Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/1/2013 8:38:22 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

Stop right there! The RAMMSTEIN BR...

I'm dying to get hold of this, but I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff on AMAZON, not about the quality of the content, but that it's a 2 disc set and there are many sets that have only one disc, duplicated.

I live in a town that has no record stores, so I have to travel to buy the stuff I want or get it off the internet and it's such a pain in the arse if something I bought is wrong...

Anyone got any feedback on this?

(And if anyone doesn't think that music videos have any place on a WEIRD/STRANGE movies thread... have you ever seen a RAMMSTEIN video? Get thee to the Internet!)

Yeah i've seen those comments on Amazon UK too... I'm a lucky one because my set had the correct discs (1&2) in it. I've checked them and whilst some of the comments about the PQ are indeed true, I quite frankly couldn't care because I'm just so so pleased to have these videos in my collection. I wanted the Made in Germany boxset from last year specifically for this video set and I understand that it had similar disc issues too. I pre-ordered this set and got it for £18 but I see it's now gone upto about £24 and appears to be a special order. Not sure if this is because they are rectifying the disc problem or if it's a limited edition release but good luck. Tbh I would just get it ordered regardless and if you do encounter the disc problem then the distributors should send you the correct disc out in the post!

Cheers, losthighway! Glad you liked the set, will be looking into getting it soon. My God, Rammstein have put some of the best videos ever, haven't they?

I am also aware of the irony that, in my last post, I told people to get on the Internet to check out Rammstein videos when.. you know... they were already on the Internet...

Say what now?

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14701
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/1/2013 1:00:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

88 mins

REVIEWED BY: Dr Lenera, Official HCF Critic

Sometimes it is ambiguous what is going on and some things are unexplained, such as how Jacob develops his condition. These are probably intentional so the viewer is left feeling as dislocated and out-of-synch as its main character. The supporting characters, who include a detective and a hospital porter who supplies addicts with their needs and has an especially horrific way of getting blood, are well played even if some of the plotting involving them becomes a little forced, but then the tale had to develop somehow. For the most part, Midnight Son is a rather haunting and endearing [in the best way] drama, and its universal themes of addiction, unstoppable change and our desperate desire to be a part of something are handled in a way that makes the piece very compelling.

Rating: 8/10

Very much a G.A .Romero MARTIN clone, and one I will check out, and you've scored it quite high, so i'm guessing i'll like it too, after all I love Vampire films, except a certain teen trilogy.

quote:

I love Barbarella, such fun, and astounding to look at, even if, in the end, not a great film really!

Nice to know i'm not alone on this one, though if it wasn't for the fact it looks so astounding, i'd call it a big turkey of a film.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14702
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/1/2013 1:25:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

I watched Eraserhead for the first time last night.

Eraserhead (1976)

While certainly not a fun movie, I didn't find it difficult or boring. The pace was very slow, but it was strangely compelling and I found time slipped away quite fast. Only the last twenty minutes started to test my patience, but that section has some of the best material in it. Even when nothing was happening for a long chunk of time I felt there was something engaging to look at. Visually it was very crisp and clean with well chosen and informative camera angles so I didn't feel it was claustrophobic and grim with everything closed in and awkward looking. The story didn't amount to much but I didn't expect it to so I wasn't disappointed. The 'In Heaven' song was disappointing as it was just a short fragment of a song, not the full thing which I was expecting. The lead actor reminded me a lot of David Lynch himself with the strange hair and the loud voice saying simple, slow, short sentences. So I suspect this is his most autobiographical film with an actor standing in directly for Lynch. It's not a substantial movie of any great depths. I think it's more style over substance. What is there is just about enough to sustain the film through its short running time. Overall neither good or bad. You have to want to like it to 'get it' though. If you're not on its side, or you want more conventional drama, then it will only frustrate and bore.

5 out of 10 stars

***SPOILERS***

I think Lynch missed a big trick with the end of Eraserhead. He wasted the pencil erasers as a dream sequence. Instead if he reorganised the scenes he could have this instead:

Henry kills the baby. Then he goes mad with remorse and tries to escape into the radiator. Once inside the radiator he is serenaded with the 'In Heaven' song. His refuge turns into a nightmare as the kid's head takes over his body. His decapitated head is then used to make pencil erasers. The end. I think that is odder, more surreal and more disturbing.

Nice review but disagree.
quote:

dannyfltch
I completely understand your view on Eraserhead mate. I absolutely love David Lynch films ( Lost Highway and Dune my 2 favourites) but did find that this film is just too weird and strange to fully enjoy. I felt quite nauseous whilst watching it and didn't find it a particularly enjoyable experience. I know this thread is written for films like Eraserhead but it is one of the very few very strange/weird movies I don't like! Give me any other Lynch film but for me it is inaccessible.

First off as said this thread was set up for such moviemakers like Lynch, and yes I can understand why this film and I believe also Inland Empire cause folks who like strange films to go WOW! to far man, what the hell is this.So here's my old updated review to try and explain why I love this, though not as much as some of his other classic mindfuck films.

ERASERHEAD 1976

ERASERHEAD follows a sensitive young man as he struggles to cope with impending parenthood. Henry Spencer (Jack Nance) lives in a hopeless industrial landscape, lusting after the beautiful woman who lives in the apartment across the hall. After his girlfriend, Mary (Charlotte Stewart), informs him of her pregnancy, he is forced to eat dinner with her extremely odd family. The baby is eventually born, only it isn't a human baby at all; it's a deformed creature that resembles a lizard. The baby won't stop crying, a horrifyingly piercing wail that drives Mary insane. Left alone with the baby, Henry is serenaded by a woman who lives inside his radiator, and soon he decides to murder his baby in order to stop the nightmare once and for all.

David Lynch's remarkable first film, made in 1976, still looks like a minor masterpiece, mixing Gothic horror and surrealism, in a way only a madman or genius could, which one he is is up for us cinema lovers to decide. In this heavily symbolic story set in a post apocalyptic future industrial nightmare, we are taken on a journey like no other, as we see nightmare images in glorious B&W take shape before are eyes.This is the movie that stared my love of the Weird/Strange movies, and for my money is one of the most bizarre films ever made(Except for maybe XTRO). With it's b/w imagery and lack of dialogue it feels and looks more like a silent film in the vain of Fritz Lang's Metropolis(1926), which was also about a post apocalyptic future industrialised world. Also The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari(1919) by Robert Wiene another German Director I feel was a major influence on Lynch,with it's expressionist stylized imagery and exaggerated reality, that has that Gothic nightmare approach, and the decent into madness, which is in Lynch's film also, though with David's own style fully on show. A film he wrote/produced/and directed, a Gothic nightmare on acid would be one way to describe this film, which is both upsetting, disorienting, dark, and mysterious, and the at times futuristic urban landscapes that seem out of place, also feel so real. It's simply stunning as a first feature by David Lynch, which took him five years to film, as he struggled with the lack of funds, as he had only directed a few short films before this feature film. The film's use of eerie sound and brilliant imagery make it disturbing, repulsive, hilarious, frightening, sensitive and challenging all at the same time.

My first experience of Lynch was Elephant Man and Dune, well before seeing ERASERHEAD and discovered the visuals that gave birth too these movies, as i watched it late one night on BBC2.What a mind fuck this was, with it's opening of a worm like creature coming out of the mouth this strange looking man, while he pulls levers inside a jagged planet. We then meet his girlfriend and her parents, and they have a meal with a tiny hen that haemorrhages blood, on his fork as he goes to eat it. I really could go on but enough to say it gets even stranger as it goes on, there's no way to summarize this plot, but 'i'll try, as with most if not all his work this is his own sub consciousness mind put to film and turned into art. Now if you take the story down to it's bare bones, it's a tale of a young man in a meaning less job, with a meaningless life, who finds out his girlfriend is to have a baby, which turns out as his luck would have it to be deformed. Add to this having to meet her parents, and his fantasy of a lady in the radiator who he has fallen for, plus the fact he see's his only escape from his meaningless unloved life as killing the baby, you see it's about a decent into madness. The end with Henry are hero/villain pulling the guts out of the baby, and then the room filled with a blinding light as the lady from the radiator once again appears, seem to suggest his escape is to the afterlife/death. Now Lynch's approach is from a sub conscious level, or dream state, it's like when you day dream, or you have a nightmare that's so real you think your trapped, yet it suddenly changes for no real logical reason, or you wake up to the real world, or both. Like when your in conversation with friends, and for a second your mind drift's off(i'm sure we have all done this from time to time, or is it just me) it feels like you've missed minutes of the chat, which in real time was only a spilt second or couple of seconds, but you feel disorientated. Well Lynch turns this on it's head and the sub conscious dream/nightmare world becomes the reality, while every so often it drifts into the real world that we live in, which he has used in Inland Empire, Lost Highway and toned down for Wild At Heart and his other more approachable films.

David Lynch is a unique director who can make great mainstream films like Dune etc, but he's at his best with his own wonderful films like this film. Which if you peal off the visual madness, is all about Life. Death, Love, Depression and Decent into madness as the lines between the two worlds of real and dreams become blurred. Yes it's a hard film to watch and you'll need some aspirin or a strong drink, but like all his deeper films with repeated viewing the plot and meanings become a little clearer, but the unease and horror do not lessen. It's a must see for any fan of Lynch or these type of movies, but beware it's very intense and will screw your mind, and this one puts a capital W in Weird movie, it's such brilliantly powerful, first movie with mind blowing visuals that will stick in your head long after you've viewed this totally weird film. I love Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart which is his most excessable movie's not counting his mainstream films, but next to Inland Empire and Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, this is Lynch at his crazed best. It took me a few watch's but i'd place it about 3rd on my all time favourite Lynch film's of mine, so just remember like a fine wine it' get's better, you don't have to be a Mensa level guy/girl to get into it, just open your mind and you just might enjoy this one, it just might need a second viewing or more to work out the plot.8/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 11/1/2013 4:58:52 PM >

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14703
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/1/2013 5:42:00 PM   
dannyfletch

I guess I didn't like the substance and overall feel of Eraserhead. I love all of his other movies like Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive and of course Lost Highway but this just didn't much for me except maybe a headache I can not deny that it is indeed a film that is made for this thread though

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14704
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/1/2013 9:04:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm saddened to say that i haven't watched Eraserhead yet. Which is quite odd considering i'm a massive fan of Lynch and his works (including the much maligned Dune!) I will definitely rectify that soon.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/1/2013 9:06:06 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14705
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/1/2013 1:18:11 AM   
dannyfletch

I know ( and couldn't care less) that Lynch's Dune didn't quite capture the book but I love the film. One thing I can say about Eraserhead, and as Evil Bill pointed out, is that you can definitely see that it's where Lynch created his style and was indeed a taste of what was to come. I will probably watch it again at some point to see if my opinion has changed as maybe I was too young at the time to appreciate and enjoy it. Even though its not my cup of tea, I would still recommend it to anyone who is a fan of weird/cult movies.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14706
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/1/2013 11:35:28 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

I know ( and couldn't care less) that Lynch's Dune didn't quite capture the book but I love the film. One thing I can say about Eraserhead, and as Evil Bill pointed out, is that you can definitely see that it's where Lynch created his style and was indeed a taste of what was to come. I will probably watch it again at some point to see if my opinion has changed as maybe I was too young at the time to appreciate and enjoy it. Even though its not my cup of tea, I would still recommend it to anyone who is a fan of weird/cult movies.

Staying on the subject of Lynch, i gotta say i love his most 'un-Lynchian' film Elephantman too. I think its a masterpiece. Lynch captures the era of London circa 1800's perfectly. Its like a time machine back to that period. His decision to shoot it in black and white pays off handsomely.

I always wondered what we'd get if we had Lynch make Return of the Jedi! At the end Luke wakes up and realises its all a bloody dream. But suddenly Vader appears with a gas mask on his face; "come on you sack of shit, lets get a beer! We'll hit the town and fuck anything that moves"!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 13/1/2013 11:37:22 AM >

Post #: 14707
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/1/2013 12:31:52 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Watched The Last Exorcism last night. For the majority of the film, it is a brilliantly executed premise, with superb direction, and believable performances, especially from Ashley Bell, who is a revelation. However, it is ruined by what is, in my honest opinion, a completely absurd ending. I know we have to suspend belief but come on, it was ridiculous, all of that promise to then have the rug pulled out from under us just pissed me off. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The sequel looks too silly for words going by the trailer.

Post #: 14708
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 2:52:56 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Watched The Last Exorcism last night. For the majority of the film, it is a brilliantly executed premise, with superb direction, and believable performances, especially from Ashley Bell, who is a revelation. However, it is ruined by what is, in my honest opinion, a completely absurd ending. I know we have to suspend belief but come on, it was ridiculous, all of that promise to then have the rug pulled out from under us just pissed me off. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Completely agree with everything you said although it still graces my collection and I just choose to ignore that ending!

I might have to check out Midnight Son I think. Plus, V/H/S and American Mary are also out at the end of this month (the former has been pre-ordered since early December despite some dire reviews).

As i've mentioned on the Joypad thread I;m currently working my way through The Walking Dead S2 boxset and i'm actually liking it. I gave up on it at the end of ep 3 back in 2011 as it was a slow snoozefest but reqppraising it on DVD without the adverts and in one continuous story, i'm rather enjoying it. I have started recording the rerun of S3 on Fox but i've missed the first two episodes so I might just wait for the DVD boxset to come out...

I'm also working my way through TWD game on XBox Arcade. Just finished ep 2 tonight, downloading 3 tomorrow. If you haven't played it yet (although I realise i'm WAY behind!), you really need to start. It's very good!

And finally, I'll be buying Dredd today on DVD. Finally getting to see it after having the 2D version played nowhere near me when released in cinemas... and then they wondered why a film with decent reviews flopped... err cos we're not all sold on the 3D gimmick!!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14709
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 11:49:14 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Completely agree with everything you said although it still graces my collection and I just choose to ignore that ending!

I might have to check out Midnight Son I think. Plus, V/H/S and American Mary are also out at the end of this month (the former has been pre-ordered since early December despite some dire reviews).

As i've mentioned on the Joypad thread I;m currently working my way through The Walking Dead S2 boxset and i'm actually liking it. I gave up on it at the end of ep 3 back in 2011 as it was a slow snoozefest but reqppraising it on DVD without the adverts and in one continuous story, i'm rather enjoying it. I have started recording the rerun of S3 on Fox but i've missed the first two episodes so I might just wait for the DVD boxset to come out...

I'm also working my way through TWD game on XBox Arcade. Just finished ep 2 tonight, downloading 3 tomorrow. If you haven't played it yet (although I realise i'm WAY behind!), you really need to start. It's very good!

And finally, I'll be buying Dredd today on DVD. Finally getting to see it after having the 2D version played nowhere near me when released in cinemas... and then they wondered why a film with decent reviews flopped... err cos we're not all sold on the 3D gimmick!!

I'm not that big a fan of 3D either, however i must say that Dredd was called Dredd 3D for a reason because some of the scenes were so spectacular in 3D especially the slo-mo scenes. These simply had to be seen in 3D because in 2D, it loses some of the magic as i have seen recently. Its like poetry....in an ultra violent pic!

Post #: 14710
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 2:03:59 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Bought Dredd on DVD today, will be watching it when I finish Season 4 of True Blood .

Post #: 14711
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 4:00:11 PM   
losthighway

As much as i'm sure Dredd 3D looked spectacular, I can't deal with 3D/even found footage films... makes me SERIOUSLY sick/migraine (get motion sickness from watching them). Got it bad at Blair Witch years ago and had to walk out of Cloverfield cos I was actually physically sick... after the Cloverfield experience I've not risked it since. I would have liked to have seen Life of Pi 3D tbh but it's just not worth feeling rubbish during/after

Post #: 14712
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 4:19:10 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

As much as i'm sure Dredd 3D looked spectacular, I can't deal with 3D/even found footage films... makes me SERIOUSLY sick/migraine (get motion sickness from watching them). Got it bad at Blair Witch years ago and had to walk out of Cloverfield cos I was actually physically sick... after the Cloverfield experience I've not risked it since. I would have liked to have seen Life of Pi 3D tbh but it's just not worth feeling rubbish during/after

Sorry to hear about that, losthighway. By all means stick to the 2D if that is the case. It is quite annoying though how whenever there's a 3D release, its damn near impossible to find a normal viewing (sometimes its the opposite in some instances! ). Either way Dredd is a superb film and after watching it again i have to say lack of 3D has not lessened my love for it, in fact i love it even more (some brilliant in jokes i missed on first watch), also Karl Urban IS Dredd!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/1/2013 4:22:18 PM >

Post #: 14713
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 6:48:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I'm saddened to say that i haven't watched Eraserhead yet. Which is quite odd considering i'm a massive fan of Lynch and his works (including the much maligned Dune!) I will definitely rectify that soon.

Tut! Tut! and you call yourself a fan of David Lynch  ,well give it a try it is a very disturbing viewing but well worth it to see how Lynch became the director he is, this film was his foundation on which his career was built. I'm glad to see  so much love for DUNE 1984, yes it was no where near as good as the book, but it still captured the soul of the book, and looked awesome with a great cast. It put an end to Lynch becoming a mainstream director, as he hated the way the film was taken from him and re edited, and like Fincher on Alien 4, Lynch was under a lot of pressure to direct the film the way the producers wanted. 

quote:

Staying on the subject of Lynch, i gotta say i love his most 'un-Lynchian' film Elephantman too. I think its a masterpiece. Lynch captures the era of London circa 1800's perfectly. Its like a time machine back to that period. His decision to shoot it in black and white pays off handsomely.

I always wondered what we'd get if we had Lynch make Return of the Jedi! At the end Luke wakes up and realises its all a bloody dream. But suddenly Vader appears with a gas mask on his face; "come on you sack of shit, lets get a beer! We'll hit the town and fuck anything that moves"!

Elephant Man was his most mainstream film, yet still has a lot of that Lynch feel, in fact when you think about the story, there was no other director who could have done it justice, as much as David did. He did capture London 1800 very well, and having watched it not to long ago, it still looks wonderful, and I remember when I first saw it I thought Lynch was a British director, then I saw Eraserhead.

Post #: 14714
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/1/2013 6:55:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

The ending for me was ok but yeah a bit what the F***, but still a great chiller with top class acting, and looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray, as will DREDD even in 2D. What I will say about the 3D is it for the most part worked well on the cinema screen where I saw it, but it still felt to much like a gimmick, and I don't know about anybody else, but i'm just not into 3D TV at all, unless they can do away with the bloody glasses.
Looking forward to the new session of WALKING DEAD on FX HD

Post #: 14715
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/1/2013 4:24:09 PM   
dannyfletch

Actually David Lynch's most mainstream film is the Straight Story, it's the one about an old guy who travels across America on his lawn mower to visit a dying relative

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14716
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/1/2013 8:47:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Actually David Lynch's most mainstream film is the Straight Story, it's the one about an old guy who travels across America on his lawn mower to visit a dying relative

Must say I forgot about this one, but then I never liked it when I seen it on VHS rental back in 1999, it just did not look or feel like a lynch film for me, in fact I can't remember who acted in it or a lot about the story, still have to hand it to you well spotted. Now as promised:
CORMAN/POE

THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963)

A New England doctor Joseph Curwen (Vincent Price) burned as a sorcerer in 1748,just before his death places a curse on the group of villagers that burn him. Then in 1855 the dead man's great-grandson Charles Dexter Ward(Vincent Price) of 1855 arrives in the village with his bride (Debra Paget) and are shunned by the community. They are told that the mutant progeny of the sorcerer's evil experiments are still roaming the countryside with hulking manservant (Lon Chaney Jr).The longer he stays in the family mansion, the more Ward is taken over by the spirit of his ancestor. The result: The possessed Ward, together with manservant and a warlock assistant, set about to create a mutant race to overtake the world. Concluding with the near-sacrifice of his bride and the torching of the mansion,

The Haunted Palace is a mix of poem's written by Edgar Allan Poe and loosly based on H.P. Lovecraft's short story The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and Necromonicon, with Charles Beaumont writing a decent fun twisted screenplay. Though it is one of the weaker Vincent Price, Roger Corman/Poe films, it's still a good old fashioned fun classic film and worth checking out if only for it's great cast. It does get a little slow at times in the middle and while eerie in places, I feel the music score is the weak point in this film, it just feels to much over the top dramatic. However as you have come to expect from these films, it is well photographed by Floyd Crosby i super Panavision, and has beautiful sets by Daniel Haller, depicting a very believable period village, though you will spot a few familiar sets too. But who care's when you fancy a bit of Gothic horror, full of magnificent swirling fogs, castles,creaking gates, strange camera angles and secret doorways, plus good old thunder and lighting,this has it in large doses. The writing as I said has some fun and macabre moments and I just love the revenge angle, so familiar in these films, plus on the whole, the story delivers some suspenseful atmosphere and creepy moments. Plus a surprise on re watching, there are a few scares that wont knock you out of your seat, but give a few chills, and this is due once again to Corman's great direction, which he never seems to get great credit for.

The acting is very good from all ,with the beautiful Debra Paget giving a steady fine performance, just before she retired from films for good, which is a shame, I feel she had a few more left in her. Then there's Lon Chaney Jr who is wonderfully creepy, in what was maybe his last great role, and  for us fan's of the classic horror films he is a treat and helps move this film into a higher rating. But it is Price in a his double role as Ward and his great-grandfather here that steals the show from beginning to end, with his spin on the main leading roles, that are so alike yet different, as his sad innocent naivety of a demented Dexter Ward, and then the awesomely darkly macabre evil Joseph. They get some great lines, but one of the most chilling is : Chaney asks the possessed Price when he will be satisfied avenging himself on the descendants of those who burned him at the stake. "Not until this village is a graveyard,not until they too have felt the kiss of fire on their soft flesh... all of them."Getting together Price and Chaney is the big bonus in this film, and allows for two greats of the horror genre opportunities for superb scenery-chewing performances, that are worth the watch alone.

Now this is a surprisingly violent gruesome horror film for a 60's film, i kidd you not, as we see several people lit on fire, another is viciously killed, and a burnt out corpse is seen in all it's glory. The tight budget may have restricted the gore effects, but the ones on show are well done for a old film, with some impressive make-up work as well, and the ending of the by-now-usual ending of a burning down of a castle makes for some nice action sequences as the flames take hold. All in it's a superb Poe/Lovecraft mix that works on the whole, and if only someone could make films like this today with the technology they now have, we might have intelligent horror once again on the big screen. Maybe Peter Jackson could have ago at these films with his own spin, or maybe as I believe there can only be one master of the Poe books to film and that's a Mr Corman. Which is why I have no choice but to give this film a thumbs up too, as it might be a weaker Poe effort but it beats any remake around, even by Romero.7/10 

Post #: 14717
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/1/2013 10:10:05 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Now this i gotta see! I've just added it to my list of must watch films. Again great review Evil Bill - i hope its available on DVD.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14718
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/1/2013 4:24:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

Not been around so much of late, been very busy and quite a few of my reviews [did you check out my review of the extended Once Upon A Time In America Bill? l are not really suited for this thread. A few things;

I have never seen The Haunted Palace Bill, I just know from your review it is a film I will adore!

Lost Highway I'm almost there with you about 3D and shakycam. 3D did add a little to Dredd but I would say actually weakened Life Of Pi

I enjoyed all of Lynch's work [even to an extent The Straight Story] except Elephant Man; well made it certainly was, but it is the one film I found so depressing I don't think I could ever watch it again! I just wanted to kill myself after watching it.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 14719
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/1/2013 4:30:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

Victorian London, 1886. Dorian Gray is a handsome, wealthy young man. While posing for a painting by his friend Basil, Dorian meets Basilís friend Lord Henry Wotton, who tells Dorian that the only life worth living is one dedicated entirely to pleasure. After Wotton convinces Dorian that youth and beauty will bring him everything he desires, Dorian openly wishes that his portrait could age instead of him. He makes this statement in the presence of a certain Egyptian statue, which supposedly has the power to grant wishes. Dorian visits a tavern and falls in love with a singer named Sibyl Vane. Henry convinces Dorian to test her chastity and if she fails, to break off their engagement. The result: Sybil kills herself. Dorian notices a change in the portrait Basil had painted, which now hangs in his living room, and has it locked away, while he decides to dedicate himself to living a sinful and heartless lifeÖÖ

The Picture Of Dorian Gray remains the best version of Oscar Wildeís The Portrait Of Dorian Gray, his great Gothic tale of morality, vanity, corruption and hypocrisy. Iíve always found it surprising that a book whose language is one of its central features has had so many film adaptations, especially when Victorian ideas about things like sin are quite different from our own, but then it is, reduced to its most basic level, a combination of Faust and a very intellectual version of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde, so maybe it isnít that surprising at all. Probably the best known of the other versions is the 2009 Dorian Gray, which was a good effort but changed too much of the book for my liking. Where many of these other adaptations stumble is in taking great pains to show the terrible debauchery that Dorian is supposed to indulge in. The book merely hinted, as did the 1945 film, and if you have an imagination, thatís all you need [and even if you donít, you surely donít need to see the laughable montages that took up some of the 2009 version]. In fact, the imagination can often conjure up far more extreme things than any writer or filmmaker can show. The Picture Of Dorian Gray is a very subtle, understated and civilised horror film, and there are some who will say that those three words are the antithesis of horror, but a horror film it certainly is, and a particularly disturbing and thought provoking one.

I remain surprised that MGM seemed to give the very intellectual writer/director Albert Lewin carte blanche to make the film however he liked. He wrote a script which was far more faithful to the novel than one would have a right to expect, while adding in other elements of his own interest such as poetry by Omar Khayyam, which seems to have been an obsession by the director and informed his 1954 masterpiece Pandora And The Flying Dutchman. He also turned Dorian from an intense, emotional character to an icy distant one and Lord Henry into a virtual Oscar Wilde. Supposedly Greta Garbo asked to play Dorian in drag! Basil Rathbone campaigned for this part but it was thought he was too typecast as Sherlock Holmes. Donna Reed was promised the role of Sybil, Dorianís ill-fated first love, but it was given to Angela Lansbury as she was an established singer even though she hadnít made any films yet. Reed was given the role of Gladys, who appears later on. Stars Hurd Hatfield and George Sanders were driven mad by Lewinís multiple takes [one scene took 130 takes], while Hatfield got very frustrated because Lewin refused to let him show expression. He also refused to photograph him after 4pm so he would never look tired. Unsurprisingly the film went hugely over budget but amazingly was a big hit.

The first thing that will probably strike first-time viewers is how talky the film is, especially with George Sanders spewing out lots of droll observations on life and insults which came from the pen of Wilde himself. Sanders is absolutely perfect for this; he delivers the lines with glorious relish and helps make Lord Henry as detestable a character as Dorian. In fact, he might be even worse, considering it is he who sends the easily influenced Dorian on his wicked path. Iíve read that he is actually a more interesting character than Dorian; I disagree. Hurd Hatfield was told by the director to keep his face immobile and show no emotion, and I think he is incredibly creepy as a result. He almost seems to be wearing a mask, but isnít that somehow appropriate? When, later on, he begins to commit those immoral acts that the film can only allude to, the actor somehow manages to give the impression of corruption while not really doing anything at all. And even in the first third of the film when he romances Sybil, we sense he is a potentially evil creature, enhanced by her singing as cute a song as you could imagine. Does he really love her? It doesnít really matter. He is persuaded into giving her a really cruel Ďchastity testí [a request for someone to not go home is as obvious a film of the time could be in showing a request for sex] after which he calmly goes to the opera and she kills herself. Dorian is now on his downward path and nothing can stop him.

As its characters move dreamily through its sets beautifully shot by Harry Stradlingís deep-focus photography, The Picture Of Dorian Gray moves leisurely and rarely bothers to deliver much Ďactioní or physical horror, but it develops considerable power all the same, and this is in spite of rather intrusive narration from Cedric Hardwick, who confusingly sounds like George Sanders. He sometimes hints at Dorianís crimes, but itís pointless because there are enough subtle hints elsewhere. Another aspect which doesnít work too well is the hint that a statue of an Egyptian cat may be responsible for Dorianís Faustian pact; the book didnít need this and neither does the film, but it was probably felt it might make audiences find it easier to accept, and in any case countless shots of the film are filled with props symbolising the themes of the story. Successive viewings really show that the amount of care taken with this film is considerable. This time I noticed a man with a board with an eye on it following Dorian into a pub. I just wish it had a bit more life to it, though it is certainly not devoid of directorial stylistics including the use of a swinging lamp during two crucial scenes that Alfred Hitchcock may well have noticed. I must admit I found the picture rather dull on my first viewing, and more than many other films, it really requires several viewings to appreciate it, but it most certainly does improve.

Many will definitely have fun at picking up the allusions to what Dorian actually gets up to, and thatís ignoring the allusions to homosexuality near the beginning [I wonder if it was the filmís high class pretensions that caused it to escape the censorís scissors?]. Aside from murder and [unwittingly] causing a suicide, we have Dorian blackmailing a man over some previous occurrence which caused him to become a wreck. Another male friend has killed himself over something similar. A woman leaves a terrible confession after she dies. Another woman hides her face in shame when he turns up at a party. Dorian likes to go to a seedy bar [which is superbly designed in a Gothic manner] and on one occasion is shown upstairs by a dwarf [cult figure Angelo Rossitto]. Of course many modern viewers will wonder what is so bad about much of what he does, but Wilde did say: ďthe sins of Dorian Gray are the sins you bring to himĒ. He is clearly a destructive influence on everyone he meets, though one could easily ask the question what is worse; a man who persuades others to debauch themselvesÖor a society that continues to permit him to do so because of his money/breeding?

The one thing the film certainly isnít subtle about is Dorianís painting [which represents, of course, his conscience], twice shown in colour, which in its later stages is an absolute masterpiece of decadence, brilliantly showing the ravages of not so much time but evil. It took Ivan Le Lorraine Albright a year to complete it. The Picture Of Dorian Gray makes its anti-hero slightly more human than in the book towards the end, perhaps the one time the filmmakers felt constrained by the Production Code, but I feel it adds to the tragedy of the piece. With a very clever and almost underused [at least for the time] score by Herbert Strothart whose main theme will remind Disney fans of One Song from Snow White And The Seven Dwarves, this is not the most exciting film by any stretch, and may appeal more to older than younger folk, but will still probably make you think about important issues regarding our lives and the way we live them all the same. Even if you are unimpressed by it the first time, you may find yourself drawn back. I did, and I can safely now that I now love The Picture Of Dorian Gray, which remains as well as many other things a classic of psychological, personal horror, which is often the most chilling and disturbing kind there is.

Rating: 8.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14720
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 1:18:03 AM   
losthighway

It's late so a short review...

DREDD. One of the best comic adaptations I have ever seen.

Buy now!

Overall: 4.5/5

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14721
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 6:34:26 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Buy now!

I agree. I loved The Dark Knight Rises, but on balance Dredd for me is the better comic adaption. So damn enjoyable. Short but 'sweet'!

Post #: 14722
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 7:36:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

CORMAN/POE

THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963)
Now this i gotta see! I've just added it to my list of must watch films. Again great review Evil Bill - i hope its available on DVD.

I believe it is still available on DVD one of the MGM Classic collections, in fact I just cheaked out Play.Com, you can get it on a double bill DVD for £5.99, the other film is Tower Of London which is a Corman film too with Price in the lead role, only one problem it's Region 1.

Post #: 14723
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 7:47:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Not been around so much of late, been very busy and quite a few of my reviews [did you check out my review of the extended Once Upon A Time In America Bill? l are not really suited for this thread. A few things;

I have never seen The Haunted Palace Bill, I just know from your review it is a film I will adore!

Lost Highway I'm almost there with you about 3D and shakycam. 3D did add a little to Dredd but I would say actually weakened Life Of Pi

I enjoyed all of Lynch's work [even to an extent The Straight Story] except Elephant Man; well made it certainly was, but it is the one film I found so depressing I don't think I could ever watch it again! I just wanted to kill myself after watching it.

Yes I seen your excellent review of that classic Gangster film, and it's on my must buy Blu-Ray list since it came on to that format, but I went for the Blu-Ray of SCARFACE instead, now on three formats in this house.

Time to get your collection of Corman/Poe films going mate, as I know like me your a huge fan of these type of horror films.

quote:

The one thing the film certainly isnít subtle about is Dorianís painting [which represents, of course, his conscience], twice shown in colour, which in its later stages is an absolute masterpiece of decadence, brilliantly showing the ravages of not so much time but evil. It took Ivan Le Lorraine Albright a year to complete it. The Picture Of Dorian Gray makes its anti-hero slightly more human than in the book towards the end, perhaps the one time the filmmakers felt constrained by the Production Code, but I feel it adds to the tragedy of the piece. With a very clever and almost underused [at least for the time] score by Herbert Strothart whose main theme will remind Disney fans of One Song from Snow White And The Seven Dwarves, this is not the most exciting film by any stretch, and may appeal more to older than younger folk, but will still probably make you think about important issues regarding our lives and the way we live them all the same. Even if you are unimpressed by it the first time, you may find yourself drawn back. I did, and I can safely now that I now love The Picture Of Dorian Gray, which remains as well as many other things a classic of psychological, personal horror, which is often the most chilling and disturbing kind there is.

Rating: 8.5/10

A true ageless classic, and beats the modern version hands down, and another film I saw as a child on the Friday night double bill of horror on the BBC many moons ago. I loved it then and still enjoy watching this classic when I get the chance now, but I've never read the book myself, though my missus has, so going by herself that must be obeyed, this version is the best.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14724
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 7:50:35 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Buy now!

Short is the wrong word, but hey what a score, and I'm split between DREDD and The Dark Knight Rises, I love them both for different reasons, but for 2012's best Comic to Film It's DREDD for sure.

Post #: 14725
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/1/2013 8:05:50 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

Buy now!

I agree. Watched it on Tuesday night, thought it was incredibly stylish, and Karl Urban was just amazing.

In other news, Glasgow FrightFest is back in February. Not really impressed with the lineup, however, we are getting a few premieres, mainly Neil Jordan's new vampire drama, Byzantium, and, wait for it... Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem!

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 19/1/2013 5:28:05 PM >

Post #: 14726
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/1/2013 2:38:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Buy now!

I agree. Watched it on Tuesday night, thought it was incredibly stylish, and Karl Urban was just amazing.

In other news, Glasgow FrightFest is back in February. Not really impressed with the lineup, however, we are getting a few premieres, mainly Neil Jordan's new vampire drama, Byzantum, and, wait for it... Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem!

Sounds good to me
Tonight I will be watching the Sam Rami produced THE POSSESSION (2012), Based on a true story,it  is the terrifying account of how one family must unite in order to survive the wrath of an unspeakable evil. Clyde (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and Stephanie Brenek (Kyra Sedgwick) see little cause for alarm when their youngest daughter Em becomes oddly obsessed with an antique wooden box she purchased at a yard sale. But as Em's behavior becomes increasingly erratic, the couple fears the presence of a malevolent force in their midst, only to discover that the box was built to contain a dibbuk, a dislocated spirit that inhabits and ultimately devours its human host.So read s the back of the Rental Blu-Ray box.
Plus I now have the Blu-Ray of DREDD (2012) added to my colection which will of course get a spin.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/1/2013 2:40:48 PM >

Post #: 14727
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/1/2013 10:11:49 AM   
dannyfletch

I purchased and watched Dredd on blu-ray last night. Very enjoyable and an excellent adaption but I wouldn't go as far as to say its better than The Dark Knight Rises. Both different films, one on a more epic scale with lots of character development and the other with not much character development (although there was not much need for it) and pretty much 90 mins of gun blazing, violent and gritty entertainment. Dredd is certainly an excellent start to what is apparently going to be a trilogy, Karl Urban turned out to be a great choice to play the main character too.
Going to watch Lawless again today as I have that on blu-ray now

Post #: 14728
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/1/2013 3:36:27 PM   
losthighway

WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT

An effective British haunted house story based on the Pontefract poltergeist legend which terrorised the Pritchard family. The attention to 70's detail is excellent and the film is creepy with some pretty decent jumps. It's just a shame the CGI ending spoils proceedings a little. The extras are also pretty good with an interview with the Maynard family who supposedly experienced similar poltergeist activity in Coventry in 2011. I'm a total sceptic but it's nice that some effort has clearly been out into the extras. This is definitely worth picking up!

Overall: 3.5/5

LEATHERFACE: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III

Just watched this for the first time and despite a promising start with obvious aspirations to be like NOES, it became rather tedious and the ending was rubbish! However, there was a fairly decent 2003 documentary included as an extra where everyone was very honest about the production of the film and it's poor box office. Basically studio fiddling ruined it from the sounds of things. Anyways, the uncut version is actually pretty brutal but the film as a whole is a mess.

Overall: 1.5/5

THE WALKING DEAD GAME: SEASON 1

Finished it this afternoon and it was excellent. It's actually better than the TV show as it maintains the emotional core at the centre of the comics which the TV version has only really hit on 2-3 times over 2.5 seasons. If you've got a gaming console I seriously recommend you get this. The ending is heartbreaking and I can't wait for season 2 to arrive.

Overall: 5/5

And finally, MANIAC remake is out in the UK on 15th March 2013. Good times!

Post #: 14729
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/1/2013 5:11:41 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Watched Dark Shadows last night. Like all of Tim Burton's movies, it's visually great, and there is a lot of black humour throughout the film, but the idea of a vampire living in the 1970s was done better during that decade. Still, the cast are great, and it's a fun watch.

Bought a number of bizarre movies on DVD in HMV today: Blood on Satan's Claw, The Devil's Men (Peter Cushing as a Satan worshipper taking on Donald Pleasence), Castle of the Living Dead (European curio starring Christopher Lee and Donald Sutherland), and the classic voodoo thriller Angel Heart.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 19/1/2013 5:27:40 PM >

Post #: 14730
Page:   <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI