Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 11:51:28 AM   
dannyfletch

Ok, didn't realise it was cut but it certainly didn't ruin it for me. I have watched some of the deleted scenes on the Bly-ray though and there's two nice scenes in particular that I think should've stayed. One is an extended scene between Bruce Banner and the excellent Harry Dean Stanton and the other is a really good scene of Captain America where we find him being slightly out of touch with the modern world.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14401
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 6:10:02 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

Just watched this awesome Korean monster movie from 2011. I'm terrible at writing reviews but suffice to say i really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Deep Rising but with less humour and much better FX. A big monster is loose on a Korean oirl rig and is causing all kinds of carnage. It's a survival horror action movie with a fantastic creature and great visuals and CG. The 3D is really good too, i believe this was shot natively. The US blu is region locked so you'll need a multi region player or maybe the DVD is easier to get hold of. I highly recommend this for any fans of monsters. The movie is quite cheesy but it delivers in terms of its visuals and FX.

Hey don't worry about writing a full blown review,LH and many others keep it short and too the point,which was the way this thread started.The whole idea is to give films of the weird/strange kind a platform,where hopefully they get new fans,so keep it up,for i love it when someone post's a film i haven't seen or even heard of,and at the moment there seems to be a good few Korean films that need a platform. Anyway sounds like the kind of movie we here love,though i'll have to go for a DVD of it as the Blu-Ray player is UK region only,where the DVD player is multi region with 1080P upscaling.

Well i hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to check it out bill. it has bonus points for having a motorcycle chase on an oil rig, now there's a first!

Anything with a motorcycle and i'm glued,and that go'es for the mess that was Torque(2004),totaly over the top but great fun.
And i wish they had have done a better job with this transfer to Blu-Ray but it's still great film
HIGHLANDER (1985)

Born in the Highlands of Scotland in 1518, Connor Macleod is immortal. When he is wounded in battle but does not die, he is banished from his village. He meets another like himself, Ramirez, who teaches him swordsmanship and the only way to kill another immortal is to take his head,"It is the way of the immortals". Modern-day New York is the location of The Gathering,where Connor and the few remaining immortals must battle to the last for The Prize : the spiritual ability to know everything.Also he must face his greatest enemy,and  final opponent the bloodthirsty barbarian who has chased him across time to 1985.

Highlander is a thoroughly entertaining action-fantasy picture,and a great second feature film for it's director,but it led to a mediocre series that just went downhill,(though II is watchable)and ended up a TV series that was just Shit.But this is a review of the first,directed by Russell Mulcahy,who also directed the wonderful RAZORBACK,yes he's an Aussie who also did a lot of the 80's pop videos of Duran Duran etc.This movie was a flop at the box office,yet gained a life of it's on on Video,which led to a second movie getting the green light.To me it failed because it was just so different,the integration of modern songs in a period setting was very experimental at the time, especially for a genre film. The editing style is much more painterly and nonlinear,(IE to much like a pop video),it jumps all over the place mixing various elements,that make this a film that is really like no other of it's time.

The camera angles are very inventive and some of the transitions between the different time frames are jaw-dropping,plus the cinematography in the highlands captures the breath taking scenery beautifully,just awesome.The musical score by Michael Kamen is lush,epic and romantic,yet at the same time allowing for an integration with the songs by Queen which is the crowning achievement of the film the best being the "who wants to live forever?" montage, which is an absolutely heartbreaking scene(yes i shed a tear every time i see this,but don't tell no one).

Chrisopher Lambert's Connor Macleod is his best performance in any film he's ever been in,from young innocent Scotsman to a sad world weary antiques dealer Russell Nash??.Some folk have said his accent,is to odd,well it works as he has traveled the world from his homeland of Scotland through time itself,but his great achivement is that you believe in him.And this is due to the fine cast around him like Sean Connery as Ramirez(he's Spainish yet has a Scots acent??but hey it's Connery) who radiates charm and nobility in a short appearance,as the elder immortal who shows Lambert the rules of the game.But for me Clancy Brown's performance as The Kurgan a brutal barbarian who kills Ramirez,was one of the great bad guys of cinema,and nearly steals the show,just so much fun.The choreographed sword fights between this lot are fantastic,and never look over the top or unreal,as the lack of money meant very few Visual Effects,which is a good thing as they look very dated now.But it's the acting and story that carry this movie to cult status,and even the minor roles of Heather(Beatie Edney) who again is only on screen for minutes,gets the tears flowing.Then there is laughter,sometimes dark as with The Kurgan,or just fun as with the Cop(Alan North) who can't figure out why headless corpses keep turning up in his city.

The tagline of "There can only be one"is very much true of this film as it stands alone without the need for its inferior sequels The film's intentionally muddled structure is slightly irritating on the first viewing, but with repeated viewings it becomes more clear, even clever/surprising even. Highlander is a good, inventive piece of sci/fi Fantasy hokum,and it's a real shame that those very same people and critics who are always grumbling about the lack of cinematic imagination these days didn't give it some merit when it was first released.This is no masterpiece,but it is one great fun ride of a movie that has it all in the mix,and somehow works,even after all these years it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,but i wish it had been fully remaster,so 7/10.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14402
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 6:15:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Another damn fine review there Dr :-) although I would give Jaws a 10 personally along with Raiders of the Lost Ark ( possibly my favourite Spielberg film ever!) I think, along with Close Encounters, that's my top 3 of his movies to date.

Not surprised at all that good old LH didn't care for Avengers much. I actually thought a whole lot of heart and soul went into making it something quite special. Let's hope Ruffalo does an Incredible Hulk movie soon!

Someone here has to be the voice of reason since HR disappeared and I guess I took the gauntlet! It's not a bad film but I think the best moments were with the characters from Thor. The rest was just effects effects and more effects... Having said that apparently our UK version is cut. The death scene with the agent killed by Loki should have been gorier apparently... I will say this there was a hint of humanity/heart with the scenes between him and Captain America and the bloodstained trading cards.

I heard also there's more extras on the US Blu-Ray as well as more gore and a longer running time,which has made me hold off from buying the Blu-Ray,as you know there will be a Special Edition at some point.It's about time we here in the UK got better treatment by the film companys,who seem to wish to rip us off at every chance.

Post #: 14403
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 6:27:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera
And forgot to mention, look forward to reading those Corman/Poe reviews, it's the sort of thing I would go through one day, but after Universal horror I am going on to Hammer and also all the films of Alfred Hitchcock!

Thank you mate,i'm in a real Corman Poe mood,it must be the dark nights coming in,i tend to watch more horror of the gothic kind.
Looking forward to your Hammer and Alfred Hitchcock write ups,you know i'm nuts on these as well,it really is true they just don't make them like that anymore.

SKY films has Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2011) on tonight,soif you hav'nt seen the orginal,well this is decent but only just worrth the watching. 

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14404
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 7:14:31 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just watched this awesome Korean monster movie from 2011. I'm terrible at writing reviews but suffice to say i really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Deep Rising but with less humour and much better FX. A big monster is loose on a Korean oirl rig and is causing all kinds of carnage. It's a survival horror action movie with a fantastic creature and great visuals and CG. The 3D is really good too, i believe this was shot natively. The US blu is region locked so you'll need a multi region player or maybe the DVD is easier to get hold of. I highly recommend this for any fans of monsters. The movie is quite cheesy but it delivers in terms of its visuals and FX.

Hey don't worry about writing a full blown review,LH and many others keep it short and too the point,which was the way this thread started.The whole idea is to give films of the weird/strange kind a platform,where hopefully they get new fans,so keep it up,for i love it when someone post's a film i haven't seen or even heard of,and at the moment there seems to be a good few Korean films that need a platform. Anyway sounds like the kind of movie we here love,though i'll have to go for a DVD of it as the Blu-Ray player is UK region only,where the DVD player is multi region with 1080P upscaling.

Well i hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to check it out bill. it has bonus points for having a motorcycle chase on an oil rig, now there's a first!

Might give it a go myself, looks like my cup of tea!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14405
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 10:20:23 PM   
dannyfletch

I actually prefer the Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo, I thought it was the better made version of the two with a better pace and atmosphere. As much as i like the original version it felt too much like a t.v movie to me. Plus good old Daniel Craig rocks!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14406
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 10:23:13 PM   
dannyfletch

Have always loved Highlander and I too own this fine version. Although I do agree it does deserve better and they could've at least got rid of the strings holding Chris Lambert up at the end!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14407
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 23/9/2012 8:01:27 PM   
losthighway

Well i've had a weekend of misery and gore...

AMERICAN NIGHTMARES - This is the director's cut of Combat Shock which is admittedly rather slow but persistently downbeat with some dated/seriously low budget SFX but the message gets across anyway. Worth watching for the Eraserhead-like mutant baby which is just plain freaky. Oh and that ending which is quite honestly, horrible! Imo, it appears to be the blueprint for Jacob's Ladder which showed up a few years later. Overall: 3/5

CAT IN THE BRAIN - Fulci stars as himself, a director losing his grip on reality due to the graphic violence he is shooting on his latest film. Essentially it's a series of vignettes where various women (and the odd bloke) are murdered in graphic, gory and highly sexualised ways. It's rather laughable at times and doesn't really make any sense, clearly being a vehicle for Fulci to actually intercut death scenes from some of his features into the narrative. The ending is rather clever and despite all the hype when Craven released his New Nightmare/Scream films, Fulci actually beat him to it with Cat being released in 1990. Worth picking up the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition if you are going to watch this film. Overall: 3/5

And finally, i've bought this as I patiently wait for the remake to arrive...

Plus, i'm with dannyfletch... Fincher's GWTDT is excellent, although i'd recommend getting the original trilogy boxset because it's the only way to see the sequels in their extended versions - and they're rather good!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 23/9/2012 8:03:51 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14408
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/9/2012 1:55:18 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

quote:

Another damn fine review there Dr :-) although I would give Jaws a 10 personally along with Raiders of the Lost Ark ( possibly my favourite Spielberg film ever!) I think, along with Close Encounters, that's my top 3 of his movies to date.

Not surprised at all that good old LH didn't care for Avengers much. I actually thought a whole lot of heart and soul went into making it something quite special. Let's hope Ruffalo does an Incredible Hulk movie soon!

Someone here has to be the voice of reason since HR disappeared

Still around LH.......lurking in the shadows......

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 14409
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/9/2012 2:02:03 PM   
losthighway

Hey! You are still around... and you'll be so happy too... i bought HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH DVD last night from Amazon UK for £4.44! I'm just hoping it's uncut and in widescreen... time will tell. A very nice Collector's Edition BR of the film is released in the USA this week. It appears we won't be getting it anytime soon though!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 14410
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/9/2012 7:01:20 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I actually prefer the Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo, I thought it was the better made version of the two with a better pace and atmosphere. As much as i like the original version it felt too much like a t.v movie to me. Plus good old Daniel Craig rocks!

Well yeah the wife liked Fincher's version as it was less violent,and Daniel Craig of course,as this is her latest heart throb.But i liked the original because it was more twisted and edgy,and going by those that have read the books(i haven't)it's suppose to be much closer to the book,also as LH noticed the extended version's are even better.Still Flincher did a fine job as you'd expect,but still not what i would have hopped for,i think he needs to avoid going down the Hollywood remake root,he's far better than that.
quote:

Have always loved Highlander and I too own this fine version. Although I do agree it does deserve better and they could've at least got rid of the strings holding Chris Lambert up at the end!

The strings and the fact you could tell some of it was just direct from a master Video tape,rather than the film stock itself,which was one of the complaints i had when it first hit DVD.They went down the cheap Blu-Ray root,which as i said this film did not deserve,it still cries out for a proper SE Blu-Ray fully remastered.

Post #: 14411
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/9/2012 8:07:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Well i've had a weekend of misery and gore...

AMERICAN NIGHTMARES - This is the director's cut of Combat Shock which is admittedly rather slow but persistently downbeat with some dated/seriously low budget SFX but the message gets across anyway. Worth watching for the Eraserhead-like mutant baby which is just plain freaky. Oh and that ending which is quite honestly, horrible! Imo, it appears to be the blueprint for Jacob's Ladder which showed up a few years later. Overall: 3/5

CAT IN THE BRAIN - Fulci stars as himself, a director losing his grip on reality due to the graphic violence he is shooting on his latest film. Essentially it's a series of vignettes where various women (and the odd bloke) are murdered in graphic, gory and highly sexualised ways. It's rather laughable at times and doesn't really make any sense, clearly being a vehicle for Fulci to actually intercut death scenes from some of his features into the narrative. The ending is rather clever and despite all the hype when Craven released his New Nightmare/Scream films, Fulci actually beat him to it with Cat being released in 1990. Worth picking up the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition if you are going to watch this film. Overall: 3/5

And finally, i've bought this as I patiently wait for the remake to arrive...

Nice quite weekend then,and love your short and too the point reviews,though i havnt seen the first film here's a couple of old reviews.
Cat In The Brain (1990)
Lucio Fulci's Cat in the Brain is a fun horror movie about a director's decent into madness. The director in question is Fulci himself, who stars in the film. Fulci has become known to horror fans everywhere as the godfather of gore.In this one his love of gore and violence has taken its toll on Fulci's mental state, and he's quickly delving into madness.He seeks the help of a psychiatrist,but theres a  problem that he has took it upon himself to take up murder as a hobby, using Fulci's films as blueprints for the murders!

The acting in this film is absolutely atrocious,and Fulci himself is not an actor, and it shows, but his performance is actually the best in the film.Bad dubbing doesn't exactly help either,but then it is an Italian horror movie,with full on gore to make up for the weakness of script and dubbing.There's beheading, a woman is slain in the shower, people are hacked up, fed to pigs and there's lots and lots of horror cinema's finest weapon the chainsaw on display, which will delight all gore hounds The amount of gore is massively over the top a lot of the time,and has the feeling of a spoof,but then so is Craven's SCREAM films,but this is what makes it so much fun,it's not Fulci's last film as director,that was Door To Silence 1991,but it was one his more gerne breaking films.His last good horror film,not great not classic,but a hell of a risk of a film,that any Fulici fan will enjoy.6/10

Here's ye old review of this awesome slasher,which is the older Blue Underground release of some years back.
MANIAC (1980)

Frank (Joe Spinnell)misses his mother, who was killed in a car accident years before. She was abusive to him, and made money selling her body, but Frank still misses her. He tries to keep her from leaving him, and reform her evil ways, by killing young women and putting their scalps on mannequins which he displays around his apartment. Photographer Anna (Caroline Munro) takes a picture of him in the park, and he pursues and befriends her. Is she the one he's been looking for or just another mommy wanna be.

From the amazing performance of Joe Spinell to the Brutal Make-up FX of Tom Savini, this is perhaps the mother of all Horror Slashers.It's infamous shotgun-blast scene,where the head of the victim explodes just like in Scanners,to the rape murder,totures,stabbings,scalpings and a gory dream sequence where Franks arm is chopped off and his head pulled off makes this a one of the most disturbing and violent films of the 80's.Like the infamous Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer of the 90's,there is no humour to give the viewer some relief from the madness on screen.It also takes you into the mind of this Maniac,and like the best slashers from this period, it was shot for the most miniscule of budget,and caused the censors to cut like in the US or ban like here in the UK.I only got to see this on Bootleg VHS back in the late 80's ,though this way it was uncut,but as far as i can remmber this seems top be the least cut version i have seen.For starters the nudity is back,along with a heavy dose of violence,with plenty of blood and gore,but this alone only adds toa great slasher.

For in this cult classic there is the great use of the dark back street's of New York,where only those without fear dare to go,and you can nearly smellthe fear that rises fromthese dark times.And Spinnell is in his best most frighting role ever,some might remmber himfrom a smallrole in The Godfather II,or various other ganster films,but here he is the star.This actor wanted the role so much that he spent weeks researching into serial killers,and all this for a small wage,he deserves recognition for his hard work.The same for Caroline Munro who gave her most realistic and best bit of acting in this portrayal,before she became a scream queen in less memorable flicks such as Slaughter High and Faceless.

It's was for it's time an innovative,brutal and daring take on the standard slasher genre,up there with Fulci's New York Ripper.And so it's no wonder this too was banned during the Video Nasty debate,for even now after so many years it's realistic slezzy look still leaves you stunned.It is a bizzare strange film,that only harden horror fans should tackle,but at least now you get to see this excellent Slasher fully uncut??.7/10
quote:

bought HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH DVD last night from Amazon UK for £4.44! I'm just hoping it's uncut and in widescreen... time will tell. A very nice Collector's Edition BR of the film is released in the USA this week. It appears we won't be getting it anytime soon though!

Well we just seem to not be importain enough for to get these Collector's Edition Blu-Ray's,i've been trying to find a UK release of Rob Zombies HALLOWEEN(OHHH i can hear a certain HR screaming)but there's noplans for that ethier to get a decent BR here in the UK.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 24/9/2012 8:13:57 PM >

Post #: 14412
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 24/9/2012 8:42:33 PM   
evil bill

PARANORMAN (2012)

The good Dr already did a fine review of this so there's not to much more to say,as he was spot on the money.I saw this in good old 2D at a Sunday matinée and it was wonderful,filled with humor,with a great story line about being different and bulling.The actors who voice this bring the characters to life and provide a certain depth along with the laughs. From Anna Kendrick's the dumb and annoying  cheerleader,and Casey Affleck's dumb jock, to Christopher Mintz-Plasse the angry school bully this will be a hard act to top. But as fun as these lot where the best by far is child actor Tucker Albrizzi who is perfectly cast as the voice of Norman's chubby best friend, Neil,and  not forgetting Kodi Smit-McPhee as Norman,these two get the best lines and best gags.

I saw this with the young Daughter of 8 years old,and she loved it,it reminded both of us of Coraline or Nightmare Before Christmas,and yet for someone like me, it was so much more.It reminded me so much of my own childhood,as it represents ye old horror films i watched as a young child not much older than my daughter.Those films set out to chill/frighten without resorting to marketing sex, nudity, and relentless gore with next to no story never mind script. But anyway back to this film,a film made with a lot of love and knowledge of ye old B- movies,with lots of clever insider references,any dedicated horror fan will be able to spot.There's to many to list and part of the fun for us adults is spotting them.like the ring tone on the title character's Mobile phone,IE John Carpenter's "Halloween Theme."i just have to get that on mine,and i'll be adding this film to my collection.8/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14413
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 12:06:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

PARANORMAN (2012)

The good Dr already did a fine review of this so there's not to much more to say,as he was spot on the money.I saw this in good old 2D at a Sunday matinée and it was wonderful,filled with humor,with a great story line about being different and bulling.The actors who voice this bring the characters to life and provide a certain depth along with the laughs. From Anna Kendrick's the dumb and annoying  cheerleader,and Casey Affleck's dumb jock, to Christopher Mintz-Plasse the angry school bully this will be a hard act to top. But as fun as these lot where the best by far is child actor Tucker Albrizzi who is perfectly cast as the voice of Norman's chubby best friend, Neil,and  not forgetting Kodi Smit-McPhee as Norman,these two get the best lines and best gags.

I saw this with the young Daughter of 8 years old,and she loved it,it reminded both of us of Coraline or Nightmare Before Christmas,and yet for someone like me, it was so much more.It reminded me so much of my own childhood,as it represents ye old horror films i watched as a young child not much older than my daughter.Those films set out to chill/frighten without resorting to marketing sex, nudity, and relentless gore with next to no story never mind script. But anyway back to this film,a film made with a lot of love and knowledge of ye old B- movies,with lots of clever insider references,any dedicated horror fan will be able to spot.There's to many to list and part of the fun for us adults is spotting them.like the ring tone on the title character's Mobile phone,IE John Carpenter's "Halloween Theme."i just have to get that on mine,and i'll be adding this film to my collection.8/10

Thought you would like this, I was right

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14414
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 12:08:50 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anything with a motorcycle and i'm glued,and that go'es for the mess that was Torque(2004),totaly over the top but great fun.
And i wish they had have done a better job with this transfer to Blu-Ray but it's still great film
HIGHLANDER (1985)

Born in the Highlands of Scotland in 1518, Connor Macleod is immortal. When he is wounded in battle but does not die, he is banished from his village. He meets another like himself, Ramirez, who teaches him swordsmanship and the only way to kill another immortal is to take his head,"It is the way of the immortals". Modern-day New York is the location of The Gathering,where Connor and the few remaining immortals must battle to the last for The Prize : the spiritual ability to know everything.Also he must face his greatest enemy,and  final opponent the bloodthirsty barbarian who has chased him across time to 1985.

Highlander is a thoroughly entertaining action-fantasy picture,and a great second feature film for it's director,but it led to a mediocre series that just went downhill,(though II is watchable)and ended up a TV series that was just Shit.But this is a review of the first,directed by Russell Mulcahy,who also directed the wonderful RAZORBACK,yes he's an Aussie who also did a lot of the 80's pop videos of Duran Duran etc.This movie was a flop at the box office,yet gained a life of it's on on Video,which led to a second movie getting the green light.To me it failed because it was just so different,the integration of modern songs in a period setting was very experimental at the time, especially for a genre film. The editing style is much more painterly and nonlinear,(IE to much like a pop video),it jumps all over the place mixing various elements,that make this a film that is really like no other of it's time.

The camera angles are very inventive and some of the transitions between the different time frames are jaw-dropping,plus the cinematography in the highlands captures the breath taking scenery beautifully,just awesome.The musical score by Michael Kamen is lush,epic and romantic,yet at the same time allowing for an integration with the songs by Queen which is the crowning achievement of the film the best being the "who wants to live forever?" montage, which is an absolutely heartbreaking scene(yes i shed a tear every time i see this,but don't tell no one).

Chrisopher Lambert's Connor Macleod is his best performance in any film he's ever been in,from young innocent Scotsman to a sad world weary antiques dealer Russell Nash??.Some folk have said his accent,is to odd,well it works as he has traveled the world from his homeland of Scotland through time itself,but his great achivement is that you believe in him.And this is due to the fine cast around him like Sean Connery as Ramirez(he's Spainish yet has a Scots acent??but hey it's Connery) who radiates charm and nobility in a short appearance,as the elder immortal who shows Lambert the rules of the game.But for me Clancy Brown's performance as The Kurgan a brutal barbarian who kills Ramirez,was one of the great bad guys of cinema,and nearly steals the show,just so much fun.The choreographed sword fights between this lot are fantastic,and never look over the top or unreal,as the lack of money meant very few Visual Effects,which is a good thing as they look very dated now.But it's the acting and story that carry this movie to cult status,and even the minor roles of Heather(Beatie Edney) who again is only on screen for minutes,gets the tears flowing.Then there is laughter,sometimes dark as with The Kurgan,or just fun as with the Cop(Alan North) who can't figure out why headless corpses keep turning up in his city.

The tagline of "There can only be one"is very much true of this film as it stands alone without the need for its inferior sequels The film's intentionally muddled structure is slightly irritating on the first viewing, but with repeated viewings it becomes more clear, even clever/surprising even. Highlander is a good, inventive piece of sci/fi Fantasy hokum,and it's a real shame that those very same people and critics who are always grumbling about the lack of cinematic imagination these days didn't give it some merit when it was first released.This is no masterpiece,but it is one great fun ride of a movie that has it all in the mix,and somehow works,even after all these years it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,but i wish it had been fully remaster,so 7/10.

Love the first Highlander, I'd probably give it 8. And good to know I'm not the only one who cries at a certain scene

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14415
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 12:14:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

Four years after the events of Jaws, Saif Adris Khan is opening a new resort in Amity to attract people. Two divers are photographing the wreck of the Orca, Quint’s boat, when they are suddenly killed by another large great white shark, though not before one of them has photographed its eye. After another death and a dead killer whale is found beached with wounds all over its body, Police Chief Martin Brody is convinced another shark is on the loose, but Mayor Vaughn refuses to believe him. Brody stops Mike from sailing and, when he mistakes a school of bluefish for a shark, causes a panic on the beach. Despite now having the photograph of the shark’s eye as proof, none of the members of the town council believe him and he is fired from his position, just when Mike and some other teenagers decide to go sailing……

They were really brave by making Jaws 2 [1978], to be honest. Though it was a production that was bound to make money, its predecessor was so good that in terms of sheer quality they were asking for trouble. There was no way they could really match it. Taken on its own Jaws 2 is a solid, entertaining movie, and I think the fact that it’s such a drop from Jaws has caused it to be underrated somewhat. It doesn’t seem they were trying to match the first film. All they were trying to do was make a similar but simpler, lighter, more kid-friendly [I suppose one could use the term “dumbed down”, but that does the movie a disservice] variation on it. In that, they certainly succeeded. Jaws 2 is a mostly well acted, technically proficient, well paced and often exciting movie, and actually for younger viewers and those out for some mindless shark thrills, it might be more appealing, as in this one you certainly see the mechanical fake animal throughout!

Jaws 2 was an even more troubled production than Jaws, and it’s a wonder that it turned out as well as it did. Originally it was to be a prequel about the sinking of the Indianapolis and Spielberg actually wrote a script, but he couldn’t shoot for another year due to making Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. John D.Hancock began shooting with a script by Howard Sackler, with alterations by Hancock’s wife Dorothy Tristan. With Amity as a rundown, virtual ghost town, the Mafia, and lots of gore, this looked to be as intelligent as, and darker than, Jaws, but the studio wanted a lighter, brighter film, so Hancock was replaced by Jeannot Szwarc and Carl Gottlieb asked to return to rewrite the script. Roy Scheider returned as Brody but hated doing the film and rowed with Szwarc constantly, while, again, the mechanical sharks were a nightmare. Eventually costing three times the amount of Jaws, Jaws 2 came out amidst a wave of publicity and merchandise and quickly became the highest grossing sequel to that date. As with Jaws, a slightly longer version was shown on US TV with some deleted scenes restored, most notably the shark attacking the helicopter pilot and two extra bits involving the town council. It’s also worth mentioning that a version of Jaws 2 was once shown on Irish TV with a shot that has never been officially shown elsewhere, where you see one of the girls, Marge, inside the shark’s mouth.

So what we basically have is a film which is partly a semi-remake of Jaws but which is also partly more of a teen horror movie, closer to something like a slasher film at sea. The opening scene is actually very clever in the way it plays on audiences memory of the original picture’s beginning. Two divers are swimming underwater and John William’s atmospheric music, with nice use of a harp, emphasises both the beauty and the mystery of underwater, but not menace and horror for a few minutes, until suddenly the famous two-note theme kicks in, though faster and somewhat lighter, and the divers are killed. This time there is no blood though, in fact Jaws 2 has hardly any of the red stuff at all and just one good shock, a bit where Brody ventures out from the beach to a wreck and is greeted by a burnt corpse. I sometimes think if Jaws 2 would have benefitted from exploiting its slasher film aspects such as going for the gore and having the teens do more with each other than chat each other up, and I reckon the studio would have done this if it had been made a couple of years later when Halloween and Friday The 13th had both been smash hits.

Never mind, Jaws 2 trudges along in its pleasant way and never really makes any major mistakes, though it annoyingly introduces its teenagers near the beginning and then all but forgets about them until half way through when they set out on their foolish boat adventure. It’s also ridiculous how no one believes Brody second time round, even the Mayor, who was around when the first shark was eating his people. Roy Scheider though is excellent in these scenes; in fact, he’s terrific in the whole movie, with the absence of Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss not leaving too much of a hole because it allows Scheider to shine and boy he certainly does. It’s a mark of his professionalism that his unhappiness during the shoot doesn’t affect his performance. He is wonderfully warm in the scenes with his wife, which may slow the film down for some but pleasingly show a marriage in a film of this type that is love-filled and not beset with problems.

As before, the first half has a few shark attack scenes before revving it up for the second half, though the intensity of the previous film is only occasionally reached. Szwarc refuses to copy Spielberg very much and manages to use to his advantage the decision to show the shark throughout by filming some scenes behind or even on the animal. It’s quite exhilarating being, or being right behind, the shark at times, though it does mean one is less scared. There are also some great aerial shots which show the sheer size of the beast. An early attack where the boat explodes is very well edited and one scene where a girl is in a boat and her boyfriend is in the water desperately trying to swim to her, replete with the girl screaming at him, has a real edge to it. You still see the shark from the front an awful lot, though him having a burned face helps things a little, and I do think it looks slightly better than before. We do, though, finally arrive at the point where the series officially gets silly when the shark capsizes a helicopter. Still, they did well keeping things believable up to now. The climax is well worked out and even clever in the way the shark is dispatched, but just isn’t quite as thrilling as it should be.

Besides Scheider, the performances are mostly fine, with Murray Hamilton and Joseph Mascolo appropriately sneaky as the Mayor and the real estate developer Len Peterson [has there ever been a nice real estate developer in a film?], though it would not be till the fourth film that Lorraine Gary’s character Ellen Brody would get some real development [and we all know how that turned......damn, I’m getting ahead of myself!]. The teen actors fare okay but are not characterised enough for us to care about them. A highlight of Jaws 2 is the fabulous score by John Williams. He brings back his main theme from Jaws but uses it less and gives it differing variations, while overall following the tone of the film by giving the score a sunnier feel, with some great jaunty pieces for the teenagers sailing and some beautiful underwater music. While Jaws 2 is a pale shadow of Jaws if you watch one movie after the other as I have just done, its score is in my opinion a better musical work and superbly played too [now where’s the complete soundtrack release somebody?]. Overall I do like Jaws 2 quite a bit, it’s a relaxing, pleasant watch and it has enough good qualities to justify its existence…though I think I would like it even more if it wasn’t related to Jaws at all!

ORDER OF SERIES IN TERMS OF QUALITY

1/ Jaws Rating: 9.5/10

2/ Jaws 2 Rating: 7.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14416
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 12:19:50 PM   
Dr Lenera

I don't post all my reviews on here, but this may interest some....

Best friends Chon and Ben are successful marijuana growers living in Laguna Beach, California. Seeds smuggled out of Afghanistan yielded a particularly potent strain of marijuana that soon developed a wide customer base and made Chon and Ben very wealthy. The two share one woman, who calls herself O, as a girlfriend. While Ben is doing charity work overseas, Chon and O receive a video from cartel enforcer Lado, a man they do not know. The video shows several severed heads and a chainsaw, leading them to worry about Ben, who they fear is one of the victims. However, Ben returns safely the next day, and Chon and Ben go to meet with a Mexican cartel which is determined to force a business deal with them. After refusing the cartel’s offer for a partnership, Chon and Ben make plans with O to leave and go to Indonesia for a year, not telling her that they are fleeing the cartel, but the cartel’s leader Elena has other plans…..

Even if he has lost some of his edge and relevance in recent years, Oliver Stone’s films are always worth watching. Though certainly not anywhere near his best work, Savages is his most sheerly enjoyable picture in quite a while, yet it doesn’t seem to be getting a very good reception. Perhaps people prefer Stone in ‘worthy’ mode; this is Stone in his U Turn idiom, simply having fun. I feel that Stone has been undervalued since that time decades ago when he was churning out great movies like Salvador and Born On The Fourth Of July. His efforts remain noteworthy and Savages, a vicious tale of drug-dealing and deception, is a good reminder that Stone started his career writing scripts for pure exploitation films like The Hand. Savages doesn’t really try to say anything, except that dealing drugs big- time is going to lead to trouble, but it’s constantly involving to the point I didn’t really know what was going to happen next and it is also clearly made for adults. In a Hollywood plagued by an obsession to appeal to the ‘kids’, Stone makes films his way and hurrah to that.

I have read criticism to the effect that the lifestyle of our two ‘heroes’ is likeable in a way that is wrong, but I say “sod that”; the fact that we are clearly made to envy at least some of their lifestyle at the start of the film is a reminder that Stone himself is a committed dope smoker and this, in a way, could represent a kind of paradise, albeit a paradise that soon goes wrong. Though the film opens with a brutal execution, something that Chon and Ben see, the early section gives us a vivid sense of their [at the time] great life. O’s narration, which is a bit Sunset Boulevard-style, we don’t know if this is a dead or alive person who is telling us this story, takes us through brief flashbacks as we learn how Chon and Ben’s business came about. Unfortunately, this is all so interesting one might wish the entire first half of the film details this, with the second half telling of the ‘fall’. What really doesn’t work is that we are not shown how the ménage-a-trois came about. You could also say that about Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, but they got away with it in that film because of the great performances of the leads which suggested history. In Savages, we are lumbered with Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and it’s not enough.

This is one of those films where you almost route for the villains, because the standard of acting is far higher than those of the good guys and you can’t wait for their next appearance. Benicio Del Toro, as the second in command Lado is simply terrifying in this film, he looks like he could go berserk at any time, and John Travolta is at his smug best as corrupt cop Dennis, but the revelation for me is Salma Hayek as Elena the head of the cartel. I’ve always admired her, but to be honest it’s mostly been for her looks and sexiness than her acting ability. Here, she delivers a very rounded performance, and she’s helped immensely by a script that gives almost everyone decent ‘scenes’ to enable them to convince as real people. Hayek has a great scene where she sits at a dinner table with O, whom she has kidnapped, and reveals things about herself that makes you want to pity this seemingly cruel, heartless woman.

Such stuff may disappoint those in search of simple thrills, and the action content is fairly low until the final third, but the tension is constant. One of things I like about Stone is that he directs films like a young man. From odd angles to bleached frames to black and white to time-lapse photography of a marijuana plant growing, Savages shows a filmmaker still totally in love with film. Sometimes he goes too far; one major action sequence is shot almost entirely in the horrid’ shakycam’ manner, but it’s only a two or three minutes scene and I was therefore able to tolerate it. I should also say that, even though Savages was edited for violence before release, it’s still a very brutal affair, from nasty kneecap shooting to graphic bullet head wounds to setting people on fire. When violence occurs in a Stone film, it’s not ironic or funny, it’s deadly serious, you’re not meant to ‘enjoy’ it, but in some way feel the pain and the effect. This approach may have cost Stone many fans, but it’s something I admire him for.

The story proceeds with plentiful intrigue but, as Chon and Ben get more and more knee-deep in shit and have to take action of their own, attempts to show how humans can resort to primal, well, savagery, are limited by both the performances and the depiction of the two main male characters. They seem to represent two sides of one personality and neither convince as real characters nor acknowledge a slight homoerotic element. Neither is Blake Lively a strong enough presence as O. I wish Stone had waited for his first choice Jennifer Lawrence to finish filming The Hunger Games. Then there’s the ending. Matters appear to climax with a Western-style showdown and the film ending in a way that seems right i.e. sadly, with a sense of Jacobean tragedy about it. Then, suddenly, the film rewinds and gives us what we are told is the ‘proper’ ending, which is happy and sunny and smells of Hollywood crap. Did the studio insist on this? Is Stone being clever and satirising expectations? Or could he just not decide how to end the damn thing? Whatever the reason, it ends what is overall a very underrated effort on a somewhat sour note.

The soundtrack is extremely diverse as it ranges from conventional score to pop songs but, typically for Stone, the music always seems to fit the scene in question. The set design is also clever throughout though of course this Universal horror fan couldn’t take his eyes off the wonderful posters of films like Frankenstein and The Phantom Of The Opera in Chon and Ben’s house. I don’t mean this as a slur against the film though. It really is a far better film than many would have you believe. With better characterised main roles, three decent performers in those roles, the removal of its final couple of minutes and perhaps ten minutes or so elsewhere, Savages could have been quite something. As it stands, Stone has nothing to be ashamed of here.

Rating: 7/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14417
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 4:01:47 PM   
losthighway

Way back during his Buffy days, Whedon introduced something called The Initiative and at the time he was criticised as it was one of the weaker storylines in the Buffy universe. Rather oddly, he has decided to mine a similar idea in this film... a film which Total Film described as "A game changer"... if this film is a game changer then according to its storyline it should be the end of the horror genre and I for one would like to think that if the horror genre were to come to an early demise its swansong would be far more enjoyable than this shite. Few films make me angry but this one has. It is so mindnumbingly stupid and postmodern without actually being clever that I'm just amazed at the folks who actually thought it was good. Without a doubt this is the worst film of the year (so far) for me. Avoid!

Overall: 1/5

< Message edited by losthighway -- 25/9/2012 4:04:18 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14418
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 7:05:22 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Way back during his Buffy days, Whedon introduced something called The Initiative and at the time he was criticised as it was one of the weaker storylines in the Buffy universe. Rather oddly, he has decided to mine a similar idea in this film... a film which Total Film described as "A game changer"... if this film is a game changer then according to its storyline it should be the end of the horror genre and I for one would like to think that if the horror genre were to come to an early demise its swansong would be far more enjoyable than this shite. Few films make me angry but this one has. It is so mindnumbingly stupid and postmodern without actually being clever that I'm just amazed at the folks who actually thought it was good. Without a doubt this is the worst film of the year (so far) for me. Avoid!

Wow!! we agree maybe not score wise but it was crap,and i was amazed it got 3 stars from Empire,and a 6.5/10 from the Dr,i liked a couple of moments,but struggled togive it 4/10.Needless tos ay i have not re watched it on Rental,and will give it a miss when it turns up on SKY. Nice one mate on the review.

Post #: 14419
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 7:18:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

A highlight of Jaws 2 is the fabulous score by John Williams. He brings back his main theme from Jaws but uses it less and gives it differing variations, while overall following the tone of the film by giving the score a sunnier feel, with some great jaunty pieces for the teenagers sailing and some beautiful underwater music. While Jaws 2 is a pale shadow of Jaws if you watch one movie after the other as I have just done, its score is in my opinion a better musical work and superbly played too [now where's the complete soundtrack release somebody?]. Overall I do like Jaws 2 quite a bit, it's a relaxing, pleasant watch and it has enough good qualities to justify its existence…though I think I would like it even more if it wasn't related to Jaws at all!

ORDER OF SERIES IN TERMS OF QUALITY

1/ Jaws Rating: 9.5/10

2/ Jaws 2 Rating: 7.5/10

Yeah the score was better,and for a nights easy viewing it's not bad,but still it will never be added to my collection,as it's overall average 5/10.
quote:

With better characterised main roles, three decent performers in those roles, the removal of its final couple of minutes and perhaps ten minutes or so elsewhere, Savages could have been quite something. As it stands, Stone has nothing to be ashamed of here.

Rating: 7/10

Well if it's up there with U TURN,it's a huge improvment on his last few films,that for me pandered to a right wing US goverment.Which made for painful viewing after such greats as JFK,Born On The Fourth Of July,Platoon etc,not forgeting he scripted some awesome films like Scarface and Midnight Express.W was by far one bloody shit PR film for the Bush regime,and dented my fath in this directors skilland drive,but i willgive this one ago when it hit's the rental Video shops.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14420
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 11:09:05 PM   
dannyfletch

Oh dear! I have been looking forward to Cabin in the woods but you guys are puttin me off it now! I've read quite a few decent reviews so am now not sure to give it a go or not!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14421
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/9/2012 11:12:34 PM   
dannyfletch

Yeah, I like Jaws 2 and thought it was quite an effective sequel to Spielberg's masterpiece so nice review there mate :-)
Don't even bother with the reviews for the other 2 that should be wiped from everyone's memory!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14422
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 3:31:24 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Oh dear! I have been looking forward to Cabin in the woods but you guys are puttin me off it now! I've read quite a few decent reviews so am now not sure to give it a go or not!

I thought it was ok, I gave it 6.5/10, as i thought it was a lot of fun, but overall a bit of a mess and seriously went downhill in the final third.

Post #: 14423
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 3:32:09 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Yeah, I like Jaws 2 and thought it was quite an effective sequel to Spielberg's masterpiece so nice review there mate :-)
Don't even bother with the reviews for the other 2 that should be wiped from everyone's memory!

I did review the other two. One I didn't mind, the other......I try not to think about it

Post #: 14424
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 3:33:28 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Well this really is one film that has divided so many people, I like your short, sharp reviews especially one you slag a film off

Post #: 14425
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 3:36:48 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Well if it's up there with U TURN,it's a huge improvment on his last few films,that for me pandered to a right wing US goverment.Which made for painful viewing after such greats as JFK,Born On The Fourth Of July,Platoon etc,not forgeting he scripted some awesome films like Scarface and Midnight Express.W was by far one bloody shit PR film for the Bush regime,and dented my fath in this directors skilland drive,but i willgive this one ago when it hit's the rental Video shops.

I agree up to a point about Stone, he's got lazy and lost some of his confrontational power, as if he's just given in and decided he likes the US government after all, but Savages is an improvement...well directed at least..... if no classic

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14426
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 4:54:46 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Well this really is one film that has divided so many people, I like your short, sharp reviews especially one you slag a film off

It seems that I have built up a reputation for them... you do realise that it's only because i'm too lazy to write anything lengthy!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 26/9/2012 4:55:04 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14427
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 8:41:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

I agree up to a point about Stone, he's got lazy and lost some of his confrontational power, as if he's just given in and decided he likes the US government after all, but Savages is an improvement...well directed at least..... if no classic

I think you hit it on the head he became lazy,and lost that drive that made himtake chances,or did he as some have suggested got scared of a blacklash from those in power,after allif they where able to get rid of JFK
As isaid i'llwait for the rentalrelease but for a change i'm looking forward to Stone film,and that is all i want a near return to form.If only Argento could pull off a decent film,i know they both may never do a classic film again,but a decent one fromthem willalways out shine the Dross that is being churrened out by the Suits from Hollywood.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14428
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 8:44:12 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

It seems that I have built up a reputation for them... you do realise that it's only because i'm too lazy to write anything lengthy!

Come on be honest you love getting tore in to a filmof course some you do like get a real pasting too
We'd miss you if you went all soft.

Post #: 14429
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 26/9/2012 10:56:38 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Evil Bill, could you tell me which page number I could find that John Carter review of yours? I've been scouring through them but to no avail.

Just watching it right now.

Thanks!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 26/9/2012 10:58:09 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14430
Page:   <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI