have its defenders, I personally thought Mother Of Tears was an embarrassment and an incredibly depressing experience, leaving me trying to solve the mystery of how such a genius could make such utter garbage.  Giallo, which had a troubled post-production with Argento being denied final cut and star Adrien Brody ensuring that the film’s release was withheld until he was paid properly, comes with the general opinion that it’s another failure.  This Argento fan had to psyche himself up to watch it.  Could it really be another disaster?  Well, Giallo, though nowhere near a return to the director’s best form, is certainly a step up from The Card Player and Mother Of Tears, and doesn’t quite deserve either the generally bad reviews or the very limited distribution it has received.

Giallo opens with two kidnappings one after the other, and these are well staged and even exhibit a bit of the old Argento in their handling, with some interesting camera shots from on top of the taxi.  The first major impression one gets from Giallo though, is that this is Argento’s excursion into the ‘torture porn’ genre.  The director keeps hurling us into scenes, some of them very short but with considerable impact, set in the dark room where Yellow keeps his women and mutilates them.  These scenes have great intensity, and though some have remarked that the camera cuts away too much from the gore – for instance a tooth removal happens off screen – there is actually a fair bit of nastiness that you do see, including a hammer in the face and an especially bloody finger severing, while the sense of fear is very grim indeed.  The ’18 ‘certificate is certainly merited.  Unfortunately, the majority of the rest of the film is mostly average, though certainly not painful like Mother Of Tears.  The investigation does just about keep you watching, though there’s little actual suspense and no outstanding set pieces, though some flashbacks of Avolfi are very stylishly handled ,with great use of colour [appropriately mostly yellow] and at one point some interesting swaying camera movement.  The only especially exciting scene though involves a victim’s escape from her prison, and the climax though is a lame rehash of that of The Cat O’ Nine Tails.

If Giallo does see Argento getting back just a little of his old style and panache, he is hamstrung by other elements including the weak script by Jim Agnew and Sean Keller, which is misjudged in the extreme.  They wrote it as a supposedly as a tribute to Argento and sent it to him on the off chance that he may want to film it, but despite its title it isn’t much of an actual giallo at all. Early scenes may point to Avolfi as the killer, but that is soon dispensed with and after that there’s no real mystery except the question, why is Adrien Brody playing both killer and hero?  This bizarre decision, seemingly one of several by executive producer Brody, who seemed to overrule Argento on several matters, sounds interesting but ends up leading nowhere.  I hoped it may be revealed that Yellow is Avolfi’s brother, or something similar, but no, he’s just a madman played by the same guy who plays the hero, a pointless gimmick.

Likewise, the many flashbacks, showing traumatic events in the past of Avolfi, while as said before very well filmed, seem only to be there because lots of previous Argento films had similar flashbacks.  Avolfi having a troubled past, much like Yellow, doesn’t affect the outcome of anything in the film at all.  With little action, perhaps we could have gone for a more psychological approach and explored the way that both Avlolfi and Yellow are extremely disturbed, but no.  The script throws up interesting elements and does nothing with them.  The writers may have been Argento fans, but they don’t seem to have understood his films much at all. Interestingly the end credits do say Argento wrote the script.  Did he rewrite it?  Why are the original writers not credited?  There is a lot of mystery about this film, and I’m sure as time goes by things will be made clearer.  Argento has always been a very self-reverential filmmaker and there are the typical echoes of earlier works such as Opera and Deep Red, plus maybe some comments to fans who seem to want him to make the sort of films he used to.  No, Dario, we don’t especially want that, we just want you to make film that are good.

Visually Giallo is a cut above many recent Argento pictures, most of which have looked awfully cheap and like TV movies even when they’re not.  Here, Federic  Fasano’s photography gives the Italian locations a nice lush feel, and while it’s hardly outstanding,  it has more style than you might expect.  Sadly Adrien Brody, who replaced Vincent Gallo, is really quite weak.  As Avolfi he just mumbles with occasional shouting, as Yellow he hams it up so much I found him actually really funny, but I’m sure that was not intended.  One thing for sure; he’s certainly not scary [even when he’s masturbating over pictures of his victims].  I cannot understand why Brody botched his performances so much in this movie as he was, at least for a while, heavily invested in it.  Emmanuelle Siegner, who replaced Asia Argento, fares a bit better.  Marco Werba’s score is far more traditional than the usual Argento movie score, but mostly comes across as Danny Elfman on a tiny budget – honestly, there are times you may almost expect Batman to burst on to the screen and save the day.  Overall Giallo passes the time reasonably well, though an Argento film should do a lot more then that so it’s still a failure, albeit one not as awful as many make out.  I could be wrong, but I do sense signs of an upward swing in the director, and I reckon Dracula could be something very special indeed!
Rating:5/10

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1078
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 5/10/2011 6:08:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

In Torino, Italy, a young woman catches a taxi and is kidnapped by the driver and imprisoned in a dark room with other victims, some of whom have been tortured.  Soon after a second woman is kidnapped – Celine, an American model en route to meet her sister Linda.  The next morning Linda reports that Celine is missing and is directed to FBI Inspector Enzo Avolfi, who is investigating a serial killer who kidnaps foreigners and destroys their beauty.  Then a Japanese woman is found mutilated and half dead by a fountain, calling the abductor the Japanese word for 'yellow'.  At last Avolfi has something to go on, though Linda feels he isn't making enough effort to catch his prey……………

I think that most fans of Dario Argento will admit that his recent output is a considerable notch down from such great movies as Suspiria and The Stendahl Syndrome, and though I know it does have its defenders, I personally thought Mother Of Tears was an embarrassment and an incredibly depressing experience, leaving me trying to solve the mystery of how such a genius could make such utter garbage.  Giallo, which had a troubled post-production with Argento being denied final cut and star Adrien Brody ensuring that the film's release was withheld until he was paid properly, comes with the general opinion that it's another failure.  This Argento fan had to psyche himself up to watch it.  Could it really be another disaster?  Well, Giallo, though nowhere near a return to the director's best form, is certainly a step up from The Card Player and Mother Of Tears, and doesn't quite deserve either the generally bad reviews or the very limited distribution it has received.

I could be wrong, but I do sense signs of an upward swing in the director, and I reckon Dracula could be something very special indeed!
Rating:5/10

Nice review mate,and glad you gave it ago,and it did not disappoint to much.
I gave it 7/10,maybe a bit generous,but i did feel it was a return to form,and was far above the likes of Card Player,even though Brody had the right for Final cut.Argento was just a hired hand,even though his fingerprints are all over the script,and the overall visuals are trade mark Argento.This could have been another Opera,but due to Brody,it struggles to find it's spot in the great back catalog of Dario's classics,which is such a shame.Still it bodes well for DRACULA 3D,as we know Dario love's this sort of Gothic horror,and he's at the Helm,so i am looking forward to this,and just maybe the script he shelved of Frankenstein might get a dusting down.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1079
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 5/10/2011 7:18:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

Cheers Bill, and I remember reading about Argento's Frankenstein script, set [correcv me if I'm wrong, you the Argento expert!!] in Nazi Germany I believ, sounded fascinating.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI