Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/2/2007 12:54:38 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kira

Hi all!

I've seen Suspiria, Deep Red and Inferno (pretty long time ago on big screen, need to re-watch this one). A huge Huzzah for Suspiria!!! It's one of my absolute HG films ever. How can a director be inspired by Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and create a movie like this? I'm absolutely in love with the mad delirious colours of the Freiburg Tanzakademie. So sad that the house was destroyed. I wish I could live there (probably would have to join the covent of witches to survive a few days) . Inferno had that
freakin underwater scene and also fantastic lightning and music. Deep Red is a perfect giallo and the deaths are really awful and feel very real.

quote:

Was on the Darkdreams web site earlyer,the MOTHER OF TEARS title has been changed to THE THIRD MOTHER and it will be one of the highlights of the Cannes Fim Festvel.Argento has droped large portions of the script,cause it was'nt Frighting enough,and though the title should be The Third Mother for the fans of SUSPIRIA and INFERNO.Expect the final Three Mothers movie to be the best yet,as Argento is determened to show horror fans what HORROR should be

Cannes? Wow. Can't wait to watch the new one . Heard that Jessica Harper and Asia Argento are in the cast, true?

I beleive so and Daria Nicoldi Who was of Course Argentos muse and mother of Asia
Suspira is a masterpiece but i have a soft spot for Sleepless its well acted has some grusome deaths and is a huge return to form for the Master

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 61
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/2/2007 3:33:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

quote:

Hi all!

I've seen Suspiria, Deep Red and Inferno (pretty long time ago on big screen, need to re-watch this one). A huge Huzzah for Suspiria!!! It's one of my absolute HG films ever. How can a director be inspired by Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and create a movie like this? I'm absolutely in love with the mad delirious colours of the Freiburg Tanzakademie. So sad that the house was destroyed. I wish I could live there (probably would have to join the covent of witches to survive a few days) . Inferno had that
freakin underwater scene and also fantastic lightning and music. Deep Red is a perfect giallo and the deaths are really awful and feel very real.

quote:

Was on the Darkdreams web site earlyer,the MOTHER OF TEARS title has been changed to THE THIRD MOTHER and it will be one of the highlights of the Cannes Fim Festvel.Argento has droped large portions of the script,cause it was'nt Frighting enough,and though the title should be The Third Mother for the fans of SUSPIRIA and INFERNO.Expect the final Three Mothers movie to be the best yet,as Argento is determened to show horror fans what HORROR should be

Cannes? Wow. Can't wait to watch the new one . Heard that Jessica Harper and Asia Argento are in the cast, true?

I beleive so and Daria Nicoldi Who was of Course Argentos muse and mother of Asia
Suspira is a masterpiece but i have a soft spot for Sleepless its well acted has some grusome deaths and is a huge return to form for the Master

Id loved to have seen Supiria&Inferno on the big screenbut the first was on VHS and Inferno was on Laserdisc far better than tape.Also loved the underwater scene at the start,and the old man killing the cats only to be killed and ate by rats.
You should see SLEEPLESS it is a Filmburner30 said,a classic Argento movie with the extra disc,jusj perfect.Let's hope we get to see THE THIRD MOTHER on the big screen. 

< Message edited by evil bill -- 9/2/2007 3:34:58 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 62
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/2/2007 3:42:46 PM   
filmburner30

Well Anchor Bay did have a crack at a big Release film with The Toolbox Murders Directed By Tobe Hooper .
And considering the Screenwriters of that are involved with the 3rd Mother maybe they should pick it up for UK release ,heres hoping 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 63
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/2/2007 4:16:17 PM   
evil bill

LONG LIVE ANCHOR BAYThere double disc remasters of classic Italian Horror are the best thing to happen to DVD.And al;so all the other remastered horror movies they have released,are just what the doctor ordered.The Region 1 INFERNO is by Anchor Bay,which i pre ordered,but hopfully they will release it on region 2 also.

Post #: 64
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 9/2/2007 10:44:35 PM   
dj vivace

They bloody better release it on region 2 because i havent seen it!!

Kira, can i recommend to you Trauma aswell, its more of a thriller than horror, but has lots of horrific scenes in it and lots of dark and mysterious goings on. It also has a certain Brad Douriff in it too!!

My Ultimate Argento boxset has been dispatched from Amazon!!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 65
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/2/2007 3:51:09 PM   
Kira

quote:

cool, a movie about a hellish mother will star Asia's mum.

OK guys .. Trauma, Sleepless.. noted! And the
Ultimate Argento boxset sounds great!

Post #: 66
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/2/2007 5:00:57 PM   
evil bill

Got the Dario Argento Ulimate 6 disc,and have watched BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE on thursday night.PROFONDO ROSSO(Deep Red) last night and tonight CAT O'NINE TAILS later.It is an excellent collection of Argento Movies if you have not already got them and at £17.99 from Play.Com.TENABRE,OPERA are also worth getting and if you have a mulit region DVD player INFERNO uncut is out shortly on Play USA .com.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 67
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/2/2007 8:27:52 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

knock .. knock ...

[Gatekeeper:] Who's there?
[Kira:] It's me, Kira.
[Gatekeeper:] Want do you want?
[Kira:] Evil Bill said I should check in here.
[Gatekeeper:]  But you are F-E-M-A-L-E.
[Kira:] Yes.
[Gatekeeper:]  But you are no island inhabitant.
[Kira:] Yes.
[Gatekeeper:] But you will be entering very dangerous territory.
[Kira:] Yes...?
[Gatekeeper:]  How many of the master's movies have you seen?
[Kira:] Just three. But I want to watch them all .. REALLY...
[Gatekeeper:] Alright. Then take this dagger, spare a few blood drops and sign here.
[Kira:]  .. scribble ..
[Gatekeeper:]  ENTER THE REALMS OF ITALIAN DARKNESS
plop

Nice place. Have we met before?

A female Argento fan! Wonders will never cease! In my experience it's only men who have 'got' his films. Very cool. And I'm so jealous you've seen not one but three of his films on the big screen.

Does anyone on who posts on this thread know what the situation is with Four Flies On Grey Velvet on DVD. I can't understand why this one has never been released. I've had a really crappy pirate video for ages and although not great Argento it has some superb scenes.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 10/2/2007 8:32:15 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 68
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 11/2/2007 1:07:53 PM   
evil bill

Searched Darkdreams web site and could only find FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET on Video only no DVD's of it have been released,and the video's are only aviable in France and Holland.It's a movie i hav'nt seen of Dario's and i ca'nt find any details on it what's the story about??????

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 69
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 11:19:04 AM   
Kira

quote:

A female Argento fan! Wonders will never cease! In my experience it's only men who have 'got' his films. Very cool. And I'm so jealous you've seen not one but three of his films on the big screen.

The "big" screen was really unspectacular. It was a Argento "retrospective" at a Uni film festival, bad sound, absolutely no atmosphere. And I doubt that they had official copies, probably just showed DVD or video. And yes, my gender was quite under-represented .

It must be a genetic defect. I forced my parents to buy me Count Dracula action figures instead of Barbies.

The ultimate collection is currently out of stock at play.com. But amazon still has it for
£17.99. Will order that one later.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 70
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 12:45:04 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Searched Darkdreams web site and could only find FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET on Video only no DVD's of it have been released,and the video's are only aviable in France and Holland.It's a movie i hav'nt seen of Dario's and i ca'nt find any details on it what's the story about??????

Well its got Michael Brandon from Dempsey And Makepeace in it for a start and it is as you say ruddy difficult to get hold of,
Basiclly Brandons part is a man who accidentally kills a stalker and keeps getting photos from another unknown killer who begins to kill off his friends,
It also contains an apperance from Bud Spencer from all those Bud Spencer Terence Hill movies that cluttered up many Video shops in the 80S.Another task for Anchor Bay methinks

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 71
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 12:47:11 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

The "big" screen was really unspectacular. It was a Argento "retrospective" at a Uni film festival, bad sound, absolutely no atmosphere. And I doubt that they had official copies, probably just showed DVD or video. And yes, my gender was quite under-represented .

It must be a genetic defect. I forced my parents to buy me Count Dracula action figures instead of Barbies.

The ultimate collection is currently out of stock at play.com. But amazon still has it for

respect you have great taste Argento is sometimes attacked for being Anti Women but many of his Heroines are very strong figures

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 72
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 6:49:56 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

respect you have great taste Argento is sometimes attacked for being Anti Women but many of his Heroines are very strong figures

And a lot of the Psycho killers turn out to be women,in his early work.

Post #: 73
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 7:47:36 PM   
dj vivace

My Ultimate Argento boxset turned up today and i'm reading the back again and again and i cant decide where to start! I think i'll start with one of the 2 i havent seen so that would be Cat O'Nine Tails or Bird With The Crystal Plumeage. I'm getting over-run with horror because my Masters Of Horror part 2 should arrive tomorrow

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 74
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 12/2/2007 8:48:38 PM   
Kira

quote:

quote:

I
agree. Also other Euro horror movies starred amazing actresses like Barbara Steele or Soledad Miranda .

Often those
"misogynist" arguments seem to come from people heavily believing in stereotypes like "Titanic/The Piano? Girls, go this way",  "Horror/Schlock? Sick blokes, join the other queue" ... gah .. go figure! It's just fiction. I want to be entertained, thrilled, scared and surprised. And I love to see innovative unusual stuff. Sadly enough many of the current mainstream productions don't fall into that category.

Post #: 75
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 13/2/2007 1:07:41 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

quote:

I
agree. Also other Euro horror movies starred amazing actresses like Barbara Steele or Soledad Miranda .

Often those
"misogynist" arguments seem to come from people heavily believing in stereotypes like "Titanic/The Piano? Girls, go this way",  "Horror/Schlock? Sick blokes, join the other queue" ... gah .. go figure! It's just fiction. I want to be entertained, thrilled, scared and surprised. And I love to see innovative unusual stuff. Sadly enough many of the current mainstream productions don't fall into that category.

Oh how right you are At least directors like Argento try to be different each time they step behind a camera and why cant ladies like horror who wrote that crap rule

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 76
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 13/2/2007 6:53:23 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I

Often those

Oh how right you are At least directors like Argento try to be different each time they step behind a camera and why cant ladies like horror who wrote that crap rule

Argento was once asked about the way he potrays women in his movies,as victims,and he laughed saying it was not seen that way in the rest of EUROPE only in the UK press.Asia his daughter has stared in a lot of his movies,and has pointed out how much Dario loves women,and they get the best role in his movies.That said he has had his Actress x wife and daughter murdered in prety brutal waysin his moviesAll done in the best posible taste.It's good to know there are women who know the differance between a good Horror/Thiller and hollywood produced CRAP!Dario Argento is more an Artist than just a great film maker,and long may he continue,we've already lost Lucio Fulci and Mario Bava two brillant film makers of HORROR.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 13/2/2007 6:56:16 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/2/2007 12:29:44 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I

Often those

Argento was once asked about the way he potrays women in his movies,as victims,and he laughed saying it was not seen that way in the rest of EUROPE only in the UK press.Asia his daughter has stared in a lot of his movies,and has pointed out how much Dario loves women,and they get the best role in his movies.That said he has had his Actress x wife and daughter murdered in prety brutal waysin his moviesAll done in the best posible taste.It's good to know there are women who know the differance between a good Horror/Thiller and hollywood produced CRAP!Dario Argento is more an Artist than just a great film maker,and long may he continue,we've already lost Lucio Fulci and Mario Bava two brillant film makers of HORROR.
 Damn right and its nice to see Argentos Friend George A Romero still doing it his way as well long may it continue  

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 78
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/2/2007 8:03:05 PM   
evil bill

LAND OF THE DEAD was a great return to form for George,and i'd love to see what Argentos cut of DAWN OF THE DEAD is like.Romero was partly financed by Argento in return for editing rights in Italy,and of course George was more than pleased to have his Hero involed in his cult classic.

Post #: 79
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/2/2007 11:13:23 PM   
dj vivace

I'm sure i read somewhwere that Argento has decapitated his ex wife and Asia in a few films. Is this true? If it is, then fucking great! What a brilliant thing to do. "Hey Asia, in the next scene you get your head chopped off, hows that?" The man is a genius!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 80
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 14/2/2007 11:46:00 PM   
livila

Hello,

I've only watched one film - The Stendhal Syndrome, and because Thomas Kretschmann was in it. I did like it though, I was surprised. I don't often enjoy horror - the story was good, particularly the ending.
If you are interested, I'd recommend the Italian 2 disc dvd - because the picture is so much better. The Troma dvd I got first (R1) was terrible.
In a film where the visuals, such as painting are very important, it kind of loses impact.
This is a relatively light portion of the film, but the dark bits are very cloudy. Still, you can see the colour & clarity difference.

< Message edited by livila -- 14/2/2007 11:47:01 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 81
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/2/2007 12:42:25 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

I'm sure i read somewhwere that Argento has decapitated his ex wife and Asia in a few films. Is this true? If it is, then fucking great! What a brilliant thing to do. "Hey Asia, in the next scene you get your head chopped off, hows that?" The man is a genius!
Yes he is but as usual only a few know how  bloody good Argento is this thread is changing that i hope

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 82
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/2/2007 6:33:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: livila

Hello,

I've only watched one film - The Stendhal Syndrome, and because Thomas Kretschmann was in it. I did like it though, I was surprised. I don't often enjoy horror - the story was good, particularly the ending.
If you are interested, I'd recommend the Italian 2 disc dvd - because the picture is so much better. The Troma dvd I got first (R1) was terrible.
In a film where the visuals, such as painting are very important, it kind of loses impact.
This is a relatively light portion of the film, but the dark bits are very cloudy. Still, you can see the colour & clarity difference.

WELCOME to Argento land,and where did you get your 2 disc Italian dvd from and for how much.I'd love to see the Italian release DVD's of the masters work,as of course it's his home land and the censor's are more fun loving.

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 83
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/2/2007 8:01:42 PM   
livila

Most people who buy from Italy seem to use this site... click 
However, I couldn't get my credit card to accept. So I ended up using this one - click
I had no problems.
The dvd also has a bit of behind the scenes footage - 20 minutes or so. Mostly of Asia and her father, shooting a nighttime street scene. The filming seemed very laid back and fun.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 84
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 16/2/2007 12:46:08 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

However, I couldn't get my credit card to accept. So I ended up using this one - click
I had no problems.
The dvd also has a bit of behind the scenes footage - 20 minutes or so. Mostly of Asia and her father, shooting a nighttime street scene. The filming seemed very laid back and fun.
Thats the thing i would like to meet Dario he seems like a top bloke

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 85
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 16/2/2007 12:48:47 PM   
Kira

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

I would love to have a dad like this.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 86
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 16/2/2007 12:52:40 PM   
Kira

quote:

I had no problems.

Hi Livila!!! Thanks for the links, very interesting. EDIT: bookmarked!

My ultimate collection is ordered! Damn, I can't wait

< Message edited by Kira -- 16/2/2007 1:03:17 PM >

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 87
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 16/2/2007 1:01:55 PM   
Kira

quote:

LAND OF THE DEAD was a great return to form for George,and i'd love to see what Argentos cut of DAWN OF THE DEAD is like.Romero was partly financed by Argento in return for editing rights in Italy,and of course George was more than pleased to have his Hero involed in his cult classic.

I watched Land of the Dead on big screen, just a few hours after a marathon run. It was very easy to identify with those zombies. It was like an
endorphine overdose.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 88
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 16/2/2007 1:20:40 PM   
evil bill

THANKS for the links Livla
Kira you shold see the guys leaving the factory where i used to work,they made Land Of The Dead look tame.Love the idea of hacking up your family for fun and them injoying it,

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 89
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 17/2/2007 6:56:05 AM   
livila

No problem, it took me a while to figure out how to buy from Italy. It's a bit easier from France and Germany as they have amazon. Looks like a few of Dario's films get the two disc treatment there. 
I will keep an eye out for his films in future, from what I read the Stendhal Syndrome isn't the best of his work.

I bought another couple of dvd's that haven't seen light outside Italy, although they're kind of adventure or thrillers - they've also got a high gore factor. Close ups of intestines falling out and such when stabbed.
Perhaps the Italians have a taste for graphic injury in their films? 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI