Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 3/1/2007 7:11:38 PM   
evil bill

Dario Argento is for me one of the most under rated directors,is it because he's Italian not Amercian or British.Or most find his movies too hard to watch,it is a shame because he is the master of Suspence and such brillant camera work.You know from the opening shot it's an Argento Movie,the camera just flows rather than just move.His is a unique and most overlooked talent,that has a strong following world wide,but not so much here in the UK.He is the man that saved Dawn Of The Dead from not being made,he personal put his coult and talent behind Romero.It was released in Italy as Zombie with Darios name first in all the posters and now you can get the Argento Cut of it on DVD.From Bird With The Cyrstal Plumage a crime thriller, to Suspiria his gothic horror Masterpice to Sleepless where he turned back to thiller's with guts?The man is a must see for any true film Fan,just like Hichcock,Kurbrick,kurosawa or many other great directors,you should see at least one of his movies.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/1/2007 5:55:50 AM   
Gaz

Dario Argento practically invented the horror genre as we know it (seeing the violence from the black-gloved-killerís POV, predominately female victims/heroines, etc) and because of this he often gets labelled a gore merchant and misogynistic (both of which are at least partly true).  Not only should he be renouned as one of the best horror directors he should be renouned as one of the best directors on-par  with his fellow countrymen Fellini  and  Rossellini! 
His work has a great subtle surrealistic quality to it which results in his films being vividly dream-like; of course itís a dream that rapidly descends into a nightmare. During the Late 70s and 80s Dario often cast his partner Daria Nicolodia in his films and it's said that the state of their relationship can be judged by Daria's role in the films starting of as the heroine and then progressing through more and more violent deaths until eventually she is the evil killer just before they broke up! This oddly seams t be an on screen relationship that he has gone through in reverse with their daughter Asia.  

As for Evil Bill's suggestion that everyone should watch a Dario Argento film I have to disagree - Everyone should watch at least 3 or 4! I would recommend any of Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Opera, Tenebre, Phenomena, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Cat 'o Nine Tails

Nothing says "I love you" like a violated restraining order!

Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends.

Dont drink burgundy on a boat.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 4/1/2007 4:44:59 PM   
evil bill

I'd have everyone watch all his movies,but so many give his movies a miss for the same resons we think there great.That is why a mention that no matter what your views,see at least one of this great directors movies before you pass jugment.I've listed my own top ten of his collection of movies before,so let the undead find out for themselfs the masters work.

(in reply to Gaz)
Post #: 3
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 5/1/2007 6:33:54 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

The only film of his I've seen is Suspiria which i would say is one of the most terrifying and quality horror's I've seen.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 4
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 6/1/2007 12:12:19 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

The only film of his I've seen is Suspiria which i would say is one of the most terrifying and quality horror's I've seen.
Yes indeedand you should watch it's sequal INFERNO part 2 of the three monthers trigloy.Part 3 the final one MOTHER OF TEARS is now due for late 2007.

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 5
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/1/2007 11:05:38 AM   
tbird

One of my favourite directors!

There is so much style and pizazz in his films, and his use of colour is just mind-blowing.

The first film of his I saw was Profondo Rosso which we watched in one of our lectures at uni and since then I have been hooked.
Have so far seen Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena, Cat o' Nine Tails and Tenebrae and absolutely loved them all.

When I was in Rome a few years back I just had to go to his shop, Profondo Rosso and check out his horror museum. It was so small and tacky but still brilliant. If you're ever over there you should check it out!

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 6
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/1/2007 12:47:39 PM   
filmburner30

ahh Dario a neglected genius .
I have Suspira,Tenebrae and Sleepless on dvd and they are great.
Have also Seen Opera,and Profondo Rosso and they are fantastic as well.
I think sometimes horror/thriller directors get short shift beacause of the genre they work in.
I personally cannot wait to see mother of tears,and if you are looking for a book on the Master Give Alan Jones book a whirl its packed full of facts and takes a really good look at Argentos career

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 7
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 10/1/2007 7:17:57 PM   
evil bill

Thank you i must see if i can get the book off Amazon or Play.com.A good web site to vist is http://www.darkdreams.org
It's Dario Argentos own fan based web site with the latest info on MOTHER OF TEARS etc,worth a vist.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 10/1/2007 7:38:51 PM >

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 8
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 15/1/2007 7:38:45 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird

One of my favourite directors!

There is so much style and pizazz in his films, and his use of colour is just mind-blowing.

The first film of his I saw was Profondo Rosso which we watched in one of our lectures at uni and since then I have been hooked.
Have so far seen Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena, Cat o' Nine Tails and Tenebrae and absolutely loved them all.

When I was in Rome a few years back I just had to go to his shop, Profondo Rosso and check out his horror museum. It was so small and tacky but still brilliant. If you're ever over there you should check it out!

If i ever get over there i'll mke sure i vist it.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 9
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 18/1/2007 5:16:54 PM   
evil bill

Dario Argento's PELTS his lastest in Masters Of Horror series 2 has aired on Showtime in the USA tv.It has had good reviews in FANGORIA magazine.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 10
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/1/2007 1:00:52 PM   
filmburner30

Cool  Iam still waiting for the 2nd masters of Horror box set for series one to arrive here with his feature on that.
Also The Dark places website has some ace Articles from Alan Jones from the Set of the new 3 Mothers movie with pics of Asia Argento and Daria Niccoldi

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 11
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/1/2007 1:12:20 PM   
evil bill

It's a brillant web site for us Argento fans,and he is already planing another shocker for Hollywood after he finishes MOTHER OF TEARS.Alan Jones used to write for STARBURST?

Post #: 12
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/1/2007 3:51:25 PM   
filmburner30

Yup i have also seen him in the Cinema store in London and he is a prime mover for The frightfest horror film festival in London .
I read he is a massive Argento and Romero fan top bloke then he also features on a lot of the dvd extras on Sleepless which was amassive return to form for the master

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 19/1/2007 6:29:40 PM   
evil bill

Sleepless was a real classic Argento horror/thiller movie from his slow opening shot of the call girl leaving the room,to the excellent tracking shots at the opera house.And of course his brultal murder scene's just on power with Tenabre.

Post #: 14
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/1/2007 12:42:16 PM   
filmburner30

Its funny most folks are unaware of Argentos work because its mainly poohed poohed by Mainstream critics for being violent horror trash.
Whats amazing is that even weak Argento (Trauma) knocks most of those American teen horror films into a cocked hat.
The good critics Mark Kermode,Kim Newman,And Alan Jones are aware just how good a director Argento is and his Peers Such as John Carpenter,George A Romero are big fans.
Trust me when i say you will not see a more scary film than Suspira   

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/1/2007 12:44:19 PM   
filmburner30

Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Empire pick Argento as part of your Movie Club Feature or just even and article on this overlooked genius

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/1/2007 6:00:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Empire pick Argento as part of your Movie Club Feature or just even and article on this overlooked genius

I second that! it's long over due and with Mother Of Tears coming soon why not????????
Also filmburner 30,a lot of Romero fans do'nt relise that Argento was producer and helped bankrole Dawn Of The Dead.And for the Itialian Market it was re-edited by Argento and called Zombies.

Post #: 17
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 22/1/2007 8:18:33 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

Its funny most folks are unaware of Argentos work because its mainly poohed poohed by Mainstream critics for being violent horror trash.
Whats amazing is that even weak Argento (Trauma) knocks most of those American teen horror films into a cocked hat.
The good critics Mark Kermode,Kim Newman,And Alan Jones are aware just how good a director Argento is and his Peers Such as John Carpenter,George A Romero are big fans.
Trust me when i say you will not see a more scary film than Suspira   

Dario Argento doesnt make weak films! I personally loved Trauma, and Asia looked gorgeous as ever! However i agree with your point. I think Mr Argento has too much talent for the thrill seeking audience of today, people dont seem to have the patience these days for a horror (or thriller) with a bit of substance which slowly builds but rewards from the very first shot like his work does. He has a talent of creating such a nightmarish atmosphere that sticks with the audience for a long long time. I suppose he's a traditionalist and will never give in and become 'commercial' which is what horror needs at the moment, someone with the guts to do what they want. Sad as it may seem, i reckon a lot of less patient people are put off by the fact that his work is subtitled or dubbed, there fucking loss i say!!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 18
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/1/2007 1:03:37 PM   
filmburner30

Its good to see there are other Fans out there of the Great mans work.
I got into his stuff purely by chance back in the days of the Video Nasty when i saw Tenebrae when i was about 11 i can tell you i was gripped even then  .
I agree with the Statements made about his work ,today most horror is all flash in the pan At least Argento Builds Tension and has Characters you can believe in.
Also what a craftsman ,i am thinking of the Camera shot in Opera or the tracking shot over the Building in Tenebrae worthy of DePalma I thought.
And the Humour that creeps into his films helps Love the bit with David Hemmings and the Car seat in Profondo Rosso  

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 19
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/1/2007 4:22:45 PM   
evil bill

On the subject of favourate scenes, mine was in INFERNO with the girl diving into the flooded room to retrive a necklace, has the dead reaching for her.Brillant camera work and very creepy.I think Peter Jackson saw this, because the scene where Fedro falls into the mash waters with the dead coming at him in Lord of the Rings Two Towers is very silmar in style.

Post #: 20
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/1/2007 6:55:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

Have been an Argento fan for many years,when I first got into his stuff it was hard to find uncut copies of his movies,but even chopped up they were genius movies,I loved the over-the-top style,the wierd touches,the incredible suspense,the often clever plots,all his films are very similar,but I once read that the definition of an auteur is one who essentially makes the same movie over and over again. I was disappointed with his last few films except the underrated Stendahl Syndrome,but the follow-up to Suspiria and Inferno Mother Of Tears should be superb. I can't see it getting much of a cinema release as all his films since Phenomena {and that was heavily chopped up}have gone straight to video or DVD,but one can hope!

Some of my favouriteArgento scenes are, {as we'll doing them}

Stendahl Syndrome-the whole opening with Asia in the museum and sinking into the painting,as Ennio Morricone's repetitive music gets faster and faster

Suspiria-opening double murder,the eyes outside the window scared me shitless as a teenager! And that music!

Deep Red-the scary puppet!

Bird With The Crystal Plumage-the visit to the strange painter,when the hero realises what he's been eating! A great example of Argento's black humour!

Four Flies On Grey Velvet-the scene with the woman in the park,watching kids playing,like a Hitchcock scene,then becoming terrifying as the killer chases her. A brilliant set piece.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 23/1/2007 10:10:35 PM   
dj vivace

Sick as it might sound but i loved the pit of wire mesh stuff in Suspiria, and his 're-make' of the Devil having sex scene from Rosemary's Baby used in the Church was great too. One thing about Argento that no one else can touch is his sudden bursts of violence with no build up. And i find that normally the music will stop and you get that split second of silence before someone starts screaming but they sound more in pain than any other horror director can do, the mans a genius. A  sick, twisted genius!!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 22
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/1/2007 2:39:27 PM   
filmburner30

There is of course the best bit in Trauma when Piper Lauries head continues to talk even after it has bee cut off by that weird drill thing.
And the Gripping murder on the train at the opening of Sleepless.
Oh and if so called crtics do say Argentos work is cack look at some of the actors who have appeared in his works Donald Pleasance,Max Von Sydow,Aida Valli,David Hemmings,Jennifer Connelly,hardly hack actors are they.
I hope Mother of Tears gets a Cinema release and Anchor bay do the dvd 

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 23
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 24/1/2007 6:34:58 PM   
evil bill

I know Mother Of Tears is being released in Mainland Europe and the North Amercia about the same time,but no word as yet on UK.Also love the head falling down the lift shaft while still mouthing.

Post #: 24
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/1/2007 12:45:51 PM   
filmburner30

LORD LETS HOPE ITS GETS A RELEASE.
If shit on a stick like the Black Xmas remake gets it then Mother of Tears should by simple divine right no question.
Also Death by fountain pen in Sleepless is pretty cool kinda Grosser point Blank

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 25
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 25/1/2007 7:19:46 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

I know Mother Of Tears is being released in Mainland Europe and the North Amercia about the same time,but no word as yet on UK.Also love the head falling down the lift shaft while still mouthing.

Thats non other than Brad Dourif!! I'm guessing you mean the scene in Trauma. How about in the Church when the guy is hanging from a hole in the ceiling or something and the train comes along and turns his head into complete mush!! I think Argento only produced the Sect but theres a real nasty scene at the end with a giant, horrible looking bird and Jamie Lee Curtis' more attractive sister

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 26
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/1/2007 8:44:06 AM   
filmburner30

Maybe we should Storm Empires offices and get them to do a feature on the great man.
Also apart From The Anchor Bay releases why do we get Vanilla Dvds OF Argentos work while everyone else gets loads of extras someone put this to rights please 

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 27
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/1/2007 5:12:19 PM   
evil bill

You just have to love Anchor Bay some of the classic horror movies they have renmastered and there extras just brillant.There doubl;e disc of SUSPIRIA is just a must have.with its photo set as well as making of and DTS sound.As has already been said the film score and sound effects are all part of the terror of an Argento movie,and nowhere better than Suspiria.

Post #: 28
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 26/1/2007 7:33:07 PM   
dj vivace

One of the main reasons for me buying the 2 disk Suspiria (apart from the fact that its one of the best horrors ever) was for the Dario Argento's World Of Horror documentary which is brilliant, a good insight into his weird and wonderful mind

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 29
RE: DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. - 27/1/2007 5:11:29 PM   
evil bill

World Of Horror is a well crafted documentry on Argento's work and realy worth coughing up the extra cash for the Suspiria two disc set.It's a real must have for anybody with any interest at all in Dario Argento,or horror movies.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> DARIO ARGENTO overlooked master. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI