Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 12:53:58 AM   
Gothzilla

I recently rewatched Dont Look Now and was surprised at how slow paced it was. In some places it was a bit too arty for its own good and in my mind doesnt stand up that well to repeated viewing. One of the few times Ive disagreed with you Evil Bill.
Now, on another note. Does anyone know if there is a Region 2 version of a film called Hardware. Its a post apocalyptic movie set in a desert. It is very cool, quite gory and has a blinding soundtrack ( by The Mission I think ) Im even fairly sure that the Missions front man Wayne Hussey is in it somewhere.
I would love to see it again as I used to have it on video years back. I leant it to someone who buggered off with it.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 121
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 9:28:20 AM   
dj vivace

No idea, i'm sure i've heard of this one but never seen it. Thanx for the info there on Mulholland Drive, it was in my list to buy but i've had a look at the special features and not sure if i'll pay full price for it as i already have it. The main reason to get it is for the special features and they don't look that great (although i could sit and watch an interview with Naomi Watts all day)

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 122
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 9:33:13 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

William Friedkin a wonderful director,and i'll put BUG on my list of must see movies,as i'm a big fan if him.I also agree that EXORCIST 3 was the better movie,it just had more depth to it for me,and Blatty did a fine Directing job of his own book Legion.I bought the Region 1 dvd of it which is great sound and picture.A true chiller of a movie with some strange scenes,like the dreamscape of the cop walking through the cathtral/train station to heaven.Reminds me of that other great chiller with lots of far out scenes DO'NT LOOK NOW,which delt with the loss of a child,with a supernatural twist?

Don't Look Now i keep looking at to rent but never end up picking it up for some reason. Exorcist 3 is another dvd which angers me a lot as it's only available in the Exorcist boxset, and having already owning the 'Version You've Never Seen' of the original (minus the 'Fear of God' documentary ) and having no interest in owning The Heretic or any of the awful prequels, i dint want to pay all that money just to get Exorcist 3. But then again i suppose its worth it because i think the boxset has the 'Fear of God' documentary. Decisions, decisions

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 123
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 12:26:05 PM   
Kira

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla
I recently rewatched Dont Look Now and was surprised at how slow paced it was. In some places it was a bit too arty for its own good and in my mind doesnt stand up that well to repeated viewing. One of the few times Ive disagreed with you Evil Bill.

awww I love Sutherland and J. Christie in Don't look now and have watched it many times. A dark moody Hitchcockesque film located in Venice just can't be fast paced. I think this is a really scary movie when you watch it for the first time. Aren't they doing a remake? This would be a tragedy.

EDIT: removed a spoiler

oops .. Wayne Hussey in a movie called Hardware? Never heard of that and dont know anything about the movie.

< Message edited by Kira -- 16/2/2007 12:40:57 PM >

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 124
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 1:14:26 PM   
evil bill

Remmber watching HARDWARE on VHS,years ago about 1990/91, but it seems to have vanished.It had agreat sound track and Lemmy from Motorhead was in it too,but i've never seen it on dvd yet.Must do a search.
Hope they do'nt remake DO'NT LOOK NOW it's a classic chiller which should be left alone.
Dj Vivace get your self a mulit region DVD player,it'll pay in the long run,movies like EXORCIST 3 are on region 1 and the Italian horror movies are all uncut.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 125
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/2/2007 11:00:47 PM   
dj vivace

Yeh i must, i keep looking for sites but havent found anything yet. I know its normally a simple case of pressing open on the remote then a few other buttons and its done. Apparently the bedroom dvd player comes muli-region so it says on Amazon, but i havent any multi region dvds to test it on. The other dvd player is a recordable, they're both panasonic. Any recommendations for a site?

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 126
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/2/2007 10:59:25 AM   
evil bill

I've a panasonic recordable dvd player it's mulit region,also a high end cambridge audio player,i bought it cause i though the panasonic was'nt mulit region DA!.If you want a site for mulit region discs try www.playusa.com it's got EXORCIST 3 for 5.99Ninth Configuration for 7.99.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 127
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/2/2007 4:33:42 PM   
dj vivace

Cool, thanx for the advice. I'll try and get that sorted.
Received Masters Of Horror series 1 vol 2 yesterday, finally!! Anyway, watched Takeshi Miike's 'Imprint' to see what all the fuss is about. Firstly, Billy Drago needs to go back to acting school, fucking awful!! Secondly its in english, which takes away the impact of Miike's style, and i don't want to think for one minute he would sell out and make a film in english to have more 'appeal' but thats the impression i get. Correct me if i'm wrong please.
Apart from my 2 gripes, it is actually pretty good, typical Miike. Its slow (even for a 1 hour film), it builds and your just not quite sure to what, it's full of very strange people and places. His directing and especially his use of colour is amazing, in fact the use of colour has to be seen to be believed, some of it is quite breathtaking! I won't say too much about the plot aprt from its about Billy Drago going to a small isalnd in search of his long lost 'prostitiute' love. Enough said the better. It does turn bitterly nasty (well what do you expect) and it truley deserves its 18 rating. It's good, however, it finishes leaving the viewer (well me and the missus) totally confused. So, if someone else has seen it, a little explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 128
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/2/2007 5:58:47 PM   
evil bill

While on the subject of weird horror ever see Andy Warhol's FRANKENSTEN,it's the weridest,wackout version you'll ever see.Just to give you a taste Baron Frankensten while creating his monster(which turns out to be gay) sticks his togger in the stonach of the monster where he's made an cut into the flesh,and relives himself?

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 129
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 2:11:55 PM   
Kira

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

Received Masters Of Horror series 1 vol 2 yesterday, finally!! Anyway, watched Takeshi Miike's 'Imprint' to see what all the fuss is about. Firstly, Billy Drago needs to go back to acting school, fucking awful!! Secondly its in english, which takes away the impact of Miike's style, and i don't want to think for one minute he would sell out and make a film in english to have more 'appeal' but thats the impression i get. Correct me if i'm wrong please.
Apart from my 2 gripes, it is actually pretty good, typical Miike. Its slow (even for a 1 hour film), it builds and your just not quite sure to what, it's full of very strange people and places. His directing and especially his use of colour is amazing, in fact the use of colour has to be seen to be believed, some of it is quite breathtaking! I won't say too much about the plot aprt from its about Billy Drago going to a small isalnd in search of his long lost 'prostitiute' love. Enough said the better. It does turn bitterly nasty (well what do you expect) and it truley deserves its 18 rating. It's good, however, it finishes leaving the viewer (well me and the missus) totally confused. So, if someone else has seen it, a little explanation would be greatly appreciated.

huh, in English? Well the rest sounds pretteh much like good ol' Miike though. But I guess  the pure Japanese days are over. Soon we'll be able to see another Miike film in English. He is doing the first Japanese Western
. And Tarantino has apparently a role in it.

quote:

While on the subject of weird horror ever see Andy Warhol's FRANKENSTEN,it's the weridest,wackout version you'll ever see.Just to give you a taste Baron Frankensten while creating his monster(which turns out to be gay) sticks his togger in the stonach of the monster where he's made an cut into the flesh,and relives himself?

OH.MY.GAWD.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 130
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 5:04:12 PM   
evil bill

Tarantino in a Japenese westren that could be fun.I'm realy looking forward to GRINDHOUSE and i hope they do'nt spoil it by spliting it into two parts like KILL BILL.The trailers for it look amazing,and the whole idea of it playing as a double bill of werid 70's/80's style Horror sounds fun,

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 131
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:07:23 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kira

quote:

huh, in English? Well the rest sounds pretteh much like good ol' Miike though. But I guess  the pure Japanese days are over. Soon we'll be able to see another Miike film in English. He is doing the first Japanese Western
. And Tarantino has apparently a role in it.

quote:

OH.MY.GAWD.

Miike doing a western?!!! My god!! I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like but i reckon it'll be like no other western ever made, and will probably make no sense. Now how about that, a confusing, head fuck western! Cool!!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 132
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:08:57 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Tarantino in a Japenese westren that could be fun.I'm realy looking forward to GRINDHOUSE and i hope they do'nt spoil it by spliting it into two parts like KILL BILL.The trailers for it look amazing,and the whole idea of it playing as a double bill of werid 70's/80's style Horror sounds fun,

I'm so looking forward to these 2 films, 4 hours in the cinema for the price of 1 as far as i know! Could be THE movie event of the year?

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 133
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:33:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

I'm so looking forward to these 2 films, 4 hours in the cinema for the price of 1 as far as i know! Could be THE movie event of the year?

It's looking good for us lovers of strange with INLAND EMPIRE and THE THIRD MOTHER also to look forward too.There's talk of a remake of the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW in the works.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 134
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:36:59 PM   
dj vivace

Is the Third Mother going to the cinema then? I'd love to see an Argento film in the cinema

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 135
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:37:22 PM   
EVILSPEAK

A personal favorite of mine!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 136
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/2/2007 7:41:00 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: EVILSPEAK

No matter what anyone says YOU'VE GOT TASTE!!!!!!!!

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 137
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/2/2007 9:13:03 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

Looks rather interesting and i would like to know more, please

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 138
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/2/2007 6:15:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

It's a true Japense Shocker made in the late 80s,a master class in SPLATTER movie gore,right over the top and only for gore hounds.This makes BRAINDEAD,DAWN OF THE DEAD and many other Splatter movies look tameThere's a bunch of glamour models off on a photo shoot,who end up with the men being murdered in super nasty ways by a Monster.That's about all i can remmber about this one.It also reminds me of  XTRO another monster movie which for over the top gore and story needs and deserves a mention.It has an shocking scene of a woman giving birth to a fully growen man,and it's one for the hall of infamous movie scenes.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 139
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/2/2007 6:30:25 PM   
EVILSPEAK

quote:

quote:

Damn right i have taste (although it's not to everybody's cut of char) This is pretty good also................

Links to both below should you fancy buying them (region 1 of course, BBFC don't let this shit through)............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entrails-Virgin-REGION-1-NTSC/dp/B0002CX15M/sr=1-39/qid=1171996070/ref=sr_1_39/203-9692848-5719169?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entrails-Beautiful-Woman-REGION-NTSC/dp/B0002CX15W/sr=1-38/qid=1171996070/ref=sr_1_38/203-9692848-5719169?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 140
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 8:49:15 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a true Japense Shocker made in the late 80s,a master class in SPLATTER movie gore,right over the top and only for gore hounds.This makes BRAINDEAD,DAWN OF THE DEAD and many other Splatter movies look tameThere's a bunch of glamour models off on a photo shoot,who end up with the men being murdered in super nasty ways by a Monster.That's about all i can remmber about this one.It also reminds me of  XTRO another monster movie which for over the top gore and story needs and deserves a mention.It has an shocking scene of a woman giving birth to a fully growen man,and it's one for the hall of infamous movie scenes.

Cheers for the info Evil Bill, both sound good. **PLOT SPOILER?** I'm sure at the end of Takeshi Miike's Gozu a woman gives birth to a fully grown man too, i put question mark about it being a plot spoiler because it's a Miike film, and i don't think any hint at the plot would make it make anymore sense. Great film tho, and another to add to this thread

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 141
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 8:50:09 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn right i have taste (although it's not to everybody's cut of char) This is pretty good also................

Links to both below should you fancy buying them (region 1 of course, BBFC don't let this shit through)............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entrails-Virgin-REGION-1-NTSC/dp/B0002CX15M/sr=1-39/qid=1171996070/ref=sr_1_39/203-9692848-5719169?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entrails-Beautiful-Woman-REGION-NTSC/dp/B0002CX15W/sr=1-38/qid=1171996070/ref=sr_1_38/203-9692848-5719169?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Thankyou very much for the info there, will get onto to Amazon payday i think

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to EVILSPEAK)
Post #: 142
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 4:41:30 PM   
Kira

Sounds like exploitation squared for a very very selective audience, I won't watch it, sorry guys .

What about asian dark comedy? Do you know Sabu? I think he
has some cruel sense of humor and is a wonderful director. I can recommend Monday and Drive. It's better to watch these two unspoiled ... 

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 143
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 7:08:12 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Sounds like exploitation squared for a very very selective audience, I won't watch it, sorry guys .

has some cruel sense of humor and is a wonderful director. I can recommend Monday and Drive. It's better to watch these two unspoiled ... 

Hav'nt seen any Asian Dark comedy except the outragious Horror and Kung Fu'that i've got my hands on.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 144
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 7:40:32 PM   
EVILSPEAK

Checkout this film also (it's region 0 so no need for a multi-region player for this one). It's very sick and nasty (google for more info, i really can't be arsed to type it all out).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ebola-Syndrome-Uncut-Region-Netherlands/dp/B000N1XQ7A/sr=1-2/qid=1172086808/ref=sr_1_2/203-7164125-4467900?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 145
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/2/2007 9:46:51 PM   
Kira

quote:

quote:

Hav'nt seen any Asian Dark comedy except the outragious Horror and Kung Fu'that i've got my hands on.

then go watch Drive and Monday. They kick some royal ass, very dry humour, absurd plots.  

Another fine example of nasty asian humour is this cat fight flick:
2LDK by Yukihiko Tsutsumi. It has been released as "Duel Project" together with Ryuhei Kitamura's very nice samurai/demon film Aragami.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 146
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 22/2/2007 7:10:03 PM   
evil bill

Must search out these movies Kira.And while on the subject of Asian movies we've i guess all at some point watched the Japanese MANGA animation movies.Has anyone seen the brillant GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES by Isao Takahata,it's a disturbing tale of the horrors of war,and follows two children orphaned after there village is distroyed and there parents killed.It shows it from the view point of the innocent children as hell breaks loose around them as they flee forthere lives.An excellent piece of Animation,and a moving story,realy worth watching,but not recomended for children.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 147
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2007 7:23:13 PM   
dj vivace

Anyone seen this ?
Very odd little film

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 148
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2007 7:44:11 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Anyone seen this ?
Very odd little film

No! ca'nt say i have though it looks filmilar to me?
Was watching RASING ARIZONA at the weekend forgot how weird it was in places.Like the Bizarre bounty hunter biker,real fun and freaky,but what do you expect when watching a Coen Brothers movie.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 149
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2007 9:34:09 PM   
Pritchard_540

I picked this up for 3.99 at Morrisons after meaning to watch it for years.  Absolutely fantastic movie and weird as hell.  I particularly liked how the film had a comic edge throughout until the final act when there's definitely a dark element brought into the film.  Not wanting to give anything away (potential spoiler) was I the only one a little disturbed by the ending when you realise the fate of the young girl?

You think I got kicked out because of just the aquarium? Nah, it was the handjob. And you know what else? It was worth it.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI