Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  510 511 [512] 513 514   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/12/2013 7:39:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Black Christmas is on the Horror Channel tomorrow night, and Christmas Evil is on the same channel on Christmas Day.

A wonderful film for Christmas

Have an excellent Christmas folks.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 15331
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/12/2013 11:55:48 PM   
losthighway

Been to see two more films...

FLOATING SKYSCRAPERS... The first ever Polish LGBT film (apparently!). One of the most miserable and bleak films I've seen all year (it reminded me a lot of the miserabalist nature of Tyrannosaur - which I hated!). Unlikeable central characters, the women are presented as complete bitches, the tone throughout the entire film is cold and there is no happy ending for anyone. Three people walked out before the end it was that bleak/bad/slow/delete as appropriate. I can't recommend this one. Apart from some very explicit sex scenes and graphic violence I'm really not sure what the point of the film was!? Overall: 2/5

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG... I'll be honest, it took me a while to get into this. I really enjoyed the first film (and recently bought the extended edition for a tenner!) but I couldn't keep up with characters names, I'm still not sure why Gandalf goes to the castle on the hill other than to set up an intro to the LOTR trilogy, Legolas works after all the criticisms of his character being in this film - he's a very different elf to the one we knew. The film is worth seeing for the river rapids scene alone but overall I was very impressed by the end and that ending is a real cliffhanger!! I can understand why critics are saying it's better than the first film - essentially because tonally it's a lot closer to the original trilogy, whereas the first film had a very different feel and I think in some ways it's sad PJ has lost some of the feel of the first film. My only other criticism would be that in quite a few scenes (due to an abundance of CGI), it looks like you're watching a cartoon. Not overly problematic but much more noticeable than in the first film. Overall: 4/5

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15332
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/12/2013 1:19:33 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Been to see two more films...

FLOATING SKYSCRAPERS... The first ever Polish LGBT film (apparently!). One of the most miserable and bleak films I've seen all year (it reminded me a lot of the miserabalist nature of Tyrannosaur - which I hated!). Unlikeable central characters, the women are presented as complete bitches, the tone throughout the entire film is cold and there is no happy ending for anyone. Three people walked out before the end it was that bleak/bad/slow/delete as appropriate. I can't recommend this one. Apart from some very explicit sex scenes and graphic violence I'm really not sure what the point of the film was!? Overall: 2/5

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG... I'll be honest, it took me a while to get into this. I really enjoyed the first film (and recently bought the extended edition for a tenner!) but I couldn't keep up with characters names, I'm still not sure why Gandalf goes to the castle on the hill other than to set up an intro to the LOTR trilogy, Legolas works after all the criticisms of his character being in this film - he's a very different elf to the one we knew. The film is worth seeing for the river rapids scene alone but overall I was very impressed by the end and that ending is a real cliffhanger!! I can understand why critics are saying it's better than the first film - essentially because tonally it's a lot closer to the original trilogy, whereas the first film had a very different feel and I think in some ways it's sad PJ has lost some of the feel of the first film. My only other criticism would be that in quite a few scenes (due to an abundance of CGI), it looks like you're watching a cartoon. Not overly problematic but much more noticeable than in the first film. Overall: 4/5

After going to see this for a second time, this time in 2D, I feel I have to knock a point off , so it seems we agree on The Hobbit; The Desolation Of Smaug, and I too felt at times it was too like a CGI catoon, and had this same problem with the first. Also don't like the way it feels to much like Lord Of The Rings now in both music and overall style, though at the end of the day it is the book that led to Lord Of The Rings, but still just minor gripes, it's still a great entertaining film, one of the best of this years blockbusters.8/10 

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 15333
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/12/2013 7:09:31 PM   
Dr Lenera

In Japan, young Kai is found in the woods as a young child. A samurai tries to kill him, but he is saved by the kindly Lord Asano. Over the years, he forms a bond with Asoís daughter Mira, but remains an outcast to others because of being a half-breed and is even rumoured to have been the child of demons. The evil Lord Kira wants both Asanoís land and his daughter and, assisted by a witch, sets about a chain of events to discredit Asano, eventually forcing him to commit seppuku Ė ritual suicide by disembowelment, while Kai is beaten and sold into slavery and Asanoís samurai are now all ronin Ė disgraced and masterless. To ensure peace, the Shogun also says that the Kira can marry Asanoís daughter Mira after a year has passed so Kira can mournÖ.

You know what the hardest part of a review is? The star rating. I constantly change my mind about what to give a film out of ten and have even on occasion gone back to a review after it has been published and altered the rating slightly because, as Iím sure youíll agree, a film can seem better or worse after a few days. I went into 47 Ronin expecting a five star or less film and for the first half hour or so I was so pleasantly surprised I began to give it seven in my mind, but after that the filmís flaws seemed more obvious [I wouldnít say it got significantly worse] and I lowered it to five. Come the ending though, I was so impressed that they kept the original taleís downbeat ending and actually rather moved that I raised it to seven again. I guess six is about right then, and Iíll try to keep it that, though I canít promise.

Much like The Lone Ranger, 47 Ronin seemed to carry the unmistakeable stench of an arriving stinker before anyone had even seen it, and will almost certainly flop at the box office. The Lone Ranger wasnít quite as bad as all that though [though it still wasnít very good], and neither is 47 Ronin, which is actually somewhat better than The Lone Ranger: for a start, it doesnít feel anyway near as disjointed. The main trouble with it commercially seems to be that Keanu Reeves is no longer a box office draw, and that unless it features a well known character or a major star, audiences donít generally take to Asian-themed films [actually they donít tend to take to films without a well known character or major star full stop at the moment, which is very depressing but not within the scope of this review to moan and groan about] and 47 Ronin is blatantly going for the popcorn crowd rather than the slightly different [though of course it shouldnít be] Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon audience. Artistically it seems to have angered many people, especially Japanese, who are annoyed that one of Japanís most popular real-life stories has been embellished with fantasy elements, gallons of CGI and a totally invented role for an American star, and they certainly wonít flock to see it. I can understand their feelings. It was probably considered a necessary commercial move [even if it hasnít worked much] to bring a Westerner into the story, even if it does help weaken the film because Keanuís role seems so pointless and an obvious add-on. As for all the flashy effects and sub-Mummy/Lord Of The Rings stuff, I donít think their inclusion is that awful. Good stories can survive being told in different ways, and the tale of the 47 Ronin is still there. The problem is that the effects are often quite poor.

So whatís the original story about, something that you wouldnít have got much of a gist of from my synopsis of the filmís first third? Itís the most famous example of bushido, the samurai code of honour, and has been adapted many times in Japan for different mediums. There have been six films alone, the most famous dating from 1962. As the end credits of 47 Ronin will inform you, it is an occasion celebrated by thousands of Japanese even till today on December 14th. The true story tells of a group of samurai who were left leaderless after their feudal lord was compelled to commit suicide for assaulting a court official. Masterlass and therefore disgraced, and now ronin, they opted to take their revenge. With much embellishment, this event was popularized in Japanese culture as emblematic of the loyalty, sacrifice, persistence, and honour that people should preserve in their daily lives. What 47 Ronin does is to take this story, place it in a more fantastical world which seems to have been dreamt up by people who donít really know much about actual Japanese mythology but do have a vague idea of itÖ.and add Keanu Reeves.

Now Iím going to say right away that the man still canít act, something that is ridiculous considering how long heís been in movies Ė I mean for Godís sake even Arnold Schwarzenegger is a little more relaxed and expressive in front of the camera than he used to be. Therefore it feels seriously wrong when not only is his character, who didnít exist, given prominence [to the point of actually adding scenes and reshooting some of the film] while others who actually existed are pushed to the forefront, but also that Reeves is still out-acted by everyone else in sight. The best way to approach 47 Ronin then is as typical Hollywood effects-filled hokum and on that level the film does often entertain. The pace is fast and youíre never far from an action scene. Within the first few minutes thereís a big sequence involving lots of horse-backed samurai hunting a strange boar-like creature who has tree branches for two of his legs, ending when Kai saves a samurai from death and kills the creature. The plentiful fighting will keep any young boy from getting bored, but for the critical adult it suffers from two problems. The first is that first-time director Carl Rinsch gives us far too many close-ups so that we donít always get much of a sense of scale, nor can we appreciate the nifty samurai moves enough. The second is that the CGI is very variable and often just looks cheap. Iím going to tell you that we get a dragon in the climax, and for once itís of the Asian variety, but no amount of frenzied cutting and camera movement can disguise the fact that it just doesnít look like itís there Ė in fact you can almost see through the bloody thing.

Still, the film often looks good in other respects, offering some nice views of the Japanese landscapes and a strong use of colour throughout, really making the most out of the brightness of some of the costumes and things like a sunset making the inside of a house all yellow and orange. Cinematographer John Mathieson does a great job here, and itís a great shame that Ilan Eshkeriís bland score only occasionally rises to the occasion. In amongst all the add-ons, the original story is still there, even if thereís little dwelling on its moral and philosophical elements. Itís annoying how we donít get to know most of the ronin and how, expect for Oishi, the only other two we do know a little are strictly archetypes Ė the one who hates Kai because Kai saved his life, and the one who is a bit fat and therefore funny. Even Oishi gets a bit shunted aside: the general flaw in the filmís conception is epitomised by the brevity of a scene in which Oishi tells his son and his sonís wife that they have to divorce, something considered less important than the love of Kai and Mira, though I will admit that come the end the film did actually bring the odd tear to my eye, a sure sign that it was at least partially working. It deserves kudos for not chickening out at the end, though the viewer will still probably be left finding certain customs inexplicable, the film not really doing a good job of trying to make us understand them.

The Japanese performers, which include some of the popular and respected of today, all fare well, the best probably being Min Tanaka, who gives Asano considerable dignity, leaving the film with a gaping hole when he dies, and Tadanobu Asano, often called the ĎJapanese Johnny Deppí, sneeringly evil as the nasty Kira. KŰ Shibasaki is a beautiful female lead though for me that side of things is stolen by Pacific Rimís Rinko Kikuchi, bringing back glorious memories to this old Hong Kong movie fan of the likes of Bridget Lin as the unnamed Witch, looking fabulous whirling around in her dress all over the screen. 47 Ronin is problematic and a fatally flawed movie, but at times itís so enjoyable that I wished I could actually rate it higher. Itís decent fun to take the family to and youíll find that the two hours will fly by.

Rating: 6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15334
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/12/2013 9:07:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

Walter Mitty is an employee at Life magazine who frequently daydreams of fantastic adventures which usually involving him rescuing his co-worker Cheryl Melhoff, with whom he is in love. Photojournalist Sean O'Connell has sent a special photograph that he says captures the'Quintessenc' of Life magazine and that it should be used for the cover of the magazine's final issue. Mitty works in the negative assets department, and has never lost a photo in his sixteen years of work at Life magazine, but negative 25 is missing. Using the other negatives as clues, Mitty decides to go in search of Sean O'Connell and find the missing negativeÖ.

James Thurberís blackly comic and actually pretty dark short story Walter Mitty could be expanded into a really strong film, but this confused fluff masquerading as something more profound certainly isnít it, and isnít even as good as the 1947 musical version [actually Brazil is in some respects closer to the tone of the story], which at least was entertaining. This one sometimes comes across as more of an extended advertisement for Eharmony than anything else, while the insidious product placement throughout is distracting. Only the first third remotely resembles the supposed source material, though the fantasy sequences are often hampered by shoddy editing and CGI, while the so-called Ďcomedyí in the real world mostly falls flat. After a while, it all turns into a kind of New Agey adventure story whose message might very well be that you should live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment, but seemed to me more like Ďif you do crazy life-threatening stuff youíll get your girlí, hardly a good message to present to the viewing public.

The photography of Greenland, Iceland and the Himalayas is striking and a few moments do contain some of the magic that the whole thing seems to be half-heartedly striving for, but as many bits donít work whatsoever, like a horrid Benjamin Button gag, though for most of the time the film isn't unpleasant, just bland and muddled. The filmís nostalgia for When Times Were Better would be more pleasing if Stiller and scriptwriter Steve Conrad hadnít so thoroughly destroyed a literary classic and created something so empty and disjointed. I will say that the final shot brought a smile even to my mouth, but this is generally a major failure and, not to mention, a travesty of Sturber.

4.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15335
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/12/2013 10:02:20 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

The Japanese performers, which include some of the popular and respected of today, all fare well, the best probably being Min Tanaka, who gives Asano considerable dignity, leaving the film with a gaping hole when he dies, and Tadanobu Asano, often called the 'Japanese Johnny Depp', sneeringly evil as the nasty Kira. KŰ Shibasaki is a beautiful female lead though for me that side of things is stolen by Pacific Rim's Rinko Kikuchi, bringing back glorious memories to this old Hong Kong movie fan of the likes of Bridget Lin as the unnamed Witch, looking fabulous whirling around in her dress all over the screen. 47 Ronin is problematic and a fatally flawed movie, but at times it's so enjoyable that I wished I could actually rate it higher. It's decent fun to take the family to and you'll find that the two hours will fly by.

Rating: 6/10

Well may just give this a try, as the holiday comes to an end and the kids will soon return to school, so one for the new years first weekend.

quote:

The photography of Greenland, Iceland and the Himalayas is striking and a few moments do contain some of the magic that the whole thing seems to be half-heartedly striving for, but as many bits donít work whatsoever, like a horrid Benjamin Button gag, though for most of the time the film isn't unpleasant, just bland and muddled. The filmís nostalgia for When Times Were Better would be more pleasing if Stiller and scriptwriter Steve Conrad hadnít so thoroughly destroyed a literary classic and created something so empty and disjointed. I will say that the final shot brought a smile even to my mouth, but this is generally a major failure and, not to mention, a travesty of Sturber.

4.5/10

This is a no no!!, i'm not a fan of either his acting, writing or directional skills, so was always going to be a miss for me, and going by your review well it sounds like a total piece of Shit!!!, no surprise there.

Anyway i'll just wish all on here a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15336
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/1/2014 6:30:02 PM   
dannyfletch

Surprised to see such a low rating from you on this. I went with the GF to see it last night and we both had great fun. For Stiller's sixth film as director he has certainly proven his worth as a director ( especially after the abysmal Tropic Thunder!) Great entertainment with a few good laughs throughout and a likeable lead performance. I do agree that it isn't very true to the original source however but sometimes I do enjoy a bit of light hearted fun which I found it was. One I will watch again and a 7/10 from me

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 3/1/2014 9:19:11 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15337
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/1/2014 7:42:22 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

For Stiller's first film as director he has certainly proven he is a man of many talents!

He's directed a fair few films already old chap..

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 15338
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/1/2014 8:10:47 PM   
evil bill

Watched this on old years night.
ONLY GOD FORGIVES (2013)

Julian (Ryan Gosling), a respected figure in the criminal underworld of Bangkok, runs a Thai boxing club and smuggling ring with his brother When Julian's brother Billy murders an underage prostitute, the police call on retired cop Chang - the Angel of Vengeance. Chang allows the father to kill his daughter's murderer, then 'restores order' by chopping off the man's right hand. Julian's mother Crystal (Kristin Scott Thomas) the head of a powerful criminal organization - arrives in Bangkok to collect her son's body. She demands that Julian is to settle the score with his brother's killers, so Julian not only finds himself in the ultimate showdown, but a fight for his own soul.

I was hoping for a great Crime Thriller/Drama here, but was not looking for another Drive film which this is not, though we have Ryan Gosling re united with director, Nicolas Winding Refn, so signs where good. Now the gripes first, and there are a few, like the plot which feels fractured, some of the acting borders on pure ham(don't look at the camera, NOOOO!!!), it's badly paced too, even though it's a simple story, it gets lost in all the neon lighting. Sounds bad folks, but it has some amazing scenes, some great acting from the two leads, and some of the most disturbing violence put to screen last year. And though I feel like Refn was trying to out do David Lynch at times, it is a work of art, with a mix of Kubrick's eye for composing a shot, Argento's use of primary colours and skill at making a simple act of violence turn your stomach, yet keep you glued. Ultimately though it's more like Chan-wook Park's Korean movie Oldboy with it's over powering atmosphere of violence lurking round every corner of every scene, and even the way it opens with the titles in Thai along with the opening dialogue, very oriental, and with subtitles, though Ryan and the other western actors do speak English as the film moves on.

Back to the acting with Vithaya Pansringarm, as Chang the retired cop who comes across as the angel of death, is wonderful in his role as the mystical cop, and surprise me by the quality of his acting, as he completely soaked up the atmosphere of the film and makes his character feel mysterious and fascinating in equal measures.Ryan Gosling playing a different character from Drive, yet in many ways it is the Driver except that here he is indeed even more emotionless it seems, as he speaks only a handful of lines during the whole movie, he is also a man who is losing his soul here, a member of a crime family who is the weaker member, and who has a moral side that neither his brother Billy or Mother has. This is where Ryan is at his best, the loner in a world of neon and violence, but he must decide what is right and what is wrong, and this is all written across his face, as we see him struggle with events he has no control over. But the best performance is from Kristen Scott Thomas as Gosling's reprehensible white-trash mother in a terrific display of her versatility, and is one hell of a scary villain, which would even scare the Wicked Witch of the West. A real powerhouse of a performance, that should open the door to greater roles, as she burns the screen with rage and a sexuality that in the hands of another lesser actress would have been laughable.

The story is depressing and disturbing as it deals with child abuse, and other perverse subject's, yet it's simple layout covers it's deeper symbolism as it becomes a Freudian nightmare, a true arthouse ultra violent film, not unlike Lars von Trier's Anit Christ of a few years ago. Both have the slow pacing and static shots that seem gratuitous at first, but as the movie picks up we begin to understand the reason, it is a visual experience word pictures mean more that what is spoken, where a mother, turns out to be pure evil. Where children and drugs are to be sold, along with your soul, where there is no easy answers only questions, of life love death and violence, all blasted into your brain with stunning visuals. and the trade mark pop electronic soundtrack with a dash of oriental music too. This will divide fans of Drive, and some fans of Refn too, but if you got Anit Christ, and felt it was your kind of film, well think about it with a large drop of Oldboy chucked in for good messure. A bit slow paced, and confused plot at times, but in the end it did have impact, it did disturb, and Chang is the Angel of Vengeance like no other, up against the wicked witch of them all, and for that it's thumbs up, and yes it could have been better so.7/10

Post #: 15339
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2014 9:05:04 AM   
UTB

I feel conflicted about Only God Forgives.

For the most part I found it to be truly terrible, in an unintentionally funny way. I found it po-faced, ridiculous, silly.... and yet, I loved it. Can't wait to see it again. Would make a good double bill with Enter The Void.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15340
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2014 11:33:49 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I feel conflicted about Only God Forgives.

For the most part I found it to be truly terrible, in an unintentionally funny way. I found it po-faced, ridiculous, silly.... and yet, I loved it. Can't wait to see it again. Would make a good double bill with Enter The Void.

I feel a similar way. I don't like the film, yet for all the reasons I don't like it, I kind of want to see it again. There's something weirdly alluring about it.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15341
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2014 9:02:14 PM   
dannyfletch

Yes, 6 in total I think! Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that lol!
Well anyway, I found his latest to be good fun.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15342
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2014 9:15:08 PM   
dannyfletch

Glad to hear you enjoyed it mate. I found it was excellent and loved it for all the reasons some people hated it.

Watched the Conjuring the other night and even second time round it creeped me out! Definitely the best and most effective horror I have seen in a long time and in my opinion James Wan's best film yet ( closely followed by Insidious). The fact that it's based on real events creeped me out even more. Purchased the Blu-Ray which is a great transfer with some good extra features including a documentary about the real ghost hunters Ed and Lorain Warren. Interestingly it shows the real collection of possessed items they collected which creepily shows the real doll with the face blurred out ( sent a big shiver up my spine lol). One I strongly recommend to any horror fans on here who have yet to watch it. A strong 9/10 would be my rating!

Ordered Insidious 2 as I am yet to see it! I'm hoping it's worth it! Any opinions on here wether it's any good?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15343
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2014 9:18:00 PM   
Whistler

quote:

Ordered Insidious 2 as I am yet to see it! I'm hoping it's worth it! Any opinions on here wether it's any good?

It's decent with a few good scares, but it's not nearly as creepy as the first one.

Eddy's Film Review

Post #: 15344
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/1/2014 8:32:56 AM   
Dr Lenera

I changed my mind on Only God Forgives. At the cinema it left me cold and hollow, despite its fantastic look and style. I watched it again on DVD and loved the bloody thing. Who knows though, I may dislike it again next time!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15345
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/1/2014 12:02:48 PM   
Whistler

Had a bit of a break over Christmas - feel like I haven't written a review for ages! So here's a shortish one to get back into the swing of things.

Director: David OíRussell
Writer: Eric Singer, David OíRussell
Starring: Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, Louis C.K., Jack Huston, Michael Pena, Shea Whigham, Robert DeNiro
Running time: 138 minutes
Certification: 15

After a con man and his partner get busted by the FBI for dishing out illegal loans, theyíre forced into working with the bureau to bribe and take down a number of high government officials. The question is, whoís conning who?

In assembling the cast for his latest feature, David OíRussell has pulled a move akin to Christopher Nolan by amalgamating the main stars of his previous two films; Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper of Silver Linings Playbook and Christian Bale and Amy Adams of The Fighter, with only Jeremy Renner thrown in for a dash of diversity. If such a cast isnít impressive enough on paper, each of them makes sure to leave a mark as they try to outdo each other by putting in the most loud, scenery-chewing, over the top performances of their careers, in what is sure to be Ė despite the January 1st release date Ė one of the most sensory-shocking films of the year.

Yet labelling the performances as over the top isnít meant as a criticism; rather, an observation. All of those involved, from Lawrenceís neurotic, flirty wife to Cooperís incessantly talky FBI agent, are only mirroring the tone and pace of a wildly rambunctious, loose-cannoned script that slows down for no-one and has fun whenever and however it wants to. These characters arenít easy to spend time with Ė theyíre exhausting, in fact Ė but their dynamic and chemistry, and the snappy pace of their exchanges, make them easy to laugh with and hilariously compelling. Because of this, American Hustle is not a relaxing film to watch; weíre having to pay close attention to a deftly intricate and subversively funny script while simultaneously being subjected to constant partying, screaming, arguments and confidently boisterous musical choices, but itís the kind of film that, if you can find a way in, youíll have as much fun as the people youíre watching.

The cream of the crop is very much Christian Bale and his phenomenal method acting. From buff in Equilibrium to a bag of bones in The Machinist then back to super buff in Batman Begins, one wonders how heís possibly able to put his body through such drastic changes with almost every role. If we thought he was unable to commit more to a role than that of Dicky Eklund or Trevor Resnik, Irving Rosenfeld sets out to prove us very much wrong. Rather than strip himself down to skin and bones, he piles on the undoubtedly unhealthy pounds and impressively takes top prize for best hair in a film that sports Bradley Cooper with a perm.

OíRussellís direction is equally as audacious and confident as everything else; full of whip pans, crash zooms and constant movement as he continuously gets in close and intimate with the action. By now itís clear heís a fantastic director of actors, and even more clear thatís heís built up a strong rapport with these few in particular, getting the very brash best out of proven performers already at the top of their game. With the sheer volume of information being dished out, his film sometimes gets a little carried away with its sparky political dialogue and threatens to leave us in the dust if weíre not paying complete attention 100% of the time, but he grounds it with humour and more often than not weíll find ourselves behind because weíre laughing so much rather than being overwhelmed by the script, which is hard not to marvel at.

American Hustle is hardly a soothing film to watch Ė itís a wild, loud, flirtatious concoction of overwhelming performances, zippy direction and a sharp script Ė but itís a film that, if youíre in the mood, will tick every outrageous box.

4/5

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15346
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 5/1/2014 12:42:59 AM   
UTB

This evening's viewings...

Assault On Precinct 13 (1976) - classic John Carpenter. Love this movie and the recent Shout! Factory release is stunning, brilliant transfer.

The Mist - been a while since I watched this. Have to say, the sfx don't hold up very well, though this doesn't detract from the quality of the film, nor the utter brilliance of Marcia Gay Harden's performance, who has to be one of the most dislikeable characters in cinema history. Still the think the ending is unintentionally funny, though...

The Lords Of Salem - Interesting one this. I first saw this over a year ago and I seem to recall rather liking it, loving the the visuals and rather disliking Mrs Zombie's performance (though this can be said for all of her performances...). Now, upon a second viewing, I have to say that it really is a rather impressive piece of genre cinema. Brilliant use of visuals and sound and the supporting cast around Mrs Zombie really carry the film. A great late-night treat.

< Message edited by UTB -- 5/1/2014 12:44:34 AM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15347
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 5/1/2014 1:16:51 PM   
Whistler

quote:

The Mist - been a while since I watched this. Have to say, the sfx don't hold up very well, though this doesn't detract from the quality of the film, nor the utter brilliance of Marcia Gay Harden's performance, who has to be one of the most dislikeable characters in cinema history. Still the think the ending is unintentionally funny, though...

The B&W version is a lot more kind on the CGI, which as you say is rather poor. I love the ending, though. Harrowing.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15348
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 5/1/2014 1:20:43 PM   
Whistler

Director: Christopher Landon
Writer: Christopher Landon
Starring: Andrew Jacobs, Jorge Diaz, Gabrielle Walsh, Renee Victor, Noemi Gonzalez
Running time: 84 minutes

A spin-off of the popular Paranormal Activity series. Jesse begins experiencing unnatural events after waking up with a strange marking on his arm. What at first appears harmless and fun soon turns sinister, as Jesse becomes something his friends and family donít recognize.

Last year was the first year since the first Paranormal Activity hit our screens that Paramount hasnít released a sequel to its enormously popular franchise. To make up for that fact, theyíve decided to release two films this year; the standard Paranormal Activity 5 in October, and this spin-off in a month not generally associated with horror. Iím one such fan of the first film, so much so that I would cite it as one of the most effective horror films ever made, but even with such a deep love embedded in my horror soul, I still show a certain respect for the sequels. Paranormal Activity 2 showed us a little more of the story that led to the hauntings of Micah and Katie while utilizing more cameras throughout the house to catch various rooms simultaneously. Paranormal Activity 3 went even further back, to Katieís childhood, and was the first to introduce the whole coven element to the story which has now become the main focus of the films; The Marked Ones being no exception. While it began to explain things too much (less is more and all that), it found more ways to scare us without the luxury of modern technology, and in my opinion, housed the scariest scene in the entire franchise: Bloody Mary. Then there was Paranormal Activity 4, which was the first actual sequel to the original film, and the first to change family. While there were a few good scares, this is when the franchise finally began to lose steam. In that respect, it owes a debt to The Marked Ones for suddenly awarding it so much

The grand failing of The Marked Ones is that it seems to forget its origins, and therefore what film it actually is. Thereís a distinct lack of any paranormal activity within these modest/merciful 84 minutes, save for a bit of possession and levitation. Early on, Jesse discovers he can fall off a table and not be hurt Ė caught by some kind of ďguardian angelĒ Ė and ask a Simon Says game any question and have an answer (one of the better sequences in the film). It doesnít scare him at first; he and his buddy have a lot of fun with it, but until events finally start to take a more sinister turn it feels like weíre watching Chronicle 2; a young man suddenly wakes up with supernatural powers and records himself doing stupid stuff with his friend. Even when it does finally remember itís a Paranormal Activity film, it doesnít really do much about it.

Iím not so cynical as to deny there are moments in The Marked Ones that will raise a hair or two. It does have certain sequences that raise the creep-o-meter Ė chief among them the coven Ė and there are more than a few jumps that might scatter your popcorn, should you choose to buy any. The problem is, The Marked Ones has forgotten why Paranormal Activity was so scary in the first place. It relies on easy jump scares instead of the slow, excruciatingly creepy build-up that Oren Peli did so well. In Paranormal Activity we saw nothing, not a jot, zilch; and it was one of the scariest films ever made. It was just a noise, something coming up the stairs, then that eerie feeling of a presence in the room. While the sequels gradually showed a little more each time and introduced new elements to the story, they retained something of that less is more concept, understanding why it was so important. The Marked Ones simply descends into the generic throwing of people around a room while lights smash and furniture spins around. There never has and never will be anything scary about that. Perhaps the most irritating thing about the film is how it explains an unseen (therefore creepy) event of the original.

Itís a problem when an established film franchise changes characters, unless thereís a good story to be told. With such a limited idea, the fact that the sequels retained characters within the same family (Paranormal Activity 4 at least remained close to the original events) gave us something to care about. The Marked Ones not only ditches everyone we know (for the most part), but never even gets close to the point of us caring about them. Jesseís girl friend, Marisol, seems incidental to much of the plot, only there for something nice to look at, and Jesse and Hector Ė who does most of the camera work Ė are frankly just irritating. In the final sequence, as the camera runs around hiding in cupboards, the remark ďI wish he would just dieĒ is never far from the lips.

It appears that my love affair with this franchise is finally over. The Marked Ones has moments of quality, but for the most part it fails to be either scary or interesting. Fans can still tentatively look forward to Paranormal Activity 5, but if this is any indication as to where the franchise is heading, thereís no cause for excitement.

2/5

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15349
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 6/1/2014 7:20:57 PM   
dannyfletch

Well after some thought, ignoring the bad reception it had at the box office and listening to a few positive reviews from Empire and friends/clients I finally gave Gore Verbinski's up to date version of the old classic western series (which I loved as a kid) The Lone Ranger a go and was quite satisfied with the results!
Based on the classic tv series which ran from 1949-1957, Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) brings us an up to date film version of the much loved western, giving us a different take on with more of a comedy approach. This is pretty much an origins story which tells us how man of the law John Reid became the masked avenger in the saddle who becomes known to locals as the Lone Ranger.
The film opens pretty much smack bang into the set up of a big action set piece involving the escorting, breakout and escape of psychotic criminal Butch Cavendish ( played by the ever reliable William Fichtner) who is being escorted on train with armed guard to be publicly executed for his long list of various crimes.
There's your set up which pretty much sets the tone of this fun, amusing and action packed western/comedy which is very much in the style of Verbinski's Pirates movies, which inventive action, silly humor and Johnny Depp doing what he does best and playing another odd ball but likable character and pretty much steals the show from little known leading man Armie Hammer (got to be a ridiculous screen name!).
Now admittedly I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about Armie Hammer so to me he is unknown until now so maybe that was one reason this didn't take off as he doesn't exactly have the experience or the caliber to be a leading man in a big action blockbuster as he just seemed way out of his depth and didn't quite convince. Having said that he has more than one facial expression (unlike Keanu Reeves in 47 Ronin, you would think after all these years of trying to act he would've got to grips with it by now!) and was ok handling the action scenes, Johnny Depp on the other hand was on top form for me, very funny and was a great choice to play Tonto.
At 2 hours and 29 minutes this is a pretty long film and does feel a bit stretched at times, Armie Hammer as I have mentioned probably wasn't the right choice to play the lead and some characters/actors failed to convince (Tom Wilkinson just doesn't do it for me as an american bad guy, even in Batman Begins) and also the pacing did feel a bit off at times. However this certainly isn't the disaster some will lead you to believe and there is much fun to be had (got to give credit to leading horse Silver, hilarious!), it's good old fashioned sunday matinee style entertainment that happily passes the time. 7/10

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 6/1/2014 7:26:33 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15350
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/1/2014 8:32:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Director: Christopher Landon
Writer: Christopher Landon
Starring: Andrew Jacobs, Jorge Diaz, Gabrielle Walsh, Renee Victor, Noemi Gonzalez
Running time: 84 minutes

A spin-off of the popular Paranormal Activity series. Jesse begins experiencing unnatural events after waking up with a strange marking on his arm. What at first appears harmless and fun soon turns sinister, as Jesse becomes something his friends and family donít recognize.

Last year was the first year since the first Paranormal Activity hit our screens that Paramount hasnít released a sequel to its enormously popular franchise. To make up for that fact, theyíve decided to release two films this year; the standard Paranormal Activity 5 in October, and this spin-off in a month not generally associated with horror. Iím one such fan of the first film, so much so that I would cite it as one of the most effective horror films ever made, but even with such a deep love embedded in my horror soul, I still show a certain respect for the sequels. Paranormal Activity 2 showed us a little more of the story that led to the hauntings of Micah and Katie while utilizing more cameras throughout the house to catch various rooms simultaneously. Paranormal Activity 3 went even further back, to Katieís childhood, and was the first to introduce the whole coven element to the story which has now become the main focus of the films; The Marked Ones being no exception. While it began to explain things too much (less is more and all that), it found more ways to scare us without the luxury of modern technology, and in my opinion, housed the scariest scene in the entire franchise: Bloody Mary. Then there was Paranormal Activity 4, which was the first actual sequel to the original film, and the first to change family. While there were a few good scares, this is when the franchise finally began to lose steam. In that respect, it owes a debt to The Marked Ones for suddenly awarding it so much

The grand failing of The Marked Ones is that it seems to forget its origins, and therefore what film it actually is. Thereís a distinct lack of any paranormal activity within these modest/merciful 84 minutes, save for a bit of possession and levitation. Early on, Jesse discovers he can fall off a table and not be hurt Ė caught by some kind of ďguardian angelĒ Ė and ask a Simon Says game any question and have an answer (one of the better sequences in the film). It doesnít scare him at first; he and his buddy have a lot of fun with it, but until events finally start to take a more sinister turn it feels like weíre watching Chronicle 2; a young man suddenly wakes up with supernatural powers and records himself doing stupid stuff with his friend. Even when it does finally remember itís a Paranormal Activity film, it doesnít really do much about it.

Iím not so cynical as to deny there are moments in The Marked Ones that will raise a hair or two. It does have certain sequences that raise the creep-o-meter Ė chief among them the coven Ė and there are more than a few jumps that might scatter your popcorn, should you choose to buy any. The problem is, The Marked Ones has forgotten why Paranormal Activity was so scary in the first place. It relies on easy jump scares instead of the slow, excruciatingly creepy build-up that Oren Peli did so well. In Paranormal Activity we saw nothing, not a jot, zilch; and it was one of the scariest films ever made. It was just a noise, something coming up the stairs, then that eerie feeling of a presence in the room. While the sequels gradually showed a little more each time and introduced new elements to the story, they retained something of that less is more concept, understanding why it was so important. The Marked Ones simply descends into the generic throwing of people around a room while lights smash and furniture spins around. There never has and never will be anything scary about that. Perhaps the most irritating thing about the film is how it explains an unseen (therefore creepy) event of the original.

Itís a problem when an established film franchise changes characters, unless thereís a good story to be told. With such a limited idea, the fact that the sequels retained characters within the same family (Paranormal Activity 4 at least remained close to the original events) gave us something to care about. The Marked Ones not only ditches everyone we know (for the most part), but never even gets close to the point of us caring about them. Jesseís girl friend, Marisol, seems incidental to much of the plot, only there for something nice to look at, and Jesse and Hector Ė who does most of the camera work Ė are frankly just irritating. In the final sequence, as the camera runs around hiding in cupboards, the remark ďI wish he would just dieĒ is never far from the lips.

It appears that my love affair with this franchise is finally over. The Marked Ones has moments of quality, but for the most part it fails to be either scary or interesting. Fans can still tentatively look forward to Paranormal Activity 5, but if this is any indication as to where the franchise is heading, thereís no cause for excitement.

2/5

I found this a distinct improvement over the lame fourth part and felt it scored points for going down some different pathways, though I agree that there wasn't really anyone to care about and it got a little muddled.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15351
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/1/2014 8:34:41 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Well after some thought, ignoring the bad reception it had at the box office and listening to a few positive reviews from Empire and friends/clients I finally gave Gore Verbinski's up to date version of the old classic western series (which I loved as a kid) The Lone Ranger a go and was quite satisfied with the results!
Based on the classic tv series which ran from 1949-1957, Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) brings us an up to date film version of the much loved western, giving us a different take on with more of a comedy approach. This is pretty much an origins story which tells us how man of the law John Reid became the masked avenger in the saddle who becomes known to locals as the Lone Ranger.
The film opens pretty much smack bang into the set up of a big action set piece involving the escorting, breakout and escape of psychotic criminal Butch Cavendish ( played by the ever reliable William Fichtner) who is being escorted on train with armed guard to be publicly executed for his long list of various crimes.
There's your set up which pretty much sets the tone of this fun, amusing and action packed western/comedy which is very much in the style of Verbinski's Pirates movies, which inventive action, silly humor and Johnny Depp doing what he does best and playing another odd ball but likable character and pretty much steals the show from little known leading man Armie Hammer (got to be a ridiculous screen name!).
Now admittedly I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about Armie Hammer so to me he is unknown until now so maybe that was one reason this didn't take off as he doesn't exactly have the experience or the caliber to be a leading man in a big action blockbuster as he just seemed way out of his depth and didn't quite convince. Having said that he has more than one facial expression (unlike Keanu Reeves in 47 Ronin, you would think after all these years of trying to act he would've got to grips with it by now!) and was ok handling the action scenes, Johnny Depp on the other hand was on top form for me, very funny and was a great choice to play Tonto.
At 2 hours and 29 minutes this is a pretty long film and does feel a bit stretched at times, Armie Hammer as I have mentioned probably wasn't the right choice to play the lead and some characters/actors failed to convince (Tom Wilkinson just doesn't do it for me as an american bad guy, even in Batman Begins) and also the pacing did feel a bit off at times. However this certainly isn't the disaster some will lead you to believe and there is much fun to be had (got to give credit to leading horse Silver, hilarious!), it's good old fashioned sunday matinee style entertainment that happily passes the time. 7/10

I also didn't find it quite as bad as some though I still couldn't rate it higher than 5.5/10, so much didn't work for me and the changes in tone jarred, but as you say there certainly was fun to be had at times.

Post #: 15352
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/1/2014 8:39:20 PM   
Dr Lenera

Journalist Barry Kohler stumbles upon a secret organization of Third Reich war criminals holding clandestine meetings in Paraguay and realizes that Dr Joseph Mengele, the infamous Auschwitz doctor, is among their number. He informs old Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman, who lives in Vienna, but Lieberman is not too bothered. Aided by a local boy, Kohler records one of the meetings and hears Mengele ordering a group of Nazis to kill 94 men, all 65 years old, in various countries. He rings Lieberman and plays him the tape before heís killed. Lieberman proceeds to follow Kohlerís leads and begins travelling throughout Europe and North America to investigate the suspicious deaths of a number of aging civil servantsÖ.

Though itís increasingly harder in these days of instant information, and God knows I myself am often prone to reading up on films before I watch them, I do actually believe that in many cases, the less you know about a film, the more rewarding it can often be. The Boys From Brazil is a very dark, slightly science fictional thriller in which weíre kept in the dark for a very long time as to what the dastardly Nazis in it are really trying to do, though we know itís an ambitious, complex and worldwide plot. The hero gradually pieces things together and the audience eventually realises everything at the same time he does unless he or she is very knowledgeable on a certain area of history. I can imagine some cinema-goers in 1978 gasping as everything became clear. However, the back of the R2 DVD of the film [and it wouldnít surprise me if the R1 was the same] clearly tells you what itís all about and I think itís a shame. All it had to say was something about a deadly Nazi plan, and Iím not going to give that much more away in this review. The film isnít too well known now, after all, though there have been rumblings of a remake several times of late so this may change. I have very fond memories of it being a rare film I was allowed to stay up and watch as a child and being absolutely fascinated by the story and gob-smacked by the revelation of what the villains are really up to.

Novelist Ira Levinís work had already led to commercially successful films of A Kiss Before Dying, Rosemaryís Baby and The Stepford Wives, Rosemaryís Baby also having been very good indeed, so it was little surprise that his next The Boys From Brazil, with its frightening and clever plot, was almost immediately snapped up for filming. Franklin J. Shaffner isnít much talked about now, but he was actually a top Hollywood director for quite a while with films like Planet Of The Apes, Patton and Papillon to his credit. Heywood Gouldís script altered little from the book while the production brought together three big Hollywood stars in their twilight years: Laurence Olivier, Gregory Peck [who actually replaced George C. Scott] and James Mason [who had to be talked into it]. Olivier, playing elderly Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman, based his performance on real-life Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, though he actually also sounds a lot like German actor Albert Bassermann [Foreign Correspondent, The Red Shoes]. He had actually played a villainous Nazi two years before in Marathon Man, a character who was clearly based on the real-life Joseph Mengele, the so-called Angel Of Death who performed horrifying experiments at Auschwitz. Now Olivierís character was facing the actual Mengele in the form of Peck, the latter in his only truly villainous role. The film had a mixed response both critically and commercially and was released in some countries in a slightly shorter version missing a few bits and pieces especially the final scene, ending the film in a happier light, while even today, a shot of an ear being bitten off is still missing from some versions including the UK one.

The Boys From Brazil adopts a breathless pace for its first half an hour or so, where it looks like Police Academyís Steve Guttenberg is actually the hero. Heís a brave journalist who thinks nothing about risking his life to get information, though heís not very bright, leaving the lights of his hotel room on despite knowing that people are after him. Crusty old Lieberman doesnít seem intereasted at first, heís busy trying to put a case against a German woman who murdered young girls in the World War concentration camps, but is soon drawn in when the voice at the end of the line is silenced forever. The film then becomes more leisurely, much of it consisting of Lieberman globetrotting and interviewing people, gradually working more and more out as he does, though there are some effectively staged death scenes, like a pushing from a Swiss dam which has a great Cold War spy movie feel to it. Shaffner doesnít really give the proceedings enough urgency in the final third, adopting for a more low-key approach, but in these days of huge climaxes one has to admire a film that, despite telling a large-scale story set in multiple locations, boils down to a confrontation between two old men in a little houseÖ.well, and some Dobermans. One part of the especially bloody finale has the two old codgers try to bite and tear each other apart and, far from being one of the worst fights in cinema history as some have claimed, itís actually entirely appropriate, because itís exactly how two elderly guys, who wouldnít have the ability to do cool things like martial arts moves, would fight, and you really get a sense of how these two arch-enemies truly and utterly hate each other and actually find it distasteful and painful to have to touch each other.

The script doesnít need to throw in extraneous action scenes and just relies on its performances and the gradual uncovering of more and more information. There are some clever shots in the film, like a multiple mirror image of a boy, which foreshadow later things though theyíre usually only noticeable in retrospect, and a really haunting sequence where Mengele visits the ruined maternity ward on his Paraguay compound. Mengeleís walking about and strange expressions [of pride? anxiety?] are intercut with quick shots of what actually went on many years ago, albeit still not giving everything away. We see quick images of women on beds, babies being injected with something, even some uncanny bits of striking weirdness like a nurse clapping her hands. The intense accompanying music is the icing on the cake for a really haunting scene that reeks of pure evil. As for the overall story, Iím going to stick to what I said earlier and not give everything away [just in case you decide to buy the DVD and not read the back cover!], but what was widely considered ludicrous at the time is actually now scarily believable with what scientists can do nowadays. In its own melodramatic way, The Boys From Brazil also has an ability to make the viewer think about ethical issues, right down to the final scene where Lieberman decides not to allow some seemingly justifiable killings, killings which many of us would probably agree with, to happen.

Olivier is quite wonderful in this film: yes, he overacts a little as he was prone to do in his later years, and his thick German accent sometimes makes him hard to understand, but he superbly combines weary vulnerability with steely determination. The real revelation is Peck, who may not sound quite as German as he should [and why are Nazis all speaking English in Paraguay anyway Ė surely they would either talk German or Paraguayan?], but is very very frightening. His makeup was based on a picture which was widely circulated for years in the belief that it showed a middle-aged Mengele, though it was actually of some poor South American who had the misfortune to be snapped by an overenthusiastic photographer. Mengele himself was much less impressive in his later years. Iíve actually often wondered why Mengele, who conducted some of the most horrifying medical experiments ever documented and was even suspected of continuing his Ďworkí in South America and this resulting in an area of Brazil having a very high birth rate of twin children and a substantial amount of the population looking Nordic, hasnít been the bogeyman of more films. Maybe the subject is still just too distasteful? Peck somehow makes us believe the evil of a person who can callously [in an especially disturbing moment, even if we donít see the operation] change the colour of a boyís eyes. Sadly Mason, playing the somewhat despondent voice of the Third Reich, visibly and aurally struggles with his accent and role.

A major part of the film is played by Jerry Goldsmithís very ominous scoring, right from his very clever main title music where a Viennese waltz gradually turns into a sinister march, musically illustrating how the beauty and sophistication of German and Austrian culture was swamped and perverted by the rise of Nazism. Though I feel it could have done with some more momentum in a few sections, I like the fact that The Boys From Brazil was made for the more patient viewer [as more films in the 70ís were], and it really is one of those films that is now more disturbing, timely and believable than when it first came out. Sometimes science catches up with science-fiction. So thereís been talk of remaking this, and I guess the science could be updated, but, even though the original isnít a classic, I canít say Iím too happy at the thought of, say, the younger characters getting more prominence or large-scale action scenes [no doubt incomprehensibly filmed], not to mention crappy CGI Dobermans. Iím sounding like crotchety old Lieberman at the beginning of The Boys From Brazil, just not wanting to know.

Rating: 7.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15353
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/1/2014 11:44:31 PM   
dannyfletch

Nice to hear you got some enjoyment from Lone Ranger as well. It actually seems to be doing pretty well on DVD right now so I think with time it may become more popular!
It's been years since I've seen Boys From Brazil and remember not being blown away by it at the time but do feel its one I need to revisit as I'm sure I will appreciate it more than I did when I was 15!

Just received my copy of Insidious 2 which I will watch at the weekend so here's hoping it doesn't disappoint!
Also could resist but order a copy of Big Trouble in Little China on Blu Ray as it's always been a firm favourite of mine and possibly my favourite John Carpenter movie!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 7/1/2014 11:47:33 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15354
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 8/1/2014 6:41:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

This evening's viewings...

Assault On Precinct 13 (1976) - classic John Carpenter. Love this movie and the recent Shout! Factory release is stunning, brilliant transfer.

The Lords Of Salem - Interesting one this. I first saw this over a year ago and I seem to recall rather liking it, loving the the visuals and rather disliking Mrs Zombie's performance (though this can be said for all of her performances...). Now, upon a second viewing, I have to say that it really is a rather impressive piece of genre cinema. Brilliant use of visuals and sound and the supporting cast around Mrs Zombie really carry the film. A great late-night treat.

Classic Carpenter and hoping to see it on Blu-Ray, but no sign of it yet, as for The Mist it's a superb b Movie with one of the hardest hitting endings in decades. As for LORDS OF SALEM, I finally have got it on DVD, sadly no Blu-Ray of this or Rob Zombies Halloween, but looking forward to watching Salem tonight or tomorrow night.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15355
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 8/1/2014 6:49:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Had a bit of a break over Christmas - feel like I haven't written a review for ages! So here's a shortish one to get back into the swing of things.

American Hustle is hardly a soothing film to watch Ė it's a wild, loud, flirtatious concoction of overwhelming performances, zippy direction and a sharp script Ė but it's a film that, if you're in the mood, will tick every outrageous box.

4/5

I fancy seeing this one in the Cinema but the wife is not keen, may have to go on my own, or wait for the Blu-Ray rental later in the year.
quote:

Dr Lenera
quote:

2/5

I found this a distinct improvement over the lame fourth part and felt it scored points for going down some different pathways, though I agree that there wasn't really anyone to care about and it got a little muddled.

This i'll give a miss as I enjoyed the first one on first viewing, but 2 and 3 where the last of this franchise I was willing to watch, and there where useless to shit.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15356
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 8/1/2014 7:01:40 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

I also didn't find it quite as bad as some though I still couldn't rate it higher than 5.5/10, so much didn't work for me and the changes in tone jarred, but as you say there certainly was fun to be had at times.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed The Lone Ranger too, I loved the back story, and the way it gently pointed out how those greedy bankers where involved in the genocide of the American Native Tribes, but kept the fun factor in the mix. Sometimes it worked sometimes not, but it was entertaining and Silver was one hell of a horse, though the comedy moments felt a little to stretched. 6/10.
quote:

major part of the film is played by Jerry Goldsmithís very ominous scoring, right from his very clever main title music where a Viennese waltz gradually turns into a sinister march, musically illustrating how the beauty and sophistication of German and Austrian culture was swamped and perverted by the rise of Nazism. Though I feel it could have done with some more momentum in a few sections, I like the fact that The Boys From Brazil was made for the more patient viewer [as more films in the 70ís were], and it really is one of those films that is now more disturbing, timely and believable than when it first came out. Sometimes science catches up with science-fiction. So thereís been talk of remaking this, and I guess the science could be updated, but, even though the original isnít a classic, I canít say Iím too happy at the thought of, say, the younger characters getting more prominence or large-scale action scenes [no doubt incomprehensibly filmed], not to mention crappy CGI Dobermans. Iím sounding like crotchety old Lieberman at the beginning of The Boys From Brazil, just not wanting to know.

Rating: 7.5/10

Great review Dr of a film that seems to have been forgotten by many, and for me a cult classic with it's mix of thriller drama and Sci/Fi, from a decent if forgotten book, that I loved.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15357
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 8/1/2014 10:40:17 PM   
dannyfletch

Glad to hear more appreciation for Lone Ranger and I mostly agree with your opinion!

Just received the Blu Ray of Big Trouble in Little China today and am very pleased to report that Arrow have done a gleaming job on the picture and sound transfer. The special effects hold up pretty well to this day and I still love it as much as I did when I was a kid! Also I forgot what a cool character Jack Burton is!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15358
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/1/2014 12:05:01 PM   
UTB

I had a ridiculous grin on my face throughout The Lone Ranger. Great fun.

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Classic Carpenter and hoping to see it on Blu-Ray, but no sign of it yet, as for The Mist it's a superb b Movie with one of the hardest hitting endings in decades. As for LORDS OF SALEM, I finally have got it on DVD, sadly no Blu-Ray of this or Rob Zombies Halloween, but looking forward to watching Salem tonight or tomorrow night.

Interested to know your thoughts on Salem, Evil Bill. I'm thinking of picking up the US blu-ray since the visuals are excellent and the disc supposedly has a terrific transfer.

Post #: 15359
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/1/2014 12:11:02 PM   
MonsterCat

I know no-one asked me about it but Lords of Salem is utter piffle. Kudos to Zombie for wanting to do something a bit more psychological and abstract but he pretty much fails to tell an interesting story or generate any tension or scares. And the ending is basically a confused jumble of random imagery.

I think he wanted to make his own Kubrick/Ken Russell/Argento style horror film. I admire the ambition and him wanting to break away from rednecks yelling profanities at each other, but it's still one big boring mess.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15360
Page:   <<   < prev  510 511 [512] 513 514   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  510 511 [512] 513 514   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI