Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 23/1/2007 10:59:14 AM   
mrdoom14

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ok ok ok ok.....violence aside. How is it a poor adaption? It does everything a Turtles movie should. Introduces the characters, backstory, villain, fights, humour.......music by Partners In Kryme.

Cheap made,poor script and to much action and less dialoge.

Heres a two star review that might answer some of your questions

http://www.radiotimes.com/servlet_film/com.icl.beeb.rtfilms.client.simpleSearchServlet?frn=15957&searchTypeSelect=5

But to make it clear my rating would be one if you read what I said  above in this post.

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 31
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 23/1/2007 11:01:01 AM   
mrdoom14

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrdoom14

quote:

I'd say it was a little too violent for children, particularly very young children.  As I can remember, the film was fairly dark and realistic.  I remember being fairly upset when one of the turtles is nearly beaten to death.  However, I'd say a PG rating does give sufficient warning, i.e. warning against showing it to young children and having a parent present when older children are viewing.

It is to violent for younger children.I think its suitable for 10+ but I think a 12 rating would be more accurate like the goonies.

Thank you Mr Monk   I had it tailor made.

It's been about 15 years since I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I'll have to give it another viewing.  Almost bought it the other day but I thought it might be what my girlfriend refers to as a 'waste of money'.  She'll give me 'a look'.

But do you actually like the film Mr Doom?

No I think its teribble and why did you call me Mr.monk?

< Message edited by mrdoom14 -- 23/1/2007 11:14:03 AM >

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 32
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 23/1/2007 11:06:01 AM   
Wedge

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd say it was a little too violent for children, particularly very young children.  As I can remember, the film was fairly dark and realistic.  I remember being fairly upset when one of the turtles is nearly beaten to death.  However, I'd say a PG rating does give sufficient warning, i.e. warning against showing it to young children and having a parent present when older children are viewing.

It is to violent for younger children.I think its suitable for 10+ but I think a 12 rating would be more accurate like the goonies.

Thank you Mr Monk   I had it tailor made.

It's been about 15 years since I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I'll have to give it another viewing.  Almost bought it the other day but I thought it might be what my girlfriend refers to as a 'waste of money'.  She'll give me 'a look'.

But do you actually like the film Mr Doom?

No I think its teribble and why did you call me Mr.Monk?

No, no.  Sorry for the confusion.  Initially, I was replying Mr Monk and then moved on to replying to your comment. 

I'll definately have to get the film and see if I've grown up!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 33
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 23/1/2007 4:10:40 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Mrdoom, you are mad sir! TMNT is a legendary film.  Too violent?! Whaaaaat?! Just because the radio times hated it, it doesn't mean it's a crap film.  What do they know anyway? It's a great, fun film that children and adults love (although the latter probably shouldn't, who cares, Michaelangelo is a party dude!) 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 34
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 23/1/2007 10:07:00 PM   
Sutty

quote:

quote:

quote:

A very poor adaption wich is far to violent for a childrens movie.

1/5

Too violent? How? It's no more violent then The Goonies (which has dead bodies falling on kids), Indiana Jones and Gremlins.

Its much violenter than goonies but goonies had a 12 cert unlike Turtles wich is a pg.And gremlins is a 15 and defintely not a kids movie(it reveals the truth about santa) and Indian Jones also aint a kids movie.

is this the bollywood version of the man in the hat?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 35
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 10:33:19 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

quote:

quote:

quote:

1/5

Too violent? How? It's no more violent then The Goonies (which has dead bodies falling on kids), Indiana Jones and Gremlins.

Its much violenter than goonies but goonies had a 12 cert unlike Turtles wich is a pg.And gremlins is a 15 and defintely not a kids movie(it reveals the truth about santa) and Indian Jones also aint a kids movie.

is this the bollywood version of the man in the hat?

Racist!! Boo hiss!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 36
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 11:07:04 AM   
Sutty

oh please! it was a JOKE!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 37
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 11:22:24 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

I would love to see a four hour version of Indiana Jones with songs!

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 38
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 11:36:58 AM   
Wedge

quote:

Ditto!

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 39
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 11:46:39 AM   
Sutty

quote:

quote:

Ditto!

Phew! thought i'd soured my name for a minute there.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 40
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 24/1/2007 11:49:58 AM   
Timon

Anyway, back to all things Turtular.....Raphael, ain't he cool?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 41
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 25/1/2007 11:42:03 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Things we haven't mentioned yet...

1. Full credit to the stuntmen for being able to do martial arts in them bulky looking suits!

2. Vanilla Ice is in Turtles II. IS THAT COOL OR WHAT!?

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 25/1/2007 11:46:51 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulletproof_Monk

NINJA, NINJA RAP!!!!! Genius!!

Ninja turtles was the first film i ever saw at the cinema, so is always very close to my heart, for first getting the taste of that cinema experience, i even remember the 2 trailers that came with the film.....rocky 5 and almost an angel with paul hogan!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Bulletproof_Monk)
Post #: 43
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 25/1/2007 3:02:27 PM   
*emz6*

two words.  CASEY. JONES.

love it!

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 44
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 25/1/2007 6:01:07 PM   
Starscream

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulletproof_Monk

NINJA, NINJA RAP!!!!! Genius!!

Ninja turtles was the first film i ever saw at the cinema, so is always very close to my heart, for first getting the taste of that cinema experience, i even remember the 2 trailers that came with the film.....rocky 5 and almost an angel with paul hogan!

I got all three in a boxset before xmas and found myself singing this a lot

NINJA, NINJA RAP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrAqeAMyho

< Message edited by Starscream -- 25/1/2007 6:02:17 PM >

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 45
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 8/2/2007 11:28:27 AM   
Timon

That is SO terrible, it's fantastic. Craptacular even.

How did that man get so popular?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 46
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 8/2/2007 1:17:00 PM   
tini_man_anga

quote:

Yep yep.

No longer is it 'sliced and diced'

Definitely uncut, or just has more violence than the cinema cut? The British version ended sooner than the American one, which had an epilogue in a comic book office where April pitched the idea of the turtles and an executive rejected it as "too farfetched". Is that back in?

"We are interested in cloning. Not in clowning!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 8/2/2007 1:22:16 PM   
Wedge

Once again I have wandered into this thread and once again I leave it feeling very tempted to buy the DVD!

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to tini_man_anga)
Post #: 48
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 9/2/2007 5:20:26 PM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Just dug the Turtles 1 and 2 "double video" out of the cupboard and watched the first one. Sam Rockwell is one of the foot ninjas!!!!!!

CHAOS REIGNS!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 49
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 12/2/2007 6:26:23 PM   
French Fry

Grow up for God's sake! Get a life!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 12/2/2007 7:55:45 PM   
krudler

quote:

quote:

quote:

1/5

Its much violenter than goonies but goonies had a 12 cert unlike Turtles wich is a pg.And gremlins is a 15 and defintely not a kids movie(it reveals the truth about santa) and Indian Jones also aint a kids movie.But Turtles is a childrens movie that two year olds can watch and its full of freequent martial arts wich is to rough for a childrens movie.

the cartoon had its violent moments,as did the comic which was much darker than even the movie,ever see the way they killed shredder?leonardo decapitated him!

and violenter isnt a word

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 51
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 12/2/2007 7:58:56 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: French Fry

Grow up for God's sake! Get a life!

um....why because we're discussing a "kids" movie?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to French Fry)
Post #: 52
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 14/2/2007 6:51:52 PM   
French Fry

Exactamundo! It's not exactly Shakespeare, is it? Doh!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 53
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 14/2/2007 8:22:45 PM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: French Fry

Exactamundo! It's not exactly Shakespeare, is it? Doh!

No, but it is a damn fine and surprisingly dark film, great for nostalgia.  The turtles rocked hard ass.  2 and 3 were good- I especially loved  the scenes in 3 with Casey Jones and the samurai, which were friggin' hilarious- but simply couldn't match the sheer greatness of the original.

Haven't seen the new trailer yet gonna go do that now.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to French Fry)
Post #: 54
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 14/2/2007 8:31:07 PM   
Filmic Joe

Okay, Just saw the trailer- I like the thinner turtles, and the humans are looking better too, much more stylised cartoon than blocky.  I'm just worried that the story may go too fantastical- I have no problem with it having these elements, but they should be used carefully or it will lose some if it's already marginalised appeal- or too comedic, although I've heard the director say it will have darker elements

Looks good.  I'm pleased- Turtles and transformeres in 2007.  I'm seven all over again.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 55
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 18/3/2007 1:01:14 PM   
Timon

Yeah, I was worried about the lean looking Turtles and the blocky humans but after 5mins into the film, i'd completely accepted it. And it DOES have  darker elements. My review thus far is already in two threads on the forum;

Well I got to see a preview of TMNT this weekend and as the official EMPIRE review thread isn't up yet. I'll post it here for now.

It appears that 2007 is going to be '80's Revival Year' with both The Turtles and The Transformers making their return to the big screen. I was very sceptical of a CGI redux of the Turtles especially as a child the live action movie was a Friday night staple but I can happily say that TMNT is the best Turtles film yet and one of the most entertaining films I've seen so far this year.

Writer/Director Kevin Munroe clearly respects what has gone before in regards to Turtles canon and has crafted an original tale that can happily satisfy both newcomers and diehard fans who's childhood was crafted around the 4 reptilian martial artists (me!).

The film is a semi sequel to the first Turtles film with Shredder defeated, but things have not gone well for the brothers. The Turtles are divided - Leonado has gone to S.America to hone his leadership skills at Splinter's behest, Donatello is stuck in a tech support phone in job, Michaelangelo has taken to performing at childrens parties and Raphael..................well always the hot head, Raph has taken to being a solo vigilante, The Night Watcher, trying to recapture past glories but without his family's knowledge.

However an ancient curse featuring monsters, a resurgence in the Foot Clan and a mysterious millionaire is going to be the brother's biggest challenge....if they can get past their problems with each other.

CGI cartoons have become a staple these days with every studio and their dog producing them. TMNT however stands head and shoulders above them by being a film that both adults and kids will love. It's not a happy-go-lucky film with cute furry talking animals - there is fraternal angst as Raphael is finally fed up with following rather than leading and Leonado is forced to reasses his role as leader of the group. The scenes between the two are as dramatic as anything you'd find in a adult drama and when the two comes to blows there are serious reprecussions.

Munroe has made certain changes though. April O'Neil is no longer a reporter but a Lara Croftesque antique dealer aided by former vigilantee and now 'live in' boyfriend Casey Jones. I expected this to be a shocking mistake but it worked mainly due to the fact that these are the characters you know and love. Casey, like Raphael is also keeping up the crime fighting despite April wanting him to grow up.

This unique family need each other to survive and love each other no matter and have to realise that if they're not there for each other, then they are nothing.

The voice cast is amazing with the Turtles voiced by unknowns but famous voices such as Patrick Stewart, Mako, Chris Evans and Zhang Ziyi give the film an A-list film. Even without them though, the animation is first class and at no point do you think is nothing more than a film made by people who love the Turtle brothers.

You may find it crazy, but this in my eyes was a 5 star film. A wonderful animated film, a gripping brotherly drama and an entertaining martial arts epic. Even the Turtles new lean look worked well, something that had previously worried me, as they flip and jump through New York and battle The Foot and the ancient monsters.

Hopefully this film will do well at the box office, as like Batman Begins the ending hints at an old nemesis returning in the sequel............and that's something I can't wait to see.

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 56
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 18/3/2007 1:23:04 PM   
directorscut

Didn't George Lucas rip off the entrance of Shredder in ROTS when Anni is going into the Jedi temple thing?

There is nothing wrong with the original being PG. It delivers good values on life and family and children will learn lots of nice lesssons from it. As for violence - there's more violence in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 18/3/2007 1:28:47 PM   
directorscut

quote:

"God, I love being a turtle!"

Never saw Turtles II + III mainly due to the poor, poor talkback i heard about them. Can anyone confirm how bad they really are? I heard the actress who starred as April in the first film didn't return due to most of her scenes were cut out of the first and even Casey Jones was excised.

II is okay but really would have benefitted from Casey Jones. The opening fight scene is pretty damn good.

III could have been excellent but it's determined to wear its "kid's movie" tag on its sleeve which ruins any dramatic element in the film. But there are some good parts. The costumes are rubbish in the film and all the turtles seem to be suffering from liver spots.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 18/3/2007 5:44:47 PM   
target

I like this guys review of the third movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0

< Message edited by target -- 18/3/2007 5:45:52 PM >

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 59
RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - 19/3/2007 12:20:11 AM   
kenada_woo

I saw all three at the cinema and yes, three is a good film, better than the 2nd even with the Ice-man in it.   I remember getting all excited with the original film, taping anything about it, even the MC Hammer music video that went straight to number 1 on Top Of The Pops and getting my parents to shop and order the toys because they were selling out everywhere.  Didnt Empire 5 star the original film?

Cant wait for the new version.  I'm slightly pissed off I missed the preview today at my local cinema but it will be watched. 

Its insane how its making feel like a kid again.  Not to go all mushy but it's almost like those people who saw the original Star Wars as a kid ready to see the new Prequels.  It aint as big a film but theres a place in the heart for the Ninja Turtles.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI