Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 21/4/2011 9:08:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

You know, i read more and more praise for Phenomena but the film just didn't do it forme on first watch. I guess its time i dug out my Argento boxset and watched it again, just to give it another chance

Give it another go mate i did.

Phenomena 1985 Aka Creepers.
Teenager Jennifer Corvino(Jennifer Connelly), daughter of a famous actor, arrives in an expensive board school in Switzerland,and shares her room with the French schoolmate Sophie(Federica Mastroianni). Jennifer is a sleepwalker,and is capable of telepathically communicate with insects,and one night while hile sleepwalking, she meets and becomes a friend of a Scottish entomologist, Prof. John McGregor (Donald Pleasence), and his chimpanzee Tonga. Jennifer decides to help  Dr. McGregor in the investigation of a serial killer,that is killing young girls in that area. When her friend Sophie disappears and Dr. McGregor is killed, the scared Jennifer decides to call her lawyer and return to Los Angeles. She is invited to stay in the house of Frau Brückner(Daria Nicolodi)waiting for her flight, but the serial killer is already closing in on her.

This is Jennifer Connelly's second film in a staring role,her first was Once Upon A Time In America,which Argento had seen and wanted her for the part.She only agreed after Dario hired a body double for the nude scenes,and a stunt double for scenes involving the chimp,and she got to use her own first name,as in the script the girl was called Martha.Now Argento says the movie is about the loss of innocence,which is why he wanted her,she was only 14 at the time,so once again Dario was pushing at the limits.Now the nude scenes that survived the cutting room floor are in fact a bit of a cheat as the girl is seen in see through robes,though still erotic enough to cause some outrage at the time.Also it has to be said that Connelly carries off her role very well,and helps lift the movie,in what was a very difficult role for any actress never mind a 14 year old.

.As far as the acting goes in this film,as already said Jennifer is excellent and for me carried the movie,yet Donald was also pretty good if a bit ham at times,and of course  Daria was well up for her her part.The film score,well it's another fine Goblin piece of music,though there's Motorhead and Iron Maiden thrown in,which is ok but then it was the 80's so i'll forgive that.If your lucky enough to get the 111 minute version,your in for one hell of a gore fest,as it's easily one of Argento's most brutal bloodiest movies.

From the opening scene to the end,this is a dark,dark tale that never let's up on violence and gore,and of course as ever Argento make's it all look so erotic at times.Take the opening killing where we see a beautiful young Danish tourist played by Argento's eldest daughter Fiore,stranded in the middle of the Swiss countryside after missing her last bus back into town,and all filmed in board daylight in the beautiful Swiss countryside.She enters a house looking for help but after hearing some strange sounds she runs for her life,as a chained killer breaks loose and gives chase.Argento brilliantly cross-cutting between the traumatized tourist desperately asking for help, and the thick chains of an unseen foe slowly breaking away from the wall on which they've been bolted.The killer stabs and beheads her all in view of a beautiful water fall,yet we only see the flash of the blade,and all this in just a few opening minutes.Later we see a pool of rotting corpse's which are heroine falls into,while she to tries to escape a chained psycho,a totally bizarre scene that will make you flinch.There 's amazing scenes with insects,where we see are heroine speaking to them,again so bizarre,yet for it's time high art effects,there still was no CGI at hand,and the knife wedding chimp,has to be one of the most crazy ideas ever put to film,yet it's bloody scary.And what a blood soaked ending,that makes even some modern horror movies look tame,it's no surprise the Distributors got scared and cut 30 minutes from it
I think it is a far better film than the story would have you believe,and this is down to toning down his usually mind-bending visual style /colour schemes/cinema-scope compositions and atmospheric camera movements.Dario  going for a much colder visual look, with soft blue hues and black and white costume designs captured by a camera that tends to observe from a distance.Yet the set piece killings are a true treat for ay horror fan,and this has plenty of them,though the story tkes some getting used to.All in maybe not a classic,but one hell of a horror fantasy movie,that is very daring in story and direction,and for me a creepy as hell nightmare of a movie.7/10

I'm extremely fond of this one too and find it very underrated, what a great and very observant review too. If this is giving us on HCF a taster of what is to  come

Yes indeed it is a taster of what i have already on draft,and it's going to be one long read full of reviews and the fact and fiction of Argento.I also talk about how badly his movies are chopped,in the case of this movie it lost 30 minutes before release,cause the distributors where fearful the MPAA would give it the dreaded 'X'.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 21/4/2011 9:17:47 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1021
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/4/2011 3:01:51 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Can anyone tell me why the Arrow version of Phenomena appears to be longer than earlier versions (by about 5 minutes) even though both are "uncut" according to the BBFC. Have some lost scenes been found or something?

I'm assuming it has the 4 or 5 mins worth of footage that exists only in the Italian version.  I have a German DVD which has these scenes [which are nothing special, though there's a longer struggle between Jennifer Connelly and Daria Nicolodi] but they are only in Italian with English subtitles. I don't think these bits were dubbed into English, so I reckon that'll be the case with the Arrow DVD too, if it does have those scenes.

Okely Dokely doo! Cheers for the info....

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 1022
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/5/2011 8:46:42 PM   
evil bill

Phantom Of The Opera 1998

Dario's adaptation of Gaston Leroux's classic tale set in Paris 1877.In this rats save a baby from death and raise him in the underground of the Opera de Paris.The phantom is not a disfigured individual in this version, but rather is an unwashed orphan abandoned in the sewers under the Paris Opera & raised by rats,and who falls in love with Christine Daaé, an opera singer just beginning her career. He fights for her love against the aristocratic Baron Raoul De Chagny,and his nemesis the chief exterminator who develops a rat-catching machine.The Phantom invokes death upon anyone who dares harm his beloved rats,or anyone he loves.

I believe that this version of Phantom of the Opera is one of the most unique you will ever see,and this is all because of Argento's unique visionary style,a director that has the gut's to try and take a story and bend it to his will.This is no classic compared to say Opera or Deep Red,but i'd rather watch this than any other take on this story,as it is just awesome,in look,set's,costumes,music,acting and inventive gore courtesy of Sergio Stivaletti,may be some of his best work.Dario went and researched everything he could about Paris in 1877 so as to capture that period in all it's glory,he wanted as usual to give this film a distinctive look,like no other movie out there.And this he succeeds in doing with the help of Ronnie Taylor who did the cinematography for Argento on Opera,as once again he delivers some incredible lighting.Once again it's filmed in a real Opera house in Budapest this time,and of course the breath taking caves under the Opera house are all sets by Antonello Geleng,who had worked not only with Argento but Fulci on many set designs,but this is his best.

Julian Sands stars as the Phantom,and gives an inspired performance,which is up there with his best roles like Gothic 1986 or Boxing Helena 1992.You feel for him when you see him weep for his love of his life,and his controlled anger is chilling,as you see the rage behind his hypnotic eyes.And then there is the love of his life Christine Daae,the struggling opera singer,played with real heart by Asia Argento in a superbly touching performance,one of finest moments on screen.And when the two are together the screen burns,as the guys get Asia nude,the girls Julian,in some truly hot sex scenes all done to Ronnie's excellent cinematography,with candles and full on Gothic fairytale atmosphere.

There not the only actors/actresses to get there kit off,as in one scene an orgy in this film feels like a scene out of Caligula,it seems Dario wanted a lot more sex than gore this time round.But don't worry gore hounds for they are there,with a workman gnawed in half,a man hunting down the Phantom impaled on a stalagmite,his girl friend her tongue bitten out.Plus the infamous dwarf beheaded by the rat catching machine,and the famous chandelier drop a bloody mass of smashed skulls.Ennio Morricone delivers another wonderfully lush rich opera inspired score,which more than adds to the Gothic atmosphere,and the excellent visuals.This is a film aimed at us fans of adult Gothic horror,that has lots of romance,dark ironic humour,dazzling visuals and a excellent cast.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 3/5/2011 8:47:59 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1023
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 6/5/2011 3:24:05 PM   
Discodez

I have a copy of "Do You Like Hitchcock" on it's way, anyone seen it?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1024
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/5/2011 8:56:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I have a copy of "Do You Like Hitchcock" on it's way, anyone seen it?

In 2004 he made his homage to Hitchcock,entitled Do You Like Hitchcock ,a made for TV movie, about Giulio a young film-student who occasionally watches his gorgeous neighbours girl across the street with binoculars,later he sees two girls meeting and discussing the plot of Hitchcock’s Strangers On A Train briefly, and then when the mother of the girl he’s been watching is found murdered one morning,like in the very film they discussed?

The plot is a playful mix of Strangers On A Train and Rear Window, with some parts inspired by other Hitchcock masterpieces as well,which if your a Hitchcock fan you’ll spot without my help.The script and pacing are surprisingly good, though it drags at some points in the film,and no gore at all in this as it was made for made for Italian TV. Argento manages to create some excellent suspense,and the acting is pretty decent for a bunch of unknowns,and another bonus is the dubbing is pretty good for a change.The characters are credible and interesting, though a few of them seem written in just to make room for a few twists near the end, and at some points, the characters seemed completely dumb to me.But it is a big improvement on the Card Player.
Overall very entertaining,with so many nods to various Hitchcock movies,so if you love Hitchcock or Argento it works very well,i for one enjoyed rewatching this one,though miss the lack of stand out killings.7/10

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1025
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 11/5/2011 3:46:25 PM   
Discodez

Cheers for the review Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1026
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 13/5/2011 6:03:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Cheers for the review Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

No problem,let us know what you think of this odd Argento movie(IE lack of gore).

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1027
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 17/5/2011 4:41:39 PM   
Discodez

UK Giallo DVD has some artwork (which is TBC apparently) at last.

BTW Bill, my copy of "Do you like Hitchcock" arrived over the weekend, so I'll let you know what I think soon.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 17/5/2011 4:42:51 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1028
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/5/2011 8:39:22 PM   
Pop Peelings

The scripts and acting in the few movies of his I have seen are fucking mindfuckingly bad.

I did enjoy the horror elements though. I have seen Tenebrae, Phenomena and Inferno.

http://poppeelings.wordpress.com

Remembering old music and movies – and doing a disservice to them both

Twitter = @poppeelings

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1029
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/5/2011 1:10:40 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pop Peelings

The scripts and acting in the few movies of his I have seen are fucking mindfuckingly bad.

I did enjoy the horror elements though. I have seen Tenebrae, Phenomena and Inferno.

Yes but half the time that's the charm of them!!

To be fair if you want decent plotting and acting you have to go back to his early classics, Bird with the Crystal Plummage and Deep Red are brilliantly plotted with excellent actors.

(in reply to Pop Peelings)
Post #: 1030
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/5/2011 7:25:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pop Peelings

Yes but half the time that's the charm of them!!

To be fair if you want decent plotting and acting you have to go back to his early classics, Bird with the Crystal Plummage and Deep Red are brilliantly plotted with excellent actors.

Argento movies are all about Visuals,he tends to ignore the actors and even his own script,though as Discodez has said,his early films are more Script/Acting on a high level.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1031
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 6/6/2011 3:45:32 PM   
Discodez

Official "Giallo" artwork....

UK release date is July 11th...

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1032
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 7/6/2011 5:07:24 PM   
livila

A bit of an update on Dracula from Asia, with pics
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/03/asia-argentodario-argentos-dracula/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1033
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 8/6/2011 8:14:23 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: livila

A bit of an update on Dracula from Asia, with pics
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/03/asia-argentodario-argentos-dracula/

Well it's great to see the film is off the ground and running,thanks for the pics mate.
Here's the poster.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 9/6/2011 5:44:11 PM >

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 1034
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/6/2011 3:23:59 AM   
livila

Oh I hadn't seen the poster, thanks. Could do with a bit of Dracula on the poster, like!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1035
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/6/2011 6:31:35 PM   
evil bill

The Card Player 2004
A sort of CSI set in Rome,it starts with the abduction of a British tourist,and a  police inspector,Anna Mari(Stefania Rocca) is contacted by the criminal, who calls himself The Card Player, challenging the police department to an online video poker game with him,where the prize would be the life of the victim. The Chief of Police refuses to participate and the victim is tortured and killed in front of an Internet web cam. The Irish detective John Brennan(Liam Cunningham) is assigned to investigate the case and when another woman is kidnapped, they decide to invite the addicted player Remo(Silvio Muccino) to play for the them so as they might trap the killer.

For any Argento Fan this is a bit flat with very little to none of his trade mark visuals and set piece killings,in fact very little gore and a completely different look.Now on first viewing i disliked this film,and only because of this feature have revisited it,and to my surprise it is far better than i could remember.The French cinematographer Benoit Debie(Irreversible) drops Sleepless bright Neon look for a more murky/seedy look which at times makes it difficult to see exactly what is happening.For my money this adds to the mystery and suspense,and one scene with the killer in Anna's apartment was chilling,and the nightmarish chase sequence with Remo also worked in this sort of lighting.But there are many laugh out loud moments,and too many clichés that add noting to the film,and the final heart warming ending with a twist is just a popcorn crowd pleasing dumb moment. Some poor acting and dubbing don't help with even a second viewing,but Stefania Rocca is excellent as the most engaging protagonist since Daria Nicolodi in Deep Red,and Liam Cunningham never looks out of his depth and keeps the dialogue from the script from sounding to silly.Also Silvio Muccino helps keep the acting from looking too ham,and looks the part,though you feel he's there to add some extra humour.Claudio Simonetti delivers an excellent tecno score,but even this can't stop this from being by far the weakest of Argento's out put for the cinema,even thought it's far better than some other old cult directors output of late.It's just a straight forward detective film in the end,that unlike his other work has no real stand out moments and has aged badly even though it's not that old.5/10

Do You Like Hitchcock
2004 .
This made for TV movie, is about Giulio a young film-student who occasionally watches his gorgeous neighbours girl across the street with binoculars,later he sees two girls meeting and discussing the plot of Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train briefly, and then when the mother of the girl he's been watching is found murdered one morning,like in the very film they discussed?

The plot is a playful mix of Strangers On A Train and Rear Window, with some parts inspired by other Hitchcock masterpieces as well,which if your a Hitchcock fan you'll spot without my help.The script and pacing are surprisingly good, though it drags at some points in the film,and no gore at all in this as it was made for made for Italian TV. Argento manages to create some excellent suspense,and the acting is pretty decent for a bunch of unknowns,and another bonus is the dubbing is pretty good for a change.The characters are credible and interesting, though a few of them seem written in just to make room for a few twists near the end, and at some points, the characters seemed completely dumb to me,still.6/10

Jenifer 2005
This TV movie was part of The Masters Of Horror US TV series,which is about  a detective Frank Spivey (Steven Weber)  who saves a disfigured Jenifer (Carrie Anne Fleming) from being sliced with a meat cleaver by a deranged homeless man. His concern and fears for Jenifer grows,he takes her from an insane asylum and brings her home to stay with his family for a time. He gradually becomes obsessed with Jenifer, and protecting her comes into conflict with his feelings about her behaviour.And as much as he loves her he now fears for his family,and is coming to a point,where her  behaviour is becoming unforgivable?

This is one dark, bizarre, sick and creepy tale of obsession and lust directed with gusto by Dario,and oddly erotic, with a sick twisted disfigured woman with a sexy body seducing a man with personal problems. The make-up is impressive, transforming the gorgeous Carrie Anne Fleming into a woman with a totally deformed face, is a very brave role of this young  up and coming actress. Also well cast is writer/actor Steven Weber, ( Mick Garris in the reworked version of King's The Shining,) stars as the world-weary cop,great bit of acting that adds to this great film.And this is his screenplay,in which he picked Dario to direct this one,what a great choice,as he left Dario to do what he's best at horror with style and his trademark gore,one of the more shocking episodes.And with a great score from Claudio Simonetti so this feels real Argento on form,though no classic,it is a great short movie with bite.7/10

Pelts 2006
This is about a sleazy fur trader Jake Feldman(Meat Loaf) who will do anything for quality skin. When Jake crosses paths with fur trapper Jameson(John Saxon) offering raccoon pelts caught aHere t the sight of an ancient burial place, Jake jumps at the chance to cash in by stealing them in order to win the heart of a stripper named Shanna(Ellen Ewusie). But little does Jake know is that the raccoon pelts are cursed and will bring bloody revenge against anyone who touches them.

Here again Dario provides a shocking reminder of how good he is with this haunting tale of ancient curses,screenplay by Mick Garris based on Pelts a short story by genre master F. Paul Wilson (The Keep). This is even better that his first episode,it is full of his trademark lighting and camera work,and with another splash of top notch gore,with some quite disgusting scenes of violence, murder and self mutilation.some of the highlights include a man's skull bashed in with a baseball bat, a guy's head being crushed with a steel trap, another dude cutting himself open with a large pair of scissors, and a lady sewing her eyes, nose and mouth shut with a needle and thread.And for a made for US TV show a hell of a lot of nudity from the strippers that Meat Loaf drools over, again this has that erotic look and feel about a man out to get the heart of a stripper,and of course to bed her,and he will sell his soul if that is what it takes. Meat Loaf  once again shows he can act best in some odd films(Rocky Horror and Fight Club for example)and is excellent as the greedy love lost fool,but it is John Saxon who steals the show with a superb performance in a welcome return in an Argento film.Plus the stunningly gorgeous Ellen Ewusieit as the sexy and enticing stripper Shanna,you can understand why Meat Loaf wants her so much,great bit of acting.Add to this Attila Szalay's sumptuous cinematography, and Claudio Simonetti's  classy haunting score it makes it hard to believe this is just a TV movie,well worth seeing.8/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 24/6/2011 6:34:06 PM >

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 1036
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 28/6/2011 8:01:57 PM   
livila

New behind the scenes pictures...
http://witchstory.altervista.org/dracula_3d.htm

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1037
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 30/6/2011 8:08:52 PM   
evil bill

quote:

New behind the scenes pictures...
http://witchstory.altervista.org/dracula_3d.htm

Most Excellent mate,keep them coming,i for one am looking forward to this film,maybe a return to form for Argento????

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 1038
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 30/6/2011 8:47:36 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Cat O'Nine Tails will be released on 26th September. Special features include:

- 4 Sleeve art options with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Two-sided fold-out poster
- Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing by Alan Jones, author of ‘Profondo Argento’
- Brand new High Definition transfer of the film (1080p)
- Optional English and Italian Mono Audio
- Dario Argento Remembers Cat O’ Nine Tails (1080p)
- Cat O’ Nine Tails in Reflection, an interview with long-time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi (1080p)
- Sergio Martino: The Art and Arteries of the Giallo (1080p)
- Original Trailer

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1039
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/7/2011 2:59:09 AM   
livila

You're welcome, evil bill!
A short behind the scenes article - no photos.
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=19771#ArticleComments

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 1040
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/7/2011 8:27:16 PM   
evil bill

quote:

You're welcome, evil bill!
A short behind the scenes article - no photos.
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=19771#ArticleComments

And a few more.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/45408/asia-argento-gets-long-tooth-new-dracula-3d-behind-scenes-stills

< Message edited by evil bill -- 5/7/2011 8:22:16 PM >

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 1041
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 7/7/2011 6:46:13 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Shameless have announced that they will release Four Flies on Grey Velvet on DVD and Blu-ray on 5th December.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1042
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 8/7/2011 8:01:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

Well Kermode didn't like the new film at all, have to say a film starring Brody is becoming a tell tale sign of it being bad

Anyway I will see if I can rent it next week. Please lets have thoughts once you have seen it.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 1043
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/7/2011 1:57:15 AM   
livila

http://www.dracula3d.it/

Behind the scenes and stills...

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 1044
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/7/2011 9:54:58 AM   
Discodez

I watched "Giallo" last night, I'll write up a bit more of a review later but I'll say that it's certainly not as awful as some people would have you believe, but the mistakes that were made with the production are pretty elementary and the people involved should really have known better....

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 1045
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/7/2011 7:45:49 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I watched "Giallo" last night, I'll write up a bit more of a review later but I'll say that it's certainly not as awful as some people would have you believe, but the mistakes that were made with the production are pretty elementary and the people involved should really have known better....

Look forward to a more in depth review of this one from yourself,going on what i've read it sounds badly produced,and by the numbers thriller by Argento.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1046
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/7/2011 8:02:43 PM   
Discodez

Giallo: 2008 (DVD released by Lionsgate, 2011)

Director: Dario Argento

Starring: Adrien Brody, Emanuelle Seigner, Elsa Pataky.

In Italy, Celine (Pataky) is kidnapped by a serial killer posing as a taxi driver, while on her way to meet her sister Linda (Seigner). When reporting her sister missing, and given short shrift by the desk sergeant because she’s only been missing for a few hours, Linda is pointed in the direction of former FBI agent and now Inspector Enzo Avolfi (Brody) who is investigating a pattern killer who’s M.O fits the disappearance of Celine. The killer only kidnaps beautiful foreign women and mutilates them, destroying their beauty before dumping the dead body. Linda and Avolfi team up in an attempt to find Celine before she becomes the latest victim of the killer known as Yellow.

So here we have the much derided Dario Argento thriller, as Argento fans will know, the film was dogged by problems upon release, neither the director or producer/star Brody were particularly happy, Argento disliking the final cut and disassociating himself from it and Brody had to take legal action to get his salary paid in full. The trouble is that the films biggest flaws can be firmly put at the door of both of them in my opinion, because in there somewhere is a fantastic Argento film. There are two major problems with Giallo, the script and one hell of a casting flaw, more of which later.

Firstly the script, or rather the story (although if there is an alternative directors cut, maybe some of the problems with the story may be addressed). You see what most Argento fans like me were expecting here was a Hollywood version of a Giallo but what writers Jim Agnew and Sean Keller have given us is a pretty uninspiring and straightforward “Beauty in peril, race against time” thriller, with non of the (often implausible) twists and turns that a Giallo fan would expect. Sure both the detective and killer have a late on revealed back story, in part an explanation of why they are where they are today (and I won’t spoil those here) but because of the casting, as a Giallo fan I was expecting a story twist which never came. The problems with the story could so easily have been fixed one feels if Argento had been let loose on the story/screenplay. The story doesn’t just lack the twists and turns of a good Giallo but it also lacks the sly black humour that many of Argento’s best films display.

SPOILERS AHEAD, sort of....

Now to the problem with the casting, for some bizarre reason, the killer, Yellow is also played by Brody (although credited to the Brody anagram Byron Deidra), in terrible makeup. Terrible because Brody has such a huge nose that it’s almost impossible to disguise him and the viewer is left wondering why he’s playing both parts, and expecting there to be some sort of link between the two characters which never materialises. This casting could have been interesting with an actor whose features are less identifiable and more easily disguised, but here it just doesn’t work. The fact that there is no connection in the story between cop and killer, begs the question why did Brody play both parts, another actor could have played yellow and so much of this dissatisfaction would just not exist. Brody is credited as a producer, so either he had the idea and no one had the bottle to tell him how stupid an idea it was, or someone else had the idea and Brody’s vanity got the better of him.

Now having said all that, for Argento fans this is definitely still worth a watch. Shot in Turin and using the now familiar colour palate (lush reds, white marble Italian architecture etc) this is at times a beautiful looking film. Argento always finds great locations and dresses his sets sumptuously, and the oddly voyeuristic camera angles beloved of his fans are all in evidence here. And of course the violence and gore are also present and correct and although there’s nothing new or original on show (apart from one moment of restraint, not something one often associates with Dario, where the camera pulls away from a facial mutilation ala the ear severing in “Reservoir Dogs”) there’s (just about) enough to satisfy the directors fans.

It’s a frustrating watch for an Argento fan like myself because you know there is a superior film in here trying to get out, and as an introduction to the director it’s probably best avoided in favour of one of the great mans classics. However it’s nowhere near as bad or lamentable as some would have you believe (I read one review that called it laughable, it's certainly not that), having said that, roll on Dracula 3D.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1047
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 13/7/2011 5:34:36 AM   
hairdbeezt8

After watching Opera and Deep Red that Argento has mastered his visual style. These movies excel in their cinematography, lighting, and color. I am not a big fan of his choice of musical scores. I love the subject matter of his films and he tends to explore interesting psychological themes.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1048
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/7/2011 7:50:46 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: hairdbeezt8

After watching Opera and Deep Red that Argento has mastered his visual style. These movies excel in their cinematography, lighting, and color. I am not a big fan of his choice of musical scores. I love the subject matter of his films and he tends to explore interesting psychological themes.

WELCOME to this thread,and he is one of the most visual and interesting directors around,and loves givingng his films psychological themes,as you've noted.

(in reply to hairdbeezt8)
Post #: 1049
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/7/2011 7:53:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Giallo: 2008 (DVD released by Lionsgate, 2011)

Director: Dario Argento

Starring: Adrien Brody, Emanuelle Seigner, Elsa Pataky.

In Italy, Celine (Pataky) is kidnapped by a serial killer posing as a taxi driver, while on her way to meet her sister Linda (Seigner). When reporting her sister missing, and given short shrift by the desk sergeant because she's only been missing for a few hours, Linda is pointed in the direction of former FBI agent and now Inspector Enzo Avolfi (Brody) who is investigating a pattern killer who's M.O fits the disappearance of Celine. The killer only kidnaps beautiful foreign women and mutilates them, destroying their beauty before dumping the dead body. Linda and Avolfi team up in an attempt to find Celine before she becomes the latest victim of the killer known as Yellow.

So here we have the much derided Dario Argento thriller, as Argento fans will know, the film was dogged by problems upon release, neither the director or producer/star Brody were particularly happy, Argento disliking the final cut and disassociating himself from it and Brody had to take legal action to get his salary paid in full. The trouble is that the films biggest flaws can be firmly put at the door of both of them in my opinion, because in there somewhere is a fantastic Argento film. There are two major problems with Giallo, the script and one hell of a casting flaw, more of which later.

Firstly the script, or rather the story (although if there is an alternative directors cut, maybe some of the problems with the story may be addressed). You see what most Argento fans like me were expecting here was a Hollywood version of a Giallo but what writers Jim Agnew and Sean Keller have given us is a pretty uninspiring and straightforward "Beauty in peril, race against time” thriller, with non of the (often implausible) twists and turns that a Giallo fan would expect. Sure both the detective and killer have a late on revealed back story, in part an explanation of why they are where they are today (and I won't spoil those here) but because of the casting, as a Giallo fan I was expecting a story twist which never came. The problems with the story could so easily have been fixed one feels if Argento had been let loose on the story/screenplay. The story doesn't just lack the twists and turns of a good Giallo but it also lacks the sly black humour that many of Argento's best films display.

SPOILERS AHEAD, sort of....

Now to the problem with the casting, for some bizarre reason, the killer, Yellow is also played by Brody (although credited to the Brody anagram Byron Deidra), in terrible makeup. Terrible because Brody has such a huge nose that it's almost impossible to disguise him and the viewer is left wondering why he's playing both parts, and expecting there to be some sort of link between the two characters which never materialises. This casting could have been interesting with an actor whose features are less identifiable and more easily disguised, but here it just doesn't work. The fact that there is no connection in the story between cop and killer, begs the question why did Brody play both parts, another actor could have played yellow and so much of this dissatisfaction would just not exist. Brody is credited as a producer, so either he had the idea and no one had the bottle to tell him how stupid an idea it was, or someone else had the idea and Brody's vanity got the better of him.

Now having said all that, for Argento fans this is definitely still worth a watch. Shot in Turin and using the now familiar colour palate (lush reds, white marble Italian architecture etc) this is at times a beautiful looking film. Argento always finds great locations and dresses his sets sumptuously, and the oddly voyeuristic camera angles beloved of his fans are all in evidence here. And of course the violence and gore are also present and correct and although there's nothing new or original on show (apart from one moment of restraint, not something one often associates with Dario, where the camera pulls away from a facial mutilation ala the ear severing in "Reservoir Dogs”) there's (just about) enough to satisfy the directors fans.

It's a frustrating watch for an Argento fan like myself because you know there is a superior film in here trying to get out, and as an introduction to the director it's probably best avoided in favour of one of the great mans classics. However it's nowhere near as bad or lamentable as some would have you believe (I read one review that called it laughable, it's certainly not that), having said that, roll on Dracula 3D.

What a review,so well balanced from the view of a true fan not afraid to point out the faults,yet still knowing us fans will give it ago.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI