Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/2/2011 6:30:19 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Arrow will release Phenomena on 7th March.

Is that on Bluray mate? Its one of my least favourite Argento's, but being a collector i guess i'll be buying at the right price

DVD and Blu-ray . Here are the confirmed extras:

- 4 panel reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Two sided fold out poster with new art work
- Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on Phenomena by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
- High Definition transfer of the Italian cut of the film
- Original English* & Italian Stereo Audio
- Brand new subtitle translation of the Italian and optional English subtitles of the English audio

SPECIAL FEATURES:

- Introduction by special effects artist Sergio Stivaletti (1080p)
- Dario's Monkey Business: The Making of Phenomena - A 50 minute long documentary featuring interviews with key talent behind the film including director Dario Argento, star Daria Nicolodi, underwater photographer Gianlorenzo Battaglia and more! (1080p)
- Music for Maggots - An Interview with composer with Claudio Simonetti (1080p)
- Creepers for Creatures - Sergio Stivaletti lives Q&A sessions from Dublin and Edinburgh (1080p)

Presented in original 1.66:1 (16x9) Aspect Ratio with English & Italian Stereo Audio options.

*The English Audio track has some portions of English audio missing. This was either never recorded or has been lost. Scenes without English audio automatically revert to the Italian audio with English subtitles.

Blu-ray Region ABC

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 991
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 2/2/2011 7:18:56 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Panel 2 artwork for Phenomena:

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 992
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/2/2011 7:51:27 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Panel 3:

Post #: 993
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/2/2011 12:30:10 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Panel 4:

Post #: 994
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/2/2011 2:33:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Panel 4:

That is the cover of ye old VHS rental tape i had,and of course the name it was released under in the UK,back in the good old 80's.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 995
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/2/2011 10:27:30 AM   
Discodez

Argento completists (without a R1 DVD player) might like to know that Amazon UK are taking pre-orders for a UK release of "Giallo".

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 996
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/2/2011 4:09:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Argento completists (without a R1 DVD player) might like to know that Amazon UK are taking pre-orders for a UK release of "Giallo".

Well it's had bad press and Argento has turned his back on it,but i still think it's worth a look,so it will be ordered.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 997
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/2/2011 12:01:32 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

Well it's had bad press and Argento has turned his back on it,but i still think it's worth a look,so it will be ordered.

Yeh,  i will watch it but doubtful i'll be buying it. I'm sure i read somewhere he was gonna start work on a Dracula film, but sadly have heard nothing since

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 998
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/2/2011 12:38:51 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeh,  i will watch it but doubtful i'll be buying it. I'm sure i read somewhere he was gonna start work on a Dracula film, but sadly have heard nothing since

Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing announced on this very site a couple of days ago...
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30230

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 999
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/2/2011 12:40:33 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

Quite.. Well if I'm not embarrassed about having Phantom or Inferno on my shelves than Giallo won't be a problem!!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1000
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/2/2011 1:19:05 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing announced on this very site a couple of days ago...
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30230

Thanks mate, thats great news! I only checked IMDB and with nothing on there i presumed it wasn't happening. Argento making a Dracula film, ah, thats made my day that has!  

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1001
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/2/2011 4:08:44 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quite.. Well if I'm not embarrassed about having Phantom or Inferno on my shelves than Giallo won't be a problem!!

INFERNO is one of my favorite Argento movies,and Phantom is fun if a little weak,still it's not as bad as The Card Player.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1002
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 28/2/2011 4:12:34 PM   
Discodez

quote:

INFERNO is one of my favorite Argento movies,and Phantom is fun if a little weak,still it's not as bad as The Card Player.

Now see, I actually quite like The Card Player - a bit weak to borrow your phrase but still a pretty good Giallo I thought. 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1003
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 28/2/2011 6:44:00 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Now see, I actually quite like The Card Player - a bit weak to borrow your phrase but still a pretty good Giallo I thought. 

That's the problem with Argento,even his so called weak movies are better than some of the dross out there.Mother Of Tears is point in case,it's the weakest of The Three Mothers trilogy,yet still full of Argento trade mark images,but just not enough.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1004
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/3/2011 3:25:16 PM   
Discodez

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I loved "Mother of Tears", thought it really showed Argento's sense of humour, especially the ending, which basically boiled down to, burn the Witches favourite dress and watch her explode in a massive girly hissy fit! Brilliant.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1005
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 1/3/2011 6:47:14 PM   
evil bill

quote:

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I loved "Mother of Tears", thought it really showed Argento's sense of humour, especially the ending, which basically boiled down to, burn the Witches favourite dress and watch her explode in a massive girly hissy fit! Brilliant.

Well here's my old review you might enjoy mate.
MOTHER OF TEARS (2008)

The long awaited final part of the Three Mothers trilogy,begins with a unmarked grave opened outside a ancient cemetery.There is the corpse of the the man who built the Mothers homes,and a casket with some ancient objects and an urn,these are sent by a priest unopened to a museum with a letter of warning.But two foolish interns open the casket and release the demons and the Mother of Tears who have been trapped within.Evil women from around the world begin to congregate in Rome as the city is engulfed in random violence,they have come to worship there leader The Mother Of Tears,the last and most powerful witch of the Three Mothers.She is out to bring darkness to the world,and destroy all who get in her way so Evil can reign supreme.Only a young intern Sarah (Asia Argento),who escaped the horror at the museum,and has supernatural powers of her own,stands in the way of evil.

First this is no SUSPIRIA with it's great stand out opening,or even INFERNO with it's beautiful use of colour and music,but it is an excellent horror movie that will work without you knowing anything about the previous movies.And it is Argento's way of bringing the Three Mothers story bang up to date,both visually and musically,the new score by Goblin's Claudio Simonetti is a killer score that as you'd expect works well with the action on screen.Action might sound strange to Argento fans,but that's what this new twist on the Three Mothers tale delivers,with gore galore,nudity,violence,dark twisted humor and a nasty monkey for good measure.Argento just throws everything into this insane mixing pot of a plot,but it works in a strange way,with it's knowing nods to previous Three Mother movies and other Argento classics.It borders at time's on being just so over the top,as to be camp,but only just as the extreme violence reminds you,your in Argento land now and there's no escape.This is black humor mixed with out right horror that only the Master of Horror himself could make it work,with his own twisted scene of fun that appears in most of his movies to be honest.
There are so many pure blood thirsty violent scenes,it's hard to list them all,but here's a few,woman being ripped apart by demons and her own intestines used to hang her,evil Jap woman gets head crushed in sliding door on train.The climax is just total mayhem of sex and violence that is strangely beautiful on the eye,as only Argento knows how to.The CGI is a bit weak near the end,but no where near as bad as I Am Legend,and the plot as always is secondary to the visuals,but still far better than a lot of other so called horror scripts out in movie land.Overall it's a fine addition to the Argento classics,yet as i've already said it's no Suspiria,but still highly enjoyable modern take and a great gore fest done in the best possible taste.A must see for any Horror fan never mind Argento fans,and show's that there is only one Master Of Horror still worth the money,which is all on screen.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1006
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/3/2011 4:32:12 PM   
Discodez

Nice review. (thanks for sharing)

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1007
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 5/3/2011 4:32:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Nice review. (thanks for sharing)

No problem mate,and being as your a big fan of Argento,i'm sure you like other strange/weird movies,so why not join us on the darkest thread on this site The Strange/Weird favorite movie fan base,here's a link http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1100947 now be warned it has grown a fair bit and is full of sick movie reviews from the biggest fans of horror around.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1008
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/3/2011 3:15:10 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Watched Phenomena last night. Here is my review:

Reaction
Dario Argento's Phenomena is unlike anything the Master of Giallo has done before. From the opening scene, in which a stranded student is brutally decapitated, we are taken on a bizarre and trippy journey, although it has a dreamlike quality. Even though Goblin scores the film, for the first time in an Argento film, Heavy Metal dominates the soundtrack, with contributions from the likes of Iron Maiden and Motorhead, which makes the film more frenzied

Argento's direction, as usual, is flawless, as he delivers tight action and fascinating exposition throughout. Unfortunately, despite the strong performance from Jennifer Connelly, Donald Pleasence and Daria Nicolodi, the film falls flat at times as there are too many ideas crammed into the plot. It feels as if Argento has combined two movie scripts together to create one story, and Phenomena starts to go off in different directions.

However, Phenomena is still an interesting watch, and delivers in the suspense and mystery stakes, with brilliant gore effects.

Overall
Utterly bonkers, and somewhat weak, but the film is proof that Argento was still a genius at his creative peak and determined enough to fight off the American pretenders to his crown, who were delivering dumb money-spinning slasher flicks.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1009
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/3/2011 3:45:34 PM   
dj vivace

You know, i read more and more praise for Phenomena but the film just didn't do it forme on first watch. I guess its time i dug out my Argento boxset and watched it again, just to give it another chance

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 1010
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 17/3/2011 8:49:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Watched Phenomena last night. Here is my review:

Reaction
Dario Argento's Phenomena is unlike anything the Master of Giallo has done before. From the opening scene, in which a stranded student is brutally decapitated, we are taken on a bizarre and trippy journey, although it has a dreamlike quality. Even though Goblin scores the film, for the first time in an Argento film, Heavy Metal dominates the soundtrack, with contributions from the likes of Iron Maiden and Motorhead, which makes the film more frenzied

Argento's direction, as usual, is flawless, as he delivers tight action and fascinating exposition throughout. Unfortunately, despite the strong performance from Jennifer Connelly, Donald Pleasence and Daria Nicolodi, the film falls flat at times as there are too many ideas crammed into the plot. It feels as if Argento has combined two movie scripts together to create one story, and Phenomena starts to go off in different directions.

However, Phenomena is still an interesting watch, and delivers in the suspense and mystery stakes, with brilliant gore effects.

Overall
Utterly bonkers, and somewhat weak, but the film is proof that Argento was still a genius at his creative peak and determined enough to fight off the American pretenders to his crown, who were delivering dumb money-spinning slasher flicks.

He was at his peak and not afraid to take risks,something now lacking in all horror movies of today.
quote:

dj vivace
You know, i read more and more praise for Phenomena but the film just didn't do it forme on first watch. I guess its time i dug out my Argento boxset and watched it again, just to give it another chance

You need to give this another go,as compared to modern horror of today,this is classic mad weird horror,that has more to offer than today's shit.

Post #: 1011
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/3/2011 6:12:39 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Arrow have announced details of the special features for Tenebrae and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

Tenebrae:

- 4 Sleeve art options with original and newly commissioned art work
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on Tenebrae by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
- Brand new HD restoration of the film
- Optional original mono English and Italian audio
- Audio Commentary with Argento experts, journalists and writers Kim Newman and Alan Jones
- Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Introduction by Daria Nicolodi
- Screaming Queen! Daria Nicolodi remembers Tenebrae
- The Unsane World of Tenebrae: An interview with Dario Argento
- A Composition for Carnage: Claudio Simonetti on Tenebrae
- Goblin: Tenebrae and Phenomena Live from the Glasgow Arches
- Original Trailer

Released on 23rd May 2011.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage:

- Brand new High Definition restoration of the film from the original negative presented in Director of Photography, Vittorio Storaro’s original 2:1 Univisium aspect ratio
- 4 Sleeve art options with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Two-sided fold-out poster
- Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Alan Jones, author of ‘Profondo Argento’
- Brand new HD restoration of the film presented in 1080p
- A Crystal Classic: Luigi Cozzi Remembers Dario’s Bloody Bird (1080p)
- Sergio Martino: The Genesis of the Giallo (1080p)
- The Italian Hitchcock: Dario Argento Remembers The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1080p)

Released on 2nd May 2011.

Arrow have also announced that they will release Dario Argento: The Neo-Giallo Collection, a boxset comprising of the Special Editions of Terror at the Opera, The Stendhal Syndrome, Sleepless and The Card Player, on the same date as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Here's the artwork:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1012
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/3/2011 7:41:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Arrow have announced details of the special features for Tenebrae and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

Tenebrae:

- 4 Sleeve art options with original and newly commissioned art work
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Exclusive collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on Tenebrae by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
- Brand new HD restoration of the film
- Optional original mono English and Italian audio
- Audio Commentary with Argento experts, journalists and writers Kim Newman and Alan Jones
- Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Introduction by Daria Nicolodi
- Screaming Queen! Daria Nicolodi remembers Tenebrae
- The Unsane World of Tenebrae: An interview with Dario Argento
- A Composition for Carnage: Claudio Simonetti on Tenebrae
- Goblin: Tenebrae and Phenomena Live from the Glasgow Arches
- Original Trailer

Released on 23rd May 2011.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage:

- Brand new High Definition restoration of the film from the original negative presented in Director of Photography, Vittorio Storaro's original 2:1 Univisium aspect ratio
- 4 Sleeve art options with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Two-sided fold-out poster
- Exclusive collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Alan Jones, author of 'Profondo Argento'
- Brand new HD restoration of the film presented in 1080p
- A Crystal Classic: Luigi Cozzi Remembers Dario's Bloody Bird (1080p)
- Sergio Martino: The Genesis of the Giallo (1080p)
- The Italian Hitchcock: Dario Argento Remembers The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1080p)

Released on 2nd May 2011.

Arrow have also announced that they will release Dario Argento: The Neo-Giallo Collection, a boxset comprising of the Special Editions of Terror at the Opera, The Stendhal Syndrome, Sleepless and The Card Player, on the same date as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Here's the artwork:

Just Bloody AWESOME!!!what a line up on one box.

Post #: 1013
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/4/2011 4:19:23 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Here are the remaining artwork panels for The Bird with the Crystal Plumage:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1014
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/4/2011 7:12:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Here are the remaining artwork panels for The Bird with the Crystal Plumage:

I used to think Anchor Bay was the best at breathing life into these classics,well Arrow has  taken the crown,in fact they can call themselves Emperor.

Post #: 1015
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 18/4/2011 7:40:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Give it another go mate i did.

Phenomena 1985 Aka Creepers.
Teenager Jennifer Corvino(Jennifer Connelly), daughter of a famous actor, arrives in an expensive board school in Switzerland,and shares her room with the French schoolmate Sophie(Federica Mastroianni). Jennifer is a sleepwalker,and is capable of telepathically communicate with insects,and one night while hile sleepwalking, she meets and becomes a friend of a Scottish entomologist, Prof. John McGregor (Donald Pleasence), and his chimpanzee Tonga. Jennifer decides to help  Dr. McGregor in the investigation of a serial killer,that is killing young girls in that area. When her friend Sophie disappears and Dr. McGregor is killed, the scared Jennifer decides to call her lawyer and return to Los Angeles. She is invited to stay in the house of Frau Brückner(Daria Nicolodi)waiting for her flight, but the serial killer is already closing in on her.

This is Jennifer Connelly's second film in a staring role,her first was Once Upon A Time In America,which Argento had seen and wanted her for the part.She only agreed after Dario hired a body double for the nude scenes,and a stunt double for scenes involving the chimp,and she got to use her own first name,as in the script the girl was called Martha.Now Argento says the movie is about the loss of innocence,which is why he wanted her,she was only 14 at the time,so once again Dario was pushing at the limits.Now the nude scenes that survived the cutting room floor are in fact a bit of a cheat as the girl is seen in see through robes,though still erotic enough to cause some outrage at the time.Also it has to be said that Connelly carries off her role very well,and helps lift the movie,in what was a very difficult role for any actress never mind a 14 year old.

.As far as the acting goes in this film,as already said Jennifer is excellent and for me carried the movie,yet Donald was also pretty good if a bit ham at times,and of course  Daria was well up for her her part.The film score,well it's another fine Goblin piece of music,though there's Motorhead and Iron Maiden thrown in,which is ok but then it was the 80's so i'll forgive that.If your lucky enough to get the 111 minute version,your in for one hell of a gore fest,as it's easily one of Argento's most brutal bloodiest movies.

From the opening scene to the end,this is a dark,dark tale that never let's up on violence and gore,and of course as ever Argento make's it all look so erotic at times.Take the opening killing where we see a beautiful young Danish tourist played by Argento's eldest daughter Fiore,stranded in the middle of the Swiss countryside after missing her last bus back into town,and all filmed in board daylight in the beautiful Swiss countryside.She enters a house looking for help but after hearing some strange sounds she runs for her life,as a chained killer breaks loose and gives chase.Argento brilliantly cross-cutting between the traumatized tourist desperately asking for help, and the thick chains of an unseen foe slowly breaking away from the wall on which they've been bolted.The killer stabs and beheads her all in view of a beautiful water fall,yet we only see the flash of the blade,and all this in just a few opening minutes.Later we see a pool of rotting corpse's which are heroine falls into,while she to tries to escape a chained psycho,a totally bizarre scene that will make you flinch.There 's amazing scenes with insects,where we see are heroine speaking to them,again so bizarre,yet for it's time high art effects,there still was no CGI at hand,and the knife wedding chimp,has to be one of the most crazy ideas ever put to film,yet it's bloody scary.And what a blood soaked ending,that makes even some modern horror movies look tame,it's no surprise the Distributors got scared and cut 30 minutes from it
I think it is a far better film than the story would have you believe,and this is down to toning down his usually mind-bending visual style /colour schemes/cinema-scope compositions and atmospheric camera movements.Dario  going for a much colder visual look, with soft blue hues and black and white costume designs captured by a camera that tends to observe from a distance.Yet the set piece killings are a true treat for ay horror fan,and this has plenty of them,though the story tkes some getting used to.All in maybe not a classic,but one hell of a horror fantasy movie,that is very daring in story and direction,and for me a creepy as hell nightmare of a movie.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/4/2011 8:22:24 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 1016
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/4/2011 11:47:21 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Due to additional work being done, the release dates for Arrow's new Special Editions of Tenebrae and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage have been changed. Tenebrae is now scheduled to be released on 13th June, while The Bird with the Crystal Plumage will be released on 30th May.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1017
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/4/2011 12:54:14 PM   
Discodez

Can anyone tell me why the Arrow version of Phenomena appears to be longer than earlier versions (by about 5 minutes) even though both are "uncut" according to the BBFC. Have some lost scenes been found or something?

Post #: 1018
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/4/2011 9:39:49 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Give it another go mate i did.

Phenomena 1985 Aka Creepers.
Teenager Jennifer Corvino(Jennifer Connelly), daughter of a famous actor, arrives in an expensive board school in Switzerland,and shares her room with the French schoolmate Sophie(Federica Mastroianni). Jennifer is a sleepwalker,and is capable of telepathically communicate with insects,and one night while hile sleepwalking, she meets and becomes a friend of a Scottish entomologist, Prof. John McGregor (Donald Pleasence), and his chimpanzee Tonga. Jennifer decides to help  Dr. McGregor in the investigation of a serial killer,that is killing young girls in that area. When her friend Sophie disappears and Dr. McGregor is killed, the scared Jennifer decides to call her lawyer and return to Los Angeles. She is invited to stay in the house of Frau Brückner(Daria Nicolodi)waiting for her flight, but the serial killer is already closing in on her.

This is Jennifer Connelly's second film in a staring role,her first was Once Upon A Time In America,which Argento had seen and wanted her for the part.She only agreed after Dario hired a body double for the nude scenes,and a stunt double for scenes involving the chimp,and she got to use her own first name,as in the script the girl was called Martha.Now Argento says the movie is about the loss of innocence,which is why he wanted her,she was only 14 at the time,so once again Dario was pushing at the limits.Now the nude scenes that survived the cutting room floor are in fact a bit of a cheat as the girl is seen in see through robes,though still erotic enough to cause some outrage at the time.Also it has to be said that Connelly carries off her role very well,and helps lift the movie,in what was a very difficult role for any actress never mind a 14 year old.

.As far as the acting goes in this film,as already said Jennifer is excellent and for me carried the movie,yet Donald was also pretty good if a bit ham at times,and of course  Daria was well up for her her part.The film score,well it's another fine Goblin piece of music,though there's Motorhead and Iron Maiden thrown in,which is ok but then it was the 80's so i'll forgive that.If your lucky enough to get the 111 minute version,your in for one hell of a gore fest,as it's easily one of Argento's most brutal bloodiest movies.

From the opening scene to the end,this is a dark,dark tale that never let's up on violence and gore,and of course as ever Argento make's it all look so erotic at times.Take the opening killing where we see a beautiful young Danish tourist played by Argento's eldest daughter Fiore,stranded in the middle of the Swiss countryside after missing her last bus back into town,and all filmed in board daylight in the beautiful Swiss countryside.She enters a house looking for help but after hearing some strange sounds she runs for her life,as a chained killer breaks loose and gives chase.Argento brilliantly cross-cutting between the traumatized tourist desperately asking for help, and the thick chains of an unseen foe slowly breaking away from the wall on which they've been bolted.The killer stabs and beheads her all in view of a beautiful water fall,yet we only see the flash of the blade,and all this in just a few opening minutes.Later we see a pool of rotting corpse's which are heroine falls into,while she to tries to escape a chained psycho,a totally bizarre scene that will make you flinch.There 's amazing scenes with insects,where we see are heroine speaking to them,again so bizarre,yet for it's time high art effects,there still was no CGI at hand,and the knife wedding chimp,has to be one of the most crazy ideas ever put to film,yet it's bloody scary.And what a blood soaked ending,that makes even some modern horror movies look tame,it's no surprise the Distributors got scared and cut 30 minutes from it
I think it is a far better film than the story would have you believe,and this is down to toning down his usually mind-bending visual style /colour schemes/cinema-scope compositions and atmospheric camera movements.Dario  going for a much colder visual look, with soft blue hues and black and white costume designs captured by a camera that tends to observe from a distance.Yet the set piece killings are a true treat for ay horror fan,and this has plenty of them,though the story tkes some getting used to.All in maybe not a classic,but one hell of a horror fantasy movie,that is very daring in story and direction,and for me a creepy as hell nightmare of a movie.7/10

I'm extremely fond of this one too and find it very underrated, what a great and very observant review too. If this is giving us on HCF a taster of what is to  come

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 20/4/2011 9:42:45 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 1019
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 20/4/2011 9:44:38 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Can anyone tell me why the Arrow version of Phenomena appears to be longer than earlier versions (by about 5 minutes) even though both are "uncut" according to the BBFC. Have some lost scenes been found or something?

I'm assuming it has the 4 or 5 mins worth of footage that exists only in the Italian version.  I have a German DVD which has these scenes [which are nothing special, though there's a longer struggle between Jennifer Connelly and Daria Nicolodi] but they are only in Italian with English subtitles. I don't think these bits were dubbed into English, so I reckon that'll be the case with the Arrow DVD too, if it does have those scenes.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI