Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  495 496 [497] 498 499   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/3/2013 5:55:03 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

This Friday night BBC2 is this little gem from the 80's
Saturn 3 (1980)

In the future, Earth is overcrowded and the population relies on distant bases to be fed. In the Saturn 3 station, Major Adam(Kirk Douglas) and the scientist Alex(Farrah Fawcett), who is also his lover and has never been on Earth, have been researching hydroponics for three years in the base alone with their dog Sally. Meanwhile, the psychotic Captain Benson(Harvey Keitel) fails the mental test required to travel to Saturn 3 and kills his replacement, Captain James, taking his place in the mission of assembling and programming the Demi-God series robot Hector to replace one of the scientists in Saturn 3. On the arrival, the mentally disturbed Captain Benson becomes sexually obsessed for Alex. Then he uses an interface to link his brain to program Hector, but incapable to control his emotions, he transfers his homicidal tendency and insanity to Hector. Now Major Adam and Alex are trapped in the station with a dangerous psychopath robot.

It's's a forgotten Sci/Fi horror SATURN 3(1980)starring Kirk Douglas when he still had some star power, maybe a bit to mature for an action hero, but then that did not stop Sly,Willis etc, and he is very convincing as Major Adam, and good enough looking to seduce Alex. This was a bit of a surprise for me, as Charlies Angels TV show was big at the time, but I did not expect the star and sex goddess of that show to be that good, for to appear in a movie which for my money may be a bit cheesy, but is so much fun. And though Farrah is not a great actress she is underrated, for she carries off her role pretty well here against two top class actors, in fact she is a decent actress and in the top of her beauty, plus here she is willing in this to showing parts of her body you would not see again in any other film. Acting as a woman who has never seen Earth she reminded me of Dr. Morbius daughter Altaira in FORBIDDEN PLANET, a sort of sexy innocence yet here she is seducing not only the psychopath Captain Benson but us male viewers. Add in Harvey Keitel in top form as the psycho who puts his own thought's into the robots brain,and we end up with an out of control horny robot after Farrah(who could blame him), and we get a tight simple story line with a tight small cast that works surprisingly well. There's plenty of mayhem and gore which is why it was an 18 at the time of release along with the nudity,and the effects pre CGI are quite good for a 80's Sci/Fi, and led to the technology for the robot in TERMINATOR which of course is a true classic, inspired by this film which I have no doubt about, and also inspired films like The Matrix even ALIENS to a certain degree.

Produced and directed by Stanley Donen, who made some great films in the 50s and 60s (Singin' In The Rain, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Charade), but here he is out of his comfort zone, he's not a Sci/Fi Horror director, and only took up the project after John Barry who wrote and scripted dropped out of directing, due to ill health, or as some have reported clashes with Kirk, now where have I heard this before. The films backers ITC Entertainment, owned by Lew Grade, had hoped this would be as big as ALIEN, being British made and British backed, with a decent budget, but it's disappointing box office consigned this to video Cult Hell.Two scenes that had been filmed for the production were edited out, due to Lew Grade objecting to the subject matter. These were a dream sequence that involved both Adam and Alex killing Benson and a scene where Hector ripped apart Benson's dead body on a table in one of the colony's laboratories. The script by Martin Amis is based on his novel Money, in which the main character, John Self, is based in part on John Barry (Self's father is named Barry Self as well). The ageing film star "Lorne Guyland", obsessed by his own virility, is based on Douglas.[ Similarly, the project that John Self attempts to complete is as wracked with disaster as was the production of this film. Budget was cut along with scenes due to Raise The Titanic, taking up more money and time, and being filmed at the same studios at the same time caused major cut backs on Saturn 3. Also Elmer Bernstein contributes a forgettable music score to the film which is well below his usual standard, and all adds up to a film that could have been so much better, but falls short overall. No classic but a fun bit of horror that owes more to Demon Seed/Alien than any other movie.It deserves a good remastering and a bunch of extras, for it's o a few new things not seen in Sci/Fi at that point, and it is for me a cult classic that needs some love, give it ago, and you just might think, it's bad but good in the same breath.7/10

Not seen this for about 20 years but remember really enjoying. Thanks for reminding me of it!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14881
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/3/2013 6:00:50 PM   
Dr Lenera

1996,during the Balkan conflict, in an unnamed country. The Seasoning House is a place where kidnapped girls are taken and forced into prostitution for the military. Angel, a deaf mute young girl who was kidnapped after her family was brutally slaughtered, is tasked with ‘looking after’ the other girls, such as shooting them up with heroin and hiding the bruises/cuts sustained from their violent ‘Johns.’ When the male ‘keepers’ of the house are asleep she uses her small size to slip through vents and the walls of the house to visit the girls. One girl in particular is able to communicate with Angel through sign language and they strike up a bond, but whatever happiness they have found together in their bleak situation is shattered by the arrival of the ruthless solider Goran and his men, people who Angel has seen before……

If you’re a regular reader of this website, you’ll have no doubt heard me say more than once that it’s a really good time for independent horror in the UK artistically, with some really good films being made and the overall standard pretty high. The films are not always reaching the large audiences they deserve, but they’re getting released. Now I’m sure you know that I try to have integrity as a film reviewer; if I think in my humble opinion that a film is garbage than I will say so, regardless if I’ve been kindly sent a screener DVD or been invited to a preview or not. Therefore try and believe me when I say that The Seasoning House is not only another fine piece of work but possibly the best of all the British indie pictures I’ve seen recently. I need to say right away though that this is not a pleasant watch, in fact it’s very nasty, and I have a feeling that it was a bit ‘too much’ for certainly one of the other people at the preview screening, whom I heard muttering to her male companion; “ that was horrible”.

Well, you could call The Seasoning House horrible I suppose, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the more sensitive critics will express outrage when it goes on general release and claim that this is more sick horror trash that appeals to an audience’s basest instincts. My immediate answer would be that it is pretty hard to make a film about something like child trafficking and sexual slavery without showing the nasty reality of it, and that co-writer Helen Soloman spent ages researching her subject so that the end result was honest and felt real. In fact, I can quote her as saying that “a lot of the film’s key scenes are sadly more documented fact than fiction”. Despite having read about the film just before seeing it, I spent much of my viewing time emotionally shattered and deeply upset with what was unfolding in front of me, yet hypnotised and unable to look away [though I came close once]. I guess this was partly because this was so unexpected. I mean you watch a film like I Spit On Your Grave [I mean more the original rather than the sillier remake] for the first time, something I did a few weeks ago, and you know you’re in for a nasty ride. The Seasoning House may not have twenty-minute rape scenes like that film, but it’s full-on brutality and harshness came as quite a shock tb me when most British horror movies of late tend to downplay the graphic and horrid elements.

So make no mistake, this is a gruelling experience, but a very well-made one that really is a great debut for special effects maestro Paul Hyett, whose name you may not know but you will have certainly seen his work on films such as The Descent, The Woman In Black and Attack The Block. His film seems influenced by the 1973 Thriller: A Cruel Picture AKA They Call Her One Eye, and the director himself describes it as a cross between Martyrs, Pan’s Labyrinth and Die Hard, which sounds like two thirds of a great movie to me [I just don’t ‘get’ Martyrs and half-way through the third attempt to do so realised I could do more constructive things with my time like driving a sharp pointed stick into one of my eyes]. I could certainly see the Pan’s Labyrinth influence right away in the film as it details Angel’s traumatic existence in an almost dream-like manner, as if she is in a daze because that’s the only way she can cope with her life, though the second half seems to me to show the influence of another note-worthy UK horror which Hyett worked on, Eden Lake, even offering a variation on one particular moment from that film.

The film pretty much signifies what it’s about right from its opening, with the titles unfolding to the sound of a woman sobbing, after which we see a vent opening and two hands, followed by the rest of Angel climbing out [I was instantly reminded of the little girl in Opera, who has a similar skill]. Utter misery and terror versus the desperate desire to be free. The next few scenes establish both her life at the Seasoning House, and how she got there, with great economy as well as considerable artistry. Often the film is silent except for the droning music, perhaps making us in some small way feel Angel’s numbness. Flashbacks give us just enough background. Her life is a cruel one, but not as cruel as the lives of the prostitutes she has to make look ‘nice’ after being brutalised and shoot up with heroin so they are more-or-less numb when they are getting screwed, and beaten, and screwed, and beaten. We see some of this, mayben not a uge amount, though what there is really is hard to watch, and the film constantly makes you feel the pain and horror these poor girls do through. There is one girl who we see having to carry on being raped and brutalised by men even though she has already suffered a certain horrid injury, and she turns her face, as if looking at the camera,and lets out this cry which I found intensely upsetting.

Yes, this is certainly grim stuff, and I should say that the film doesn’t hold back on the gore either, with some truly vicious deaths [including one by piggy-banks!]. There is a stabbing that seems to go on forever, which reminded me how few filmmakers try to do what Alfred Hitchcock did in Torn Curtain and show how bloody hard it can be to kill someone, and of course I don’t need to say that the old-style effects are very convincing. The film often looks great with many of the scenes inside the brothel shot with a yellowish tint with white light from outside streaming in, constantly reminding us of the freedom which can almost be touched, though in one scene Angel doesn’t seem to even want freedom, perhaps because the outside world could be even more dangerous. The film becomes more action-orientated around half-way through with much chasing up ducts and eventually outside. Things threaten to get a little silly here as I seemed to be watching a more violent Hanna, and I’m not sure that we needed a twist ending replayed twice or indeed a twist ending at all, but the pace never falters and it’s certainly thrilling.

There are characters who you will hate in this film, characters who you will want to die in the most horrible way possible, but the script intelligently gives some of them moments of humanity, from the brothel owner’s warped ‘love’ [he takes her to bed but doesn’t have sex with her] for Angel to a bit where the soldier Goran, a great role for Sean Pertwee who really convinces playing it, weeps when another soldier dies. War has obviously been the thing which has made him the monster he is. Rosie Day is remarkable as Angel, conveying so much while being unable to speak. It’s the sort of performance which should be nominated for and win awards, but won’t because of the type of film it’s in. Adam Etherington’s camerawork is often striking the way it darts about, while Paul E. Francis’s omni-present score is quite remarkable. I’m an old-fashioned kind of guy in some ways, and yearn for the days where even very low-budget films usually managed an orchestral score [even if it wasn’t always original!] rather than the constant synthesiser stuff you get now, but Francis does an amazing job in musically conveying the film’s changes in mood and the emotional state of its heroine. He’s especially good with the odd ‘nice’ moment in Angel’s existence, like when she’s visited by a rat who seems a godsend when compared with the dreadful men around her. Indeed there are occasional moments of beauty, and considerable tenderness, in this harrowing, gut-wrenching but relevant and very well put together film.

Though I personally would have changed some things in the second half, overall Hyett, Soloman and their crew show not just skill but commendable bravery, and, yes, responsibility, in making The Seasoning House. I just hope it gets the good response it deserves.

Rating: 8.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14882
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/3/2013 7:58:04 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

1996,during the Balkan conflict, in an unnamed country. The Seasoning House is a place where kidnapped girls are taken and forced into prostitution for the military. Angel, a deaf mute young girl who was kidnapped after her family was brutally slaughtered, is tasked with 'looking after' the other girls, such as shooting them up with heroin and hiding the bruises/cuts sustained from their violent 'Johns.' When the male 'keepers' of the house are asleep she uses her small size to slip through vents and the walls of the house to visit the girls. One girl in particular is able to communicate with Angel through sign language and they strike up a bond, but whatever happiness they have found together in their bleak situation is shattered by the arrival of the ruthless solider Goran and his men, people who Angel has seen before……

If you're a regular reader of this website, you'll have no doubt heard me say more than once that it's a really good time for independent horror in the UK artistically, with some really good films being made and the overall standard pretty high. The films are not always reaching the large audiences they deserve, but they're getting released. Now I'm sure you know that I try to have integrity as a film reviewer; if I think in my humble opinion that a film is garbage than I will say so, regardless if I've been kindly sent a screener DVD or been invited to a preview or not. Therefore try and believe me when I say that The Seasoning House is not only another fine piece of work but possibly the best of all the British indie pictures I've seen recently. I need to say right away though that this is not a pleasant watch, in fact it's very nasty, and I have a feeling that it was a bit 'too much' for certainly one of the other people at the preview screening, whom I heard muttering to her male companion; " that was horrible”.

Well, you could call The Seasoning House horrible I suppose, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more sensitive critics will express outrage when it goes on general release and claim that this is more sick horror trash that appeals to an audience's basest instincts. My immediate answer would be that it is pretty hard to make a film about something like child trafficking and sexual slavery without showing the nasty reality of it, and that co-writer Helen Soloman spent ages researching her subject so that the end result was honest and felt real. In fact, I can quote her as saying that "a lot of the film's key scenes are sadly more documented fact than fiction”. Despite having read about the film just before seeing it, I spent much of my viewing time emotionally shattered and deeply upset with what was unfolding in front of me, yet hypnotised and unable to look away [though I came close once]. I guess this was partly because this was so unexpected. I mean you watch a film like I Spit On Your Grave [I mean more the original rather than the sillier remake] for the first time, something I did a few weeks ago, and you know you're in for a nasty ride. The Seasoning House may not have twenty-minute rape scenes like that film, but it's full-on brutality and harshness came as quite a shock tb me when most British horror movies of late tend to downplay the graphic and horrid elements.

So make no mistake, this is a gruelling experience, but a very well-made one that really is a great debut for special effects maestro Paul Hyett, whose name you may not know but you will have certainly seen his work on films such as The Descent, The Woman In Black and Attack The Block. His film seems influenced by the 1973 Thriller: A Cruel Picture AKA They Call Her One Eye, and the director himself describes it as a cross between Martyrs, Pan's Labyrinth and Die Hard, which sounds like two thirds of a great movie to me [I just don't 'get' Martyrs and half-way through the third attempt to do so realised I could do more constructive things with my time like driving a sharp pointed stick into one of my eyes]. I could certainly see the Pan's Labyrinth influence right away in the film as it details Angel's traumatic existence in an almost dream-like manner, as if she is in a daze because that's the only way she can cope with her life, though the second half seems to me to show the influence of another note-worthy UK horror which Hyett worked on, Eden Lake, even offering a variation on one particular moment from that film.

The film pretty much signifies what it's about right from its opening, with the titles unfolding to the sound of a woman sobbing, after which we see a vent opening and two hands, followed by the rest of Angel climbing out [I was instantly reminded of the little girl in Opera, who has a similar skill]. Utter misery and terror versus the desperate desire to be free. The next few scenes establish both her life at the Seasoning House, and how she got there, with great economy as well as considerable artistry. Often the film is silent except for the droning music, perhaps making us in some small way feel Angel's numbness. Flashbacks give us just enough background. Her life is a cruel one, but not as cruel as the lives of the prostitutes she has to make look 'nice' after being brutalised and shoot up with heroin so they are more-or-less numb when they are getting screwed, and beaten, and screwed, and beaten. We see some of this, mayben not a uge amount, though what there is really is hard to watch, and the film constantly makes you feel the pain and horror these poor girls do through. There is one girl who we see having to carry on being raped and brutalised by men even though she has already suffered a certain horrid injury, and she turns her face, as if looking at the camera,and lets out this cry which I found intensely upsetting.

Yes, this is certainly grim stuff, and I should say that the film doesn't hold back on the gore either, with some truly vicious deaths [including one by piggy-banks!]. There is a stabbing that seems to go on forever, which reminded me how few filmmakers try to do what Alfred Hitchcock did in Torn Curtain and show how bloody hard it can be to kill someone, and of course I don't need to say that the old-style effects are very convincing. The film often looks great with many of the scenes inside the brothel shot with a yellowish tint with white light from outside streaming in, constantly reminding us of the freedom which can almost be touched, though in one scene Angel doesn't seem to even want freedom, perhaps because the outside world could be even more dangerous. The film becomes more action-orientated around half-way through with much chasing up ducts and eventually outside. Things threaten to get a little silly here as I seemed to be watching a more violent Hanna, and I'm not sure that we needed a twist ending replayed twice or indeed a twist ending at all, but the pace never falters and it's certainly thrilling.

There are characters who you will hate in this film, characters who you will want to die in the most horrible way possible, but the script intelligently gives some of them moments of humanity, from the brothel owner's warped 'love' [he takes her to bed but doesn't have sex with her] for Angel to a bit where the soldier Goran, a great role for Sean Pertwee who really convinces playing it, weeps when another soldier dies. War has obviously been the thing which has made him the monster he is. Rosie Day is remarkable as Angel, conveying so much while being unable to speak. It's the sort of performance which should be nominated for and win awards, but won't because of the type of film it's in. Adam Etherington's camerawork is often striking the way it darts about, while Paul E. Francis's omni-present score is quite remarkable. I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy in some ways, and yearn for the days where even very low-budget films usually managed an orchestral score [even if it wasn't always original!] rather than the constant synthesiser stuff you get now, but Francis does an amazing job in musically conveying the film's changes in mood and the emotional state of its heroine. He's especially good with the odd 'nice' moment in Angel's existence, like when she's visited by a rat who seems a godsend when compared with the dreadful men around her. Indeed there are occasional moments of beauty, and considerable tenderness, in this harrowing, gut-wrenching but relevant and very well put together film.

Though I personally would have changed some things in the second half, overall Hyett, Soloman and their crew show not just skill but commendable bravery, and, yes, responsibility, in making The Seasoning House. I just hope it gets the good response it deserves.

Rating: 8.5/10

Great review I hope this lives up to the review when I can get hold of a copy that is, for as you know this is the sort of film I believe the British directors excel at. In fact this past couple of decades have given us some truly original, deeply disturbing  British horror like Eden Lake and Kill List to name a few, also some nice chillers like Woman In Black etc, so it seems British Horror is more alive now than it has been in a long time.

quote:

SATURN 3(1980)starring Kirk Douglas when he still had some star power, maybe a bit to mature for an action hero, but then that did not stop Sly,Willis etc, and he is very convincing as Major Adam, and good enough looking to seduce Alex. This was a bit of a surprise for me, as Charlies Angels TV show was big at the time, but I did not expect the star and sex goddess of that show to be that good, for to appear in a movie which for my money may be a bit cheesy, but is so much fun. And though Farrah is not a great actress she is underrated, for she carries off her role pretty well here against two top class actors, in fact she is a decent actress and in the top of her beauty, plus here she is willing in this to showing parts of her body you would not see again in any other film. Acting as a woman who has never seen Earth she reminded me of Dr. Morbius daughter Altaira in FORBIDDEN PLANET, a sort of sexy innocence yet here she is seducing not only the psychopath Captain Benson but us male viewers. Add in Harvey Keitel in top form as the psycho who puts his own thought's into the robots brain,and we end up with an out of control horny robot after Farrah(who could blame him), and we get a tight simple story line with a tight small cast that works surprisingly well. There's plenty of mayhem and gore which is why it was an 18 at the time of release along with the nudity,and the effects pre CGI are quite good for a 80's Sci/Fi, and led to the technology for the robot in TERMINATOR which of course is a true classic, inspired by this film which I have no doubt about, and also inspired films like The Matrix even ALIENS to a certain degree.

Not seen this for about 20 years but remember really enjoying. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Well it's on tomorrow Good Friday so tune in and enjoy once again.
By the way;
HAPPY EASTER FOLKS!!!

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14883
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/3/2013 8:48:10 PM   
dannyfletch

Well after watching the excellent Danish drama/thriller The Hunt, I now have another brilliant film to add to my list of the best of 2012.
I strongly recommend Thomas Vinterberg's powerful potboiler about a teacher who is wrongly accused of child abuse. The excellent Mads Mikkleson puts in the performance of his career as the teacher who becomes the victim of a modern day witch hunt and shows how a lie can spread and destroy a persons life in a very short space of time.
Not going into detail with a full blown review but all I can say is please seek it out if you haven't already. I was completely hooked from start to finish! Alongside Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master, this is possibly my favourite film of 2012. 10/10

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14884
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/3/2013 11:27:17 AM   
losthighway

I watched The Master the other day. It looks fantastic but I found it to be the most pointless film since Malick's The Tree of Life!

A couple of things I fancied commenting on the Empire website... great interview with Rob Zombie, although sadly nowhere does it mention that his new film Lords of Salem is going straight to DVD in the UK on 22nd April (yep folks, we're getting shafted with this one! ). For those interested The Collector sequel (The Collection) is also out the same day. I REALLY wanted to see Lords on the big screen so unless some kind soul decides to give it a limited release a week before the DVD release, looks like i'll be watching it at home.

Also, the interview with Campbell about Army of Darkness 2... did nobody tell them that Army of Darkness was bad enough. Terrible film. Please no more!!

Oh and happy Easter folks... no naked ladies but I will give you this: http://youtu.be/AIjVpRAXK18 (great tune!)

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14885
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/3/2013 12:29:50 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I watched The Master the other day. It looks fantastic but I found it to be the most pointless film since Malick's The Tree of Life!

A couple of things I fancied commenting on the Empire website... great interview with Rob Zombie, although sadly nowhere does it mention that his new film Lords of Salem is going straight to DVD in the UK on 22nd April (yep folks, we're getting shafted with this one! ). For those interested The Collector sequel (The Collection) is also out the same day. I REALLY wanted to see Lords on the big screen so unless some kind soul decides to give it a limited release a week before the DVD release, looks like i'll be watching it at home.

Also, the interview with Campbell about Army of Darkness 2... did nobody tell them that Army of Darkness was bad enough. Terrible film. Please no more!!

Oh and happy Easter folks... no naked ladies but I will give you this: http://youtu.be/AIjVpRAXK18 (great tune!)

Yeah great tune mate, and NOOOOOO!!! what the F**k Lords Of Salem straight to DVD, I too was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.And as for Army Of Darkness 2, i'm with you I hated the first and see no point in a second helping of shit, but this is the big problem,at the moment there remaking every bloody 80's film they can get the rights too, in fact I just read Saturn 3 is now on the cards for a remake.
quote:

Dannyfletch
Well after watching the excellent Danish drama/thriller The Hunt, I now have another brilliant film to add to my list of the best of 2012.
I strongly recommend Thomas Vinterberg's powerful potboiler about a teacher who is wrongly accused of child abuse. The excellent Mads Mikkleson puts in the performance of his career as the teacher who becomes the victim of a modern day witch hunt and shows how a lie can spread and destroy a persons life in a very short space of time.
Not going into detail with a full blown review but all I can say is please seek it out if you haven't already. I was completely hooked from start to finish! Alongside Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master, this is possibly my favourite film of 2012. 10/10

I seen this in the Video shop, i'll rent it out and give it a try.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14886
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/3/2013 1:30:17 PM   
paul.mccluskey

If you guys love revenge films, you should check out the Korean thriller, I Saw the Devil. Watched it a couple of nights ago, a masterclass in nail-biting tension, it completely turns the theme of vengeance on its head over the course of 140 minutes. Very dark and at times quite grisly, but definitely worth checking out.

Also seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Odd, but an interesting blend of fact and fiction, mostly fiction obviously, I mean, it's not like the real Lincoln hunted vampires while he was President right? Right?! Empire gave it 2 stars, but I'd add an extra star, it is pretty entertaining, even though it adds very little to the vampire mythology.

And finally, Empire have given the new Evil Dead remake 3 stars! Colour me surprised!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14887
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/3/2013 9:23:09 PM   
dannyfletch

I disagree there mate. I wasn't impressed by Tree of Life but thought The Master had many points to make. Granted it's not to everyone's taste though but I was amazed and gripped from start to finish.
As for The Hunt, please seek it out immediately. I look forward to hearing Evil Bill's verdict!

Army of darkness wasn't terrible, it was just out of tune with the first two Evil Dead films. It was too slapstick and nowhere near dark enough. If they go through with Army of Darkness 2 then they need to go back to how the first two where and pretty much forget about the 3rd instalment.

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 31/3/2013 12:12:16 PM >

Post #: 14888
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/3/2013 12:17:23 PM   
losthighway

I want to see THE HUNT but unless it turns up on SKY Box Office, I don't tend to get to see films as taken a break from purchasing DVDs that I'm not likely to want long term as current cashback at Cex is minimal!

Anyways, I'm waffling... for those interested Sainsburys are currently selling The Hunt on DVD for £7.99.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 14889
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/3/2013 8:46:33 PM   
dannyfletch

I think it's well worth the purchase mate and £7.99 is a bargain. I bought the blu ray last week and already can't wait to watch it again!
Have also revisited my childhood and purchased Willow on blu ray and am happy to say that it has stood up quite well and is still hugely enjoyable. If you're a fan then I recommend.
Next big purchase has got to be The Hobbit!

Post #: 14890
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/4/2013 12:02:46 AM   
CORLEONE

Just randomly stuck The Keep on. Not sure if it's any good but the premise certainly intrigues.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 14891
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/4/2013 1:04:52 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Man with the Iron Fists (2012)

Running Time: 93 mins

Certificate: 18

Man with the Iron fists is Wu-Tang Clan's RZA take on the violent, badly dubbed but imaginative kung fu flicks of the 1970's. With the help of Quentin Tarantino and co-writer/ producer, Eli Roth, he stars, directs and pens this muddled, camp and noisy yarn about a group of mercenaries, bounty hunters, monsters and psychopaths arriving at the not so welcoming, Jungle Village to rob a shipment of gold. The only person that stands to protect the village is Smith the Blacksmith (RZA) who set up business there after being saved from death and trained by a bunch of zen loving monks. His dream is to make enough money to free his prostitute girlfriend, Lady Silk (Jamie Chung) from the clutches of her deadly mistress, Madam Blossom (Lucy Liu) and for them both to ride off into more peaceful pastures. Numerous characters appear to exchange insults and square up to each other including the perverted and pompous ex-soldier, Jack Knife (a fantastic Russell Crowe), a blade flicking expert called Zen-Yi (Rick Yune) and the metal formed giant, Brass Body (WWF star, Dave Bautista). When one of the nastiest of the villain gangs hack off Smith's hands for harbouring a wounded opponent, the blacksmith uses his yen training to infuse two iron hands to his arms and backbone. Most of the action, including the explosive and messy climax, takes place in Madam Blossom's House of Pleasure (erhem!). The winner will take all.

RZA's first stab at the martial arts genre is far from perfect. The dialogue is sloppy and some of the acting, including Mr RZA himself, is fairly poor. Sometimes the stylised camerawork and loud hip-hop soundtrack becomes a little overbearing and tiresome also. However there is no doubt that there is much fun to be had in what amounts to one big, bloody and visually stunning set piece. Heads roll, bones smash and blood sprays all over the place as one action scene follows another. Perhaps the best square off is between Smith and Brass Body as they both proceed to smash lumps out of each other. The sets and costumes are worth some praise also with the House of Pleasure fusing Chinese design with the interiors of the Moulin Rouge.

Although the acting consists of macho threats and boasting, Russell Crowe seems to be having great fun in his most flamboyant role for some time. He is hilarious as the sex starved mercenary, Jack Knife. He warns a group of hookers, 'You are business [Looks at his knife], this is pleasure' or the classic line, 'My name is Mr Knife! You can call me Jack'. Lucy Liu is also happy to ham it up in a similar role to her mafia boss in Kill Bill. A scene where she orchestrates the slaughter of a male clan by the many members of her Silken Hookers is gruesome but well orchestrated.

Man with the Iron Fists is a slick, fast moving and gory little actioner that isn't ashamed to camp things up into top gear. Although it misses the mark on a few occasions, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be more than a few kung fu fans eager to add this to their collection.

[rating: 7.5/10]

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 2/4/2013 1:09:26 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14892
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 2/4/2013 7:37:44 PM   
paul.mccluskey

As I'm sure you're all aware, Jess Franco died today. Not the greatest filmmaker, but he was essential to cult cinema, and churned out so many movies of different genres (mostly horror and trashy exploitation flicks, as well as pornos), ranging from brilliant to downright absurd. I still think his adaptation of Dracula is still one of the best versions I have ever seen, although everyone claims that Vampyros Lesbos is his masterpiece.

RIP.

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 14893
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/4/2013 1:23:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

As I'm sure you're all aware, Jess Franco died today. Not the greatest filmmaker, but he was essential to cult cinema, and churned out so many movies of different genres (mostly horror and trashy exploitation flicks, as well as pornos), ranging from brilliant to downright absurd. I still think his adaptation of Dracula is still one of the best versions I have ever seen, although everyone claims that Vampyros Lesbos is his masterpiece.

RIP.

I just read this, and it is indeed sad news for us fans of Exploitation Films, and yes he was by no means a great director, but he did help push the boundaries of Horror and Exploitation film's. Which was his best film well i'm with you his version of Dracula was his best with Vampyros Lesbos a close second. Goodbye old friend may you have plenty of fun on the other side.RIP.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14894
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/4/2013 11:16:11 AM   
dannyfletch

Well I've just seen the trailer for the new Nicolas Winding Refn flick Only God Forgives and all I can say is WOW! It looks amazing! Ryan Gosling returns after the excellent Drive and from the looks of things he plays another violent and mysterious character. Bring it on!!!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14895
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/4/2013 1:16:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Did anyone here do a review for GIJoe Retaliation? (i think it qualifies for this thread perhaps?)

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 14896
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/4/2013 8:23:47 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Well I've just seen the trailer for the new Nicolas Winding Refn flick Only God Forgives and all I can say is WOW! It looks amazing! Ryan Gosling returns after the excellent Drive and from the looks of things he plays another violent and mysterious character. Bring it on!!!

Yes now I've been excited about this one for the past few months, as I read it is so like DRIVE except with motorcycles, and going by the previews and trailer looks cool.

quote:

DONOVAN KURTWOOD
Did anyone here do a review for GIJoe Retaliation? (i think it qualifies for this thread perhaps?)

No I haven't seen it or seen  a review posted yet, but yes it would suit us sir!!!.

Post #: 14897
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/4/2013 9:39:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

GI JOE: RETALIATION

I am a huge fan of Stephen Sommers’ GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and I’m not ashamed to say it ranks as one of my favourite action FX movies of the last few years. I think he got it pretty much exactly right. I say pretty much as Marlon Wayans is very annoying in it and the ever popular Channing Tatum makes for a wooden lead. Despite this I loved the action and the gadgets on display and thought the storyline was a lot of fun. I definitely wanted a sequel.

So this brings us round to GI Joe: Retalitation, finally released in 2013 after the last minute delay to convert to 3D and add a few extra Channing Tatum scenes. I was actually quite positive about the choice of director on this, despite many naysayers I think John M. Chu has quite a cool visual style. I really like his Step Up 3 in 3D, not that I’m into dance movies necessarily but he stages everything very well and makes great use of the extra dimensions.

I enjoyed GI Joe: Retalitation a lot. For me it doesn’t reach the heights of the first one (I haven’t seen a sequence in a long time that has topped the Paris chase scene in that) but it delivers a lot of fun and some great action during its succinct running time. The flipside to this is that the dialogue is absolutely terrible for the most part and the story even worse. There are some superb facepalm moments in this movie, with the best being a scene towards the end when the fake President (Zartan) starts trolling everybody. Watch the movie and you’ll see what I mean, it really is one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes I’ve seen in a good while. Generally the cast equips themselves well. Almost all of the key cast from the first movie has been jettisoned. Tatum’s role is miniscule (I’m not complaining) and the only other familiar faces are Jonathan Pryce, Byung Hun-Lee, Ray Park and a brief cameo from Arnold Vosloo. Adrianne Palicki as Jaye is absolutely stunning and was a real highlight for obvious reasons, the most obvious being that red dress.

Dwayne Johnson delivers his usual performance in the lead role. I think he’s generally good but is a bit bland and wish he was given better dialogue. Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes receive a lot of screen time and have quite a bit of side story devoted to them. Unfortunately this paves the way for a brief but memorably horrendous performance from RZA as a blind shaolin master. He really sucks. Jonathan Pryce is having a lot of fun playing the dual roles of President and Zartan but he must have thought the script was ridiculous. Ray Stevenson is a memorable Henchman in this and brings a welcome presence to the villains of the piece, headed by Cobra Commander.

The visual FX have been toned down and pared back somewhat from the previous instalment which is a shame as that’s one of the aspects I love most. They’ve definitely attempted to go for a more grounded approach, which I still enjoy. The most memorable sequence in the entire movie is a thrilling set pieces set on the side of a snow covered mountain as Snake Eyes and Jinx are forced to take on a battalion of ninjas as they try to escape. The whole scene is amazingly well executed and has great visual FX and pacing. It is even better viewed in 3D, marking it as a real standout 3D sequence not only in the movie, but so far this year. Overall, the 3D conversion is excellent and was absolutely worth the time and effort invested in it. I would rate it on a par with Titanic or The Avengers, two of the best converted titles out there. Post conversions are getting so good now they look better than a lot of native 3D movies.

I can thoroughly recommend GI Joe: Retaliation to action junkies and fans of the first movie. It’s far from perfect, the dialogue is woeful and characterisation almost non existent but it is a lot of fun and just wants to provide us with fun action and colourful costumes and characters. The finale could have done with being bigger and more large scale. The stakes are big, but the setting is fairly low key considering the events unfolding. This is a minor flaw though and I think the mountain sequence is worth the price of admission alone, it really is excellent. So overall it’s worth checking out when given the chance and it at least does continue the story from the first, lending some decent continuity despite featuring primarily new characters.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14898
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 4/4/2013 9:40:00 PM   
evil bill

Wow it's now coming up to the 30th anniversary of a cult classic, which is soon to hit are big screens, so here's my take on the original, and yes I will go see the remake, with fingers crossed they don't f**k it up.

EVIL DEAD (1983)
Five college kids go on vacation together, Ash (Bruce Campbell), his girlfriend Linda (Betsy Baker), and their classmates Cheryl (Ellen Sandweiss), Scott (Hal Delrich) and Shelly (Sarah York).On there journey they make an unplanned stopover in an abandoned mountain cabin surrounded by misty creepy woods. Before settling in for the night, they come across an ancient-looking occult tome filled with dense hieroglyphics and macabre illustrations, a dagger fashioned from human bones, and a reel-to-reel tape recorder. The taped message, dictated by a professor of archaeology, describes the contents of the Sumerian "Book of the Dead," filled with incantations used to bring otherworldly demons to life, giving them license to possess the living. The message goes on to explain that those possessed by these demons can only be stopped by total bodily dismemberment. When played among the group later that evening, the professor's recorded translations of the ritual chants traumatize the strangely prescient Shelly and simultaneously release an ominous presence from the depths of the forest. The evil spirits take to their dirty work with gusto, first assuming control of Shelly and transforming her into a cackling, murderous hag with superhuman strength; the others imprison her in the fruit cellar and chain the trapdoor shut. The spirits then begin to possess the other women, including Linda who immediately turns on Ash with a barrage of punches and sadistic taunts. Unable to bring himself to chop up his lover's corpse, Ash gives her a more customary burial in the woods which proves to be a big mistake. As the others succumb to demonic influence, Ash's horrific predicament becomes increasingly grim until, when all hope seems lost, he stumbles upon a final, desperate solution to the ghoulish onslaught

This was the first feature film from Sam Raimi, all shot on 16mm in the woods of Tennesse for around $90,000, even then a super low budget, but what a pay off as it secured Raimi cult status, and scared the shit out of a generation of film and video fans. Despite of the shoestring production values, Raimi has fashioned a tight, roller-coaster nightmare film, filled with operatic overacting and over the top gore effects, superb visuals that give the film a comic-book feel. Based on an earlier 8mm short titled Within the Woods, this feature version was fraught with distribution difficulties before finding its first audience overseas. While a minor commercial success domestically,in its theatrical run, the film grossed $2.4 million, even though original critical reception was positive,but though the years the film built a much larger reputation. And after considerable word of mouth (and a glowing endorsement from horror author Stephen King), the film became a hit on home video, where it achieved further notoriety thanks to its highly-publicized banning in Britain amid the notorious "Video Nasties" censorship campaign.Only adding to it's cult following, it suffered at the hands of the then censor, abd was heavily cut for video release, it took a decade later before it was released uncut. Raimi, along with producer Robert Tapert, writer Scott Spiegel and much of the same crew, cranked up the story's comic aspects several dozen notches for the rollicking semi-remake, Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.

Make no mistake here like Carpenters Halloween, this is Sam Raimi's masterpiece of terror here,that I believe stands the test of time, and very few films do still look this good. Yes by todays CGI filled gore fests it looks cheap and low budget, but it still has that kick ass feel, it still chills and makes you laugh at the wrong moments, it still has scenes to make you reach for the sick bag, and looks like the most dark fairy tale you could imagine. You can put this film up against any of today's so called horror films and I guarantee you this scares you more, for this is what nightmares would look like if captured on film, and at no time to you get some light relief as it pounds your mind with image after image, of bone grinding death of many shades. Including one of the most dream like yet gut turning disgusting rapes ever put to film, a scene that only got back into the film in the early 90's dvd re release. Raimi cares about his movie and he does everything to make you feel the terror that the cabin people fee, in the cabin in the woods, trapped and alone from the world of cell phones and cops at the end of a phone. The whole concept of a book that is Evil is wonderful, it also feels like he took Snow White and turned it inside out, the visuals are so much like Disneys classic yet twisted to breaking point. 

Raimi's camera work is truly masterful for a first feature using fast camera work and aggressive shots, he created an eerie world that is sometimes hard to look at but too entertaining to turn away from. His style from behind the camera is perfectly exemplified in the beginning of the film, where the camera alone creates enough atmosphere to leave you biting your nails in suspense of what's to come. You feel that at any moment someone is going to get their neck chomped on by some zombie hiding just out of view, or maybe it's a nightmare they and you can escape. This is in my book one of the most impressive openings I can think of with a perfect blend in pacing and atmosphere, and it's only the opener, for it gets even better once the action/gore starts. Some of the shots that are hand held and take you roaring through the woods then up over the cabin, or sometimes through the cabin are awesome. In the more subdued moments which seem to go on hold for a seeming eternity, yet only last seconds you feel the tension mount to breaking point. But it's only a trick as it's unrestrained gore and brutal violence explodes on screen, with all manner of death dealt out to the collage kids, but i'm not giving anymore away, for in case by some misfortune you have not seen this classic. Another impressive shots is where the darkness from the trees begins to chase people, knocking any tree or obstacle down that happens to be in it's way, a magnificent technique, which if you have the making of still surprises you how they did it.

In my opinion, you must see this before you watch the remake which is due soon, for this is by far the best of the trilogy, and although to some 2 was the better, it was only better in the comedy level, and money pumped into it. Yes there could have been more of the chainsaw like in the second, but for a first film, and zombie cult classic this is the definitive Evil Dead film and probably always will be.And this is  Bruce Campbell as Ash, at his most manic best, the badass of all zombie killers, a hero of his time and now a cult icon, for Campbell is Ash, period, and always will be, the new film lacks this main ingredient along with I think it's dark dark feel. For i feel it succeeds over it's sequels due to it's increased violence and lack of humour in comparison, it is out to shock with it's buckets of blood, gore, camera work, and it's shock factor still works even today. If you've ever liked any horror film, this is an absolute must-see, it is a milestone in cinema history, it is a masterpiece of horror, a true cult classic like no other, I can only score it one way, and wonder why I waited till now to review and post on our thread.10/10

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14899
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 8/4/2013 7:45:38 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

Man with the Iron fists is Wu-Tang Clan's RZA take on the violent, badly dubbed but imaginative kung fu flicks of the 1970's. With the help of Quentin Tarantino and co-writer/ producer, Eli Roth, he stars, directs and pens this muddled, camp and noisy yarn about a group of mercenaries, bounty hunters, monsters and psychopaths arriving at the not so welcoming, Jungle Village to rob a shipment of gold. The only person that stands to protect the village is Smith the Blacksmith (RZA) who set up business there after being saved from death and trained by a bunch of zen loving monks. His dream is to make enough money to free his prostitute girlfriend, Lady Silk (Jamie Chung) from the clutches of her deadly mistress, Madam Blossom (Lucy Liu) and for them both to ride off into more peaceful pastures. Numerous characters appear to exchange insults and square up to each other including the perverted and pompous ex-soldier, Jack Knife (a fantastic Russell Crowe), a blade flicking expert called Zen-Yi (Rick Yune) and the metal formed giant, Brass Body (WWF star, Dave Bautista). When one of the nastiest of the villain gangs hack off Smith's hands for harbouring a wounded opponent, the blacksmith uses his yen training to infuse two iron hands to his arms and backbone. Most of the action, including the explosive and messy climax, takes place in Madam Blossom's House of Pleasure (erhem!). The winner will take all.

RZA's first stab at the martial arts genre is far from perfect. The dialogue is sloppy and some of the acting, including Mr RZA himself, is fairly poor. Sometimes the stylised camerawork and loud hip-hop soundtrack becomes a little overbearing and tiresome also. However there is no doubt that there is much fun to be had in what amounts to one big, bloody and visually stunning set piece. Heads roll, bones smash and blood sprays all over the place as one action scene follows another. Perhaps the best square off is between Smith and Brass Body as they both proceed to smash lumps out of each other. The sets and costumes are worth some praise also with the House of Pleasure fusing Chinese design with the interiors of the Moulin Rouge.

Although the acting consists of macho threats and boasting, Russell Crowe seems to be having great fun in his most flamboyant role for some time. He is hilarious as the sex starved mercenary, Jack Knife. He warns a group of hookers, 'You are business [Looks at his knife], this is pleasure' or the classic line, 'My name is Mr Knife! You can call me Jack'. Lucy Liu is also happy to ham it up in a similar role to her mafia boss in Kill Bill. A scene where she orchestrates the slaughter of a male clan by the many members of her Silken Hookers is gruesome but well orchestrated.

Man with the Iron Fists is a slick, fast moving and gory little actioner that isn't ashamed to camp things up into top gear. Although it misses the mark on a few occasions, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be more than a few kung fu fans eager to add this to their collection.

Sounds like a real class Kung Fu Kick Ass film to me, one I will have to buy.

Now during the Weekend I decided to go see;

DARK SKIES (2013)

As husband and wife Daniel and Lacey Barret witness an escalating series of disturbing events involving their family, their safe and peaceful home quickly unravels. When it becomes clear that the Barret family is being targeted by an unimaginably terrifying and deadly force, Daniel and Lacey take matters in their own hands to solve the mystery of what is after their family.

The story is not that original if you've seen as many films as I've seen, but I did like this producers past couple of films, but be warned though it's a chiller it's not as good as INSIDIOUS, but it still has some good scare scenes. More like Spielberg's type of film but on a tighter budget, sort of Close Encounters Meets Poltergeist, a decent Sunday viewing experience on the big screen, with some good frightening scenes spread throughout. It was written and directed by Scott Stewart who also directed the sci-fi thrillers LEGION and PRIEST, which to be honest did not impress me at all, but lucky for me I did not realise this was the same director, as I might of gave it a miss. Which would have been a shame, for this is more a good psychological thriller than horror film, or Sci/Fi though it has elements of both Horror and Sci/fi, but if you're thinking you're going to be in for any kind of brilliant sci-fi visual experience, wrong film. If your looking for a gore fest, wrong film, for this small film with a budget of $3.5 million, relies heavily on story and acting, and it is without doubt the performances that save this film from being below average.

The best thing going for this film is Josh Russell and Keri Hamilton turning in good,believable performances, as the byoung couple that find there world of there family being tore apart around them. Also big cheers to the children who help rack up the fear factor, and that's down to the acting skills of Dakota Goyo and Kadam Rockett , and the rest of the cast did a fine job, in there small but important roles. And as I said the story keeps your interest, but is never taxing, a bit like THE BOX of a few years back, where it too kept you guessing but never tried to be over smart. This also for such a small budget has production value that is up there with any larger budget Hollywood film, and for me the lack of CGI is a reminder you don't need to dazzle us to make a good film. I tend to fall for this sort of small compact film, though like The Box this will work well on the small screen, so if you miss this on the big screen give it a go when it hits the Video Rental shop near you. It's by no means a great film, or even a B Movie classic, but it delivers enough in atmosphere, acting, visual flair and story to give a good nights entertainment, and with a few decent scares to boot. Down side is I've seen this all before, and the directing is average at best, but as I said the cast save this from being a -5/10 film, it entertained me surprisingly well so 6/10.

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 14900
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/4/2013 9:59:12 PM   
dannyfletch

After watching The Hobbit again on blu ray it has now engraved itself as a firm favourite of mine. Even better second time round and it now happily sits beside Lord of the Rings in my collection

Interesting to find out that John Boorman, who has given us great films such as the excellent Excalibur, Deliverance and the cult oddity Zardoz was once on the cards and came very close to making Lord of the Rings. Makes me wonder what a 70's version would've been like and who would've played the characters? Apparently he wanted child actors in make up to play Hobbits and Gollum. Maybe good old Sean Connery as Aragorn, Oliver Reed as Gimli ( I don't give a damn if he wasn't short enough, he would've been perfect!), Michael York as Legolas, Vanessa Redgrave as Galadriel, Sir John Gielgud as Gandalf. Not sure about the rest though?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14901
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 10/4/2013 8:09:28 PM   
evil bill

quote:

After watching The Hobbit again on blu ray it has now engraved itself as a firm favourite of mine. Even better second time round and it now happily sits beside Lord of the Rings in my collection

Interesting to find out that John Boorman, who has given us great films such as the excellent Excalibur, Deliverance and the cult oddity Zardoz was once on the cards and came very close to making Lord of the Rings. Makes me wonder what a 70's version would've been like and who would've played the characters? Apparently he wanted child actors in make up to play Hobbits and Gollum. Maybe good old Sean Connery as Aragorn, Oliver Reed as Gimli ( I don't give a damn if he wasn't short enough, he would've been perfect!), Michael York as Legolas, Vanessa Redgrave as Galadriel, Sir John Gielgud as Gandalf. Not sure about the rest though?

Now I've still to get my Blu-Ray copy, but love your idea of who would have been picked for Lord Of The Rings if Boorman had of been given the go ahead.Only problem the effects and budget would not of gave us the Peter Jackson masterpiece, and no Hobbit, in fact it may have been the death nail for it to be remade.

Post #: 14902
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/4/2013 6:00:07 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

Sounds like a real class Kung Fu Kick Ass film to me, one I will have to buy.

Now during the Weekend I decided to go see;

DARK SKIES (2013)

As husband and wife Daniel and Lacey Barret witness an escalating series of disturbing events involving their family, their safe and peaceful home quickly unravels. When it becomes clear that the Barret family is being targeted by an unimaginably terrifying and deadly force, Daniel and Lacey take matters in their own hands to solve the mystery of what is after their family.

The story is not that original if you've seen as many films as I've seen, but I did like this producers past couple of films, but be warned though it's a chiller it's not as good as INSIDIOUS, but it still has some good scare scenes. More like Spielberg's type of film but on a tighter budget, sort of Close Encounters Meets Poltergeist, a decent Sunday viewing experience on the big screen, with some good frightening scenes spread throughout. It was written and directed by Scott Stewart who also directed the sci-fi thrillers LEGION and PRIEST, which to be honest did not impress me at all, but lucky for me I did not realise this was the same director, as I might of gave it a miss. Which would have been a shame, for this is more a good psychological thriller than horror film, or Sci/Fi though it has elements of both Horror and Sci/fi, but if you're thinking you're going to be in for any kind of brilliant sci-fi visual experience, wrong film. If your looking for a gore fest, wrong film, for this small film with a budget of $3.5 million, relies heavily on story and acting, and it is without doubt the performances that save this film from being below average.

The best thing going for this film is Josh Russell and Keri Hamilton turning in good,believable performances, as the byoung couple that find there world of there family being tore apart around them. Also big cheers to the children who help rack up the fear factor, and that's down to the acting skills of Dakota Goyo and Kadam Rockett , and the rest of the cast did a fine job, in there small but important roles. And as I said the story keeps your interest, but is never taxing, a bit like THE BOX of a few years back, where it too kept you guessing but never tried to be over smart. This also for such a small budget has production value that is up there with any larger budget Hollywood film, and for me the lack of CGI is a reminder you don't need to dazzle us to make a good film. I tend to fall for this sort of small compact film, though like The Box this will work well on the small screen, so if you miss this on the big screen give it a go when it hits the Video Rental shop near you. It's by no means a great film, or even a B Movie classic, but it delivers enough in atmosphere, acting, visual flair and story to give a good nights entertainment, and with a few decent scares to boot. Down side is I've seen this all before, and the directing is average at best, but as I said the cast save this from being a -5/10 film, it entertained me surprisingly well so 6/10.

Meant to see this this this week but been so busy, will try find the time next week as going by your review it's better than the general critical opinion at least.

And that Evil Dead review is one of your best. Though I will say I don't mind Army of Darkness, it's silly fun that usually gets me smiling.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 11/4/2013 6:01:49 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14903
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/4/2013 6:03:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

I read an article about this proposed version years ago. From what I remember it had quite a bit of sex in it [I think Frodo shags Galadriel!]. I don't think it would have been Tolkien, but it would have been interesting....

Post #: 14904
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/4/2013 6:08:13 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

GI JOE: RETALIATION

I am a huge fan of Stephen Sommers’ GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and I’m not ashamed to say it ranks as one of my favourite action FX movies of the last few years. I think he got it pretty much exactly right. I say pretty much as Marlon Wayans is very annoying in it and the ever popular Channing Tatum makes for a wooden lead. Despite this I loved the action and the gadgets on display and thought the storyline was a lot of fun. I definitely wanted a sequel.

So this brings us round to GI Joe: Retalitation, finally released in 2013 after the last minute delay to convert to 3D and add a few extra Channing Tatum scenes. I was actually quite positive about the choice of director on this, despite many naysayers I think John M. Chu has quite a cool visual style. I really like his Step Up 3 in 3D, not that I’m into dance movies necessarily but he stages everything very well and makes great use of the extra dimensions.

I enjoyed GI Joe: Retalitation a lot. For me it doesn’t reach the heights of the first one (I haven’t seen a sequence in a long time that has topped the Paris chase scene in that) but it delivers a lot of fun and some great action during its succinct running time. The flipside to this is that the dialogue is absolutely terrible for the most part and the story even worse. There are some superb facepalm moments in this movie, with the best being a scene towards the end when the fake President (Zartan) starts trolling everybody. Watch the movie and you’ll see what I mean, it really is one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes I’ve seen in a good while. Generally the cast equips themselves well. Almost all of the key cast from the first movie has been jettisoned. Tatum’s role is miniscule (I’m not complaining) and the only other familiar faces are Jonathan Pryce, Byung Hun-Lee, Ray Park and a brief cameo from Arnold Vosloo. Adrianne Palicki as Jaye is absolutely stunning and was a real highlight for obvious reasons, the most obvious being that red dress.

Dwayne Johnson delivers his usual performance in the lead role. I think he’s generally good but is a bit bland and wish he was given better dialogue. Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes receive a lot of screen time and have quite a bit of side story devoted to them. Unfortunately this paves the way for a brief but memorably horrendous performance from RZA as a blind shaolin master. He really sucks. Jonathan Pryce is having a lot of fun playing the dual roles of President and Zartan but he must have thought the script was ridiculous. Ray Stevenson is a memorable Henchman in this and brings a welcome presence to the villains of the piece, headed by Cobra Commander.

The visual FX have been toned down and pared back somewhat from the previous instalment which is a shame as that’s one of the aspects I love most. They’ve definitely attempted to go for a more grounded approach, which I still enjoy. The most memorable sequence in the entire movie is a thrilling set pieces set on the side of a snow covered mountain as Snake Eyes and Jinx are forced to take on a battalion of ninjas as they try to escape. The whole scene is amazingly well executed and has great visual FX and pacing. It is even better viewed in 3D, marking it as a real standout 3D sequence not only in the movie, but so far this year. Overall, the 3D conversion is excellent and was absolutely worth the time and effort invested in it. I would rate it on a par with Titanic or The Avengers, two of the best converted titles out there. Post conversions are getting so good now they look better than a lot of native 3D movies.

I can thoroughly recommend GI Joe: Retaliation to action junkies and fans of the first movie. It’s far from perfect, the dialogue is woeful and characterisation almost non existent but it is a lot of fun and just wants to provide us with fun action and colourful costumes and characters. The finale could have done with being bigger and more large scale. The stakes are big, but the setting is fairly low key considering the events unfolding. This is a minor flaw though and I think the mountain sequence is worth the price of admission alone, it really is excellent. So overall it’s worth checking out when given the chance and it at least does continue the story from the first, lending some decent continuity despite featuring primarily new characters.

Your reviews are getting very impressive mate. I agree with you in part about this film though I think I enjoyed it a lot less than you, I also loved the first GI Joe and thought this didn't come anywhere near it.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14905
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/4/2013 6:20:37 PM   
Dr Lenera

What with various stuff going on and all these Godzilla and Toho movies I'm doing on HCF, I've been less prolific on here of late.

The G.I. Joes are framed for stealing nuclear warheads from Pakistan by Zartan who is impersonating the President of the United States. The entire team is eliminated in a military strike except for Roadblock, Flint and Lady Jaye. Meanwhile, Storm Shadow and ex-Joe Firefly rescue Cobra Commander from a penitentiary in Germany, but when Storm Shadow is injured during the escape and retreats to a temple in the Himalayas to recover, The Blind Master sends Snake Eyes and his apprentice Jinx to capture him so he can answer for the murder of his uncle, the Hard Master. Roadblock, Flint, and Lady Jaye return to the US where they set up a base of operations in a rundown gym, and when Zartan announces that Cobra will replace the Joes as America’s main protective unit, they realise someone is impersonating the President….

Don’t shoot me, but I rather enjoyed the first movie, it was an enjoyably silly, over- the-top action movie, at least until it disappeared into CGI land for the final quarter like most Stephen Sommers film tend to do, and despite what you may have read it was not a commercial failure at all. Well, there’s less obvious CGI in this sequel, which retains a few of the first film’s characters [though don't worry, Mr. One Expression Channing Tatum isn’t around for long], but don’t believe the Rock when he says in the trailer that they’ve raised the bar, because they definitely haven’t. Aside from one exciting but too short ninja fight hanging from a mountain, there’s nothing in this to even approach the incredible Paris chase of the first film, and the attempt at a grittier, less science-fictional feel doesn’t really work when the whole thing is so ludicrous anyway. Say what you like about Sommers but the action in his movies is always visible; Jon M.Chu in this one goes more for the dreadful close-up, shaking-the-camera-about crap that is destroying modern action cinema. G.I.Joe: Retaliation is still fun if you switch your brain off, with a few well-placed laughs [check out where Bruce Willis hides his guns], and Dwayne Johnson remains that rarity, a convincing action hero who can act, but he needs to stop starring in all these average movies.

5.5/10

In the future, the human race has been assimilated by benevolent extraterrestrial psychic parasites called “Souls”. Human Melanie Stryder is captured by the Seeker while trying to find her family and infused with a soul called “Wanderer”, in order to discover the location of one of the last pockets of non-assimilated humans. However, Melanie survives the procedure and begins to struggle for control of her body. The Seeker decides to put Wanderer in a different body, but before she can do so Wanderer escapes with Melanie…..

So here we go again, another attempt to attract the hordes of teenage girls who felt like killing themselves when the last Twilight film ended [actually, so did I, but for a different reason], and this one is also based on a Stephanie Meyer book which had sequels. Guess what? It’s awful. Now I haven’t read [and never will] a Meyer book so I’ll take people’s words for it that her writing improved since Twilight. You wouldn’t know it from this film, which takes a half-decent premise [influenced by Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and The Puppet Masters, but that’s hardly bad] and, as with Twilight, like a vampire sucks all the life, energy and fun out of it. I don’t like to use the word ‘boring’ to describe a film, because a slow film can be as engrossing as a fast film, but it perfectly describes The Host which, in lieu of the story’s promise, spends most of its time on chatting [badly of course; once again Meyer characters just spell everything out] in caves, another excruciating love triangle, and Saoirse [o why, Saoirse, you’re one of the finest young actresses around today and this shit is beneath you] having a voice inside her head objecting to whatever she is doing. The society of trust-worthy aliens is neat and there’s some decent desert photography, but overall this is rubbish, and it appears to be flopping thank God.

3/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14906
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/4/2013 6:28:17 PM   
Dr Lenera

SPOILERS!

Martha and Jim Schmidt live on an isolated farm named ‘Our Blessing’, where most of its population are “Hittites”, an austere religious community who “make the Amish look like swingers”. Jim was a Hittite, but left the community when he got married. Jim tells a neighbour, Louisa Stohler, that his wife Martha is pregnant and that Louisa’s services as a mid-wife will soon be needed by them. Louisa and her daughter Faith are not part of the Hittite community either and Faith is being harassed by scar-faced Wiiliam Gluntz, who chases her and calls her, and all “outsides”, Incubi. That night, Jim searches in the barn after hearing strange noises from inside, but is murdered when a mysterious figure runs him over with his tractor…..

Deadly Blessing
is one of the least-talked about films from horror master Wes Craven [Scream, The Last House On The Left, A Nightmare On Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes], and it’s one of those movies that had always passed me by until now; even when it was TV twice I didn’t get to see it because I cocked up the recording. I’m now immensely irritated I had not seen it before, because it’s a really interesting and effective horror film with a lot going for it and a lot going on in it, even if in the end it’s a little muddled and not quite up there with Craven’s best work [though I would say it does reach it in certain scenes]. I guess some younger horror fans today may find it a little slow, as it spends as much time exploring the strange religious community it takes place in as it does trying to scare the audience, but it’s an intriguing transitional film, coming as it does from the period when the genre, and some of its greatest practitioners, were moving away from the more political, subversive and tough pictures of the 70’s to more playful, audience-pleasing material which in some cases shifted their main commentary to the actual genre itself.

Writer Glenn M. Benest had just written the TV movie Summer Of Fear [which is playing at an actual cinema in Deadly Blessing] for Craven, and for their next project was inspired by reading an article about the heavily religious Amish [this was before Witness], who turn their back on all modern appliances and virtually live in the Middle Ages. Shot mainly on a farm in Dallas, the film featured a mostly little-known cast including Sharon Stone, who, irritated by Craven’s direction which, like Alfred Hitchcock’s, didn’t focus much on the performers, shouted out in the middle of what was a calm set: “God damn it, would you direct me”? She also wouldn’t hold a spider until its teeth were removed, which made the spider very difficult to feed. The film was Craven’s first major studio release but Universal wanted a final shock like the ending of Carrie and made Craven shoot a final scene which doesn’t make much sense when compared with the rest of the film, introducing an overt supernatural aspect which had previously been hinted at and then dismissed, with one of the themes of the story being how it is humans who are the real demons, not imaginary beasts. In the UK the film was shown without the new ending, a rare instance during that time of the UK version of a film being the director’s preferred edit. It was a commercial success but soon got forgotten amidst all the horror films that were saturating theatres at the time.

The film opens with rather lovely music over stills of the film’s religious group the Hittites [their name taken from the Old Testament if you remember your Bible stories folks], clearly meant as a more extreme version of the Amish, and then when a narrator with a rather soothing voice tells us of these peaceful people over rather beautiful images of them at work, you’ll probably wonder if you’re watching a horror film at all. This is, of course, to deliberately wrong-foot the viewer, and the constantly overcast sky and the darkened colour of the fields [no bright yellow here] create a slightly ominous feel. We are introduced to the characters right away and things do start happening immediately, mostly involving the unforgettable face of Michael Berryman [The Hills Have Eyes, The Devil's Rejects], who, in a couple of scenes, really shows that when given a chance, he was actually not a bad actor. Then some killings start, and these are carefully built up to, though I should say right here that the gore is minimal. The exciting climax certainly delivers though, and you probably won’t guess who the killer actually is, though not everything makes sense, as if the script had been a bit rushed in the later stages of writing. You will also have seen the twist at least a couple of times before.

There is some nail-biting tension in this film. The highlight is a lengthy and really masterful sequence where Sharon Stone’s character is trapped in a barn, leading to one of the eeriest lofts I’ve seen in ages, all cobwebs and strange half-light, and climaxing in a great jump-scare which certainly worked for me even though I knew it was probably going to come. Craven is less interested in blood and guts then nightmarish and sometimes twistedly sexual imagery like a snake going between a woman’s legs and a spider being out into a woman’s mouth, some of which he would repeat in A Nightmare On Elm Street. Sometimes he goes back to archetypal horror imagery from the dawn of time, like when Berryman watches a woman strip. And he and the script concentrate a lot on the characters, and the increasingly tangled web of intrigue which we find amongst the Hittites. The film is clearly telling us that religious repression is wrong [Craven actually grew up in a very strict religious community] and can lead to trouble, though it takes time to characterise the Hittites properly, even their cruel and even violent leader, played by Ernest Borgnine with his typical charisma. While certain parts of the story don’t entirely hold up in the light of day, or could have done with some more minutes of screen time to explain things more clearly, the characters do mostly feel like real people in this film.

This may be Craven’s most visually pleasing picture. Cinematographer Robert Jessop cleverly gives the rural world of the Hittites an austere beauty, a sense of a world which has had its life and joy sucked out of it yet still retains echoes of its original lushness. He seems to tint many shots to take the colour out of them without going overboard the way many modern films do. Platinum Dunes seems to have borrowed the look of this film for some of their films, especially their remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but emphasising the ugliness rather than the beauty. There are some stunning shots, such as when five Hittites appear in the distance over the ridge of a hill overlooking a graveyard [which was actually a set, though you wouldn't know it], looming menacingly over the funeral taking place below. Throughout, James Horner’s fine score, sometimes rather pretty, more often than not quite frightening with good use of the sound of religious praying incorporated into some cues, accentuates the story. Though he went on to become one of Hollywood’s most successful film composers with things like Titanic, I think he did much of his most interesting work in his early scores for films like this and his Roger Corman efforts. You can see the Horner sound developing but he’s constantly experimenting and more than that having fun!

The acting in this movie is more of a mixed bag; I’ve mentioned some of the good stuff, but Susan Buckner and Maren Jensen are not really strong enough in their roles, and Sharon Stone is just dreadful, but I can almost forgive her, as she’s drop-dead-gorgeous, and she did get better after a while. Deadly Blessing is rather uneven and some things in it needed fine-tuning, but sometimes films like this are more interesting than movies where everything is perfect. Craven really seems to be enjoying himself with it. I have a feeling that, having finally got to seeing this film, I’ll be returning to it a lot, and as for the ending, which just made me laugh rather than jump……I can just skip it. Though the design of the demon, though you can barely see it, is actually quite good.

Rating: 7.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14907
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 12/4/2013 6:00:11 PM   
evil bill

quote:

In the future, the human race has been assimilated by benevolent extraterrestrial psychic parasites called "Souls”. Human Melanie Stryder is captured by the Seeker while trying to find her family and infused with a soul called "Wanderer”, in order to discover the location of one of the last pockets of non-assimilated humans. However, Melanie survives the procedure and begins to struggle for control of her body. The Seeker decides to put Wanderer in a different body, but before she can do so Wanderer escapes with Melanie…..

So here we go again, another attempt to attract the hordes of teenage girls who felt like killing themselves when the last Twilight film ended [actually, so did I, but for a different reason], and this one is also based on a Stephanie Meyer book which had sequels. Guess what? It's awful. Now I haven't read [and never will] a Meyer book so I'll take people's words for it that her writing improved since Twilight. You wouldn't know it from this film, which takes a half-decent premise [influenced by Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and The Puppet Masters, but that's hardly bad] and, as with Twilight, like a vampire sucks all the life, energy and fun out of it. I don't like to use the word 'boring' to describe a film, because a slow film can be as engrossing as a fast film, but it perfectly describes The Host which, in lieu of the story's promise, spends most of its time on chatting [badly of course; once again Meyer characters just spell everything out] in caves, another excruciating love triangle, and Saoirse [o why, Saoirse, you're one of the finest young actresses around today and this shit is beneath you] having a voice inside her head objecting to whatever she is doing. The society of trust-worthy aliens is neat and there's some decent desert photography, but overall this is rubbish, and it appears to be flopping thank God.

3/10

Could not agree more went to see this on Tuesday, and it was well below average in all departments, and I would only give it 2/10 only I like Saoirse, who get's the extra point 3/10.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14908
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 12/4/2013 6:05:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

SPOILERS!

Martha and Jim Schmidt live on an isolated farm named 'Our Blessing', where most of its population are "Hittites”, an austere religious community who "make the Amish look like swingers”. Jim was a Hittite, but left the community when he got married. Jim tells a neighbour, Louisa Stohler, that his wife Martha is pregnant and that Louisa's services as a mid-wife will soon be needed by them. Louisa and her daughter Faith are not part of the Hittite community either and Faith is being harassed by scar-faced Wiiliam Gluntz, who chases her and calls her, and all "outsides”, Incubi. That night, Jim searches in the barn after hearing strange noises from inside, but is murdered when a mysterious figure runs him over with his tractor…..

Deadly Blessing
is one of the least-talked about films from horror master Wes Craven [Scream, The Last House On The Left, A Nightmare On Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes], and it's one of those movies that had always passed me by until now; even when it was TV twice I didn't get to see it because I cocked up the recording. I'm now immensely irritated I had not seen it before, because it's a really interesting and effective horror film with a lot going for it and a lot going on in it, even if in the end it's a little muddled and not quite up there with Craven's best work [though I would say it does reach it in certain scenes]. I guess some younger horror fans today may find it a little slow, as it spends as much time exploring the strange religious community it takes place in as it does trying to scare the audience, but it's an intriguing transitional film, coming as it does from the period when the genre, and some of its greatest practitioners, were moving away from the more political, subversive and tough pictures of the 70's to more playful, audience-pleasing material which in some cases shifted their main commentary to the actual genre itself.

Writer Glenn M. Benest had just written the TV movie Summer Of Fear [which is playing at an actual cinema in Deadly Blessing] for Craven, and for their next project was inspired by reading an article about the heavily religious Amish [this was before Witness], who turn their back on all modern appliances and virtually live in the Middle Ages. Shot mainly on a farm in Dallas, the film featured a mostly little-known cast including Sharon Stone, who, irritated by Craven's direction which, like Alfred Hitchcock's, didn't focus much on the performers, shouted out in the middle of what was a calm set: "God damn it, would you direct me”? She also wouldn't hold a spider until its teeth were removed, which made the spider very difficult to feed. The film was Craven's first major studio release but Universal wanted a final shock like the ending of Carrie and made Craven shoot a final scene which doesn't make much sense when compared with the rest of the film, introducing an overt supernatural aspect which had previously been hinted at and then dismissed, with one of the themes of the story being how it is humans who are the real demons, not imaginary beasts. In the UK the film was shown without the new ending, a rare instance during that time of the UK version of a film being the director's preferred edit. It was a commercial success but soon got forgotten amidst all the horror films that were saturating theatres at the time.

The film opens with rather lovely music over stills of the film's religious group the Hittites [their name taken from the Old Testament if you remember your Bible stories folks], clearly meant as a more extreme version of the Amish, and then when a narrator with a rather soothing voice tells us of these peaceful people over rather beautiful images of them at work, you'll probably wonder if you're watching a horror film at all. This is, of course, to deliberately wrong-foot the viewer, and the constantly overcast sky and the darkened colour of the fields [no bright yellow here] create a slightly ominous feel. We are introduced to the characters right away and things do start happening immediately, mostly involving the unforgettable face of Michael Berryman [The Hills Have Eyes, The Devil's Rejects], who, in a couple of scenes, really shows that when given a chance, he was actually not a bad actor. Then some killings start, and these are carefully built up to, though I should say right here that the gore is minimal. The exciting climax certainly delivers though, and you probably won't guess who the killer actually is, though not everything makes sense, as if the script had been a bit rushed in the later stages of writing. You will also have seen the twist at least a couple of times before.

There is some nail-biting tension in this film. The highlight is a lengthy and really masterful sequence where Sharon Stone's character is trapped in a barn, leading to one of the eeriest lofts I've seen in ages, all cobwebs and strange half-light, and climaxing in a great jump-scare which certainly worked for me even though I knew it was probably going to come. Craven is less interested in blood and guts then nightmarish and sometimes twistedly sexual imagery like a snake going between a woman's legs and a spider being out into a woman's mouth, some of which he would repeat in A Nightmare On Elm Street. Sometimes he goes back to archetypal horror imagery from the dawn of time, like when Berryman watches a woman strip. And he and the script concentrate a lot on the characters, and the increasingly tangled web of intrigue which we find amongst the Hittites. The film is clearly telling us that religious repression is wrong [Craven actually grew up in a very strict religious community] and can lead to trouble, though it takes time to characterise the Hittites properly, even their cruel and even violent leader, played by Ernest Borgnine with his typical charisma. While certain parts of the story don't entirely hold up in the light of day, or could have done with some more minutes of screen time to explain things more clearly, the characters do mostly feel like real people in this film.

This may be Craven's most visually pleasing picture. Cinematographer Robert Jessop cleverly gives the rural world of the Hittites an austere beauty, a sense of a world which has had its life and joy sucked out of it yet still retains echoes of its original lushness. He seems to tint many shots to take the colour out of them without going overboard the way many modern films do. Platinum Dunes seems to have borrowed the look of this film for some of their films, especially their remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but emphasising the ugliness rather than the beauty. There are some stunning shots, such as when five Hittites appear in the distance over the ridge of a hill overlooking a graveyard [which was actually a set, though you wouldn't know it], looming menacingly over the funeral taking place below. Throughout, James Horner's fine score, sometimes rather pretty, more often than not quite frightening with good use of the sound of religious praying incorporated into some cues, accentuates the story. Though he went on to become one of Hollywood's most successful film composers with things like Titanic, I think he did much of his most interesting work in his early scores for films like this and his Roger Corman efforts. You can see the Horner sound developing but he's constantly experimenting and more than that having fun!

The acting in this movie is more of a mixed bag; I've mentioned some of the good stuff, but Susan Buckner and Maren Jensen are not really strong enough in their roles, and Sharon Stone is just dreadful, but I can almost forgive her, as she's drop-dead-gorgeous, and she did get better after a while. Deadly Blessing is rather uneven and some things in it needed fine-tuning, but sometimes films like this are more interesting than movies where everything is perfect. Craven really seems to be enjoying himself with it. I have a feeling that, having finally got to seeing this film, I'll be returning to it a lot, and as for the ending, which just made me laugh rather than jump……I can just skip it. Though the design of the demon, though you can barely see it, is actually quite good.

I reviewed this a long while back but it was only a short review, thank you for giving this little gem a more informed review, and hopefully it will get a few more fans, I love it. Yeah the acting sucks at times but it is one of Craven's forgotten classics and looks stunning in places with a chilling soundtrack to boot, plus well directed.7/10.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14909
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 13/4/2013 3:35:55 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

SPOILERS!

Martha and Jim Schmidt live on an isolated farm named ‘Our Blessing’, where most of its population are “Hittites”, an austere religious community who “make the Amish look like swingers”. Jim was a Hittite, but left the community when he got married. Jim tells a neighbour, Louisa Stohler, that his wife Martha is pregnant and that Louisa’s services as a mid-wife will soon be needed by them. Louisa and her daughter Faith are not part of the Hittite community either and Faith is being harassed by scar-faced Wiiliam Gluntz, who chases her and calls her, and all “outsides”, Incubi. That night, Jim searches in the barn after hearing strange noises from inside, but is murdered when a mysterious figure runs him over with his tractor…..

Deadly Blessing
is one of the least-talked about films from horror master Wes Craven [Scream, The Last House On The Left, A Nightmare On Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes], and it’s one of those movies that had always passed me by until now; even when it was TV twice I didn’t get to see it because I cocked up the recording. I’m now immensely irritated I had not seen it before, because it’s a really interesting and effective horror film with a lot going for it and a lot going on in it, even if in the end it’s a little muddled and not quite up there with Craven’s best work [though I would say it does reach it in certain scenes]. I guess some younger horror fans today may find it a little slow, as it spends as much time exploring the strange religious community it takes place in as it does trying to scare the audience, but it’s an intriguing transitional film, coming as it does from the period when the genre, and some of its greatest practitioners, were moving away from the more political, subversive and tough pictures of the 70’s to more playful, audience-pleasing material which in some cases shifted their main commentary to the actual genre itself.

Writer Glenn M. Benest had just written the TV movie Summer Of Fear [which is playing at an actual cinema in Deadly Blessing] for Craven, and for their next project was inspired by reading an article about the heavily religious Amish [this was before Witness], who turn their back on all modern appliances and virtually live in the Middle Ages. Shot mainly on a farm in Dallas, the film featured a mostly little-known cast including Sharon Stone, who, irritated by Craven’s direction which, like Alfred Hitchcock’s, didn’t focus much on the performers, shouted out in the middle of what was a calm set: “God damn it, would you direct me”? She also wouldn’t hold a spider until its teeth were removed, which made the spider very difficult to feed. The film was Craven’s first major studio release but Universal wanted a final shock like the ending of Carrie and made Craven shoot a final scene which doesn’t make much sense when compared with the rest of the film, introducing an overt supernatural aspect which had previously been hinted at and then dismissed, with one of the themes of the story being how it is humans who are the real demons, not imaginary beasts. In the UK the film was shown without the new ending, a rare instance during that time of the UK version of a film being the director’s preferred edit. It was a commercial success but soon got forgotten amidst all the horror films that were saturating theatres at the time.

The film opens with rather lovely music over stills of the film’s religious group the Hittites [their name taken from the Old Testament if you remember your Bible stories folks], clearly meant as a more extreme version of the Amish, and then when a narrator with a rather soothing voice tells us of these peaceful people over rather beautiful images of them at work, you’ll probably wonder if you’re watching a horror film at all. This is, of course, to deliberately wrong-foot the viewer, and the constantly overcast sky and the darkened colour of the fields [no bright yellow here] create a slightly ominous feel. We are introduced to the characters right away and things do start happening immediately, mostly involving the unforgettable face of Michael Berryman [The Hills Have Eyes, The Devil's Rejects], who, in a couple of scenes, really shows that when given a chance, he was actually not a bad actor. Then some killings start, and these are carefully built up to, though I should say right here that the gore is minimal. The exciting climax certainly delivers though, and you probably won’t guess who the killer actually is, though not everything makes sense, as if the script had been a bit rushed in the later stages of writing. You will also have seen the twist at least a couple of times before.

There is some nail-biting tension in this film. The highlight is a lengthy and really masterful sequence where Sharon Stone’s character is trapped in a barn, leading to one of the eeriest lofts I’ve seen in ages, all cobwebs and strange half-light, and climaxing in a great jump-scare which certainly worked for me even though I knew it was probably going to come. Craven is less interested in blood and guts then nightmarish and sometimes twistedly sexual imagery like a snake going between a woman’s legs and a spider being out into a woman’s mouth, some of which he would repeat in A Nightmare On Elm Street. Sometimes he goes back to archetypal horror imagery from the dawn of time, like when Berryman watches a woman strip. And he and the script concentrate a lot on the characters, and the increasingly tangled web of intrigue which we find amongst the Hittites. The film is clearly telling us that religious repression is wrong [Craven actually grew up in a very strict religious community] and can lead to trouble, though it takes time to characterise the Hittites properly, even their cruel and even violent leader, played by Ernest Borgnine with his typical charisma. While certain parts of the story don’t entirely hold up in the light of day, or could have done with some more minutes of screen time to explain things more clearly, the characters do mostly feel like real people in this film.

This may be Craven’s most visually pleasing picture. Cinematographer Robert Jessop cleverly gives the rural world of the Hittites an austere beauty, a sense of a world which has had its life and joy sucked out of it yet still retains echoes of its original lushness. He seems to tint many shots to take the colour out of them without going overboard the way many modern films do. Platinum Dunes seems to have borrowed the look of this film for some of their films, especially their remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but emphasising the ugliness rather than the beauty. There are some stunning shots, such as when five Hittites appear in the distance over the ridge of a hill overlooking a graveyard [which was actually a set, though you wouldn't know it], looming menacingly over the funeral taking place below. Throughout, James Horner’s fine score, sometimes rather pretty, more often than not quite frightening with good use of the sound of religious praying incorporated into some cues, accentuates the story. Though he went on to become one of Hollywood’s most successful film composers with things like Titanic, I think he did much of his most interesting work in his early scores for films like this and his Roger Corman efforts. You can see the Horner sound developing but he’s constantly experimenting and more than that having fun!

The acting in this movie is more of a mixed bag; I’ve mentioned some of the good stuff, but Susan Buckner and Maren Jensen are not really strong enough in their roles, and Sharon Stone is just dreadful, but I can almost forgive her, as she’s drop-dead-gorgeous, and she did get better after a while. Deadly Blessing is rather uneven and some things in it needed fine-tuning, but sometimes films like this are more interesting than movies where everything is perfect. Craven really seems to be enjoying himself with it. I have a feeling that, having finally got to seeing this film, I’ll be returning to it a lot, and as for the ending, which just made me laugh rather than jump……I can just skip it. Though the design of the demon, though you can barely see it, is actually quite good.

I actually found this to be a disappointment, it's rather boring, and doesn't seem to go anywhere. The ending is, frankly, too ridiculous, i found it hard to take seriously.

Speaking of Wes Craven, I watched My Soul to Take last night. Without a doubt, his worst film. The story is interesting, but the film is completely flat and unconvincing, and the killer is just dreadful. A complete mess, it doesn't know whether it's a teen drama or supernatural horror at times.

Also watched a European curio called Castle of the Living Dead, which features Christopher Lee as a mad scientist who kills unsuspecting tourists and embalms them so that they will stay youthful in death. Lee is charismatic as ever, but the film is just too OTT and dull, really lacklustre.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14910
Page:   <<   < prev  495 496 [497] 498 499   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  495 496 [497] 498 499   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI