Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/4/2013 10:15:17 AM   
dannyfletch

Yes, it certainly wouldn't have been anything like the Peter Jackson masterpiece but it certainly would've been interesting. As for a sex scene between Frodo and Galadriel, that sounds so wrong on so many levels but with Boorman behind the camera anything was a possibility!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14911
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 15/4/2013 6:49:04 PM   
Dr Lenera

Following an alien invasion 60 years earlier which nearly destroyed the Earth, former Marine commander Jack Harper is drone mechanic 49, one of the last few humans stationed on the planet. Jack lives in a tower standing thousands of feet above the Earth where he and his colleague Victoria are part of an operation to clean up the remaining forces of the invasion and extract the planet's remaining resources. They maintain contact with civilization via a video link with their commander, Sally, and are due to join the rest of humanity on Saturn's moon Titan in two weeks. Jack suffers from recurring dreams and flashbacks, featuring images of New York before the invasion and an unknown female. When he rescues a female stranger from a crashed spaceship, he recognises her as the woman in his flashbacks....

The poster for this film advertises it as from the director of Tron: Legacy and the producers of Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Now the Apes film was decent but the other one was a dull disappointment that didn’t come anyway to fulfilling its potential, even visually, which brings me to emphasising how odd it is that some reviewers for Oblivion have said that, in mentioning that the film is good visually, Joseph Kosinsky is good at creating unique worlds. Well, he didn’t succeed with Tron: Legacy at all. With this new film, he has certainly made a film that looks reasonable and shows a knack for staging some scenes well, but that’s about it. Oblivion, which he also co-wrote, is otherwise little more than a patchwork movie, a film made up almost entirely of plot elements, scenes and images from other science-fiction films. There’s Moon, Wall-E, Total Recall, Planet Of The Apes, The Matrix, Star Wars, Vanilla Sky, Twelve Monkeys, Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Silent Running, and many others. Some of these are merely recalled in passing, others are blatantly copied in large doses.

Now you could say that most films are informed by previous works; horror especially seems to recycle things. But Oblivion is little else. It barely has an identity of its own. I might have enjoyed the film if it had been just good fun, but instead it treats its story in a very serious, even solemn manner, making the copying stick out even more. Apparently one of the executives at Universal said: “It's one of the most beautiful scripts we’ve ever come across”. Obviously he hadn’t seen any science-fiction movies of the last few decades. The screenplay for this film is pathetic, constantly stealing from this and that but failing to give its characters any real dimension. I didn’t give a damn about them, so that by the time Tom Cruise’s character parts with Olga Kurylenko’s to go on a mission impossible and he says to her: "keep dreaming about me", or something like that [I was so un-engaged and even bored by much of this film I don’t think I paid attention as much as I normally do], I just wanted them to get on with it so the end credits would come up.

It starts reasonably, with Cruise narrating the back-story of how this future Earth came to be, and early images of the barren, bleak wasteland with remnants of famous American buildings are quite striking. In fact, the film really does look good at times, with some of the scenes set in and just outside Jack and Victoria’s sky-high tower abode boasting some very stylish lighting and that great image of the shattered Moon in the sky. Cinematographer Claudio Miranda has an eye for good shots and uses aerial views well to help give the proceedings a sense of scope, while I will also say that Kosinksi is reasonably good with action; at least you can see what’s going on, an increasing rarity these days. He just can’t write to save his life, and is pretty rubbish at creating tension too, but I’m getting ahead of myself, and the first half an hour or so of Oblivion, detailing the existence that Jack and Victoria lead, isn’t bad. The pace is quite slow but in a good way, allowing some atmosphere reminiscent of many 70’s science-fiction films, the kind that were made before Star Wars came along and made things fun but also dumbed things down [and I do like Star Wars, but I’m not sure that it was entirely beneficial for screen science-fiction], to develop. Then Jack encounters his girl who fell to earth, soon after that Morgan Freeman turns playing Morgan Freeman, and the whole film goes down the toilet.

There are some okay action scenes of people battling robots and each other, plus quite a good space ship chase through a canyon even if you won’t be able to not think of Star Wars. The design of some of this stuff is good, with spaceships and robots looking quite rough and hastily created but perhaps more realistic than the sleeker things you often see in other films, though the aliens look just like Predators at first. The special effects get the job done too; the CGI may be extensive, but some of the things really do look like models. But the film is constantly ruined by its awful, rehashed plotting. The twists, where you’re supposed to go “wow, I never saw that coming”, and turns come thick and fast, but are never given time to sink in. A lengthy scene where Freeman tells us some revelatory background was ruined for me because I couldn’t understand what the hell he was saying, possibly because of bad sound mixing, possibly not. This meant that I didn’t understand some of the scenes that followed and took a while to work some things out. The romantic side of the story is basically copied from two movies, even to the point of almost using a line from one of them, and needed more elaboration to work even slightly on an emotional level.

All this tedium is constantly backed up by the dreadful music score by Anthony Gonzales, M.8.3. and Joseph Trapenes. Aside from a rather cool bit when an electric guitar kicks in, a better example of the awful state of major motion picture film music at the moment would be harder to find. Not just produced on machines but seemingly written by them, it’s a mixture of semi-techno [and may I say right here that I do appreciate a great deal of electronic music] and Hans Zimmer’s horrible Batman scoring, with three quarters of the score taken up with repeating a Zimmer or John Powell-like rhythmic pattern over and over again. Whatever happened to attempting to musically evoke an environment or scene? Or actually writing tunes? Of course good work is being done musically in Hollywood and it would be disrespectful to some composers to not say that, but it really does seem more and more that the first thing a major studio thinks of concerning music for a new film is that awful Media Ventures sound. Think of Tron:Legacy: the exciting prospect of having Daft Punk do the score turned into total disappointment when they turned out a typical dreary Media Ventures-style soundtrack with very little music in their own style.

Tom Cruise is just Tom Cruise in this film, giving the same performance he often gives and not really making an effort. I want to make excuses for Olga Kurylenko, first because she is totally gorgeous, and second because she has already had the misfortune of starring in the Worst Bond Film Ever, but she seems lost in her role; then again, it’s so dreadfully written I think Meryl Streep would have had trouble with it. Andrea Riseborough does better as the other woman in Jack’s life though it’s a more interesting role. Technically it's quite impresive, but for the most part, Oblivion is pretty lousy, an astonishingly lazy piece of cinematic idiocy masquerading as something intelligent and thought-provoking. Kosinsky may be directing a remake of The Black Hole next. I’m not totally decided on him as a director, but God, I hope he doesn’t write the thing.

[rating: 4/10]

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14912
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 15/4/2013 10:29:43 PM   
dannyfletch

Now I can't stand Tom Cruise but do want to see this. I know what you mean about Tron Legacy not being the most engaging of films but I actually really enjoyed it for the action, style and visuals even if their wasn't much soul.
I think I'll give this a watch but am in no rush and I have a funny feeling that I'm going to have the same response as I did to Tron Legacy.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14913
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/4/2013 7:31:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Tom Cruise is just Tom Cruise in this film, giving the same performance he often gives and not really making an effort. I want to make excuses for Olga Kurylenko, first because she is totally gorgeous, and second because she has already had the misfortune of starring in the Worst Bond Film Ever, but she seems lost in her role; then again, it's so dreadfully written I think Meryl Streep would have had trouble with it. Andrea Riseborough does better as the other woman in Jack's life though it's a more interesting role. Technically it's quite impresive, but for the most part, Oblivion is pretty lousy, an astonishingly lazy piece of cinematic idiocy masquerading as something intelligent and thought-provoking. Kosinsky may be directing a remake of The Black Hole next. I'm not totally decided on him as a director, but God, I hope he doesn't write the thing.

[rating: 4/10]

Now to be honest your review has just informed me on what I already guessed about this film, going by it's trailer and other clips I've seen, plus the general story outline. I was hoping though it was not going to be as bad as I expected, but your review is right on the money, I made the mistake of taking a chance with this film against my better feelings, and judgement, luckily the wife paid the money to see this. First i found it exciting at the start but as it rolled on, it became so annoying how it stole from every great Sci/Fi film and turned what could of been a decent film into tripe. This has to fall at the feet of both the director and writers, along with the moron producers, all seem out to make a film that would cash in on the new wave of Sci/Fi that has hit our screens, but with out imagination or heart. This is a soulless mess of a film that looks great due to excellent CGI, but unlike films like Marvels The Avengers where it's out to just thrill with a decent plot, or District 9 or Moon with there deep plots and well written story's that have a message, this has noting. It plays to many nods and winks, plus complete steals to be taken as a serous Sci/Fi film, and not enough fantasy to get the Stars Wars fun factor. It wins on the wow factor effects wise, but then if your like me and found TRON to be dull, or SKYLINE to be a teen idol mess of a film, then this will make you scream at handing out good money for a bad film.3/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14914
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/4/2013 7:41:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

SPOILERS!

Rating: 7.5/10

I actually found this to be a disappointment, it's rather boring, and doesn't seem to go anywhere. The ending is, frankly, too ridiculous, i found it hard to take seriously.

Speaking of Wes Craven, I watched My Soul to Take last night. Without a doubt, his worst film. The story is interesting, but the film is completely flat and unconvincing, and the killer is just dreadful. A complete mess, it doesn't know whether it's a teen drama or supernatural horror at times.

Also watched a European curio called Castle of the Living Dead, which features Christopher Lee as a mad scientist who kills unsuspecting tourists and embalms them so that they will stay youthful in death. Lee is charismatic as ever, but the film is just too OTT and dull, really lacklustre.

MY SOUL TO TAKE was such a disappointment,it made the Rami horror look awesome IE Drag Me To Hell, talking of which who's going to catch EVIL DEAD remake, it's getting decent reviews.
Love Castle Of The Living Dead in that so bad it's good way, yes it's naff in so many ways but I found it fun to watch with a beer or too of course.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14915
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/4/2013 2:12:38 AM   
dannyfletch

Ok, so as a lifelong fan of the Evil Dead, I've just seen the new version. Question is, is it any good? Answer is, pretty good but there's something missing and as much as the special effects are ok I just missed the gritty low budget feel that the original has. Yes, there's tons more gore and there are a few pretty decent scenes but one of the major problems is it takes itself way too seriously! The original had it bang on, we had our characters going on a nice break away to a cabin in the woods to get thrown into a horrifying ordeal of demonic possession after unwittingly reading out the pages of the book of the dead. That was it, without much background info on any of the characters, a basic and simple set up perfectly executed with a great lead in the form of Bruce Campbell as Ash. What we have here is, for some reason the makers have tried to give it an emotional edge and try far too hard to shock with a series of gruesome effects that mostly fail to shock. Also what's missing is any form of humour for a bit of light relief, a proper good strong lead and any characters you really care about. Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it and its a bad film because its not. It does have a few effective moments including a pretty gruesome version of a razor blade smile, quite a gripping basement scene, a pretty cool hand possession scene and quite a decent finale. Overall it just felt there was a couple of missing ingredients that would've made a good remake into an excellent one and at times this tries too hard to reinvent the wheel! 6.5/10 is my rating.

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 21/4/2013 10:15:07 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14916
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/4/2013 7:46:30 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Went to see Evil Dead this afternoon, and was pleasantly surprised. Very gory and intense, but it is a solidly crafted piece of modern horror. It doesn't feel like a remake, more a continuation. The sound design is incredible, and throughout, you can tell that director Fede Alvarez loves the original so much, as there are nice, subtle homages. However, at times, you are aware that Alvarez is trying to be too careful not to screw up.

Definitely worth a watch, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but it has to be, in my opinion, one of the best horror remakes of recent times.

PS: Stay until after the end credits!

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 20/4/2013 7:51:32 PM >

Post #: 14917
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/4/2013 8:04:01 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

These are the type of films that I usually enjoy watching, so it will be quite hard to pick my favourites.

1) Eraserhead
2) Lost Highway
3) Braindead aka Dead Alive
4) Blue Velvet
5) Ichi the Killer
6) Cannibal Holocaust
7) American Psycho
8) American Mary
9) Irreversible
10) The Beyond

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 21/4/2013 8:05:49 AM >

Post #: 14918
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/4/2013 10:14:23 AM   
dannyfletch

Yes, it was entertaining but I wouldn't say it was in any way groundbreaking or one of the best recent horrors. It looked good, had some brutal and effective gore but wasn't a patch on the original and failed to scare me or anyone in the cinema. That said I will happily watch again and it has set it up nicely for more to come. Lets hope the next instalment will be more effective with the scares and not take itself as seriously.

Post #: 14919
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/4/2013 6:58:53 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Yes, it was entertaining but I wouldn't say it was in any way groundbreaking or one of the best recent horrors. It looked good, had some brutal and effective gore but wasn't a patch on the original and failed to scare me or anyone in the cinema. That said I will happily watch again and it has set it up nicely for more to come. Lets hope the next instalment will be more effective with the scares and not take itself as seriously.

Mixed bag of folk who think it's worth seeing and others saying wait for the rental DVD/Blu-Ray, but I think i'll give it a try tomorrow night, as all seem to agree on one thing the gore factor is high, but just don't expect to much in the scare department.

Post #: 14920
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/4/2013 7:02:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamthehorrorfan

These are the type of films that I usually enjoy watching, so it will be quite hard to pick my favourites.

1) Eraserhead
2) Lost Highway
3) Braindead aka Dead Alive
4) Blue Velvet
5) Ichi the Killer
6) Cannibal Holocaust
7) American Psycho
8) American Mary
9) Irreversible
10) The Beyond

Some great weird and wonderful classic cult horror in that list, and I see David Lynch gets three in your top ten, and a couple of Italian nasty's too.

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 14921
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/4/2013 11:02:31 PM   
dannyfletch

Yeah mate, it's worth seeing and I will probably get the blu ray when it comes out as I will happily watch it again. I was just a bit underwhelmed but that's because I love the original first 2 movies so much!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14922
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/4/2013 10:59:32 AM   
losthighway

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER!!!

EVIL DEAD

Saw it at the weekend. It's nasty, it's very gory and the two main actors do a decent job, although the other characters are a bit by numbers. There are loads of nods to the original films (including how the demon is killed at the very end!) and even some horror classics, most notably The Exorcist! The film is NOT a remake, at best it can be described as another story within the Evil Dead universe and at a massive push it may even be considered a sequel considering the appearance of a certain motor car, although its appearance may be more of a nod as it doesn't fit in with the original films storyline. There's been some criticism that the film needs to get a sense of humour, however those critics can't have been listening close enough because there's a least 3 moments where the characters make comments which are clearly jet black humour. Having said that, I do think the desire to try and homage the original films towards the end (grave digging/defibrillator scenes) actually jar tonally, mainly because the film has played straight upto those points.

Campbell has called the film a reboot and another two films are planned before the inevitable Army of Darkness 2 arrives (ho hum ) but I can't say I'm too fussed about seeing another story in this 'new' franchise. The film ends well enough, plus I left the cinema just wanting to revisit ED and ED2. It's a good film and definitely worth catching on the big screen, it will grace my BR collection eventually but it's not a patch on the original two films. Oh and yes, do stay till the very end of the credits for a 'Groovy' finale!

Overall: 4/5

P.S. I bought the Steelbook edition of Evil Dead and the Evil Dead 2 Special Edition BRs this week. Both are highly recommended!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 23/4/2013 11:26:24 AM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 14923
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/4/2013 6:35:42 AM   
calyx

I think this one deserves to be here

Possession (1981)
Andrzej Zulawski

A young woman left her family for an unspecified reason. The husband determines to find out the truth and starts following his wife. At first, he suspects that a man is involved. But gradually, he finds out more and more strange behaviors and bizarre incidents that indicate something more than a possessed love affair.

Highly recommended, if you can find it.

< Message edited by calyx -- 24/4/2013 7:07:12 AM >

>> Film Release Tracker << Constantly being updated.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14924
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/4/2013 2:50:03 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: calyx

Possession (1981)
Andrzej Zulawski

A young woman left her family for an unspecified reason. The husband determines to find out the truth and starts following his wife. At first, he suspects that a man is involved. But gradually, he finds out more and more strange behaviors and bizarre incidents that indicate something more than a possessed love affair.

It's available on R2 DVD through Second Sight. I've had my eye on it for a long while now as never seen it but as it always seems to be retailing for around the £11-12 mark i've held off. But it's definitely a film I want to see.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to calyx)
Post #: 14925
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/4/2013 8:05:19 PM   
dannyfletch

Yes I was listening, however the comments were unfunny ones that were cringe worthy rather than amusing and most of the film tried and failed miserably to have an emotional edge ( I really couldn't give a f**k about Mia's drug problem!). It was enjoyable though and I will purchase a watch again, I'm just actually looking forward to seeing Ash make a proper return now!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 24/4/2013 8:10:09 PM >

Post #: 14926
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/4/2013 9:28:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: calyx

Possession (1981)
Andrzej Zulawski

OHHH yes excellent choice it was a big favourite on this thread so here's ye old short review.

Possession (1981)

During a secretive business trip away, Mark learns that his wife Anna is growing restless in what he believed was their happy marriage. Upon his return home, he learns that she wants a divorce. They both go through a series of different emotions related to their situation, Mark's which is generally obsessive about learning why Anna, who he still loves, wants the divorce, and Anna's which is generally increasingly histrionic in getting away from Mark. Caught in the middle is their infant son Bob, who Mark uses as a gage to Anna's mental state. Anna states that her want for the divorce is not because of another man, but Mark finds out that Anna has a lover named Heinrich. In the meantime, Mark also meets Bob's teacher Helen, who looks exactly like Anna, but is her polar opposite in temperament. Starting a relationship with Helen lessens his obsession with Anna. But as Mark and Anna's encounters together reach more emotional and violent levels, Mark, with help of a private investigative firm, learns that Anna's love life is not all that it appears. Anna's true obsession has a somewhat gruesome process and nothing will stop her from reaching her end goal.

This French cult horror film directed by Polish born director Andrzej ¯u³awski was his first French/English film, which came after he made two films in his homeland, the best being Diabel (1975) which was banned by the Polish authorities. Made in Polish, "Diabel" was essentially cut off from it's only possible audience. He took a trip to France, ended up making a film and then returned to his homeland, once again he worked on yet another film for two years which the authorities did not allow him to finish, after this he basically lived and worked successfully in France. Possession is the first film he made immediately following the 2nd incident in Poland. I read an interview where he talked about how his personal identity was in crisis at the time due to his divorce and being exiled from his homeland. This is a film better described as 3 films in 1, as the first part is more a drama centring around a couple who's marriage is falling apart, and all the emotional turmoil this leads too, and misleads you into thinking it's just another odd but tame film. But as their emotional state escalates, it becomes a horror film with some scenes taking place only in the psyche of the wife as we are put into a surreal world of her having an sordid affair with a demonic creature which has possessed her . The last part is an action film, driving at a frenzied pace, even more so during the chase sequences and adds to the mayhem and out of this world feeling this film has. 

The actors performances are up there with there best roles with Isabelle Adjani both intensely beautiful and spectacularly crazy in her role of the wife,her scene in the subway station, is so intense with her wordless cries, and looks physically and emotional one of the most powerful scenes I've seen a woman do, it's also immensely sad.Sam Neill plays the husband who is driven to a different insanity through his paranoia and despair and has to one of his best roles, take the 'going mad in a hotel room' scene in the beginning, he is so intense and scary. Add to this a slimy blob type creature,razor blades and plenty of violence, plus some totally off the wall images, and you have a film your going to either love or hate, as it explores what love can do to your head when it falls apart.8/10

(in reply to calyx)
Post #: 14927
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/4/2013 9:33:52 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER!!!

EVIL DEAD

Saw it at the weekend. It's nasty, it's very gory and the two main actors do a decent job, although the other characters are a bit by numbers. There are loads of nods to the original films (including how the demon is killed at the very end!) and even some horror classics, most notably The Exorcist! The film is NOT a remake, at best it can be described as another story within the Evil Dead universe and at a massive push it may even be considered a sequel considering the appearance of a certain motor car, although its appearance may be more of a nod as it doesn't fit in with the original films storyline. There's been some criticism that the film needs to get a sense of humour, however those critics can't have been listening close enough because there's a least 3 moments where the characters make comments which are clearly jet black humour. Having said that, I do think the desire to try and homage the original films towards the end (grave digging/defibrillator scenes) actually jar tonally, mainly because the film has played straight upto those points.

Campbell has called the film a reboot and another two films are planned before the inevitable Army of Darkness 2 arrives (ho hum ) but I can't say I'm too fussed about seeing another story in this 'new' franchise. The film ends well enough, plus I left the cinema just wanting to revisit ED and ED2. It's a good film and definitely worth catching on the big screen, it will grace my BR collection eventually but it's not a patch on the original two films. Oh and yes, do stay till the very end of the credits for a 'Groovy' finale!

Overall: 4/5

P.S. I bought the Steelbook edition of Evil Dead and the Evil Dead 2 Special Edition BRs this week. Both are highly recommended!

4/5 now I agree with this score, i'll get a review up tomorrow as i'm a bit busy tonight. But I did enjoy this gore fest it will be added to Evil Dead 1&2 as I also agree it's more an extension of that franchise.

Post #: 14928
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 25/4/2013 7:21:04 PM   
Dr Lenera

Evil Dead...hmmm...I thought it was certainly one of the better horror remakes of late, and it was great to have practical effects and no holding back on the gore...but I felt it had that Platimum Dunes look and feel, I didn't give a shit about the characters, and it just wasn't scary to me, despite all the constant loud noise and Dutch angles. I'd give it 6.5/10, maybe 7, as in the end I did enjoy it.

Bill, you checked out the Argento thread lately?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14929
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 26/4/2013 2:47:44 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Evil Dead...hmmm...I thought it was certainly one of the better horror remakes of late, and it was great to have practical effects and no holding back on the gore...but I felt it had that Platimum Dunes look and feel, I didn't give a shit about the characters, and it just wasn't scary to me, despite all the constant loud noise and Dutch angles. I'd give it 6.5/10, maybe 7, as in the end I did enjoy it.

Bill, you checked out the Argento thread lately?

7/10 is about right, I've still to get my head round doing a write up about it, been just bogged down with a sick cat, and kids not to good too but noting serious.
Visiting the thread right now.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14930
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 26/4/2013 10:23:47 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Just watched The Lords of Salem. Highly recommended guys. You'd never think it was directed by Rob Zombie after his previous efforts. It's a wonderfully imaginative, surreal and ambitious piece of cinema with brilliant visuals and striking imagery, which, at times, reminded me of Ken Russell's The Devils. The cast are also very good, especially veteran actress Judy Geeson, known to Hammer fans for her performance in the psychological thriller, Fear in the Night.

Quite possibly Zombie's best film, we need more horror movies like this, no one takes risks anymore.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14931
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/4/2013 4:33:42 PM   
classics_are_best

has anyone ever saw solarbabies its a weird movie one from my childhood lol

Post #: 14932
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/4/2013 8:56:53 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Just watched The Lords of Salem. Highly recommended guys. You'd never think it was directed by Rob Zombie after his previous efforts. It's a wonderfully imaginative, surreal and ambitious piece of cinema with brilliant visuals and striking imagery, which, at times, reminded me of Ken Russell's The Devils. The cast are also very good, especially veteran actress Judy Geeson, known to Hammer fans for her performance in the psychological thriller, Fear in the Night.

Quite possibly Zombie's best film, we need more horror movies like this, no one takes risks anymore.

The Lords Of Salem has been getting some decent reviews, but I believe it's not getting a wide release, in fact I read some place it may be going straight to Video over here in the UK/Ireland.Where did you get to see this film mate, it's the one horror film I have really high hopes for, and going by yourself, it seems it is Zombies best film. Going by the clips I've seen it looks like a modern take on Hammers more Gothic witchcraft films, and if it reminded you of Ken Russell's classic THE DEVILS, well that is high praise indeed.
Read the Dr's review of DRACULA 3D on the Argento thread, he once again hits it on the nail.

Post #: 14933
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/4/2013 9:12:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: classics_are_best

has anyone ever saw solarbabies its a weird movie one from my childhood lol

WELLCOME to this thread, and yes I do recall Solarbabies 1986 a odd SCI/FI film set in an unspecified date, future earth, in which most water has disappeared from the Earth, we find a group of children, mostly teenagers, who are living at an orphanage/prision, run by the despotic rulers of the new Earth.A large group of youngsters who have been divided into good and bad groups, and there only release is competing at roller-skate ball,(tame version of Rollorball) while playing the teams come across a bowling-ball-sized sphere named Bodhi,which communicates with the good kids, but the bad ones cannot understand the sphere's electronic burbles. The nasty Darstar (Adrian Pasdar) steals Bodhi and heads out into the forbidden world beyond the orphanage and so the goods kids take chase, knowing the future of them and the world depends on the orb.

(in reply to classics_are_best)
Post #: 14934
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/4/2013 9:21:52 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

The Lords Of Salem has been getting some decent reviews, but I believe it's not getting a wide release, in fact I read some place it may be going straight to Video over here in the UK/Ireland.Where did you get to see this film mate, it's the one horror film I have really high hopes for, and going by yourself, it seems it is Zombies best film. Going by the clips I've seen it looks like a modern take on Hammers more Gothic witchcraft films, and if it reminded you of Ken Russell's classic THE DEVILS, well that is high praise indeed.
Read the Dr's review of DRACULA 3D on the Argento thread, he once again hits it on the nail.

I got it on DVD mate, it was released last Monday, although it is playing in some cinemas in London I think.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14935
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/4/2013 9:21:45 PM   
dannyfletch

To be fair, I quite like all of Rob Zombie's films to date and really want to see Lords of Salem! Devils Rejects is my favourite so far but going by this review then Lords might actually top that!

Post #: 14936
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/5/2013 7:46:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

I got it on DVD mate, it was released last Monday, although it is playing in some cinemas in London I think.

Must have a look out for it, it's the one I want.
Here's the delayed review of;
EVIL DEAD (2013)

Five friends head to a remote cabin, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads them to unwittingly summon up demons living in the nearby woods. The evil presence possesses them one by one, until only one is left to fight for survival.

OK we know the story, it's so straight forward and if your a horror film fan you've seen the original, and in my book the best of this franchise. Now the bad news is one the humour is gone, and the scares just fail to move you out of your seat, but then I did not expect this to match the original, so i'm not that disappointed. But what it lacks in the scare department it makes up big time in the gore one, as it goes into overdrive, with I have to say some great CGI produced gore effects, it like the original is out to turn your gut. What we have here folks is an upgraded version of the Evil Dead in both production stakes and storyline, which differs in many points but keeps most of the iconic scenes to which we love. There's more time spent on developing the characters so there fight to survive seems more real, plus there's a sub-plot between the siblings which gives the actors more to play with. Yet they never seem to get you on there side, you know they are there for only one reason, and they too seem to show it in the way they do there lines.

But it's not what the actors do with there lines that counts in this type of film, it's the visual flair and above all the violence and gore that count in what is a modern day Splatter film. Remaking an iconic classic is at best insane at best a great reimaging, even if the original filmmakers are on board as producers, but I have to say writer-director Alvarez has given us a very good remake, that delivers the sort of shock effect the original had in it's day. There is bucket loads of blood and gore, it also feels more European, more like a French take on an old Italian horror, with it's use of chilling atmosphere with it's use of colour and lighting. It's full on violence when it kicks in, and did get a number of screams at the showing I was at, but more people covering there eyes, as it became more and more gruesome, in the most extreme way at times, that left no room for the dark humour of Evil Dead 1980 or it's more dark humoured Evil Dead 2. But that in my book is fine I did not go to see another by the numbers remake, or a more light hearted version of a past splatter film, so I got what I wanted out of this remake, plenty more gore than I expected plus a great end after the titles ended, though I still prefer the 1980 classic. With all the extra gore on show and a deeper plot line, the actors could not carry it off to a higher level, and the direction was very good but noting to get to excited about, so yes it's on my must have list but never out shines the cult classic so.8/10

Post #: 14937
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/5/2013 8:08:33 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Arrow have once more announced a number of new releases. First up is The Car, which will arrived on Blu-ray on 15th July. Extras are:

- High Definition presentation (1080p), on Blu-ray for the first time in the world!
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with director Elliot Silverstein moderated by Calum Waddell
- Making a Mechanical Monster: Special Effects Artist William Alridge Remembers The Car
- Hitchhike the Hell: Actor John Rubinstein recalls becoming a victim of The Car
- Original Trailer
- Easter Egg
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Joe Wilson
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Cullen Gallagher as well as a brand new interview with co-writer Michael Butler conducted by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and artwork

Next up is Brian De Palma's suspense thriller, Dressed to Kill, which will arrive on Blu-ray on 29th July. Special features include:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature
- Optional original uncompressed Mono 2.0 Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound
- Symphony of Fear: Producer George Litto discusses his working relationship with Brian De Palma
- Dressed in White: Star Angie Dickinson on her role in the film
- Dressed in Purple: Star Nancy Allen discusses her role in the film
- Lessons in Filmmaking: Actor Keith Gordon discusses Dressed to Kill
- The Making of a Thriller – A documentary on the making of Dressed to Kill featuring writer-director Brian De Palma, George Litto, stars Angie Dickinson, Nancy Allen, Dennis Franz and more!
- Unrated, R-Rated, and TV-Rated Comparison Featurette
- Slashing Dressed to Kill – Brian De Palma and stars Nancy Allen and Keith Gordon discuss the changes that had to be made to avoid an X-rating
- Original Theatrical Gallery
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanel Marsh
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Maitland McDonagh, illustrated with original archive stills and promotional material

Deranged will be released on Dual Format Blu-ray and DVD on 12th August. Special features are:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the unrated version, featuring the infamous ‘brain-scooping scene’, available uncut in the UK for the first time!
- Audio commentary with special effects artist Tom Savini
- Introduction to the film by Savini
- A Blossoming Brilliance: Scott Spiegel (Intruder, Evil Dead II) speaks about Deranged star Roberts Blossom and the lasting legacy of this gore-soaked gem
- Ed Gein: From Murder to Movies - Laurence R. Harvey (The Human Centipide II) discusses the lurid legacy of the Wisconsin serial killer and the secrets of portraying a cinematic psychopath
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nat Marsh
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA, and an archive interview with producer Bob Clark by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- And more to be announced!

Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits will be released on both Blu-ray and DVD on 19th August. Extras include:

- Brand new 2k-resolution restoration of the film from the original camera negative, approved by director and co-writer Terry Gilliam
- Original uncompressed PCM Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
- Chasing Time Bandits: A new interview with Terry Gilliam
- Writing the Film that Dares Not Speak its Name: A new interview in which Michael Palin discusses co-writing and acting in Time Bandits
- The Effects of Time Bandits: A new interview in which Kent Houston, founder of the Peerless Camera Company, discusses Time Bandits’ optical effects
- Playing Evil: A new featurette in which actor David Warner remembers producer George Harrison and playing Evil in Time Bandits
- The Costumes of Time Bandits: A new interview with costume designer James Acheson
- The Look of Time Bandits: A new interview with production designer Milly Burns
- From Script to Screen – A new animated featurette in which Milly Burns takes us through her production notebooks, locations photographs and storyboards revealing how twentieth century Morocco was transformed into Ancient Greece
- Original Trailer
- Restoration Demonstration
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic James Oliver

Roger Corman's classic adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher will be available on Blu-ray on 26th August. Special features include:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Audio commentary with director and producer Roger Corman
- Legend to Legend: Director and former Corman apprentice Joe Dante reflects on the iconic Poe cycle
- Through the Pale Door: A Specially-commissioned video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns examining Corman’s film in relation to Poe’s story
- Archival interview with Vincent Price
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by author and critic Tim Lucas and an extract from Vincent Price’s long out of print autobiography, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced!

Squirm, which will also be Dual Format, is due for release on 16th September. Extras are:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD uncut presentation, available in the UK for the first time!
- Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
- Audio commentary with director Jeff Lieberman
- Filmed Live Q&A session with Lieberman and star Don Scardino from New York’s Anthology Film Archives (2011)
- Interview with Kim Newman
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin, author of Massacred by Mother Nature and an interview with Jeff Lieberman by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced!

And finally, Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce will be released on Blu-ray on 30th September. Extras include:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of both the Theatrical and Director’s Cuts
- New audio commentary with director Tobe Hooper
- New audio commentary with make-up effects artist Nick Maley
- Cannon Fodder: The Making of Lifeforce - An epic UK-exclusive look at the genesis, production and release of Lifeforce featuring interviews with Hooper, producer Michael J. Kagan, editor John Grover, actors Aubrey Morris and Nicholas Ball, makeup artist Sandra Exelby, screenwriter Michael Armstrong, sound designer Vernon Messenger, artistic designers Tom Adams and Douglas Smith and effects artist John Schoonraad.
- New Cast & Crew Retrospective with star Steve Railsback, Hooper, Mathilda May and more!
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, a new interview with Oscar-winning visual effects artist John Dykstra by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14938
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/5/2013 9:36:31 PM   
Mister Coe

UK viewers! I'm just going through my TV guide and I've just noticed that that the original DJANGO is showing on Movie Mix... now this is a channel I've never paid any attention to (mainly because it seems to show COPS and BAYWATCH several times a day) but I loved this film about 20 years ago and haven't seen it since.

So, if you loved the Tarentino version, you might want to check this out. Freeview channel 32, 22.50 on Friday, not sure what the channel is if you've got Sky.

I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Say what now?

Post #: 14939
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/5/2013 5:52:14 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Must have a look out for it, it's the one I want.
Here's the delayed review of;
EVIL DEAD (2013)

Five friends head to a remote cabin, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads them to unwittingly summon up demons living in the nearby woods. The evil presence possesses them one by one, until only one is left to fight for survival.

OK we know the story, it's so straight forward and if your a horror film fan you've seen the original, and in my book the best of this franchise. Now the bad news is one the humour is gone, and the scares just fail to move you out of your seat, but then I did not expect this to match the original, so i'm not that disappointed. But what it lacks in the scare department it makes up big time in the gore one, as it goes into overdrive, with I have to say some great CGI produced gore effects, it like the original is out to turn your gut. What we have here folks is an upgraded version of the Evil Dead in both production stakes and storyline, which differs in many points but keeps most of the iconic scenes to which we love. There's more time spent on developing the characters so there fight to survive seems more real, plus there's a sub-plot between the siblings which gives the actors more to play with. Yet they never seem to get you on there side, you know they are there for only one reason, and they too seem to show it in the way they do there lines.

But it's not what the actors do with there lines that counts in this type of film, it's the visual flair and above all the violence and gore that count in what is a modern day Splatter film. Remaking an iconic classic is at best insane at best a great reimaging, even if the original filmmakers are on board as producers, but I have to say writer-director Alvarez has given us a very good remake, that delivers the sort of shock effect the original had in it's day. There is bucket loads of blood and gore, it also feels more European, more like a French take on an old Italian horror, with it's use of chilling atmosphere with it's use of colour and lighting. It's full on violence when it kicks in, and did get a number of screams at the showing I was at, but more people covering there eyes, as it became more and more gruesome, in the most extreme way at times, that left no room for the dark humour of Evil Dead 1980 or it's more dark humoured Evil Dead 2. But that in my book is fine I did not go to see another by the numbers remake, or a more light hearted version of a past splatter film, so I got what I wanted out of this remake, plenty more gore than I expected plus a great end after the titles ended, though I still prefer the 1980 classic. With all the extra gore on show and a deeper plot line, the actors could not carry it off to a higher level, and the direction was very good but noting to get to excited about, so yes it's on my must have list but never out shines the cult classic so.8/10

Agree with most of this though I'd probably rate it 7; certainly a better-than-average remake but the problem was I just didn't find it scary, nor did I care much. Still decent though, and I must say I was surprised [and impressed] at what they got away with gore-wise.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14940
Page:   <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI