Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:26:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Back again! Been to see SIGHTSEERS... It was amusing at times with some moments of extreme gore. Certainly a vast improvement on Wheatley's last effort (Kill List), which was dire imho. I imagine the films saving grace was Wright's involvement and although this fact, and the ending being signposted around the 3/4 mark, it's still worth a visit to the cinema. Overall: 3/5

I've also bought a few Arrow BRs... ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (I cancelled the steelbook edition and opted for the Ltd Ed slipcase version exclusively off Arrow's website)... Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE (£6 on Amazon UK, never seen it before, seemed a bargain)... HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY Ltd Ed slipcase version (£8.95 on Zavvi).

I've also posted in the DVD Discussion area but if anyone on here owns this version of Cemetary, can you let me know if the picture is as dire as everyone says or to the casual viewer (like myself), would it quite easily be forgiven for tech issues I know sod all about!?

I loved Kil List and really want to see Sightseers but its not showing locally surprise surprise, nothing like supporting British film ay?

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14611
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:29:14 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Evil Bill, you summed up what I love about TURKEY SHOOT better than I ever could... classic exploitation cinema! Did you check out NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD? I think you'd like it...

And Dr Lenera... I saw Exorcist 2 about 20 years ago and I think I hated it, but your reviews are so good that I am now driven to seek it out again! Please keep 'em coming!

I think I'm going to try my luck at posting a review of some 80's classic... I've mentioned LIFEFORCE on a couple of other forums, saw it for the first time in many a year the other night... yeah, that's the one. I'll get back to you...

(starts furiously typing on his laptop to try and come up with a decent review...)

And Nexus Wookie too....

Thanks very much, I can't promise you'll like Exorcist 2,not many do, but I reckon you're find it interesting at the very least.....can't wait to read your thoughts!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14612
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:32:20 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

Evil Bill, you summed up what I love about TURKEY SHOOT better than I ever could... classic exploitation cinema! Did you check out NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD? I think you'd like it...

And Dr Lenera... I saw Exorcist 2 about 20 years ago and I think I hated it, but your reviews are so good that I am now driven to seek it out again! Please keep 'em coming!

I think I'm going to try my luck at posting a review of some 80's classic... I've mentioned LIFEFORCE on a couple of other forums, saw it for the first time in many a year the other night... yeah, that's the one. I'll get back to you...

(starts furiously typing on his laptop to try and come up with a decent review...)

Yeah go for it that's what this thread is for,we don't snipe at  bad spelling or whatever,we only get hot under the collor when a much loved film gets a kicking for no other reason than"I Just Don't Understand what It's About"well if it's weird/strange we don't care,we like MINDMELTING films or just plain crazy.
Here's ye old review folks.
LIFEFORCE (1985)

The space shuttle Churchill has been sent to investigate Halley's Comet when they detect something hiding inside the coma of the giant rock. A small team, led by Colonel Carlsen (Steve Railsback), has been sent to search the area. What they discover includes hundreds of frozen bat-like creatures and three nude and seemingly unconscious humanoid beings inside strange crystalline containers, two male and one female (Mathilda May).The humans from the spacecraft suddenly awake and all those who come into contact with them are drained of their "lifeforce" and in time all the victims - including most of the population of London - are turned into zombies all preying on the horrified survivors for their "lifeforce". It's up to Carlsen and Major Caine of the SAS to stop them before the whole world turns into a big blood-hunt.

Lifeforce was Tobe Hooper's first science fiction film and the script was written by Dan O'Bannon(Alien,Return of the Living Dead and Dead And Buried) and Don Jakoby(Blue Thunder), based on Colin Wilson's 1976 novel, The Space Vampires.It has everything a good Horror Sci/Fi film should have,but maybe just to much,and was trimmed for it's release in the US,as nudity in the 80's still caused censor problems.Tobe hooper directs this one with a real powerful driving force,with great images and editing,that show off his skills in a way we haven't seen before.He had a three picture deal with Cannon Films, which reportedly spent nearly $25 million in hopes of creating a blockbuster,but it bombed,as it was just to violent,gory and to much nudity for the US market at the time.Now as some will know Species is very silmar in manny ways,but it was better received as modern cinema fans now want a lot more sex/violence in there Sci/Fi and horror.Which is a shame for it's a great thrill ride of a film,with excellent effects by John Dykstra (Star Wars,2001 etc),superb amount of blood and gore,and one of the most sexist/nude vampires ever to hit the screen.

But the acting range from decent to pure ham for ham sake,the worst is easily Steve Railsback,who  is  hilariously over-the-top,and hams it to the limit. Much better in his part of Agent Caine is Peter Firth, who comes nearly steals the show ,looking and sounding convincingly good.Which i can't say for good old  Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame,in a role that he's probably a bit embarrassed by these days,ohh i can feel his pain.But the gorgeous Mathilda May as the female vampire,is beautiful,sexy,creepy seductive,and goes through virtually the whole film without wearing clothing,and never looks uncomfortable which is impressive.She is far more convincing as an alien vampire?than Natasha Henstridge in Species,and hotter,in fact she seals the show

Lifeforce is one of the strange/weird films that i know a lot of folk won't like,yet even as bad as some of the acting is,the script is disjointed,and the fact that it looks to 80's looking for todays viewers,and some of the lines are so ridiculous Yet it' never ever the least bit dull due to the nonstop nudity, the large amount of violence/gore and action, it all comes together to make an entertaining bizarre horror Sci/Fi from a director who seems to be remembered only for THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.If you like large amounts of female nudity in your sci/fi,with a good splash of blood and gore,and feel to many films look great but are no fun to sit through,well this ticks the fun ride box big time,enjoy with a few mates,and a couple of beers.7/10

O YES! I love this crazy movie, the often awful acting adds is somehow appropriate in a wierd way, I was so happy when they released the uncut DVD with the full Henry Mancini score [much of it was removed from the theatrical cut]. This is almost the perfect Guilty Pleasure I reckon!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14613
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:34:16 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

quote:

Maybe it would have worked better without Linda,or maybe the cuts ruined it,but it fails as a horror film,fails as a thriller,and fails as a drama.

Last time i tryed to watch it was on late night TV,i think it was channel 4,and i fell asleep before it ended,it just bores me to death,and i struggle to give it more than 4/10

I question your rating system. This does not sound like 4 out of 10 going from what you wrote. 4 for me means below average. What you described sounds more like crap. So either 2 for it's a no fun at all piece of crap that was hard to endure. Or 3 for it was crap but harmless and inoffensive enough.

I saw Heretic about ten years ago. From memory I would give it 2 out of 10. It was crap. And the visuals, which some people praise, were awful. The fake Africa is stunningly ugly.

Out of curiosity, to everyone on this thread, how does your rating system work?

Mine is something like this:

10 - Near perfect. Very few flaws or niggles. Very little could be done to improve upon it. Great entertainment.
9 - Great.
8 - Very good.
7 - Good.
6 - Above average.
5 - Average. Neither particularly good or bad.
4 - Below average.
3 - Bad, but watchable and not without some merit.
2 - Very bad.
1- Worthless. Hard or very difficult to watch. No fun at all. I will rarely finish a movie this bad.

PS Last night I watched Scott Pilgrim for something like the seventh time in two years. A 10 out of 10 classic. It's a future Blade Runner style cult movie.

Also I followed it up with its ambient twin Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist (8 out of 10). My brother says the short book (which he's read maybe three times) is much better than the film. I tried to read the book about a year ago but I thought the film was superior. The constant chapter switching between the point of views of the lead characters was more annoying than good. I gave up about halfway into the book.

I'm afraid I absolutely hated Scott Pilgrim, I found it torture to sit through and almost walked out of the cinema!

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14614
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:43:57 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

A good top 3. I love Thunderball too, it's an underrated Connery Bond which I prefer to Goldfinger. Has some excellent under water battles too! I recently purchased the 50th anniversary blu-ray box set. If you don't own it then I strongly recommend it. All excellent transfers with tons of great extras!

And Evil Bill too;

Well this is odd, because I agree with both of you in some ways and disagree in others. My top three would probably be

1/ On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2/ You Only Lve Twice
3/ Thunderball

From Russia With Love I also rate highly, and I actually love Moonraker, it's so over the top and such insane fun, it never fails to entertain me. Licence To Kill I'd rate near the bottom, for me it's not really Bond, more a violent US TV show, though I prefer it to Quantum. That certainly wasn't Bond to me, more like a Bourne copy with a charmless thug masquerading as Bond [and I do like Craig]. I guess I prefer my Bond suave and sophisticated,or fantastical and out of this world; the Bond books are great [at least the original Ian Flemings], but would not make that good films in my opinion, even with Dr No they altered Bond's character and world, like adding humour, and I doubt the series would have been as successful if they'd followed the tone of the books.

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14615
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 6:52:03 PM   
Dr Lenera

The farmers of the peaceful planet Akir are threatened by the space tyrant Sador and his army of mutants, the Malmori. Sador’s huge ship carries a weapon called a “Stellar Converter”, which literally turns planets into small suns. He threatens to use the Converter unless Akir submits to him when he returns in several days. Zed, the last Akira warrior, is old and nearly blind, and suggests they hire mercenaries to protect the planet. Unable to go himself, Zed offers his ship, which has an artificial intelligence navigation and tactical computer named Nell, for the job if they can find a pilot. They recruit a young man named Shad, who sets off to find help, unaware Sador left a fighter behind to watch over the planet…….

There’s almost nothing more frustrating than watching a film you used to love for the first time in many years and thinking that bits are missing. The mind sometimes plays tricks on you and you think you remember things that you actually didn’t. It’s well known that when Rosemary’s Baby came out, many people were convinced they had seen the face of the devil child despite the fact that Roman Polanski avoided showing any such thing. Battle Beyond The Stars, which is basically The Magnificent Seven [or The Seven Samurai] in space, was a film I hadn’t seen in at least fifteen years but remember enjoying, and not long ago turned up on UK TV in a great looking print. Well, I still enjoyed it, but was convinced there were two scenes missing; one where Sybil Danning sits astride Richard Thomas as she tries to seduce him, and one where there is an off-screen rape. I knew I wasn’t imagining it and though I have been unable to locate any information about different cuts of the film, I reckon it was similar to the UK cinema release which the BBFC’s website says was not cut for its ‘PG’ rating but I think must have been pre-cut by the distributors as it’s doubtful those scenes, as tame as they are, would have passed a ‘PG’ back then.

Even in cut form Battle Beyond The Stars is a fun romp that has more heart than all three Star Wars prequels and is certainly one of the best of the many productions inspired by George Lucas’s first trip to A Galaxy Far Far away in 1977 which included The Black Hole, TV’s Battleship Galactica and that hilarious Bad Movie Classic Starcrash, while other science fiction efforts like Flash Gordon, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Alien may not have been green lit if Star Wars hadn’t happened. B-movie producer king Roger Corman, rarely one to miss an opportunity for a quick buck, actually came rather late to the party with Battle Beyond The Stars, which was knocked out three years after Star Wars [I’m sorry but I still call it Star Wars, not A New Hope or Episode 4]. Though it was made on a budget which would have barely been lunch money on Lucas’s movie, it was actually the most expensive production Corman oversaw, though he certainly recouped its cost, not only from its successful cinema release but by making a film three years later called Space Raiders in which most of the special effects footage was recycled from it. It also reused James Horner’s rousing and exciting score, bits and pieces of which ended up in Corman’s Raptor in 2001 and maybe some other films too, though that won’t seem like anything new to some film music fans considering Horner is notorious for repeating himself often verbatim.

Horner is not the only big name who worked on this movie near the beginning of their career. It was scripted by John Sayles and the special effects were done by James Cameron. I expected to laugh at the effects when I began watching the film for the first time in many years, but actually they hold up pretty well. Some of the sequences featuring spacecraft and lasers firing are just a notch down from Star Wars and these scenes only really miss the computer-assisted pans which gave Lucas’s space action scenes their fluidity. As for the script, well, it makes no bones about being a remake or rip-off of The Magnificent Seven and even includes direct references to both it and The Seven Samurai, right down to Robert Vaughn playing basically the same character he had before. My favourite of these is when two children ask Vaughn’s character Velt if he is a bad man. The dialogue is a decent variant on what was said in the original film and is as touching and honest, while of course in John Sturges’ film the scene involved Charles Bronson’s character, not Vaughn’s.

Folk expecting action every ten minutes may be a little disappointed by the first half of Battle Beyond The Stars, which bar the odd little skirmish consists mostly of our bland main ‘hero’ Chad going to various strange locales and recruiting the help his planet needs. There’s not enough of a sense of threat at times, not helped by having two chief villainous henchmen played for laughs for most of the time. The folk he finds though are a great and diverse bunch. Aside from Vaughn, there’s George Peppard, prior to The A-Team but with a cigarette replacing his trademark cigar, as the Space Cowboy who is wonderfully laidback, gorgeous-movie queen Sybil Danning [whose costume kept coming off during production] as a Valkyrie, a reptilian alien called Cayman, and five white humanoid clones who share one consciousness called Nestor. All of these have decent character moments, and let’s not forget John Saxon on great hammy form as the evil Sador [one of those strange baddies who, instead of conquering, shows up to conveniently schedule his conquest a week from now in case his enemies want to mount some sort of defense], Sam Jaffe as a head on life support, and Nell, the ship’s computer with an attitude.

The film’s second half does deliver the action goods, though the space dogfights are a bit static and repeat too many of the same shots over and over again. Despite the second hand story and copying, there are some inventive things in this film like a sonic weapon which causes people to bleed, while the design aspect is very strong indeed. The spaceships range from the conventional to the very odd with Chad’s craft sporting what look like breasts [well, Corman had to get them in somewhere] and another ship consisting of huge crystals, while all the ships seem to have very different noises. Some matte paintings with ships on alien landscapes are quite beautiful. Sadly the film is very badly let down by Jimmy T. Murakami’s direction, which is very flat and TV-like. Some scenes were possibly directed by Corman, and it seems to be that there were quite a few scenes cut out, as there are some awkward transitions and edits, though Corman was notorious for not wasting a penny. One bit at the end was definitely cut out though due to poor effects work, showing some pacifists leaving Akir, feeling that their society has now become part of the violent universe.

The film has a slightly tougher edge than Star Wars and has occasional sexual elements [even in cut form], like a very funny dialogue about procreation between Chad and his girlfriend where he tells her that his race has two sexes and she replies with surprise: “only two”? Despite this, there’s an appealing innocence about this picture which just sets out to entertain and certainly succeeded in entertaining me again after so many years. I found myself rooting for this motley crew to prevail even as I started remembering who survived and who didn’t.

Rating: 6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 10/12/2012 6:37:58 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14616
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 8:22:20 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Back again! Been to see SIGHTSEERS... It was amusing at times with some moments of extreme gore. Certainly a vast improvement on Wheatley's last effort (Kill List), which was dire imho. I imagine the films saving grace was Wright's involvement and although this fact, and the ending being signposted around the 3/4 mark, it's still worth a visit to the cinema. Overall: 3/5

I've also bought a few Arrow BRs... ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (I cancelled the steelbook edition and opted for the Ltd Ed slipcase version exclusively off Arrow's website)... Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE (£6 on Amazon UK, never seen it before, seemed a bargain)... HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY Ltd Ed slipcase version (£8.95 on Zavvi).

I've also posted in the DVD Discussion area but if anyone on here owns this version of Cemetary, can you let me know if the picture is as dire as everyone says or to the casual viewer (like myself), would it quite easily be forgiven for tech issues I know sod all about!?

Like the dr i'm looking forward to SIGHTSEERS, but unlike you I did like KILL LIST, but we don't always agree on everything here, and if know if you give a film 3/5 well it's usually pretty good.

Now the Blu-Rays you've bought, i love all three, i think you'll enjoy FUNHOUSE a Tobe Hooper slasher of the strange kind, which was heavly cut in 1981,but was released uncut in 1987,hopfully this is the version you've bought, for it really is fun, and at £6 it is a bargain, must get hold of it too, and as for HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY well it always looked a bit grainy, and i'd say the Blu_Ray is taken from the master copy, which is as you've guessed not state of the art film quality wise.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 14617
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 8:35:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

A good top 3. I love Thunderball too, it's an underrated Connery Bond which I prefer to Goldfinger. Has some excellent under water battles too! I recently purchased the 50th anniversary blu-ray box set. If you don't own it then I strongly recommend it. All excellent transfers with tons of great extras!

And Evil Bill too;

Well this is odd, because I agree with both of you in some ways and disagree in others. My top three would probably be

2/ You Only Lve Twice
3/ Thunderball

From Russia With Love I also rate highly, and I actually love Moonraker, it's so over the top and such insane fun, it never fails to entertain me. Licence To Kill I'd rate near the bottom, for me it's not really Bond, more a violent US TV show, though I prefer it to Quantum. That certainly wasn't Bond to me, more like a Bourne copy with a charmless thug masquerading as Bond [and I do like Craig]. I guess I prefer my Bond suave and sophisticated,or fantastical and out of this world; the Bond books are great [at least the original Ian Flemings], but would not make that good films in my opinion, even with Dr No they altered Bond's character and world, like adding humour, and I doubt the series would have been as successful if they'd followed the tone of the books.

Wow we're all On Her Majesty's Secret Service fans wonderful, and we both dislike Scott Pilgrim, well what a surprise
[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/tumblr_mdbifr3Q5E1r9nuemo1_500.jpg
[/image]

The farmers of the peaceful planet Akir are threatened by the space tyrant Sador and his army of mutants, the Malmori. Sador’s huge ship carries a weapon called a “Stellar Converter”, which literally turns planets into small suns. He threatens to use the Converter unless Akir submits to him when he returns in several days. Zed, the last Akira warrior, is old and nearly blind, and suggests they hire mercenaries to protect the planet. Unable to go himself, Zed offers his ship, which has an artificial intelligence navigation and tactical computer named Nell, for the job if they can find a pilot. They recruit a young man named Shad, who sets off to find help, unaware Sador left a fighter behind to watch over the planet…….

The film has a slightly tougher edge than Star Wars and has occasional sexual elements [even in cut form], like a very funny dialogue about procreation between Chad and his girlfriend where he tells her that his race has two sexes and she replies with surprise: “only two”? Despite this, there’s an appealing innocence about this picture which just sets out to entertain and certainly succeeded in entertaining me again after so many years. I found myself rooting for this motley crew to prevail even as I started remembering who survived and who didn’t.

Rating: 7/10

Battle Beyond The Stars so ham but so much fun.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 10/12/2012 7:06:21 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14618
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/12/2012 9:00:31 AM   
dannyfletch

A good top 3 there Dr You Only Live Twice is another excellent Connery Bond.
After much thought here are my top 3:
1) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2) From Russia With Love
3) Skyfall
And just to make it a top 10 here are my other 7:
4) Thunderball
5) Casino Royale
6) You Only Live Twice
7) Licence to Kill
8) Goldfinger
9) The Living Daylights
10) For Your Eyes Only

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy almost every Bond film ( apart from Die Another Day!) and did find Moonraker entertaining but it's not Bond in my opinion, it went way over the top and lost the plot completely. As likeable as Roger Moore is, him and Brosnan are my least favourite Bond's. He just didn't convince me as a Bond and made it a bit of a cheesy comedy. However I do love For Your Eyes
Only and have watched it countless times. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Licence to Kill as much as me, I love it because it's different
and Tomothy Dalton is a firm favourite of mine.

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 7/12/2012 6:46:29 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14619
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/12/2012 10:05:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

Actually my list would not be as different as all that!

2/ You Only Live Twice
3/ Thunderball
4/ Moonraker
5/ From Russia With Love
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ Live And Let Die
9/ Octopussy
10/For Your Eyes Only

Skyfall would prob. be around the middle somewhere....

Post #: 14620
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/12/2012 4:04:06 PM   
dannyfletch

Wow, you really do like Moonraker.
Quite a good top 10 there Dr and good to see both The Living Daylights and For Your Eyes Only in there

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14621
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/12/2012 9:42:47 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

2/ You Only Live Twice
3/ Thunderball
4/ Moonraker
5/ From Russia With Love
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ Live And Let Die
9/ Octopussy
10/For Your Eyes Only

OK, working every hour God sends right now, so I can't get my opinions on EXORCIST 2 and LIFEFORCE together right now, but if everybody's getting a Bond top ten together, here's mine, thrown together before I try and get some sleep...

1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
2 - The World Is Not Enough
3 - Casino Royale
4 - For Your Eyes Only
5 - Skyfall
6 - Live And Let Die
7 - Licence To Kill
8 - On Her Majesties Secrt Service
9 - Moonraker
10 - The Living Daylights

And my worst of all time... gotta be Die Another Day. Not a truly terrible movie, but I can't past the awful CGI, the invisible car (seriously?) and that fuck-awful Madonna song...

Say what now?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14622
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 9/12/2012 10:03:31 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST... I was In FOPP in Manchester a couple of days ago and saw a new version of CH on DVD for a very reasonable price... now, this was a nice 2-disc set with the original video-nasty artwork...

This is one of my favourite horror movies, so much better than the whole video-nasty thing would make it out to be. Beautiful music, good performances and genuinly great direction from a director who isn't known as a great director. And a big precursor to the current fashion for 'found-footage' films that are so popular nowadays, 30 years before their time!

Is this a re-release worth getting? I've only ever seen it in heavily-cut versions. Please bear in mind that I'm notinto scenes of animal torture like the full uncut version is supposed to be full of, but I'd like to know if this version is uncut in all other respects.

Anyone got this and, if so, is it worth buying?

Say what now?

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14623
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 12:03:10 AM   
Spectator of Suicide

Not really a favourite but weird as hell.

quote:

Gyorgy Palfi's grotesque tale of three generations of men, including an obese speed eater, an embalmer of gigantic cats, and a man who shoots fire out of his penis.

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14624
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 4:49:27 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

There’s almost nothing more frustrating than watching a film you used to love for the first time in many years and thinking that bits are missing. The mind sometimes plays tricks on you and you think you remember things that you actually didn’t. It’s well known that when Rosemary’s Baby came out, many people were convinced they had seen the face of the devil child despite the fact that Roman Polanski avoided showing any such thing. Battle Beyond The Stars, which is basically The Magnificent Seven [or The Seven Samurai] in space, was a film I hadn’t seen in at least fifteen years but remember enjoying, and not long ago turned up on UK TV in a great looking print. Well, I still enjoyed it, but was convinced there were two scenes missing; one where Sybil Danning sits astride Richard Thomas as she tries to seduce him, and one where there is an off-screen rape. I knew I wasn’t imagining it and though I have been unable to locate any information about different cuts of the film, I reckon it was similar to the UK cinema release which the BBFC’s website says was not cut for its ‘PG’ rating but I think must have been pre-cut by the distributors as it’s doubtful those scenes, as tame as they are, would have passed a ‘PG’ back then.

Even in cut form Battle Beyond The Stars is a fun romp that has more heart than all three Star Wars prequels and is certainly one of the best of the many productions inspired by George Lucas’s first trip to A Galaxy Far Far away in 1977 which included The Black Hole, TV’s Battleship Galactica and that hilarious Bad Movie Classic Starcrash, while other science fiction efforts like Flash Gordon, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Alien may not have been green lit if Star Wars hadn’t happened. B-movie producer king Roger Corman, rarely one to miss an opportunity for a quick buck, actually came rather late to the party with Battle Beyond The Stars, which was knocked out three years after Star Wars [I’m sorry but I still call it Star Wars, but A New Hope or Episode 4]. Though it was made on a budget which would have barely been lunch money on Lucas’s movie, it was actually the most expensive production Corman oversaw, though he certainly recouped its cost, not only from its successful cinema release but by making a film three years later called Space Raiders in which most of the special effects footage was recycled from it. It also reused James Horner’s rousing and exciting score, bits and pieces of which ended up in Corman’s Raptor in 2001 and maybe some other films too, though that won’t seem like anything new to some film music fans considering Horner is notorious for repeating himself often verbatim.

Horner is not the only big name who worked on this movie near the beginning of their career. It was scripted by John Sayles and the special effects were done by James Cameron. I expected to laugh at the effects when I began watching the film for the first time in many years, but actually they hold up pretty well. Some of the sequences featuring spacecraft and lasers firing are just a notch down from Star Wars and these scenes only really miss the computer-assisted pans which gave Lucas’s space action scenes their fluidity. As for the script, well, it makes no bones about being a remake or rip-off of The Magnificent Seven and even includes direct references to both it and The Seven Samurai, right down to Robert Vaughn playing basically the same character he had before. My favourite of these is when two children ask Vaughn’s character Velt if he is a bad man. The dialogue is a decent variant on what was said in the original film and is as touching and honest, while of course in John Sturges’ film the scene involved Charles Bronson’s character, not Vaughn’s.

Folk expecting action every ten minutes may be a little disappointed by the first half of Battle Beyond The Stars, which bar the odd little skirmish consists mostly of our bland main ‘hero’ Chad going to various strange locales and recruiting the help his planet needs. There’s not enough of a sense of threat at times, not helped by having two chief villainous henchmen played for laughs for most of the time. The folk he finds though are a great and diverse bunch. Aside from Vaughn, there’s George Peppard, prior to The A-Team but with a cigarette replacing his trademark cigar, as the Space Cowboy who is wonderfully laidback, gorgeous-movie queen Sybil Danning [whose costume kept coming off during production] as a Valkyrie, a reptilian alien called Cayman, and five white humanoid clones who share one consciousness called Nestor. All of these have decent character moments, and let’s not forget John Saxon on great hammy form as the evil Sador [one of those strange baddies who, instead of conquering, shows up to conveniently schedule his conquest a week from now in case his enemies want to mount some sort of defense], Sam Jaffe as a head on life support, and Nell, the ship’s computer with an attitude.

The film’s second half does deliver the action goods, though the space dogfights are a bit static and repeat too many of the same shots over and over again. Despite the second hand story and copying, there are some inventive things in this film like a sonic weapon which causes people to bleed, while the design aspect is very strong indeed. The spaceships range from the conventional to the very odd with Chad’s craft sporting what look like breasts [well, Corman had to get them in somewhere] and another ship consisting of huge crystals, while all the ships seem to have very different noises. Some matte paintings with ships on alien landscapes are quite beautiful. Sadly the film is very badly let down by Jimmy T. Murakami’s direction, which is very flat and TV-like. Some scenes were possibly directed by Corman, and it seems to be that there were quite a few scenes cut out, as there are some awkward transitions and edits, though Corman was notorious for not wasting a penny. One bit at the end was definitely cut out though due to poor effects work, showing some pacifists leaving Akir, feeling that their society has now become part of the violent universe.

Rating: 6.5/10

Thankyou Dr for a terrific review of a film which i absolutely adored as a kid growing up! Your review is very insightful as always. You really should think about doing a book with all your reviews!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14625
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 3:57:49 PM   
dannyfletch

Pretty decent top ten there, good to see both Dalton entry's and OHMSS. Spy Who Loved Me is an excellent Moore Bond and would be his second best on my list

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14626
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 3:59:40 PM   
dannyfletch

Great review there Dr, will have to seek this one out as its been years since I've seen it.
Well your review of Exorcist 2 has indeed made me seek it out, just ordered it for £3 on Amazon

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14627
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 7:01:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

2/ You Only Live Twice
3/ Thunderball
4/ Moonraker
5/ From Russia With Love
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ Live And Let Die
9/ Octopussy
10/For Your Eyes Only

OK, working every hour God sends right now, so I can't get my opinions on EXORCIST 2 and LIFEFORCE together right now, but if everybody's getting a Bond top ten together, here's mine, thrown together before I try and get some sleep...

1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
3 - Casino Royale
4 - For Your Eyes Only
5 - Skyfall
6 - Live And Let Die
7 - Licence To Kill
9 - Moonraker

And my worst of all time... gotta be Die Another Day. Not a truly terrible movie, but I can't past the awful CGI, the invisible car (seriously?) and that fuck-awful Madonna song...

Well top ten it is.
2/ Skyfall
3/ Thunderball
4/ From Russia With Love
5/ The Spy Who Loved Me
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ GoldenEye
9/ The World Is Not Enough
10/ Live And Let Die
quote:

OK, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST... I was In FOPP in Manchester a couple of days ago and saw a new version of CH on DVD for a very reasonable price... now, this was a nice 2-disc set with the original video-nasty artwork...

This is one of my favourite horror movies, so much better than the whole video-nasty thing would make it out to be. Beautiful music, good performances and genuinly great direction from a director who isn't known as a great director. And a big precursor to the current fashion for 'found-footage' films that are so popular nowadays, 30 years before their time!

Is this a re-release worth getting? I've only ever seen it in heavily-cut versions. Please bear in mind that I'm notinto scenes of animal torture like the full uncut version is supposed to be full of, but I'd like to know if this version is uncut in all other respects.

It's trimmed by a few minutes as it is the original cinema cut, so yeah it's worth the money .

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14628
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/12/2012 8:10:14 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

quote:

2/ You Only Live Twice
3/ Thunderball
4/ Moonraker
5/ From Russia With Love
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ Live And Let Die
9/ Octopussy
10/For Your Eyes Only

1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
3 - Casino Royale
4 - For Your Eyes Only
5 - Skyfall
6 - Live And Let Die
7 - Licence To Kill
9 - Moonraker

Well top ten it is.
2/ Skyfall
3/ Thunderball
4/ From Russia With Love
5/ The Spy Who Loved Me
6/ The Living Dayligfhts
7/ Casino Royale
8/ GoldenEye
9/ The World Is Not Enough
10/ Live And Let Die
quote:

It's trimmed by a few minutes as it is the original cinema cut, so yeah it's worth the money .

Cheers, Bill, I'm in Manchester tomorrow, will pick it up. I may even post a review... yeah, like I promised to post certain other reviews...

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14629
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 1:08:56 AM   
losthighway

I watched Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse tonight... Even by 80s horror film standards it was bad! It'll be getting traded in at CEX me thinks...

Also, I spotted in Waterstones today Zombie Apocalypse! Fightback... the sequel to ZA! funnily enough. Anyway, I didn't even realise there was a sequel but for anyone who hasn't read the original it's well worth a look. I've now added Fightback to my Xmas wishlist along with Fulci's City of the Living Dead BR and Cannibal Holocaust BR

Click: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Apocalypse-Fightback-Stephen-Jones/dp/1780334656/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355188245&sr=1-1

< Message edited by losthighway -- 11/12/2012 1:12:02 AM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14630
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 7:21:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I watched Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse tonight... Even by 80s horror film standards it was bad! It'll be getting traded in at CEX me thinks...

Also, I spotted in Waterstones today Zombie Apocalypse! Fightback... the sequel to ZA! funnily enough. Anyway, I didn't even realise there was a sequel but for anyone who hasn't read the original it's well worth a look. I've now added Fightback to my Xmas wishlist along with Fulci's City of the Living Dead BR and Cannibal Holocaust BR

Click: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Apocalypse-Fightback-Stephen-Jones/dp/1780334656/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355188245&sr=1-1

Ahh nice one Fulci's CITY OF THE DEAD,i'm hoping for a few Blu-Rays myself of the Italian Horror kind,but i don't think the wife will be buying them.
Anyway here's a delayed review,as i had a problem getting hold of it,and also i've discovered i can't post images with Windows 8 IE Internet Explorer 10,every time i try i just get the URL number appearing and fuck all else.So great new laptop but i'm back on this pile of shit Dell windows XP as at least i can post images,though it's to bloody slow.

TALES OF TERROR 1962

Roger Corman's Tales of Terror stars Vincent Price in a trio of short stories of Edgar Allan Poe.The first tale is Morella in which Price's bitterness over the long-ago death of his wife results in tragedy for his estranged daughter Maggie Pierce.Number two The Black Cat,is a tale of revenge concerning Price, his bitter enemy Peter Lorre, and Lorre's two-timing wife Joyce Jameson.In which a besotted Lorre walls up Price and Jameson in his cellar, then endures a hellish hallucination of Vincent and Joyce playing with his head!The last of the three is The Case of Mr. Valdemar,which finds Price being put into a state of suspended animation by the diabolical Basil Rathbone; when Rathbone claims Price's bride Debra Paget for himself, Price briefly revives, only to melt before our eyes.

This is a real mixed bag,as the short story's it's based on are not to the letter,with plot lines from other story's mixed in,in fact a lot of liberties have been taken with the stories.Also there's more humor here than the first three,as Corman and  Richard Matheson  try to move the Poe films into a more entertaining less morbid zone.Once again sets are reused from the past three,but it's all put to film in glorious Cinemascope,and the cast get some great lines to say,all look and sound like they enjoyed this one for sure.Although each story only lasts about 30 minutes,and compared to the other Corman/Poe films it's uneven sometimes plain stupid in places.But it stands up well when compared to other similar collections of short films from the same era, such as Amicus' Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965).

Screenwriter Richard Matheson gives us the dark twisted tale first Morella,a very sombre tale, featuring Vincent Price mourning the death of his wife,which is very effective as a creepy look at death and loss,leading to mental breakdown and fear and hate replacing love and trust.Price is in his element here as his face shows his pain and we fear for his daughters safety.There's a complete change of gear for the second tale,with more emphasize on jokes,and for a Poe fan this was the tale i disliked,for the truth of Poe is he was one grim, death-haunted writer, and each of these stories is a meditation on death and the tricks it plays on us.But the second tale fell flat for me,it was just stupid in places,as good as the acting was and the great set design.But luckily there is a grisly second half,which is a joy to watch in any event, especially seeing Price's hammy performance as he melts in front of us.. The final tale The Case of M. Valdemar is probably the closest to its source material very much capturing the spirit of this dark tale,with the best of the acting along with superb screenplay.Corman and Matterson have this so tightly scripted,which adds meat to this creepy story, and the Carmichael (Rathbone) character is actually the best in this Poe film,out shining Price for sheer evil presence for me anyway.A superb Zombie story even though the ending of the filmed version is a bit more vague in both plot and in explaining the horrific dilemma than was in Poe's version.

Overall it's just falls short mainly because of the first two sections that just did not feel as creepy as they should have,and to be honest even the script could not hide the fact that both tales where pieced togetter from other tales.Which i think is why the final tale looked and felt the better,as the script stayed that bit closer to the original tale.But as far as these tales go,i have to say Romero/Argento's take on these tales with there film TWO EVIL EYES is far Superior,and makes this one look the weakest of the Cormam/Poe films i've seen so;6/10

Post #: 14631
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 9:15:36 PM   
dannyfletch

An excellent choice in your top 10 there mate. Goldeneye is by far the best Brosnan effort and The World is Not Enough would be my second favourite choice of his too :-) I came to the conclusion of my top 10 after watching them recently in the new BR box set as my opinion has changed over the years.

Eagerly awaiting my copy of Exorcist 2 now to re-evaluate my opinion on that too!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14632
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 9:40:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

You may still dislike it.....but you're certainly find it intriguing. Now if I'm correct that's three people who are going to check out Exorcist 2; if just one of you likes it I#ll be a happy man

quote:

quote:

Ahh nice one Fulci's CITY OF THE DEAD,i'm hoping for a few Blu-Rays myself of the Italian Horror kind,but i don't think the wife will be buying them.
Anyway here's a delayed review,as i had a problem getting hold of it,and also i've discovered i can't post images with Windows 8 IE Internet Explorer 10,every time i try i just get the URL number appearing and fuck all else.So great new laptop but i'm back on this pile of shit Dell windows XP as at least i can post images,though it's to bloody slow.

TALES OF TERROR 1962

Roger Corman's Tales of Terror stars Vincent Price in a trio of short stories of Edgar Allan Poe.The first tale is Morella in which Price's bitterness over the long-ago death of his wife results in tragedy for his estranged daughter Maggie Pierce.Number two The Black Cat,is a tale of revenge concerning Price, his bitter enemy Peter Lorre, and Lorre's two-timing wife Joyce Jameson.In which a besotted Lorre walls up Price and Jameson in his cellar, then endures a hellish hallucination of Vincent and Joyce playing with his head!The last of the three is The Case of Mr. Valdemar,which finds Price being put into a state of suspended animation by the diabolical Basil Rathbone; when Rathbone claims Price's bride Debra Paget for himself, Price briefly revives, only to melt before our eyes.

This is a real mixed bag,as the short story's it's based on are not to the letter,with plot lines from other story's mixed in,in fact a lot of liberties have been taken with the stories.Also there's more humor here than the first three,as Corman and  Richard Matheson  try to move the Poe films into a more entertaining less morbid zone.Once again sets are reused from the past three,but it's all put to film in glorious Cinemascope,and the cast get some great lines to say,all look and sound like they enjoyed this one for sure.Although each story only lasts about 30 minutes,and compared to the other Corman/Poe films it's uneven sometimes plain stupid in places.But it stands up well when compared to other similar collections of short films from the same era, such as Amicus' Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965).

Screenwriter Richard Matheson gives us the dark twisted tale first Morella,a very sombre tale, featuring Vincent Price mourning the death of his wife,which is very effective as a creepy look at death and loss,leading to mental breakdown and fear and hate replacing love and trust.Price is in his element here as his face shows his pain and we fear for his daughters safety.There's a complete change of gear for the second tale,with more emphasize on jokes,and for a Poe fan this was the tale i disliked,for the truth of Poe is he was one grim, death-haunted writer, and each of these stories is a meditation on death and the tricks it plays on us.But the second tale fell flat for me,it was just stupid in places,as good as the acting was and the great set design.But luckily there is a grisly second half,which is a joy to watch in any event, especially seeing Price's hammy performance as he melts in front of us.. The final tale The Case of M. Valdemar is probably the closest to its source material very much capturing the spirit of this dark tale,with the best of the acting along with superb screenplay.Corman and Matterson have this so tightly scripted,which adds meat to this creepy story, and the Carmichael (Rathbone) character is actually the best in this Poe film,out shining Price for sheer evil presence for me anyway.A superb Zombie story even though the ending of the filmed version is a bit more vague in both plot and in explaining the horrific dilemma than was in Poe's version.

Overall it's just falls short mainly because of the first two sections that just did not feel as creepy as they should have,and to be honest even the script could not hide the fact that both tales where pieced togetter from other tales.Which i think is why the final tale looked and felt the better,as the script stayed that bit closer to the original tale.But as far as these tales go,i have to say Romero/Argento's take on these tales with there film TWO EVIL EYES is far Superior,and makes this one look the weakest of the Cormam/Poe films i've seen so;6/10

Don't think I've ever seen this one mate, I may have seen the last story decades ago but not the whole film.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14633
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 9:45:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

Having trouble resising images at the moment so apologies!

Dr. Lawrence Angelo works for Virtual Space Industries, running experiments in increasing the intelligence of chimpanzees using drugs and virtual reality. One of the chimps escapes using warfare technology that he was being trained to even though Angelo is generally a pacifist who would rather explore the intelligence-enhancing potential of his research without applying it for military purposes. The ape is befriended by Jobe Smith, a local church groundskeeper with a learning disability, before it is shot by the military. Angelo falls into alcoholism, threatening his relationship with his wife, then one day he notices Jobe mowing his lawn. Perhaps, with some alteration to his old formula, he could begin his work again and make Jobe smarter……

After Tron and Brainstorm first employed the concept in the early 80’s, the next major motion picture to deal with virtual reality was not for over a decade. The Lawnmower Man is almost a really good science fiction thriller, and it certainly has one of those stories that is rife with meaning, though in the end it’s mostly just another variation on the Frankenstein idea of the scientist who goes too far playing God and the creation who goes wrong because of this, and actually if you remove the ground-breaking [for their time] computer effects it’s not really very original at all. It doesn’t bear much resemblance to Stephen King’s short story The Lawnmower Man, which is about a man who hires somebody to mow his lawn and that somebody has the mower cut the lawn all by itself and kill the owner as a sacrifice to the God Pan. The film’s initial script was called Cyber God but was rewritten when New Line wanted to put in elements from King’s story which they held the rights to. When the film was released, to decent box office, under the title Stephen King’s The Lawnmower Man, the writer, who was unhappy about having a film boasting the title of one of his stories but not being much like it, sued the studio three times before they complied and removed his name from prints.

Seen today, one cannot help but consider the film very dated technically. The occasions when computer-orientated things happen outside of the virtual reality world, like a man on fire, look awful, and why does anyone who needs to go into the virtual reality need to wear spandex suits like the ones in Tron? The actual virtual reality sequences still look rather good though; yes, things have moved on, but I don’t think the intent was to create a realistic virtual world anyway. Everything leaps out at you [as much as it pains me to say this, they could almost justify re-releasing this movie in 3D, perhaps with more and maybe improved virtual reality sequences] as we fly over a landscape with islands in the sky and through a Star Wars climax-like environment. The best sequence is when Jobe takes his girlfriend for a spin in the world and, after they have sex and meld into a butterfly, he turns into a monstrous demon, partly because he is playing with her and partly because he can’t help revealing his true evil self.

Of course this stuff is only a small part of the movie which is for some of its length a variation on the Daniel Keyes novel Flowers For Algernon, which was made into the really moving 1968 film Charly. Once again a mentally disabled man is turned, by science, into a man of great intelligence, but for it to eventually go wrong. Jeff Fahey perhaps overplays Jobe in the early scenes with his wide eyes and gormless expression, but it’s interesting watching him gradually change. The story is also about a scientist who desperately wants to do good and doesn’t see what is wrong with what he is trying to do, even if he is against the US military getting involved. Things get rather silly around half way through when Pierce Brosnan’s scientist briefly becomes an action hero when he has to deal with shady government agents. By now Jobe has some special powers, but unlike the lead characters of the King-based Carrie, Firestarter and The Dead Zone, ceases to be sympathetic, even if those he kills have all been nicely set up earlier as nasty people we look like to see buy it [sadistic priest, abusive husband etc]. Sadly, the idea of someone who can control minds doesn’t create as much fear or tension as it should and the climactic scenes, even the ones set in virtual reality, are not as exciting as they ought to be.

Brosnan gives a really strong performance in this film and Jenny Wright does her best in a thankless role as the tart who Jobe starts sleeping with. Dan Wyman’s music score, relying greatly on synthesised voices, is pathetically weak. Overall this is still worth a watch especially in its Director’s Cut. The Lawnmower Man is a perfect example of how extra footage, in this respect 31 mins, can alter and improve a movie. The pace is certainly slower in the first half, but more footage of Jobe and the monkey make its death more traumatic and the film goes on to become as much about Brosnan’s character as it is Fahey’s. He becomes a more complex and at times less likeable character. We even see a major character killed which did not occur on the Theatrical Cut! A little quaint and very cliched, but still a fairly involving film which to my mind [not having watched it for many years] succeeded better in many of its quieter scenes than its louder ones.

Rating: 6.5./10

Dr. Benjamin Trace creates a brilliant device which allows unhindered access to all sources of electronic information such as banks and hospitals. When he questions their motives, the corporation that funded his research, led by scientist Benjamin Walker, take him to court and claim the device as their own. Trace disappears, so the corporation pulls a crippled Jobe from the wreckage of the first movie and offers him a job. Seven years later, Jobe’s secret work for Walker has lead to a future that’s advanced on the surface, but hides a sad underbelly of poverty and unemployment. A now 16-year-old Peter Parkette is now a computer hacker living underground and is found by Jobe in cyberspace. He wants Peter to bring Trace to him so that he can finish a powerful chip. It seems that Jobe has plans that go far beyond the sharing or stealing of information……

The DVD which I bought of The Lawnmower Man advertised in a small bubble on the front that the set also contained ‘free copy’ of the sequel. That in itself ought to set alarm bells ringing. Normally if a DVD set contains a film and its sequel they are both mentioned together rather than the knowledge that the second movie is also in the set being almost hidden away. The quality of the copy is also terrible because the UK distributors just copied a video that certainly looked like it had had too many plays. Yes, you got that right, so you have ghosting and blotches and all the kind of stuff you’ll remember from well-worn video tapes. I doubt anyone would want to upgrade it to the R1 though, as this is a seriously bad sequel that certainly deserves its appalling reputation, an awesomely stupid concoction that manages to be both confusing and dumb but isn’t enjoyable either, unlike a large amount of other bad science fiction. It’s easy to understand why Jeff Fahey declines to return as the Lawnmower Man, and why the film was such a flop.

In all of my reviews, I write a brief synopsis of the first third or so, but I actually had to spend a couple of minutes researching for this one, because I was not entirely sure what happened. The storytelling is so muddled that at times the only things you can be sure of are that the words ”cyber” and ”virtual” will turn up every minute or so. You know you’re watching a stinker when the words “The Future” appear on screen at the beginning with no date. This future is a poor man’s Blade Runner with lots and lots of blue to try and compensate for the lack of detail. The virtual reality technology in this story can now approximate reality, so the visuals don’t resemble those in the first film much, but most of it just consists of the kids flying over the ground Peter Pan style. In fact, not much occurs in virtual reality at all, which might be just as well considering the early scene where there’s a chase involving bike-type vehicles which lasts all of thirty seconds and is so ineptly staged it’s hard to tell what has happened. These first few minutes also destroy any good will anyone may have to this sequel in the scene where Peter appears to Jobe in his virtual reality world and asks him to help him. If you recall the first film, Peter was Jobe’s only real friend and their relationship was almost the heart of the film, certainly Jobe’s side of the story. Therefore you would think that much would be made of what should be a really touching reunion, but the scene is virtually emotionless and is over in no time.

The majority of the film consists of Dr Trace and our three heroic teenagers, who are homeless but have somehow been able to teach themselves advanced computer science and who possess equipment that works in an old train, trying to steal this chip Jobe is making called the Krylon chip and evading Jobe’s attempts to destroy them by controlling seemingly everything that is powered by computers [the one half-decent scene involves two trains]. We aren’t told enough about this chip and people keep talking about something called “Egypt” which is connected with it but I’ll be damned if I could work out what it is. It’s decided to, and I quote: “make Jobe so angry he destroys himself”, but the climax is…..a sword fight, which ends hilariously when one guy taps the other one and he jumps several feet backwards. But then there’s also that bizarre bit where they try to find out who wrote a computer program by looking at a 3D image of a word. In fact the film is crammed full of bizarre bits, but director Farhad Mann fails to inject much fun into the proceedings except incompetent staging of the simplest scenes.

Austin O’ Brien returns from the first film and Patrick Bergin turns up after a while, his hammy performance showing that he realises what he’s in and is doing his best to have fun with it. Robert Folk’s score is actually very good and actually sounds too grand for what is happening on screen, though the last two minutes of the end credits occur in total silence. Overall this is a piece of rubbish that is only really interesting for some of its concepts, as stupidly expressed as they are. When Jobe tries to turn the world into a virtual reality world, or make everyone live in his virtual reality world [it’s not really clear what he’s trying to do], I couldn’t help thinking of The Matrix and avenues which the Wachowski brothers could have gone down. Then again, all throughout Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace, I kept thinking of other films I’d rather be watching.

Rating: 2/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14634
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/12/2012 9:51:04 PM   
Mister Coe

Dr Lenera, I would much rather watch a movie I dislike that leaves an opinion in my head than the constant cavalcade of shit that passes for movies in 2012...

With that in mind, I await my DVD of EXORCIST 2...

Say what now?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14635
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/12/2012 3:25:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

An excellent choice in your top 10 there mate. Goldeneye is by far the best Brosnan effort and The World is Not Enough would be my second favourite choice of his too :-) I came to the conclusion of my top 10 after watching them recently in the new BR box set as my opinion has changed over the years.

Eagerly awaiting my copy of Exorcist 2 now to re-evaluate my opinion on that too!

Well I've always had HMSS as my number 1 bond film of all time, but the rest are always subject to change, in fact Goldeneye was number 2 for a long time till Daniel Craig came along. Brosnan really impressed me till Craig blew all the Bond actors away with his first film, saying that I was a fan of Craig from Layer Cake, that great British crime film, i' knew he'd make a good 007, but never expected him to be awesome.
quote:

[image]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7C2JCalsYdE/TLfJ6lFmj2I/AAAAAAAAKNY/SzhePotOvTk/s1600/exorcist_ii_the_heretic.jpg
[/image]
Dr Lenera, I would much rather watch a movie I dislike that leaves an opinion in my head than the constant cavalcade of shit that passes for movies in 2012...

With that in mind, I await my DVD of EXORCIST 2...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7C2JCalsYdE/TLfJ6lFmj2I/AAAAAAAAKNY/SzhePotOvTk/s1600/exorcist_ii_the_heretic.jpg
like what you said here, very much why this thread exists to give certain films a chance of getting some love, and yet so many still say "I watched the first half and switched off" and then give a run down on why they hated the film. How can anybody truly have an opinion of a film or other work of art, without giving it a fair viewing, then you can give a good argument for or against. Which brings me to THE EXORCIST II The Hectic, i'm glad to see it getting some love, but it's one film I've seen twice and will never be added to my collection, but if it turns up on late night TV or SKY Movies, I might just watch it with a very large bottle of Vodka.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 13/12/2012 12:19:46 PM >

Post #: 14636
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/12/2012 3:31:33 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Having trouble resising images at the moment so apologies!

Brosnan gives a really strong performance in this film and Jenny Wright does her best in a thankless role as the tart who Jobe starts sleeping with. Dan Wyman’s music score, relying greatly on synthesised voices, is pathetically weak. Overall this is still worth a watch especially in its Director’s Cut. The Lawnmower Man is a perfect example of how extra footage, in this respect 31 mins, can alter and improve a movie. The pace is certainly slower in the first half, but more footage of Jobe and the monkey make its death more traumatic and the film goes on to become as much about Brosnan’s character as it is Fahey’s. He becomes a more complex and at times less likeable character. We even see a major character killed which did not occur on the Theatrical Cut! A little quaint and very cliched, but still a fairly involving film which to my mind [not having watched it for many years] succeeded better in many of its quieter scenes than its louder ones.

Rating: 6.5./10

Rating: 2/10

Would agree with you on both films, but would not feel good about giving Lawnmower Man 2 more than a 1/10, the first of course was a little gem of a King Sci/Fi film, though no where near the best King to Film books, it's entertaining if a little slow in places.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14637
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/12/2012 8:02:10 PM   
dannyfletch

I find the Lawnmower Man has dated very badly and never really thought much of it in the first place. Pretty 3rd rate stuff.

Anyway onto some decent sci-fi ;-) I recently purchased Cube on blu-ray and must say it is a film that will never date. A very clever, low budget gem of a movie that only has six characters in the whole film. I remember liking it when I first watched it but now love it. Definitely worth a purchase if you don't own the blu-ray already.

Excision is also another which I have recently purchased after hearing some great things. If you're a fan of the macabre, very dark black humour and Cronenberg style body horror then I strongly recommend. A great performance from Annaylnne McCord who plays the troubled teenage misfit lead character and its always great to see good old Malcolm McDowell. Apparently this is the director Richard Bates Jr's first film so I think he is definitely one to look out for in the future.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14638
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/12/2012 9:50:47 AM   
losthighway

From zombies to... THE HOBBIT!

I saw it yesterday in 2D and 24fps and it looked just fine to me. To get the main problems out of the way first... the story felt too weak to sustain the running time, let alone a trilogy, it suffers from the same narrative problem that ROTK does at the end and mostly you do feel like you've seen it all before with a band of hobbits instead of dwarves!

HOWEVER...

The film is tonally different to the original trilogy and it plays much more like a childrens film, incorporating the songs from Tolkien's book which LOTR didn't so much as I recall and on more than one occasion I was reminded of The NeverEnding Story in its fantasy elements... I thought Radagast was brilliant and wished there was more of him! The tone does shift aound the halfway point to something more akin to The Two Towers but still the film remains more childlike than the adult tone of the original trilogy. Oh and despite the issue with that ending, I think the final scenes are worth the admission price alone. I thought it looked beautiful. Ignore the critics and go and see it, I think once you get past the fact it's a different story set in the same universe, you'll have a great time.

Overall: 4/5

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 14639
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/12/2012 2:03:24 PM   
evil bill

quote:

From zombies to... THE HOBBIT!

I saw it yesterday in 2D and 24fps and it looked just fine to me. To get the main problems out of the way first... the story felt too weak to sustain the running time, let alone a trilogy, it suffers from the same narrative problem that ROTK does at the end and mostly you do feel like you've seen it all before with a band of hobbits instead of dwarves!

HOWEVER...

The film is tonally different to the original trilogy and it plays much more like a childrens film, incorporating the songs from Tolkien's book which LOTR didn't so much as I recall and on more than one occasion I was reminded of The NeverEnding Story in its fantasy elements... I thought Radagast was brilliant and wished there was more of him! The tone does shift aound the halfway point to something more akin to The Two Towers but still the film remains more childlike than the adult tone of the original trilogy. Oh and despite the issue with that ending, I think the final scenes are worth the admission price alone. I thought it looked beautiful. Ignore the critics and go and see it, I think once you get past the fact it's a different story set in the same universe, you'll have a great time.

Overall: 4/5

Sounds good to me, I've promised the young daughter i'd take her tomorrow to see it in 2D of course, and going by your bup beat review, it sounds just the ticket for a youngster to see.

Post #: 14640
Page:   <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI