Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  493 494 [495] 496 497   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/2/2013 10:51:14 PM   
Platter

Alien - Director's Cut (1979 and 2003) 5 out of 10

The longer it goes on the worse it gets. It begins quite good. It's a bit slow but it's interesting. The face hugger was great as a creepy idea and it was very well realised on screen. A few of the shocks surrounding it were very hammy and unworthy of such a well regarded movie (Skerritt knocks over a box and the hugger falls from the ceiling). The chest bursting was badly done as the alien model is very stiff and obviously fake looking. The death of Tom Skerritt in the tunnels was geographically very confused and the technology Lambert is using to track movement inconsistent. The scene is poorly done. A lot of the action money shot moments were poorly filmed with too much fast editing cutting around everything (I assume as it was too difficult to get the shots right rather than deliberate censorship). Ian Holm's fight was also poorly filmed with Yaphet Kotto's weapon looking like soft rubber. The jumpcut between the model head and the real head of Holm's was terribly done and far from seamless (Weaver's arm is in shot and then suddenly vanishes). The computer self destruct (why would a ship have such a thing anyway?) sequence, including Kotto and Lambert's death, was poor. Then the coda on the escape ship was terrible and embarrassing looking for the alien. The acting has a mumbling naturalism that instead of coming across as realistic feels more like weak acting in my opinion. I never used to like the film but I would now say it's very average. It's just a much cruder movie than I expected. Also the scale of the Space Jockey changes due to the difference between kids in spacesuits for the long shots and the adult actors in the closer shots. I get a strong feeling of lots and lots of hard work coming off the screen. The sense of how difficult it was to achieve this stuff is hard to ignore. It creates a sort of ponderous, borderline hard going quality to the rather turgid drama. The pace is a little slow but I didn't mind it. Visually I don't think it's all that amazing looking. I suppose the movie can't have the impact it once did before sequels and rip-offs stole all of its ideas and mysteries.

Aliens - Special Edition (1986 and 1990) 9

Very good film. The script is very inventive with lots of clever action set pieces. Also there is a lot of funny dialogue. The special effects are looking very creaky now with unconvincing model work. Also the aliens are poorly realised. There often isn't enough movement on them as their arms either don't move or they're just standing still while getting blown up. Apart from the special effects the rest of it holds up very well.

Alien3 - Extended Version (1992 and 2003) 6

The extended version is too long. It's very average and not well filmed for scares. It's a decent enough movie but it doesn't really do anything particularly well. The special effects were pretty dire with the alien looking terrible in almost every shot, no matter if it's a rotoscoped rod puppet or a man in a suit. The last chase through the tunnels made little sense. I had no idea why they were doing this, and I was very confused geographically as to what was going on. I thought the film got very bad when the company arrives at the last few minutes. It's a weak film but it works well enough overall despite its many flaws and it is mildly entertaining.

Alien: Resurrection (1997) 3

The French whimsy is both terrible and totally out of keeping with the previous films in the series. The film has no tension, no mystery or any new interesting ideas. Also the French supporting actors are badly cast. It's just really boring after about an hour. Even the central underwater set piece was boring. As a stand alone sci-fi film it's rubbish, as a part of the Alien series it's a joke. The only thing going for it is a general, expensive, glossy technical nuts and bolts competence. The aliens were okay for once, but they were seen too much and had lost their mysterious deadly majesty by now. The new creature at the end was very poor. Also the evil scientist's motivations of remaining so evil all the way to the end makes little sense as surely his own survival trumps doing people over? I really disliked the movie. It doesn't work and has the air of being badly botched artistically on pretty much every level. Also Weaver gives a weird, campy, smiling performance without any fear which is terrible.

--------------------------

Looper (2012) 8

Easy to admire, harder to love. I think it will take a second viewing a few months later to really tell how good it is. I expect it to improve with time. It's obviously a Blade Runner style cult film. I liked it but the story goes in an unexpected direction that isn't as interesting as where it starts from. It would probably have been better if Emily Blunt was introduced earlier as she doesn't turn up until 50 minutes into the film. As it is the story changes into something else rather late on to make for a smooth transition. The second half feels a bit like Signs or 6th Sense. The logic is easy to pick apart but who cares when it's good entertainment. I just accept the logic for what it is. It's a strong movie.

Cats Eyes (1984) 6

A Stephen King scripted portmanteau film. The first story of James Woods using a sinister corporation to stop him smoking was good and funny, but it doesn't have much of an ending. 6 out of 10. The second story of a gangster forcing a man to walk around the ledge of his penthouse building was better. Again quite funny and the actor playing the gangster gives a big performance. The special effects looking down at the street are not convincing - I assume it was a forced perspective set. The final sound effect is very funny. 7 out of 10. The third part was weak, but watchable enough as it was quickly paced. A little monster tries to kill a girl as she sleeps, with only a cat to protect her. The idea for the story is rubbish and the execution hampered by poor special effects and a bad looking creature. A generous 4 out of 10. Also it is never explained why the little girl can communicate over large distances with the cat through shop windows at earlier points in the movie. I can see the joins in the King's writing with the stories clearly being made up as they go along. A very watchable comedy with bits of horror.

Creepshow (1982) 3

Romero is a weak director and Stephen King is a writer of debatable merit (I've not read any of his books so I'm basing this opinion on the film adaptions of his novels). This film is badly made, staged, written, acted and directed. It's really a cluster-fuck of considerable all round crappiness. It's not scary, it's not funny, it's not dramatic. It's just a bit boring. It really doesn't work. "Father's Day" has a overlong build up and then a very bad slasher movie second half, topped with a piss poor non-ending. 3 out of 10. "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" was short but boring. It works on no levels and is just a waste of time. King gives a very over the top performance that isn't too good. 2 out of 10. "Something to Tide You Over" starts poor, has an okay middle with the heads buried in the sand to be drowned part, and then an awful ending. 3 out of 10. "The Crate" is badly made but the ideas are quite good, just very poorly executed. A very generous 4 out of 10. "They're Creeping Up on You!" was boring and obvious. I couldn't be bothered with it so I gave up on it. Overall a very weak film.

The Missouri Breaks (1976) 5

A very peculiar Western, even before Brando turns up and gives his odd Irish accented performance. I suppose its post-modern in places, such as when a man after his trial is asked to give a 'colourful' statement to entertain everyone. The female lead gets a better character to play than is usual for the genre. There are a lot of good, interesting ideas in the film but it's not executed with any élan. Also visually it's pretty messy with I believe deliberately mushy and dark cinematography. There is some merit to the movie, but overall it misses much more than it hits. Also it was borderline boring.

< Message edited by Platter -- 26/2/2013 10:46:13 AM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14821
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/2/2013 12:11:51 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Alien and Aliens are a product of their times so looking back on it decades later, of course it will seem dated. Did you honestly expect ILM or Weta level CGI/ special effects work? Of course they look fake now, but at the time of release it didn't. It was seen as revolutionary. Indeed i still find some of the stuff outstanding, the design of the interior of Nostromo, LV-426, the Sulaco - which looks more believable as a model work than some CGI stuff i've seen. I'm afraid your reviews just sound like nitpicking to me.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14822
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/2/2013 10:41:24 AM   
Platter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Alien and Aliens are a product of their times so looking back on it decades later, of course it will seem dated. ... I'm afraid your reviews just sound like nitpicking to me.

I've highlighted the bits that I consider nitpicking. Everything else, in my opinion, has nothing to do with the age of the films.

The longer it goes on the worse it gets. It begins quite good. It's a bit slow but it's interesting. The face hugger was great as a creepy idea and it was very well realised on screen. A few of the shocks surrounding it were very hammy and unworthy of such a well regarded movie (Skerritt knocks over a box and the hugger falls from the ceiling). The chest bursting was badly done as the alien model is very stiff and obviously fake looking. The death of Tom Skerritt in the tunnels was geographically very confused and the technology Lambert is using to track movement inconsistent. The scene is poorly done. A lot of the action money shot moments were poorly filmed with too much fast editing cutting around everything (I assume as it was too difficult to get the shots right rather than deliberate censorship). Ian Holm's fight was also poorly filmed with Yaphet Kotto's weapon looking like soft rubber. The jumpcut between the model head and the real head of Holm's was terribly done and far from seamless (Weaver's arm is in shot and then suddenly vanishes). The computer self destruct (why would a ship have such a thing anyway?) sequence, including Kotto and Lambert's death, was poor. Then the coda on the escape ship was terrible and embarrassing looking for the alien. The acting has a mumbling naturalism that instead of coming across as realistic feels more like weak acting in my opinion. I never used to like the film but I would now say it's very average. It's just a much cruder movie than I expected. Also the scale of the Space Jockey changes due to the difference between kids in spacesuits for the long shots and the adult actors in the closer shots. I get a strong feeling of lots and lots of hard work coming off the screen. The sense of how difficult it was to achieve this stuff is hard to ignore. It creates a sort of ponderous, borderline hard going quality to the rather turgid drama. The pace is a little slow but I didn't mind it. Visually I don't think it's all that amazing looking. I suppose the movie can't have the impact it once did before sequels and rip-offs stole all of its ideas and mysteries.

Very good film. The script is very inventive with lots of clever action set pieces. Also there is a lot of funny dialogue. The special effects are looking very creaky now with unconvincing model work. Also the aliens are poorly realised. There often isn't enough movement on them as their arms either don't move or they're just standing still while getting blown up. Apart from the special effects the rest of it holds up very well.

< Message edited by Platter -- 26/2/2013 10:44:24 AM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14823
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/2/2013 10:10:22 PM   
dannyfletch

Thank you! The Master was by far a better film than Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook!
Also visually Life of Pi was a huge disappointment for me as the CGI was diabolical, The Hobbit was far better visually but didn't even get a mention!
Good point on Tommy Lee winning over the far better Ralph Fiennes! I also felt that Gary Oldman was robbed year before last for his excellent portrayal of George Smiley in the excellent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14824
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/2/2013 9:36:44 AM   
Platter

Hit and Run (2012)

An appealing straight to rental style action-comedy about a getaway driver in witness protection who has to drive his girlfriend back to LA, the one place he shouldn’t go back to.

I got a strong early 1991-94 Tarantino vibe from it. The dialogue often spins off into non-plot essential and comic digressions. The difference is that the characters will talk about modern relationships or direct character failings instead of general pop cultural trivia. It’s more mature and less flashy than Quentin’s discussions. It works well. There isn’t much action as the dialogue definitely gets much more of the screen time, so don’t expect a lean, mean stripped down little action film.

There are moments of sudden violence which has a bit more impact to it than is usual. I guess the unexpected abruptness of it makes it look nastier than it really is.

It was well acted, written and directed. It’s probably the best Tarantinoesque film I’ve seen not by Tarantino – probably because they weren’t aiming for that and they would be surprised if told about the comparison.

8 out of 10

My novel:

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14825
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/2/2013 7:43:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Visually I don't think it's all that amazing looking. I suppose the movie can't have the impact it once did before sequels and rip-offs stole all of its ideas and mysteries.

Apart from the special effects the rest of it holds up very well.

mildly entertaining.

It doesn't work and has the air of being badly botched artistically on pretty much every level. Also Weaver gives a weird, campy, smiling performance without any fear which is terrible.

Looper (2012) 8 

It's a strong movie.

Cats Eyes (1984) 6
A very watchable comedy with bits of horror.

Creepshow (1982) 3

A L I E N is a masterpiece compared to all it's sequels, visually stunning, superb script, awesome direction, amazing score, but of course like Frankenstein 1931 another milestone in horror cinema history, it's effects in places look dated. But overall it still looks more impressive than any Sci/Fi horror film out there,but as you where brought up on a diet of fast forward videos and computer games, I can see why you scored the average LOOPER and ALIENS so high compared to the Classic ALIEN that gave birth to ALIENS (which by the way is one of the great Sequels of all time,)and to some extent John Carpenters THE THING. 

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14826
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/2/2013 8:45:14 PM   
evil bill

MAMA (2013)
This is the story  of two little girls who disappeared into the woods the day that their mother was murdered. When they are rescued years later and begin a new life, they find that someone or something still wants to come tuck them in at night. The day their father killed their mother, sisters Victoria and Lilly vanished near their suburban neighbourhood. For five long years, their Uncle Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and his girlfriend, Annabel (Jessica Chastain), have been madly searching for them. But when, incredibly, the kids are found alive in a decrepit cabin, the couple wonders if the girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.

As the good Dr has pointed out this is an old-fashioned chiller that's low on gore and high on atmosphere, not unlike some of the better Japanese shockers that came out after The Ring, or the British horror of The Others and Woman In Black. It's not that original as The Others, and like that film uses horror clichés to signal shocks like loud noises, slamming doors and flickering lights. But like The Others it works, or at least on first viewing, for I found myself jumping the odd time along with the wife and all of the other cinema goers, which was down to the fine cast, great direction by Andres Muschietti( by the way, Mama is a remake of a short he made in 2008 but this is his first feature) and excellent script. There really is noting like a good Ghost Story to set you on edge, and this is a good one, though you will spot some film nods to other chiller's of this kind, but I can forgive that, as it's near impossible to make a totally original horror film these days.

Now for me the key to why this works so well is down to  the children, at the start we have 1-year-old Lily and 3-year-old Victoria they melt the heart, and the camera loves them, there so beautiful they reminded me of my own girls when they where that age. Then as we move on in time there's 8-year-old Victoria (Megan Charpentier ) you might remember her from films like Jennifer's Body and  Red Riding Hood, she manages to balance innocence with experience of a damaged 8 year old who's been traumatized by her past. But we still get glimpses of the little girl who just wants her mommy back, her real mother not the new woman in her uncle's life, who they now see as father and protector, after all she is still a child, though her emotional state seems years ahead of her age. Then there's the 6 year old Lily (Isabelle Nélisse) her movements appear more animalistic at times than that of a child,she also seems so serious in her expressions, which is chilling to watch yet also riveting, the sign of a great actress in the wings. The adults Jessica Chastain as the Jazz playing girlfriend and Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau as the uncle are very well cast, both beliveable in there roles, though it's Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau love of the girls, his caring nature shines for them,and he comes across so sincere and honest. You truly believe that he is the kind of guy who would spend 5 years, and loads of money he doesn't have in the hope that his nieces might still be alive.This cast help lift this film to a higher level, where you are captured by the inter play between them, which just adds to the chills and scares, which there are plenty of.

Now on to the CGI which there is a large dose of, and here there's a bit of a let down, as the ghost in the tale looks just to much like CGI, plus there's a spider walk again stole from a classic, and again it's not that impressive. As for the director, well he delivers the thrills and it looks great in places, and this is fine for a first feature film, though there's room for improvement, IE better use of CGI. Of course it has all the hall marks of a Guillermo Del Toro film, and thankfully is better than the so so Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, though again there is a scene I felt was taken from this also, but I am not going to spoil the fun as it is a good chiller that I feel needs to be seen on the big screen. Now there is no gore for us gore hounds, but it has all I wanted from a ghost story film, which is chills and a couple of real jump out of your seat moments, so for the first decent horror chiller of this year it gets a decent 7/10 

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14827
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/2/2013 8:49:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Thank you! The Master was by far a better film than Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook!
Also visually Life of Pi was a huge disappointment for me as the CGI was diabolical, The Hobbit was far better visually but didn't even get a mention!
Good point on Tommy Lee winning over the far better Ralph Fiennes! I also felt that Gary Oldman was robbed year before last for his excellent portrayal of George Smiley in the excellent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!

Agree with all your points there, and most of all with Gary Oldman not getting the Oscar he so deserves, but then look a Al Pacino he gets it for a so so Scent Of A Woman, not THE GODFATHER or even SCARFACE, or so many other great films.

Post #: 14828
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/2/2013 11:54:19 PM   
kiba24

Un Chien Andalou

[image]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4nBe7nqRrMVOvxGcf4zlvFihwVEtPC-JgmQpaX-Dtj83s_gce[/image]

A silent film which is surreal and is very anti-narrative. It is a dream which starts out with one of the most controversial scenes in cinema, the cutting of a woman's eye and then cutting to weather which symbolizes the cutting of the eye. Another controversial but slightly less so is the scene with 2 real dead donkey's on top of a piano tied to two priests which makes you assume the creators are very anti-religion. There is a lot to talk about the film in terms of what certain things represent for example the straight lines on the box which the film's structure certainly isn't so there is a bit or irony in that. The flies signifying evil and disgust which is what the rapist could be described as. Everything is what the creators have dreamed about and wanted it to make no sense at all.

Considering the film is full of gruesome imagery by today's standard's think of the up roar it would have caused in the 1920's. I really enjoyed it and I believe it is available via youtube and thoroughly recommend it.

< Message edited by kiba24 -- 27/2/2013 11:57:11 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14829
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 5:30:21 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Well more disappointment for me in this years Oscars as more excellent films and actors where robbed of the recognition they deserve!
As much as I like Day Lewis as an actor I can't help but feel that Pheonix was robbed for his excellent unhinged performance in The Master, a film that was also rudely ignored for its excellent screenplay and cinematography.
Emmanuel Riva certainly deserved the best actress Oscar rather than Jennifer Lawrence for her over the top and hammy performance in the tiresome and over rated Silver Linings Playbook.
Also the excellent French film Rust and Bone should definitely have got more recognition than it did as it was miles better than most films America had to offer!

The Oscars are bullshit anyway. I fucking hate them. Usually the same kinds of films getting recognised and ignored. Probably good news if you're a biopic, true-life drama, musical, overcoming adversity/disability etc story, politically correct, etc. Not so good news if you're a horror, sci-fi, action movie etc.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 14830
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 5:31:43 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

MAMA (2013)
This is the story  of two little girls who disappeared into the woods the day that their mother was murdered. When they are rescued years later and begin a new life, they find that someone or something still wants to come tuck them in at night. The day their father killed their mother, sisters Victoria and Lilly vanished near their suburban neighbourhood. For five long years, their Uncle Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and his girlfriend, Annabel (Jessica Chastain), have been madly searching for them. But when, incredibly, the kids are found alive in a decrepit cabin, the couple wonders if the girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.

As the good Dr has pointed out this is an old-fashioned chiller that's low on gore and high on atmosphere, not unlike some of the better Japanese shockers that came out after The Ring, or the British horror of The Others and Woman In Black. It's not that original as The Others, and like that film uses horror clichés to signal shocks like loud noises, slamming doors and flickering lights. But like The Others it works, or at least on first viewing, for I found myself jumping the odd time along with the wife and all of the other cinema goers, which was down to the fine cast, great direction by Andres Muschietti( by the way, Mama is a remake of a short he made in 2008 but this is his first feature) and excellent script. There really is noting like a good Ghost Story to set you on edge, and this is a good one, though you will spot some film nods to other chiller's of this kind, but I can forgive that, as it's near impossible to make a totally original horror film these days.

Now for me the key to why this works so well is down to  the children, at the start we have 1-year-old Lily and 3-year-old Victoria they melt the heart, and the camera loves them, there so beautiful they reminded me of my own girls when they where that age. Then as we move on in time there's 8-year-old Victoria (Megan Charpentier ) you might remember her from films like Jennifer's Body and  Red Riding Hood, she manages to balance innocence with experience of a damaged 8 year old who's been traumatized by her past. But we still get glimpses of the little girl who just wants her mommy back, her real mother not the new woman in her uncle's life, who they now see as father and protector, after all she is still a child, though her emotional state seems years ahead of her age. Then there's the 6 year old Lily (Isabelle Nélisse) her movements appear more animalistic at times than that of a child,she also seems so serious in her expressions, which is chilling to watch yet also riveting, the sign of a great actress in the wings. The adults Jessica Chastain as the Jazz playing girlfriend and Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau as the uncle are very well cast, both beliveable in there roles, though it's Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau love of the girls, his caring nature shines for them,and he comes across so sincere and honest. You truly believe that he is the kind of guy who would spend 5 years, and loads of money he doesn't have in the hope that his nieces might still be alive.This cast help lift this film to a higher level, where you are captured by the inter play between them, which just adds to the chills and scares, which there are plenty of.

Now on to the CGI which there is a large dose of, and here there's a bit of a let down, as the ghost in the tale looks just to much like CGI, plus there's a spider walk again stole from a classic, and again it's not that impressive. As for the director, well he delivers the thrills and it looks great in places, and this is fine for a first feature film, though there's room for improvement, IE better use of CGI. Of course it has all the hall marks of a Guillermo Del Toro film, and thankfully is better than the so so Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, though again there is a scene I felt was taken from this also, but I am not going to spoil the fun as it is a good chiller that I feel needs to be seen on the big screen. Now there is no gore for us gore hounds, but it has all I wanted from a ghost story film, which is chills and a couple of real jump out of your seat moments, so for the first decent horror chiller of this year it gets a decent 7/10 

A film we scored almost the same and felt pretty much the same way about, no classic, but it did its job generally.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14831
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 5:34:15 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: kiba24

Un Chien Andalou

[image]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4nBe7nqRrMVOvxGcf4zlvFihwVEtPC-JgmQpaX-Dtj83s_gce[/image]

A silent film which is surreal and is very anti-narrative. It is a dream which starts out with one of the most controversial scenes in cinema, the cutting of a woman's eye and then cutting to weather which symbolizes the cutting of the eye. Another controversial but slightly less so is the scene with 2 real dead donkey's on top of a piano tied to two priests which makes you assume the creators are very anti-religion. There is a lot to talk about the film in terms of what certain things represent for example the straight lines on the box which the film's structure certainly isn't so there is a bit or irony in that. The flies signifying evil and disgust which is what the rapist could be described as. Everything is what the creators have dreamed about and wanted it to make no sense at all.

Considering the film is full of gruesome imagery by today's standard's think of the up roar it would have caused in the 1920's. I really enjoyed it and I believe it is available via youtube and thoroughly recommend it.

Now this really is a wierd/strange movie and a perfect one to start off with, its imagery and ideas still startle. And welcome

(in reply to kiba24)
Post #: 14832
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 5:38:32 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

The extended version is too long. It's very average and not well filmed for scares. It's a decent enough movie but it doesn't really do anything particularly well. The special effects were pretty dire with the alien looking terrible in almost every shot, no matter if it's a rotoscoped rod puppet or a man in a suit. The last chase through the tunnels made little sense. I had no idea why they were doing this, and I was very confused geographically as to what was going on. I thought the film got very bad when the company arrives at the last few minutes. It's a weak film but it works well enough overall despite its many flaws and it is mildly entertaining.

The French whimsy is both terrible and totally out of keeping with the previous films in the series. The film has no tension, no mystery or any new interesting ideas. Also the French supporting actors are badly cast. It's just really boring after about an hour. Even the central underwater set piece was boring. As a stand alone sci-fi film it's rubbish, as a part of the Alien series it's a joke. The only thing going for it is a general, expensive, glossy technical nuts and bolts competence. The aliens were okay for once, but they were seen too much and had lost their mysterious deadly majesty by now. The new creature at the end was very poor. Also the evil scientist's motivations of remaining so evil all the way to the end makes little sense as surely his own survival trumps doing people over? I really disliked the movie. It doesn't work and has the air of being badly botched artistically on pretty much every level. Also Weaver gives a weird, campy, smiling performance without any fear which is terrible.

Looper (2012) 8

Easy to admire, harder to love. I think it will take a second viewing a few months later to really tell how good it is. I expect it to improve with time. It's obviously a Blade Runner style cult film. I liked it but the story goes in an unexpected direction that isn't as interesting as where it starts from. It would probably have been better if Emily Blunt was introduced earlier as she doesn't turn up until 50 minutes into the film. As it is the story changes into something else rather late on to make for a smooth transition. The second half feels a bit like Signs or 6th Sense. The logic is easy to pick apart but who cares when it's good entertainment. I just accept the logic for what it is. It's a strong movie.

Cats Eyes (1984) 6

A Stephen King scripted portmanteau film. The first story of James Woods using a sinister corporation to stop him smoking was good and funny, but it doesn't have much of an ending. 6 out of 10. The second story of a gangster forcing a man to walk around the ledge of his penthouse building was better. Again quite funny and the actor playing the gangster gives a big performance. The special effects looking down at the street are not convincing - I assume it was a forced perspective set. The final sound effect is very funny. 7 out of 10. The third part was weak, but watchable enough as it was quickly paced. A little monster tries to kill a girl as she sleeps, with only a cat to protect her. The idea for the story is rubbish and the execution hampered by poor special effects and a bad looking creature. A generous 4 out of 10. Also it is never explained why the little girl can communicate over large distances with the cat through shop windows at earlier points in the movie. I can see the joins in the King's writing with the stories clearly being made up as they go along. A very watchable comedy with bits of horror.

Creepshow (1982) 3

Romero is a weak director and Stephen King is a writer of debatable merit (I've not read any of his books so I'm basing this opinion on the film adaptions of his novels). This film is badly made, staged, written, acted and directed. It's really a cluster-fuck of considerable all round crappiness. It's not scary, it's not funny, it's not dramatic. It's just a bit boring. It really doesn't work. "Father's Day" has a overlong build up and then a very bad slasher movie second half, topped with a piss poor non-ending. 3 out of 10. "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" was short but boring. It works on no levels and is just a waste of time. King gives a very over the top performance that isn't too good. 2 out of 10. "Something to Tide You Over" starts poor, has an okay middle with the heads buried in the sand to be drowned part, and then an awful ending. 3 out of 10. "The Crate" is badly made but the ideas are quite good, just very poorly executed. A very generous 4 out of 10. "They're Creeping Up on You!" was boring and obvious. I couldn't be bothered with it so I gave up on it. Overall a very weak film.

The Missouri Breaks (1976) 5

A very peculiar Western, even before Brando turns up and gives his odd Irish accented performance. I suppose its post-modern in places, such as when a man after his trial is asked to give a 'colourful' statement to entertain everyone. The female lead gets a better character to play than is usual for the genre. There are a lot of good, interesting ideas in the film but it's not executed with any élan. Also visually it's pretty messy with I believe deliberately mushy and dark cinematography. There is some merit to the movie, but overall it misses much more than it hits. Also it was borderline boring.

Always love reading your reviews even if your opinions are even odder than mine. I also prefer Aliens to Alien but that's as far as it goes in me agreeing with you! I think Alien hasn't dated much at all due to its semi-realistic handling and sets, and most of the effects in this and Aliens are far better than much of the CG crap you get today in my opinion1

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14833
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 5:51:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

Just a tiny review as very busy on HCF at the moment and David Gillespie did the [excellent] review of this film. Maybe I'll do a proper review when I get the DVD. But basically....WOW! A stunning visionary masterpiece, has elements of The Fountain, The Hours, maybe Short Cuts and quite a few futuristic sci-fi movies, but feels highly original too as it tells several different stories ranging from the 17th century to the far future. This film has some of the best editing I've ever seen as the tales are told virtually simultaneously and weave in and out of each other. As to what it's all about, I'm a little lost except that it seems to be a cry out against repression, but who cares? Seriously, this film is extraordinary and a must-see for followers of this thread! And even Hugh Grant is good in it!
9.5/10 [and I might have given it 10 if it wasn't for some dodgy make-up].

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14834
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/2/2013 8:12:18 PM   
kiba24

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Un Chien Andalou

Now this really is a wierd/strange movie and a perfect one to start off with, its imagery and ideas still startle. And welcome

Thanks.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14835
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/3/2013 5:25:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Un Chien Andalou

Thanks.

WELCOME INDEED!!!,and what a good start, a real surreal  nasty  film from the 1920's, a film that did cause uproar and the censors nightmares, and I have not seen this one in a very very long time. You'll be right at home here, as this is the thread for all films from the darkside of movie making, just set up for people like you and us, "for we are Legion".

(in reply to kiba24)
Post #: 14836
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/3/2013 6:02:55 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I'm an admirer of the work of James Wan and Leigh Whannell. They gave birth to the Saw franchise, led Kevin bacon on the path to vengeance in the gritty vigilante thriller, Death Sentence, and have hit a it big once more with Insidious. However, I watched Dead Silence last weekend, and, to tell you the truth, it was awful. The story was good, but it was devoid of any genuine scares. By all accounts anyway, it's not the film Wan and Whannell wanted to make anyway as there was constant studio interference. A missed opportunity.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14837
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/3/2013 11:51:29 AM   
Dr Lenera

A man wakes up alone in a middle of a wilderness with no recollection of the past seven days. He is Matt Sadler, and this is happened to him several times before. Finding his way home he discovers that the police are suspicious of his repeated disappearances, his wife thinks he is doing something wrong, and he is plagued by terrifying nightmares when he closes his eyes. When his wife leaves for work, he visits his mistress, seemingly the reason his wife was angry, but she tells him she is ending their relationship. Matt retraces his steps to uncover his missing actions during the blackouts, his search leads him out of the city and in to the countryside, to a remote farm owned by loner Calham. The cold farmer is suspicious of Matt but instantly sparks a dark sense of déjà vu in his visitor..

It’s a pretty good time for indie horror in the UK at the moment, and the latest impressive directorial debut is this movie from Leigh Dovey, who has had to wait four years for his film to get a DVD release. The Fallow Field is certainly unusual, and may disappoint if you expect a chiller along the lines of your average horror movie that you get out at the moment. It’s grim and has its blood and scares alright, but it’s also a film that defiantly refuses to become what you think it is going to be and subverts expectations throughout. It’s quite a slow moving piece, relying much on chat between the two protagonists, but has the most un-nerving atmosphere I’ve experienced in a film since the stunning Kill List. The Fallow Field is not up to the standard of that film, but it is another disturbing ride into the heart of darkness that still manages to be as English as bad weather and a nice cup of tea.

The Fallow Field is billed as Memento meets Wolf Creek set against the backdrop of English harvest time, and I guess if you want to compare it other flicks than it’s not a bad description, though it really has a peculiar flavour all its own. As I watched, I also detected faint echoes of The Cottage and Children Of The Corn, though I’m not really giving anything away by saying this, and I doubt you’ll be able to predict much of what takes place even if you have the afore-mentioned films in mind. In fact, this really is one of those movies that works better the less you know, so I’m only going to mention elements of the story that occur in the first half and be infuriatingly vague about what follows. I think you’ll probably thank me for doing this once you have seen the film, though I am going to quote Wikipedia:

Fallow is the stage of crop rotation in which the land is deliberately not used to raise a crop. Ground may be fallowed as part of a larger crop rotation plan or as a method to conserve moisture as in the summer fallow technique used in dry-land farming.

This may or may not tell you what the film is about.

We begin with some shots of the countryside that are beautiful and yet filled with foreboding, in fact I must say right here that this movie is stunningly photographed throughout by Nick Kindon, often making superb use of darkness with just one or two lighter elements. This really does at times make the film look more expensive than it is. For the first third, we follow a kind of mystery as Matt tries to find out why he keeps on waking up in the middle of a field with no memory. I initially wondered if his mistress had something to do with it, but it was just a red herring, though I suppose it helps build the picture of a somewhat normal guy who can’t quite do the right thing for anyone. He finds himself in the countryside, and here we have a scene of absolutely amazing suspense as he slowly walks onto a farm. The camera often rocks ever so slightly, something I noticed because I watch too many films, but which many people may not do, yet still feel very uneasy. This is accompanied by rather scary music [or is it sound effects? It’s hard to tell] that sounds positively otherworldly, as if aliens are somehow involved in all this.

Well, there’s no aliens, but the supernatural certainly becomes a part of the story, though not for a while. The tension is stretched out to breaking point after Matt had met Calham, the farmer who straightaway seems to know more than he is letting on, while Matt appears to be recalling more and more. The talk goes on and on, the dialogue maybe not as good as all that but extremely well delivered by virtual newcomers Steve Garry and Michael Dacre, the latter especially good as the archetypal farmer with something to hide. We have another superb use of sound where Calham moves in to attack Matt and the noise of a kettle boiling becomes defining, after which The Fallow Field seems to flirt with ‘torture porn’ for a bit, but never really going ‘all the way’. Scenes are often uncomfortably drawn out though most of the blood and guts is either off-screen or just shown simply, and far more mileage is achieved by the claustrophobic interiors and the skilful lighting that often keeps Calham shrouded in darkness. I guess if you’re starting to expect a Saw variant you’ll be disappointed, but then the film becomes something else again and I don’t want to say much more!

What transpires is almost a two-hander between the sadistic farmer and his prisoner, though that is certainly not to say nothing happens. The pace is indeed leisurely until a hair-raising climax but the surprises mount up, as do the scares with one of the most memorable scenes involving earth and a hand since Any Irving had that nightmare back in 1976. The themes explored include personal responsibility, revenge, nature and regeneration, while at times the film really does make you wonder what you might do in the circumstances depicted. As for our crazy farmer, you may well end up feeling sympathy for him. He becomes a really interesting character, someone who doesn’t seem to be bothered about causing immense suffering to others but actually ends up seeming more a person who’s just wrongheaded and just deals with a terrible personal tragedy in the wrong way. I would have liked to have learnt more about him, in fact the whole story could have done with elaboration, and some may feel frustrated by the end, but it’s not automatically a bad thing if you’re left wanting more. In any case, I wouldn’t mind seeing a sequel that expanded the concept and world of The Fallow Field, or even a more elaborate remake with greater funds.

One of this film’s greatest assets is its aural aspect. Having music blend with sound effects is nothing new these days, but it’s done so brilliantly here I have to mention it. Think about how much less effect Psycho would have had without Bernard Herrmann’s all-string score, because here Rob Lord’s eerie soundscapes, which sometimes subtly suggest rural England, and the sound design add such an immense amount to the film it wouldn’t be half the movie it is without them. Often you just hear the sound of farm machinery, and in fact I can hear it now, ringing in my ears, a testament to how well the film worked. There’s an occasional awkwardness to The Fallow Field which probably couldn’t be helped, but it’s still a fine achievement that Dovey can be immensely proud of…..though it may put you off going anywhere near a farm for good.

Rating: 8/10

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14838
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/3/2013 7:36:04 PM   
losthighway

Saw it this afternoon. Some good performances, stunning cinematography and a dodgy incest, sex/death vibe undercurrent throughout. Not going to say much about it other than it's not all that original (reminded me of the childhood flashbacks in Dexter!) and the marketing suggests a horror. It's not! Just go in and let it wash over you... this is definitely a marmite movie. Have to say I really liked it although that 5* review from Empire is pushing it!

Overall: 4/5

I watched all of Weeds: The Final Season this weekend. It would appear SKY Atlantic are not showing S7 or S8 so I ended up importing both. Anyway, for fans of the show I think it was a decent ending which followed Housewives/Ghost Whisperer by jumping into the future in the final two episodes to let you see what happens to them all. It's worth importing!

Plus, I'm seeing this next Thursday night...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14839
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/3/2013 8:31:37 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Saw it this afternoon. Some good performances, stunning cinematography and a dodgy incest, sex/death vibe undercurrent throughout. Not going to say much about it other than it's not all that original (reminded me of the childhood flashbacks in Dexter!) and the marketing suggests a horror. It's not! Just go in and let it wash over you... this is definitely a marmite movie. Have to say I really liked it although that 5* review from Empire is pushing it!

I watched all of Weeds: The Final Season this weekend. It would appear SKY Atlantic are not showing S7 or S8 so I ended up importing both. Anyway, for fans of the show I think it was a decent ending which followed Housewives/Ghost Whisperer by jumping into the future in the final two episodes to let you see what happens to them all. It's worth importing!

Can't wait to see Stoker, it looks incredible visually, and it's director by the genius behind Oldboy, so it's bound to be great!

Empire have given Maniac 4 stars, which surprised me. Will definitely be checking it out.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14840
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/3/2013 6:58:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

It's a pretty good time for indie horror in the UK at the moment, and the latest impressive directorial debut is this movie from Leigh Dovey, who has had to wait four years for his film to get a DVD release. The Fallow Field is certainly unusual, and may disappoint if you expect a chiller along the lines of your average horror movie that you get out at the moment. It's grim and has its blood and scares alright, but it's also a film that defiantly refuses to become what you think it is going to be and subverts expectations throughout. It's quite a slow moving piece, relying much on chat between the two protagonists, but has the most un-nerving atmosphere I've experienced in a film since the stunning Kill List. The Fallow Field is not up to the standard of that film, but it is another disturbing ride into the heart of darkness that still manages to be as English as bad weather and a nice cup of tea.

The Fallow Field is billed as Memento meets Wolf Creek set against the backdrop of English harvest time, and I guess if you want to compare it other flicks than it's not a bad description, though it really has a peculiar flavour all its own. As I watched, I also detected faint echoes of The Cottage and Children Of The Corn, though I'm not really giving anything away by saying this, and I doubt you'll be able to predict much of what takes place even if you have the afore-mentioned films in mind. In fact, this really is one of those movies that works better the less you know, so I'm only going to mention elements of the story that occur in the first half and be infuriatingly vague about what follows. I think you'll probably thank me for doing this once you have seen the film, though I am going to quote Wikipedia:

One of this film's greatest assets is its aural aspect. Having music blend with sound effects is nothing new these days, but it's done so brilliantly here I have to mention it. Think about how much less effect Psycho would have had without Bernard Herrmann's all-string score, because here Rob Lord's eerie soundscapes, which sometimes subtly suggest rural England, and the sound design add such an immense amount to the film it wouldn't be half the movie it is without them. Often you just hear the sound of farm machinery, and in fact I can hear it now, ringing in my ears, a testament to how well the film worked. There's an occasional awkwardness to The Fallow Field which probably couldn't be helped, but it's still a fine achievement that Dovey can be immensely proud of…..though it may put you off going anywhere near a farm for good.

Rating: 8/10

You've won me over I want a copy of this now, and it's good to know British indie horror is not only alive and kicking but delivering some really strange films, which we love here.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14841
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/3/2013 8:02:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

Can't wait to see Stoker, it looks incredible visually, and it's director by the genius behind Oldboy, so it's bound to be great!

Empire have given Maniac 4 stars, which surprised me. Will definitely be checking it out.

DJ(remember him) was in touch with me and has highly recommended MANIAC, so I look forward to hearing what LH thinks of it after his gushing love for STOKER. Well before you lot rush out to see MANIAC here's a review of the orginal classic cult extreme film.
MANIAC (1980)

Frank(Joe Spinell) misses his mother, who was killed in a car accident years before. She was abusive to him, and made money selling her body, but Frank still misses her. He still talks to her, and tries to keep her from leaving him, and reform her evil ways, by killing young women and putting their scalps on mannequins which he displays around his apartment. Photographer Anna(Caroline Munro),  takes a picture of him in the park, and he pursues and befriends her. Is she the one he's been looking for or just another mommy wanna be.

A truly disturbing and unpleasant film with a relentlessly downbeat tone, which features graphic violence, and some outstanding for it's time bloody special-effects makeup by cult effects man Tom Savini, who also stars in a small role where he meets a gruesome end in a as "Disco Boy." Highlights include Frank's mother's corpse, a realistic scalping by large knife and an exploding head which gets blown to bits by a shotgun, very much more than the graphic Scanners head explosion. The star of the film is Joe Spinell, who appeared in Taxi Driver, The Godfather 1and 2 in small roles, but here he is in the lead role as the twisted unsavoury  Frank Zito, a character reminiscent of De Niro's Travis Bickle, except far more twisted and disturbing. Joe's portrayal here is very hard to watch in places, for there is noting to like about this Psycho, the rape and torture scenes remined me of Fulcis equally disturbing New York Riper. Both films give no let up in there gut turning sexual horror, in fact films like Saw etc look tame compared to these films, for they had some dark humour to lighten the horror on screen. But this just keeps piling on the horror right up to the ending with it's interesting twist as Frank hallucinates that his victims are returning to life and tearing him limb from limb.

William Lustig's Maniac is basically Grand Guignol Splatter film that cinematic audiences of the 80's craved, but viewers of this film got more than they wanted,a depraved, demoralising extremely violent twisted film, that was touted as a  Halloween and Friday the 13th type film. But is more of a Nightmares in a Damaged Brain, Mardi Gras Massacre, and Don't go in the House film, for this is no boogy loony man in a mask with a machete. It's also story wise more Psycho/ Texas Chainsaw Massacre,which makes me wonder whether or not the writers of this film were basing the plot on the real life serial killer Ed Gein, who also grew up with an abusive mother and suffered psychological problems later on as an adult, which ultimately drove him to grave robing and murder. William Lustig  style and tone own more than a nod to Lucio Fulci's slasher film's ,it also has that arthouse feel of an Abel Ferrara movie with great use made of New Yorks darker side. I'm in no doubt it has inspired multitudes of slasher flicks and torture flicks, but none look or feel like it, the only film of it's kind I belived they could not remake for fear of the outrage it could cause.With no humour, and the great use of the dark back street's of New York, there is no escape from the madness on screen, and you will need a strong will not to turn away in disgust at what unfolds. No wonder this too was banned during the Video Nasty debate, but at least now you get to see this excellent film fully uncut on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and with the remake hitting are screens, I wonder if like I Spit On Your Grave, will it be toned down.7/10 

Post #: 14842
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/3/2013 7:32:47 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Where is DJ these days Bill? Hope he's well!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14843
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/3/2013 8:09:35 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Where is DJ these days Bill? Hope he's well!

He's working hard on HCF, and he's the manager  of a mulit plex in Plymouth, and he's doing a degree I think along with recently getting married, he's taken on a lot. IE he's a busy man, he is on facebook from time to time, but he all but runs HCF now. And has promised to drop in with some good new film reviews at some point.

Post #: 14844
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/3/2013 1:18:29 AM   
kiba24

Alice (1988)

I would love to give you an outline of what it is about but honestly that would spoil the experience of a film like this, It is a Jan Svankmajer film which was a reaction to being banned for several years from making films so that alone should be a good enough reason to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bosvfUoO0DU

< Message edited by kiba24 -- 8/3/2013 1:19:51 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14845
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/3/2013 7:07:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Alice (1988)

I would love to give you an outline of what it is about but honestly that would spoil the experience of a film like this, It is a Jan Svankmajer film which was a reaction to being banned for several years from making films so that alone should be a good enough reason to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bosvfUoO0DU

I'm sure I saw this film along time ago, it's a bizarre screen version of Lewis Carroll's novel 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', mixing one live actor Alice with a variety of stop-motion animated creatures, ranging from the White Rabbit to the Caterpillar, consisting of a sock, a couple of glass eyes and a pair of false teeth (I kidd you not). The original story is followed reasonably faithfully, though those familiar with this director's other films won't be the least bit surprised by the numerous digressions into Svankmajer territory, skull-headed birds, walking dolls, and broken-down furniture etc. All in it's a pretty disturbing telling of Alice's journey, but a masterful, enthralling, surreal visual assault, and some thought Tim Burtons version was unique well there's never been a version like this.

Tonight is WALKING DEAD night, and it's building up to great end of season finale, which is at the end of this month.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 8/3/2013 7:09:58 PM >

(in reply to kiba24)
Post #: 14846
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/3/2013 11:16:45 AM   
losthighway

***SOME MINOR GORE SPOILERS***

Well i'm back and I saw MANIAC (2012) on Thursday night... so you want to know my thoughts...

I remember when I first saw the original, it was the UK cut version and I have to say I was rather bored by its slow moving narrative. However, towards the end of last year I imported the 30th Anniversary uncut BU edition from the US and watched it again and found a totally different film, a really decent arthouse flick with a grimy feel to it that left a lasting impression. So, off I went to see the remake with high hopes as it has garnered much praise. Elijah Wood in the lead does a decent job, his recent foray into the absurd with Wilfred (well worth checking out if you haven't already) meant that I didn't have any trouble seperating him from being a knife wielding, scalping hobbit! Much of the film is shot from his POV and this works really well in the main apart from one glaring scene-to-scene after he's been spying on a woman in a locker and he couldn't possibly have got outside before her. The film has some graphic violence in it but the scalping scenes look rather ridiculous in that apart from one killing where it actually looks more realistic, he seems to do the task rather too easily and with very little exhertion. There is also a certain scene which mirrors the knife/breast scene from the original and I am quite surprised it got passed uncut here tbh as it shows very realistic cutting across a woman's back. Oh and the pre-title opening scene sets the tone of the film very early on!

The film basically updates the original whilst maintaining the arthouse tone but losing some of the grimy feel, so we see Frank using an internet dating site but at the same time it also has him wearing fashions which wouldn't be out of place in the 70s and the female artist he eventually becomes obssessed with does an art show which wouldn't be out of place in the 80s... A special mention should go to the soundtrack as the sound effects are ramped up so you hear every cut, stab, grating very clearly and the score by Rob is stunning (I want the soundtrack!), it is very reminscent of how music was used in the Ryan Gosling film Drive. It also compliments the cinematography very well although again the film essentially follows the same blueprint as the original in this aspect. Also, the ending is slightly updated and works very well but again...

...This is another area where the film really falls down for me, imho it basically just updates the original rather than bringing anything new to the table. I saw it at the Grimm Up North screening and quite a few folks were commenting after what a hard slog it was to watch, i.e. slow/boring, so the film actually manages to maintain that ennui I felt when I first watched the original. I think ISOYG really set a high standard for remakes even though TCSM had done a great job before it, ISOYG bettered it (even TLHOTL remake was good), i.e. they all brought something new to it whilst paying homage to the original.

MANIAC (2012) is a valiant effort and is worth checking out. I believe it's getting a limited cinema release and tbh I can't see this one being too long away from DVD/BR as it's certainly not for everyone. I'm a completist so obviously I'll be buying it on BR when it comes out but overall I still can't get past that nagging feeling that it was just all a little pointless and the original is much better.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 9/3/2013 11:29:04 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14847
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/3/2013 11:41:33 AM   
losthighway

P.S. Just read Empire's review... I swear I didn't read it before writing my review so freaky how the Drive comparision pops up although I totally disagree with Adam's final comment regarding it bringing 'something new to the slab' - I think that's its main problem, it doesn't really!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 9/3/2013 11:42:19 AM >

Post #: 14848
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/3/2013 6:27:33 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

***SOME MINOR GORE SPOILERS***

Well i'm back and I saw MANIAC (2012) on Thursday night... so you want to know my thoughts...

I remember when I first saw the original, it was the UK cut version and I have to say I was rather bored by its slow moving narrative. However, towards the end of last year I imported the 30th Anniversary uncut BU edition from the US and watched it again and found a totally different film, a really decent arthouse flick with a grimy feel to it that left a lasting impression. So, off I went to see the remake with high hopes as it has garnered much praise. Elijah Wood in the lead does a decent job, his recent foray into the absurd with Wilfred (well worth checking out if you haven't already) meant that I didn't have any trouble seperating him from being a knife wielding, scalping hobbit! Much of the film is shot from his POV and this works really well in the main apart from one glaring scene-to-scene after he's been spying on a woman in a locker and he couldn't possibly have got outside before her. The film has some graphic violence in it but the scalping scenes look rather ridiculous in that apart from one killing where it actually looks more realistic, he seems to do the task rather too easily and with very little exhertion. There is also a certain scene which mirrors the knife/breast scene from the original and I am quite surprised it got passed uncut here tbh as it shows very realistic cutting across a woman's back. Oh and the pre-title opening scene sets the tone of the film very early on!

The film basically updates the original whilst maintaining the arthouse tone but losing some of the grimy feel, so we see Frank using an internet dating site but at the same time it also has him wearing fashions which wouldn't be out of place in the 70s and the female artist he eventually becomes obssessed with does an art show which wouldn't be out of place in the 80s... A special mention should go to the soundtrack as the sound effects are ramped up so you hear every cut, stab, grating very clearly and the score by Rob is stunning (I want the soundtrack!), it is very reminscent of how music was used in the Ryan Gosling film Drive. It also compliments the cinematography very well although again the film essentially follows the same blueprint as the original in this aspect. Also, the ending is slightly updated and works very well but again...

...This is another area where the film really falls down for me, imho it basically just updates the original rather than bringing anything new to the table. I saw it at the Grimm Up North screening and quite a few folks were commenting after what a hard slog it was to watch, i.e. slow/boring, so the film actually manages to maintain that ennui I felt when I first watched the original. I think ISOYG really set a high standard for remakes even though TCSM had done a great job before it, ISOYG bettered it (even TLHOTL remake was good), i.e. they all brought something new to it whilst paying homage to the original.

MANIAC (2012) is a valiant effort and is worth checking out. I believe it's getting a limited cinema release and tbh I can't see this one being too long away from DVD/BR as it's certainly not for everyone. I'm a completist so obviously I'll be buying it on BR when it comes out but overall I still can't get past that nagging feeling that it was just all a little pointless and the original is much better.

Rather lengthy review there mate. I still haven't seen the original Maniac, so maybe I'll enjoy this more than you [and maybe Bill?]. I disagree with you about ISOYG though; I recently watched the original [review coming soon!] and remake, both for the first time, and I felt the remake was far inferior, feeling rather dumbed down and less honest.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 11/3/2013 8:29:50 AM >

Post #: 14849
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/3/2013 1:37:37 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Went to see Stoker last night. Beautifully shot, and a masterpiece of editing. Matthew Goode's performance was incredible, and the script was really intelligent. Surprised that it was written by TV star Wentworth Miller, he would do really well as a scriptwriter if he decides to pack acting in. Definitely one of the best films I have seen this year.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14850
Page:   <<   < prev  493 494 [495] 496 497   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  493 494 [495] 496 497   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI