Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/12/2012 4:04:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

From zombies to... THE HOBBIT!

I saw it yesterday in 2D and 24fps and it looked just fine to me. To get the main problems out of the way first... the story felt too weak to sustain the running time, let alone a trilogy, it suffers from the same narrative problem that ROTK does at the end and mostly you do feel like you've seen it all before with a band of hobbits instead of dwarves!

HOWEVER...

The film is tonally different to the original trilogy and it plays much more like a childrens film, incorporating the songs from Tolkien's book which LOTR didn't so much as I recall and on more than one occasion I was reminded of The NeverEnding Story in its fantasy elements... I thought Radagast was brilliant and wished there was more of him! The tone does shift aound the halfway point to something more akin to The Two Towers but still the film remains more childlike than the adult tone of the original trilogy. Oh and despite the issue with that ending, I think the final scenes are worth the admission price alone. I thought it looked beautiful. Ignore the critics and go and see it, I think once you get past the fact it's a different story set in the same universe, you'll have a great time.

Overall: 4/5

Sounds good to me, I've promised the young daughter i'd take her tomorrow to see it in 2D of course, and going by your bup beat review, it sounds just the ticket for a youngster to see.

I might go to my local cinema next Friday to watch it seeing as Gandalf himself will be there for a Q & A session!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14641
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/12/2012 9:41:07 PM   
Dr Lenera

An era of prosperity for the Dwarves who live inside the Lonely Mountain is cut short when a dragon named Smaug appears and drives King Thror and his people out of the land of Erebor, becoming the sole owner of all the treasure the Dwarves had mined including the extremely valuable Arkenstone. Sometime later, in the peaceful land of Hobbiton, a young Hobbit called Bilbo Baggins is tricked by the wizard Gandalf the Grey into hosting a party for twelve Dwarves. They intend to reclaim their kingdom from Smaug, and when Gandalf unveils a map showing a secret door in the side of the Lonely Mountain, it becomes apparent that they want Bilbo to serve as a expeditionís Ďburglarí. After much resistance, Bilbo joins them and the adventure is on, an adventure which takes Bilbo out of Hobbiton for the first time in his lifeÖÖ

I am a huge fan of Peter Jacksonís The Lord Of The Rings films; I think they are both excellent adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkienís tale and fantastic fantasy epics in their own right, simply amazing film experiences which I always look forward to viewing again. Iím not going to take up any more of this review singing their praises; I did that in the Feature that you can access here http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/12/doc-goes-back-to-middle-earth-a-personal-look-back-at-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy/ , so check it out if you think I have it Ďiní for Jackson and The Hobbit. This review is not going to be a pleasant one to write though, because The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey just isnít that good. Itís by no means a bad movie; there have been dozens of far worse films in what has been a pretty weak year for cinema, and it isnít an ordeal to sit through like, for instance, the equally hyped Prometheus. Thereís no getting away from it though; the film is a major letdown, a film that is partly misconceived, partly pointless and very awkward. Itís also majorly lacking in great moments which were a constant in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Tolkien of course wrote The Hobbit before The Lord Of The Rings. My personal introduction to Middle-Earth, itís a truly charming page-turner, specifically aimed at kids but something that I think can be enjoyed by almost anyone. There has been much fuss made about the fact that Jackson and his co-writers have elected to expand this book into three films, and as far as Iím concerned, the fuss is totally justified. The Lord Of The Rings is three films. The Hobbit is one. My heart sank on the day I first heard that they were going to make three films of The Hobbit, and my fears have proved to be totally founded. It seems that Jackson, a guy Iíve always liked, whose films Iíve always enjoyed even from the days of Bad Taste, and whose last two efforts King Kong and The Lovely Bones I constantly defended from criticism, has finally capitulated to the lures of self-indulgence and money, even if he seems to be so constantly busy that I doubt he has much time to spend much of his cash. Heís turned a lively, funny romp into a bloated, forced, would-be epic. I wouldnít have thought many fans of the book will want to see its first third played out at half speed, with many sequences elongated beyond reason and most of its charm eradicated, but nor would I have thought fans of The Lord Of The Rings film trilogy would want to see the same all over again but smaller-scale, a kind of pale shadow of its fore bearer.

The opening is unnecessarily convoluted. Bilbo narrates the set-up to the quest that will take place, with Smaug attacking the Dwarves. Obviously it was done like this because The Fellowship Of The Ring began with a lengthy preamble, but doing the opening of The Hobbit the same way only serves to emphasise how small-scale it is by comparison. Anyway, after this we cut to what could have been a deleted scene from the early part of The Fellowship Of The Ring, involving the elderly Bilbo and Frodo. Then, we shift to Bilbo on his own and go back into the Smaug story as he thinks about it. After such a clumsy beginning you would think the film can only get better but it takes a while to do that with a pretty dull first quarter. The beautifully done build-up of The Fellowship Of The Ring was justified in its length because things were still constantly happening, but itís not really the case here when all we have is a load of Dwarves being totally irritating even though we are undoubtedly supposed to find them lovable and charming.

When the adventure eventually begins the film does certainly pick up, and while it botches some of Tolkienís best scenes like the encounter with some Trolls, the incidents keep on coming and the final hour is certainly full of action. Bilboís famous encounter with Gollum is superbly done. Gollum looks even better than before, the tension is terrific and it certainly justifies the amount of time spent on it. I wouldnít say the filmís tone is that much lighter than The Lord Of The Rings though, though I might be saying that because much of the supposed humour just isnít very funny. The sweeping shots of New Zealand are as breathtaking as ever and the somewhat brighter look of this film is appropriate because this is supposedly a more innocent, innocuous story [or would be if filmed right]. The detail is often very clever; notice, for instance, the contrast between the Rivendell of this film and the more autumnal Rivendell of the earlier films, though Jacksonís habit for making supposedly dark interiors overly bright reaches absurd depths here. The special effects vary wildly in quality, including some CG rabbits which are astoundingly bad and which I couldnít believe were actually considered okay.

There is still a lot to enjoy and appreciate though, and some children may find it easier to process than The Lord Of The Rings. Unfortunately, the whole film suffers from what seems to be Jacksonís excuse for making three films of this book; his inclusion of back story virtually divorced from the main tale which he took from Tolkienís appendices. This stuff is basically material that leads into The Lord Of The Rings, but it both jars with the main story both tonally and narratively and is actually pretty pointless. The naturist Wizard Radagast, played by the worst Dr Who as hammy as can be, may be an interesting character, albeit one who tried my patience after about a minute, but the rest is pretty boring, because we all know what is basically happening and the nudge-nudge wink-wink references to things to come [ďO look , thereís Galadriel. O look, isnít that.....Ē?] are irritating. They made a serious mistake in doing The Hobbit this way. What with the more artificial look to many scenes caused by the resorting to increased CGI this time round, I couldnít help thinking certain comparisons made to The Phantom Menace were not entirely unjustified.

Martin Freeman is wonderful as Bilbo, the ultimate reluctant adventurer who leaves the peace and quiet of his life into a dangerous world he would never have even dreamed of. Sadly only three of the Dwarves are given much to say and do and after a while itís hard to tell some of them apart. Snow White would have been ashamed. Howard Shoreís music score gives mostly appropriate backing but has only one good new theme and most of the scoreís best bits reuse motifs and themes from his earlier trips to Middle-Earth. It contains one bizarrely misjudged musical passage when we hear his The Lord Of The Rings Nazgul theme as Thorin strides towards an opponent. Some songs from the book do make a welcome appearance. Now I didnít see this at 48 fps because quite simply the film wasnít showing in that format near me. In a few days time this websiteís very own David Gillespie will be offering his own views on the movie and what the 48 fps is like. I did though see the 24 fps in 3D; it was a mistake as I try to avoid The Big Con as much as possible. My verdict: what was the point? Jackson mostly goes for unobtrusiveness in the 3D, which never makes much sense to me as this devious money-making ploy is purely a gimmick that is nowhere near perfected yet, and therefore is only really justifiable as a gimmick. Considering some of his early work, you would have thought Jackson would have had some fun with the format.

This review has been more negative than positive, and yet The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by no means all bad and is still a reasonably enjoyable way to escape from this world for 169 mins. That should explain why I have still given it an above-average rating. Unfortunately, it follows what I seriously believe is the greatest film trilogy of all time and is such a major drop in quality that I cannot help but say that Jackson has partially, if not entirely, blown it. I would like him to see sense and finish The Hobbit off in one film rather than two, but thatís not going to happen now, is it? My overall feeling about this movie can be summed up thus: when The Fellowship Of The Ring ended I wanted to see the second film there and then and the excitement became unbearable as the release date grew nearer and nearer, but as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey finished: well, Iím not going to go as far to say I couldnít care less, but Iím certainly not thrilled that itís going to continue in a yearís time, and I very much doubt Iíll be counting the days. Oh dear.

Rating: 6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14642
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/12/2012 3:29:12 AM   
Mister Coe

I'm not being funny, but isn't this a thread for the wierd / strange movies that the usual cinema goers would not be watching?

Again, I'm not being a prick, but shouldn't there be a thread for this film (which I'm dying to watch and have already booked tickets to see it in IMAX) in other forums?

Say what now?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14643
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/12/2012 6:04:54 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I'm not being funny, but isn't this a thread for the wierd / strange movies that the usual cinema goers would not be watching?

Again, I'm not being a prick, but shouldn't there be a thread for this film (which I'm dying to watch and have already booked tickets to see it in IMAX) in other forums?

There is a thread in the favourite films section which has been opened recently. I have to disagree though, The Hobbit is a fantasy film with 'weird' and wonderful characters such as Gollum and the definitely strange creatures such as the goblins and trolls. So i'd argue its quite appropriate to post views of the film here.

Anyway, this thread is more interesting to read than some of the other stuff in this forum.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14644
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/12/2012 8:50:36 PM   
dannyfletch

I totally agree with you on the Hobbit mate, just been to see it and loved it
The majority of reviews are positive for this and I am certainly eagerly anticipating the second part now.
Loved the whole set up, the dwarves are brilliant and Martin Freeman is splendid as Bilbo. A 9/10 would be my verdict

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14645
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 15/12/2012 10:33:13 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

I absolutely LOVE Rocky Horror Picture Show If i was a man i would always be dressed as Doctor Frank 'n' Furter <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 My favourite part in the movie is when Frank'n'Furter sings "Im just a sweet transvestite".. mmmm yeeah!!

I also Loved the whole Twin Peaks universe, and the movie: Fire Walk with me <3<3<3<3 i remember watching them for the first time and thinking: This is Weird, and BAM! i was hooked :D I think i've seen it at least 7 times now, and still there's no doubt: It's the best Tv- series of all time!

Then of Course Terry Gilliam decerves a place amongst the weird films too :) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a great trip :D . And then there's Tideland.. also worth spending time on. And of course Brazil with an amazing twist in the end.. so great!!

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 14646
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/12/2012 1:34:18 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

There is a thread in the favourite films section which has been opened recently. I have to disagree though, The Hobbit is a fantasy film with 'weird' and wonderful characters such as Gollum and the definitely strange creatures such as the goblins and trolls. So i'd argue its quite appropriate to post views of the film here.

Anyway, this thread is more interesting to read than some of the other stuff in this forum.

OK, that's cool, don't wanna make an issue of it. I'm gonna see my favourite band in Nottingham on Saturday 22nd, gonna check out THE HOBBIT on the Sunday morning afterwards, can't wait to check it
out.

Say what now?

Post #: 14647
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/12/2012 8:56:17 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

OK, that's cool, don't wanna make an issue of it. I'm gonna see my favourite band in Nottingham on Saturday 22nd, gonna check out THE HOBBIT on the Sunday morning afterwards, can't wait to check it
out.

Same here, i'm very much looking forward to watching it aswell. I've bloody missed middle-earth!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14648
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/12/2012 4:17:16 PM   
dannyfletch

Well I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The more I reflect on the film the more I realise how much I enjoyed it. I know that not everyone will agree but I love the way Jackson has given it more of an epic feel than what the book has. Plus Richard Armitage is superb as Thorin, he equals Viggo Mortenson's heroic turn as Aragorn making for another splendid main warrior/hero.

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 16/12/2012 9:14:13 PM >

Post #: 14649
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/12/2012 10:07:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

This review has been more negative than positive, and yet The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by no means all bad and is still a reasonably enjoyable way to escape from this world for 169 mins. That should explain why I have still given it an above-average rating. Unfortunately, it follows what I seriously believe is the greatest film trilogy of all time and is such a major drop in quality that I cannot help but say that Jackson has partially, if not entirely, blown it. I would like him to see sense and finish The Hobbit off in one film rather than two, but that's not going to happen now, is it? My overall feeling about this movie can be summed up thus: when The Fellowship Of The Ring ended I wanted to see the second film there and then and the excitement became unbearable as the release date grew nearer and nearer, but as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey finished: well, I'm not going to go as far to say I couldn't care less, but I'm certainly not thrilled that it's going to continue in a year's time, and I very much doubt I'll be counting the days. Oh dear.

Oh my this is going to split the troops and i agree with most if not all you say, in one very good yet biting review.

Like yourself i'm a huge Lord Of The Rings fan, in fact as soon as I heard Jackson was the main man, i knew one of my favourite books was in safe hands. But when i heard The Hobbit was to be a trilogy, i knew this was a mistake, but i hopped it would somehow not feel stretched out. Anyway Sunday afternoon i took my young Daughter of 8 to see said film, and as feared it's overlong, it feels stretched out, worse some of the CGI looked like CGI, the Orcs are a good example, am i watching a computer game was the thought that came to mind. My youngster became very restless half way, as did i as it seem to be grinding to a halt, luckily it came to a pretty spectacular ending for part one, just took to long to get to the action scenes, which is what most youngsters want. Compared to Fellowship Of The Ring this film falls short big time, where Fellowship kept you glued to every scene, and every word, this just dragged along. It's been a long time since i read the book, but i'm sure they have added more dialogue, and you don't have to copy the book to the letter, you proved that Mr Jackson with Lord Of The Rings, and as much as The Hobbit is your favourite book Mr Jackson, you have the skills to know your stretching this one to breaking point.

Now don't get me wrong i did enjoy the film to a certain point, as it looks awesome in many scenes, and when the action kicks in you know this is an epic in the making. Middle-Earth, looks a lot more like a happy place to be before the Dark days of Lord of the Rings kicks the peace and fun to hell. It a far more upbeat charming film with great use made of New Zealand's lush landscapes, and this is when the film is at it's best, with the Actors looking more comfortable during these scenes, IE when they are surrounded with real scenery and real props. Bilbo's  encounter with Gollum is superbly done, with some of the funniest scenes in the film, all the actors carry themselves well, and yes it's well directed, visually very impressive as you'd expect, my biggest worry is where it's headed. You know like the Star Wars prequels 1 to 3, remember, overlong, overstretched to much CGI , yet still well made, visually stunning well produced, but in the end kind of just too commercial rip offs of there own world. Yes i went and saw all three at the cinema and bought them on Blu-Ray, and yes i'll go see part 2 and 3 of The Hobbit, and they'll end up in my Blu-Ray collection, for the reason that my love for this style of film overrules my dislike for it being to bloody long to sit though without the odd yawn. Yes it's a slow start with scenes that where never in the book butl it really looks awesome and that last hour or two is pure cinema magic, just a shame the first  hour was a bit of a yawn, i hope this is not going to be as good as it gets, and maybe the next two get that more compact full of more energy that the Ring films had, and this film needs, and Jackson can do it, and for that reason i'll go for 7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 17/12/2012 10:19:40 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14650
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/12/2012 11:10:43 AM   
Dr Lenera

Cheers Bill, and I had a feeling we would have similar [if not quite the same] views on The Hobbit. I wanted so much to love it.......

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14651
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/12/2012 11:42:39 AM   
losthighway

quote:

Cheers Bill, and I had a feeling we would have similar [if not quite the same] views on The Hobbit. I wanted so much to love it.......

I agreed with some of your views but I guess I'm just easier to please and was a little less harsh than you guys...

And as for The Hobbit being discussed on this thread, since when was something like Gollum and Orcs and even Hobbits not weird/strange!?!? I think this thread gets very mixed discussions and is quite horror based a lot of the time but there have been times back in the days when HR was still around that I used to recommend the odd queer cinema treat... they're not so much weird/strange films, just badly made ones in the main!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14652
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2012 8:37:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

I absolutely LOVE Rocky Horror Picture Show If i was a man i would always be dressed as Doctor Frank 'n' Furter <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 My favourite part in the movie is when Frank'n'Furter sings "Im just a sweet transvestite".. mmmm yeeah!!

I also Loved the whole Twin Peaks universe, and the movie: Fire Walk with me <3<3<3<3 i remember watching them for the first time and thinking: This is Weird, and BAM! i was hooked :D I think i've seen it at least 7 times now, and still there's no doubt: It's the best Tv- series of all time!

Then of Course Terry Gilliam decerves a place amongst the weird films too :) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a great trip :D . And then there's Tideland.. also worth spending time on. And of course Brazil with an amazing twist in the end.. so great!!

WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!! nice choice of films, and glad to see some love for TIDELAND a very underrated Gilliam film, which needs a bit more love.
Here's an old mate of mines Spaldron review;
Tideland(2005)

"Daddy's gonna stroll down that far subterranean shore, all littered with the flotsam of hopes and dreams. Relics of ancient times. Lonely cenotaphs. Standing along that melancholy tideland."

Terry Gilliam, I must be honest is a film-making God (or Messiah,) in my book so I'm a wee bit biased when it comes to his movies. I avoided this on its release back in 2005 due to the mainly hostile reaction from snobby critics who I now realise couldn't deal with the fact that here was one of cinema's true mavericks, a guy who gave two fingers to Hollywood and has been scorned by the system ever since giving us one of his best and most original works in years. This film definitely divides opinion and in a good way. For one thing it's very dark, mysterious, poetic, challenging and its blacker than black humour will put off some people.

I find all the negativity at odds with the film itself as its gorgeous to look at (thank cinematographer, Nicola Pecorini), wonderfully melancholy and hauntingly beautiful.

Young Jeliza- Rose is taken off to a remote dilapidated farmhouse after her junkie father (his Dudeness himself Jeff Bridges) accidentally kills her mother during a drug crazed binge. On their first night he dies from a heroin overdose and Jeliza-Rose starts to frequently retreat in to her imagination to compensate for the loneliness of the real world. She plays and talks to dolls heads who all have different personalities and give her differing advice. Throughout the film she doesn't seem to acknowledge her fathers death, leaving him rotting on the living-room chair, chatting to him and dressing him up.

She eventually comes in to contact with some neighbours, a scary old woman Dell, who is blind in one eye due to a bee sting, and her younger mentally disabled brother Dickens. They take Jeliza on board and even preserve her fathers body via taxidermy! It turns out Dickens has some history with getting in to trouble and is obsessed with killing what he thinks is a 'Monster-Shark' which is actually a passenger train that passes the farm frequently. We are left by the director to figure out if all these crazy goings on are real or as a result of Jeliza's mental state.

The film has many memorable moments, such as talking squirrels, a magnificent underwater dream sequence and a a very risquť scene that develops a strangely romantic connection between Jeliza and Dickens, which apparently put many stuffy critics off the film. All I can say is trust the director and nothing bad will happen!

I wont give away the ending as it'll spoil it but I will say don't expect a conventional one. This is Terry Gilliam after all! What I will say is the film is IMO one of Gilliam's best work, it's certainly one of the darkest films he's ever made and possibly the most risky as well. It actually has a lot of comparison with Pans Labyrinth (it was actually released a year before), with themes of innocence lost, childhood imagination, loneliness and although it doesn't come close to Guillermo Del Toro's mighty masterpiece it is too damn clever and original too be forgotten or dismissed as one of Gilliam's lesser works. I actually enjoyed this more than the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus and that film got a heap more praise. So if you fancy a night of dark, strange weirdness then give this film a try and hopefully you'll enjoy this as much as I did.

8/10

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 14653
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/12/2012 8:50:45 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Well I gave I gave it an extra point, just because it did look wonderful just too long, and LH gave it a point above my score because he's going soft, missing his old mate. 
quote:

I agreed with some of your views but I guess I'm just easier to please and was a little less harsh than you guys...

And as for The Hobbit being discussed on this thread, since when was something like Gollum and Orcs and even Hobbits not weird/strange!?!? I think this thread gets very mixed discussions and is quite horror based a lot of the time but there have been times back in the days when HR was still around that I used to recommend the odd queer cinema treat... they're not so much weird/strange films, just badly made ones in the main!

That something no one on here can match your pick of oddball queer cinema, and as for the discussions, well we all know what makes a Weird/Strange film, just some are more extreme or out of your head mind f**ks than others.But look how big this thread has become with it heading for 500,000 hits, and yet still a small tight fan base, plus we do get to air films that are a bit more than just extreme, so luckily the mods give us the benefit of the doubt. But then we do give the odd blockbuster an airing too which seems to cause some to believe we've all gone soft, but then as you pointed out horror of the extreme kind pops it's sick ugly head up.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14654
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/12/2012 9:17:53 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

An era of prosperity for the Dwarves who live inside the Lonely Mountain is cut short when a dragon named Smaug appears and drives King Thror and his people out of the land of Erebor, becoming the sole owner of all the treasure the Dwarves had mined including the extremely valuable Arkenstone. Sometime later, in the peaceful land of Hobbiton, a young Hobbit called Bilbo Baggins is tricked by the wizard Gandalf the Grey into hosting a party for twelve Dwarves. They intend to reclaim their kingdom from Smaug, and when Gandalf unveils a map showing a secret door in the side of the Lonely Mountain, it becomes apparent that they want Bilbo to serve as a expeditionís Ďburglarí. After much resistance, Bilbo joins them and the adventure is on, an adventure which takes Bilbo out of Hobbiton for the first time in his lifeÖÖ

I am a huge fan of Peter Jacksonís The Lord Of The Rings films; I think they are both excellent adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkienís tale and fantastic fantasy epics in their own right, simply amazing film experiences which I always look forward to viewing again. Iím not going to take up any more of this review singing their praises; I did that in the Feature that you can access here http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/12/doc-goes-back-to-middle-earth-a-personal-look-back-at-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy/ , so check it out if you think I have it Ďiní for Jackson and The Hobbit. This review is not going to be a pleasant one to write though, because The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey just isnít that good. Itís by no means a bad movie; there have been dozens of far worse films in what has been a pretty weak year for cinema, and it isnít an ordeal to sit through like, for instance, the equally hyped Prometheus. Thereís no getting away from it though; the film is a major letdown, a film that is partly misconceived, partly pointless and very awkward. Itís also majorly lacking in great moments which were a constant in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Tolkien of course wrote The Hobbit before The Lord Of The Rings. My personal introduction to Middle-Earth, itís a truly charming page-turner, specifically aimed at kids but something that I think can be enjoyed by almost anyone. There has been much fuss made about the fact that Jackson and his co-writers have elected to expand this book into three films, and as far as Iím concerned, the fuss is totally justified. The Lord Of The Rings is three films. The Hobbit is one. My heart sank on the day I first heard that they were going to make three films of The Hobbit, and my fears have proved to be totally founded. It seems that Jackson, a guy Iíve always liked, whose films Iíve always enjoyed even from the days of Bad Taste, and whose last two efforts King Kong and The Lovely Bones I constantly defended from criticism, has finally capitulated to the lures of self-indulgence and money, even if he seems to be so constantly busy that I doubt he has much time to spend much of his cash. Heís turned a lively, funny romp into a bloated, forced, would-be epic. I wouldnít have thought many fans of the book will want to see its first third played out at half speed, with many sequences elongated beyond reason and most of its charm eradicated, but nor would I have thought fans of The Lord Of The Rings film trilogy would want to see the same all over again but smaller-scale, a kind of pale shadow of its fore bearer.

The opening is unnecessarily convoluted. Bilbo narrates the set-up to the quest that will take place, with Smaug attacking the Dwarves. Obviously it was done like this because The Fellowship Of The Ring began with a lengthy preamble, but doing the opening of The Hobbit the same way only serves to emphasise how small-scale it is by comparison. Anyway, after this we cut to what could have been a deleted scene from the early part of The Fellowship Of The Ring, involving the elderly Bilbo and Frodo. Then, we shift to Bilbo on his own and go back into the Smaug story as he thinks about it. After such a clumsy beginning you would think the film can only get better but it takes a while to do that with a pretty dull first quarter. The beautifully done build-up of The Fellowship Of The Ring was justified in its length because things were still constantly happening, but itís not really the case here when all we have is a load of Dwarves being totally irritating even though we are undoubtedly supposed to find them lovable and charming.

When the adventure eventually begins the film does certainly pick up, and while it botches some of Tolkienís best scenes like the encounter with some Trolls, the incidents keep on coming and the final hour is certainly full of action. Bilboís famous encounter with Gollum is superbly done. Gollum looks even better than before, the tension is terrific and it certainly justifies the amount of time spent on it. I wouldnít say the filmís tone is that much lighter than The Lord Of The Rings though, though I might be saying that because much of the supposed humour just isnít very funny. The sweeping shots of New Zealand are as breathtaking as ever and the somewhat brighter look of this film is appropriate because this is supposedly a more innocent, innocuous story [or would be if filmed right]. The detail is often very clever; notice, for instance, the contrast between the Rivendell of this film and the more autumnal Rivendell of the earlier films, though Jacksonís habit for making supposedly dark interiors overly bright reaches absurd depths here. The special effects vary wildly in quality, including some CG rabbits which are astoundingly bad and which I couldnít believe were actually considered okay.

There is still a lot to enjoy and appreciate though, and some children may find it easier to process than The Lord Of The Rings. Unfortunately, the whole film suffers from what seems to be Jacksonís excuse for making three films of this book; his inclusion of back story virtually divorced from the main tale which he took from Tolkienís appendices. This stuff is basically material that leads into The Lord Of The Rings, but it both jars with the main story both tonally and narratively and is actually pretty pointless. The naturist Wizard Radagast, played by the worst Dr Who as hammy as can be, may be an interesting character, albeit one who tried my patience after about a minute, but the rest is pretty boring, because we all know what is basically happening and the nudge-nudge wink-wink references to things to come [ďO look , thereís Galadriel. O look, isnít that.....Ē?] are irritating. They made a serious mistake in doing The Hobbit this way. What with the more artificial look to many scenes caused by the resorting to increased CGI this time round, I couldnít help thinking certain comparisons made to The Phantom Menace were not entirely unjustified.

Martin Freeman is wonderful as Bilbo, the ultimate reluctant adventurer who leaves the peace and quiet of his life into a dangerous world he would never have even dreamed of. Sadly only three of the Dwarves are given much to say and do and after a while itís hard to tell some of them apart. Snow White would have been ashamed. Howard Shoreís music score gives mostly appropriate backing but has only one good new theme and most of the scoreís best bits reuse motifs and themes from his earlier trips to Middle-Earth. It contains one bizarrely misjudged musical passage when we hear his The Lord Of The Rings Nazgul theme as Thorin strides towards an opponent. Some songs from the book do make a welcome appearance. Now I didnít see this at 48 fps because quite simply the film wasnít showing in that format near me. In a few days time this websiteís very own David Gillespie will be offering his own views on the movie and what the 48 fps is like. I did though see the 24 fps in 3D; it was a mistake as I try to avoid The Big Con as much as possible. My verdict: what was the point? Jackson mostly goes for unobtrusiveness in the 3D, which never makes much sense to me as this devious money-making ploy is purely a gimmick that is nowhere near perfected yet, and therefore is only really justifiable as a gimmick. Considering some of his early work, you would have thought Jackson would have had some fun with the format.

This review has been more negative than positive, and yet The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by no means all bad and is still a reasonably enjoyable way to escape from this world for 169 mins. That should explain why I have still given it an above-average rating. Unfortunately, it follows what I seriously believe is the greatest film trilogy of all time and is such a major drop in quality that I cannot help but say that Jackson has partially, if not entirely, blown it. I would like him to see sense and finish The Hobbit off in one film rather than two, but thatís not going to happen now, is it? My overall feeling about this movie can be summed up thus: when The Fellowship Of The Ring ended I wanted to see the second film there and then and the excitement became unbearable as the release date grew nearer and nearer, but as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey finished: well, Iím not going to go as far to say I couldnít care less, but Iím certainly not thrilled that itís going to continue in a yearís time, and I very much doubt Iíll be counting the days. Oh dear.

Seen it on Monday night. Thought it was incredible, glad to see Peter Jackson at the helm again. Beautifully shot, great music, excellent performances, and an overall strong story. Nice that the other stories of Middle Earth is being tied in. Didn't notice the 48 FPS at all surprisingly, I must have been the only one.

Looking forward to Part 2 in December 2013. Hope this gets a few Oscar wins in February.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 20/12/2012 8:04:56 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14655
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/12/2012 7:18:53 PM   
Dr Lenera

Prior to Christmas break, a young woman, known only as The Girl, decides to use the campus ďRide ShareĒ program as an alternative to riding the bus back home to Delaware. Finding a posting on a bulletin board, she catches a ride home from a stranger, known only as The Guy, the day before Christmas Eve. It soon transpires that he knows rather more about her than he initially let on and she becomes increasingly worried as the journey proceeds. Then, when they find themselves on a frozen road that the Guy is convinced is a scenic short-cut, they are suddenly run off the road by a hit and runnerÖÖ

If youíre a regular reader of this website youíll probably know that I am a huge fan of Emily Blunt; sheís both drop-dead gorgeous and a fine actress who blows the likes of Keira Knightley out of the water. Just think how much better than Scarlet Johansson she would have been as Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and maybe The Avengers, a role she almost took but was contracted to make the god-awful Gulliverís Travels instead. She seems to appear in quite a wide variety of films though hasnít quite made it to superstardom, which in any case may not be the best thing for her. Wind Chill [which I canít believe has taken me up to now to see] was her first film role after her break-out performance in The Devil Wears Prada and to be honest, how much you enjoy it will probably depend on how little you know. Therefore this review will sound a little vague, but I hope you understand why. In any case, itís a fairly intriguing, if in the end somewhat unsatisfying, combination oF survival drama and horror movie, with the two elements not entirely mixing well.

The film pulls an effective red herring in the early scenes when the Girl and the Guy meet each other. He is a little mysterious and after a while reveals that he deviously engineered their lift-share because he had a major crush on her and wanted to spend time with her. Sounds reasonable I suppose considering itís Emily. The first third of Wind Chill consists mainly of car-bound conversations between the two and actually itís rather interesting, because the barbed talk is well written and thereís an underlying tension. Blunt has a great knack for revealing characterisation with subtle gestures and actually Ashton Holmes is also very good the way he seems to make the viewer like his character one moment and dislike him the second. Thereís one of those creepy gas stations with an oddball behind the counter that only seem to exist in horror movies and a really eerie scene where she seems to be locked in the bathroom for no reason. This is not actually explained at all, but nobody seems to complain in Vertigo when James Stewart sees Kim Novak go into that hotel and is then told by the receptionist that she hasnít been there at all, so I suppose it doesnít matter much.

After the two break down in the snow drift, there is a really vivid sense of being alone in the middle of nowhere and it seems that this is going to be like Frozen, but then a sinister cop shows up and spooky looking men start lurking about. The film definitely becomes a horror film of the supernatural kind, though it isnít really scary. The basic idea is a sound one, a kind of urban legend you can imagine hearing in certain diners and bars [ďyou know all those people that were found frozen in that car down Route 606....?Ē], but there are bits of really bad storytelling such as the Girl learning some of what is going on through Ďrelivingí flashbacks that she wasnít present at, and there are some random happenings that donít makes sense, like a guy with an eel coming out of his mouth. Of course not all films of this nature need to make sense, but bits of this one seem to have been made up on the spot and itís neither exciting nor frightening enough to atone for its incoherence. Itís a little tense in places, but too lackadaisical overall, though it was nice to see a horror film heroine who didnít turn into Superwoman, and I did spend a few moments after the film had finished trying to work a few things out and saying to myself: ďA ha!Ē, so it must have worked for me on some level.

The winter photography by Dan Lausten is quite evocative the way the snow seems to glisten in the dark and composer Clint Mansell, as usual, gets a great deal of mileage from very little, but technically the film is uneven; I could easily tell what scenes were shot on a soundstage and what scenes werenít due to their breath. I wanted to really like Wind Chill; it has a chilling [sorry] premise, two good leading performances and does its best to be subtle and not rely on things like gore and cheap scares, but it doesnít really work for the most part. Some minor reshoots and re-editing may have considerably helped it. Saying that, any film where you will probably end up debating what happened with the person you saw it with is worth a look in my book. And if youíre like me and consider Christmas songs things of evil, youíll certainly relate to their uncanny use here.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14656
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/12/2012 7:24:07 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

This review has been more negative than positive, and yet The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by no means all bad and is still a reasonably enjoyable way to escape from this world for 169 mins. That should explain why I have still given it an above-average rating. Unfortunately, it follows what I seriously believe is the greatest film trilogy of all time and is such a major drop in quality that I cannot help but say that Jackson has partially, if not entirely, blown it. I would like him to see sense and finish The Hobbit off in one film rather than two, but that's not going to happen now, is it? My overall feeling about this movie can be summed up thus: when The Fellowship Of The Ring ended I wanted to see the second film there and then and the excitement became unbearable as the release date grew nearer and nearer, but as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey finished: well, I'm not going to go as far to say I couldn't care less, but I'm certainly not thrilled that it's going to continue in a year's time, and I very much doubt I'll be counting the days. Oh dear.

Seen it on Monday night. Thought it was incredible, glad to see Peter Jackson at the helm again. Beautifully shot, great music, excellent performances, and an overall strong story. Nice that the other stories of Middle Earth is being tied in. Didn't notice the 48 FPS at all surprisingly, I must have bee the only one.

Looking forward to Part 2 in December 2013. Hope this gets a few Oscar wins in February.

There we go I thought this would split the camp, but not by much, and in the end i'll be watching the next no problem, but LORD OF THE RINGS still looks and feels the better films.

On another note i'd just like to say it's been nice knowing you lot, for as you know 21ST Dec 2012, THE END IS IN SIGHT, or is it just the end for us lot and not the Super Rich.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14657
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/12/2012 7:32:07 PM   
Dr Lenera

IN SELECTED CINEMAS: 14th December

OUT ON DVD, BLU RAY, DOWNLOAD AND ON-DEMAND: 24th December

Night-time, and panic is everywhere. The military are rushing around and a woman flees from a house and looks up at something. Several weeks before, four friends; couple Robin and Dana, Michael, and Vincent are partying in a nightclub. A fight breaks out but Michael still manages to pick up Carrie while Robin proposes to Dana. The following morning, it seems like all power has been cut across the country while a strange man warns of the apocalypse. The next night, they are awoken by an earthquake, all clocks have stopped and a huge spaceship the size of a city appears out of the skyÖ..

The writer/director of U.F.O. describes his movie as ďIndependence Day meets Monsters, told from the point of view of SignsĒ, which sounds like two thirds of an enticing prospect, and actually U.F.O. certainly isnít the bore-fest that was Gareth Edwardsís film. I found it a strange film to watch, partly because throughout it mixes good ideas and creative decisions with bad ones. Alien invasion pictures have become very frequent of late, and not many of them have actually turned out to be much good. I wondered for a while if the only way you could make a decent alien invasion film is, unless you go down the route many movies did in the 1950ís and have the invaders take on human form, to have a huge Avengers-style budget. U.F.O. though really does make the most of not having much money, and even if thereís a lot in this British film that doesnít work, it grips for the most part and is certainly more bearable than films like The Darkest Hour and Battlefield Earth: Los Angeles.

It opens with almost psychedelic images of flashlights filling a black screen, until we realise they belong to soldiers engaged in some conflict. We see a woman flee from a house and the camera assume the vantage point of something looking down upon her. Weird dots encircle her, then we cut to a spinning record of a DJ in a nightclub. Itís an arresting opening that really gets the film off to a strong start, though itís none too clear that what follows is a flashback. In fact, throughout the film we see brief flash-forwards and flashbacks, and it gets a little annoying and pointless. We are even given brief shots of Jean-Claude Van Damme, who doesnít come properly into the film until two thirds of the way through, and itís not clear who he nor what his role is in these tiny scenes except to show the filmís biggest Ďnameí as much as possible. When Van Damme, who has had something of a career resurgence of late, does come into the film properly, itís still, after all these years, hard to understand what he is saying, but he does, surprisingly, get a fight scene, and itís always good to see a major star supporting an indie project, isnít it?

The main focus is on our five young protagonists, and we are introduced to them in a nightclub. Robin gets his girlfriend Dana on top of a car and gives the impression he wants to have sex with her but actually proposes. Michael chats up Carrie with some of the sleaziest, corniest lines possible, but still manages toí pullí her, something which I found hard to believe considering how stunning actress Bianca Bree [Van Damme's daughter] is, but then the guy is played by Pierce Brosnanís son and actually has some of his charm, and certainly sounds like him, so some female viewers may disagree. The fifth main character, Vincent, gets into a fight which gets them all thrown out. The fight is filmed with the dreaded ĎShakycamí style which I can only excuse in Found Footage films, otherwise I think itís an abomination. Worse is to come though, when a sex scene is filmed in this way. Yes, Shakycam Sex is here, and by God I just felt like hanging myself there and then, though it was only a matter of time I suppose. Still, the film is pretty poor at the moment, not helped by some seriously bad dialogue such as:

Carrie: you had me at beautiful

Michael:but lost you at wank bank?

Ye Gods, things have got to get better, and actually they do. The slow build-up to the arrival of the aliens is rather suspenseful, even with Sean Pertwee briefly turning up to spout words of doom, and when the huge alien ship appears to hover above the city ominously, the emphasis is on the effect on the humans below and our five friends trying to survive, though interestingly they arenít the most moral of protagonists, sneaking into a supermarket to stock up while queues are getting ever more restless outside. There are arguments, fights and it seems something of a message about humankindís propensity for nastiness. It seems quite possible that the human race could quite conceivably tear itself apart without the aliens doing any attacking. In some ways itís a shame that the aliens do eventually play a more prominent role in the final third, which sadly throws in cliches by the bucket load from Area 51 to alien spies in human form. Still, the climactic stuff, which still keeps the human danger in the foreground while a full-blown battle goes on in the distance, is quite intense; thereís an attempted rape which is quite unpleasant considering it is being watched by a little girl, and things may not pan out the way you expect. I detected the welcome of influence of George Romero [back when he was good] here and there.

The film holds the attention throughout, but it canít seem to decide whether to be a realistic study of what it would be like to try to survive in the circumstances in which it takes place, or a low-budget action movie. Sometimes incidents appear to be thrown in just because we havenít had any action for fifteen minutes or so. In particular, there is a lengthy fight between Michael and a policeman which goes on for ages and which I wondered was inspired by the great brawl in the middle of They Live. Unfortunately, it seems out of place in U.F.O. and is filmed in the Shakycam method, so that after several minutes of the camera shaking like the operator was having an epileptic fit I not only got sore eyes but could almost feel a headache coming. Why the hell did the director decide that this was the way to go? Why the hell should films give me sore eyes and headache? Though his previous two films [which he didnít write] How To Stop Being A Loser and Airborne didnít impress me much, I do think that Dominic Burns does have some talent. He has a good knack for pacing and sometimes handles scenes in an interesting way, such as a dialogue scene where the camera revolve around the people Brian De Palma-style. He needs to reign in some rather bad tendencies though, and while his script for this film has a decent premise and a few good ideas, I think it could have done with some polish.

Considering the budget Burns had to play with though, U.F.O. is still worthy of some praise. The brief special effects feature CGI that is no worse than some of the stuff you see in very expensive movies, and some bits such as a rather hair-raising flight from a spaceship are quite impressively done. The performances are nothing special but get the job done, and I certainly ended up caring about the characters when really bad things started to happen. Despite it having some serious problems, I did find myself enjoying U.F.O. some of the time and I very doubt youíll be bored.

Rating: 5.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 20/12/2012 7:33:47 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14658
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/12/2012 11:29:46 AM   
losthighway

LIFE OF PI

I've never read the book so knew nothing of the story/ending and I thought the trailer with Coldplay's 'Paradise' looked incredible. I went in quite excited... What I found was an oddity... A film released at Christmas that is being sold as a family film yet it is unbelieveably downbeat throughout, is definitely not a film for kids (they'll get bored tbh!) and with numerous scenes of animals in distress (albeit CGI ones). Oh and that ending which will piss all over your Xmas pud!!

I think Life of Pi is a beautiful looking film, it certainly kept my attention throughout its 2hrs plus running time but my god, it is miserable (those 'uplifting' and 'miraculous' quotes on the adverts are somewhat misleading!) and I won't lie I actually shed a tear at one point... and then as I said, that ending which is unbelieveably bleak for a PG film. My only other criticism is that it turns into a live action version of The Jungle Book at one point too!

This is a film which deserves to be experienced with very little knowledge about it. I should point out i'm an atheist so some of the religious discussion is quite amusing and like I say the visuals within the film are lush. Also, I didn't have a problem with that ending like some have, it just left me low for the rest of the day! I think this one will divide opinion...

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14659
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/12/2012 2:35:02 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The winter photography by Dan Lausten is quite evocative the way the snow seems to glisten in the dark and composer Clint Mansell, as usual, gets a great deal of mileage from very little, but technically the film is uneven; I could easily tell what scenes were shot on a soundstage and what scenes weren't due to their breath. I wanted to really like Wind Chill; it has a chilling [sorry] premise, two good leading performances and does its best to be subtle and not rely on things like gore and cheap scares, but it doesn't really work for the most part. Some minor reshoots and re-editing may have considerably helped it. Saying that, any film where you will probably end up debating what happened with the person you saw it with is worth a look in my book. And if you're like me and consider Christmas songs things of evil, you'll certainly relate to their uncanny use here.

Sounds like a good Christmas film, make a change from all those lovey dovey bullshit films, for I always prefer to watch a few chillers over the holiday period, just seems to go with turkey and wine much better.
quote:

Considering the budget Burns had to play with though, U.F.O. is still worthy of some praise. The brief special effects feature CGI that is no worse than some of the stuff you see in very expensive movies, and some bits such as a rather hair-raising flight from a spaceship are quite impressively done. The performances are nothing special but get the job done, and I certainly ended up caring about the characters when really bad things started to happen. Despite it having some serious problems, I did find myself enjoying U.F.O. some of the time and I very doubt youíll be bored.

Rating: 5.5/10

Now I thought this was based on ye old classic TV show UFO, remember that one Dr with the women in micro minis, and the effects done by the guys that did Thunderbirds.
Might add this to my list of Blu-Ray rentals for the new year.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14660
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/12/2012 2:45:30 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

LIFE OF PI

I've never read the book so knew nothing of the story/ending and I thought the trailer with Coldplay's 'Paradise' looked incredible. I went in quite excited... What I found was an oddity... A film released at Christmas that is being sold as a family film yet it is unbelieveably downbeat throughout, is definitely not a film for kids (they'll get bored tbh!) and with numerous scenes of animals in distress (albeit CGI ones). Oh and that ending which will piss all over your Xmas pud!!

I think Life of Pi is a beautiful looking film, it certainly kept my attention throughout its 2hrs plus running time but my god, it is miserable (those 'uplifting' and 'miraculous' quotes on the adverts are somewhat misleading!) and I won't lie I actually shed a tear at one point... and then as I said, that ending which is unbelieveably bleak for a PG film. My only other criticism is that it turns into a live action version of The Jungle Book at one point too!

This is a film which deserves to be experienced with very little knowledge about it. I should point out i'm an atheist so some of the religious discussion is quite amusing and like I say the visuals within the film are lush. Also, I didn't have a problem with that ending like some have, it just left me low for the rest of the day! I think this one will divide opinion...

Now I must say you've surprised me yet again, (you old soffite) I fancy this film too just looks like i'll have to wait till the new year, as Christmas is crashing in on this household. I've had to replace a mobile phone, a computer, and the fucking tumble dyer all in the space of this few weeks, and that's not counting filling Santa's fucking sack, and i'm going out tonight(pre booked) for another Christmas piss up. Anyway in case I don't get back on line for a while;
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14661
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/12/2012 1:44:04 PM   
dannyfletch

Don't get me wrong, I do love Lord of the Rings but the Hobbit has a more fun tone to it in my opinion. Also Martin Freeman's Bilbo is not as pathetic as Elijah Woods' winey Frodo and is my personal favourite Hobbit. But all in all I would say that I love them both equally, they both have their own quirks and are both very well made

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14662
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/12/2012 10:12:33 PM   
Mister Coe

Well, I watched THE HOBBIT after posting that it doesn't belong on this thread (apologies to anyone who disagreed with me) and my own personal opinion of it is....

... the same one as so many people. So much good stuff, but it was buried in so much cinematic flab. There is a great movie here that is about 120 -130 minutes long, one that would end with the speech about Bilbo being worthy to travel with the dwarves and the teaser about Smaug (is that the right spelling?) but there was no reason to drag this thing into a third hour...

And the Elijah Woods and Chrisoper Lee cameos were totally unnecessary... they may pay off in later movies, but for now, I could have done without them.

I'm now going to read the original book... I suspect I may have more to say about this...

Say what now?

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14663
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/12/2012 6:05:04 PM   
dannyfletch

That seems to be the only real complaint, the running time. I loved every minute and was left wanting more!

Just watched Life of Pi and was mostly bored throughout, a film I definitely thought dragged and felt uninvolved and emotionally detached throughout. Some pretty scenery and bright colours were about the best thing going for it. A 5/10 is my generous rating for this overrated bore fest. Ang Lee has seen better days. I will watch again when it gets released on DVD just incase I was in the wrong frame of mind. ( and of course I will keep hold of the receipt and use the old unwanted gift excuse for an exchange)

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 26/12/2012 6:11:48 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14664
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/12/2012 10:20:23 AM   
Platter

Men In Black 3 (2012)

It was an enjoyable film. It was unremarkable but it was well made (apart from some poor computer effects) and the script was competent. The biggest laugh was the Andy Warhol character. It's about on par with the quality of the first film.

7 out of 10

What I Did On My Summer Vacation AKA Get The Gringo (2012)

The setting is very odd as it's a Mexican prison that is more like a slum town from a Spaghetti Western. The story is more clever than expected, with a logical enough script. It's a well paced 80s style action thriller with a bit of proper nasty violence. The Mel Gibson character doesn't have a name, and he share a lot of background similarities with the Porter character from Payback (1999), so if you want you can consider this to be Payback 2. It was a meaty, substantial movie with lots of interesting details and ideas. There is enough meat here that proper acting from good actors has a chance to take place. A very good film, and much better than I expected. It's a throwback to 80s straight to rental action movie trash, but the main difference being that it's actually good.

I highly recommend this movie.

Trivia: Steve Jobs was offered the role played by Bob Gunton. He considered it for about a week before turning it down.

9 out of 10

< Message edited by Platter -- 28/12/2012 10:22:47 AM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

Post #: 14665
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/12/2012 7:52:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

That seems to be the only real complaint, the running time. I loved every minute and was left wanting more!

Just watched Life of Pi and was mostly bored throughout, a film I definitely thought dragged and felt uninvolved and emotionally detached throughout. Some pretty scenery and bright colours were about the best thing going for it. A 5/10 is my generous rating for this overrated bore fest. Ang Lee has seen better days. I will watch again when it gets released on DVD just incase I was in the wrong frame of mind. ( and of course I will keep hold of the receipt and use the old unwanted gift excuse for an exchange)

Well it's seems it is the biggest complaint the running time, as one of the mates a true Lord Of The Rings nut/fan, who has read all the books, and now watch all the films so far feels the same about The Hobbit. In fact he feels one 3 hour film of the book would have been fine, and that packing the first film with a load of unwanted add on scenes, is total blasphemy to the true lovers of the book, as good as it looked on film it was way off course.

Anyway I see PI has also split the ranks, with one for and one against so far, i'll not get a chance to see it till the new year all being well.  

Post #: 14666
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/12/2012 8:44:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

Men In Black 3 (2012)

It was an enjoyable film. It was unremarkable but it was well made (apart from some poor computer effects) and the script was competent. The biggest laugh was the Andy Warhol character. It's about on par with the quality of the first film.

7 out of 10

What I Did On My Summer Vacation AKA Get The Gringo (2012)

The setting is very odd as it's a Mexican prison that is more like a slum town from a Spaghetti Western. The story is more clever than expected, with a logical enough script. It's a well paced 80s style action thriller with a bit of proper nasty violence. The Mel Gibson character doesn't have a name, and he share a lot of background similarities with the Porter character from Payback (1999), so if you want you can consider this to be Payback 2. It was a meaty, substantial movie with lots of interesting details and ideas. There is enough meat here that proper acting from good actors has a chance to take place. A very good film, and much better than I expected. It's a throwback to 80s straight to rental action movie trash, but the main difference being that it's actually good.

I highly recommend this movie.

Trivia: Steve Jobs was offered the role played by Bob Gunton. He considered it for about a week before turning it down.

9 out of 10

I would not rate Men In Black 3 that high it was ok but only just, and yet I do agree about Get The Gringo, spot on in fact.
Now another of the Corman /Poe Films
THE RAVEN (1963)

Set during the 15th century, the sorcerer Dr. Erasmus Craven(Vincent Price)has been mourning the death of his wife Lenore(Hazel Court)for over two years, much to the chagrin of his daughter Estelle (Olive Sturgess). One night he is visited by a Raven who happens to be a transformed wizard Dr Beldo(Peter Lorre)Together they brew a potion that restores Bedlo to his old self. Bedlo explains he had been transformed by the evil Dr Sturgess(Boris Karlof) in an unfair duel, and both decide to see Scarabus, Bedlo to exact revenge and Craven to look for his wife's ghost, which Bedlo reportedly saw at Scarabus' castle. After fighting off the attack of Craven's coachman, who apparently acted under the influence of Scarabus, they set out to the castle, joined by Craven's daughter Estelle and Bedlo's son Rexford(Jack Nicolson)At the castle, Scarabus greets his guests with false friendship, and Bedlo is apparently killed as he conjures a storm in a last act of defiance against his nemesis. At night, Rexford finds him alive and well, hiding in the castle. Craven, meanwhile, is visited and tormented by Lenore, who is revealed to be alive and well too, having faked her death two years before to move away with Scarabus. As Craven, Estelle, Rexford and Bedlo try to escape the castle, Scarabus stops them, and they are tied and locked up. Bedlo panics and flees away in raven form, having convinced Scarabus to turn him back into bird form rather than face torture. As Craven is confronted with the choice of Estelle's torture or of him giving away the secrets of his "hand magic", Bedlo flies back in, frees Rexford, and together aid Craven.
Craven and Scarabus then seat facing each other and engage in a magic duel. After a lengthy performance of narrow escapes and derision, Craven defeats Scarabus, and escapes with his friends after rejecting Lenore, who tries to reconcile with him after alleging she had been "under a spell". The castle then tumbles down on Scarabus and his mistress, but they are shown to survive, though Scarabus has been stripped of his magic.
Rexford and Estelle retreat alone, while Bedlo tries to convince Craven to turn him back to human form once more. Craven tells him to shut his beak and recites the famous lines from Edgar Allan Poe's poem: "Quoth the raven - nevermore".

For this movie, Corman worked with people who had experience with horror to make a horror-comedy movie, and he would be pleased with all involved. For instance, Vincent Price and Corman were working on Poe films, Boris Karloff did Universal horror films, and Peter Lorre did films of suspense in the 1930s and 1940s along with mainstream films. It is not very often one gets a chance to see three horror legends...Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, and Peter Lorre. To this day the film is liked for being one of the first horror spoof's and, Corman's comic take on Poe more so than any other Poe film. It is also remembered as a film that introduced Jack Nicolson to the film world,he later stated that he liked working on the film, but did not like the title star, the raven. Although the bird was trained, it defecated on almost everyone, including Nicholson. On the title star, he said, "I hated that bird".

The story has virtually nothing to do with the Poe poem The Raven,but the witty script by Richard Matheson has superb clever use of dialogue, which you can't help but love. And there's Corman's great eye for camera shots and use of the great gothic scenery, plus the three old masters of horror make this film a delight and a must for any old school horror fan to watch. Plus just watch as Peter Lorre steals every scene he is in and chews the scenery from beginning to end, in a truly wonderful performance that will delight and surprise. You can tell Karlof and Price are having fun and are happy to let Peter show how great an actor he is, as they just play there parts for sheer comic effect. Though  Hazel Court has a small role as the beautiful Lenore, she turns in a fine performance as well, and so do the supporting cast, including Jack Nicholson in his small bizarre role.Whether or not Corman should have turned 'The Raven' into a comedy is debatable as I for one felt some of the jokes fell flat, and yet I still love it's many decent tounge in cheek moments,but I'm sure a mre darker serious version would have been better. Still, it is irrelevant because as much a spoof as it is the film is loyal to the poem in some ways, including the wonderful ending, but basicall this is completely different no where near as dark and evil. But in the end pay differences no mind, and enjoy the three masters having fun in the most light hearted of the Poe films.7/10.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14667
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/12/2012 1:42:23 PM   
losthighway

Well I hope everyone had a good Xmas. Despite being in my mid-30s I really was spoilt this Xmas by the folks...

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST BR
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD BR
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! FIGHTBACK (Book)
RAMMSTEIN - VIDEOS/1995-2012 BR

I haven't really watched anything of note over the festive period. I had been looking forward to THE GIRL for months but sadly it turned out to be rather slow and presented Hitchcock as a one-dimensional dirty old man. The Birds is my favourite film ever, so it was fun to see the behind the scenes moments but overall I was rather disappointed by this TV movie and if anything it makes me want to see Hitchcock in February for comparison.

On a slightly different note... I watched some of my Blue Underground DVDs of the Italian horrors I have upgraded to Arrow BR... despite it getting a critical malling, I'll say right now I am so pleased I bought THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY, my BU DVD is shockingly poor in comparison.

And can anyone tell me if Total Recall: Director's Cut is worth a rental on SKY Box Office. Colin looks gorgeous (as usual!), so even if the film is shit I can at least swoon... Any comments (on the film, obviously) appreciated...

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14668
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/12/2012 6:01:28 PM   
dannyfletch

Yep, and my opinion is it sucked, not majorly but it was a bore! Proof that pretty scenery and imagery doesn't always mean its going to be a gripping ride.

Just watched Sightseers and I was pleasantly surprised and amused by Ben Weatleys dark comedy about a couple who go on a bit of a killing spree. It certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea as the main characters aren't to everyone's liking and some people who I watched it with just didn't get the style of humour. It's not as dark or great as Weatley's excellent Kill List but it is well worth numerous watches. An 8/10 and one fitting for people into the weird and strange.

I would also recommend Lawless. Aussie director John Hillcoat's ( The Proposition, The Road) latest gangster/western flick is quite gripping stuff and I was quite surprised that Shia LaBeouf wasn't as annoying as I expected. With a great cast including the excellent Tom Hardy and some gritty and quite brutal violence, it's no masterpiece and Gary Oldman is criminally underused, Lawless is one I would happily watch again on a quiet Sunday afternoon. 7.5/10

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14669
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/12/2012 8:35:58 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, let's get back into the whole WIERD / STRANGE thing....

I bring you XTRO!

(this is the point where I would bring you a picture, but I've got problems with my laptop right now...)

Anyone seen this thing? It came out in 1982, a bizarre low-budget British flick that earned classic status among my video-watching schoolfriends because, let's face it, there was a very graphic full-frontal sex scene with Myram D'Abo (probably not the right spelling), five years before becoming a Bond girl.

Found a copy on Amazon for pennies, revisited it and, I gotta say, I enjoyed it. I'll go one better and say that there could be a good remake here. Nice story about a vanished father coming back as an alien and causing mayhem with lots of slimy, bloody effects. You'll never regard it as a forgotten classic, but you might have a good time watching it with beer and pizza.

Any thoughts..?

Say what now?

Post #: 14670
Page:   <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI