Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  494 495 [496] 497 498   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/3/2013 9:19:33 AM   
dannyfletch

I totally agree with your opinion on ISOYG, the remake is pretty bog standard and tries so hard to shock but just fails to convince. The original is a true cult low budget classic that I felt was pretty grim and gritty stuff. Everyone is on the bandwagon with horror remakes these days, although as much as I love the original I am kind of looking forward to the Evil Dead remake as it looks pretty good from the trailer. Lets hope it surprises us!
Maniac does indeed look and sound good and going by what people are saying, it is much more than just a remake.

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 11/3/2013 9:20:05 AM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14851
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 7:42:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

***SOME MINOR GORE SPOILERS***

Well i'm back and I saw MANIAC (2012) on Thursday night... so you want to know my thoughts...

I remember when I first saw the original, it was the UK cut version and I have to say I was rather bored by its slow moving narrative. However, towards the end of last year I imported the 30th Anniversary uncut BU edition from the US and watched it again and found a totally different film, a really decent arthouse flick with a grimy feel to it that left a lasting impression. So, off I went to see the remake with high hopes as it has garnered much praise. Elijah Wood in the lead does a decent job, his recent foray into the absurd with Wilfred (well worth checking out if you haven't already) meant that I didn't have any trouble seperating him from being a knife wielding, scalping hobbit! Much of the film is shot from his POV and this works really well in the main apart from one glaring scene-to-scene after he's been spying on a woman in a locker and he couldn't possibly have got outside before her. The film has some graphic violence in it but the scalping scenes look rather ridiculous in that apart from one killing where it actually looks more realistic, he seems to do the task rather too easily and with very little exhertion. There is also a certain scene which mirrors the knife/breast scene from the original and I am quite surprised it got passed uncut here tbh as it shows very realistic cutting across a woman's back. Oh and the pre-title opening scene sets the tone of the film very early on!

The film basically updates the original whilst maintaining the arthouse tone but losing some of the grimy feel, so we see Frank using an internet dating site but at the same time it also has him wearing fashions which wouldn't be out of place in the 70s and the female artist he eventually becomes obssessed with does an art show which wouldn't be out of place in the 80s... A special mention should go to the soundtrack as the sound effects are ramped up so you hear every cut, stab, grating very clearly and the score by Rob is stunning (I want the soundtrack!), it is very reminscent of how music was used in the Ryan Gosling film Drive. It also compliments the cinematography very well although again the film essentially follows the same blueprint as the original in this aspect. Also, the ending is slightly updated and works very well but again...

...This is another area where the film really falls down for me, imho it basically just updates the original rather than bringing anything new to the table. I saw it at the Grimm Up North screening and quite a few folks were commenting after what a hard slog it was to watch, i.e. slow/boring, so the film actually manages to maintain that ennui I felt when I first watched the original. I think ISOYG really set a high standard for remakes even though TCSM had done a great job before it, ISOYG bettered it (even TLHOTL remake was good), i.e. they all brought something new to it whilst paying homage to the original.

MANIAC (2012) is a valiant effort and is worth checking out. I believe it's getting a limited cinema release and tbh I can't see this one being too long away from DVD/BR as it's certainly not for everyone. I'm a completist so obviously I'll be buying it on BR when it comes out but overall I still can't get past that nagging feeling that it was just all a little pointless and the original is much better.

Overall: 4/5

I see we agree that the original fully uncut version is pretty grim and worth watching, yet disagree on ISOYG, as I feel the original is the better, but I will give this a try. Nice to see you doing acv more in depth review, at  this rate of going you may just strart over taking  the dr for long reviews.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14852
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 9:09:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

On Los Angelesí skid row, penny-pinching Gravis Mushnick owns a florist shop and employs sweet but simple Audrey Fulquard and clumsy, downtrodden Seymour Krelboyn. The rundown shop gets little business, and when Seymour fouls up dentist Dr. Farbís flower arrangement, Mushnick fires him. Hoping Mushnick will change his mind, Seymour tells him about a special plant that he crossbred from a butterwort and a Venus Flytrap, a plant that he calls Audrey Jr. Musnick is unimpressed by its sickly, drooping look but gives Seymour one week to revive it. When Seymour accidentally pricks his finger on another thorny plant, Audrey Jr. opens wider, eventually causing Seymour to discover that the plant craves bloodÖ..

The Little Shop Of Horrors is famous in cult movie circles as the film that was shot in two days. Itís a film that I hadnít caught up until now, though Iím quite a fan of the musical remake from 1986, which was actually based on a stage production from 1982. I never cease to admire producer and director Roger Corman for his ability to achieve so much with so little, but surely a film shot in two days couldnít be much good? One would probably expect a movie of Ed Wood quality, but to my surprise The Little Shop Of Horrors is really a very decent film, and certainly a pretty mad one, a bonkers comedy mixing dark humour, farce and just a bit of horror. It is a micro-budgeted production, so things like cardboard sets and papier-mache props are easily obvious, but because the film never takes itself seriously, and also has acting that is far better than anyone would have a right to expect, such things donít really matter. What matters is that Corman and his crew created a film from almost nothing which is thoroughly entertaining from beginning to end.

The project was conceived after Corman decided to make a film using the sets from his previous production, also a comedy, called A Bucket Of Blood which can almost be seen as Cormanís version of House Of Wax. It has been said that the filmís shooting schedule was based on a bet that Corman could not complete a film within that time, but others had said that the filmís tiny production time was because Corman wanted to get one more film in before new rules were to go into effect requiring producers to pay all actors residuals for all future releases of their work. The cast, nearly all Corman regulars, rehearsed for three weeks prior to production, and some brief exterior bits and pieces were shot by writer Charles B. Griffith and star Mel Welles. The film had trouble finding distribution because of its two Jewish characters who were deemed by many to be insulting. It was finally released by Cormanís own production company, The Filmgroup Inc., nine months after it had been completed. It was released double-billed with Black Sunday, but because Corman did not believe that it had much financial prospect after its initial theatrical run, he did not bother to copyright it, resulting in the film falling into the public domain and therefore becoming widely available in copies of varying quality.

You know youíre watching something a little off-the-wall when it opens with mock-Dragnet narration over rough sketches of the filmís locale. This narration is by a guy who doesnít actually show up in person until half way through. Anyway, we soon enter the filmís main location, a flower shop which has hurriedly-written signs like LOTS PLANTS HERE, and meet its main characters. Wet and weedy Seymour, ditzy bimbo Audrey [who should have been blonde and was in the remake] and their mean and supposedly Jewish [but sounding more Russian] boss are fun and all quite well played with just the right level of humour, but itís the other odd folk who really bring in the laughs. Thereís the hysterical lady customer who constantly buys flowers because someone she knows has died. Thereís Seymourís hypochondriac mother who takes cough medicine that is 96% alcohol and cooks soup which consists of cod liver oil and sulphur powder. Thereís the two idiot cops, one of whom is so íhardí that even the death of his son is met with a shrug. Thereís the various characters who only show up for one scene, in a film where every single person seems to be interesting, and who include amongst them Jack Nicholson as a man who likes pain and enjoys having his teeth being pulled out. Jack is really odd in this scene, very camp and almost girly, and Iíd be lying if I said youíd be hard put to think he would become the great star he went on to become from his performance.

Best of all though are, first of all, the customer played by the wonderful Dick Miller, who to me is one of the great unsung character actors of all time [youíll first recall him from every Joe Dante picture, then remember all these other great films heís been in, often in scene-stealing walk-on parts]. He walks around eating flowers, often sprinkling salt on them first. And second, of course, is Audrey 2 herself. The carnivorous plant looks like something you or I could have knocked up in a couple of hours , but itís still a unique monster whose cries of ďfeed me, feed meĒ are unforgettable. The film is actually pretty grisly, with [unconvincing, but does it really matter?] limbs being visibly fed to or spat out by the plant, and the ridiculous but actually rather disturbing image of the faces of people who have been eaten appearing on Audrey 2ís blossoms.

This is a much funnier film than the musical, with Charles B. Griffithís script coming across like the screenplay to some long lost 40′s screwball comedy made by the Monty Python crew, though the crazy and even random nature of much of it isnít for all tastes. Thereís a lengthy sequence near the end where Seymour is hypnotised by the plant to go get a human victim, and heís running all over a red light district falling over and accosted by hookers who he isnít interested sexually but just want them as possible dinners for Audrey 2. I thought it was hilarious, brilliantly staged with fantastic timing, and really makes me wonder why Corman didnít do more outright comedy [though much of his work has humour in it], but if you donít appreciate humour of the zany kind you may just sit through the whole scene stone-faced. Oddly though, despite being funnier than the musical version, itís also darker. The 1986 Seymour never actually killed any of the luckless folk who end up inside Audrey 2, but the 1960 Seymour certainly does, even if they are mostly accidental. In one bit he throws a rock at a bottle on a wall out of frustration, accidently hits a poor guyís head with it, almost knocking him out, after which the guy gets up, staggers onto a train track, to be ran over by a train!

The Little Shop Of Horrors is full of invention and really makes the most out of most of its scenes with the budget that it had, such as its final chase which takes place partly in and on tires in a junkyard, and also includes Seymour hiding in a toilet [!] and for some reason a bunch of kids running out of an underground train station. Who cares if, for instance, a restaurant is obviously somebodyís kitchen? The filmís interiors were shot with three cameras in wide, lingering master shots in single takes, meaning that in terms of cinema technique itís often very basic, but I was so engrossed in the madness taking place in front of me I didnít even notice until near the end. Original, daring [the Freudian aspects of the tale are immediately obvious] and as fresh today as it must have seemed back in 1960, this is a classic of low-budget filmmaking.

Rating: 8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14853
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 9:15:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Well i'm back and I saw MANIAC (2012) on Thursday night... so you want to know my thoughts...

MANIAC (2012) is a valiant effort and is worth checking out. I believe it's getting a limited cinema release and tbh I can't see this one being too long away from DVD/BR as it's certainly not for everyone. I'm a completist so obviously I'll be buying it on BR when it comes out but overall I still can't get past that nagging feeling that it was just all a little pointless and the original is much better.

Rather lengthy review there mate. I still haven't seen the original Maniac, so maybe I'll enjoy this more than you [and maybe Bill?]. I disagree with you about ISOYG though; I recently watched the original [review coming soon!] and remake, both for the first time, and I felt the remake was far inferior, feeling rather dumbed down and less honest.

My problem is not only seen and own the fully uncut original, i'm pissed off by so many remakes of my favourite 80's horror films, but I feel that just maybe I might just enjoy this one. And on the subject of remakes, EVIL DEAD 2013 is getting good reviews state side, and the trailer looks good, going by Bloody Disgusting it's a 4/5 film, and though they found some bits inferior to the original, the gore factor was awesome. In fact they said they don't know how it got an R rating, it's just as shocking to a modern cinema goer aas it was to an 80's one back then, so maybe worth a vist.
Look forward to your review of the Original I Spit On Your Grave. 
Here's my old review of the remake.
I Spit On Your Grave (2010)

Writer Jennifer Hills (Sarah Butler) takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer's presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally deprived locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson. They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse, rape and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away. As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn't about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer's sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her.

Comparing this to the original film, i have to say it's technically far superior on every level; it's better filmed, acted, written and directed by Steven R. Monroe. But it shortens the rape scenes, in comparison to the much more explicit original,this i felt made the revenge section of the movie seem more extreme and less justified, I know that might sound odd, but to make you more on the side of the victim, you need more than fast editing. The revenge scenes in this have much more creative deaths, and far more gore and violence than the original as far as modern gore effects go, and this makes it more a high class splatter movie,rather than a controversial extreme revenge flick. That said i did enjoy it, if that's the right word, and will watch it again, in fact I now own it along with the original, and I must say it was far more realistic and believable than i expected, and I like the way it  relies more on psychologically implied imagery than the original. But again i feel the original was far more, a more disturbing, and had more tension, which made you want to turn away from the screen,this remake just draws you in.

Sarah Butler is a fine actress and wins hands down in the acting stakes in this film, and for the first half of the film also helps make it feel more real, and you care for her. Problem is in the second half we are meant to believe that Jennifer could pull off killing the big boy's who raped her as she seemed to put no fight up in the first half, and that somehow she got stronger?. In the original, Jennifer comes back to actually seduce the men before she murders them, and the fact that she can seduce them shows us how utterly screwed up they are, that they have convinced themselves Jennifer actually got some pleasure out of her rape, this is disturbing. On the other hand due to Sarah's fine acting i still felt for her and was able to suspend some disbelief in how she became so fit and strong. But the rapists seemed a bit one dimensional to me, yet they are decent actors, but you never felt real threat or anger towards them, so when they get punished, you feel notting. These are minor gripe's but mean that in my book anyway the original is the better and more believable revenge flick, that even with it's not so good acting and low low budget works better.

The really nasty torture and gore scenes here from eyes being pecked out, fishing hooks put into eyelids in a truly painful looking sequence, a face is burned off with acid, teeth are pulled out, there's an off screen castration, with the severed penis shoved into it's former owner's mouth. Are very brutal and well made/directed scene's, that add to the overall polished look of this remake, and as remakes go this is a decent one, but why make rape and murder look cool, keep it nasty and brutal. So warning, not as extreme in feel but in gore stakes, it kicks ass, so not to be watched while eating a pizza,and downing some beers, unless your stomach is tough as old nails.  6/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 12/3/2013 9:24:58 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14854
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 9:24:00 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The Little Shop Of Horrors is full of invention and really makes the most out of most of its scenes with the budget that it had, such as its final chase which takes place partly in and on tires in a junkyard, and also includes Seymour hiding in a toilet [!] and for some reason a bunch of kids running out of an underground train station. Who cares if, for instance, a restaurant is obviously somebody's kitchen? The film's interiors were shot with three cameras in wide, lingering master shots in single takes, meaning that in terms of cinema technique it's often very basic, but I was so engrossed in the madness taking place in front of me I didn't even notice until near the end. Original, daring [the Freudian aspects of the tale are immediately obvious] and as fresh today as it must have seemed back in 1960, this is a classic of low-budget filmmaking.

Rating: 8/10

This is just classic Rodger Corman, and i'm a huge fan of his early work, it's so well made for a very low budget film, and well scripted, just so much fun, great review mate.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14855
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 9:37:19 PM   
Dr Lenera

New York short story writer Jennifer Hills rents an isolated cottage by a lake in the countryside to write her first novel. The arrival in town of the attractive and independent young woman attracts the attention first of Johnny, the gas station manager, then of Stanley and Andy, two unemployed youths who hang around the gas station. Jennifer receives a grocery delivery from Matthew, who is mentally challenged, and befriends him. Matthew is friends with the other three men and reports back to them about the beautiful woman he met, claiming he saw her breasts. Stanley and Andy start cruising by the cottage in their speedboat and prowl around the house at night, intimidating Jennifer. The next day, while Jennifer is relaxing in her canoe, they surprise her in their speedboat and tow her to shore so that Matthew can lose his virginityÖ..

It has taken me until now to watch I Spit On Your Grave. Shameful you might think, a writer for a website called Horror Cult Films taking so long to get around to seeing one of the most famous and controversial Video Nasties of them all. A film that has aroused some truly extreme critical comments, with Roger Ebertís [the same Roger Ebert who co-wrote two Russ Meyer films which are more far misogynist than I Spit On Your Grave] comments ofÖ a vile bag of garbageÖsick, reprehensible and contemptibleÖ.without a shred of artistic distinctionÖ.being typical of the general critical response, though I must say right here that it is does have its defenders, mainly women it seems who most certainly do see the wool for the trees. Well, call me weird for just not wanting to see a film where the first half supposedly consists of a woman being repeatedly raped. Rape is an upsetting thing to watch in a film, aside from the fact that I have issues with the way it is sometimes depicted. I consider Irreversible the second greatest film of the 2000s, but I have only sat through its central rape scene twice, a fact which takes nothing away from the filmís brilliance.

Well, I finally got around to seeing it andÖ..wellÖI certainly didnít see the film that Ebert described. Iím not going to say that watching it was an enjoyable experience. In fact, about a third of the way through I stopped the DVD and almost threw up. A pretty awful thing some might say, especially as weíre not talking about, for instance, gloopy special effects which are basically unrealistic. However, I think that what I was made to feel was exactly what the writer/director Meir Zarchi intended. And more than that, that he was right to make me feel that way. I am most definitely not going to make a claim for I Spit On Your Grave as an artistic masterpiece. Itís sloppy and awkward in places [though still a far better made film than I had expected], and one can certainly question how far should a filmmaker go in showing something repugnant. It is though, a work of merit and importance. Did I enjoy it? Not really. In fact, there were times I hated the thing.

Zarchi [who has only directed one other film, the less notable but rather good Donít Mess With My Sister from 1985] was inspired to produce the film after an incident where he, a friend, and his daughter were driving by a park when they witnessed a young woman crawling out of the bushes bloodied and naked, having been raped and with her jaw broken, and took her to the police, then the hospital. Made on a very low budget, it took Zarchi a year to edit the film, which was then under the title Day Of The Woman. Released in 1978 heavily cut to get an ĎRí rating, it drew hardly any intention until it was re-released two years later by Jerry Gross under its new title and uncut [though still in some places, amusingly, with the 'R' rating on the poster]. It drew instant notoriety and ended up second on the DPPís list on Video Nasties in the UK. Even as censorship loosened it still caused problems for the censors in the UK, the 2001 DVD release losing seven minutes and the 2003 one losing just under a minute but having some of the raping re-framed so it was less explicit. I watched the uncut US DVD, because no matter how nasty a film might be, I believe it should be seen as originally intended and judged thus.

The first thing that strikes one about I Spit On Your Grave is its rather leisurely mood and the simple but effective way it is shot with an emphasis on long-distance shots which usually place Jennifer right in the middle of the screen. Perhaps itís a bit lazy, but after viewing too many movies of late like Les Miserables which were partially ruined by far too much use of close-ups, I found it rather refreshing. The beauty of the countryside around the house Jennifer is staying at is emphasised greatly, and this could really have been a wonderful haven for the successful city girl from the hustle and bustle of her normal life. She seems totally at home sunbathing and swimming in this paradise, which she does scantily clad or nude. I have read reviews which claim that the film is saying she is asking to be raped because of this and the way she is very relaxed and friendly with the men. It isnít, something emphasised later on in a crucial scene, and anyone who thinks it is quite frankly needs their head seeing to.

The men are certainly not likeable. An early chat between them reveals them to be something below Neanderthal Man in their attitudes to women, and yet they mostly convince as especially bad specimens of the animal kingdom, despite some seriously ropey acting. They spend some time teasing Jennifer such as driving round and round where she is sat in a boat, and the film builds up some serious tension despite having no music score, which actually really adds to the disconcerting realism of what we are seeing. Then, we have the rapeÖ.and anotherÖ.and another. The sequences are long and graphic and truly hard to watch. During the second attack, Jennifer is assaulted anally and lets out a cry which is probably the most disturbing thing I have ever heard in a film. And this was where I had to turn the film off and almost vomited over the sink, and yetÖ.isnít this how one is SUPPOSED to feel when watching such a woman being raped?

Iíve read that the film eroticises rape, something which many Hollywood films are indeed guilty of. Well, if I was sitting next to someone watching the film and that person said they were making the scenes erotic, I would be seriously worried about them. The agonising assaults here are absolutely horrible and that is how they should be. Perhaps the third and final assault is not too necessary, and it really is unpleasant to watch Matthew the mentally challenged one of the gang being forced to join in, but this kind of thing does happen, and the role of this person is actually very important [this element was all-but-botched in the remake]. He shows himself to me more intelligent than the others because he clearly has a sense of whatís good and whatís bad, and thinks before he acts. The film seems to be exploring, albeit in a simplistic way, things like responsibility and culpability. And it most definitely isnít against people with learning difficulties.

At last the sexual violence is over, and whereas the lake was full of colour and beauty, itís now forbidding, grey and full of fog. Now itís been said that the revenge scenes are too exploitative in the way Jennifer uses her sexuality, and too brief in comparison with the rapes, but I think itís important and empowering that she uses her greatest weapon [and yes, Camille Keaton is gorgeous], while such acts as a castration in a bath and a strangulation by rope would have been silly if theyíd been any longer. Anyway I donít think Zarchi, while still being on her side somewhat, is totally supporting what sheís doing, though this fan of vigilante movies certainly couldnít wait to see the bastards get what was coming them and has no shame in saying that. But isnít it interesting that Jennifer decides to kill poor Matthew first, a scene where we are certainly not meant to cheer? And that she doesnít seem to show any joy after each killing? There is a really powerful scene where, after the castration scene, a scene which is queasy but actually not as graphic as all that probably because they couldnít afford major special effects, she rocks back and forth in her rocking chair while playing opera on the record player. Her face shows no happiness or even sense of achievement. Itís just cold and emotionless. Killing these guys wonít make her feel better.

Keaton is not the best actress, but does pretty well with such a gruelling role. As Iíve said before the acting of the others isnít too good and lets the side down somewhat, while Zarchiís direction is a touch uneven, with well staged and even elegant sequences alternating with clumsy ones, but for a first-time director heís quite good. He has a tendency to let scenes where nothing is happening play out for too long, and you could probably cut 15 min or so out of the film to tighten it up, but for me it added to its effect. Yes, I Spit On Your Grave is a good film. Itís very rough around the edges and is not at all likeable, but these things donít stop it being of moral and artistic worth. That it has, in my opinion, been so misunderstood by critics who are rightfully repulsed and refuse to think any further, is a pity, but none too surprising when deeply offensive, misogynist rubbish like Naked gets praised because itís from criticís darling Mike Leigh. And to my eyes, though this is not a popular view, itís certainly better than the simplistic, even dumbed-down, remake which may have been more slick and even enjoyable but fudged most of the issues.

Rating: 7.5/10

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14856
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/3/2013 9:44:40 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

quote:

Rather lengthy review there mate. I still haven't seen the original Maniac, so maybe I'll enjoy this more than you [and maybe Bill?]. I disagree with you about ISOYG though; I recently watched the original [review coming soon!] and remake, both for the first time, and I felt the remake was far inferior, feeling rather dumbed down and less honest.

My problem is not only seen and own the fully uncut original, i'm pissed off by so many remakes of my favourite 80's horror films, but I feel that just maybe I might just enjoy this one. And on the subject of remakes, EVIL DEAD 2013 is getting good reviews state side, and the trailer looks good, going by Bloody Disgusting it's a 4/5 film, and though they found some bits inferior to the original, the gore factor was awesome. In fact they said they don't know how it got an R rating, it's just as shocking to a modern cinema goer aas it was to an 80's one back then, so maybe worth a vist.
Look forward to your review of the Original I†Spit On Your Grave.†
Here's my old review of the remake.
I Spit On Your Grave (2010)

Writer Jennifer Hills (Sarah Butler) takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer's presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally deprived locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson. They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse, rape and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away. As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn't about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer's sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her.

Comparing this to the original film, i have to say it's technically far superior on every level; it's better filmed, acted, written and directed by Steven R. Monroe. But it shortens the rape scenes, in comparison to the much more explicit original,this i felt made the revenge section of the movie seem more extreme and less justified, I know that might sound odd, but to make you more on the side of the victim, you need more than fast editing. The revenge scenes in this have much more creative deaths, and far more gore and violence than the original as far as modern gore effects go, and this makes it more a high class splatter movie,rather than a controversial extreme revenge flick. That said i did enjoy it, if that's the right word, and will watch it again, in fact I now own it along with the original, and I must say it was far more realistic and believable than i expected, and I like the way it† relies more on psychologically implied imagery than the original. But again i feel the original was far more, a more†disturbing, and had more tension, which made you want to turn away from the screen,this remake just draws you in.

Sarah Butler is a fine actress and wins hands down in the acting stakes in this film, and for the first half of the film also helps make it feel more real, and you care for her. Problem is in the second half we are meant to believe that Jennifer could pull off killing the big boy's who raped her as she seemed to put no fight up in the first half, and that somehow she got stronger?. In the original, Jennifer comes back to actually seduce the men before she murders them, and the fact that she can seduce them shows us how utterly screwed up they are, that they have convinced themselves Jennifer actually got some pleasure out of her rape, this is disturbing. On the other hand due to Sarah's fine acting i still felt for her and was able to suspend some disbelief in how she became so fit and strong. But the rapists seemed a bit one dimensional to me, yet they are decent actors, but you never felt real threat or anger towards them, so when they get punished, you feel notting. These are minor gripe's but mean that in my book anyway the original is the better and more believable revenge flick, that even with it's not so good acting and low low budget works better.

The really nasty torture and gore scenes here from eyes being pecked out, fishing hooks put into eyelids in a truly painful looking sequence, a face is burned off with acid, teeth are pulled out, there's an off screen castration, with the severed penis shoved into it's former owner's mouth. Are very brutal and well made/directed scene's, that add to the overall polished look of this remake, and as remakes go this is a†decent one, but why make rape and murder look cool, keep it nasty and brutal. So warning, not as extreme in feel but in gore stakes, it kicks ass, so not†to be watched while eating a pizza,and downing some beers, unless your stomach is tough as old nails. 6/10

I could have written that review myself , you took the words right out of my mouth! A decent remake, and technically superior, but will people still be shocked by and debating about it in years to come like the original? I doubt it.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14857
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/3/2013 7:20:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Keaton is not the best actress, but does pretty well with such a gruelling role. As I've said before the acting of the others isn't too good and lets the side down somewhat, while Zarchi's direction is a touch uneven, with well staged and even elegant sequences alternating with clumsy ones, but for a first-time director he's quite good. He has a tendency to let scenes where nothing is happening play out for too long, and you could probably cut 15 min or so out of the film to tighten it up, but for me it added to its effect. Yes, I Spit On Your Grave is a good film. It's very rough around the edges and is not at all likeable, but these things don't stop it being of moral and artistic worth. That it has, in my opinion, been so misunderstood by critics who are rightfully repulsed and refuse to think any further, is a pity, but none too surprising when deeply offensive, misogynist rubbish like Naked gets praised because it's from critic's darling Mike Leigh. And to my eyes, though this is not a popular view, it's certainly better than the simplistic, even dumbed-down, remake which may have been more slick and even enjoyable but fudged most of the issues.

Rating: 7.5/10

I could not have put it better my friend, a superb review, and as I expected it did repulse you, as this is what violent rape films should do, and is where the remake went wrong. I'm hoping MANIC is not watered down version of the original, for it too was a disturbing film, also dark, sleazy and yet it too could claim to hold the moral ground, for it never glamourizes the violence. This is sadly missing from a lot of remakes of Violent Horror films of the 80's, or even 70's, take the recent remake of STRAW DOGS, though it's a decent remake, again the rape is watered down, the violence is also less in your face than the original, you wonder why they bother doing these half assed remakes. 

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14858
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/3/2013 1:05:38 PM   
Discodez

Iíve recently become mildly obsessed with a German vampire film called We Are the Night (Wir Sind die Nacht). As it seems itís not reviewed on the Empire site and not mentioned on the forums I thought Iíd write a review and encourage you all to seek it out, as itís a hugely enjoyable take on modern vampire lore.

Lena (Karoline Herfurth) a German street punk pickpockets a man of his wallet after he uses a cashpoint, little does she know heís a Russian pimp who is being tailed by the police, Tom (Max Riemelt) a detective chases her through a supermarket, where Lena steals a dress and gives Tom the slip. Changing into the dress Lena rests on a bridge where Tom catches up with her and asks if sheís seen a man running over the bridge. Tom begins to question Lena and realises sheís the man heís been chasing, however Lena, kicks him in the nuts and jumps from the bridge onto a passing barge and flips Tom the bird, he canít help but laugh at her resourcefulness.
The credit card Lena has stolen doesnít work so she ends up without any proceeds from her robbery, pissed off at that and the fact that when she gets home her prostitute mother is getting cosy with her disinterested parole officer decides to go out for the evening. She spots some youths going through a hole in a fence and follows them into a fairground where an underground nightclub is in full swing. On CCTV Louisa (Nina Hoss) tells the clubs bouncers to allow Lena in. Once inside Louisa introduces herself to Lena and after a dancing with her, follows her into the toilets where she bites Lenaís neck, Louisa is thrown across the room. Lena makes her escape and goes home. However the next morning, sunlight burns her skin and Lena now in pain has a taste for blood. That night Lena returns to the nightclub where Louisa and her two consorts Charlotte (Jennifer Ulrich) and Nora (Anna Fischer) are waiting. Angry and confused at what has been done to her, Lena attacks Louisa but is knocked unconscious. To demonstrate her new powers to her, Louisa takes Lena to another Russian gangster, who begins to abuse Lena, the gangster though is in a lot more trouble than he realises. As he attempts to rape her, Lenaís bloodlust rises and she kills her attacker. Louisa, Nora and Charlotte come to ďrescueĒ Lena. Taken to the vampireís hotel Louisa is given blood to drink to ease the pain she is in and is initiated into a female only vampire underworld. Lena enjoys her new found power and the glamour but doesnít share the others enjoyment of random slaughter. Meanwhile detective Tom is attempting track Lena down Ö

According to Wkipedia, Franke Potente was originally slated to direct We Are the Night, which was eventually helmed by Denis Gansel who re-wrote the original script moving it away from itís romantic origins to make it a kinetic action movie and a German antidote to Twighlight series.
The film also features a cracking soundtrack featuring original music by Heiko Maille and songs by the likes Soulwax, Covenant and IAMX (which makes a nice change form the usual by the numbers nu-metal of American horror films).
I hope this review piques your interest and I highly recommend seeking out this film (itís available on Amazon), it richly deserves to attain a much bigger audience in the UK.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 14/3/2013 1:43:30 PM >

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14859
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/3/2013 6:24:40 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Iíve recently become mildly obsessed with a German vampire film called We Are the Night (Wir Sind die Nacht). As it seems itís not reviewed on the Empire site and not mentioned on the forums I thought Iíd write a review and encourage you all to seek it out, as itís a hugely enjoyable take on modern vampire lore.

Lena (Karoline Herfurth) a German street punk pickpockets a man of his wallet after he uses a cashpoint, little does she know heís a Russian pimp who is being tailed by the police, Tom (Max Riemelt) a detective chases her through a supermarket, where Lena steals a dress and gives Tom the slip. Changing into the dress Lena rests on a bridge where Tom catches up with her and asks if sheís seen a man running over the bridge. Tom begins to question Lena and realises sheís the man heís been chasing, however Lena, kicks him in the nuts and jumps from the bridge onto a passing barge and flips Tom the bird, he canít help but laugh at her resourcefulness.
The credit card Lena has stolen doesnít work so she ends up without any proceeds from her robbery, pissed off at that and the fact that when she gets home her prostitute mother is getting cosy with her disinterested parole officer decides to go out for the evening. She spots some youths going through a hole in a fence and follows them into a fairground where an underground nightclub is in full swing. On CCTV Louisa (Nina Hoss) tells the clubs bouncers to allow Lena in. Once inside Louisa introduces herself to Lena and after a dancing with her, follows her into the toilets where she bites Lenaís neck, Louisa is thrown across the room. Lena makes her escape and goes home. However the next morning, sunlight burns her skin and Lena now in pain has a taste for blood. That night Lena returns to the nightclub where Louisa and her two consorts Charlotte (Jennifer Ulrich) and Nora (Anna Fischer) are waiting. Angry and confused at what has been done to her, Lena attacks Louisa but is knocked unconscious. To demonstrate her new powers to her, Louisa takes Lena to another Russian gangster, who begins to abuse Lena, the gangster though is in a lot more trouble than he realises. As he attempts to rape her, Lenaís bloodlust rises and she kills her attacker. Louisa, Nora and Charlotte come to ďrescueĒ Lena. Taken to the vampireís hotel Louisa is given blood to drink to ease the pain she is in and is initiated into a female only vampire underworld. Lena enjoys her new found power and the glamour but doesnít share the others enjoyment of random slaughter. Meanwhile detective Tom is attempting track Lena down Ö

According to Wkipedia, Franke Potente was originally slated to direct We Are the Night, which was eventually helmed by Denis Gansel who re-wrote the original script moving it away from itís romantic origins to make it a kinetic action movie and a German antidote to Twighlight series.
The film also features a cracking soundtrack featuring original music by Heiko Maille and songs by the likes Soulwax, Covenant and IAMX (which makes a nice change form the usual by the numbers nu-metal of American horror films).
I hope this review piques your interest and I highly recommend seeking out this film (itís available on Amazon), it richly deserves to attain a much bigger audience in the UK.

Nice review mate of a Vampire flick I have not seen, but will be out to find, as I recognise one of the actresses who was in Perfume and another film I just can't remember, but she is an excellent actress. I see this German film was made in 2010, and was there answer to the Twilight film, so going by that it should be a good catch, and I do like the band COVENANT, so another plus, so well done bringing this film to our thread, and i'm sure i'll not be the only one seeking this out.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 14860
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/3/2013 7:56:47 AM   
Discodez

You'll have to let me know what you think when you've seen it Bill

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14861
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/3/2013 7:52:01 PM   
Platter

From Beyond (1986) 7 out of 10

Much better than Re-animator. The pacing of the story is good as it just gets right to it with no hanging around. The story itself is good and the subject matter has some weight to it. It's curiously small scale cast wise with only thirteen actors credited. The first hour is very strong for this sort of thing. Unfortunately once it gets to the hospital it falls apart a little bit. The logic gets very questionable and technically it's not as well made with poorly staged and unconvincing action. The ending itself was quite good although there is a massive logic hole concerning where the discredited psychiatrist suddenly acquired a bomb of dynamite with a timer? It was very good for most of its running time but the hospital sequence is a big mark against it.

The Bourne Legacy (2012) 5

It starts pretty good but becomes increasingly average as it continues. The big problem is that itís all very pointless and unnecessary. Itís clearly part one of a trilogy, but beyond introducing a few characters it adds nothing important to the story. You could probably skip to the second film and miss nothing. The first third is an unneeded alternative replay of the third Bourne movie. The events of that film donít really directly impact much on this story so it feels very contrived. Also it would probably be very confusing if you havenít seen or remember that film. Then the second third is pure time wasting as he searches for a new supply of drugs heís using. This is uninteresting McGuffin plot nonsense that adds up to nothing. Itís not much more than a diversion to stretch the running time. Then the last third or so is a big, well-made but unexceptional chase. I didnít know it was the climax and so I was surprised when the film abruptly ended. The good guy didnít even know the bad guy (Norton) was after him! They didnít meet, or confront each other. There really isnít much of a plot to this at all. The film is just very pointless. It was entertaining enough so I canít complain too much about it. Also for an action film there was very little action. There are only a few small scale skirmishes here and there among lots of dialogue, and then the big car chase climax. The best part was the fight in the scientistís giant house, with the death of the woman the highlight.

Videodrome (1982) 8

Strong film full of interesting images and ideas. The characters and their jobs make for an unusual setting. Not many movies have a lead character who buys programmes for a TV station. The story is pretty much full on surrealist but with a proper coherent plot that has a start, middle and an end. At no point does it descend into things happening for its own sake. Not to say every moment makes complete sense, but you can see how it's driving the plot forwards. The ending is a bit so-so. It works well enough, it's just slightly anti-climatic. An interesting, provocative movie. Very good.

Sleepy Hollow (1999) 5

It was alright but it plodded along and was just rather disengaging. It never really lives up to its potential and is overall a bit bland and a little bit boring. Not a film I can work up much enthusiasm for. Johnny Depp gives a so-so performance and his character's forensic ideas don't amount to much in the story. The only interesting thing about the film is the sets. Beyond that there isn't much to grip hold of. The old claim that Burton is a poor director but a world class production designer certainly applies here to some extent. The end reveal is quite good, but I can't escape the feeling they should have let the audience in on this information at the halfway point as it would have been more dramatic if we knew what was going on.

Crank 2: High Voltage (2009) 7

I enjoyed this a lot more than the first time I saw it. It's a chaotic mess, but that's deliberate. It works and it achieves what it sets out to do. The ending, which I thought was a scene too far due to viewer fatigue, was fine this time. They maybe pushed the absurdity a bit too far, but it holds together and entertains in the way it's supposed to. The first film is superior (10 out of 10) and much more sly and smarter in its stupidity. A good film but it could have been better.

Total Recall - Original Theatrical Cut (2012) 7

All the reports I had heard suggested that the film was boring, so I opted to watch the cinema edit instead of the twenty minutes longer director's cut on the Blu-Ray. A pity as it turned out to be a very enjoyable chase movie. I think the longer cut would have been better. There are a few nods (the audience misdirect at customs is very clever) and scenes (the last twist over Quaid's identity) that are similar to the original 1990 version, but otherwise they are substantially different films. The movie justifies its existence by going in its own direction with the story. It's basically one long chase for most of the running time. Visually it's strongly recalls Blade Runner with its city sets. The movie is let down by a weak ending that has a few questions of logic and is also just not that good. Apparently the director's cut has a different ending.

Badlands (1973) 6

It's okay. The first half is strong and effective but after the tree house sequence it looses most of its forward momentum and just sort of hangs around, not knowing what to do. It becomes a bit dull. There's a lot to like about the movie, such as the sometimes unusual editing that means scenes fade out sooner than expected. The voiceover is interesting as she just doesn't get the enormity of what is happening. The film is let down by too much meandering in the second half with whole sequences feeling rather inconsequential, such as hiding out in the rich man's house. I want to like the movie more than I do. Some interesting ideas like the blank indifference to murder means it's a film that might ultimately disappoint, but it has an impact.

Days of Heaven (1978) 8

Unusual film led mostly by visuals. All the scenes are just short, abrupt little vignettes of life with little hints of story in some of them. Most scenes are just a visual setting and one line of dialogue. The editing is quite showy with its abruptness. There is very little story and it's told cryptically. It can seem wilfully obscure unless you're engaging with it and filling in the many blanks for yourself. The only bit that didn't make complete sense to me was the ending, which left me with a few questions. Also the very last scene was an odd way to finish the story. It was pretty looking but not ravishing in my opinion. The action scenes (moments of violence, the locust plague and the end chase) are not that well filmed. The voiceover from the little girl was okay and unpretentious with no hard to swallow philosophy. Having said that, I think the film would have worked just as well (but not better) without the voiceover. I'm not sure if it really added much. I liked the film despite being fairly dramatically inert. The lead actress has a pretty face with an interestingly downturned mouth. I imagine her mouth is more than half the reason why she was cast. The movie very much reminds me of There Will Be Blood which has a similar style of visuals over words, say as little as possible and don't be afraid to be enigmatic quality.

The Master (2012) 4

The first hour is okay. It never really sparks into life and becomes anything remarkable, but it was okay. Then after the prison scene it loses its way a bit. The whole touch the wall-touch the window thing goes on far too long and is just not very good. After about five minutes of it I said to myself 'I'm not interested.' The Phoenix Conference shows the two leads in such poor light that I lost all empathy for them due to their awful behaviour. Then the pointing game in the desert was a terrible scene and I pretty much gave up on the film at that point. It then ends on an anti-climactic note. I was expecting a two and a half hour movie so I was surprised when it ended after just over two hours. The film never really amounts to much. It's an authentically pretentious picture in the truest sense of the word - it presents itself as being about a lot more than it is. There is very little content spread too thinly. Everything the film has to say was said in the hype and marketing. If you've heard about the film then you've as good as seen it. The movie itself has nothing extra to say. The story is told in a similar vignettes of life way as Days of Heaven and There Will Be Blood. There isn't enough substance or surface allure for this technique to work well this time. It just comes across as very underwritten and even sort of under directed. If it was made by a director of lesser reputation I doubt people would be that impressed by it. I think overall the film doesn't quite work. It was watchable.

< Message edited by Platter -- 20/3/2013 7:54:49 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 14862
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 5:29:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Will have to get hold of this, sounds ace.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 14863
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 5:31:26 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Much better than Re-animator. The pacing of the story is good as it just gets right to it with no hanging around. The story itself is good and the subject matter has some weight to it. It's curiously small scale cast wise with only thirteen actors credited. The first hour is very strong for this sort of thing. Unfortunately once it gets to the hospital it falls apart a little bit. The logic gets very questionable and technically it's not as well made with poorly staged and unconvincing action. The ending itself was quite good although there is a massive logic hole concerning where the discredited psychiatrist suddenly acquired a bomb of dynamite with a timer? It was very good for most of its running time but the hospital sequence is a big mark against it.

It starts pretty good but becomes increasingly average as it continues. The big problem is that itís all very pointless and unnecessary. Itís clearly part one of a trilogy, but beyond introducing a few characters it adds nothing important to the story. You could probably skip to the second film and miss nothing. The first third is an unneeded alternative replay of the third Bourne movie. The events of that film donít really directly impact much on this story so it feels very contrived. Also it would probably be very confusing if you havenít seen or remember that film. Then the second third is pure time wasting as he searches for a new supply of drugs heís using. This is uninteresting McGuffin plot nonsense that adds up to nothing. Itís not much more than a diversion to stretch the running time. Then the last third or so is a big, well-made but unexceptional chase. I didnít know it was the climax and so I was surprised when the film abruptly ended. The good guy didnít even know the bad guy (Norton) was after him! They didnít meet, or confront each other. There really isnít much of a plot to this at all. The film is just very pointless. It was entertaining enough so I canít complain too much about it. Also for an action film there was very little action. There are only a few small scale skirmishes here and there among lots of dialogue, and then the big car chase climax. The best part was the fight in the scientistís giant house, with the death of the woman the highlight.

Videodrome (1982) 8

Strong film full of interesting images and ideas. The characters and their jobs make for an unusual setting. Not many movies have a lead character who buys programmes for a TV station. The story is pretty much full on surrealist but with a proper coherent plot that has a start, middle and an end. At no point does it descend into things happening for its own sake. Not to say every moment makes complete sense, but you can see how it's driving the plot forwards. The ending is a bit so-so. It works well enough, it's just slightly anti-climatic. An interesting, provocative movie. Very good.

Sleepy Hollow (1999) 5

It was alright but it plodded along and was just rather disengaging. It never really lives up to its potential and is overall a bit bland and a little bit boring. Not a film I can work up much enthusiasm for. Johnny Depp gives a so-so performance and his character's forensic ideas don't amount to much in the story. The only interesting thing about the film is the sets. Beyond that there isn't much to grip hold of. The old claim that Burton is a poor director but a world class production designer certainly applies here to some extent. The end reveal is quite good, but I can't escape the feeling they should have let the audience in on this information at the halfway point as it would have been more dramatic if we knew what was going on.

I enjoyed this a lot more than the first time I saw it. It's a chaotic mess, but that's deliberate. It works and it achieves what it sets out to do. The ending, which I thought was a scene too far due to viewer fatigue, was fine this time. They maybe pushed the absurdity a bit too far, but it holds together and entertains in the way it's supposed to. The first film is superior (10 out of 10) and much more sly and smarter in its stupidity. A good film but it could have been better.

All the reports I had heard suggested that the film was boring, so I opted to watch the cinema edit instead of the twenty minutes longer director's cut on the Blu-Ray. A pity as it turned out to be a very enjoyable chase movie. I think the longer cut would have been better. There are a few nods (the audience misdirect at customs is very clever) and scenes (the last twist over Quaid's identity) that are similar to the original 1990 version, but otherwise they are substantially different films. The movie justifies its existence by going in its own direction with the story. It's basically one long chase for most of the running time. Visually it's strongly recalls Blade Runner with its city sets. The movie is let down by a weak ending that has a few questions of logic and is also just not that good. Apparently the director's cut has a different ending.

Badlands (1973) 6

It's okay. The first half is strong and effective but after the tree house sequence it looses most of its forward momentum and just sort of hangs around, not knowing what to do. It becomes a bit dull. There's a lot to like about the movie, such as the sometimes unusual editing that means scenes fade out sooner than expected. The voiceover is interesting as she just doesn't get the enormity of what is happening. The film is let down by too much meandering in the second half with whole sequences feeling rather inconsequential, such as hiding out in the rich man's house. I want to like the movie more than I do. Some interesting ideas like the blank indifference to murder means it's a film that might ultimately disappoint, but it has an impact.

Days of Heaven (1978) 8

Unusual film led mostly by visuals. All the scenes are just short, abrupt little vignettes of life with little hints of story in some of them. Most scenes are just a visual setting and one line of dialogue. The editing is quite showy with its abruptness. There is very little story and it's told cryptically. It can seem wilfully obscure unless you're engaging with it and filling in the many blanks for yourself. The only bit that didn't make complete sense to me was the ending, which left me with a few questions. Also the very last scene was an odd way to finish the story. It was pretty looking but not ravishing in my opinion. The action scenes (moments of violence, the locust plague and the end chase) are not that well filmed. The voiceover from the little girl was okay and unpretentious with no hard to swallow philosophy. Having said that, I think the film would have worked just as well (but not better) without the voiceover. I'm not sure if it really added much. I liked the film despite being fairly dramatically inert. The lead actress has a pretty face with an interestingly downturned mouth. I imagine her mouth is more than half the reason why she was cast. The movie very much reminds me of There Will Be Blood which has a similar style of visuals over words, say as little as possible and don't be afraid to be enigmatic quality.

The Master (2012) 4

The first hour is okay. It never really sparks into life and becomes anything remarkable, but it was okay. Then after the prison scene it loses its way a bit. The whole touch the wall-touch the window thing goes on far too long and is just not very good. After about five minutes of it I said to myself 'I'm not interested.' The Phoenix Conference shows the two leads in such poor light that I lost all empathy for them due to their awful behaviour. Then the pointing game in the desert was a terrible scene and I pretty much gave up on the film at that point. It then ends on an anti-climactic note. I was expecting a two and a half hour movie so I was surprised when it ended after just over two hours. The film never really amounts to much. It's an authentically pretentious picture in the truest sense of the word - it presents itself as being about a lot more than it is. There is very little content spread too thinly. Everything the film has to say was said in the hype and marketing. If you've heard about the film then you've as good as seen it. The movie itself has nothing extra to say. The story is told in a similar vignettes of life way as Days of Heaven and There Will Be Blood. There isn't enough substance or surface allure for this technique to work well this time. It just comes across as very underwritten and even sort of under directed. If it was made by a director of lesser reputation I doubt people would be that impressed by it. I think overall the film doesn't quite work. It was watchable.

Disagree with you about The Master and Sleepy Hollow big-time. Agree entirely about the disappointing Bourne Legacy though!

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14864
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 5:37:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

A man pawns a ring and comes out of the shop with some cash and a video camera. He starts watching footage that has been left in the camera. It is of a group of girls planning to celebrate the 21st birthday of Corina. They plan to record everything on film. Corina is blindfolded and taken by the others to an abandoned and ramshackle warehouse. They meet with pal Barry and start drinking heavily, then are nastily interrupted by the arrival of three men whose intent to rape the women. Barry tries to fight them off and is killed, but it seems that, as the ordeal gets underway, something else is lurking in the building. Humans are not the only danger aboutÖ..

Unlike my fellow writer Matt Wavish, who is a fan of this type of film, Iíve always had mixed feelings about Found Footage films. Too often it seems overly contrived, even in todayís obsession with recording everything, and just an excuse for bad filmmaking, while all that shaking of the camera about is often immensely irritating and sometimes worse: Iíll never forget walking out the cinema after seeing Quarantine because for the next four hours I had an awful headache which almost turned me off watching Found Footage for good. Iím glad it didnít though, because every now and again a film comes along which proves how effective this kind of film can be in the right hands, for example Cloverfield and Chronicle [and come to think of it the much maligned The Devil Inside wasnít half bad either, though Matt and I seem to be unique in really liking that film].

The Inside [yeah, original title aye?] isnít quite up to the level of the finest Found Footage films, and it certainly wonít convert those who canít stand this kind of film. If youíre a fan though, youíll most likely love it and can probably add a star at the bottom of this review. Like The Fallow Field, also released by Monster Pictures, it was actually made in 2009 and has struggled to get released, but, like that film, you canít really use this fact as an indication of the filmís quality or lack thereof. All the things you expect and maybe sometimes dread from Found Footage can be found in The Inside; shakycam [the bane of my existence in cinema, though itís use can be somewhat justified in Found Footage], the camera going Ďwrongí at certain moments, believable but rather annoying young protagonists who bicker and bicker, a lack of explanation for what the hell is going on, etc. However, all these ingredients ended up as something pretty good with The Inside. For one thing, and this is probably the most important ingredient in a horror movie, itís actually quite scary.

Actually not all of The Inside is Found Footage. After some chilling writing tells us things like ď2í500 people reported missing every day in America aloneĒ, we open with rather evocative shots of night-time Dublin as a female radio DJ tells of some missing girls and warns people to be careful out there. We see someone [actually the director Eoin Macken who also wrote, edited and produced this film] obtaining the video camera, sometimes intercut with POV shots of somebody running from something. These first few minutes are a little clumsily and even confusingly handled, but we soon get into the actual Ďfootageí. Itís of course very convenient that the girls plan to record everything on filmÖĒtill we run out of tape or get hammeredĒ, one says, and why do they pick such an awful place to party? They donít shut up for a minute these obnoxious, deafening [though very believable!] young females, and after a while I wished something would turn up very soon to shut them up. Well, something does, and when it does the proceedings get very intense indeed. Thereís a real sense of human evil as the three cruel men threaten and even rape the girls, the constant yelling annoying but adding to the intensity. The violence, even of the sexual kind, is not shown in much detail and some may be disappointed that some rather gory stuff appears to take place in some scenes of the film but we donít actually see it, though it didnít bother me.

Then things change again with a scene that scared the hell out of me, as a supernatural element begins to take over. Letís just say that when you think youíre watching a brutal rape and suddenly the camera goes all Ďfunnyí, watch out! I canít get that bloody goat-like demon face out of my mind and for the rest of the film youíll be on edge wondering where heís going to pop up next. One bit where itís in the background sent shivers not just down my spine but all over my body. Amidst all the running around in dark locales which is sometimes reminiscent of the superb The Descent, thereís also a blood-covered man lurking about, demonic patterns on a wall, and sounds like a baby crying, and it all seems a bit random and hastily thrown together, even when the video footage ends and the unnamed man at the beginning decides on the bright idea of retracing the steps of one of the girls back to the warehouse. Donít expect much in the way of answers, nor this guy to be much of a hero, and at times I wondered if this final segment was necessary, but itís very suspenseful all the same even if the final scene seems cheap.

I would absolutely hate to see The Inside on a cinema screen. This film probably features more epileptic shaking and whirling around of the camera about then any other film Iíve ever seen. Even when the girls sit down to tell stories, the person doing the filming still waves the camera all over the place and just canít keep it still for a moment. I know this style of filming is part of what Found Footage is about, but in this film itís ridiculously excessive for at least the first third when nobody is running around. Saying that, thereís a great bit where the camera sits still on a rock and observes someone trying to hide from her pursuer. The cinematography does manage to make the location a really forbidding place, and itís all is enhanced by creepy sound effects and rather unnerving minimalist scoring from Kevin Whyms, though of course if you think about it most of the film shouldnít actually have a score at all.

The Inside benefits greatly from acting that is several cuts above what you often get in films like this. Emmett J. Scanlan [yes, the one from Hollyoaks] is really strong as the most menacing of the intruders and Iím always happy to see the gorgeous Tereza Srboza [Eastern Promises] in a film. The characters always come across as convincing. The whole film has a conviction about it which impressed, and this just about steered me through the more irritating bits. Eoin Macken, who you will probably know more as an actor [Merlin] has an ability to frighten and certainly seems to love the horror genre. I hope The Inside doesnít get lost amidst all the Paranormal Entity- type tripe that gives Ďstraight-to-DVDí Found Footage a bad name, and that he gets a chance to flex his muscles on another horror film, Found Footage or not.

Rating: 7/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14865
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 7:16:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The Inside benefits greatly from acting that is several cuts above what you often get in films like this. Emmett J. Scanlan [yes, the one from Hollyoaks] is really strong as the most menacing of the intruders and Iím always happy to see the gorgeous Tereza Srboza [Eastern Promises] in a film. The characters always come across as convincing. The whole film has a conviction about it which impressed, and this just about steered me through the more irritating bits. Eoin Macken, who you will probably know more as an actor [Merlin] has an ability to frighten and certainly seems to love the horror genre. I hope The Inside doesnít get lost amidst all the Paranormal Entity- type tripe that gives Ďstraight-to-DVDí Found Footage a bad name, and that he gets a chance to flex his muscles on another horror film, Found Footage or not.

Rating: 7/10

This sounds like my sort of film, and if it has a real shit your pants moment all the better, your review along with other reviews on this film has made this a must get now film.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14866
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 7:26:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Videodrome (1982) 8

Sleepy Hollow (1999) 5

Badlands (1973) 6

Days of Heaven (1978) 8

The Master (2012) 4

Interesting list though a number of the films don't belong on this thread as there just too mainstream like Day's Of Heaven and Bourne, and i'd give Sleepy Hollow a higher score.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14867
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/3/2013 11:26:11 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I agree with Evil Bill. I love Sleepy Hollow, Burton captures the gothic feel of the story perfectly. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at and scary too in places. the only thing that may have cost it a 5 star rating is the comedy aspect which i felt is over done slightly. But it's still a beautiful, macabre and thrilling piece of work from Burton. i would score it 4/5 or (8/10 on here).

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14868
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 22/3/2013 9:31:32 AM   
Platter

I wrote a novella. It goes by the title of Music for a Parade of Whores.

Iíve published it as a download on Amazon. Itís free to download until the 26th this month. You donít need to have a Kindle as it can be read on your computer, on a mobile phone, on an iPad and probably other places as well. It is available worldwide.

My previous novella Barker Woo is also free for the same length of time.

---------------------------------

Music for a Parade of Whores

Performance artists perform a taboo challenging show for a shadowy figure known as Mr Herman.

The next day Mr Herman opens his safe to watch one of the snuff movies he has collected. He is shocked to discover that the film canisters are missing.

He assumes the performance artists stole the films. He sets his snuff makers on their trail to recover them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BWFJ47M/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Barker Woo

Dean and Claire Rusk are a happily married couple. They are members of an up and coming post-rock art band called Barker Woo. Preparations are underway for a short tour, and to start the writing and recording of a second album.

They return home from rehearsals to find a dark wooden box in their house. The title of a newly created song has been carved into the lid. They crack open the lid and peer inside. They see something disturbing.

They quickly realise that itís not real. Instead itís an intricate model. They wonder if itís a practical joke or the work of a deranged fan. How did it get indoors? ĎWe donít have many fans, but the ones we do have are just a bit too interested in us.í No one else beyond the band and a roadie could know about the new song, and they wouldnít have enough time to create such an item.

They check the house to see if anything is missing. Everyone they talk to denies having anything to do with it.

The next morning Barker Woo embarks on the start of their short tour.

On the road they discover another sculpture. It seems someone might be sharing the same mental headspace as Claire.

ďĎWe were very interested in a sculpture of yours we saw. It fits something weíre doing as a band. Weíre musicians.í
ĎYes. I know. That sculpture was made for you.í
ĎReally?í
ĎI hope it met with your approval?í
ĎIt was very spooky. Very unnerving. How did you know it would mean so much to me?í
ĎIím just a candle, here to set a mood. My only job is to prepare the both of you. It is important that you can appreciate the immensity of what is going to happen. The right frame of mind will be essential to your future work.í
ĎThatís very vague,í points out Claire.Ē

There will be blood by the end.

'A pretty good read.
Downloaded and read it yesterday. Very disturbing in parts, positively peculiar in others and some very funny bits too.'
Mike_H theafterword.co.uk 20 November 2012 - 6:57pm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6OQOWS/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Enthusiasts of surrealist films by David Lynch (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive), Luis BuŮuel (The Exterminating Angel, Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de Jour and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie), Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre) and to a lesser extent Kenneth Anger (Fireworks, Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome and Lucifer Rising) should find a lot to enjoy in these novellas.

< Message edited by Platter -- 23/3/2013 9:37:49 AM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14869
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 22/3/2013 9:46:15 PM   
Mister Coe

I just picked up a really cheap copy of STORM WARNING... I hear it's quite intense...haven't got time to watch it right now (I'm on a big rewatch of GAME OF THRONES season 2, in preparation of the new series), will try and get to it over the weekend... has there been any previous review of this one? And could you post it? I've heard both good and bad things about this film, would like to hear what you guys think of it.

Too many movies, too little time...

Say what now?

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14870
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/3/2013 3:06:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I just picked up a really cheap copy of STORM WARNING... I hear it's quite intense...haven't got time to watch it right now (I'm on a big rewatch of GAME OF THRONES season 2, in preparation of the new series), will try and get to it over the weekend... has there been any previous review of this one? And could you post it? I've heard both good and bad things about this film, would like to hear what you guys think of it.

Too many movies, too little time...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Storm_Warning_%28UR%29.jpg

STORM WARNING (2007)

Rob and Pia, a couple who are out for a day of sailing become lost in a heavy storm and end up on a desolate island. They come across a barn with no one home. There is a large amount of cannabis in the barn suggests the homeowners may not welcome their presence. There is also no telephone or means of communication to the outside world. But when the deranged, redneck owners, Brett, Jimmy, and their even more terrifying father Poppy return, Rob and Pia realize a fear far beyond anything they have ever known, and resentful of the affluent intruders, the monstrously sadistic hillbillies imprison and enslave the couple, who fearing for their lives, submit to appalling degradation and humiliation. When Rob and Pia learn their kidnappers have no intention of ever letting them go alive, they finally understand they must do whatever it takes just to survive, and whatever it takes means going to a limit they could never have imagined.

This is a superb chiller from the land of oz,a film that pays homage to numerous other films including, Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Straw Dogs, Deliverance etc, it is a brutal slasher that surprisingly works well, given that it's plot is a mix of the films I just mentioned. The direction by Jamie Blanks is no holds barred, he has made one of the most brutal slashers of this decade here, and i'm sure he must have decide to scare the shit out of the censors. He also has some great special effects and camera work plus excellent cinematography for such a low budget film, which goes a long way to lift what is a very unoriginal storyline out of the video hell it could have ened up in. It looks and feels like a high end horror film rather than a low budget slasher, and this is down to the great acting of the main cast who deliver convincing performances that make this situation very believable, and make the rape scene of lawyer Rob's (Robert Taylor) French wife Pia (Nadia FarŤs) one of the most chilling I've seen in a long time. The three rednecks, especially the deranged brothers Jimmy (David Lyons) and Brett (Mathew Wilkinson) make your skin crawl, and their father "Poppy" (John Brumpton) is one sick twisted evil man.

Be warned the gore here and violence is extreme, this is not a film for those who like the latest bunch of toned down 80's remakes, this is more your French horror with noting left to the imagination. I had a hard time watching Nadia Fares being terrorized by this insane family, and knowing the loving husband was a wimp made it more heartbreaking, and hard to watch. With these two characters fighting desperately for their lives against twisted rednecks, you get a very intense battle with very bloody,gruesome deaths. that will turn your stomach,and keep you cringing. One of my favourite moments is the hook trap/personal security trap which was just one truly sick but pure genius twisted death scenes of this film, and it's not the only one, but i'm not giving anything away here. I have the Extreme DVD version of this film, and it's the version I would recommend to all you gorehounds/fans of revenge flicks, for this is heart pounding, squirm in your seat brutal, but brilliant.9/10

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14871
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/3/2013 8:22:30 PM   
Platter

Midnight Movies (2005)
Interesting documentary about cult movies like El Topo, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Eraserhead. A lot of key people are interviewed. Well worth watching.

7 out of 10

Free to stream on LoveFilm if you have a package:

http://www.lovefilm.com/film/?token=%3Fu%3D%252Fcatalog%252Ftitle%252F83855%26m%3DGET

My novel:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14872
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/3/2013 9:23:10 PM   
Mister Coe

Cheers, Evil Bill, I knew I could rely on you! I managed to watch it this afternoon,really liked it, loved the way it had a such a creepy, cold build-up until a great blood-splattered last twenty minutes!

The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the way that the couple were locked up in a big barn with so many things that could use as weapons... I mean, come on, I know the brothers were kinda dumb, but jesus, THAT dumb..?

Whatever, its a pretty decent horror film that keeps it to a short running length (82 minutes), check it out if you get chance. IMO. I'll give it a 7 / 10.

Say what now?

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14873
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/3/2013 6:27:40 PM   
losthighway

A few quickies...

FROM BEYOND... enjoyable enough. Very daft. and quite gross at times but have to disagree with Platter, this is nowhere near the calibre of Re-Animator. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it but nothing special. 3/5

SILENT HILL: REVELATION... Bloody awful! Enough said. 1/5

IN THE FLESH (BBC3)... Only 3 episodes long and Being Human got cancelled to help fund it but have to say the pilot was better than anything in the final season of BH! Episode 2 is on tonight, pilot is on BBC iplayer. It's definitely worth checking out. 4/5

SIDE EFFECTS... Soderburgh's swansong. A really decent little film that sadly goes into cliched territory towards the end but for the first 3/4 is scarily based in reality. This is definitely worth a trip to the cinema. 4/5

TOMB RAIDER (XBox360)... Not that far into it but as 18 cert reboots go this is something quite special. It's got brutal killings, attempted rape, wolf attacks, sacrifices. If you've got a games console, get it. My only major gripe is that there is way to much cinematic cut scenes and not enough actual gameplay, so it feels like you're watching a movie a lot of the time with the odd bit of button pressing thrown in. (so far... 3.5/5)

< Message edited by losthighway -- 24/3/2013 6:28:48 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14874
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/3/2013 5:30:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Cheers, Evil Bill, I knew I could rely on you! I managed to watch it this afternoon,really liked it, loved the way it had a such a creepy, cold build-up until a great blood-splattered last twenty minutes!

The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the way that the couple were locked up in a big barn with so many things that could use as weapons... I mean, come on, I know the brothers were kinda dumb, but jesus, THAT dumb..?

Whatever, its a pretty decent horror film that keeps it to a short running length (82 minutes), check it out if you get chance. IMO. I'll give it a 7 / 10.

Yeah there where a few moments you think are they completely without brains, still high on the fear factor and gore, and for such a low budget it looks awesome.
For some bloody reason I can no longer get images pasted on here.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14875
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/3/2013 5:33:20 PM   
evil bill

quote:

A few quickies...

FROM BEYOND... enjoyable enough. Very daft. and quite gross at times but have to disagree with Platter, this is nowhere near the calibre of Re-Animator. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it but nothing special. 3/5

IN THE FLESH (BBC3)... Only 3 episodes long and Being Human got cancelled to help fund it but have to say the pilot was better than anything in the final season of BH! Episode 2 is on tonight, pilot is on BBC iplayer. It's definitely worth checking out. 4/5

SIDE EFFECTS... Soderburgh's swansong. A really decent little film that sadly goes into cliched territory towards the end but for the first 3/4 is scarily based in reality. This is definitely worth a trip to the cinema. 4/5

TOMB RAIDER (XBox360)... Not that far into it but as 18 cert reboots go this is something quite special. It's got brutal killings, attempted rape, wolf attacks, sacrifices. If you've got a games console, get it. My only major gripe is that there is way to much cinematic cut scenes and not enough actual gameplay, so it feels like you're watching a movie a lot of the time with the odd bit of button pressing thrown in. (so far... 3.5/5)

You have been a busy boy then, and I too thought the Silent Hill sequel was dire, in fact I could not bring myself to do a review of it as I can only give it 0/10.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14876
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 27/3/2013 8:27:37 PM   
evil bill

This Friday night BBC2 is this little gem from the 80's
Saturn 3 (1980)

In the future, Earth is overcrowded and the population relies on distant bases to be fed. In the Saturn 3 station, Major Adam(Kirk Douglas) and the scientist Alex(Farrah Fawcett), who is also his lover and has never been on Earth, have been researching hydroponics for three years in the base alone with their dog Sally. Meanwhile, the psychotic Captain Benson(Harvey Keitel) fails the mental test required to travel to Saturn 3 and kills his replacement, Captain James, taking his place in the mission of assembling and programming the Demi-God series robot Hector to replace one of the scientists in Saturn 3. On the arrival, the mentally disturbed Captain Benson becomes sexually obsessed for Alex. Then he uses an interface to link his brain to program Hector, but incapable to control his emotions, he transfers his homicidal tendency and insanity to Hector. Now Major Adam and Alex are trapped in the station with a dangerous psychopath robot.

It's's a forgotten Sci/Fi horror SATURN 3(1980)starring Kirk Douglas when he still had some star power, maybe a bit to mature for an action hero, but then that did not stop Sly,Willis etc, and he is very convincing as Major Adam, and good enough looking to seduce Alex. This was a bit of a surprise for me, as Charlies Angels TV show was big at the time, but I did not expect the star and sex goddess of that show to be that good, for to appear in a movie which for my money may be a bit cheesy, but is so much fun. And though Farrah is not a great actress she is underrated, for she carries off her role pretty well here against two top class actors, in fact she is a decent actress and in the top of her beauty, plus here she is willing in this to showing parts of her body you would not see again in any other film. Acting as a woman who has never seen Earth she reminded me of Dr. Morbius daughter Altaira in FORBIDDEN PLANET, a sort of sexy innocence yet here she is seducing not only the psychopath Captain Benson but us male viewers. Add in Harvey Keitel in top form as the psycho who puts his own thought's into the robots brain,and we end up with an out of control horny robot after Farrah(who could blame him), and we get a tight simple story line with a tight small cast that works surprisingly well. There's plenty of mayhem and gore which is why it was an 18 at the time of release along with the nudity,and the effects pre CGI are quite good for a 80's Sci/Fi, and led to the technology for the robot in TERMINATOR which of course is a true classic, inspired by this film which I have no doubt about, and also inspired films like The Matrix even ALIENS to a certain degree.

Produced and directed by Stanley Donen, who made some great films in the 50s and 60s (Singin' In The Rain, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Charade), but here he is out of his comfort zone, he's not a Sci/Fi Horror director, and only took up the project after John Barry who wrote and scripted dropped out of directing, due to ill health, or as some have reported clashes with Kirk, now where have I heard this before. The films backers ITC Entertainment, owned by Lew Grade, had hoped this would be as big as ALIEN, being British made and British backed, with a decent budget, but it's disappointing box office consigned this to video Cult Hell.Two scenes that had been filmed for the production were edited out, due to Lew Grade objecting to the subject matter. These were a dream sequence that involved both Adam and Alex killing Benson and a scene where Hector ripped apart Benson's dead body on a table in one of the colony's laboratories. The script by Martin Amis is based on his novel Money, in which the main character, John Self, is based in part on John Barry (Self's father is named Barry Self as well). The ageing film star "Lorne Guyland", obsessed by his own virility, is based on Douglas.[ Similarly, the project that John Self attempts to complete is as wracked with disaster as was the production of this film. Budget was cut along with scenes due to Raise The Titanic, taking up more money and time, and being filmed at the same studios at the same time caused major cut backs on Saturn 3. Also Elmer Bernstein contributes a forgettable music score to the film which is well below his usual standard, and all adds up to a film that could have been so much better, but falls short overall. No classic but a fun bit of horror that owes more to Demon Seed/Alien than any other movie.It deserves a good remastering and a bunch of extras, for it's o a few new things not seen in Sci/Fi at that point, and it is for me a cult classic that needs some love, give it ago, and you just might think, it's bad but good in the same breath.7/10

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14877
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/3/2013 1:26:10 PM   
Vitamin F

SATURN 3 - went to see this when it first came out and it was an 'A' not an 18! The thing that stuck with me was that first death scene involving the airlock and the grill, superb stuff for a kids film! Film hasn't aged at all well though.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14878
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/3/2013 2:05:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

A few quickies...

You have been a busy boy then, and I too thought the Silent Hill sequel was dire, in fact I could not bring myself to do a review of it as I can only give it 0/10.

The movie may not be all that, but the 3D in Silent Hill: Revelation makes the whole thing worth while. One of the best looking 3D movies out there!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14879
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/3/2013 3:43:19 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

SATURN 3 - went to see this when it first came out and it was an 'A' not an 18! The thing that stuck with me was that first death scene involving the airlock and the grill, superb stuff for a kids film! Film hasn't aged at all well though.

Well I was wrong about the 18, but it is a 15 cert now, which is what it is on DVD, the original copy i have is of region 1 DVD which is R rated, which is why I thought it was an 18 in the UK.I would not consider it a kids film as there is nudity and violence, though it was cut before it's cinema release in the UK, so it maybe a tamer version you seen back then, I've only seen it on Video VHS and DVD, which is pretty violent gore wise.

quote:

DONOVAN KURTWOOD
The movie may not be all that, but the 3D in Silent Hill: Revelation makes the whole thing worth while. One of the best looking 3D movies out there!

Well for me DREDD was the best 3D movie of the year, and 3D just did not save for me what was just a video game put to film, where as the first film had some good scares, and felt more like a Horror film, not a video game on film.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 14880
Page:   <<   < prev  494 495 [496] 497 498   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  494 495 [496] 497 498   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI