Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/11/2012 8:17:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I have watched The Exorcist evil bill and its one of the greatest horror films ever made without question. I've also seen Exorcist III but it was a while ago and my memory of it is very vague. I think its time for a rewatch. However i don't rate the second film too highly. As for the prequels i haven't watched the lesser known one of the two - i'll rectify that soon. By the way bill, i wrote a review for the original classic last night. I had to stop midway through writing it as i got really spooked out! . The missus and the kids were asleep and i swear i felt the presence of Pazazu nearby lol!

The Exorcist (1973)

A young girl Regan (Linda Blair) who resides with her mother (Ellen Burstyn) in Georgetown, Washington, starts exhibiting strange symptons. Her mother concerned, seeks medical attention but to no avail. She seeks advice from a priest who is convinced that Regan is possessed. But things start going for the worst...

I still remember vividly my first viewing of The Exorcist. It was many years ago on Channel 4 one night. Growing up i would hear about and read about this 'infamous' film and the legendary persona it had aquired. ''Its so scary a man had a heart attack and died while watching it'' a friend told me at school. ''theres genuine evil in the film'' cried others.

Another unsettling moment is the tape scene. Its the moment we here the guttaral voice of Pazazu. Its the films piece de resistance. All this was possible thanks to the actress Mercedes McCambridge's effort, enhanced of course further by the sound team. Its also her voice we hear when Regan is shouting all manner of unholy profanity in the direction of the terrified priests. The tape scene is a deeply disturbing moment; the hair on the back of my neck stood up. The look on Father Karras' shocked face says it all.

And so those are just some of the reasons why i hold this film in such high esteem. For me, the only film which can come close to matching the unbridled terror of The Exorcist is Kubrick's The Shining. Today there are arguably more scarier film's than the aforementioned, but The Exorcist will always be the daddy of them all.

10/10

Excellent review of one of the great horror films, I first saw this on an almost unwatchable pirate video when it was banned for home viewing,and it still freaked me out. I remain [and I know Bill will kill me for this] a bit of a fan of the much maligned and misunderstood first sequel too

Dr go on post a good review of The Exorcist II,i know you want too,and after all you might change my mind about it,NOT!!!,and maybe a few others might just like to know more about this one.I'd have to re watch it to give an honest review about it,i last saw it on late night TV and switched off half way through,which means the only time i saw the entire film,was at the Exorcist double bill at the cinema back in the 80's.I liked some of the direction,but hated the story,the acting,and felt let down by the film at the time,but was well pleased by this one;

THE EXORCIST III (Legion) 1990

William Peter Blatty writes and directs The Exorcist 3,based on his own book Legion,and it starts where the first film ended but 15 years later.Back in Georgetown ,Boston a series of  mysterious murders begin,and police Lt Kinderman (George C Scott)is on the hunt for a killer he thought long dead.What is the link between the killer and the exorcism that took place 15 years ago,the same night the Gemini Killer was killed?

This is a brilliant chiller/horror movie that aims to scare the pants off you,but it is also one of the most plot and sub plot laden horror movies around,in other words it's not for the Hostel/Twlight crowd,as it might just make them open there minds.You might think this might slow the film down,but no this is never a problem as it is never boring,as it adds a richness to the script,and a depth lacking in so many horror films now.Be warned though it needs your full attion as it leads to a awesome well scripted film,you really need to be focused on this brillant story to get the most out of it.Blatty took some real risks with this movie,as it shys away from gore,and go's into some disturbing weird dream shots,that in the wrong hands just would have fallen flat,but not here,as Blatty proves he's not just a great writter,he is a great artist/director as well.

Saddly Warner's took scissors to this fine movie and tagged on a different ending,that they forced an unwilling Blatty to shoot,his own 20 mintuies of footage is now lost,yet with all the interference it still works.And this is down to fine performances from George C Scott who plays the cop that the late great Lee J Cobb played in the first,and there's Ed Flanders who have the best lines from the very start,as we learn they have been great friends from the first Exorcist,they also love films,there favorite being It's A Wonderful Life,which also has a link in this film?.There's also Brad Dourif who is just chilling in his part of a serial killer??,maybe one of his best roles ever,you have to see this to understand why,i can say no more without giving to much away.Jason Miller back as Father Karras,who yes died in the first,again i'm saying notting about this plot line,for there are many plot lines,"for we are many".Add to the great cast Scott Wilson,Patrick Ewing who also add to this great mix of three dimensional characters,who all add depth to he film,and even Samuel L Jackson turns up as a basket ball coach.

Now i really don't want to give away the plot too much as this could spoil the fun,for those who might not have seen this yet(and if so why not!!!),but believe me this has one of the all time best scare scenes ever put to film.This is a movie that asks you to use your brain,yet still has the old horror movie feel to it,with a great build up and use of fear of what you haven't seen,slow build up,sudden shocks etc.Those who have seen it fall into two groups,those who hate it! and those who love it!and i love it,but make sure you get the region 1 if you can,as it is the most complete version.A great movie for these dark nights,and for me the one and only true sequel to THE EXORCIST,a must see for any horror fan,get it on region 1,for the full 110 minties of brilliant horror except for maybe that last 15 that where added.It's on my wish list for Warners to give us the fully restored remastered full HD sound and vision Blu-Ray.As much as i'd love to see the directors cut,with 20 minties of Blatty's footage returned to this classic,the sad fact is that as far as Blatty knows it was all bined,as he has pushed to get this release once again.But even as it stands it is a classic horror film.and one of the best sequeals ever made,and i just wish Blatty had made more films,he has a unique talent,and is a brilliant screenwriter/writer.9/10
And here's William Peter Blattys only other directed film:

The Ninth Configuration (1980)

Made back in 1980 and based on his own book this is one great overlooked movie,his debut as writer/director and came up with a mind-bending classic. I only know a handful of people who have even heard of this movie, but everyone who gets to see it becomes an instant raving fan.Now it's original running time was 118 minutes,but some versions are cut to 109 and less,like a lot of re issuse's.Now there was a full 140 minute extended version which i would love to get my hands on.The Version i have on DVD is the 118,but to add to the mayhem there are also several different endings,including Kane being killed by bikers,and even a taped on happy ending.It's no wonder Blatty hasn't returned to directing,and yet he is so missed by us fans,i just wish directors would be left alone to do what they do best DIRECT!! 

Colonel Kane (Stacey Keach, Road Games,American History X) is sent to a top secret facility full of military personal suffering from breakdowns, delusions and other mental problems.It's set in an old gothic castle far from the eyes of the public or press,and has that creepy lonely feeling everytime you getthat wide shot.While attempting to find some way to cure them he becomes particularly concerned with a tortured astronaut, Captain Cutshaw (Scott Wilson,Way Of The Gun), and the two form a special, odd relationship. However things are not what they first appear to be, and to give anymore plot points away would be criminal. All I can say is that you're in for one hell of a ride!IE strange weird kind

Keach and Wilson are both outstanding in two of the best roles of their careers, but what really makes this a must-see is a superb supporting cast of character actors who are all equally good, and spout some of the freshest, most memorable dialogue you'll ever hear. Some of them include Robert Loggia ('Lost Highway'), Jason Miller ('The Exorcist'), Tom Atkins ('Maniac Cop'), Moses Gunn ('Rollerball'), Neville Brand ('Eaten Alive'), Joe Spinell ('Maniac') and Richard Lynch ('Open Season'). This movie like Exorcist II makes you use your head and the characters are just as three dimensional too,with a very heay plot,but again never boring.

The film script is very heavy as it combine's philosophy, madness and humour,also has an under lying plot about what is true evil and how we are manilplated by the powers that be.The dalogue is also pretty far out, at its best it's really snappy, clever and absorbing, but there are other times it just stumbles around clumsily and becomes embarrassing instead of clever.But this is definitely a unique film with a lot of rare content, it's easy to see why William Peter Blatty fought so hard to see this film released.Though it got a very limited release and bombed because the studio did not know how to market it,which is no surprise,as it comes across as something which has a deep intellectual feel.There is no doubt that director/writter and all the actors on this film do the source material justice,as it shines through in nearly every scene.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 30/11/2012 5:39:02 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14581
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/11/2012 9:48:37 PM   
Mister Coe

Exorcist 3 is one of the most under-rated horror movies ever.

Haven't seen it in many a year, but it's now on my to-watch list.

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14582
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/11/2012 10:13:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

quote:

I have watched The Exorcist evil bill and its one of the greatest horror films ever made without question. I've also seen Exorcist III but it was a while ago and my memory of it is very vague. I think its time for a rewatch. However i don't rate the second film too highly. As for the prequels i haven't watched the lesser known one of the two - i'll rectify that soon. By the way bill, i wrote a review for the original classic last night. I had to stop midway through writing it as i got really spooked out! . The missus and the kids were asleep and i swear i felt the presence of Pazazu nearby lol!

The Exorcist (1973)

A young girl Regan (Linda Blair) who resides with her mother (Ellen Burstyn) in Georgetown, Washington, starts exhibiting strange symptons. Her mother concerned, seeks medical attention but to no avail. She seeks advice from a priest who is convinced that Regan is possessed. But things start going for the worst...

I still remember vividly my first viewing of The Exorcist. It was many years ago on Channel 4 one night. Growing up i would hear about and read about this 'infamous' film and the legendary persona it had aquired. ''Its so scary a man had a heart attack and died while watching it'' a friend told me at school. ''theres genuine evil in the film'' cried others.

Another unsettling moment is the tape scene. Its the moment we here the guttaral voice of Pazazu. Its the films piece de resistance. All this was possible thanks to the actress Mercedes McCambridge's effort, enhanced of course further by the sound team. Its also her voice we hear when Regan is shouting all manner of unholy profanity in the direction of the terrified priests. The tape scene is a deeply disturbing moment; the hair on the back of my neck stood up. The look on Father Karras' shocked face says it all.

And so those are just some of the reasons why i hold this film in such high esteem. For me, the only film which can come close to matching the unbridled terror of The Exorcist is Kubrick's The Shining. Today there are arguably more scarier film's than the aforementioned, but The Exorcist will always be the daddy of them all.

10/10

Excellent review of one of the great horror films, I first saw this on an almost unwatchable pirate video when it was banned for home viewing,and it still freaked me out. I remain [and I know Bill will kill me for this] a bit of a fan of the much maligned and misunderstood first sequel too

Dr go on post a good review of The Exorcist II,i know you want too,and after all you might change my mind about it,NOT!!!,and maybe a few others might just like to know more about this one.I'd have to re watch it to give an honest review about it,i last saw it on late night TV and switched off half way through,which means the only time i saw the entire film,was at the Exorcist double bill at the cinema back in the 80's.I liked some of the direction,but hated the story,the acting,and felt let down by the film at the time,but was well pleased by this one;

THE EXORCIST III (Legion) 1990

William Peter Blatty writes and directs The Exorcist 3,based on his own book Legion,and it starts where the first film ended but 15 years later.Back in Georgetown ,Boston a series of  mysterious murders begin,and police Lt Kinderman (George C Scott)is on the hunt for a killer he thought long dead.What is the link between the killer and the exorcism that took place 15 years ago,the same night the
Gemini Killer was killed?

This is a brilliant chiller/horror movie that aims to scare the pants off you,but it is also one of the most plot and sub plot laden horror movies around,in other words it's not for the Hostel/Twlight crowd,as it might just make them open there minds.You might think this might slow the film down,but no this is never a problem as it is never boring,as it adds a richness to the script,and a depth lacking in so many horror films now.Be warned though it needs your full attion as it leads to a awesome well scripted film,you really need to be focused on this brillant story to get the most out of it.Blatty took some real risks with this movie,as it shys away from gore,and go's into some disturbing weird dream shots,that in the wrong hands just would have fallen flat,but not here,as Blatty proves he's not just a great writter,he is a great artist/director as well.

Saddly Warner's took scissors to this fine movie and tagged on a different ending,that they forced an unwilling Blatty to shoot,his own 20 mintuies of footage is now lost,yet with all the interference it still works.And this is down to fine performances from George C Scott who plays the cop that the late great Lee J Cobb played in the first,and there's Ed Flanders who have the best lines from the very start,as we learn they have been great friends from the first Exorcist,they also love films,there favorite being It's A Wonderful Life,which also has a link in this film?.There's also Brad Dourif who is just chilling in his part of a serial killer??,maybe one of his best roles ever,you have to see this to understand why,i can say no more without giving to much away.Jason Miller back as Father Karras,who yes died in the first,again i'm saying notting about this plot line,for there are many plot lines,"for we are many".Add to the great cast Scott Wilson,Patrick Ewing who also add to this great mix of three dimensional characters,who all add depth to he film,and even Samuel L Jackson turns up as a basket ball coach.

Now i really don't want to give away the plot too much as this could spoil the fun,for those who might not have seen this yet(and if so why not!!!),but believe me this has one of the all time best scare scenes ever put to film.This is a movie that asks you to use your brain,yet still has the old horror movie feel to it,with a great build up and use of fear of what you haven't seen,slow build up,sudden shocks etc.Those who have seen it fall into two groups,those who hate it! and those who love it!and i love it,but make sure you get the region 1 if you can,as it is the most complete version.A great movie for these dark nights,and for me the one and only true sequel to THE EXORCIST,a must see for any horror fan,get it on region 1,for the full 110 minties of brilliant horror except for maybe that last 15 that where added.It's on my wish list for Warners to give us the fully restored remastered full HD sound and vision Blu-Ray.As much as i'd love to see the directors cut,with 20 minties of Blatty's footage returned to this classic,the sad fact is that as far as Blatty knows it was all bined,as he has pushed to get this release once again.But even as it stands it is a classic horror film.and one of the best sequeals ever made,and i just wish Blatty had made more films,he has a unique talent,and is a brilliant screenwriter/writer.9/10
And here's William Peter Blattys only other directed film:

The Ninth Configuration (1980)

Made back in 1980 and based on his own book this is one great overlooked movie,his debut as writer/director and came up with a mind-bending classic. I only know a handful of people who have even heard of this movie, but everyone who gets to see it becomes an instant raving fan.Now it's original running time was 118 minutes,but some versions are cut to 109 and less,like a lot of re issuse's.Now there was a full 140 minute extended version which i would love to get my hands on.The Version i have on DVD is the 118,but to add to the mayhem there are also several different endings,including Kane being killed by bikers,and even a taped on happy ending.It's no wonder Blatty hasn't returned to directing,and yet he is so missed by us fans,i just wish directors would be left alone to do what they do best DIRECT!! 

Colonel Kane (Stacey Keach, Road Games,American History X) is sent to a top secret facility full of military personal suffering from breakdowns, delusions and other mental problems.It's set in an old gothic castle far from the eyes of the public or press,and has that creepy lonely feeling everytime you getthat wide shot.While attempting to find some way to cure them he becomes particularly concerned with a tortured astronaut, Captain Cutshaw (Scott Wilson,Way Of The Gun), and the two form a special, odd relationship. However things are not what they first appear to be, and to give anymore plot points away would be criminal. All I can say is that you're in for one hell of a ride!IE strange weird kind

Keach and Wilson are both outstanding in two of the best roles of their careers, but what really makes this a must-see is a superb supporting cast of character actors who are all equally good, and spout some of the freshest, most memorable dialogue you'll ever hear. Some of them include Robert Loggia ('Lost Highway'), Jason Miller ('The Exorcist'), Tom Atkins ('Maniac Cop'), Moses Gunn ('Rollerball'), Neville Brand ('Eaten Alive'), Joe Spinell ('Maniac') and Richard Lynch ('Open Season'). This movie like Exorcist II makes you use your head and the characters are just as three dimensional too,with a very heay plot,but again never boring.

The film script is very heavy as it combine's philosophy, madness and humour,also has an under lying plot about what is true evil and how we are manilplated by the powers that be.The dalogue is also pretty far out, at its best it's really snappy, clever and absorbing, but there are other times it just stumbles around clumsily and becomes embarrassing instead of clever.But this is definitely a unique film with a lot of rare content, it's easy to see why William Peter Blatty fought so hard to see this film released.Though it got a very limited release and bombed because the studio did not know how to market it,which is no surprise,as it comes across as something which has a deep intellectual feel.There is no doubt that director/writter and all the actors on this film do the source material justice,as it shines through in nearly every scene.7/10

Thanks evil bill for two awesome reviews! Like i said earlier Exorcist III is a film i watched a long time ago hence the story is a little vague. One thing i do remember is Brad Dourif - he has to be one of the most underrated actors in filmdom! I just love his creepy style; he was brilliant in The Lord of the Rings, and really enjoyable to watch and one of the few good things about Alien Resurrection. Its a travesty he didn't win best supporting actor for his excellent turn as Billy Bibbit in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. And of course Exorcist III is another of his best turns - i really need to give this a rewatch especially after reading your superb review.

And thanks for bringing The Ninth Configeration to my attention; it sounds like a gem.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14583
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/11/2012 10:16:41 AM   
Platter

quote:

Theres a terrific moment in the film when Nicholson is standing in the room alone, thinking about a conversation he had with the English bloke when he was alive, and as he looks out toward the desert the camera pans over and you see the guy there, and he's immediately joined by Nicholson's character.

Even better was when the camera pans down to reveal the conversation is coming from a tape recorder and isn't from inside Nicholson's head.

It's not that great a film but it's one that I expect will stay with me for weeks later.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14584
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/11/2012 11:36:04 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

quote:

Theres a terrific moment in the film when Nicholson is standing in the room alone, thinking about a conversation he had with the English bloke when he was alive, and as he looks out toward the desert the camera pans over and you see the guy there, and he's immediately joined by Nicholson's character.

Even better was when the camera pans down to reveal the conversation is coming from a tape recorder and isn't from inside Nicholson's head.

It's not that great a film but it's one that I expect will stay with me for weeks later.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I agree, its one of those films which lingers with you long after you've seen it.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14585
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/11/2012 5:45:09 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Exorcist 3 is one of the most under-rated horror movies ever.

Haven't seen it in many a year, but it's now on my to-watch list.

It really is so under-rated by so many.yet it's one of the best horror films of the 90's,both shocking and well directed,with one of the best casts you coulkd have in any film.
I've been on to a mate and ne's got a copy of Turkey Shoot,so as soon as i get to re-watch it i'll post a review of this excellent Aussie extreme thriller/Sci/Fi film,which i have not watch in a few years,i used to have the VHS tape of it.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14586
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/11/2012 5:57:45 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I agree, its one of those films which lingers with you long after you've seen it.

I forgot to mention a fine review Platter,though i would grade it a bit higher,and yes it sticks in the head long after you watch the film.
quote:

Thanks evil bill for two awesome reviews! Like i said earlier Exorcist III is a film i watched a long time ago hence the story is a little vague. One thing i do remember is Brad Dourif - he has to be one of the most underrated actors in filmdom! I just love his creepy style; he was brilliant in The Lord of the Rings, and really enjoyable to watch and one of the few good things about Alien Resurrection. Its a travesty he didn't win best supporting actor for his excellent turn as Billy Bibbit in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. And of course Exorcist III is another of his best turns - i really need to give this a rewatch especially after reading your superb review.

And thanks for bringing The Ninth Configeration to my attention; it sounds like a gem.

I think it's a shame but most people link Brad Dourif to just the Childs Play films,yet he's acted in some fine films,like those you mentioned,and Eye's Of Laura Mars,Dune,Blue Velvet,and Missisippi Burning to name but a few.Hope you give William Peter Blattys first film a go,it's again a shame he's only linked to The Exorcist,but then what a high water mark,his book is a superb read,in fact far better than what was put on film.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14587
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/11/2012 8:51:29 PM   
dannyfletch

I too can't wait to own The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray
Plus now I have seen and loved the new Bond movie I really can't wait for the excellent Skyfall to be released!

Talking about the Dark Knight Rises, I just watched the new Spiderman movie. I remember quite a few people on here not liking it so I was kind of put off it for a while but was actually pleasantly surprised and found that I rather enjoyed it! Ok so it's no Dark Knight and there wasn't really a need for a reboot as the Sam Raimi versions ( apart from the 3rd one of course! ) where pretty good and where made not that long ago, but I quite like Marc Webb's take on, I felt it had quite a lot of heart and much prefer Andrew Garfield, who suited the part perfectly making a funnier, cockier and much more accurate Spiderman character to the one in the comics. The bad guy could've been better and more evil but I was still entertained and found that Rhys Ifans made the Dr/lizard quite a sim pathetic character in the end.
All in all I found The Amazing Spiderman to be quite a welcome addition the new Marvel movie franchise and brought the character refreshingly back after the abysmal Spiderman 3. One I have now added to my collection and would give a healthy 7.5/10

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 2/12/2012 2:32:50 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14588
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/12/2012 10:48:08 AM   
Platter

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I forgot to mention a fine review Platter,though i would grade it a bit higher,and yes it sticks in the head long after you watch the film.

Yeah, already looking back on it I feel much kinder towards it. If I watch it again in say two years I would expect to up it to 6 or 7 out of 10.

An older review:

Blow-Up (1966)
It's a good solid film even though it has a plot that could be told in 30 minutes. It's not that slow feeling until the last stretch, after the two aspiring models leave, after that it does begin to drag. To call it a masterpiece is to go crazy but it's an enjoyable enough film that doesn't choke on its own pretentions. It also gets bonus points for being lucky enough to be set in a culturally important time and place. It could have done with losing two redundant scenes though - the photoshoot with the five models at the start as we've already seen him do a photoshoot in the previous scene, and the Yardbirds concert also adds nothing of note.

7 out of 10

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14589
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/12/2012 6:38:52 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

I too can't wait to own The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray
Plus now I have seen and loved the new Bond movie I really can't wait for the excellent Skyfall to be released!

Talking about the Dark Knight Rises, I just watched the new Spiderman movie. I remember quite a few people on here not liking it so I was kind of put off it for a while but was actually pleasantly surprised and found that I rather enjoyed it! Ok so it's no Dark Knight and there wasn't really a need for a reboot as the Sam Raimi versions ( apart from the 3rd one of course! ) where pretty good and where made not that long ago, but I quite like Marc Webb's take on, I felt it had quite a lot of heart and much prefer Andrew Garfield, who suited the part perfectly making a funnier, cockier and much more accurate Spiderman character to the one in the comics. The bad guy could've been better and more evil but I was still entertained and found that Rhys Ifans made the Dr/lizard quite a sim pathetic character in the end.
All in all I found The Amazing Spiderman to be quite a welcome addition the new Marvel movie franchise and brought the character refreshingly back after the abysmal Spiderman 3. One I have now added to my collection and would give a healthy 7.5/10

What i liked about The Amazing Spiderman,was the fact it seemed closer to the comics,and Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was the best yet.But i felt i could only rate it a 5/10 which is because the direction and overall feel to it was average,but i'll give it a second chance and get the remtal Blu-Ray out.As for Dark Knight Rises Blu-Ray,well i'm about to watch the making of disc,as it arived this morning,and will then watch the film itself too.Looking forward to SKYFALL on blu-ray,like you i was well impressed by this Bond film,a lot more than i expected,which is always a good thing.

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14590
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/12/2012 7:43:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Yeah, already looking back on it I feel much kinder towards it. If I watch it again in say two years I would expect to up it to 6 or 7 out of 10.

An older review:

Blow-Up (1966)
It's a good solid film even though it has a plot that could be told in 30 minutes. It's not that slow feeling until the last stretch, after the two aspiring models leave, after that it does begin to drag. To call it a masterpiece is to go crazy but it's an enjoyable enough film that doesn't choke on its own pretentions. It also gets bonus points for being lucky enough to be set in a culturally important time and place. It could have done with losing two redundant scenes though - the photoshoot with the five models at the start as we've already seen him do a photoshoot in the previous scene, and the Yardbirds concert also adds nothing of note.

7 out of 10

Short sharp review once again,and very much how i feel about this film,i too could never understand why it was so highly rated,as good a film that it is.Also hope you get to re watch films a bit sooner than two years,though i'm having g a nightmare at the moment getting hold of certain films i said i'd post reviews of,but here's a couple of Aussie cult films to keep things rolling.
Turkey Shoot (1982)

Set in a totalitarian future society,where the government is in total control and obedience to the State is all that is accepted. Anyone who dissents or disobeys is sent to a camp for "deviants" for reprogramming. Camp Thatcher.There, they are hunted for sport by the leaders of the camp,but the latest arrivals to camp warden Thatcher's terror camp are the spirited fighter Paul Anders, the uneasy Chris Walters and the game Rita Daniels.

This film was also known as Escape 2000 and Blood Camp Thatcher,and on release back in 1982 caused a lot of shocked critics to pan off the film as tripe,full of gore for gore sake.The whole plot of rehabilitation and behavior modification camp reminded me of Clockwork Orange,but with more violence,blood,gore and torture in this uncut 90-minute version i've been watching,which is a copy from an old Anchor Bay dvd release.The extremely gory effects are in truth a bit naff in places,but there are some excellent bits of mayhem,for example machete in head moments,a man-beast/werewolf ruin's into with a steel plow,and we see his torso separated from his still kicking legs,and many more moments like this keep us gore hounds happy.In fact it just piles on so many crazy moments,i would not have the time to list them,but you'll never call this film boring that's for sure.

Director Brian Trenchard-Smith got the finance for this film from the Australian film board,and like Shivers by David Croneberg,who got his money from the Canadian film board,i wonder if they knew what they where paying for.For this director throws all caution to the wind in this low budget sci/fi auctioneer,which owes a lot to The Most Dangerous Game,1984 and Mad Max.Well more Mad Max to be honest with fast pacing,lot's of pyrotechnics and no let up in the extreme violence,with a lot of black humor.Where it falls short is the plot/story which is very haphazard,and bounces all over the place,also the acting is pure ham most of the time.For a film that is of this age,it may look a bit dated,but overall i feel the director dose an exceptional job with great use of the vast sprawling landscape of Queens island Australia.Very good use of his small budget,with everything neatly shot,great editing which i believe he did mainly on camera to save money.Like Mad Max it get's very chessy but you remain glued to the mayhem on screen,and unlike Clockwork Orange there's no hidden messages about the world and how shit things are.Another link to Mad Max is the fact he uses Brian May to score the films soundtrack,with it's throbbing electronic music score,which is faultless as it swings thought the various scenes and moods of this film.So overall yes there are some silly things that are thrown in,and some dire dialogue,but as cheesy as it is,it's a fun ride of a cult classic and very entertaining.7/10

And here's the film that inspired Mad Max from the land down under too.

STONE (1974)

Members of the Grave Diggers Motorcycle Club are being knocked off one by one, and someone needs to find out why.Sydney detective Stone (Ken Shorter) is sent to investigate. Led by the Undertaker (Sandy Harbutt), a Vietnam war veteran, the GraveDiggers allow Stone to pose as a gang member.Amid violent confrontations with the Black Hawks, a rival gang the GraveDiggers hold responsible, Stone uncovers a political conspiracy behind the killings. When the truth is revealed, Stone must choose between his job and his loyalty to the Grave Diggers.

Writer/director/producer and actor (in this)Sandy Harbutts awesome Australian cult film about a bunch of biker outlaws riding Kawasaki 900s back in the crazy 70's.It was advertised back in the 80's VHS rental,as "before Mad Max There was Stone".Well forget that it's not a sci/fi film,the only link is the fact there's lot's of motorbikes and a cop involved,but this is more about a pretty realistic look at the 1970s Aussie outlaw biker scene.Forget the acting too it's at best well about  average,though a few members of the supporting cast went on to bigger and better things,e.g Helen Morse,Picnic At Hanging Rock etc. Bill Hunter,Muriels Wedding etc, but most of the major players were biker pals of Harbutt and have disappeared from the Australian acting industry. Ken Shorter(Stone) the lead,after a turn in Disney's Dragonslayer went into TV shows,and vanished.

Stone was a labour of love for adman turned actor Sandy Harbutt,who had a few minor parts before deciding to direct/produce and write his own film.A real biker enthusiast who took four years to get the script written by he and his pal Michael Robinson who plays Pinball in the movie.Filmed on a shoestring budget,during October and November 1973,it took only five weeks to film,yet it has some great stand out moments like the motorbike chase through Sidney with on board cameras done for real at high speed.Mad Max copyed this for it's awesome stunts,all done at high speed also,with cameras on board for added madness.There's also four hundred real bikers who participated as extras in the famous highway funeral procession sequence seen at the beginning of this film,it's bloody awesome.As i've already mentioned they used real bikers who had colorful names like Bad Max, Blue, Boots, Buzzard, Captain Midnight, Dr Death, Euridyce, Ferret, Go Down, Hooks, Karma, Midnight, Pinball, Scrag, Septic, 69, Skunk, Stinkfinger, Sunshine, Tiger, Toad, Undertaker and Zonk.It was a phenomenal box-office success in Australia,yet it was Sandy Harbutt first and only feature film.For the Australian Film Board who put up the money,refused to fund another film by him,they felt it was just another trashy nasty film.Imagine if the Canadian film Board had done the same thing with David Croneberg after Shivers,which they too where upset about,yet it too was a huge hit,so they backed a winner,and turned a blind eye(paper bag in hand)to his excess violence/gore.

Overall you could pick holes in the script the acting even the direction,but he two road scenes,like the chase with it's on board shots,and low-angle shot of the bike's racing through the streets of Sidney.Then the helicopter view of the funeral procession down the main road to Sidney can both rightfully be called a classic Road movie moments,and yes it must have inspired the makers of Mad Max.It was also extremely gory and violent for it's time,and some incredible bike stunts like a Kawasaki Z900 doing a wheel stand,and the motorbike flying off the 100FT cliff .Plus there's some fantastic locations in and around Sydney,and full frontal nudity(male and Female HR),beer, LSD, marijuana,in large amounts which i'm sure where taken by the cast and crew?.So a cult classic Road/Stoner film from the land of OZ,worth the viewing if you really like pure cult films of the 70's.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 3/12/2012 8:39:38 PM >

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14591
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 5:51:29 PM   
dannyfletch

Yeah, I'm a big Bond fan ( I even quite enjoyed QOS even though it did feel rushed) and Skyfall now ranks in my top 3 Bond films. I very much like the new approach and Javier Bardem was fantastic as the bad guy. So glad Daniel Craig has signed up for another 2

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14592
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 8:23:41 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

I may as well post this....the wife has dragged me to all of these

Despite having some characters who boast special powers like being able to influence people's thoughts and firing black ectoplasmic 'stuff', these powers are not actually used during the fight and everyone just hits each other and throws each other around, while the camera operator obviously has trouble filming what is happening. As usual, the perverse but all-too-common idea that you shouldn't really see action dominates here. I will say that there are an inordinate amount of heads cut off, but the CGI effects are lousy. Once again, the wolves look awful and during some scenes I kept thinking of films like An American Werewolf In Paris and wondering if there has been much progress at all in that area.

Bill Condon [what on earth has happened to the director of Gods And Monsters?] just doesn't seem to have much of a handle on the material. Perhaps he realised he couldn't do much with it. The acting is as weak as usual. Stewart actually cracks the odd smile here and there but still doesn't really appear to be actually alive. Pattinson tries to get by on silent movie-style hammy expressions. Lautner, as usual, is made of wood. Michael Sheen is a decent villain though, almost single-handedly creating a bit of fear, though it seems like he's acting in a far better film than this one. Of course you get the obligatory 'emo' pop songs throughout which may just make you want to kill yourself. Carter Burwell's music score is rather good and the film looks good when it isn't relying on the special effects, with some decent outdoor photography. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part Two ends with images of Bella and Edward's love from all the films. It's supposed to be moving and beautiful. I wasn't touched, but I was very happy. Because "IT'S OVER”!!!

Rating: 2.5/10

Now because it's a 12A my young daughter is trying to get me (daddy) to take her to see this,as she knows i love horror films,but i pointed out there's a far better film i will take her to see The Hobbit."But Daddy you love horror films",my reply"yes i like horror films with horror in them,not a horror for me to sit through"
Your a brave man to admit you went because,She That Must Be Obeyed Said So,most of us just don't admit it.
Great review anyway,and though i have to say i liked the first film,i lost interest after number two big time.

Ha ha LOVE IT! And nice to see a review of Turkey Shoot too, am quite a fan of this Aussie shocker which always seems to be slagged off by the masses,always reminds me of The Most Dangerous Game and the Van Damme variant Hard Target. Actually not seen Stone, nor believe it or not Ninth Configuration,alwaysbeen one of those films I've missed, though it sounds like TOTALLY my cup of tea

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14593
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 8:24:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

The Passenger (1975)

Watchable existential road movie
NOTE: I'm unsure if I saw the original edit or the extended 2005 version.

David Locke (Jack Nicholson) is a reporter who is tired of it all. In a remote part of Africa he comes across the dead body of a man in a hotel room. He decides to swap identities with the deceased. He finds that the man has an appointment book, so Locke decides to keep the meetings in it.

Not a lot happens at a fairly slow pace. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere specific, but it pulled the rug out from under me with a circular poetic ending that was satisfying and kind of meaningful in a pretentious, don't think too much about it way.

The opening is a bit bumpy and challenging. It really doesn't make any effort to be overtly appealing and audience friendly. After he discovers the body the film picks up and is sort of enjoyable. Or at least as much as a movie like this can be. It was not designed to be straightforward entertainment as the intention was clearly to make a slow, meandering, hollow art movie. The movie is all about tone and mood with little regard for telling a conventional story.

I was going along with the flow and I didn't mind the film until the last half hour. There is only so much vagueness I can take before it starts to stretch my patience. My usually complaint with these type of movies is that they could do with being as short as possible. The story can be told just as effectively at 80-90 minutes as it can over two hours. The film falls into this category. Some pruning wouldn't have done any harm. Movies don't need to be slow to signify that they are important and saying something.

The last half hour was hard going but the last seven minutes are impressive. It was cleverly conceived and filmed with a bit of surreal poetry to it.

The characters are very disconnected, which is the point. They are very sketchy with little to no dialogue to say to each other. Basically it's your typical say something by saying nothing art movie. The dialogue scenes never really get going, leaving whole relationships massively underdeveloped; and the gun-running subplot barely gets started.

It's not technically a well made movie. I watched a high definition TV broadcast and the film looked cheap, nasty and dirty. The camera pans are very creaky. It's like the tripod needed a good squirt of WD40. Visually I was reminded of the Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood Dollars trilogy. The dusty isolated towns and the dubbed on later soundtrack are very reminiscent of those films.

The soundtrack is very odd. The ambient sounds (wind, trees rustling, office and street noises, traffic etc) are very high in the audio mix. It's a very noisy movie because of this. Also the sound effects are loud so they have an exaggerated unreality to them. I don't remember hearing any music in the film.

It was alright. It could have been significantly better and more entertaining. There are a bunch of interesting ideas in it (his wife chasing after him, how the film ends) but the story barely gets going. It's an existential film from an existential director so I knew what I was letting myself in for. I just feel the plot could have been better developed, the pace tightened (and the running time reduced) and that the characters could have been allowed to talk to each other for more than a few inconclusive terse words.

I didn't mind the film for the first ninety minutes. The last half hour was a bit of a crawl but the ending was worth it. The tone and feel of the film makes it worth seeing. As I said, I really like the ending. On balance I would say it was alright, but not something I can get excited by. There are good and bad things about the film. Overall the bad is more prominent than the good. I would describe the movie as below average.

The only other Michelangelo Antonioni movie I've seen is Blow Up (1966). I think The Passenger is the weaker film of the two.

4 out of 10 stars

One of your best reviews there, and another supposed arthouse classic I've yet to see.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14594
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 8:26:38 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Yeah, I'm a big Bond fan ( I even quite enjoyed QOS even though it did feel rushed) and Skyfall now ranks in my top 3 Bond films. I very much like the new approach and Javier Bardem was fantastic as the bad guy. So glad Daniel Craig has signed up for another 2

So am I, though I thought Skyfall a bit disappointing; good, but nowhere as good as many are saying. Just didn't feel...well, 'Bondian' enough for me.Of course I'll still buy it, and it was miles better than the horrid Quantum Of Solace!

Post #: 14595
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 8:35:15 PM   
Dr Lenera

Ok Bill me old pal, you've asked for it

Traumatised by repressed memories of the time when she was possessed by a demon called Pazuzu, Regan McNeil becomes a patient at a place for troubled children. It’s run by Dr. Gene Tuskin, who has invented a device that can hypnotise two people and link their minds together. Meanwhile Father Philip Lamont is ordered by his cardinal to investigate the death of Father Merrin, a priest who had died whilst performing an exorcism on Regan. Philip finds Regan while she is using the mind device with Gene, and sees that Regan still lurks within her. Regan starts having dreams of flying in Africa and Philip sets off for Ethiopia to find out more……….

I remember distinctly when I first watched Exorcist 2:The Heretic. I was about sixteen and had not long obtained and watched a bootleg video of The Exorcist, a film that, as we all know, was banned from home viewing for many years. Of course that movie blew me away, despite the fact that the copy was of very poor quality. I had read several times that its sequel [this was three or four years before the third movie in the series was made] was absolutely appalling. My stepdad had a book called The Golden Turkey Awards, and it had Exorcist 2 as the second worst film ever made [the worst was Plan Nine From Outer Space, which undoubtably is awful but also happens to be loads of fun]. Reading the bit about Exorcist 2, it did seem that the movie was bad. I had to see the movie, and hired out the video. I was surprised to find that, not only was it not nearly as bad as that book and others had made out, it was also, in place,s quite good. I’m certainly not going to make a claim for it as an unheralded masterpiece, it is certainly something of a mess and doesn’t really work all the time. However, for me to even say it’s ‘quite good’ probably makes me insane. I’m sure my fellow reviewers on this website, who I think can’t stand the movie, probably think I’m insane for saying that, but I don’t care. In my opinion Exorcist 2 deserves its place amidst the other three films in the series as a uniquely different and rather brave take on the premise, even if it’s somewhat separate from them- the third and fourth movies [both versions] totally ignored this one, even if the fourth one [in both versions] used the idea of an African boy being possessed.

When neither William Peter Blatty the writer nor William Friedkin the director wanted to do a sequel, Warner Bros had the idea of doing a really low budget film which would be about a priest interviewing people concerned with the exorcism in the first movie and would flash back to unused footage. This notion was thankfully thrown away when playwright William Goodhart wrote a screen play which made use of many of the ideas of Pierre Tielhard de Chardin, a Jesuit archaeologist who inspired the character of Father Merrin from the first film. William O’Malley’s Father Joseph Dyer was going to be the ‘hero’ but the actor was unavailable. Director John Boorman had turned down The Exorcist, calling it ‘repulsive’, but liked the ‘positive’ elements in the second film’s initial script and happily signed on. Endless problems included Goodhart bailing out when Boorman’s usual collaborator Rospo Pallenberg was brought on by the director to help rewrite the script, which ended up being changed day to day, Linda Blair refusing to wear the makeup she had previously worn [this was eventually got around by using shots, some of them unused, from film number one], production being cancelled for a month when Boorman caught a fever, editor John Merritt quiting, and some footage coming out over-saturated causing reshoots. The premiere met with such a negative reaction that Boorman recut the 118 minute film down to a 110 minute version for general release. He deleted some scenes and parts of scenes, added a few shots from The Exorcist and a shot of gore, changed the beginning, changed the ending from a positive one to a slightly more negative one and used some different, unused music cues. It didn’t work, as audiences and critics alike disliked the picture and it was a huge flop.

Does all this negative reaction mean that it has to automatically be a bad film? No! Straight away this has a different feel to The Exorcist. Instead of that movie’s almost documentary realism in its build up to its horror, we have a more dreamlike feel, as if things are off-kilter straight immediately. Much of the film’s first half is set in the unnamed psychiatric place for children, and it’s quite extraordinary, seemingly made out of steel and lots and lots of mirrors, which allow Boorman and his cinematographer William A.Fraker to play lots of eerie games with characters appearing in reflection, characters seemingly appearing ‘inside’ others and characters never seeming to be alone – there’s always someone that can be seen through a window or mirror in the background. There’s one superb scene where Regan, Gene and Philip are in the middle of the frame, a flashback shot of Merrin and Regan seems to appear around them and the possessed Regan in the old shot appears to touch Gene. The pace is very slow, but no slower than that of the previous movie, and though Regan seems to have certain powers, this is kept nicely low key. Soon we shift more and more to Africa, with lots of terrific sequences where the camera swoops over what seems to be almost a fairytale land, and indeed Ethiopia in this movie is depicted as an almost mythical place of lost cities, mystical medicine men, lots and lots of locusts, and a perpetual orange sky.

Yes, all this goes very far away from The Exorcist, and as the movie becomes a strange kind of adventure with Philip going on a quest, I can see why many people were disappointed and confused, but just because it’s different doesn’t immediately mean that it is bad, and there’s a great deal of imagination at work here, not to mention one of the best ‘blimey, it was a dream” segments ever. When Philip is back in America and things move towards the climax, Regan’s increasing evil power is economically shown. Our protagonists are driving and they keep passing signs of deaths with ambulances, police and the like. The climax, set in Regan’s old house, is a little lame, and there is some atrocious dialogue in this movie, such as this gem – Father Lamont:”when the wings have brushed you, is there no hope when the wings have brushed you?”. Pazuzu:”No, when the wings have brushed you, you’re mine”. Pallenberg’s dialogue for Boorman’s movies was often like this in films and can almost work for films like Zardoz and Excalibur, but certainly doesn’t here, it’s just bizarre and sometimes funny.

The story sends its hero to Africa and has him scaling mountains ,climbing down gorges and walking on spikes only to be told that Good and Evil are fighting inside Regan, something he could have probably worked out for himself. Now one of the most common criticisms of Exorcist 2 is of the editing – scenes suddenly end, seem to cut in half way through, really long scenes alternate with ten second ones etc. It seems to me to be a stylistic choice, an attempt to give the film an unusual feel, rather than carelessness. At times it’s almost avant garde, in the manner of Jean Luc-Godard! One thing the film certainly isn’t, is scary, which is probably the other major reason for its poor reception, but then I don’t think it even tries to be scary. You have to admire Boorman’s gall for making his sequel to The Exorcist a metaphysical thriller with virtually no blood or swearing!

As he often was, especially in the second half of his career, Richard Burton, in a role that was offered to Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, Jon Voight and David Carradine, is obviously pissed during many of this scenes- at times, he really looks glazed, but criticisms of his performance as being overly hammy aren’t entirely warranted to me. He acts as many people would when faced with the stuff he encounters. As for Linda Blair, she’s okay but the script doesn’t really give her much to work with. After seeing the film, we don’t feel we know Regan any more than we did at the end of the first movie. A real hero of Exorcist 2 is composer Ennio Morricone ,who , as he often did in horror films he scored, uses very innovative and downright scary sounds and instrument combinations, here often with an element of African tribal music. By contrast, he also wrote a lovely theme for Regan, though it’s maybe overused towards the end. Exorcist 2 is a wierd combination of very good and very poor, but I consider it certainly better than Exorcist 4:The Beginning and a more interesting [and note, I mean more interesting, rather than better] film than Exorcist 3. I hope that one day its reputation will improve and more people will be willing to succumb to its delights, because delights it certainly has, even if,overall, it is still something of a failure.

Rating: 6.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14596
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 9:14:48 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Put it away, send it back to Hell where it belongs!!! Awful film!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14597
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/12/2012 9:39:28 PM   
Mister Coe

Evil Bill, you summed up what I love about TURKEY SHOOT better than I ever could... classic exploitation cinema! Did you check out NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD? I think you'd like it...

And Dr Lenera... I saw Exorcist 2 about 20 years ago and I think I hated it, but your reviews are so good that I am now driven to seek it out again! Please keep 'em coming!

I think I'm going to try my luck at posting a review of some 80's classic... I've mentioned LIFEFORCE on a couple of other forums, saw it for the first time in many a year the other night... yeah, that's the one. I'll get back to you...

(starts furiously typing on his laptop to try and come up with a decent review...)

Say what now?

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14598
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 4:04:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

It may not be the best film in the trilogy, but that is still an awesome review for The Exorcist II, Dr. Lenera! And i too also feel like giving this a rewatch after reading it! Thanks.

EDIT; I said trilogy but there was quite obviously a fourth film aswell!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/12/2012 9:06:44 AM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14599
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 7:36:50 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Ok Bill me old pal, you've asked for it

Does all this negative reaction mean that it has to automatically be a bad film? No! Straight away this has a different feel to The Exorcist. Instead of that movie's almost documentary realism in its build up to its horror, we have a more dreamlike feel, as if things are off-kilter straight immediately. Much of the film's first half is set in the unnamed psychiatric place for children, and it's quite extraordinary, seemingly made out of steel and lots and lots of mirrors, which allow Boorman and his cinematographer William A.Fraker to play lots of eerie games with characters appearing in reflection,
Yes, all this goes very far away from The Exorcist, and as the movie becomes a strange kind of adventure with Philip going on a quest, I can see why many people were disappointed and confused, but just because it's different doesn't immediately mean that it is bad, and there's a great deal of imagination at work here, not to mention one of the best 'blimey, it was a dream” segments ever. When Philip is back in America and things move towards the climax, Regan's increasing evil power is economically shown. Our protagonists are driving and they keep passing signs of deaths with ambulances, police and the like. The climax, set in Regan's old house, is a little lame, and there is some atrocious dialogue in this movie, 

Now one of the most common criticisms of Exorcist 2 is of the editing – scenes suddenly end, seem to cut in half way through, really long scenes alternate with ten second ones etc. It seems to me to be a stylistic choice, an attempt to give the film an unusual feel, rather than carelessness. At times it's almost avant garde, in the manner of Jean Luc-Godard! One thing the film certainly isn't, is scary, which is probably the other major reason for its poor reception, but then I don't think it even tries to be scary. You have to admire Boorman's gall for making his sequel to The Exorcist a metaphysical thriller with virtually no blood or swearing!

As he often was, especially in the second half of his career, Richard Burton, in a role that was offered to Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, Jon Voight and David Carradine, is obviously pissed during many of this scenes- at times, he really looks glazed, but criticisms of his performance as being overly hammy aren't entirely warranted to me. He acts as many people would when faced with the stuff he encounters. As for Linda Blair, she's okay but the script doesn't really give her much to work with. After seeing the film, we don't feel we know Regan any more than we did at the end of the first movie. A real hero of Exorcist 2 is composer Ennio Morricone ,who , as he often did in horror films he scored, uses very innovative and downright scary sounds and instrument combinations, here often with an element of African tribal music. By contrast, he also wrote a lovely theme for Regan, though it's maybe overused towards the end. Exorcist 2 is a wierd combination of very good and very poor, but I consider it certainly better than Exorcist 4:The Beginning and a more interesting [and note, I mean more interesting, rather than better] film than Exorcist 3. I hope that one day its reputation will improve and more people will be willing to succumb to its delights, because delights it certainly has, even if,overall, it is still something of a failure.

Rating: 6.5/10

Wow,before i rant,what an awesome review for a much misunderstood film,and yes i said misunderstood,because as bad as i know it is it has a few good point's that you pointed out.I agree with you that visualy it looks stunning at times,and that even Burton is pretty good here drunk as usual ,but hey he was a mate of Oliver Reed.Linda was never going to be a great actor,and Boorman knew this,which is why i belive he avoided giveing her to many lines and scenes.I still struggle to like this film,and it's lack of scares,pretty awful script,all work againest it,and yes it has the hallmark of a Boorman film,but a very weak one,we all know he can deliver great thrills like in Deliverance,and that was with The Bandit IE Burt who himself would admit not to being a good actor,but he acts his heart out in this,due to the director Boorman's skill.Now yes it's called Hertic and aims to be different to The Exorcist,and maybe like Exorcist III,where Blatty wanted it called LEGION like his book,he was forced to use The Exorcist title.But in truth he knew he was in at the deep end,and trying to be different only works when you break completely from the mould.Maybe it would have worked better without Linda,or maybe the cuts ruined it,but it fails as a horror film,fails as a thriller,and fails as a drama.But i do belive it should be seen for some great images,and then the guys and girls who vist this thread can decide for themselfs.But for me i watched this once at the Cinema back in 1980 as a double bill with tThe Exorcist,and again in the late 80's on VHS,and both times i felt it was naff.Last time i tryed to watch it was on late night TV,i think it was channel 4,and i fell asleep before it ended,it just bores me to death,and i struggle to give it more than 4/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14600
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 8:43:23 PM   
dannyfletch

I'm not going to agree with you on Quantum, I feel that it's just a different Bond film, Bond in revenge mode and no time for love making. Plus it has an awesome opening scene with one of the best car chases in a Bond movie. However it is certainly the weaker of the 3 Craig Bond's so far. I feel it is getting a similar reaction to what the under rated Timothy Dalton Bond movie Licence to Kill did ( which happens to be one of my favourites ). As for Skyfall, I think it brings an awesome breath of fresh air and is actually very Bond like if you compare it to Fleming's books. It has also set things up perfectly for the next installments, I'm just hoping that Mendes or another strong director like Kathryn Bigelow will be in charge.

Nice review of Exorcist 2 by the way it has now made me curious to seek it out again and re-evaluate!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 5/12/2012 8:45:12 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14601
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 8:43:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Evil Bill, you summed up what I love about TURKEY SHOOT better than I ever could... classic exploitation cinema! Did you check out NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD? I think you'd like it...

And Dr Lenera... I saw Exorcist 2 about 20 years ago and I think I hated it, but your reviews are so good that I am now driven to seek it out again! Please keep 'em coming!

I think I'm going to try my luck at posting a review of some 80's classic... I've mentioned LIFEFORCE on a couple of other forums, saw it for the first time in many a year the other night... yeah, that's the one. I'll get back to you...

(starts furiously typing on his laptop to try and come up with a decent review...)

Yeah go for it that's what this thread is for,we don't snipe at  bad spelling or whatever,we only get hot under the collor when a much loved film gets a kicking for no other reason than"I Just Don't Understand what It's About"well if it's weird/strange we don't care,we like MINDMELTING films or just plain crazy.
Here's ye old review folks.
LIFEFORCE (1985)

The space shuttle Churchill has been sent to investigate Halley's Comet when they detect something hiding inside the coma of the giant rock. A small team, led by Colonel Carlsen (Steve Railsback), has been sent to search the area. What they discover includes hundreds of frozen bat-like creatures and three nude and seemingly unconscious humanoid beings inside strange crystalline containers, two male and one female (Mathilda May).The humans from the spacecraft suddenly awake and all those who come into contact with them are drained of their "lifeforce" and in time all the victims - including most of the population of London - are turned into zombies all preying on the horrified survivors for their "lifeforce". It's up to Carlsen and Major Caine of the SAS to stop them before the whole world turns into a big blood-hunt.

Lifeforce was Tobe Hooper's first science fiction film and the script was written by Dan O'Bannon(Alien,Return of the Living Dead and Dead And Buried) and Don Jakoby(Blue Thunder), based on Colin Wilson's 1976 novel, The Space Vampires.It has everything a good Horror Sci/Fi film should have,but maybe just to much,and was trimmed for it's release in the US,as nudity in the 80's still caused censor problems.Tobe hooper directs this one with a real powerful driving force,with great images and editing,that show off his skills in a way we haven't seen before.He had a three picture deal with Cannon Films, which reportedly spent nearly $25 million in hopes of creating a blockbuster,but it bombed,as it was just to violent,gory and to much nudity for the US market at the time.Now as some will know Species is very silmar in manny ways,but it was better received as modern cinema fans now want a lot more sex/violence in there Sci/Fi and horror.Which is a shame for it's a great thrill ride of a film,with excellent effects by John Dykstra (Star Wars,2001 etc),superb amount of blood and gore,and one of the most sexist/nude vampires ever to hit the screen.

But the acting range from decent to pure ham for ham sake,the worst is easily Steve Railsback,who  is  hilariously over-the-top,and hams it to the limit. Much better in his part of Agent Caine is Peter Firth, who comes nearly steals the show ,looking and sounding convincingly good.Which i can't say for good old  Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame,in a role that he's probably a bit embarrassed by these days,ohh i can feel his pain.But the gorgeous Mathilda May as the female vampire,is beautiful,sexy,creepy seductive,and goes through virtually the whole film without wearing clothing,and never looks uncomfortable which is impressive.She is far more convincing as an alien vampire?than Natasha Henstridge in Species,and hotter,in fact she seals the show

Lifeforce is one of the strange/weird films that i know a lot of folk won't like,yet even as bad as some of the acting is,the script is disjointed,and the fact that it looks to 80's looking for todays viewers,and some of the lines are so ridiculous Yet it' never ever the least bit dull due to the nonstop nudity, the large amount of violence/gore and action, it all comes together to make an entertaining bizarre horror Sci/Fi from a director who seems to be remembered only for THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.If you like large amounts of female nudity in your sci/fi,with a good splash of blood and gore,and feel to many films look great but are no fun to sit through,well this ticks the fun ride box big time,enjoy with a few mates,and a couple of beers.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 5/12/2012 8:48:27 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14602
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 8:57:44 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I'm not going to agree with you on Quantum, I feel that it's just a different Bond film, Bond in revenge mode and no time for love making. Plus it has an awesome opening scene with one of the best car chases in a Bond movie. However it is certainly the weaker of the 3 Craig Bond's so far. I feel it is getting a similar reaction to what the under rated Timothy Dalton Bond movie Licence to Kill did ( which happens to be one of my favourites ). As for Skyfall, I think it brings an awesome breath of fresh air and is actually very Bond like if you compare it to Fleming's books. It has also set things up perfectly for the next installments, I'm just hoping that Mendes or another strong director like Kathryn Bigelow will be in charge.

Nice review of Exorcist 2 by the way it has now made me curious to seek it out again and re-evaluate!

I'm very much in agreement with you about Quantum Of Solace,it is the weaker of Craigs Bond films so far but far better than a lot of the others.Skyfall for me is now my second favoritie 007 film of all time,and i've already pre ordered it,plus it's the first time ever i've gone to see a Bond film twice.And i hope we see another big name well skillede director take on a Bond film and stay close to the books like Skyfall has,in the way bond is protrayed by Craig.Plus yesTimothy Dalton as Bond in his best movie Licence to Kill,is so underated yet it's a wonderful film,and he made a fine 007.

Post #: 14603
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 9:17:41 PM   
dannyfletch

Glad to hear a bit of love for Quantum it is far better than Moonraker or the dire Die Another Day!
Timothy Dalton was indeed a fine Bond, brought a human and very likeable touch to the character and made two great Bond movies.
Skyfall could be a possible second best with me too, my favourite top 3 are On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love and Skyfall. I'm just having a tough time deciding what order they would go in!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14604
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 9:34:54 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

Yeah go for it that's what this thread is for,we don't snipe at  bad spelling or whatever,we only get hot under the collor when a much loved film gets a kicking for no other reason than"I Just Don't Understand what It's About"well if it's weird/strange we don't care,we like MINDMELTING films or just plain crazy.
LIFEFORCE (1985)

The space shuttle Churchill has been sent to investigate Halley's Comet when they detect something hiding inside the coma of the giant rock. A small team, led by Colonel Carlsen (Steve Railsback), has been sent to search the area. What they discover includes hundreds of frozen bat-like creatures and three nude and seemingly unconscious humanoid beings inside strange crystalline containers, two male and one female (Mathilda May).The humans from the spacecraft suddenly awake and all those who come into contact with them are drained of their "lifeforce" and in time all the victims - including most of the population of London - are turned into zombies all preying on the horrified survivors for their "lifeforce". It's up to Carlsen and Major Caine of the SAS to stop them before the whole world turns into a big blood-hunt.

Lifeforce was Tobe Hooper's first science fiction film and the script was written by Dan O'Bannon(Alien,Return of the Living Dead and Dead And Buried) and Don Jakoby(Blue Thunder), based on Colin Wilson's 1976 novel, The Space Vampires.It has everything a good Horror Sci/Fi film should have,but maybe just to much,and was trimmed for it's release in the US,as nudity in the 80's still caused censor problems.Tobe hooper directs this one with a real powerful driving force,with great images and editing,that show off his skills in a way we haven't seen before.He had a three picture deal with Cannon Films, which reportedly spent nearly $25 million in hopes of creating a blockbuster,but it bombed,as it was just to violent,gory and to much nudity for the US market at the time.Now as some will know Species is very silmar in manny ways,but it was better received as modern cinema fans now want a lot more sex/violence in there Sci/Fi and horror.Which is a shame for it's a great thrill ride of a film,with excellent effects by John Dykstra (Star Wars,2001 etc),superb amount of blood and gore,and one of the most sexist/nude vampires ever to hit the screen.

But the acting range from decent to pure ham for ham sake,the worst is easily Steve Railsback,who  is  hilariously over-the-top,and hams it to the limit. Much better in his part of Agent Caine is Peter Firth, who comes nearly steals the show ,looking and sounding convincingly good.Which i can't say for good old  Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame,in a role that he's probably a bit embarrassed by these days,ohh i can feel his pain.But the gorgeous Mathilda May as the female vampire,is beautiful,sexy,creepy seductive,and goes through virtually the whole film without wearing clothing,and never looks uncomfortable which is impressive.She is far more convincing as an alien vampire?than Natasha Henstridge in Species,and hotter,in fact she seals the show

Lifeforce is one of the strange/weird films that i know a lot of folk won't like,yet even as bad as some of the acting is,the script is disjointed,and the fact that it looks to 80's looking for todays viewers,and some of the lines are so ridiculous Yet it' never ever the least bit dull due to the nonstop nudity, the large amount of violence/gore and action, it all comes together to make an entertaining bizarre horror Sci/Fi from a director who seems to be remembered only for THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.If you like large amounts of female nudity in your sci/fi,with a good splash of blood and gore,and feel to many films look great but are no fun to sit through,well this ticks the fun ride box big time,enjoy with a few mates,and a couple of beers.7/10

Aw, you did a LIFEFORCE review that was better than the one was trying to write...

No matter, mate, let me shift through my movie memories and find something interesting...

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14605
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 10:02:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

LIFEFORCE (1985)

Aw, you did a LIFEFORCE review that was better than the one was trying to write...

No matter, mate, let me shift through my movie memories and find something interesting...

Don't you try and slip out of this one, lets here your thoughts on this one, you can do it as short as LH or as long as the Dr, but at least give it a try

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14606
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/12/2012 10:07:04 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Glad to hear a bit of love for Quantum it is far better than Moonraker or the dire Die Another Day!
Timothy Dalton was indeed a fine Bond, brought a human and very likeable touch to the character and made two great Bond movies.
Skyfall could be a possible second best with me too, my favourite top 3 are On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love and Skyfall. I'm just having a tough time deciding what order they would go in!

Ok top 3 for me
1/ On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2/ Skyfall
3/ Thunderball

Post #: 14607
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 12:09:53 AM   
dannyfletch

A good top 3. I love Thunderball too, it's an underrated Connery Bond which I prefer to Goldfinger. Has some excellent under water battles too! I recently purchased the 50th anniversary blu-ray box set. If you don't own it then I strongly recommend it. All excellent transfers with tons of great extras!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14608
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 10:30:08 AM   
Platter

quote:

Maybe it would have worked better without Linda,or maybe the cuts ruined it,but it fails as a horror film,fails as a thriller,and fails as a drama.

Last time i tryed to watch it was on late night TV,i think it was channel 4,and i fell asleep before it ended,it just bores me to death,and i struggle to give it more than 4/10

I question your rating system. This does not sound like 4 out of 10 going from what you wrote. 4 for me means below average. What you described sounds more like crap. So either 2 for it's a no fun at all piece of crap that was hard to endure. Or 3 for it was crap but harmless and inoffensive enough.

I saw Heretic about ten years ago. From memory I would give it 2 out of 10. It was crap. And the visuals, which some people praise, were awful. The fake Africa is stunningly ugly.

Out of curiosity, to everyone on this thread, how does your rating system work?

Mine is something like this:

10 - Near perfect. Very few flaws or niggles. Very little could be done to improve upon it. Great entertainment.
9 - Great.
8 - Very good.
7 - Good.
6 - Above average.
5 - Average. Neither particularly good or bad.
4 - Below average.
3 - Bad, but watchable and not without some merit.
2 - Very bad.
1- Worthless. Hard or very difficult to watch. No fun at all. I will rarely finish a movie this bad.

PS Last night I watched Scott Pilgrim for something like the seventh time in two years. A 10 out of 10 classic. It's a future Blade Runner style cult movie.

Also I followed it up with its ambient twin Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist (8 out of 10). My brother says the short book (which he's read maybe three times) is much better than the film. I tried to read the book about a year ago but I thought the film was superior. The constant chapter switching between the point of views of the lead characters was more annoying than good. I gave up about halfway into the book.

< Message edited by Platter -- 6/12/2012 10:37:18 AM >

My novel:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14609
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/12/2012 3:42:18 PM   
losthighway

Back again! Been to see SIGHTSEERS... It was amusing at times with some moments of extreme gore. Certainly a vast improvement on Wheatley's last effort (Kill List), which was dire imho. I imagine the films saving grace was Wright's involvement and although this fact, and the ending being signposted around the 3/4 mark, it's still worth a visit to the cinema. Overall: 3/5

I've also bought a few Arrow BRs... ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (I cancelled the steelbook edition and opted for the Ltd Ed slipcase version exclusively off Arrow's website)... Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE (£6 on Amazon UK, never seen it before, seemed a bargain)... HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY Ltd Ed slipcase version (£8.95 on Zavvi).

I've also posted in the DVD Discussion area but if anyone on here owns this version of Cemetary, can you let me know if the picture is as dire as everyone says or to the casual viewer (like myself), would it quite easily be forgiven for tech issues I know sod all about!?

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14610
Page:   <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI