Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Stargate SG1, Atlantis and Universe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Stargate SG1, Atlantis and Universe Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stargate SG1, Atlantis and Universe - 30/9/2005 12:37:31 PM   
Captain Black

We have succesfully gated to the new forum!

Vote for your favourite SG-1 Season - strike that, the results were as follows (after at least six months up I think) were:

1: 1 Vote, 4%.
2. 2 Votes, 8%
3. 2 Votes, 8%
4. 8 Votes, 32%  - the winner
5. 0 Votes
6. 0 Votes
7. 0 Votes
8. 3 Votes, 12%
9. 2 Votes, 8%
No favourite: 7 Votes, 28%

I love how the 'not bothered' category comes in second.

Updated the poll a bit now, favourite season finalés.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 24/7/2009 5:28:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 3:15:15 PM   
Helo

We need a bit of a bump here folks. And no better way to do this than by dangling some tasty Season TEN spoilers in front of you all:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=437

BTW Happy new year guys n gals.

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."
Post #: 2
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 3:32:00 PM   
Captain Black

Happy New Year folks.

Now without giving away spoilers I'd like to highlight something in that article that is utter nonsense from Malozzi:

quote:

Joe provided more insights on the SG-1 command issue. He said again that it was debated in the writer’s room and “ultimately decided [that] Carter and Mitchell would share leadership of the team. Who is in charge is entirely mission-dependent.”

They haven't quite grasped how the military works, have they? You have a senior officer, that's it. One senior officer. It's not a dictatorship. At no point do they engage in debate or scissors, paper, stone to make decisions. Mission-dependent? Eh? What a load of bobbins. Also shouldn't it be the writers' room? Otherwise you've just got one guy in there debating things with himself. Not a good way to run a TV show . Sorry, rant over.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 3
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 3:35:30 PM   
Helo

Good point Cap'n (and BTW happy new year matey), it seems to be pandering to the 'Sam should lead SG1 camp' I think.  I'd assumed and was happy to accept that Mitchell was the outright leader of the team.  That's how the military works.

Hopefully they won't dwell on this point too much come Season 10.

"But it's Swiss!"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 4
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 3:50:18 PM   
Captain Black

I mean, if they had any bottle they would have Sam lead the team, it strikes me as playing a bit by standard TV preconceptions to bring it a straight replacement for Jack rather than have Amanda Tapping's name first on the credits and bring in merely another team member. I realise there are other issues with AT being on maternity or whatever but that's a different argument. If we look over on Atlantis  (to revisit my earlier point of why it's a better show at the moment ) they've got a woman in charge despite bringing in Colonel Caldwell and promoting Shephard.

Edit: added this next bit.
I liked ep 2 of Atlantis as well, particularly my new favourite (spoiler) little Asgard dude. I do worry about them using the Asgard beam systems a bit too much though, a bit like in Star Trek when the transporter became a bit of a Deux Ex Machina on a regular basis. It's a slippery slope folks. Don't go there.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 2/1/2006 4:00:23 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 5
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 4:08:03 PM   
Helo

I think Weir's position in Atlantis is a great example of how it should be done.  Make the brainy geek woman the boss and let the military blokeys deal with it.  Makes for a great dynamic with the Weir/Shepard/Caldwell relationship: Shepard seems to have few issues with following Weir's orders as opposed to the more militaristic Caldwell.

BTW, the next new Atlantis on that Canadian cable channel that's ahead of SciFi will be the one guest starring Connor Trinneer. I think it's be on next Sunday. Should anyone partake in that shameful downloading lark   And new SG! on SciFi this friday.... and the return of Hammond of Texas.

"But it's Swiss!"

Post #: 6
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 2/1/2006 4:20:31 PM   
Captain Black

New Stargate! New Battlestar! New Hammond of Texas?! 

Hear those screams? That's my ADSL router.

I think Weir's channelling Sigourney Weaver at the moment, there's just something about her that reminds me of Aliens era Ripley. No bad thing at all.

Question about the Atlantis credits; the ones I've seen for S2 so far were the same as those used by Five for S1 is this the same as was broadcast on the sci fi channel?

Trinneer is a great actor, he was head and shoulders above the rest of the Enterprise cast and he certainly wasn't any better written as a character. I think he'd be a good fit as a regular SG character.

Are the behind the scenes people on both shows pretty much the same personnel? At least with regard to storylines and so on?

Edit: just read this and it's a hoot:

quote:

TR suggested Hammond—as did Don Davis (they're very close friends & TR played matchmaker between DSD and his current wife, Ruby), b/c Hammond was being written out anyway.* The conversation supposedly went like this, after RCC asked Rothery about her availability for S7:
RCC: "How would you feel about your character being killed off?"
TR: "I'm an actor; how do you think I'd feel?"
RCC: "We'd like to shake things up this season."
TR: "Well, shake them up with somebody else. Kill off Hammond."

Teryl Rothery just sounds like a top lady.

From an interview with Torri Higginson.

quote:

Q: Is Elizabeth ever going to go off-world again? Ever?
TH: Well, she did end up in handcuffs and blindfolded the first time ... so if it's up to her ... yes.

I added the smiley myself

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 3/1/2006 12:11:22 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 7
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 4/1/2006 6:10:56 PM   
Helo

Wowsers guys... how did we miss this Xmas pressie idea....

http://www.womenofsci-fi.com/

Ther DVD version sounds, erm, interesting

"But it's Swiss!"

Post #: 8
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 6/1/2006 10:01:53 AM   
Captain Black

Thankfully, after a day of hammering my refresh button (no that is not a euphamism! )the women of sci fi site seems to be up and running again. It must have taken a lot of hits after Helo recommended it. Ahem.

Anyway......

Quite an obvious note that tonight's the night for the sci fi channel to start broadcasting the Stargates and Galactica again. Fantastic.

It'll be quite cool if Sky are up to date now (are they?), it means that it might be a bit easier to chat about certain aspects without fear of spoilers. Spare a thought for our terrestrial friends too though.....

I expect I'll see a few of you on here tomorrow, in a comic book stylee to 'post my opinions on the show, immediately after it had finished'.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 9
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 6/1/2006 6:55:57 PM   
Joedini

Getting excited about new stargate now! Wooooo. Also 2 episodes into season 5 and i'm quite liking it. Although towards the end of Threshold Bra'tac calls Teal'c what sounds like "Tillak"

Post #: 10
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 6/1/2006 7:16:41 PM   
Helo

I have to be up early tomorrow anyway but I'd still be up unsually early on a Saturday to ...ahem...magically allow new Stargate to somehow appear on my PC's hard drive.....phew....

"But it's Swiss!"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 11
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 6/1/2006 7:58:34 PM   
Helo

If ever we needed a reason to get a new Hi Def TV......

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/01/iatlantisiamongsonysfirstb.shtml

"But it's Swiss!"

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 12
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 7/1/2006 8:37:09 PM   
Captain Black

9.11. The Fourth Horseman Part 2

Swish new credits. (For me anyway)

Yay - Don S. Davis in the guest list.

Everyone's bringing their A Game to this one.

Not a big fan of the child actor though, kudos for pronouncing minutiae, but he's just a bit flat for my tastes and just comes across as, well, dull.

William B Davis, our favourite Cigarette Smoking Man is back. Strange to see the scariest man in sci fi appear weak and powerless.

The Jackson/Mitchell double act was in full swing, As was the Teal'c and Bra'tac combo. Top stuff. Not sure about them killing off both Garek (sp?) and Cigarette Smoking Prior it would have been sensible to have one or the other in as big scary villain.

Heh heh, when Hammond says 'it's good to see you - all of you' it's almost as if he looks towards the camera and winks. When Landry was incapacitated, I was hoping Good old George would step in for a bit.

Yeah good episode overall, some laughs, some good drama, Chris Judge getting some nice dialogue. Still lacking a bit of something for my tastes, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 7/1/2006 8:38:17 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 13
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 7/1/2006 9:09:29 PM   
Joedini

I still haven't started downloading it! E donkey can't seem to find it! ARGH!!!!!

Post #: 14
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 7/1/2006 11:20:54 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black
Best wishes to you and your family, Erlenmeyer Flask, I hope everything's OK. I *ahem* know of a good torrent for S8 if you're into that sort of thing

Thanks Captain! I presume you mean S9 there. I honestly have not sat down on a Tuesday evening and looked at Stargate in god knows how long so it has pretty much passed me by so far this season. Oh well, if I find time I'll try and catch some of it soon, I miss it, I guess there's a danger if I don't tune in I could loose interest.... don't go all Zat Gun on my ass for that last statement.

I presume Gateworld is a good place to do some catching up if I've only time to read and not download or watch...haven't a clue where the mytharc is now and how the standalones have been this season.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 7/1/2006 11:26:38 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!
Post #: 15
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 8/1/2006 11:46:29 AM   
Captain Black

8, 9 it's all good . I think I assumed you were on Channel F*** speed. Is it Prometheus Unbound on there today?

The mytharc? I think that's what non X-Files people refer to as the 'plot' (no offense, I used to love The X Files back in the day too, I just wish it wasn't as popular they might have actually closed all the plot threads then).

All this Ori business including their intention to(spoiler from 9.11): destroy the ancients has left me somewhat confused as to where everyone fits in the grand scheme of things, in terms of age of existence, technological advancement and so on, for example:

Top Level:

Ascended Beings

Ancients                   Asgard                Ori(?)
             (who are all ascended now?)                     

Wraith(?)                  Gao'uld             Ori Priors (I guess)

Humans                   Jaffa

Lowest of the low:

I've left the Replicators out for now.

So is that kinda correct?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 16
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 8/1/2006 12:42:40 PM   
Helo

What about our Furling friends?   Rumour has it we'll get to see them finally in Season 10.

"But it's Swiss!"

Post #: 17
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 9/1/2006 9:23:42 PM   
Joedini

Watched all of season 5 as my Stargate marathon and really enjoyed it. Not sure where all the negativity about it has come from really! Into Season 6 now and missing Daniel, don't dislike Jonas though which is a plus. I like the inclusion of McKay - really didn't see it coming that he would be in a season Five episode. He's way better in Redemption than in 48 hours though

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 18
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 10:49:45 AM   
Beckymonster

A present for Helo and Mozza and all fans of the one, the only Napoleonic Powermonger (don't get me wrong - love Doc Lam but...)

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/graphics/913_07.shtml

BIG SPOILERS BEHIND THAT CUT - DON'T GO THERE UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW!

I don't usually d/l SG-1 but this one I will...  with hankies on standby

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 19
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 10:59:46 AM   
Captain Black

Let's see how ambiguous I can make this for the unspoiled....

No way - Is that? Yes it is!

I think that's called giving the fans what they want.

I've read the plot summary for that episode and it seems like an absolute fanboy (or girl) dream!

I should get Atlantis 2.03 to watch tonight, assuming my router hasn't melted by the time I get home.

Yeah, that last part? Not so ambiguous.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 20
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 6:55:41 PM   
Joedini

2.3 is pretty good, meet an interestin new character in it. My personal faves are 2.7/2.10 and 2.11. The whole season is superb though (well from what I have seen). i am still hoping Stargate season 9 picks up in the second half.

Post #: 21
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 7:39:30 PM   
Helo

I have to say that 9.11 was a huge step in the right direction for SG-1.  Much improved on the season so far.  An appearance from the Crown of Marble too! 

Sky shows the same Ep tonight, finally catching up with SciFi. 

I've been looking forward to Ripple Effect ever since I found out about it's guest star.  I'll be getting caps done as soon as it's on my PC.

"But it's Swiss!"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 22
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 7:43:50 PM   
Joedini

I can't wait for that one. (Ripple Effect)
I'm watching 9.11 tonight, didn't bother getting it through *ahem* other means as it was only a few days until sky shows it

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 23
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 8:49:59 PM   
Beckymonster

Same reasoning here too...  BSG: happily download that - despite those 'pesky' work related principles!  Even if it does mean waiting until Sunday

SG-1 - happy to wait...  but this one?  Might make an exception for!

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 24
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 9:17:31 PM   
Joedini

Pretty darn good that episode. I forgot how bloody annoying ad breaks were though.
Definately a step up on the first half of the season.

Post #: 25
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 10:09:27 PM   
Captain Black

Ad breaks? What ad breaks? 

Just watched Atlantis 2.03 ( I forget the name, was it 'The Runner' of similar?)

Again, really enjoyed it - I don't know if it's the script or direction or what, but I just find the Atlantis episodes that much better at the moment.

I thought Dex (or not!Tyr if you will......actually, in C++ ! means 'not' as in not equal to, so not! is equivalent to 'not not' and hey - wake up at the back this is interesting stuff ) was a good addition, both as a character and an indication that his race is slightly more advanced technologically than most of the other races we meet. I'd like to see a planet where they're actually more advanced than we are, remember the Early days when all we had was Teal'c's staff and a Stargate? Now we've got everything from hyperdrives to cloaked puddle jumpers (or gate-ships if you will ) to beaming technology. I do hope he gets a haircut though, dreadlocks are soooo......well, crap.

I take it they're going to play Ford as a bit of a wild card this year, fair enough, I think he's had more lines in the two episodes of season 2 that he's appeared in than all of season 1.

Edit: Does anyone want any Stargate avatars making? If so, try and pick something that I've got the video for, so anything season 8 of SG1, first half S2 of Atlantis, opening credits that sort of thing. I could do just a changing image if you send me the pics.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 10/1/2006 10:18:29 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 26
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 10:21:11 PM   
Joedini

Ronan Dex is pretty cool. My only issue with him though is that in later episodes he reminds me of Teal'c quite a bit, not that I dislike Teal'c it's just sometimes it's a bit much.
Oh Cap'n, look out for the stunning episode 13 which is ruined (for me anyway) when Teyla breaks into a 3 minute song .... seriously

Post #: 27
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 10/1/2006 10:33:59 PM   
Captain Black

I was confused then, I wondered how you'd seen ep 13 but they've been broadcast in Canada haven't they?

So singing aside, are you serious with the 'stunning' comment or is that sarcasm?

I can imagine Weir doing a mean Karaoke when she's had a few to drink.
Heh heh, I'd love to see her do a duet with Shephard on Meat Loaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light. 'Stop right now.......'

And Rodney, I bet he'd be a miserable so and so, I could just seem he doing his best Bryan Ferry;
'I could feel at the time......*mumble mumble*
there was no way of knowing........*no it's OK I remember the next line*
oh the leaves in the night
who can tell where they're blowing....

more than this......

I must apologise, I don't know what I'm on about tonight and shockingly, I haven't been drinking.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 28
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 11/1/2006 8:52:21 AM   
Beckymonster

(Picks up the Captain's glass, sniffs it and gives it back to him)

Kudos for the 'Lost in Translation' reference (we are a movie board remember) but for the rest of it...  WHAT THE FRELL ARE YOU ON?!

And can I have some  Agreed with your comments about Ronon/Tyr.  After all, why not - Rommie and Rhade have both appeared in SG-1...  why not have 'Tyr' in Atlantis.  What the hey - he gets my approval - just for the eye candy...  .

Oh and the next one 'Duet' is very good.  Not as good as 'Lifeboat' nor 'The Parting of the Ways' (yes, I know that's Doctor Who - it will make sense when you see it!) but still a fine episode. 

On a completely different note - BSG looked gorgeous on Sky last night. 

Post #: 29
RE: Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - 11/1/2006 10:00:32 AM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beckymonster

(Picks up the Captain's glass, sniffs it and gives it back to him)

Kudos for the 'Lost in Translation' reference (we are a movie board remember) but for the rest of it...  WHAT THE FRELL ARE YOU ON?!

And can I have some  Agreed with your comments about Ronon/Tyr.  After all, why not - Rommie and Rhade have both appeared in SG-1...  why not have 'Tyr' in Atlantis.  What the hey - he gets my approval - just for the eye candy...  .

Oh and the next one 'Duet' is very good.  Not as good as 'Lifeboat' nor 'The Parting of the Ways' (yes, I know that's Doctor Who - it will make sense when you see it!) but still a fine episode. 

On a completely different note - BSG looked gorgeous on Sky last night. 

Honestly, in my head it was funny. Honest. No, really!

I saw a bit of Andromeda last night, I didn't pay too much attention as that was when I was about to watch Atlantis. Is Rhade played by Steve Bacic?

They talk about movies here? I haven't seen Lost In Translation actually, I didn't know there was a Roxy Music sequence. That Sofia Coppola, always nicking my ideas.

Was BSG in high def? Are they doing that with a lot of shows? Or were you just referring to Apollo, Becky?

Invisiotext:

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Stargate SG1, Atlantis and Universe Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI