Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/12/2012 8:17:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

OK, let's get back into the whole WIERD / STRANGE thing....

I bring you XTRO!

(this is the point where I would bring you a picture, but I've got problems with my laptop right now...)

Anyone seen this thing? It came out in 1982, a bizarre low-budget British flick that earned classic status among my video-watching schoolfriends because, let's face it, there was a very graphic full-frontal sex scene with Myram D'Abo (probably not the right spelling), five years before becoming a Bond girl.

Found a copy on Amazon for pennies, revisited it and, I gotta say, I enjoyed it. I'll go one better and say that there could be a good remake here. Nice story about a vanished father coming back as an alien and causing mayhem with lots of slimy, bloody effects. You'll never regard it as a forgotten classic, but you might have a good time watching it with beer and pizza.

Any thoughts..?

Aw I remember Xtro from many years ago, the woman giving birth to a full grown man and other delights.I haven't seen it in decades though. As you have said it stands up to revisiting, i'll track it down in the next few days!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14671
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/12/2012 8:19:40 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Well I hope everyone had a good Xmas. Despite being in my mid-30s I really was spoilt this Xmas by the folks...

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST BR
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD BR
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! FIGHTBACK (Book)
RAMMSTEIN - VIDEOS/1995-2012 BR

I haven't really watched anything of note over the festive period. I had been looking forward to THE GIRL for months but sadly it turned out to be rather slow and presented Hitchcock as a one-dimensional dirty old man. The Birds is my favourite film ever, so it was fun to see the behind the scenes moments but overall I was rather disappointed by this TV movie and if anything it makes me want to see Hitchcock in February for comparison.

On a slightly different note... I watched some of my Blue Underground DVDs of the Italian horrors I have upgraded to Arrow BR... despite it getting a critical malling, I'll say right now I am so pleased I bought THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY, my BU DVD is shockingly poor in comparison.

And can anyone tell me if Total Recall: Director's Cut is worth a rental on SKY Box Office. Colin looks gorgeous (as usual!), so even if the film is shit I can at least swoon... Any comments (on the film, obviously) appreciated...

I though the Total Remake was a reasonable action film, but nowhere near as fun nor as clever as the original. It's all a bit simplified and dumbed down. I would say worth a view as long as you don't expect too much.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14672
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/12/2012 8:23:17 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Men In Black 3 (2012)

It was an enjoyable film. It was unremarkable but it was well made (apart from some poor computer effects) and the script was competent. The biggest laugh was the Andy Warhol character. It's about on par with the quality of the first film.

7 out of 10

What I Did On My Summer Vacation AKA Get The Gringo (2012)

The setting is very odd as it's a Mexican prison that is more like a slum town from a Spaghetti Western. The story is more clever than expected, with a logical enough script. It's a well paced 80s style action thriller with a bit of proper nasty violence. The Mel Gibson character doesn't have a name, and he share a lot of background similarities with the Porter character from Payback (1999), so if you want you can consider this to be Payback 2. It was a meaty, substantial movie with lots of interesting details and ideas. There is enough meat here that proper acting from good actors has a chance to take place. A very good film, and much better than I expected. It's a throwback to 80s straight to rental action movie trash, but the main difference being that it's actually good.

I highly recommend this movie.

Trivia: Steve Jobs was offered the role played by Bob Gunton. He considered it for about a week before turning it down.

9 out of 10

I would not rate Men In Black 3 that high it was ok but only just, and yet I do agree about Get The Gringo, spot on in fact.
Now another of the Corman /Poe Films
THE RAVEN (1963)

Set during the 15th century, the sorcerer Dr. Erasmus Craven(Vincent Price)has been mourning the death of his wife Lenore(Hazel Court)for over two years, much to the chagrin of his daughter Estelle (Olive Sturgess). One night he is visited by a Raven who happens to be a transformed wizard Dr Beldo(Peter Lorre)Together they brew a potion that restores Bedlo to his old self. Bedlo explains he had been transformed by the evil Dr Sturgess(Boris Karlof) in an unfair duel, and both decide to see Scarabus, Bedlo to exact revenge and Craven to look for his wife's ghost, which Bedlo reportedly saw at Scarabus' castle. After fighting off the attack of Craven's coachman, who apparently acted under the influence of Scarabus, they set out to the castle, joined by Craven's daughter Estelle and Bedlo's son Rexford(Jack Nicolson)At the castle, Scarabus greets his guests with false friendship, and Bedlo is apparently killed as he conjures a storm in a last act of defiance against his nemesis. At night, Rexford finds him alive and well, hiding in the castle. Craven, meanwhile, is visited and tormented by Lenore, who is revealed to be alive and well too, having faked her death two years before to move away with Scarabus. As Craven, Estelle, Rexford and Bedlo try to escape the castle, Scarabus stops them, and they are tied and locked up. Bedlo panics and flees away in raven form, having convinced Scarabus to turn him back into bird form rather than face torture. As Craven is confronted with the choice of Estelle's torture or of him giving away the secrets of his "hand magic", Bedlo flies back in, frees Rexford, and together aid Craven.
Craven and Scarabus then seat facing each other and engage in a magic duel. After a lengthy performance of narrow escapes and derision, Craven defeats Scarabus, and escapes with his friends after rejecting Lenore, who tries to reconcile with him after alleging she had been "under a spell". The castle then tumbles down on Scarabus and his mistress, but they are shown to survive, though Scarabus has been stripped of his magic.
Rexford and Estelle retreat alone, while Bedlo tries to convince Craven to turn him back to human form once more. Craven tells him to shut his beak and recites the famous lines from Edgar Allan Poe's poem: "Quoth the raven - nevermore".

For this movie, Corman worked with people who had experience with horror to make a horror-comedy movie, and he would be pleased with all involved. For instance, Vincent Price and Corman were working on Poe films, Boris Karloff did Universal horror films, and Peter Lorre did films of suspense in the 1930s and 1940s along with mainstream films. It is not very often one gets a chance to see three horror legends...Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, and Peter Lorre. To this day the film is liked for being one of the first horror spoof's and, Corman's comic take on Poe more so than any other Poe film. It is also remembered as a film that introduced Jack Nicolson to the film world,he later stated that he liked working on the film, but did not like the title star, the raven. Although the bird was trained, it defecated on almost everyone, including Nicholson. On the title star, he said, "I hated that bird".

The story has virtually nothing to do with the Poe poem The Raven,but the witty script by Richard Matheson has superb clever use of dialogue, which you can't help but love. And there's Corman's great eye for camera shots and use of the great gothic scenery, plus the three old masters of horror make this film a delight and a must for any old school horror fan to watch. Plus just watch as Peter Lorre steals every scene he is in and chews the scenery from beginning to end, in a truly wonderful performance that will delight and surprise. You can tell Karlof and Price are having fun and are happy to let Peter show how great an actor he is, as they just play there parts for sheer comic effect. Though  Hazel Court has a small role as the beautiful Lenore, she turns in a fine performance as well, and so do the supporting cast, including Jack Nicholson in his small bizarre role.Whether or not Corman should have turned 'The Raven' into a comedy is debatable as I for one felt some of the jokes fell flat, and yet I still love it's many decent tounge in cheek moments,but I'm sure a mre darker serious version would have been better. Still, it is irrelevant because as much a spoof as it is the film is loyal to the poem in some ways, including the wonderful ending, but basicall this is completely different no where near as dark and evil. But in the end pay differences no mind, and enjoy the three masters having fun in the most light hearted of the Poe films.7/10.

Hurray, at last, I was beginning to think you'd given up on these . I used to love this one when I was quite young, as you say it's not a classic, but great fun especially for horror fans.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14673
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/12/2012 8:26:04 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

That seems to be the only real complaint, the running time. I loved every minute and was left wanting more!

Just watched Life of Pi and was mostly bored throughout, a film I definitely thought dragged and felt uninvolved and emotionally detached throughout. Some pretty scenery and bright colours were about the best thing going for it. A 5/10 is my generous rating for this overrated bore fest. Ang Lee has seen better days. I will watch again when it gets released on DVD just incase I was in the wrong frame of mind. ( and of course I will keep hold of the receipt and use the old unwanted gift excuse for an exchange)

I rather liked it, I guess it's odd enough to paste my review on here:

Pi Patel, an immigrant from Pondicherry in India living in Canada, is approached by a local novelist who has been referred to him by his “uncle” (a family friend), believing that Pi’s life story would make a great book. Pi relates how he was originally named Piscine Molitor after a French swimming pool but changed his name to Pi because he was tired of being taunted with the nickname “Pissing Patel”. His family owned a local zoo, and Pi took an interest in the animals, especially a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. When Pi was 16 and experiencing first love, his father decided to close the zoo and move his family to Canada, and sell the zoo animals. Their ship encountered a heavy storm and sunk, killing everyone except for Pi, who was thrown into a lifeboat by a lifeguard. He found that he is sharing the boat with some of the animals…..

Even though I found his Hulk, considered a failure by its studio because it was different from the typical samey superhero exercise, to be amongst the best and certainly the most interesting movie to come from Marvel, I’ve never really considered Ang Lee to be as good as the majority of critics regard him as. He’s an intelligent but cold, analytical director; look at Brokeback Mountain, superbly made in every way but unfeeling and mechanical. Life Of Pi, from a book that Alfonso Cuaron, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and M.Night Shyamalan all considered filming, might be the best film he’s ever made. I wouldn’t say it’s perfect; it seems to me somewhat confused in its message, the last ten minutes are pointless and the special effects, though mostly very good, are occasionally poor, especially when seen in 3D, which has burdened the film somewhat. It is though a rather beautiful, haunting picture though, with a unique texture to it which raises it considerably above the many much-hyped disappointments of this year. For once, I walked out of the cinema pretty satisfied.

Now much has been made of the fact that this has been misleadingly marketed as a ‘family flick’, the kind that parents take their kids to rather than the kids go to see with their mates. I don’t think the marketing is misleading at all. Yes, the film is slower paced than the hyper fast kid’s stuff you usually get these days, has mature themes and contains things like death and animals in distress, but that’s what the parents are there for isn’t it?, to explain and maybe comfort. At the showing I saw, there were quite a few adults with kids and I didn’t hear a murmur from them. If this film had been made in the 60’s it would have been considered a family film. Nowadays, because it doesn’t feature talking animals or fart gags, it’s thought of as being unsuitable for children. A really sad sign of the times. This and Hugo are the kind of movie kids should be seeing to make them think and learn, even if in the end adults will probably get more from them.

Any suspense is somewhat lessened when we know straight away that Pi survived his ordeal, and I’m not sure that the framing device is essential. Still, the early flashback scenes, taken at a pace which is faster than usual for Lee, are done with the minimum of fuss as well as showing off the beauty of India [well, as long as you don’t think of Slumdog Millionaire]. Scenes where Pi begins to follow three different religions may strike some as pointless, but certainly intrigued me as someone who was brought up a Christian and as a teenager found it ceased to speak to me so gave up on it. Religions are constantly at odds with each other, but in the end they are all founded on the same principles, so why not follow more than one? Than we have the scene where Pi first meets Richard Parker the tiger [called so because of a clerical error], and despite all the praise that has been lavished on the CGI effects, I was dreading it. However, I was wrong. Right from the first shot of him, he totally convinces as an living animal except for close-ups of his face. Think of Aslan in the first two Narnia movies [not so much the third] but with the quality tripled.

It’s quite some time before we find ourselves at sea and when we do, we have a vivid storm sequence which is quite frightening but is at times quite blurry from the 3D. As with The Hobbit, I saw Life Of Pi in 3D because I’m a busy bee at the moment and just did not have time to see an available 2D showing. With this particular film, I would say that the 3D detracts from the experience. Some bits are too dark, others look a mess. Sometimes Lee has a bit of fun with things coming out of the screen but for the most part he concentrates on that ‘depth of field’ crap that people like Ridley Scott say is the best use of what is just a gimmick. The 3D also means that when there is a weak effect, like the brief appearance of a dolphin which doesn’t even look finished, it looks worse than it would have looked in 2D. Generally the technical side of things succeeds more than fails; the water, which often looks bad when done digitally, mostly looks great, if not really much of an advance on The Perfect Storm. The animals all look good and I did forget about the bluescreen for much of the time because I was engrossed in what was happening.

You may wonder how a film which spends two thirds of the time in a boat with a boy and a tiger can be engrossing, but it most certainly is, being both a riveting tale of survival and a slightly fantastical adventure story, with happenings like a sudden huge shower of flying fish just when Pi and the tiger are starving, and a really atmospheric diversion on an island which is not only carnivorous but seems to be almost alive, things which can’t really happen, but you buy anyway. Claudio Miranda photographs this film stunningly, with some shots of a truly awe-inspiring nature which make this probably the best photographed film of the year. Sometimes the boat even appears to sail in the sky because the water is so clear. Lee even lets us see inside Pi’s head sometimes, turning a solar system in a comic into a gaudy psychedelic spectacle and delving deep under the sea where all the animals have died but seem to be swimming around in some kind of heaven or hell. Meanwhile the relationship between boy and tiger manages to be both touching and amusing without lapsing into comic hi-jinks or sentimentality until towards near the end, where it is justified. Even here, Parker never ceases to be a wild carnivore. The film seems to be commenting on our love of animals and how we sometimes pointlessly humanise them.

The supposed twist at the end isn’t really much a twist and adds an unnecessary complication to the story, while Pi may claim his tale will make his listener believe in God but seems to be more a celebration of human fortitude and resilience. I don’t see the film as supporting religion at all, but I guess this is one of those stories that you can take something away from whatever you beliefs. Life Of Pi introduces a brilliant new actor in Suraj Sharmar. He does superbly in a role which requires virtually every human emotion and I hope he will stick around. There’s a great deal of score in this film, but Michael Danna does a great job, moving effortlessly from music that evokes the sights and sounds of India to more conventional scoring. I have not read the book on which Life Of Pi is based, but Lee and his team have mostly succeeded in carrying off a very difficult project. Thoroughly recommended….but see it in 2D.

Rating: 8/10

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14674
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/12/2012 10:37:07 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

I bring you XTRO!

(this is the point where I would bring you a picture, but I've got problems with my laptop right now...)

Anyone seen this thing? It came out in 1982, a bizarre low-budget British flick that earned classic status among my video-watching schoolfriends because, let's face it, there was a very graphic full-frontal sex scene with Myram D'Abo (probably not the right spelling), five years before becoming a Bond girl.

Found a copy on Amazon for pennies, revisited it and, I gotta say, I enjoyed it. I'll go one better and say that there could be a good remake here. Nice story about a vanished father coming back as an alien and causing mayhem with lots of slimy, bloody effects. You'll never regard it as a forgotten classic, but you might have a good time watching it with beer and pizza.

Any thoughts..?

Aw I remember Xtro from many years ago, the woman giving birth to a full grown man and other delights.I haven't seen it in decades though. As you have said it stands up to revisiting, i'll track it down in the next few days!

Hi, Dr! Don't expect a forgotten classic, but if you can get it cheap, it's worth an 80-minute nostalgia trip!

Now, I promised you my views on EXORCIST 2... it's far from a classic film but I don't think its nearly as bad as its made out to be... I quite enjoyed it. It drags like hell in places and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But Richard Burton can make the shittiest of cinematic turds watchable (no matter how drunk he may have been at the time) and I really liked the concept of 'The Good Locust'. The last 20 minutes were really enjoyable, I thought the sacrifice of a major character was unexpectedly horrible / moving and the main theme over the end credits was a lovely and under-rated tune.

Well worth a couple of quid off Amazon! What did the other people who got it on your recommendation make of it?

Say what now?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14675
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/12/2012 12:48:22 PM   
losthighway

Oh i'd say a boy stuck in a boat with a tiger warrants the weird/strange label Dr!

That's what I love about this thread the weird/strange factors can cover such a large spectrum!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14676
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/12/2012 4:25:38 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I bring you XTRO!

Any thoughts..?

Here's my old review, I had this on Laserdisc many moons ago, and then VHS, I've still to get the DVD, but i'm hoping it pops up on Blu-Ray at some point. 

Tony's father Sam, abducted by aliens three years earlier, returns to earth and seeks out his wife and son, but Rachel has since been living with Joe and the reunion is awkward. Joe doesn't trust Sam, and Rachel can't quite decide what her feelings are for her two men. Sam is not the same as when he left, and he begins affecting Tony in frightening ways.

XTRO is one low budget British Sci/Fi /horror flick, that is one of the sickest, twisted movie's ever released to the big screen.The film is fun to watch because it's so wonky and bizarre that it makes it impossible to stop looking at it. And the cheap synth music, coupled with the UFO storyline and the odd looking alien all give the film a unique otherworldly feel to it that's more effective than 99% of big budgeted films made in Hollywood. If early David Cronenberg had directed an alien movie, it probably would have looked something like XTRO. But even all of its good aspects don't hide the fact that the film doesn't make much sense and the acting and dialogue are for the most part, bad.I remember reading about the making of XTRO, and how the director and most of the crew where stoned for most of the time. Some LSD was involved too during the scripting stage, and as you said they kept on adding just about anything just for the fun of it. The movie was cut for it's US release yet the BBFC passed it uncut for the UK cinema release, though it was banned from Video release for a number of years.

It is a truly discussing movie, just perfect for us sickos, and only the British could make a movie as crazy as this, or David Cronenberg maybe David Lynch. But if you're a fan of films about sci/fi horror like me, make sure to check this film out. And watch for the most crazy scene ever, a woman giving birth to a fully grown man, that's just for starters. There's also toy killer soldiers, a father eating his son's pet snakes eggs,and so much more twisted sick moments, you might just need a sick bag. I just wish this a got a make over and a release on Blu-Ray, for it deserves to be seen on that new format, and in my book is the most Bizarre film of all time.7/10 

< Message edited by evil bill -- 31/12/2012 4:42:18 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14677
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/12/2012 4:39:53 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Well I hope everyone had a good Xmas. Despite being in my mid-30s I really was spoilt this Xmas by the folks...

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST BR

I haven't really watched anything of note over the festive period. I had been looking forward to THE GIRL for months but sadly it turned out to be rather slow and presented Hitchcock as a one-dimensional dirty old man. The Birds is my favourite film ever, so it was fun to see the behind the scenes moments but overall I was rather disappointed by this TV movie and if anything it makes me want to see Hitchcock in February for comparison.

On a slightly different note... I watched some of my Blue Underground DVDs of the Italian horrors I have upgraded to Arrow BR... despite it getting a critical malling, I'll say right now I am so pleased I bought THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY, my BU DVD is shockingly poor in comparison.

And can anyone tell me if Total Recall: Director's Cut is worth a rental on SKY Box Office. Colin looks gorgeous (as usual!), so even if the film is shit I can at least swoon... Any comments (on the film, obviously) appreciated...

Well Big Boy you have had a great Christmas, and i'm glad to hear THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY, has cleaned up perfect on Blu=Ray, I just might replace all my Italian Horror films with Blu_Ray in the new year.
For me the best Hitchcock film is PSYCHO with THE BIRDS a close second.
TOTAL RECALL (2012) is a well paced action/Sci/Fi, but I still prefer the original, but i'm sure you'll enjoy seeing your favourite actor giving his all.

Post #: 14678
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/12/2012 4:52:05 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

That seems to be the only real complaint, the running time. I loved every minute and was left wanting more!

Just watched Life of Pi and was mostly bored throughout, a film I definitely thought dragged and felt uninvolved and emotionally detached throughout. Some pretty scenery and bright colours were about the best thing going for it. A 5/10 is my generous rating for this overrated bore fest. Ang Lee has seen better days. I will watch again when it gets released on DVD just incase I was in the wrong frame of mind. ( and of course I will keep hold of the receipt and use the old unwanted gift excuse for an exchange)

I rather liked it, I guess it's odd enough to paste my review on here:

The supposed twist at the end isn't really much a twist and adds an unnecessary complication to the story, while Pi may claim his tale will make his listener believe in God but seems to be more a celebration of human fortitude and resilience. I don't see the film as supporting religion at all, but I guess this is one of those stories that you can take something away from whatever you beliefs. Life Of Pi introduces a brilliant new actor in Suraj Sharmar. He does superbly in a role which requires virtually every human emotion and I hope he will stick around. There's a great deal of score in this film, but Michael Danna does a great job, moving effortlessly from music that evokes the sights and sounds of India to more conventional scoring. I have not read the book on which Life Of Pi is based, but Lee and his team have mostly succeeded in carrying off a very difficult project. Thoroughly recommended….but see it in 2D.

Another vote for PI, and another great Review from the good Dr, and I see Mister Coe enjoyed that film we dare not mention, but I still hate it.
quote:

THE RAVEN (1963)

Hurray, at last, I was beginning to think you'd given up on these . I used to love this one when I was quite young, as you say it's not a classic, but great fun especially for horror fans.

Thanks Dr, I knew you loved this one, it's just so much fun, though it's no classic.
And to one and all;
HAPPY NEW YEAR let's hope 2013 is one of the better years for all.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 31/12/2012 5:01:26 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14679
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/1/2013 12:46:14 PM   
dannyfletch

Wow, you have rated this high! Maybe I do need to give it a second go when the DVD comes out.
I just had that empty unsatisfied feeling at the end.

Well I have been playing catch up over the holidays and have just watched a film that I do think is a masterpiece.

The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is indeed a modern masterpiece that will not appeal to everyone as it is indeed slow moving, includes a lead character many will find unlikable and touches on the controversial subject of Scientology. For me Scientology is not a subject or religion that I agree with or follow and this film certainly didn't make it appeal to me any more, in fact for me it exposed it as being quite ridiculous. The film cleverly doesn't name the religion and just presents it as a new religion which has been founded by a man named Lancaster Dodd ( brilliantly portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffmann). Joaquin Pheonix gives possibly the best performance of his career so far as troubled drifter Freddie Quell who, after having just discharged from the navy at the end of World War 2, gets recruited by Dodd and is exposed to the new religion.
As the film goes on we find that Freddie is not only troubled but also very much a wild free spirit and Dodd becomes increasingly frustrated as his plans of raining Freddie in and gaining control of him do not go accordingly and we are treated to a kind of psychological battle between the two which also shows off two powerhouse performances that both Pheonix and Hoffman ( especially Pheonix) fully deserve Oscars.
The cinematography is also worth a mention as the film is brilliantly shot with some excellent scenery and stunning wide shots.
Like I said, this is a film that simply won't appeal to everyone's taste, a marmite movie that some will hate and others will love. One of the people I watched it with said they found it narcissitic, self indulgent and pretentious. I thought the complete opposite and believe it is a film to be approached with an open and clear mind. The reality is, as much as it deserves to, that this probably won't clear up much at the Oscars as it's just not mainstream enough and as we all know its not necessarily the best films that win much at the Oscars.
Since watching the excellent There Will Be Blood I have loved Paul Thomas Anderson's style of directing and film making. He kind of reminds me of a modern day Kubrick and I eagerly await whatever his next project may be. This is the type of film I will watch on numerous occasions and in my opinion it is an incredibly brave and bold film that stands up on its own. My rating would be a 10/10. One of the best and most original movies of 2012!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 4/1/2013 10:08:35 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14680
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/1/2013 1:15:42 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

I bring you XTRO!

Any thoughts..?

Hi, Dr! Don't expect a forgotten classic, but if you can get it cheap, it's worth an 80-minute nostalgia trip!

Now, I promised you my views on EXORCIST 2... it's far from a classic film but I don't think its nearly as bad as its made out to be... I quite enjoyed it. It drags like hell in places and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But Richard Burton can make the shittiest of cinematic turds watchable (no matter how drunk he may have been at the time) and I really liked the concept of 'The Good Locust'. The last 20 minutes were really enjoyable, I thought the sacrifice of a major character was unexpectedly horrible / moving and the main theme over the end credits was a lovely and under-rated tune.

Well worth a couple of quid off Amazon! What did the other people who got it on your recommendation make of it?

Glad you were able to appreciate it....kind of...I mean I'm well aware it has problems but is so much more interesting than a lot of horrors these days. The other two haven't reported back yet...maybe they haven't recovered from sitting through it yet

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14681
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/1/2013 1:18:58 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Wow, you have rated this high! Maybe I do need to give it a second go when the DVD comes out.
I just had that empty in satisfied feeling at the end.

Well I have been playing catch up over the holidays and have just watched a film that I do think is a masterpiece. Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is indeed a modern masterpiece that will not appeal to everyone as it is indeed slow moving, includes a lead character many will find unlikable and touches on the controversial subject of Scientology. For me Scientology is not a subject or religion that I agree with or follow and this film certainly didn't make it appeal to me any more, in fact for me it exposed it as being quite ridiculous. The film cleverly doesn't name the religion and just presents it as a new religion which has been founded by a man named Lancaster Dodd ( brilliantly portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffmann). Joaquin Pheonix gives possibly the best performance of his career so far as troubled drifter Freddie Quell who, after having just discharged from the navy at the end of World War 2, gets recruited by Dodd and is exposed to the new religion.
Like I said, this is a film that simply won't appeal to everyone's taste, a marmite movie that some will hate and others will love. Since watching the excellent There Will Be Blood I have loved Paul Thomas Anderson's style of directing and film making. He kind of reminds me of a modern day Kubrick. This is the type of film I will watch on numerous occasions and in my opinion it is an incredibly brave and bold film that stands up on its own. My rating would be a 10/10. One of the best and most original movies of 2012!

No disagreement here mate, a stunning film that requires your total concentration but is very rewarding as long as you're willing to actually THINK [I loved the ending though I know many don't]. Joaquin is superb. Amazingly this is the first PT Anderson film I've seen;now I need to see the others!

Post #: 14682
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/1/2013 4:00:18 PM   
dannyfletch

Oh seek out There Will Be Blood as soon as possible! It is an astonishing film that had me breathless and hooked from start to finish. It is awe inspiring film making with Daniel Day Lewis at his ruthless best!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14683
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/1/2013 7:24:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I just had that empty unsatisfied feeling at the end.

Well I have been playing catch up over the holidays and have just watched a film that I do think is a masterpiece. Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is indeed a modern masterpiece that will not appeal to everyone as it is indeed slow moving, includes a lead character many will find unlikable and touches on the controversial subject of Scientology. For me Scientology is not a subject or religion that I agree with or follow and this film certainly didn't make it appeal to me any more, in fact for me it exposed it as being quite ridiculous. The film cleverly doesn't name the religion and just presents it as a new religion which has been founded by a man named Lancaster Dodd ( brilliantly portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffmann). Joaquin Pheonix gives possibly the best performance of his career so far as troubled drifter Freddie Quell who, after having just discharged from the navy at the end of World War 2, gets recruited by Dodd and is exposed to the new religion.
Like I said, this is a film that simply won't appeal to everyone's taste, a marmite movie that some will hate and others will love. Since watching the excellent There Will Be Blood I have loved Paul Thomas Anderson's style of directing and film making. He kind of reminds me of a modern day Kubrick. This is the type of film I will watch on numerous occasions and in my opinion it is an incredibly brave and bold film that stands up on its own. My rating would be a 10/10. One of the best and most original movies of 2012!

I have seen his excellent THERE WILL BE BLOOD, but not this one, which I will add to my must see list, and i'm glad to here Joaquin Phoenix is still worth watching. I loved Boogie Nights and  Magnolia, but for me There Will Be Blood was Paul Thomas Anderson's career best so far, and going by your review as short as it is, I feel he's back to the same sort of underlining theme that was in There Will Be Blood.

Post #: 14684
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/1/2013 10:06:27 PM   
dannyfletch

I agree, There Will Be Blood is possibly his best film so far. Although The Master is damn close and after I watch it again on blu-ray I may change my mind and vote it as his best. Actually thinking about it, they might well be neck and neck. Didn't want to give away too much in the review so left it nice and short. I may extend it at a later date.
I'm sure you will love it and look forward to reading your verdict.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14685
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/1/2013 9:09:30 PM   
Platter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Men In Black 3 (2012)

It was an enjoyable film. It was unremarkable but it was well made (apart from some poor computer effects) and the script was competent. The biggest laugh was the Andy Warhol character. It's about on par with the quality of the first film.

7 out of 10

I would not rate Men In Black 3 that high it was ok but only just, and yet I do agree about Get The Gringo, spot on in fact.

Men In Black (1997)

It was better than I remembered. Lots of interesting ideas and touches. And the jokes were funny. It's a solid, entertaining movie. I liked the brief running time so nothing got a chance to outstay its welcome. Linda Fiorentino's performance wasn't so much deadpan as just bored.

7 out of 10

Men In Black II (2002)

This was not the disaster I was expecting. It was a very, very average flat film of no distinction. The computer effects were consistently bad and fake throughout. The female lead was alright. Like everything in the film she could have been better, but she wasn't terrible. It's not like the character she was given was full of great potential. Will Smith has a particularly pointless fight with a man made up of several hovercraft flying heads. It felt very tacked on at the last minute. Overall the film was short and mildly entertaining. The thing that annoyed me was that the first film set out the world and took it seriously. In the sequel they don't keep consistent with it and have a more rubbery, cartoony attitude towards internal logic. For example Patrick Warburton's incompetent idiot agent would never have been given the job as an MIB agent in the first place as they would never have hired such a halfwit. It makes a mockery of all that hiring stuff as depicted in the first film.

5 out of 10

Donnie Darko - Original Cinema Cut (2001)

***SPOILERS***

I used to find this film to be awkward and boring. I then saw the director's cut which I quite liked. This is the first time I've seen the original edit since I watched director's cut. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It's a solid and interesting film. It was 7 out of 10 stuff. Then the last ten minutes blew it. I really don't think the ending makes much sense, or even means anything. Why does the events of the previous ninety minutes even take place? None of it adds up and leads to him sacrificing himself for any proper reason. The ending is garbled meaningless nonsense where things happen for its own sake, and doesn't build on the plot we've been following so far. Why does the dead kid Frank start time travelling and start talking to Donnie? I don't know, and I don't think the writer-director knows either. I really don't think the ending ties it all together or adds up. I'm docking a point for the fudged ending. It's dramatically inept as it renders everything redundant that has taken place up to that point.

6 out of 10

< Message edited by Platter -- 3/1/2013 9:13:04 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14686
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/1/2013 1:51:06 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

I bring you XTRO!

Any thoughts..?

Here's my old review, I had this on Laserdisc many moons ago, and then VHS, I've still to get the DVD, but i'm hoping it pops up on Blu-Ray at some point. 

Tony's father Sam, abducted by aliens three years earlier, returns to earth and seeks out his wife and son, but Rachel has since been living with Joe and the reunion is awkward. Joe doesn't trust Sam, and Rachel can't quite decide what her feelings are for her two men. Sam is not the same as when he left, and he begins affecting Tony in frightening ways.

XTRO is one low budget British Sci/Fi /horror flick, that is one of the sickest, twisted movie's ever released to the big screen.The film is fun to watch because it's so wonky and bizarre that it makes it impossible to stop looking at it. And the cheap synth music, coupled with the UFO storyline and the odd looking alien all give the film a unique otherworldly feel to it that's more effective than 99% of big budgeted films made in Hollywood. If early David Cronenberg had directed an alien movie, it probably would have looked something like XTRO. But even all of its good aspects don't hide the fact that the film doesn't make much sense and the acting and dialogue are for the most part, bad.I remember reading about the making of XTRO, and how the director and most of the crew where stoned for most of the time. Some LSD was involved too during the scripting stage, and as you said they kept on adding just about anything just for the fun of it. The movie was cut for it's US release yet the BBFC passed it uncut for the UK cinema release, though it was banned from Video release for a number of years.

It is a truly discussing movie, just perfect for us sickos, and only the British could make a movie as crazy as this, or David Cronenberg maybe David Lynch. But if you're a fan of films about sci/fi horror like me, make sure to check this film out. And watch for the most crazy scene ever, a woman giving birth to a fully grown man, that's just for starters. There's also toy killer soldiers, a father eating his son's pet snakes eggs,and so much more twisted sick moments, you might just need a sick bag. I just wish this a got a make over and a release on Blu-Ray, for it deserves to be seen on that new format, and in my book is the most Bizarre film of all time.7/10 

I recently dug Xtro (1982) and gave it a watch again recently. A truly nasty and surreal sci-fi horror with effects ranging from repellent to laughable. The director admitted in the DVD extras that both the crew and himself were out of their faces on drugs for most of the shoot so they threw everything, including the kitchen sink, at the audience. One of the investors insisted on a big cat being included in the action hense the inclusion of the death by big cat in one of the more bizarre setpieces. I have no shame in saying that I really enjoyed this film. It is everything that a video nasty should be and some of the makeup effects are extremely gruesome.
[image]http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq87/murderhahaha/xtro11.jpg?t=1251755683[/image]

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14687
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/1/2013 3:55:30 PM   
UTB

Anyone seen Excision yet? Seems like a very appropriate film for this thread and its an absolute belter!

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 14688
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/1/2013 8:14:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

I recently dug Xtro (1982) and gave it a watch again recently. A truly nasty and surreal sci-fi horror with effects ranging from repellent to laughable. The director admitted in the DVD extras that both the crew and himself were out of their faces on drugs for most of the shoot so they threw everything, including the kitchen sink, at the audience. One of the investors insisted on a big cat being included in the action hense the inclusion of the death by big cat in one of the more bizarre setpieces. I have no shame in saying that I really enjoyed this film. It is everything that a video nasty should be and some of the makeup effects are extremely gruesome.
[image]http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq87/murderhahaha/xtro11.jpg?t=1251755683[/image]

XTRO must be one of the most tasteless disturbing Brit flicks of all time, and yes there's a lot of it makes you squirm, or laugh out loud, but overall it's disturbing big time.
Now for something more light hearted and a film that will like Xtro never be mainstream, even though there still talking of a remake. Got this on Blu-Ray so though it's not extreme, it is a very bizarre film in it's own right, and looks great on the shiny disc;
BARBARELLA (1968)

Barbarella (Jane Fonda), an interstellar representative of the united Earth government in the 41st century, is dispatched to locate scientist Durand Durand, whose positronic ray, if not recovered, could signal the end of humanity. Outfitted in an array of stunning Star Trek/Bond girl outfits and cruising around in a plush, psychedelic spaceship, Barbarella travels to the Tau Seti system and promptly crash-lands. She then spends the rest of the film discovering the joys of interstellar sex with a keeper of feral children (Ugo Tognazzi), a blind, beatific angel (John Phillip Law), and an inept revolutionary named Dildano (David Hemmings). Slowly but surely, she also finds her way to Durand Durand by moving from one exotic, Wizard of Oz-style locale to another. Along the way, she meets the kindly Professor Ping (Marcel Marceau), a Eurotrash dominatrix named the Great Tyrant (Anita Pallenberg), and the Concierge (Milo O'Shea), a strangely familiar lackey of the Great Tyrant who tries to destroy Barbarella with his great big organ of love.

There's been talk of a remake of this film for some time now, and still no sign of it, but I think it's time to remember this mad fantasy/comic sci/fi movie that had are dad's foaming at the mouth and mum's not too pleased. It was taken from the comic created by Jean-Claude Forest in 1962 for V-Magazine, he also film served as visual advisor on the adaptation. The film's missing scientist character famously inspired the band name of '80s pop stars Duran Duran, who altered the spelling slightly. Almost two decades later, the film also inspired electronic act Matmos, which was named after the aqueous personification of evil unleashed by the Concierge at the movie's climax.The film on release only made $2.5 at the box office, and got heavily paned by the critics of the time,it was re-released from 1977-1980 with a PG rating, and found a bigger audience, as it was now a cult film, that a certain Howard Stern championed, though he watched it with some LSD, it is said. Me I just get out the Vodka sit back and enjoy, though be warned production is flawed with a cast that is not particularly comic, a flat plodding script, by Terry Southern of Dr Strangelove fame, which to be honest has some fun dialogue which occasionally works. The direction from Rodger Vadim(Jane Fonda's husband at that time, nudge, nudge wink wink, you know what I mean, very expensive soft porn film) is average and only get's saved by the wild sets,and it's mix of French, Italian and British film crew that give it a real Euro trash feel, and very much a cult classic in it's own way.

This movie opens with the most famous striptease in cinema history, as a weightless Jane Fonda(Barbarella) strips from a cumbersome space suit to her birthday suit. Her sex kitten looks were enough to drive young men crazy and made her a household name, very much the way Pamla Anderson hit the big time after Baywatch. Only Jane went on to become a true actor in her own right, Pamla's attempt to enter the sexy comic heroine in Barbed Wire(1996),failed to get her more movie roles, but Jane went on to higher film, but for sheer fun this is one her most famous roles. Yeah it's got real camp humour of the sexual kind, though not that explicit more Carry on humour than anything to adult, and Jane finds it imposable to keep her clothes on for long periods. But that's all part of the fun as it's amazing sets, sexy costumes(with every bit of the PVC clinging in the right places)and even epic comic book look add up to a great visual treat. The film that boasts some truly stunning beautiful photography sort of a more kinky version of Flash Gordon(1980),which I loved with it's arty over the top look and pounding soundtrack, well this too has a great soundtrack though very 60's.Some have compared this to Flesh Gordon, but that's a proper porn film which this is no where near, after all it's got a PG rating, which might put you off but there's plenty of beautiful women, and guys for the girls. There's also the lesbian Black Queen who can make your most bizarre fantasies come true, in her dream chamber, the evil organ of desire scene, a killer lava lamp,and lot's more bizarre being's right through this zany, fun, sexy, sometimes erotic and totally  bizarre movie.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 7/1/2013 8:35:04 PM >

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 14689
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/1/2013 8:28:04 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Anyone seen Excision yet? Seems like a very appropriate film for this thread and its an absolute belter!

Watched the trailer but haven't seen this one yet, may just have to wait till the rental is out, as I know it did not get a wide release.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14690
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/1/2013 9:21:05 PM   
dannyfletch

I have seen Excision and recommend it strongly to anyone on here.
I really enjoyed it. It's like a crazy mix of John Waters meets David Cronenberg.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14691
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/1/2013 7:21:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I have seen Excision and recommend it strongly to anyone on here.
I really enjoyed it. It's like a crazy mix of John Waters meets David Cronenberg.

Well that's two that have enjoyed and seen, and love your description of the films style, sounds perfect to me, maybe the Dr has seen it and will post a review or anybody else, like yourself mate. even a short one. Go On Go On Go On have a go, it can be like LH post very short or the Dr very long winded, even Platter has a go these days. 

Now we love are strange horror films on here, well the next chapter in nordic horror folklore is here! THALE (2012)  trailer has finally been released, it's on U Tube and this is so much more than we ever expected. We always knew that trolls and other nordic tales are weird but this is something else indeed, sorry I seem to be unable to paste a link, but just go to U Tube trailers it's all there.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 8/1/2013 7:50:46 PM >

Post #: 14692
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/1/2013 8:13:42 PM   
losthighway

Forgotten about already... I reviewed Excision a few pages back... It was OK but I think it felt very similar to a certain werewolf/menstrual cycle film! Worth a watch but not sure it's a film I would watch again. Think I gave it 2.5/3 out of 5. Forget which, have a flick backwards...

I've been on a pre-order frenzy...

TOMB RAIDER (XBOX360)
DEAD SPACE 3 (XBOX360)
FROM BEYOND (BR)

And bought...

OZ - Emerald City Collection (S1-6) - never seen it but heard good things and currently on offer at Amazon UK.
The Walking Dead: S2 - it's been sat on my SKY+ box for over a year now but i'm missing eps 1-3 and the season finale, so decided to buy the boxset and give it a second. If it bores me still I'll just trade it in at CEX!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 8/1/2013 8:15:13 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14693
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/1/2013 8:52:31 PM   
Dr Lenera

Jacob is 24 and confined to a life of isolation due to a rare skin disorder that prevents him from being exposed to sunlight. He begins to get increasingly hungry and it seems that nothing can satiate his hunger until he starts to drink butcher shop blood. Feeling better, he goes to a club and meets bar girl and cigarette seller Mary. They are immediately attracted to one another, but Jacob’s actions become increasingly bizarre after he accidentally tastes some of Mary’s blood and realises that human blood is what he really needs…..

Apparently in some quarters Midnight Son has been marketed as a Twilight variant, but one review on the promotional material I received with the DVD of the film called it “the perfect antidote to Twilight“, and indeed it isn’t much like thAT horrible franchise at all, a franchise that for a while had me convinced it would do vampires far more damage than any stake through the heart or blazing sunlight. The directorial debut of special effects artist Scott Leberecht, known for HIS stirling work on a variety of projects from Sleepy Hollow to One Hundred And One Dalmations, it is a film he has not only struggled to complete over several years, but the result was well worth it. This is a bleak, downbeat but very worthwhile film that may not as original as some are saying; comparisons to Martin and Let The Right One In are valid, but it reminded me more of the almost forgotten The Wisdom Of Crocodiles – but it certainly kept me riveted and guessing as to the outcome.

Midnight Son is quite unique in look and feel right from the early scenes which rather movingly detail Jacob’s lonely life. Though set mostly at night, the colours are bright and even bilious, Lyn Moncrief’s evocative photography really showing what night time would actually seem like to somebody who hardly ever sees daylight. From the slightly sickly blue and pink hues of one particular nocturnal walk to the bright red of the inside of Mary’s apartment [I can’t imagine anyone wanting to live in it], this is a film which uses colour strikingly and sometimes cleverly, and destroys any notion you may have that films set at night have to be visually dark and even dull. Of course black is used in some scenes but after a while I almost forgot the film was mostly set nocturnally. Added to this is the odd somnambulistic, almost dreamlike feel of the piece, in which Kays Al-Altrachi’s ambient sounds play a special part. I’m personally fed-up with this type of music, which is of course cheap to produce, being so much in films these days, but it really works in Midnight Son, almost giving it a sense of being both asleep and awake, a rather hazy, druggy quality.

So mix the look and feel of this film and you have something rather interesting, and its story is intriguing enough to leave you unsure as to how it will develop and pan out. It’s told at a very slow pace, and some may feel a few scenes, especially ones of Jacob alone, go on a bit too long but the languid handling seemed most effective to me in helping to give the impression of Jacob’s dreary life in the early scenes and his tormented life after. The film doesn’t seem too interested in gathering much pace even in the final third, but it’s nice to see a film like this that doesn’t feel the need to climax in lots of action. I should say right here that there is still a fair amount of blood, with a few moments of gruesomeness, though most of the especially grisly stuff is more hinted at or just shown partially. In any case, you don’t get any fangs in this movie, which tries to adopt a realistic attitude to vampirism while still sticking to some of its conventions. At times this doesn’t quite work; why all this attempt at believability when for instance a wound can still disappear immediately and eyes can turn catlike?

Overall though as long as you don’t expect tons of vampires jumping around you will probably be very caught up in what is both a very affecting and even relatable [I mean, isn’t one of the reasons Taxi Driver is so powerful and disturbing that we’ve all felt like Travis Bickle at some point in our lives?] study of a person who is isolated from all around him and an off-beat love story. The central couple may not spend ages staring at each other or waffling along about eternal love, but you will want them to sort out their respective issues and live happily ever after. Jacob may have the lion’s share of the troubles, being someone who gets burnt by sunlight, has a worsening addiction to human blood and, it seems, has to bite at the point of orgasm, but Mary is a cocaine addict and actually seems the most needy one of the two. The efforts of her and shy, awkward Jacob to become a ‘real’ couple, to the point of even when they try to have sex, are almost heartbreaking to watch, and I felt a thousand times more involved with these two poor people than Bella and Edward, though the film does take a risk by having Jacob [who, of course, was also a Twilight character] looking rather like Edward Cullen at times.

Fortunately Zak Kilberg does a very good job in what is a hard one to pull off. We have to feel for Jacob and want him to find some kind of happiness, but also need to be a little scared and properly revolted by his habits. Caulin-Young does this very well, and he is matched by Maya Parish who is able to hint at a very troubled past for her character without spelling anything out. It’s just as well they are so good, because the camera is forever lingering on them in close-up, trapping them, preventing them from getting away, and that’s exactly right, because these people are trapped. Without giving anything away, you just know it’s not going to end well. I’m not totally sure what happened at the end, but I wonder if this was intended so you can make up your own interpretation. I love endings which do this though some may be unsatisfied and actually it’s not that different from a previously seen one. It does finish the film on an entirely appropriate image that is both horrifying and tender.

Sometimes it is ambiguous what is going on and some things are unexplained, such as how Jacob develops his condition. These are probably intentional so the viewer is left feeling as dislocated and out-of-synch as its main character. The supporting characters, who include a detective and a hospital porter who supplies addicts with their needs and has an especially horrific way of getting blood, are well played even if some of the plotting involving them becomes a little forced, but then the tale had to develop somehow. For the most part, Midnight Son is a rather haunting and endearing [in the best way] drama, and its universal themes of addiction, unstoppable change and our desperate desire to be a part of something are handled in a way that makes the piece very compelling.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 15/1/2013 8:28:14 AM >

Post #: 14694
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/1/2013 8:53:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

XTRO must be one of the most tasteless disturbing Brit flicks of all time, and yes there's a lot of it makes you squirm, or laugh out loud, but overall it's disturbing big time.
Now for something more light hearted and a film that will like Xtro never be mainstream, even though there still talking of a remake. Got this on Blu-Ray so though it's not extreme, it is a very bizarre film in it's own right, and looks great on the shiny disc;
BARBARELLA (1968)

Barbarella (Jane Fonda), an interstellar representative of the united Earth government in the 41st century, is dispatched to locate scientist Durand Durand, whose positronic ray, if not recovered, could signal the end of humanity. Outfitted in an array of stunning Star Trek/Bond girl outfits and cruising around in a plush, psychedelic spaceship, Barbarella travels to the Tau Seti system and promptly crash-lands. She then spends the rest of the film discovering the joys of interstellar sex with a keeper of feral children (Ugo Tognazzi), a blind, beatific angel (John Phillip Law), and an inept revolutionary named Dildano (David Hemmings). Slowly but surely, she also finds her way to Durand Durand by moving from one exotic, Wizard of Oz-style locale to another. Along the way, she meets the kindly Professor Ping (Marcel Marceau), a Eurotrash dominatrix named the Great Tyrant (Anita Pallenberg), and the Concierge (Milo O'Shea), a strangely familiar lackey of the Great Tyrant who tries to destroy Barbarella with his great big organ of love.

There's been talk of a remake of this film for some time now, and still no sign of it, but I think it's time to remember this mad fantasy/comic sci/fi movie that had are dad's foaming at the mouth and mum's not too pleased. It was taken from the comic created by Jean-Claude Forest in 1962 for V-Magazine, he also film served as visual advisor on the adaptation. The film's missing scientist character famously inspired the band name of '80s pop stars Duran Duran, who altered the spelling slightly. Almost two decades later, the film also inspired electronic act Matmos, which was named after the aqueous personification of evil unleashed by the Concierge at the movie's climax.The film on release only made $2.5 at the box office, and got heavily paned by the critics of the time,it was re-released from 1977-1980 with a PG rating, and found a bigger audience, as it was now a cult film, that a certain Howard Stern championed, though he watched it with some LSD, it is said. Me I just get out the Vodka sit back and enjoy, though be warned production is flawed with a cast that is not particularly comic, a flat plodding script, by Terry Southern of Dr Strangelove fame, which to be honest has some fun dialogue which occasionally works. The direction from Rodger Vadim(Jane Fonda's husband at that time, nudge, nudge wink wink, you know what I mean, very expensive soft porn film) is average and only get's saved by the wild sets,and it's mix of French, Italian and British film crew that give it a real Euro trash feel, and very much a cult classic in it's own way.

This movie opens with the most famous striptease in cinema history, as a weightless Jane Fonda(Barbarella) strips from a cumbersome space suit to her birthday suit. Her sex kitten looks were enough to drive young men crazy and made her a household name, very much the way Pamla Anderson hit the big time after Baywatch. Only Jane went on to become a true actor in her own right, Pamla's attempt to enter the sexy comic heroine in Barbed Wire(1996),failed to get her more movie roles, but Jane went on to higher film, but for sheer fun this is one her most famous roles. Yeah it's got real camp humour of the sexual kind, though not that explicit more Carry on humour than anything to adult, and Jane finds it imposable to keep her clothes on for long periods. But that's all part of the fun as it's amazing sets, sexy costumes(with every bit of the PVC clinging in the right places)and even epic comic book look add up to a great visual treat. The film that boasts some truly stunning beautiful photography sort of a more kinky version of Flash Gordon(1980),which I loved with it's arty over the top look and pounding soundtrack, well this too has a great soundtrack though very 60's.Some have compared this to Flesh Gordon, but that's a proper porn film which this is no where near, after all it's got a PG rating, which might put you off but there's plenty of beautiful women, and guys for the girls. There's also the lesbian Black Queen who can make your most bizarre fantasies come true, in her dream chamber, the evil organ of desire scene, a killer lava lamp,and lot's more bizarre being's right through this zany, fun, sexy, sometimes erotic and totally  bizarre movie.7/10

I love Barbarella, such fun, and astounding to look at, even if, in the end, not a great film really!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14695
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/1/2013 9:50:12 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST BR

Stop right there! The RAMMSTEIN BR...

I'm dying to get hold of this, but I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff on AMAZON, not about the quality of the content, but that it's a 2 disc set and there are many sets that have only one disc, duplicated.

I live in a town that has no record stores, so I have to travel to buy the stuff I want or get it off the internet and it's such a pain in the arse if something I bought is wrong...

Anyone got any feedback on this?

(And if anyone doesn't think that music videos have any place on a WEIRD/STRANGE movies thread... have you ever seen a RAMMSTEIN video? Get thee to the Internet!)

Say what now?

Post #: 14696
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/1/2013 11:19:38 AM   
Platter

I watched Eraserhead for the first time last night.

Eraserhead (1976)

While certainly not a fun movie, I didn't find it difficult or boring. The pace was very slow, but it was strangely compelling and I found time slipped away quite fast. Only the last twenty minutes started to test my patience, but that section has some of the best material in it. Even when nothing was happening for a long chunk of time I felt there was something engaging to look at. Visually it was very crisp and clean with well chosen and informative camera angles so I didn't feel it was claustrophobic and grim with everything closed in and awkward looking. The story didn't amount to much but I didn't expect it to so I wasn't disappointed. The 'In Heaven' song was disappointing as it was just a short fragment of a song, not the full thing which I was expecting. The lead actor reminded me a lot of David Lynch himself with the strange hair and the loud voice saying simple, slow, short sentences. So I suspect this is his most autobiographical film with an actor standing in directly for Lynch. It's not a substantial movie of any great depths. I think it's more style over substance. What is there is just about enough to sustain the film through its short running time. Overall neither good or bad. You have to want to like it to 'get it' though. If you're not on its side, or you want more conventional drama, then it will only frustrate and bore.

5 out of 10 stars

***SPOILERS***

I think Lynch missed a big trick with the end of Eraserhead. He wasted the pencil erasers as a dream sequence. Instead if he reorganised the scenes he could have this instead:

Henry kills the baby. Then he goes mad with remorse and tries to escape into the radiator. Once inside the radiator he is serenaded with the 'In Heaven' song. His refuge turns into a nightmare as the kid's head takes over his body. His decapitated head is then used to make pencil erasers. The end. I think that is odder, more surreal and more disturbing.

< Message edited by Platter -- 9/1/2013 11:03:50 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14697
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/1/2013 11:41:12 AM   
dannyfletch

I completely understand your view on Eraserhead mate. I absolutely love David Lynch films ( Lost Highway and Dune my 2 favourites) but did find that this film is just too weird and strange to fully enjoy. I felt quite nauseous whilst watching it and didn't find it a particularly enjoyable experience. I know this thread is written for films like Eraserhead but it is one of the very few very strange/weird movies I don't like! Give me any other Lynch film but for me it is inaccessible.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14698
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/1/2013 12:43:34 PM   
dannyfletch

Now, a Blu-ray box set I was given this Xmas that I am very pleased with is the Indiana Jones movies. Now I know they are not exactly weird or strange but they are indeed classics ( execpt for the 4th entry ) and I feel they are definitely worth a mention and recomendation.

Raiders of the Lost Ark as we all know is an absolute classic and one of the best action/adventure movies of all time. It has the best opening scene, the best female companion in the form of Karen Allen and some excellent set pieces including my particular favorite chase, great stunts and a Nazi face melting finale which scared the life out of me as a 10 year old! The transfer is amazing, crisp colours, fine details which make it look as good as new. It would be unfair to give Raiders anything less than 10/10

Temple of Doom is quite different from Raiders in a few ways. Mainly set in India rather than the desert, it is also slightly darker in places, also a bit sillier and definitley has the most annoying female companion in the form of Mrs Spielberg Kate Capshaw. Temple is not perfect but is a solid and very enjoyable sequel and has yet again some amazing stunts and set pieces. It also includes the young ( at the time) boy companion Short Round ( played by Jonathan Ke Quan) who makes for a likable and fun sidekick for Indy. Now this is a transfer that did take me by surprise. They have really done an excellent job on cleaning up the picture. From what I remember of my dvd copy, the fake background on the famous mine chase sequence was really hazy and out of focus and now it looks crisp and in focus which breaths new life into it. There is also a scene which I have not seen before in which you see the bad guy Mola Ram actually take the heart out of his first victim ( complete with cool old school special effects of chest opening and closing), a scene which gives it a slightly darker and edge than it had before. All in all a classic ( not quite as good as the first) sequel which makes for a fun, entertaining ride. 8.5/10
The Last Crusade brings it back to the familiar territory of the first installment. With Nazi's as the bad guys and more of a desert setting this is ( in my opinion ) as good as Raiders. With some background story on the development of Indiana the films opens with a chase scene involving a young teenage Indy, brilliantly played by River Pheonix, and of course includes his old man Henry Jones senior played by the excellent Sean Connery. One of the best pairings in cinematic history, Ford and Connery are great fun together playing father and son. Again there are plenty of great chase scenes, action set pieces and fun humour. Another stunning transfer that is well worth the purchase. 10/10

Now on to the troubled Crystal Skull! If you are expecting me to slate this to pieces then I am sorry to dissapoint. The 4th entry is certainly not on par with the previous three and is not a classic by any means. But for all of it's faults I was mostly entertained. The film opens pretty well and has an enteraining scene in the warehouse featured at the end of Raiders ( not sure about surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge though! ), has Ford back on cracking form proving he's not too old to crack the whip and has some fun moments. Shia LaBeouf plays Indy's son and gives a likable enough performance and Karen Allen returns proving she's still got what it takes. Also there is a great supporting cast including John Hurt, Ray Winstone and Cate Blanchett. The trouble is it goes too far on being ridiculous! Scenes like the nuclear blast/fridge, swinging through the trees with monkeys, driving off a cliff into a tree and then surviving three huge waterfall plunges and of course the alien ending which seems completely out of touch for an Indiana Jones movie. It is a film of many flaws but with Spielberg at the helm it is somehow still a fun, flawed ride. 6/10
Now they need to make a 5th entry and get back to basics!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 9/1/2013 9:58:54 PM >

Post #: 14699
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/1/2013 1:23:14 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Stop right there! The RAMMSTEIN BR...

I'm dying to get hold of this, but I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff on AMAZON, not about the quality of the content, but that it's a 2 disc set and there are many sets that have only one disc, duplicated.

I live in a town that has no record stores, so I have to travel to buy the stuff I want or get it off the internet and it's such a pain in the arse if something I bought is wrong...

Anyone got any feedback on this?

(And if anyone doesn't think that music videos have any place on a WEIRD/STRANGE movies thread... have you ever seen a RAMMSTEIN video? Get thee to the Internet!)

Yeah i've seen those comments on Amazon UK too... I'm a lucky one because my set had the correct discs (1&2) in it. I've checked them and whilst some of the comments about the PQ are indeed true, I quite frankly couldn't care because I'm just so so pleased to have these videos in my collection. I wanted the Made in Germany boxset from last year specifically for this video set and I understand that it had similar disc issues too. I pre-ordered this set and got it for £18 but I see it's now gone upto about £24 and appears to be a special order. Not sure if this is because they are rectifying the disc problem or if it's a limited edition release but good luck. Tbh I would just get it ordered regardless and if you do encounter the disc problem then the distributors should send you the correct disc out in the post!

Post #: 14700
Page:   <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI