Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  502 503 [504] 505 506   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 16/8/2013 1:16:27 PM   
Whistler

Bit of a belated (and short) review here; I'm backtracking through some of the films I didn't get around to reviewing on release. Bernie and Stuck In Love are high on the list...

'FRANCES HA'

Director: Noah Baumbach
Cast: Greta Gerwig, MIckey Sumner, Michael Esper, Adam Driver, Michael Zegen
Running time: 86 minutes
Certification: 15

Frances (Gerwig) is a free spirit with her head in the clouds. As she tries to pursue her dream to be a professional dancer, her personal life goes through the motions of break-ups with boyfriends, best friends and apartments.

Director Noah Baumach’s previous picture, the impressive Greenberg starring Ben Stiller, was a sweet, warm and touching story of a man lost in social purgatory. Much of that warmth is brought to his latest outing; enough to give you a satisfactory and believable journey through a young New Yorker’s tumultuous life, but somewhere along the way it leaks away through the thin insulation of Gerwig’s title character Frances, and we're left clutching for more layers.

There’s an immediate resemblance to Kevin Smith’s excellent Clerks; not just because it’s shot in black and white (or at least coloured black and white in post), but the way in which the characters react with one another. The relationships are written and performed with stark verisimilitude, the extremely down to earth, racy dialogue sounds genuine, particularly between Frances and her best friend Sophie, and the cute, quirky way in which they seem to glide through life, seemingly unphased by the constant feeling that they’re trapped in the moment and can’t find the door out plays out wonderfully. In these areas the film works and wins us over. It’s cute, loveable.

Yet it leaves you with a chill. Frances’ ditsy stubborness, while funny and a bit adorable at first, grows wearisome. There’s almost too much of it, too much head in the clouds and careless wonder that by the end we just want her to get real. Not everything can be a dream. She spends the entire film complaining (or worrying) about money and the lack of a proper apartment, but when she actually gets offered a decent job at her dance company, she refuses because a desk job is “below her”. I get that’s who her character is; it’s supposed to be pride, I think, mixed with a dab of naivety, but it just annoyed the pants off me.

Half of me loved the fun, quirky, extremely indie side of Frances Ha, the side that owes a debt to the likes of Clerks and Greenberg, but the other half was left feeling rather hollow. It always has good intentions, and there are laughs aplenty, but core sympathetic angle lies on the title character and I just didn’t find her very likeable. Warm in spirit, cold in resonance

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15091
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 16/8/2013 1:18:54 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Number 23 (2006) 1
It begins okay and is mildly intriguing. Then the silly suicide blonde sequence turns up (the first dialogue heavy fantasy scene) and you can see the movie go down the toilet in front of your very eyes. I think this was the scene where I gave up on the movie when I tried to watch it for the first time over five years ago. I wanted to continue so I powered through it but I just couldn't buy into the number obsession. The number 23 is not scary, or sinister, or unnerving in any way what so ever. The more they reached to contrive connections with the number the more silly it sounded. The fantasy scenes were stupid looking with needless stylistic decisions. Very cheap and under designed with pointless visual trickery. I could only snigger as they failed to get them to work. The movie was not working and it was becoming boring. I noticed I was only 40 minutes in with more than half still to go. I decided the film was a dud and so I gave up on it for the second time.

Evil Dead (2013) 7
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. I recently watched the three previous movies* and I wasn't that impressed by them. Surprisingly I think this is the best of them. It sustained its small five people in an isolated cabin plot well and didn't feel overlong. There was a nice level of sustained nastiness without become uncomfortable. It wasn't particularly scary. The jumps were mild and few. It looks good without being glossy. It probably wouldn't have done any harm if there was a bit of humour to it. It seems odd to see an Evil Dead movie without any comedy. It was a strong movie. I liked it. Also I didn't find I missed Bruce Campbell. The direction is technically very assured but it does miss the personality and distinctive quirks of Sam Raimi. There is something a little anonymous about the film.

* I have reviews for them but I'm not posting them as they will only piss everyone off.

You should slap a link to them in your sig (if you have a link to them). I'd happily read some more

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15092
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 16/8/2013 9:18:25 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, UK posters, this has been going on in another forum, but if you want to tune into Film4 tonight, you will get both BASKET CASE (1982) and INFERNO (1980), starting at 11.30 pm...

I've got the DVD of the latter (it's excellent), haven't seen the former since I was a teenager, very keen to see it again...

Just letting you know.

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15093
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 16/8/2013 10:18:13 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Film4 are showing horror movies over two weeks to celebrate FrightFest. Managed to see The Keep last night. Visually brilliant, and that score by Tangerine Dream was very hypnotic, but I had no idea what was going on the entire time. By all accounts, Michael Mann's original cut ran over 3 hours, it would be great to see a lot of the missing footage found as it would flesh out the story a lot better.

Watched The Fury tonight. Brian De Palma's thriller is fascinating, gripping, smart and mad in equal measure. Strong performances and a great score by John Williams keep me in suspense throughout, and that explosive finale was amazing, the way it was shot from different angles reminded me of The Omen.

Anyone going to watch Under the Dome on Monday?

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15094
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/8/2013 9:09:45 PM   
Mister Coe

Will deffo check out Under The Dome on Monday.  Loved the book. 

Also got a lot of love for The Fury.  great film, almost as good as Carrie.

Say what now?

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 15095
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/8/2013 11:53:29 PM   
Mister Coe

Just watched De Palma's BLOW OUT for the first time in many a year.

Bloody great, possibly my favourite film of his.  And what a gut-punch of an ending.

Say what now?

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15096
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/8/2013 9:24:28 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Film4 are showing horror movies over two weeks to celebrate FrightFest. Managed to see The Keep last night. Visually brilliant, and that score by Tangerine Dream was very hypnotic, but I had no idea what was going on the entire time. By all accounts, Michael Mann's original cut ran over 3 hours, it would be great to see a lot of the missing footage found as it would flesh out the story a lot better.

Watched The Fury tonight. Brian De Palma's thriller is fascinating, gripping, smart and mad in equal measure. Strong performances and a great score by John Williams keep me in suspense throughout, and that explosive finale was amazing, the way it was shot from different angles reminded me of The Omen.

I just watched BASKET CASE, recorded it the the other night... what an utterly bizarre film!

Totally unique.  I've only watched it once before, back in the 80's when me and a few friends would throw in 20p each to rent it for a quid... even back then, I knew it was a ridiculously low-budget flick... those stop-motion scenes of Belial?  Both laughable and brilliant at the same time.

But Frank H threw in so many great supporting characters... you really got the feel of sleazy New York in the 80's...

I'd take BASKET CASE over so many of the shitty serial films we've got going on nowadays, for all its faults... recorded the second one last night and number three is on tonight... I suspect I will be disappointed, but sod it, the original BASKET CASE is ace... 

Say what now?

Post #: 15097
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 8:26:44 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Swimming Pool (2002) 7 out of 10
For some this slow movie were nothing happens will be like watching paint dry. I found it to be stimulating and interesting. It doesn't really go anywhere and the ending is slightly fumbled in a who cares shrug sort of a way. I think it works well and I enjoyed it. It was mildly engrossing.

Number 23 (2006) 1
It begins okay and is mildly intriguing. Then the silly suicide blonde sequence turns up (the first dialogue heavy fantasy scene) and you can see the movie go down the toilet in front of your very eyes. I think this was the scene where I gave up on the movie when I tried to watch it for the first time over five years ago. I wanted to continue so I powered through it but I just couldn't buy into the number obsession. The number 23 is not scary, or sinister, or unnerving in any way what so ever. The more they reached to contrive connections with the number the more silly it sounded. The fantasy scenes were stupid looking with needless stylistic decisions. Very cheap and under designed with pointless visual trickery. I could only snigger as they failed to get them to work. The movie was not working and it was becoming boring. I noticed I was only 40 minutes in with more than half still to go. I decided the film was a dud and so I gave up on it for the second time.

Maniac (2013) 5
The filming of almost the whole movie from the killers point of view sounds like a weak gimmick. Amazingly it actually works and isn't laboured or in any way compromising to the film. Also the editing was normal so it wasn't endless unbroken takes. It really worked well. It also made the generic kills a lot, lot more creepy than they would have been otherwise. Unfortunately the plot is incredibly standard issue. Nothing odd or unusual happens. It plods through the uneventful (very low body count) and generic slasher storyline without bringing anything new to the genre. Due to the banal storyline the film was overall a bit so-so. It's much better made than usual, but the unimaginative script means it's all for not much.

Robot and Frank (2013) 7
A small, simple little film of no great ambition. It's good but there isn't a lot to it. The story isn't very detailed or dramatic, and it doesn't achieve the poignancy it feels like it was trying for. A very slight movie but very decent.

Gone (2011) 4
It's an interesting story idea but it's a standard straight to rental squandering of potential. The script is weak and doesn't know what to do with the story beyond the most obvious. It doesn't play up the horror element and instead feels more like a tepid thriller. The ending is logically questionable, silly and very anti-climactic. It's a watchable, inoffensive way to waste some time, but it could have been a lot better. Below average with a bad ending.

Django Unchained (2012) 6 (a harsh 6, very close to 7)
I liked it, and I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a talk-a-thon. A lot of dialogue could have been curbed without doing any harm. Apparently it cost one hundred million dollars to make, but way more than half of it is practically a stage play. I can't imagine why it cost so much as that kind of money is not on the screen. Tarantino really likes his long talking scenes. It's almost like he's deliberately trying to write the longest scenes possible. The film is quite funny and the action decent, but the story doesn't quite gel or work dramatically. There's something hollow and unconvincing about the dramatic element. It's also overlong. The acting is good but for a Tarantino film the casting seems kind of bland - where are all the weird curveball choices, or are they so obscure that I don't notice them? Bland is a good word to describe it. It lacks the inventive zest of his other films. This is almost staid and plodding in comparison. Perhaps the historical setting without modern pop culture to reference hemmed him in (the World War 2 setting of his previous film still gave him room for pop culture references). Also the music selected seemed a little uninspired in my opinion. It's a good film but flawed. His cameo is very bad.

Cloud Atlas (2012) 7
It's a good movie but it falls short of the epic masterpiece they were clearly aiming for. All the bits worked but I'm not sure if any of the stories were that interesting in and of themselves. Did the San Francisco section even have a climax? The connections between the stories felt very minor to the point of irrelevance. The actors playing multiple roles either worked so well you didn't notice (Halle Berry as the white woman married to the composer) or so poorly that it was distracting (the Asian actress playing the wife of the man on the ship who was being poisoned). I think the sci-fi sections (done by the Wachowskis') were a bit so-so, with the more modern days sections (all done by Tom Tykwer) being the more effective. I liked it but I didn't love it.

Run Lola Run (1998) 6
Okay film that isn't as hyperactive and MTV influenced as I expected it to be. The script was pretty banal and didn't really do much for comic or dramatic effect with the three alternative timelines. Watchable though rather middling little film of no great style or substance.

Repeaters (2010) 6
I love the idea of Groundhog Day style repeat movies. This starts a bit underpowered dramatically with little in the way of information being used and abused. It's not a clever script with lots of clockwork precision moments. Then it goes down a logic path to psychopathic behaviour that I wasn't that interested in. Although it has a few funny bits in it, for the most part It's curiously humourless in places. Also I don't follow the logic of the jumper from the damn - it throws up a bunch of questions. It was okay, and far from a failure but it wasn't half as good as it could have been.

Memento (2001) 8
A uniquely told story with an interesting ending. It's very good, although perhaps easier to admire than outright love.

Evil Dead (2013) 7
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. I recently watched the three previous movies* and I wasn't that impressed by them. Surprisingly I think this is the best of them. It sustained its small five people in an isolated cabin plot well and didn't feel overlong. There was a nice level of sustained nastiness without become uncomfortable. It wasn't particularly scary. The jumps were mild and few. It looks good without being glossy. It probably wouldn't have done any harm if there was a bit of humour to it. It seems odd to see an Evil Dead movie without any comedy. It was a strong movie. I liked it. Also I didn't find I missed Bruce Campbell. The direction is technically very assured but it does miss the personality and distinctive quirks of Sam Raimi. There is something a little anonymous about the film.

* I have reviews for them but I'm not posting them as they will only piss everyone off.

Post them, nothing wrong with alternative opinions if you can back them up,for example I've been saying Chris Nolan's Baman films are mediocre for ages

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15098
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 8:29:12 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

I just watched BASKET CASE, recorded it the the other night... what an utterly bizarre film!

Totally unique.  I've only watched it once before, back in the 80's when me and a few friends would throw in 20p each to rent it for a quid... even back then, I knew it was a ridiculously low-budget flick... those stop-motion scenes of Belial?  Both laughable and brilliant at the same time.

But Frank H threw in so many great supporting characters... you really got the feel of sleazy New York in the 80's...

I'd take BASKET CASE over so many of the shitty serial films we've got going on nowadays, for all its faults... recorded the second one last night and number three is on tonight... I suspect I will be disappointed, but sod it, the original BASKET CASE is ace... 

The sequels are fun but lack much of the nasty edge of the first movie I feel, they're done more for laughs really.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15099
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 8:30:44 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

(WARNING - CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST KICK-ASS)

Director: Jeff Wadlow
Cast: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jim Carrey, Morris Chestnut, Claudia Lee, Donald Faison, Clarke Duke, Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Running time: 103 minutes

As Mindy (Moretz) attempts to live a ‘normal’ life outside of her alter-ego Hit Girl at the behest of her new foster parent, Dave/Kick-Ass (Taylor-Johnson) joins a crime fighting circle led by the eccentric Colonel Stars and Stripes (Carrey) and attempts to clean up the city. Meanwhile, Red Mist (Mintz-Plasse), now going by the alternative super-villain The Motherf***er, forms a villain group of his own and wages war on Kick-Ass and his superhero chums.

The first Kick-Ass, directed by Layer Cake auteur Matthew Vaughn, was a huge success both commercially and critically. I think much of the power came from a lack of awareness of the source material (I hadn’t known of the comics beforehand) and therefore a lack expectation behind it, which gave it the chance to completely take audiences by surprise with its super-fun, ultra-violent, supremely entertaining wackiness. The change of director for the sequel, Never Back Down’s Jeff Wadlow, wasn’t exactly optimism-inducing news for fear that it would lose Vaughn’s thrill-paced touch, but here’s a case for always keeping your mind open. All I really wanted from this film was the same level of pure entertainment that the first one brought, and by golly I got it.

Just a whiff of controversy has surrounded the lead-up to the release of Kick-Ass 2, in Jim Carrey’s refusal to promote the film after the awful Sandy Hook massacre at the end of last year. He said he wasn’t ashamed of doing the film, but he couldn’t condone the violence in it after something like that, and has thus refused to do any press tours, interviews, or even tweet about it. I completely respect his decision, as we all should, but it’s also a bit of a shame because the film really is great. Of course It is very violent, much like the first one, but it’s always done in quite a comical tone. Perhaps that doesn’t exactly make it less effective or impacting, but it certainly makes it less hateful, which I think is important in a film like this. Anyway, that’s not even to mention how toned down it is compared to the blood-drenched comics – not that I’ve read any of them, but I’ve heard a thing or two – and whether violent or not, the action is always another level of fun. Getting to see Turk from Scrubs run around in a superhero costume with a spiked baseball bat is worth the admission price alone.

Carrey is a most welcome addition to the cast this time around, despite his post-wrap strike. He’s one of those few actors who can just make a film for me – at least when he’s doing comedy – whether it’s good or bad. From The Cable Guy to Liar, Liar to Ace Venture to Bruce Almighty, his facial expressions, tirelessness and unrelenting wackiness just gets me every time, and while he’s not in that mode in Kick-Ass 2, he still brings an extra level of humour and charm to the mix that only accentuates the fun. As before, he said he isn’t ashamed of the role, which I do hope is true because it’s a great and incredibly enjoyable performance. Donald Faison, too, while not given all that much to do, is fun to have around (too much to hope for a Zach Braff appearance in Kick-Ass 3?), yet once again it’s Moretz who steals the show. She won us all over as Hit Girl at a mere 13 years old, not least because of the effortlessness with which she delivered her sweary lines. While her cursing isn’t as shockingly funny this time around, what with being a few years older, her wit, charm, ass-kicking, and now, beauty, make for an irresistible concoction. She’s made Hit Girl a superstar; or perhaps Hit Girl has made her one.

The film does miss Nicolas Cage, there’s no getting away from that. Love him or hate him, he’s always an entertainer, but there are those rare roles of his that just exuberate – à la Big Daddy. The crazy, smiling picture on Hit Girl’s wall helps a little as a reminder, and Carrey fills the void to an extent, but there remains a vacant hole throughout screaming for the same chemistry that Hit Girl and Big Daddy shared. The core relationship is thus shifted to Hit Girl and Kick-Ass, or more accurately, Dave and Mindy. As Hit Girl becomes her own empowered young woman who Big Daddy would have been proud of, she remains at odds with her adolescence outside of the mask. Dave essentially becomes the Big Daddy to Hit Girl’s Mindy, as he reassures her during the arduous journey of fitting in in high school and teaches her to be her own person, in the same way that Big Daddy would have. It’s a warmly written relationship, and a sweet touch to the narrative.

The score by Henry Jackman and Matthew Margeson is much the same as before, and as fantastic as ever. The main theme has an overwhelming, almost transcendent, power to lift us up and make us grin, and while objectively it’s perhaps a little overused, I found it hard to see that as a problem because it’s such a joy to listen to. It’s an amalgamation of sorts, between original work and some of John Murphy’s wondrous chords on Danny Boyle’s Sunshine - which is not a bad OST to be using. The track that played during Big Daddy’s death in the first movie – which sadly doesn’t show up here – is a brilliant remix of ‘Surface Of The Sun’, one of my favourite tracks of any soundtrack ever.

Kick-Ass 2 ups the ante; where the first film saw Kick-Ass, Hit Girl and Big Daddy virtually going it alone against a mob boss, the sequel creates all out warfare between two armies, and the sheer ludicrousness of the previous finale’s jet pack and bazooka is swapped for the perhaps less hilarious and outrageous but far larger scale mayhem of a shark tank and warehouse brawl. It’s a ballsy, rip-roaring and immensely fun descent into uncompromisingly entertaining, erratically-controlled mayhem.

Nice review there, but I'm afraid I didn't like it nearly as much as you!!!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15100
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 8:37:11 AM   
Dr Lenera

Dave Lizewski is having a break from being Kick-Ass, but is being trained to be tougher by Hit-Girl, aka Mindy Macready. Then Mindy decides to retire from her Hit-Girl persona at the request of her new guardian, and bored Dave gets back into his superhero career, joining a team of fellow vigilantes called ‘Justice Forever’ and getting involved in a physical relationship with one of them, Night-Bitch. However, Chris d’Amico wants revenge on Kick-Ass for killing his dad. Unfortunately, his mother doesn’t seem to care, his bodyguard Javier just does as told, and his uncle Ralph just wants to take back control of the family business and have everyone lay low. Accidently killing his mother, he decides to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a super-villain known as The Mother ******, hiring his own gang in the process…….

Kick-Ass was a real breath of fresh air, a wonderfully anarchic, often down-to-earth yet still often outrageous take on the superhero genre that was sometimes insanely funny, but also had heart when it needed it. Though David Gillespie sings its praises elsewhere on this website, I felt that, whilst overall a success, it did have its problems. Too many situations and even lines came from other films, while the idea of an eleven year old girl swearing like a trouper, even if the actress is thirteen in real life [which hardly makes a difference really], has surely got to be questionable, even in this day and age where foul language is sadly the province of the very young almost as much as it is of the young. Nonetheless, with its often razor-sharp script which parodied conventions as well as providing believable characters, outstanding direction by Matthew Vaughn especially during the action scenes, and excellent performances, it was a film which all involved could be proud of, and it also proved that you don’t need a huge amount of money to make a good film of this type.

So onto Kick-Ass 2, and the first movie ended with the possibility of a sequel, while since then writer Mark Millar, whose graphic novel of the same name provided the basis for Kick-Ass, wrote not just Kick-Ass 2 but Hit-Girl, continuing the story of Mindy. Unfortunately, even if you bear those factors in mind, Kick-Ass 2, which is based on both of the sequel graphic novels, still feels like one of those sequels that are made because the first film made money, not because the people involved really wanted to continue the story and cared about the characters. It was the director of Kick-Ass Matthew Vaughn who picked Jeff Wadlow to write and direct this sequel, and I bet he regrets it now. It has little of the humour, charm, heart and idealism of the first, just mechanically rehashing most of its ‘beats’, often to a tedious level. In this film Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl both decide to take off their masks and leave being superheroes four or five times and it becomes laughable, but not in a good way. The characters fail to be rounded as they were before, while most of the comedy seems to revolve around people saying rude sexual insults to each other. The story is even more derivative and is further hampered by far too many scenes, even important ones, lasting just a few seconds, as if the film was hastily cut down. Actually, I think it seems unfinished.

After the first few minutes we have our first action scene, and straight-away it’s obvious that you’re not watching a film that is anywhere near the first one in quality. One of the best things about the original is that each action scene was different and even filmed in a different manner. Here, with one exception, all you get is a load of martial arts fights which is appallingly shot with the camera being waved around trying to keep up with what is happening and hyper-fast cutting. Here’s an idea for all those incompetent directors and cinematographers who feel it is ‘cool’ and ‘edgy’ to shoot action this way: how about pulling back, letting shots last more than a second and keeping the bloody camera still so we can see what the hell is going on? The Wolverine had that problem, and before that World War Z [though that film was bad in many other ways too], and so forth. What is especially sad about the employment of this style in Kick-Ass 2 is that the film contains one really good action sequence involving Hit-Girl assaulting a van that is shot properly. Silly but very exciting, it’s probably the highlight of the film.

Much of the first half alternates almost like clockwork between three plot lines. There’s Mindy trying to settle in at high school and clashing with the’ royalty’, many scenes reminiscent of Mean Girls but without that film’s wit. There’s Dave forming a band of superheroes in scenes which are occasionally amusing but were done much better in Mystery Men. Then there’s Chris becoming the first super-villain and also forming a group of like-minded folk, which leads to a vile bit of business where he begins to rape someone but can’t ‘get it up’. I’m assuming this scene is supposed to be funny. It would have been better if the rape had actually gone ahead than it being used as an attempt to get a laugh. The film also attempts to have its cake and eat it several times like having Chris give his hench-people racist names. I laughed a couple of times, but too much of the script consists of either would-be funny stuff which falls flat or dialogue which is almost the same being repeated from scene to scene. And there is one scene which is just totally bad on all levels. It involves ‘Mother Russia’ and some cops in cars, and the combination of bad staging, awful editing, inept special effects and pure stupidity results in truly atrocious filmmaking which is painful to watch. The effects are often amazingly shoddy throughout. We’re all used to crappy CGI blood, but why on earth was it thought okay to show people vomiting when you can see a gap between the mouth and the vomit?

Most of the time, Kick-Ass 2 is not as bad as all that. In fact, it’s generally average viewing that passes the time reasonably enough if you switch your brain off and don’t want to care about what is happening on-screen. It’s probably more brutal than the first film, though the violence usually has less impact. It’s actually been considerably toned down from the comics and almost as much happens off-screen as on it, which brings me to Jim Carrey. I wonder if his decision not to publicise Kick-Ass 2 was not so much because of a reaction to the Sandy Hook killings, but because he took one look at his performance and felt ashamed. I consider Carrey to be an excellent actor in both comic and serious roles, but he seems lost here, never getting a handle on his character. Thankfully almost every other major member of the cast does a very good job. Aaron Taylor-Johnson emits considerable sensitivity and looks like he’s done a considerable amount of working out since the last film to boot, while Chloe Grace Moretz seems to be getting better and better and I can’t wait for her take on Carrie White. The stunningly gorgeous Lindy Booth, whom I can’t understand isn’t a big star by now, puts in what is easily her most memorable film appearance so far.

Watching Kick-Ass 2, I developed an even better appreciation of Kick-Ass then I had before. It was a delicate balancing act and navigated some difficult waters, but somehow, for the most part, they pulled it off. Consequently, Kick-Ass 2 feels like the movie Kick-Ass could have been if things hadn’t gone so right. Even the soundtrack, which reuses some of the original score themes but includes far less other music, isn’t anywhere near as good. It partially entertains, but is sunk by laziness [example: why bring back two strong characters from the first film and do nothing with them?], callousness and just plain poor filmmaking. The spark is gone.

Rating: 4.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 19/8/2013 8:45:11 AM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15101
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 9:11:13 AM   
Whistler

We pretty much have opposing opinions about everything in it

But hey, that's the beauty of film ain't it? Nice review too.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15102
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 11:21:42 AM   
AxlReznor

Thought I'd get in on the Kick-Ass 2 reviewing... but I can't be bothered to find photos to accompany mine.

Three years have passed since the release of the original Kick-Ass, but three years is a long time when your USP was a foul-mouthed little girl. Said little girl has inevitably gotten older, but that doesn't stop Chloe Moretz' Mindy McCready (aka Hit Girl) from being the most interesting, well-rounded and best performed character in this sequel. Frustratingly, Hit Girl seems to be the only character that any time has passed for, as Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) and his group of friends, who were all 17 years old in the original movie are all still in high school.

That's one of a couple of problems Kick-Ass 2. The other big one being that this is the follow-up to one of the most fresh and original action/comedy movies in recent memory... quite frankly, the sequel was never going to be able to live up to that, because this time around we've seen it before. So to make up for this, new director Jeff Wadlow appears to have compensated with one of the most extreme cases of sequel escalation I've ever seen. There was plenty of dark humour in the original, but this time the humour is even more outrageous, and even darker... in some cases, they're pushing the boundaries of good taste, like when an attempted rape is brought to an abrupt end, but it could be argued that it wouldn't really be Kick-Ass without some of that. It's certainly less outright spiteful than the comic was. There are also plenty of dark moments that aren't played for laughs, one in particular brings out the best in Aaron Johnson, as you can really feel his pain through the screen.

Of course, with such a mixture of darkness and comedy, the tone is going to flip flop around a lot. I've seen this come up a lot as a negative in reviews, but ever since Bonnie & Clyde, I've enjoyed movies that can have you laughing one second, and having your jaw drop on the floor the next. It's a good effect.

The other way the sequel has escalated is of course, in the number of costumed characters on the screen, with Kick-Ass joining Jim Carrey's Colonel Stars And Stripes (he's great, by the way. I wish he was in it more), and his Justice Forever team - including Battle Guy, Night Bitch, Doctor Gravity, Insect Man and the grieving parents collectively known as Remembering Tommy - facing off against Chris D'Amico's rechristened Mother Fucker and his Toxic Mega Cunts (subtlety isn't his strong suit) - including Black Death, Genghis Carnage, The Tumor and the hulking Mother Russia. The escalation certainly works, with some entertaining brawls, particularly at the end, but the best action scenes definitely go to the two characters who actually know how to handle themselves in a fight - Hit Girl and Mother Russia.

Mindy spends most of the film retired as Hit Girl, trying to live a normal life at school and fit in with the self-professed "cool kids" at school, in a sub-plot that reminds of Mean Girls. It's actually a refreshing change of pace from all of the darkness elsewhere to check in with Mindy every now and then, even if the end of that subplot belongs in a post-American Pie teen movie more than it does in a Kick-Ass movie. But it's also clear that we're just waiting for Mindy to stop trying to fit in, embrace her destiny and start kicking ass again. Thankfully, when that time finally comes it doesn't disappoint, and both of her action scenes (one where she takes on a moving vanful of the Mother Fucker's thugs, and one where she faces off against Mother Russia) are undoubtedly the highlights of the film. Once again, the movie should have been called Hit Girl, because despite Dave now having some martial arts training, his fight against The Mother Fucker pales in comparison.

Oh, and the sub-plot with Todd would have been a lot more interesting if they hadn't recast him. I've never seen Augustus Prew in anything else before, but he was awful in this. A definite low-point of the film.

So to sum up, it doesn't have the privelege of being a surprise that the first movie had, so it never manages to recapture what made it so special, but it does make up for it with a lot of fun. Some people may be put off by some of its humour, but then Kick-Ass has definitely never been for everyone. (7/10)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15103
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/8/2013 8:47:39 PM   
Mister Coe

Tried to see Kick Ass 2 one afternoon last week, but the cinema queue was packed and practically snaking out the front doors (I'd forgotten it was the kiddies summer holidays) so I'll try and catch up with it in a couple of weeks...

It doesn't seem like it's doing too well in the US ($13.5 million and fourth place on opening weekend), although I'm not sure what the original budget was, so it might turn a profit...

Say what now?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 15104
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/8/2013 8:00:22 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Swimming Pool (2002) 7 out of 10
For some this slow movie were nothing happens will be like watching paint dry. I found it to be stimulating and interesting. It doesn't really go anywhere and the ending is slightly fumbled in a who cares shrug sort of a way. I think it works well and I enjoyed it. It was mildly engrossing.

Number 23 (2006) 1

Maniac (2013) 5
The filming of almost the whole movie from the killers point of view sounds like a weak gimmick. Amazingly it actually works and isn't laboured or in any way compromising to the film. Also the editing was normal so it wasn't endless unbroken takes. It really worked well. It also made the generic kills a lot, lot more creepy than they would have been otherwise. Unfortunately the plot is incredibly standard issue. Nothing odd or unusual happens. It plods through the uneventful (very low body count) and generic slasher storyline without bringing anything new to the genre. Due to the banal storyline the film was overall a bit so-so. It's much better made than usual, but the unimaginative script means it's all for not much.

Robot and Frank (2013) 7
A small, simple little film of no great ambition. It's good but there isn't a lot to it. The story isn't very detailed or dramatic, and it doesn't achieve the poignancy it feels like it was trying for. A very slight movie but very decent.

Gone (2011) 4
It's an interesting story idea but it's a standard straight to rental squandering of potential. The script is weak and doesn't know what to do with the story beyond the most obvious. It doesn't play up the horror element and instead feels more like a tepid thriller. The ending is logically questionable, silly and very anti-climactic. It's a watchable, inoffensive way to waste some time, but it could have been a lot better. Below average with a bad ending.

Django Unchained (2012) 6 (a harsh 6, very close to 7)
I liked it, and I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a talk-a-thon. A lot of dialogue could have been curbed without doing any harm. Apparently it cost one hundred million dollars to make, but way more than half of it is practically a stage play. I can't imagine why it cost so much as that kind of money is not on the screen. Tarantino really likes his long talking scenes. It's almost like he's deliberately trying to write the longest scenes possible. The film is quite funny and the action decent, but the story doesn't quite gel or work dramatically. There's something hollow and unconvincing about the dramatic element. It's also overlong. The acting is good but for a Tarantino film the casting seems kind of bland - where are all the weird curveball choices, or are they so obscure that I don't notice them? Bland is a good word to describe it. It lacks the inventive zest of his other films. This is almost staid and plodding in comparison. Perhaps the historical setting without modern pop culture to reference hemmed him in (the World War 2 setting of his previous film still gave him room for pop culture references). Also the music selected seemed a little uninspired in my opinion. It's a good film but flawed. His cameo is very bad.

Cloud Atlas (2012) 7
It's a good movie but it falls short of the epic masterpiece they were clearly aiming for. All the bits worked but I'm not sure if any of the stories were that interesting in and of themselves. Did the San Francisco section even have a climax? The connections between the stories felt very minor to the point of irrelevance. The actors playing multiple roles either worked so well you didn't notice (Halle Berry as the white woman married to the composer) or so poorly that it was distracting (the Asian actress playing the wife of the man on the ship who was being poisoned). I think the sci-fi sections (done by the Wachowskis') were a bit so-so, with the more modern days sections (all done by Tom Tykwer) being the more effective. I liked it but I didn't love it.

Run Lola Run (1998) 6
Okay film that isn't as hyperactive and MTV influenced as I expected it to be. The script was pretty banal and didn't really do much for comic or dramatic effect with the three alternative timelines. Watchable though rather middling little film of no great style or substance.

Repeaters (2010) 6
I love the idea of Groundhog Day style repeat movies. This starts a bit underpowered dramatically with little in the way of information being used and abused. It's not a clever script with lots of clockwork precision moments. Then it goes down a logic path to psychopathic behaviour that I wasn't that interested in. Although it has a few funny bits in it, for the most part It's curiously humourless in places. Also I don't follow the logic of the jumper from the damn - it throws up a bunch of questions. It was okay, and far from a failure but it wasn't half as good as it could have been.

Memento (2001) 8
A uniquely told story with an interesting ending. It's very good, although perhaps easier to admire than outright love.

Evil Dead (2013) 7

If LH feels he dislikes a film he goes for it and so should you, just as long as it fits this thread, and yes you'll piss some of us off if it's one of are all time favourites, or if you just flicked through the film without really watching it. And by the way I gave a couple of the films on your list an extra point, but still very close scoring to myself and the Dr, so don't get it in your head your reviews don't count.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15105
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/8/2013 8:25:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Enjoying the line up of Horror Films on Film4, just some are on that late I have to record them or just dig out ye old DVD, and THE KEEP is awesome but truly weird, with the film so badly hacked the story and plot are almost lost. Glad to see THE FURY getting so much love along with BLOW OUT. And also this cult classic:

BASKET CASE (1982)

Duane Bradley takes a motel room in New York Times Square motel carrying a large wicker basket. Inside the basket, as we soon discover, is his monstrously deformed Siamese twin brother, Belial. Belial looks like a twisted lump of fat and gristle, with two clawed arms and an eerily human-like face.It was, not so long ago, he was attached to his brother's side, until his father and some crooked surgeons decided to seperate the brothers against their will,and the two are trying to find and murder the doctors who separated them.

It reminds me so much of Tod Browning's  FREAKS (1932) with it's twisted revenge story line, and must have had been in this directors mind when he thought this one up. In this tale we have the deformed Belial and his brother Duane as anti-heros of sorts, getting revenge on the normal people that treated them so cruelly. A flashback to Duane's and Belial's separation and other events in the film actually made me feel sorry for both,(Duane because Belial won't let him have any time or romance for himself, and Belial because everyone is deathly afraid of him, and his only way of getting around is his brother)In a flash back-series we learn about his surgically removed Siamese twin brother Belial, and how the two are trying to find and murder the doctors who separated them at birth, but in the reception of one of those doctors, Duane gets his first ever date, with the receptionist, and wants to start a positive life without the burden of his brother. But when the freak twin escapes all hell breaks loose, and all hope of love or a normal life escapes his grasp too, and so he realises he has no way of breaking this bond with his twin, accept in death.

This leads to a brilliant eerie and shocking ending, and as you'd expect from a movie like this plenty of blood and gore, but with a very large dose of black humour, that so marked a lot of early 80's horror. Now it should also be noted that this lower quality grainy film stock does add to the seediness of the film and its bad-side-of-New York setting to give it a more creepy and realistic quality, like the original Maniac but may put some people off a horror film that is actually good, featuring an original premise and with decent acting, excellent story/plot. In fact a well directed low budget shocker, and a 80's cult classic, that looks like a David Lynch film with a dash of David Cronenberg for good me sure, in fact think of think The Brood or Eraserhead, it's that sort of film.7/10

Post #: 15106
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/8/2013 9:16:23 PM   
Mister Coe

I mentioned BASKET CASE in a previous post and just watched the two sequels back to back...

Number two had some amusing moments, but number three was just dreadful...

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15107
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/8/2013 9:35:46 AM   
Platter

I wrote a novel. It’s called This Cuckoo Island.

I’ve published it as a download on Amazon. The book will be free to download from today until Monday the 26th this month. You don’t need to have a Kindle as it can be read on your computer, on a mobile phone, on an iPad and probably other places as well. It is available worldwide, not just the UK.

Two of my previous novellas are also free for the same length of time. I couldn’t put a promotion on Music for a Parade so it’s 77p.

Enthusiasts of surrealist films by David Lynch (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive), Luis Buñuel (The Exterminating Angel, Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de Jour and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie) and Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre) should find a lot to enjoy in this horror novel.

‘So you legitimised murder?’

‘That’s one way of putting it.’

‘I want to kill people. I’ve some pond-life I don’t get along with working on the board of one of my companies. I would love for them all to die. Can you arrange that?’

‘I’m not a hit man. I got away with one murder under the protection of art. I don’t think my luck will stretch any further than that.’

‘Nonsense. The precedent has been set. Now it’s time to raise the bar by pushing up against it.’

‘I really think my career of evil is over. We sold the only copy for a stupid amount of money. It’s now just a legend, a cool story to tell people. Unless the buyer allows it to be seen again then it’s gone. Hopefully forever. I’m really not that proud of it.’

‘It was an epic achievement. I wish I had seen it before it disappeared. I placed a bid on it. Anonymously of course. I was outbid by twice the amount I was willing to pay. Crazy price. I doubt a single bidder had even seen the thing. One scandalous public screening. Brilliant marketing. Simply brilliant.’

‘Thank you. It’s always nice to get a compliment from someone who has as much as you have.’

‘Imagine if the winner watched the thing after spending all that money and they hated it. How could anything live up to the expectations of all those rumours? Is one little murder worth all that money?’

‘The way you’re wording it makes it sound like the person isn’t into it for the art, but for the thrill of watching a murder. Without the legal problems usually associated with such activity.’

‘Let’s not kid ourselves. You know the power of what you made. The sort of person who would want to own such a thing is a coward more into the crime than the art.’

‘I think I want to leave now.’

‘You haven’t heard my proposal.’

‘I’m not a hit man.’

‘I was willing to pay a lot for that film. After losing out to a higher bidder a thought occurred to me. If I was willing to pay a lot of money for the death of an anonymous person, what would I be willing to pay to see someone I hate die? I concluded I would pay a lot more for a movie of my own.’

‘An art commission to disguise a murder? Well it’s certainly a novel idea.’

‘I’m willing, in fact keen, to fund a new original production. I’ll roundup the unfortunates. Isolate them in the one place. Then you run around slashing and stabbing them. Then we release the murder spree as an art movie.’

‘The first feature length slasher movie with real murders? Is that the idea?’

‘Precisely. Are you interested?’

‘I don’t think I’ll be able to pass it off as art.’

‘Just be really pretentious. You’ve done it once before and it passed the art exam. So you can do it a second time, but on a bigger scale and with a real budget. Keep telling everyone it’s art and they’ll believe you.’

‘It will cost a lot.’

‘I’m capable of digging deep.’

‘I guess you’re not into this to turn a profit at the box office?’

‘My profit will be indirect. Sweet personal satisfaction at the annihilation of my staff and getting my company back. Every penny will be worth it. Any extra fame for being the financier and producer of the world’s most notorious movie is just a nice added bonus.’

‘I want to kill my own enemy. We could do it as a pre-credit sequence. Learn how to use the equipment and stuff.’

‘Who do you have in mind?’

‘The gallery owner I showed the film in. I sold the film to her for a fraction of what she later sold it for after the screening. She isn’t sharing the spoils fairly. That doesn’t sit right with me. She has to go.’

‘I’ll add her name to the list.’

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

Eyes Drift Back

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyes-Drift-Back-ebook/dp/B00CJT5BTA/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_t_1_4NZ5

Music for a Parade of Whores

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Parade-Whores-ebook/dp/B00BWFJ47M/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1363811234&sr=1-2

Barker Woo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6OQOWS/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15108
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/8/2013 6:18:21 PM   
Dr Lenera

At the Berlin office of a global advertising outfit, executive Christine Stanford has a twisted working relationship with her dedicated assistant Isabelle Jame,s showering her with affection while stabbing her in the back at every opportunity. They are also both sleeping with the same man. When Isabelle comes up with a successful advertisement for a Jeans brand, Christine takes credit for the idea, winning her a promotion to head of the company’s New York branch. Isabelle, following the advice of her smitten lesbian secretary Dani, leaks the ad online, where it goes viral and allows her to claim ownership of it. Denied her promotion, Christine immediately sets about gaining revenge….

Some people are already calling Passion a film for the ‘true’, or the ‘real’, Brian De Palma fan, as opposed to I suppose the casual one. I think a ‘true’ or ‘real’ fan is intended to be someone who prefers, for example, Body Double to Scarface, The Phantom Of The Paradise to Mission Impossible, Femme Fatale to The Untouchables, even Home Movies to Casualties Of War. Of course the distinction can become pretty blurred and there are also those movies of his which few on either side seem to like, like Mission To Mars and his last two films prior to Passion, The Black Dahlia and Redacted. You get what I mean though, the ‘true’ or ‘real’ fan tends to prefer the films De Palma makes more for himself rather than the box office, these films usually tending to be more stylised and off-beat. I think it’s fair to say that the director has gone off the boil somewhat of late, not quite so much as, for example Dario Argento, another once-great filmmaker who retains his passion [sorry] for making movies but just doesn’t seem to be any good at it anymore, but it does seem increasingly unlikely that he’ll make another really strong movie.

Passion doesn’t sound promising. For a start, it’s only the seventh film to have that title: surely they could have thought of a more original one?. It’s also a remake of a French film from 1990 entitled Love Crime, De Palma adapting the original movie himself, and English language remakes of non-English language films tend to be nowhere near as good as the originals, though Passion is virtually a European movie in its own right, having been made in Germany. Even in these days of the big blockbusters taking over more and more cinema screens in multiplexes and thereby edging more and more of the smaller films out, it’s a bit of a surprise to have a film starring two actresses who are both popular and very good bypass the cinemas and go straight to home release. A really sad indication of the times I think, unless of course the film in question is an utter disaster. Passion is certainly not that. It’s really quite an awkward, uneven film that, even though it tells the same story throughout, almost feels like two very different short films badly glued together, but those people were right: this is a film for the ‘true’ or ‘real’ De Palma fan. Beginning in 1984 with Body Double, De Palma has tended every now and again to make a picture which is unashamedly self-borrowing in nature, and if you adore him then that is more of a good thing than a bad thing. So count me as someone who considers it a good thing, and anyway you could almost say the same thing about much of Alfred Hitchcock’s work.

For just over half an hour though Passion is a little dull, not quite boring, but just coasting along. The relationship between executive who knows how to get everything she wants, and down-trodden but very talented assistant, plays out amidst typically stunning Berlin architecture, as cold and methodical as Christine herself, and Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace are excellent in their roles. McAdams is having a ball playing a real ‘bitch’ while Rapace, finally seeming totally comfortable in an English-speaking role, suggests very well that she may have some serious issues buried inside her calm exterior. But the director doesn’t seem very interested in the proceedings, taking his time with the story but somewhat rushing through what seem like a few key scenes, while you would be hard-pressed to identify it as a De Palma film at all from the virtual lack of style. It’s the sort of film that if you were watching on TV you may very well think: “naaah, this isn’t going anywhere” and give up on. But hang on in there……

because suddenly it not only gets very interesting but goes a little mad too. The story ramps up considerably and we get blackmail, obsession, murder and more besides, the score by De Palma’s old collaborator Pino Donaggio, which previously had mainly consisted of ‘source’ music of the ‘lounge’ kind, finally comes into its own, and the visual style ramps up too, with intense colour schemes [like Isabelle being constantly shot against dark green], Dutch angles, long takes with the camera often moving around the characters, and split-screen. When the screen divides in too and we combine two dancers in Claude Debussy’s Afternoon of the Faun ballet with Isabelle walking along outside the theatre, the gorgeous Debussy music blaring out, I was in De Palma heaven, and we later find out we are even being lied to about the timeline! Fantastic! The rug is pulled out from under our feet more and more, and finally, as composer Pino Donaggio’s score cheekily plays a slight varation on the penultimate cue ‘The Nightmare’ from his Dressed To Kill soundtrack, reaches heights of crazy delirium while combining elements of much of his previous work. Sisters, Raising Cain, Blow Out etc; the fan will recognise important elements from each all weaved together. There’s no doubt that you will have seen it all before, but you may not guess everything and be even puzzled by the ending, which is open to interpretation. I guess if you want everything to make sense it may seem that De Palma has let the story get away from him.

I haven’t seen Love Crime as yet, and chose not to see it prior to seeing Passion, so that for once I could approach Passion on its own and not constantly compare it to the other film. Apparently De Palma’s script follows the original film closely for the first half, then differs somewhat in the second, keeping the killer unseen, for example, during a murder, and changing substantially near the end. Said killing is the only scene which spills much blood and the very brief sex scenes are somewhat disappointing in a film called Passion, though that might have been meant ironically because the film overall feels very cold. While it’s obvious from at least half of the film that De Palma has still ‘got it’, I miss the naughty censor-baiting De Palma of the old days. I guess these days it’s harder to shock so he just doesn’t bother trying, but I feel the sexual aspect of the story, especially the lesbian side, would have benefitted from being less timid. De Palma is still fascinated by much the same things as he always has been though, like doubles, voyeurism, and dreams. Much like Argento, he has certain obsessions which he can’t prevent from spilling out onto the screen over and over again.

More than any previous film, De Palma is just trying to fool you with Passion, and have fun with it. He’s not bothered with mundane things like credibility; even some of the events in the duller first part are none-too-believable. Passion doesn’t take place in the real world; it takes place in De Palma world, where nothing is as it seems and now it seems you can’t even trust your own eyes. It’s a very misshapen work that gives the impression of being rushed a little. It could certainly do with a couple more thrills. Nonetheless, this ‘true’ or ‘real’ De Palma fan, after rather too much hesitation, ended up having a ball. It certainly isn’t Dressed To Kill, Obsession or even The Fury, but it will do.

Rating: 7/10

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15109
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/8/2013 12:06:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

At the Berlin office of a global advertising outfit, executive Christine Stanford has a twisted working relationship with her dedicated assistant Isabelle Jame,s showering her with affection while stabbing her in the back at every opportunity. They are also both sleeping with the same man. When Isabelle comes up with a successful advertisement for a Jeans brand, Christine takes credit for the idea, winning her a promotion to head of the company's New York branch. Isabelle, following the advice of her smitten lesbian secretary Dani, leaks the ad online, where it goes viral and allows her to claim ownership of it. Denied her promotion, Christine immediately sets about gaining revenge….

More than any previous film, De Palma is just trying to fool you with Passion, and have fun with it. He's not bothered with mundane things like credibility; even some of the events in the duller first part are none-too-believable. Passion doesn't take place in the real world; it takes place in De Palma world, where nothing is as it seems and now it seems you can't even trust your own eyes. It's a very misshapen work that gives the impression of being rushed a little. It could certainly do with a couple more thrills. Nonetheless, this 'true' or 'real' De Palma fan, after rather too much hesitation, ended up having a ball. It certainly isn't Dressed To Kill, Obsession or even The Fury, but it will do.

Rating: 7/10

Well Dr as you know I am a true fan of the real De Palma films and yet still love Scarface, Untouchables etc, which where his more commercial films, but I have been waiting so long for this sort of return to style. It is now on my must own list and that's without seeing it as I know we both love The Fury, Sisters, Dressed To Kill, Blowout etc, and I know from this review i'm going to be in De Palma heaven once again, by watching this.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15110
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/8/2013 3:32:07 PM   
Platter

I’ve added Passion to my rental list but I have very, very, very, very low expectations. It was released a few weeks ago and I’d never heard of it. It doesn’t even have a Blu-Ray version (as far as I can see).

It sounds a lot like Femme Fatale which was truly awful.

My novel:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15111
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/8/2013 11:13:33 PM   
Mister Coe

I love a lot of De Palma films, but after FF, I'm waiting until PASSION shows up for free on Netflix...

< Message edited by Mister Coe -- 24/8/2013 12:56:43 AM >

Say what now?

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 15112
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/8/2013 8:19:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I love a lot of De Palma films, but after FF, I'm waiting until PASSION shows up for free on Netflix...

Well while I wait on Passion, I got back to some cinema going, IE crazy Tuesday and what a film:
Elysium (2013)

In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the planet's crime and poverty, and they critically need the state-of-the-art medical care available on Elysium - but some in Elysium will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve their citizens' luxurious lifestyle. The only man with the chance bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission - one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces - but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well.

Now how do you follow a great Sci/Fi first film called District 9, well add a star cast, lots more money,115 million I heard, and make it more popcorn friendly, and you got yourself a summer blockbuster. Now there has been a mixed bag of reviews of this film, and I was not to sure if this was just going to be more action than sci/fi, overloaded with CGI and no plot, and the actors being no better than cardboard cut-outs. Well i'm glad to say I was well surprised as Neill Blomkamp cements his science-fiction credentials as a master sci/fi filmmaker with great visual talent, for as he did with District 9, South African filmmaker Blomkamp grounds this sci-fi thriller in present-day society. And like his first film he is expert at telling a story that resonates with a strong political social kick, the likes of which we haven't seen since the socially conscious SF of the 1970s, and that is where some may be turned off. It questions the divide between the rich and the poor, our handling of immigration, military power, our health care and so much more, in fact it feels like a warning of what is to come if we keep on down this road, where only the rich will have the better life, and will be able to leave this planet behind, populated and robed of it's natural resources.

Now don't worry to much about the message, for here we still have a Sci/Fi Action blockbuster, with lots of big guns, explosions, human-like robots, spacecraft and of course the big set piece space station of Elysium. The action set pieces are just as exciting as its predecessor, with superb CGI from the Weta Workshop, and really manages to capture all its budget on screen. Sore point though is excessive use of shaky cam, which was even used when the characters were simply walking to the action sequences, which for me will always be annoying. Another annoying factor is it's running time of only 109 minutes, which caused problems with the more emotional scenes, as they felt cut down, and so reduced the emotional impact that could have lifted this movie to a higher level. This also for me reduced the role of  Jodie Foster's character, as really didn't have much to work with, and yet when on screen she still impressed as a sort of villain, but was only there to move the plot along. But Matt Damon kept up his talent for giving his action men a heart, though his lead role in this is by no means one of his best performances, but then it's not brain surgery script wise. But once again this year in Sci/Fi it's the lead villain who over shadows them all, and he is Sharlto Copley, with a villain you will not forget,a provocative-sociopath with no regard in any shape or form for human life.

Overall it's the effects and direction that really shine here, as you'd expect from a summer blockbuster, but in the hands of Blomkamp it's so much more a superb action Sci/Fi with a heart. The stunning cinematography gives it an epic feel, even when the story flags at times, and I love the way the CGI effects blend in well with the environment of the real world and the locations he used. The production designers, and effects guys did a wonderful job, and should get ban Oscar for there work in this picture, as it is best Sci/Fi film of this year, though it has it's minor faults. But as I said it's the overall look of this film that wins, with Earth looking very gritty, the colour and tone more like Sir Scott's Prometheus, yet like Blade Runner very believable and lived-in. Then there's the space station Elysium which has this very sterile and futuristic look to it, very in keeping with what you would imagine yourself, and again like the spacecraft Prometheus. Earth could look like this with many decades of neglect and poverty, with everything's in decline and it's people in despair, while the rich on the other hand have every resource money could buy to them in their own little paradise in space. In the end it never out shines Neill Blomkamp's  District 9, so like Sir Scott's last sci/fi film, it's no classic, but it is entertaining, with a heart, and a message, which is lacking in most Sci/Fi blockbusters out there, and I will buy it on Blu-Ray, so i'm going to give it a great 8/10

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15113
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/8/2013 9:29:32 PM   
Whistler

Fine review there bill, though I felt less warmly towards it:

Director: Neill Blomkamp
Cast: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga, Diego Luna, William Fitchner
Running time: 109 minutes

By the end of the 21st century, Earth has been reduced to a diseased, overpopulated cesspit. While the poor struggle away on the ruined planet, the rich have moved up to an artificial haven named Elysium, where all disease and sickness has and can be eradicated at the flick of a button. After being exposed to a lethal dose of radiation, factory worker Max (Damon) must find a way up to Elysium if he has any hope of surviving.

Neill Blomkamp’s previous (and first feature) film, District 9, was a brilliant triumph in the science fiction genre. Playing out as an allegorical examination of social inequality, capitalism and freedom of speech, as well as an exciting, inspiring story of family and love, it was an entertaining and, I think, rather important addition to the genre – not to mention a bloody fantastic debut for the director. For his follow-up, Elysium, there was inevitably a certain amount of expectation for him to deliver on the same level, particularly so as it shares many of the themes and ideas of District 9. It’s another grand sci-fi with big ideas and even more examinations of real world issues like the class system and poverty, and it even looks and feels very similar, with the two films sharing a colour pallet and some earthy cinematography; Los Angeles in Elysium is essentially the Prawn favela in District 9. In fewer words, Elysium has all the makings to be a groundbreaking piece of cinema, it’s just a question of whether those pieces fit together.

The opening sequence gives us a little back story on the reasons behind the creation of Elysium (which is nicely told through unassuming superimposed titles rather than a vain voice-over from the main character, which so many other films would be tempted to do), and sets up something seemingly quite special. The gorgeous images of kids running through a dusty Los Angeles at sunset, looking up longingly to Elysium, to sweeping shots of Earth from space and then Elysium itself, paired with the ethereal soundtrack, sort of just melts you into the film. Just two minutes in and I was considering where it might fit in my top films of the year. It was that quick to win me over – so why am I not lapping it with praise right now?

Because too soon it descends into generic sci-fi territory. After that opening sequence nothing feels special or unique. The beauty all but vanishes. There’s nothing to set it apart from all the others, it sort of just dilutes into yet another entertaining but unmemorable blockbuster. I was hoping for something a bit profound and inspiring, for something that lifted us up and asked a load of questions; because, let’s face it, sci-fi is at its best when it’s asking questions. You should be leaving the cinema trying to figure things out. For whatever problems Oblivion had (and it did), at least it left us pondering a host of questions. It wasn’t all clear-cut, we had to think a little and interpret it for ourselves. I walked out of Elysium without a second thought in my head.

That’s not to say it isn’t generally entertaining. Blomkamp knows what he’s doing, and he knows how to pace a film to hold the audience’s attention. In general it’s well written, with a plot that draws you in sufficiently and characters we can invest in (although I have a feeling that we care about the under-written lead more because it’s Matt Damon rather than the because the character himself is particularly interesting). We do care about what happens, and it doesn’t overstay its welcome, but if you’re looking for adrenalin-boosting action sequences you’re in the wrong place. Two words: shaky cam. Goddamn shaky cam. It’s everywhere; when two characters fight they keep ending up in different positions but we have no idea how they got there because the camera’s just all over the place, and sometimes it’s even just a tracking shot of someone walking and the camera’s flying up and down. What do these people think the steadicam was invented for? Throwing the camera around does not evoke the sense of urgency, it evokes the sense of a headache.

Sharlto Copley, re-teaming with Blomkamp after taking the lead in District 9, is freaking brilliant. There’s no other way to describe it. Playing Kruger, a gruff, cruel, psychotic sleeper agent at the will of Jodie Foster’s upper-class bitch Delacourt (who is surprisingly a bit rubbish, but we’ll get to that), he seems so out of place but so perfect for the role at the same time. As he runs around spouting off some wonderfully malicious lines in his delicate South African tones, we can’t help but be reminded of the bad guys in Lethal Weapon 2 who at every turn tried so hard to sound menacing but couldn’t quite pull it off, like bunnies with claws. We can’t help but love it. Copley is actually a fantastic actor, and even though I found much of his work in Elysium funny when I don’t think it was supposed to be, I found it funny with the best possible intentions. I wouldn’t want to see Kruger any other way.

On the subject of Jodie Foster, I’m a fan of hers but I didn’t buy into this performance for a second. For a start it looks like much of her dialogue has been re-recorded in post and badly dubbed over, and there’s just a lack of authenticity. I don’t know if it’s her putting on a strange accent or just simply failing to fully embrace the role, but something didn’t click.

It might look like I completely hated the film because I’ve focused primarily on the weaker aspects, but just because they generally take president doesn’t mean there aren’t good things to be found. I enjoyed much of it – I really did – but it was passive enjoyment. Nothing lingered, and, as I’ve said, it doesn’t only not ask enough questions, but it doesn’t ask any questions at all. Elysium is, overall, a decent but flawed film.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 28/8/2013 9:33:26 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15114
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/8/2013 11:57:59 AM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Elysium (2013)

In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the planet's crime and poverty, and they critically need the state-of-the-art medical care available on Elysium - but some in Elysium will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve their citizens' luxurious lifestyle. The only man with the chance bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission - one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces - but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well.

Now how do you follow a great Sci/Fi first film called District 9, well add a star cast, lots more money,115 million I heard, and make it more popcorn friendly, and you got yourself a summer blockbuster. Now there has been a mixed bag of reviews of this film, and I was not to sure if this was just going to be more action than sci/fi, overloaded with CGI and no plot, and the actors being no better than cardboard cut-outs. Well i'm glad to say I was well surprised as Neill Blomkamp cements his science-fiction credentials as a master sci/fi filmmaker with great visual talent, for as he did with District 9, South African filmmaker Blomkamp grounds this sci-fi thriller in present-day society. And like his first film he is expert at telling a story that resonates with a strong political social kick, the likes of which we haven't seen since the socially conscious SF of the 1970s, and that is where some may be turned off. It questions the divide between the rich and the poor, our handling of immigration, military power, our health care and so much more, in fact it feels like a warning of what is to come if we keep on down this road, where only the rich will have the better life, and will be able to leave this planet behind, populated and robed of it's natural resources.

Now don't worry to much about the message, for here we still have a Sci/Fi Action blockbuster, with lots of big guns, explosions, human-like robots, spacecraft and of course the big set piece space station of Elysium. The action set pieces are just as exciting as its predecessor, with superb CGI from the Weta Workshop, and really manages to capture all its budget on screen. Sore point though is excessive use of shaky cam, which was even used when the characters were simply walking to the action sequences, which for me will always be annoying. Another annoying factor is it's running time of only 109 minutes, which caused problems with the more emotional scenes, as they felt cut down, and so reduced the emotional impact that could have lifted this movie to a higher level. This also for me reduced the role of  Jodie Foster's character, as really didn't have much to work with, and yet when on screen she still impressed as a sort of villain, but was only there to move the plot along. But Matt Damon kept up his talent for giving his action men a heart, though his lead role in this is by no means one of his best performances, but then it's not brain surgery script wise. But once again this year in Sci/Fi it's the lead villain who over shadows them all, and he is Sharlto Copley, with a villain you will not forget,a provocative-sociopath with no regard in any shape or form for human life.

Overall it's the effects and direction that really shine here, as you'd expect from a summer blockbuster, but in the hands of Blomkamp it's so much more a superb action Sci/Fi with a heart. The stunning cinematography gives it an epic feel, even when the story flags at times, and I love the way the CGI effects blend in well with the environment of the real world and the locations he used. The production designers, and effects guys did a wonderful job, and should get ban Oscar for there work in this picture, as it is best Sci/Fi film of this year, though it has it's minor faults. But as I said it's the overall look of this film that wins, with Earth looking very gritty, the colour and tone more like Sir Scott's Prometheus, yet like Blade Runner very believable and lived-in. Then there's the space station Elysium which has this very sterile and futuristic look to it, very in keeping with what you would imagine yourself, and again like the spacecraft Prometheus. Earth could look like this with many decades of neglect and poverty, with everything's in decline and it's people in despair, while the rich on the other hand have every resource money could buy to them in their own little paradise in space. In the end it never out shines Neill Blomkamp's  District 9, so like Sir Scott's last sci/fi film, it's no classic, but it is entertaining, with a heart, and a message, which is lacking in most Sci/Fi blockbusters out there, and I will buy it on Blu-Ray, so i'm going to give it a great 8/10

Seen this on Bank Holiday Monday. Visually amazing, and had the right balance of action and story. Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley were excellent. Neill Blomkamp is definitely going places as a filmmaker, he has shown a lot of promise with this and District 9. I can't wait to see what he does next.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15115
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/8/2013 7:19:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Elysium (2013)

Seen this on Bank Holiday Monday. Visually amazing, and had the right balance of action and story. Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley were excellent. Neill Blomkamp is definitely going places as a filmmaker, he has shown a lot of promise with this and District 9. I can't wait to see what he does next.

Same here I hope he sticks to Sci/Fi, we need guys like this to give us some gritty Sci/Fi, even if it come's with a sugar coated popcorn friendly coating. Though I do hope he gives us an 18 cert Sci/Fi at some point, where the gloves are off and he kicks some real ass, along with a dash of controversy, for he has come close, he has it in him to shake the Tree.

Post #: 15116
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/8/2013 8:27:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

Not much from me atm ,as I'm taking a break from HCF.......

Anyway, I enjoyed Elysium. Except for the shakycam and the godawful Zimmer/Batman rip-off score, it was a good mixture of sci-fi of both the entertaining and the thought provoking kind. Paul Verhoeven meets Paul Greengrass!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15117
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/8/2013 11:35:02 PM   
UTB

Mrs UTB is away this weekend so naturally I've been watching the stuff she wouldn't want to...

First up in a Jennifer Lynch double was Surveillance, which I saw a couple of years ago and enjoyed very much. Hard to talk about it much without spoiling the end, suffice to say there are some terrific performances from Bill Pullman and Julia Ormond (who has become a stone cold fox...) that need to be seen more than once to appreciate the little intricacies and nuances early on.
There's also a great supporting cast and a lot of black humour, given the gristly and dirty subject and setting. Speaking of setting, there is some fantastic cinematography which looks amazing on Blu Ray. Highly recommend it.

Next up was Chained, which took me very much by surprise by not being anything like what I thought it would be like (I knew the plot but not that detailed). I thought this was going to be a film that followed Rabbit (the boy, kidnapped and chained inside a house) being terrified of Vincent D'Onofrio's serial rapist/murderer Bob and whilst it is like this at first, quickly moves into something more than that. Its a tough watch (probably not for those in this thread) but D'Onofrio and Eamon Farren (who plays Rabbit) give such commanding performances it is never anything less than compelling.

Bob begins to show Rabbit more and more compassion in as much that he wants Rabbit to start to learn the ways of the world, albeit though Bob's fucked up vision of it. I didn't expect Bob to say much, but him talking to Rabbit and showing compassion makes it all the more weirder to watch, but again, I was glued to it.

Now off to re-watch Evil Dead (2013). Toodles

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15118
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/8/2013 12:14:44 PM   
losthighway

Long time, no speak. Sadly I haven't had chance to watch very much recently so I haven't really got anything to say other than I've got the following films I still want to see!

LOVELACE
YOU'RE NEXT
ELYSIUM
KICK ASS 2

I've also got the following through the post...

EVIL DEAD (2013) BR
DERANGED BR
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (S1-5)

Hoping to see some of the top list this week...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15119
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/8/2013 8:18:51 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Seen You're Next today. Believe the hype, it's excellent, a very smart twist on the home invasion horror movie. Twisted, demented, gripping, gory and downright funny, with a score that belongs in a Lucio Fulci 80s video nasty. Honestly, just close you're eyes and youll know what I'm talking about! It's a bit slow at the start as the characters are introduced, but once the bloodshed starts, the film moves at a fast pace. One of the best scary movies of recent times.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 15120
Page:   <<   < prev  502 503 [504] 505 506   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  502 503 [504] 505 506   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI