Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/9/2012 10:01:32 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Already got it on R1 2-disc SE DVD. Imported it especially for that 144min cut!

You have watched both versions of course,so what one do you prefer,i liked the corpse's in the ballroom scene,which was removed by Stanley for the UK release??
And on the horror theme,i watched a good Brit Flick called:
PANIC BUTTON (2011)

Four strangers win an all expenses paid trip to New York on board a private jet courtesy of a social networking site All2gether.com(sort of Facebook). Once on board and having to relinquish all their mobile phones, it's time to play the in-flight entertainment? and this is where the fun begins. With the cockpit locked and the mysterious "Alligator" pulling the strings, things soon start to heat up as the passengers have there private lives exposed,and they begin to turn on each other.

Panic Button is a decent low budget British independent horror/thriller film,which was released way back in  early 2011,but i only got to watch it on SKY at the weekend.A wonderful twisted cautionary tale on the dangers of online social networking,and even a stab at Big Brother.It has some gory moments,though for an 18Cert it's not that bad.and there well placed within the story so never making you trun away.Also some black humor for good measure,like a reference to Hal 9000 of 2001,big hint at the tv reality show Big Brother and of course Saw.

Plus a decent cast of unknowns out side of Britain,with the likes of Mike Jibson (Cemetery Junction) as Dave who you will dislike right from the off though he has some of the best lines.There's also Jack Gordon (Fish Tank) as Max??again a decent actor who helps keep it real,as the story twists.In the female roles we have TV stars like Scarlett Alice Johnson of Eastenders,as Jo an alcoholic mother who enjoys snuff on the net.Elen Rhys of Holby as Gwen,is again not a very nice girl,good at giving advice but not taking it,and plays her heart out in this first feature role.

Director Chris Crow has here a real paranoia thriller very much in the vain of say Hitchcock's Lifeboat,but with a touch of Saw to give it a more modren feel.It's tightly written and unfussily directed,but ramps up the tension between the character's using peoples web-based fears about identity theft,big brother watching you,internet bulling etc.Also the fact that it seems we are free to act upon our cruellest base desires with virtual immunity,or can we??For in fact everything you do is being watched or registered on some server,and this is where the film works at it's best as it make's this very clear.Add to this a great final twist,and you have a film that deserves to be seen,though it never get's above it's low budget,but for a good 90 odd minutes it entertains.6/10

Agree with this, it has some great ideas and much to say of worth, but never gets as good as it seems it is going to.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14371
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/9/2012 11:46:04 AM   
Dr Lenera

Others reviewed these on HCF, but briefly;

They've certainly stayed true to the character for this version, and the action never slows, though considering the wealth of amazing plots in the comics they could have given it a decent story, and except for about three scenes the 3D is pointless. Fun though, with some cool visuals,and it doesn't hold back on the gore either. 7/10

Feeling like the original movie with most of the fun ripped out of it, this is certainly action-packed and pacy but we've all seen this kind of drab future too many times before and it all seems a little pointless. Could have been worse though. 5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14372
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/9/2012 6:32:47 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Evil Bill... the ballroom scene is my favourite addition too.

I watched REC3: Genesis last night. Some interesting ideas but on the whole what happened to the franchise!? I have no problem with them taking it away from the handheld format (although this is still in abundance effectively using the title as a gimmick). However, making the film almost comedic in tone at times and just plain cliched towards the end really ruined it. I thought the central love story was a nice idea but the lead actress couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and the groom running around in armour was just stupid! Sadly REC3 is just OK not great. Overall: 2.5/5

Shame about REC III,but then they are draging it out,it was never meant to be a trigloy,it was an awesome Zombie flick,but now it's just another cliched teenage horror flick.
Glad to hear your a fan of the infamous Ballroom scene too.
quote:

Oh and I saw BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO too... A mildly interesting homage to Giallo which completely loses it's way about 20mins before the end and veers the film off course/tone into wannabe Lynch territory. It doesn't ruin the film but it certainly harms its effectiveness. Oh and for anyone who is not a fan of Giallo/Italian horror then I have to say most of the in-jokes (which raised the odd chuckle) and nods to the genre will be totally lost on viewers. It's a film that is strictly for Italian horror fans and I imagine will leave most other folks scratching their heads and bored rigid. Overall: 3/5

Now i do fancy this,for as you know i just LOVE!! Italian Horror.
quote:

Finally got my hands on A SERBIAN FILM UNCUT DVD tonight. Folks may like to know that the supposed R1 release is actually R0.

ENJOY!! if that's the right word.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14373
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/9/2012 7:36:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Already got it on R1 2-disc SE DVD. Imported it especially for that 144min cut!

You have watched both versions of course,so what one do you prefer,i liked the corpse's in the ballroom scene,which was removed by Stanley for the UK release??
And on the horror theme,i watched a good Brit Flick called:
PANIC BUTTON (2011)

Director Chris Crow has here a real paranoia thriller very much in the vain of say Hitchcock's Lifeboat,but with a touch of Saw to give it a more modren feel.It's tightly written and unfussily directed,but ramps up the tension between the character's using peoples web-based fears about identity theft,big brother watching you,internet bulling etc.Also the fact that it seems we are free to act upon our cruellest base desires with virtual immunity,or can we??For in fact everything you do is being watched or registered on some server,and this is where the film works at it's best as it make's this very clear.Add to this a great final twist,and you have a film that deserves to be seen,though it never get's above it's low budget,but for a good 90 odd minutes it entertains.6/10

Agree with this, it has some great ideas and much to say of worth, but never gets as good as it seems it is going to.

Well good to hear you felt the same about this one,and for those with SKY Movies,it's worth a vist,those without try to get hold of a rental video.
This bloody computer is on it's last legs,so i'm late with this film i saw on Friday night in ye old Cinema in 3D.
DREDD (2012)

In the not to distant future America is an irradiated waste land,the only city still with life is Mega City One,a vast violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge - a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

To be honest part of me was Dredding this,but i'm a huge fan of 2000AD,and of all the different story's,Judge Dredd was my favorite,so this was a must see.Now the bad news first,it's low budget shows at times and so makes the Stallone version look less of a turkey.The script could have been so much better,as there are plenty of great storylines that could have been used from the comic.And the 3D was good but noting you haven't seen before,so that's it in a nutshell,for i for one loved it,as i'll now tell you why,for i left the cinema on a high.

This is the dark version we fan's have been waiting for,a violent,super gory bloodbath,with a faithful execution of the character.It also looks far more like the Mega City of the comic,with great use made of  the industrial backdrops of Cape Town South Africa,which acts as the hell city of the comic.think of a better way to re-introduce this character to cinema audiences.Think District 9 but with the graphic violence put up to max,with the druggies more like a bunch of zombies from 28 Days Later or the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.Dredd himself aka actor  Karl Urban is awesome just what i wanted,less talk more action,and the helmet stays firmly on,with a good splash of dark humor.

Director Pete Travis tackled the problem of filming on a small budget,by going down the Dark Knight route,by making something that looks nothing like a comic book and more like a film shot on location,a documentary on the life of a crime fighter.Plus by going for the 18 rating,he was not restricted in giving us a full on adult/comic violent action sci/fi fantasy,which could have ended up like Stallone's overweight take on Dredd.This never tries to be a kid's movie,it brings back memories of MAD MAX,ROAD WARRIOR and (Mad Max II)which where made on low budgets,but delivered pure entertainment.Another bonus is the wonderful supporting actors,they look like they just came off the street,scarred, nasty, sweaty and mean. Lena Headey nearly steals the show as the ruthless gang lord Ma Ma, calmly enjoying the gory deaths of her enemies,on her narcotic thrill ride of addiction.

But in the end it's Dredd,he is the Law with no sense of humor,this stony face Law Enforcer who cannot be bribed,or corrupted played in a cult ironic way by Karl Urban,who must be a huge fan himself.His performance is what makes this movie so wonderful,and for it's 95 minutes of great bloody action,he stands out as not the actor but as Dredd.Yes it's not prefect,and could do with a bigger budget,but for balls out Judge Dredd back on the big screen,well you leave wanting more.You feel the rush that only films like Mad Max and Dirty Harry where able to deliver,both aimed at us older Cinema fans,so get out there and enjoy the feast of 18 Cert comic fun,so Hollywood takes notice.Here's hoping for a part 2,3 etc etc.8/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 11/9/2012 7:42:38 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14374
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/9/2012 7:27:33 PM   
losthighway

Making the most of my local(ish) horror film festivals... bought tickets to see NIGHTBREED:THE CABAL CUT and V/H/S.

Plus, can anyone tell me if this is worth a blind buy...

< Message edited by losthighway -- 12/9/2012 7:29:14 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14375
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/9/2012 7:47:16 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Making the most of my local(ish) horror film festivals... bought tickets to see NIGHTBREED:THE CABAL CUT and V/H/S.

WOW!! "You Lucky,Lucky Bastard"Clive Barker's Night Breed restored and Q&As session bloody fantastic.
Now Paul might be able to shed light on Combat Shock,but not me this time,but with Arrow you can't go wrong???

Post #: 14376
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/9/2012 8:46:13 PM   
evil bill

Well i must say i was real pleased i took a mates advice and finaly got round to watching this fun MARVEL Film.
THE AVENGERS (2012)

When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.The name of this team is The Avengers,the Super Hero team up of a lifetime,with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow.Can they hold it togetter to save the Earth,or will there ego's get in the way??

Now this is one film i wish i had of gave it a chance and seen on the biggest screen i could have,for i regret not listening to a certain mate.But now i've seen it on Blu-Ray it will be top of this weeks must buy films,for Joss Whedon has put Marvel on top of the fun summer blockbuster comic film,in fact with such style and energy it will be hard to top this one.At two hours 23 minutes,it charges along at breakneck speed,yet still builds a great plot among all the awesome CGI,but with so much going on you might not even notice the plot.It is a pure popcorn thrill ride that provides Marvel comic fans with exactly what they desire,a full on epic of a fantasy film with most of there heroes,with great sharp,witty dialogue.

What a cast too with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,he is finally more than just the guy making surprise appearance,here he is finally able to be more like in the comic,and Jackson just glides into the role.Add to this all star cast Iron Man/Tony Stark aka Robert Downey Jr delivering his lines with total ease in a role he has made all his own,allowing his charisma and charm to light upevery scene he's in.Then there's Captain America/Steve Rogers aka Chris Evans,who again is just perfect in his role,as much as i'm not a fan of Captain America,i still enjoy this film and his part in the overall film.Also Thor aka Chris Hemswoand flexing his mussles once again as the God Of Thunder has some incredible battle scenes worth the rental alone.The big suurprise for me was the all new Hulk/Bruce Banner aka Mark Ruffalo who was far better suited to the role than the not so bad Eric Bana (The Hulk) or the pretty bad Ed Norton version (The Incredible Hulk),and get's the best gag in the film.Also in the role of the Black Widow is Scarlett Johansson, who get's a great back-story, which helps in developing the character and proves she is much more than just a sexy lady,for she is both psychologically and physically deadly like her name.On a low note of allthe heros Hawkeye aka Jeremy Renner get's the thin end of the stick with very little screen time to build on his role.as "assembled" by Nick Fury.

The film is well scripted with plenty of clever banter,funny moments, gripping action sequences,great visuals and superb use of CGI,plus and an air of mystery,with a few surprises along the way.This is a film made with a great love for comic books, and it is all  proudly put on display on the screen,yet it's no Dark Knight which is great,for too many try to match the Batman films of Nolan.No this is a fun ride on a huge canvas,which knows not to try and get compared to other comic films,it's made it's own spot and could be just as big a franchise as Nolans Batman Films.9/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14377
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/9/2012 8:18:29 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Search

Can't wait to read what you think of the uncut Nightbreed!

Post #: 14378
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/9/2012 8:20:13 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Well i must say i was real pleased i took a mates advice and finaly got round to watching this fun MARVEL Film.
THE AVENGERS (2012)

When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.The name of this team is The Avengers,the Super Hero team up of a lifetime,with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow.Can they hold it togetter to save the Earth,or will there ego's get in the way??

Now this is one film i wish i had of gave it a chance and seen on the biggest screen i could have,for i regret not listening to a certain mate.But now i've seen it on Blu-Ray it will be top of this weeks must buy films,for Joss Whedon has put Marvel on top of the fun summer blockbuster comic film,in fact with such style and energy it will be hard to top this one.At two hours 23 minutes,it charges along at breakneck speed,yet still builds a great plot among all the awesome CGI,but with so much going on you might not even notice the plot.It is a pure popcorn thrill ride that provides Marvel comic fans with exactly what they desire,a full on epic of a fantasy film with most of there heroes,with great sharp,witty dialogue.

What a cast too with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,he is finally more than just the guy making surprise appearance,here he is finally able to be more like in the comic,and Jackson just glides into the role.Add to this all star cast Iron Man/Tony Stark aka Robert Downey Jr delivering his lines with total ease in a role he has made all his own,allowing his charisma and charm to light upevery scene he's in.Then there's Captain America/Steve Rogers aka Chris Evans,who again is just perfect in his role,as much as i'm not a fan of Captain America,i still enjoy this film and his part in the overall film.Also Thor aka Chris Hemswoand flexing his mussles once again as the God Of Thunder has some incredible battle scenes worth the rental alone.The big suurprise for me was the all new Hulk/Bruce Banner aka Mark Ruffalo who was far better suited to the role than the not so bad Eric Bana (The Hulk) or the pretty bad Ed Norton version (The Incredible Hulk),and get's the best gag in the film.Also in the role of the Black Widow is Scarlett Johansson, who get's a great back-story, which helps in developing the character and proves she is much more than just a sexy lady,for she is both psychologically and physically deadly like her name.On a low note of allthe heros Hawkeye aka Jeremy Renner get's the thin end of the stick with very little screen time to build on his role.as "assembled" by Nick Fury.

The film is well scripted with plenty of clever banter,funny moments, gripping action sequences,great visuals and superb use of CGI,plus and an air of mystery,with a few surprises along the way.This is a film made with a great love for comic books, and it is all  proudly put on display on the screen,yet it's no Dark Knight which is great,for too many try to match the Batman films of Nolan.No this is a fun ride on a huge canvas,which knows not to try and get compared to other comic films,it's made it's own spot and could be just as big a franchise as Nolans Batman Films.9/10

I gave this 9 myself, big commercial blockbuster filmmaking almost as its best!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14379
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/9/2012 8:35:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

THE AVENGERS (2012)

I gave this 9 myself, big commercial blockbuster filmmaking almost as its best!

Another film i watched at the weekend,which is more beer film???but due to a good bit of violence and it's 15 cert,and 70's feel i'll give it a mention on this thread;
SAFE (2012)

Mei, a young girl whose memory holds a priceless numerical code, finds herself pursued by the Triads, the Russian mob, and corrupt NYC cops. Coming to her aid is a former elite agent turned cage fighter on the mixed martial arts circuit, Luke Wright who after blowing a fixed fight for the Russian Mafia,ends up with them  murdering his family and banishing him from his life forever.Leaving Luke to wander the streets of New York destitute, haunted by guilt, and tormented by the knowledge that he will always be watched, and anyone he develops a relationship with will also be killed.

The first twenty to thirty minutes or so introduces Luke Wright,aka Jason Statham, and Mei, played by the talented child actor Catherine Chan.It starts off as very much a 70's thriller with a good plot line and set up,and unlike his last couple of films,The Mechanic or Killer Elite which had that feel too but failed todeliver anything great.In ths straight to video film Statham's character is more complicated and interesting,and remined me of Steven Seagal's Out for Justice where one man must stand and fight the corruption that surounds him.But don't forget we don't watch Jason Statham movies expecting Oscar nominations no we get here a film John Woo would be proud of as bullets ricochet, punches fly,bones crunch and cars roar across the screen,as the body count mounts and the Triad, the Russian Mafia and corrupt cops come to blows.

It's surprising how well scripted this is,and director Boaz Yakin handles the scenes well and never lets the action or the script to fall flat,and avoids those bloody shit one liners and totielt humor.It's a pretty tight thriller with one hell of a body count,and just about fits the 15 cert it was given,as it's violence comes close to say Hard Boiled,yet it never over shoots.With a decent ending that keeps it more real than pure actioneer,and for me this is more the sort of film i like to see,even if the acting is just about average,except for Caroline Chan,who at such a young age never looks out of place. 7/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14380
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/9/2012 11:58:45 PM   
dannyfletch

Yes, I now own Avengers Assemble on fabulous blu-ray and loved it the second time round too :-) a superb superhero movie made with great love and respect for the comics.
I also purchased Safe with the Stath and really enjoyed that too. An easy to watch action flick that is actually one of Stath's better films so far. Oh and Bill, I'm quite sure it did get a cinema release and wasn't a straight to video as I remember it was on at a couple of my local cinema's.
Two great reviews that I couldn't agree with more.
I also purchased the excellent blu-ray release of the classic Jaws! If you have a blu-ray player it's a must buy, superb transfer with some great extras. A timeless classic that still makes me shit scared when I go swimming in the sea!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 19/9/2012 12:02:01 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14381
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 12:50:43 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ABSOLUTELY

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 14382
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 8:25:04 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Yes, I now own Avengers Assemble on fabulous blu-ray and loved it the second time round too :-) a superb superhero movie made with great love and respect for the comics.
I also purchased Safe with the Stath and really enjoyed that too. An easy to watch action flick that is actually one of Stath's better films so far. Oh and Bill, I'm quite sure it did get a cinema release and wasn't a straight to video as I remember it was on at a couple of my local cinema's.
Two great reviews that I couldn't agree with more.
I also purchased the excellent blu-ray release of the classic Jaws! If you have a blu-ray player it's a must buy, superb transfer with some great extras. A timeless classic that still makes me shit scared when I go swimming in the sea!

SAFE was advertised here on this side of the Irish pond as straight to video,as it never got a release here on the big screen,and yes it is one of the better Jason Statham films of late.Nice to see you and i seem to be on the same wave length,as i too bought JAWS Blu-Ray new edition,and yes it looks awesome,so as it's back on the shelves all remastered here's ye old review updated:
JAWS (1975 )

During the height of beach season, the Massachusetts resort town of Amity Island is terrorized one summer by surprise attacks from a great white shark. Three unlikely partners team up to hunt down the rogue and destroy it: the new chief of police from New York (Roy Scheider), a young university-educated oceanographer (Richard Dreyfuss), and a crusty old-time fisherman (Robert Shaw).
Now out totally remastered,and on Blu-Ray,this film has finally got the treatment it deserves,and sound and picture on this new re-release has never been better,of this film based on the best-selling novel of Peter Benchley.Steven Spielberg directed this thrill ride of terror,way back when he was cutting his teeth as a director.And as most of us film fans know,Jaws was more than a wee bit popular when it was released,in fact it was the highest grossing film of 1975. It spawned three sequels, which were all inferior,and a bunch of films about Sharks and killer fish over the past few decades,but none have been able to come close to the level of terror Jaws gave to us.For me it is one of the great Monster films of all time,and was not only a summer blockbuster action/drama,but a good old fashion horror film,we great slow build ups of terror,and then the jump out of your seat/wet your pants moments.

The film shoot was notoriously difficult for the young Spielberg, who had directed only one other feature film Duel,another excellent film that was more horror film than some people released at the time,with it's monster being a large oil tanker truck,with an unseen driver.For this film Steven had other ideas of how to put this on the screen but,the mechanical shark seldom operated correctly, and Spielberg was frequently forced to create the idea of terror without actually showing the shark. However,this is what added to the terror,along with,composer John Williams score, which has since become a well-known theme of impending doom.This is one of the greatest monster/horror films made,which i could never understand how it got a PG.The opening sequence is not only a classic, it's still frightening nearly four decades after it was made,it also has it's fair amount of blood and gore.Plus some truly shit your pants shocks,which are helped by the terrific character-driven story,with it's superb cast,who are all believable characters.

Jaws was a lot more than one of the first mega big movie's,IE Blockbusters,it was part of a cycle of paranoia films released in the late 70's reflecting the Vietnam War, Watergate scandal, anti-authoritarianism, and political apathy(sounds familiar???)Don't believe me well well watch it again.Examples; The Mayor and his lackeys persuade Chief Brody that Shark attacks are always isolated, and that he is inexperienced in such matters, he grudgingly agrees to keep quiet,consequently, the shark kills again and again.Chief Brody eventually finds himself dealing both with his own moral guilt for agreeing to hush up the first shark attack which appears to be his sole responsibility,as the slime ball Mayor tries to shift blame.Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss, in the role that propelled him to stardom,as the oceanographer dispatched to Amity to lend his expertise,see's there is a real problem that the Mayor and co choose to ignore/cover up.Then along comes Robert Shaw's Quint as one of the greatest anti-heroes the movies have ever seen. He is funny, frightening and powerful yet fair, and his story of the tragic sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the  90 US Navy personnel who died from shark attack wounds,is one of the most chilling and unforgettable performances ever committed to film.Overall a true masterclass in suspense,that has you in it's grip right to the thrilling action packed finale,a true classic.10/10

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14383
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 9:19:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

Yeah Safe was certainly in cinemas in the UK, I think I gave it 6.5, not sure! Bill your great review of Jaws has reminded I reviewed all four Jaws films recently on the 'other site', I'll post in due course, for the mean time, here's;

While poaching in the Florida Everglades, Lem Sawyer fires five shots into a giant leechlike creature, but everyone just thinks he’s drunk until State Game Warden Steven Benton finds Lem’s body, his face covered with marks like those that would be made by the tentacles of a giant squid or octopus. For the next two days, Steve takes his girlfriend, Nan Greyson, and a rowboat, and they go searching the back channels of the swamp, but to no avail. Meanwhile the owner of the local store Dave Walker has to contend with his slutty wife Liz. After one of their usual rows, Dave leaves the store to make a grocery delivery and Liz sneaks out with her current paramour, Dave’s best friend Cal Moulton. Liz and Cal end up out in the swamps where they are found in each other’s arms by Liz’s husband and his double-barrelled shotgun, but of course Dave is not the only menace out there…..

I suppose it really depends on what types of films you like. Attack Of The Giant Leeches is pure B-movie trash with laughable monsters, shoddy acting and crappy dialogue, and I’m not going to say it’s a good film, but….well, the premise of giant leeches killing off folk in the Florida Everglades is certainly appealing to me, so if you’re an undemanding monster movie fan you should get some enjoyment out of it, plus the film does have other pleasures even if they’re mostly more amusing than actually good. It was one of several films produced by Gene Corman, the brother of B-movie king Roger Corman, though his productions tended not to have the quality of those of his brother’s. Filmed on location in Florida, it was, typically, made quickly and cheaply, with the giant leeches being men in huge black plastic sacks with fake ‘suckers’ on. It was a sure-fire hit at drive-in theatres and was subsequently re-released under the titles Attack of the Blood Leeches, The Giant Leeches and She Demons of the Swamp, while in the UK, accompanied of course by the obligatory ‘X’ certificate, it was called Demons of the Swamp. A straight to DVD remake was made in 2008 and is perhaps a little better though not as much fun.

It opens with a drunk hillbilly shooting one of the leeches five times, than, rather than running, he just casually has another swig from his jug of moonshine. This is one of those movies where people behave like idiots throughout. The ‘hero’, State Game Warden Steve, brings his girlfriend out whilst looking for what is thought to be either poachers [so dangerous men with guns then] or alligators, while other idiots go out searching for vicious alligators either in a tiny rowing boat and poke around in the water with sticks, or just march through the swamp in boots. We are also supposed to believe that a giant leech can locate and kill someone in revenge for that person killing one of their number. The first half is actually less concerned with the giant leeches and more about trampy Liz, who is introduced walking into a room full of sweaty men in a negligee and brushing her teeth. Presumably all that foamy toothpaste dribbling from her mouth is supposed to be sexy. Actually actress Yvette Vickers is rather sexy in a tarty way and she is quite a memorable Bad Girl [as she was in some other films too] but of course has to pay for her ways in a scene which has a surprising sense of realism about it, where her bald, fat husband [no surprise there] finds her with a boyfriend and forces them into the swamp with a gun.

After this, too much of the film consists of people looking for the monsters, but the location does give it an authentic atmosphere and, though the creatures just look plain funny, the scenes of their prisoners trapped in an underwater cave, half-comatose, while the slurping menaces prepare to suck more of their blood, are actually genuinely horrific. The fear and agony of the victims, especially poor Liz, is transmitted very well and even the acting is quite good here though elsewhere it’s as poor as you would expect. Their lavatorial noises are quite chilling and almost atone for their stupid appearance, and actually the film avoids showing them too much anyway. Another rather macabre scene has dead bodies floating to the top of the water. Director Bernard L. Kowalski certainly shows a knack for this kind of thing, though thisis only one of two films of this kind that he made, the other being Night Of The Blood Beast.

The film climaxes with some reasonable underwater action [which adds to the The Creature From The Black Lagoon feel] and even throws in a possible explanation for the giant leeches. Of course, it’s the fault of those pesky atomic rocket tests at Cape Canaveral! Overall there’s not quite enough action to satisfy even the brief running time but the film certainly isn’t boring and benefits from a sometimes evocative score by Alexander Laszlo, even though it’s actually recycled from Night Of The Blood Beast. I should mention that the print of the UK DVD is very poor and this seems to be the case with most versions of this film, but it’s generally available at bargain bin prices so I doubt many will complain! You’ll probably laugh at the film’s badness but you’ll also be entertained [which is why I'm rating it a little higher than I probably should]. As long as you like this kind of film of course. Anyone else need not really apply.

Rating: 4/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 19/9/2012 9:35:23 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14384
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 9:24:17 PM   
Dr Lenera

Now I know this might be a kiddie cartoonn, but I loved it so I'm posting

Norman is an outsider in his home town of Blithe Hollow and especially at school. He has one great gift; an ability to see and talk to the dead, but nobody believes his ability is real until he makes friends with Neil, a similarly bullied boy but in his case mostly because of his weight. During a rehearsal for a school play commemorating the time when, 300 years ago, the town executed a witch, Norman has a harrowing vision of the town’s past and being pursued as a witch. Afterwards, the boys are confronted by Norman’s estranged and seemingly deranged uncle Mr. Prenderghast, who tells his nephew that the vision is a sign that he soon must take up his regular ritual to protect the town. Norman refuses to take him seriously, but after another vision and his uncle’s sudden death, he realizes he himself has to go into action…….

Quite often it seems that two films of a similar or the same subject matter come out at around the same time. This seemed to reach a peak in the early 90’s where you had two Robin Hood films, two Wyatt Earp films etc. This year it seems that we are going to be treated to not two but three horror-orientated animated films, with not just this particular film but Hotel Transylvania and Frankenweenie near their release dates. You might expect that the Tim Burton movie would be the one to beat, but it would have a hard time bettering ParaNorman, which I have no bones about saying is easily the best animated film of the year so far, a year that has hardly been a vintage year for animation with the latest offerings from Aardman and Pixar in particular disappointing considerably. Have no fear, this is easily the equal of the same directors’ previous stop motion picture Coraline; in fact, its better.

Right from the opening scene, if you’re a horror fan you should get quite a bit of enjoyment from this movie, with our hero watching a zombie film where the heroine trips over brains and, in a great mickey-take of a horror cliche, just stands there screaming while a flesh-eater slowly shuffles towards her. The story borrows from several typical ‘concepts’ that can be found in many horror films but subverts and twists them, while of course there are many more ‘blatant’ references fans will pick up on, from Night Of The Living Dead to Cannibal Apocalypse, but they don’t jump out at you; if you don’t ‘get’ the references, children and those with little knowledge of horror movies won’t feel they have missed out. Much has been made of this film being too scary for young children, something I think is utter nonsense; they often love being scared, and it’s good for them from time to time. I should also point out that, yes, there’s much Sam Raimi-type slapstick involving severed arms and head and the like, but no blood.

Like Coraline, ParaNorman is a bit slow going at first but there is little doubt that directors Chris Butler and Sam Fell have total control of their story in the scene where Norman walks through the town, accompanied by Jon Brion’s infectious music; the camera goes all the way round him and when we next see things from the point of view of Norman, we see all the ghosts around him, a transition handled with great economy but skilfully manage. Yes, this Norman can see dead people and even talk to them, but the story becomes about far more than that, with zombies, a witch’s curse and terrible events dredged up from the past taking centre stage. The zombies are handled especially well, being both a bit scary and bit funny [especially during their resurrection scene], and the witch is actually rather frightening when depicted as a huge face seemingly made out of clouds. The film is vey original in depicting these elements; for a start, let’s just say that much of the villainous activity is not committed by those you may expect. There are plenty of the expected laughs, the odd one very crude, and I wondered if the film really needed them, but I was glad they were there [there’s a wonderfully yucky gag with a falling corpse] and of course they temper the scary stuff for the kiddies.

ParaNorman is very much a parable about bullying, a subject close to many children’s hearts. There is also good stuff for the young here about how it’s OK to be unpopular, and we are also shown how weak people become aggressive when they’re frightened. The message of tolerance is a very worthwhile one, though there has already been much fuss made about a revelation in the final scene about one character being gay; I don’t have a problem with it considering it is in a film which is rated ‘PG’, which stand for ‘Parental Guidance’. If it had been in a ‘U’ film then I probably would be one of those who take issue with it, but it’s not. Throughout the film, it’s great to see some characters who sometimes reverse our expectations. I especially liked Norman’s older sister Courtney, perfectly voiced by Anna Hendrick, who comes across as the archetypal self-obsessed bimbo but doesn’t finish the film that way. I liked even more that, after giving us plenty of action and excitement, the actual climax of the film involves a simple conversation with a ghost in the past. It’s rather touching and even quite beautiful.

With each film, stop motion seems to be getting better and better and even with the obvious assistance from computers I still think it has an expressive quality which you don’t really get in computer animation. I hope that Focus Features carry on making their films in this manner [though their first animated feature 9, which was purely computer animated, was pretty impressive too]. Some of the minor characters looked suspiciously like folk from other animated films [look out for Woody!], I don’t know if this was intentional or not. I would imagine the latter but I don’t know. One could ask similar questions about Jon Brion’s score, which is very good and is mostly slightly different to what you would normally here, but it has a cue near the end which is clearly modelled on a cue from The Fountain; the fact that the scene in question has somewhat similar yellow visuals made the connection rather too obvious for me!

Some may find the messages are hammered out too unsubtly but this is a kid’s movie after all…albeit one that many adults should thoroughly enjoy too with its edge, lack of sugar-coating and sheer invention…and that especially means horror fans! Need I add that I didn’t see this in that rip-off they call 3D [I'm still smarting from being forced to see Dredd in 3D because the 2D showings are so thin on the ground] and that the 2D version gives all the visual and immersion you could want. Now come on Mr Burton, the challenge is on; beat this!

Rating: 8.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14385
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 9:44:00 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Yeah Safe was certainly in cinemas in the UK, I think I gave it 6.5, not sure! Bill your great review of Jaws has reminded I reviewed all four Jaws films recently on the 'other site', I'll post in due course, for the mean time, here's;

The film climaxes with some reasonable underwater action [which adds to the The Creature From The Black Lagoon feel] and even throws in a possible explanation for the giant leeches. Of course, it's the fault of those pesky atomic rocket tests at Cape Canaveral! Overall there's not quite enough action to satisfy even the brief running time but the film certainly isn't boring and benefits from a sometimes evocative score by Alexander Laszlo, even though it's actually recycled from Night Of The Blood Beast. I should mention that the print of the UK DVD is very poor and this seems to be the case with most versions of this film, but it's generally available at bargain bin prices so I doubt many will complain! You'll probably laugh at the film's badness but you'll also be entertained [which is why I'm rating it a little higher than I probably should]. As long as you like this kind of film of course. Anyone else need not really apply.

Rating: 4.5/10

Good to see you alsogave SAFE a decent score only .5 below me,now that proves you're a sucker like me for this type of thriller.The Blu-Ray of JAWS is bloody awesome,it's as good as the transfer they did at FOX for A L I E N,a real must buy.
Another great review of a forgotten Strange/Weird film,ijust adore these B Movies,and am about to dosome write up's on the Corman/Poe films of the 60's for this thread of course.
quote:

Some may find the messages are hammered out too unsubtly but this is a kid’s movie after all…albeit one that many adults should thoroughly enjoy too with its edge, lack of sugar-coating and sheer invention…and that especially means horror fans! Need I add that I didn’t see this in that rip-off they call 3D [I'm still smarting from being forced to see Dredd in 3D because the 2D showings are so thin on the ground] and that the 2D version gives all the visual and immersion you could want. Now come on Mr Burton, the challenge is on; beat this!

Just like Nightmare Before Christmas this belongs on this thread,so what if it's a Kids???film,it's bloody strange and maybe candy coated horror,but my kids want to see this and now i do too.So thanks Doc i'll get out to a matnee near me this weekend,maybe some what hungover,but what the hell.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14386
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 10:31:06 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just watched this awesome Korean monster movie from 2011. I'm terrible at writing reviews but suffice to say i really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Deep Rising but with less humour and much better FX. A big monster is loose on a Korean oirl rig and is causing all kinds of carnage. It's a survival horror action movie with a fantastic creature and great visuals and CG. The 3D is really good too, i believe this was shot natively. The US blu is region locked so you'll need a multi region player or maybe the DVD is easier to get hold of. I highly recommend this for any fans of monsters. The movie is quite cheesy but it delivers in terms of its visuals and FX.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14387
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 19/9/2012 11:57:03 PM   
dannyfletch

Ok so let's disregard the Jaws sequels and pretend they never existed! Apart from Jaws 2 which I quite liked, the other 2 are dire and should never have been made!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14388
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 12:02:48 AM   
dannyfletch

An excellent review of Jaws there Bill :-) you have done it justice. I would like to add that I've always found the mechanical shark pretty effective and quite realistic. It still beats any CGI shark by far! It's a film that many have tried to imitate since but have never even got close.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14389
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 1:19:23 PM   
losthighway

COMBAT SHOCK is on its way in the post and...

I watched AVENGERS ASSEMBLE yesterday. Not much to say about the film other than Whedon hasn't done anything decent since his Buffy/Angel years and this hasn't changed that fact. I prefer the individual character films over this; a big, loud, spectacle of a film with too many characters and no heart. Just about passable for the best incarnation of a CGI Hulk yet. Overall: 3/5

Also finished reading JAMES HERBERT'S ASH this week. It starts off well but sags in the middle and call me an old fart but I actually found it offensive with some of its characters (he uses real life people in the narrative). Worth a read but nowhere near as good as his last book, Secret of Crickley Hall... which is now a 3 part BBC adaptation airing this Halloween for those interested. I can't wait!

Post #: 14390
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 6:09:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

Ken is a handsome young actor who has become a superstar and the dream date of every girl, something which he callously takes advantage of. While he can attract any woman he wants, every detail of his life seems to end up in gossip columns and tabloid magazines. When he dumps his two previous girlfriends, one of whom he got pregnant, they are exposed by the media. He begins another relationship with his latest co-star Ploy. When news leaks that they will marry, the media goes into a frenzy and the couple’s dream life turns into a nightmare. It seems that someone is stalking them, day and night. Is it an ex-girlfriend, an obsessed fan or vengeful paparazzi?….

Every now and again a cautionary tale for men who sleep around and use women simply as notches on their bedpost comes along. The Thai effort My Ex is the latest in the line of films probably begun by Play Misty For Me [though the most popular of which is Fatal Attraction] where the rejected or dumped woman turns out to be a nutcase who just won’t leave the man alone and may even have murder on her hands. The idea has been called sexist by some but to me it just cleverly plays on male fears [though women of course can enjoy it in a different way!]. My Ex seemed to be just a supernatural variation on the basic story [even if it sounds like a rom-com or teen movie!] but actually turned out to be a full-blown horror movie which will instantly remind some viewers of films like Shutter and What Lies Beneath. It’s a reasonably good effort, but struggles to make an overall feeling of déjŕ vu go away for some of the time.

The titles adroitly show us the frantic life of Ken in quick black and white shots. He seems to have the world in the palm of his hand. He is young, handsome, rich, successful and can seemingly have any woman he wants, something that he takes advantage of constantly. Sadly there is also constant media scrutiny, and there already a sense that Ken wants to get away from all this. We see him dumping two girlfriends, giving the typical callous male response to being told by one of them that she is pregnant; “are you sure it’s mine?” We don’t really like this guy very much, and this is interesting when weird things start to happen, because we are actually getting some enjoyment out of watching him getting scared. He seems to be paying for his behaviour, unlike Ploy, his latest paramour, who not only doesn’t deserve to get a rat like him but also doesn’t deserve to be haunted by one of Ken’s exes.

My Ex gets into the spooky stuff almost immediately with little build up and for a while is quite scary indeed. Ghosts suddenly appearing in mirrors or in rooms or in photographs are old-hat in the horror genre and there isn’t much that is new here but some of it is well handled enough that I personally jumped a few times and felt shivers pleasantly working their way done my spine. A hand in a bath did it for me [sometimes it's the simple things that work best] and there’s one tremendously frightening bit where Ploy is in the foreground on the right hand side of the frame and on the left hand side we see the ghost, first of all in the distance, then getting rapidly closer and closer without actually seeming to walking. The exceedingly creepy atmosphere is enhanced by the camera constantly prowling behind Ken and Ploy and subtle music design consisting of mostly just ambient droning and whispering [dare I bring up the hallowed name of Suspiria here?], though director Piyapan Choopetch is too fond of the lazy trend for using a loud audio “BANG” during a scare. You may have seen it all before, but I reckon you will probably too gripped to care much about it, though I began to wonder how the film could sustain this intensity, and my suspicions were confirmed.

I think that many horror fans would agree that films which pile on the scares right from the word go have a tendency to run out of steam; most of the true classics take their time in building up to the thrills and chills. Sadly My Ex loses its edge around two fifths of the way through. The spook is shown too much, the picture becomes overly repetitious and gives the impression that it has no more tricks up its sleeve so it just repeats old ones. Ghosts showing up in photographs always give me the shudders, but here there are so many scenes of people looking at spectral snaps that the terror ebbs away. The film is still reasonably involving and interesting though. The plot eventually starts to resolve itself with one surprise [well to me anyway; there may be armchair sleuths which will have worked it out already] and some clever use of flashbacks which sometimes fill in missing parts of scenes we have already seen, and then just when you think things are finishing, we are given seemingly two or even three endings. The final scenes have that spiritual aspect common in the endings of many Asian horror/fantasy pictures and I was a little moved, but I was also a little confused and it seems that Choopetch and his two co-writers have come a little stuck in trying to finish their story. We even have a typical ‘shock’ finish that actually comes across as being cheap and jars with the previous few minutes.

Feminists will probably have a field day with a film that presents ex–girlfriends as veering from simply clingy to totally mad, but we are clearly intended to sympathise with all the women in the film. Ken never really comes across as someone we like, though by the end of the movie he has clearly learnt the error of his ways and the effects they have had. Surprisingly and disappointingly for an Asian film with three such sexy ladies, there is no nudity and little sex, but it does get pretty gory towards the end with some gruesome self-mutilation that came along just as I was wondering how this film got it’s ‘18’ certificate when seemingly ‘stronger’ horror films get through with a ‘15’. The limited special effects do the job, though some dreadful CG shattered glass lets the side down, in a film that has not one but three fatal crashes involving fast-moving vehicles. Overall My Ex proves that Thai films are looking better and better [check out, for example, the great silhouette shots at the beginning] despite still having budgets that would probably barely count as lunch money on a Hollywood production.

Shahkrit Yamnarm, best known for the original version of Bangkok Dangerous, again proves what a solid actor he is. He refuses to fall into the trap of making Ken too likeable and convincingly suggests the emotions buried deep underneath. There is much to like about My Ex, even if it goes a little downhill after a while and clearly needed more work on the second half. A solid hit in Thailand, it quickly led to a sequel the same year, My Ex 2: Haunted Love, which from the sounds of it seems to be more than just a thoughtless cash-in. I hope that MVM, who are releasing the first film on DVD in the UK, decide to give that a UK release too.

Rating: 7/10

Post #: 14391
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 6:48:09 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just watched this awesome Korean monster movie from 2011. I'm terrible at writing reviews but suffice to say i really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Deep Rising but with less humour and much better FX. A big monster is loose on a Korean oirl rig and is causing all kinds of carnage. It's a survival horror action movie with a fantastic creature and great visuals and CG. The 3D is really good too, i believe this was shot natively. The US blu is region locked so you'll need a multi region player or maybe the DVD is easier to get hold of. I highly recommend this for any fans of monsters. The movie is quite cheesy but it delivers in terms of its visuals and FX.

Hey don't worry about writing a full blown review,LH and many others keep it short and too the point,which was the way this thread started.The whole idea is to give films of the weird/strange kind a platform,where hopefully they get new fans,so keep it up,for i love it when someone post's a film i haven't seen or even heard of,and at the moment there seems to be a good few Korean films that need a platform. Anyway sounds like the kind of movie we here love,though i'll have to go for a DVD of it as the Blu-Ray player is UK region only,where the DVD player is multi region with 1080P upscaling.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14392
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 6:54:50 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Ok so let's disregard the Jaws sequels and pretend they never existed! Apart from Jaws 2 which I quite liked, the other 2 are dire and should never have been made!

Jaws 2 was decent but never matched the sheer tension and build upof the orginal,and as for the other one's,a lession in how to kill off a franchise,which it should never have been turned into.
quote:

An excellent review of Jaws there Bill :-) you have done it justice. I would like to add that I've always found the mechanical shark pretty effective and quite realistic. It still beats any CGI shark by far! It's a film that many have tried to imitate since but have never even got close.

Yeah it beat the CGI shark by miles,and still looks pretty awesome,which is all down to one great director with a vision.

Post #: 14393
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 6:54:51 PM   
Dr Lenera

A young woman named Chrissie Watkins leaves an evening beach party on New England’s Amity Island to go skinny dipping in the sea, only to be killed by something that may be a shark. Amity’s police chief Martin Brody, who is scared of the water anyway, wants to close the beaches but is overruled by Mayor Larry Vaughan, who fears that reports of a shark attack will ruin the summer tourist season, the town’s primary source of income. The medical examiner consequently attributes the death to a boating accident and Brody reluctantly goes along with the explanation. A short time later, a boy is killed by a shark at the beach. The boy’s mother places a bounty on the shark, sparking an amateur shark-hunting frenzy and attracting the attention of local professional shark hunter Quint. Marine biologist Matt Hooper examines Chrissie’s remains and determines that she was unquestionably killed by a shark………

I will never forget the first time I saw Jaws [1974]. It was late 1978, and my mother and stepfather had just seen Jaws 2. As Jaws 2 was deemed not too scary, they decided to take me to a re-release of the first movie. It was only the second film I had seen at the cinema and I was on edge throughout, except for the moment I jumped out of my seat and screamed out loud at the shock cut to the head of the dead man underwater. You have to remember that I hadn’t seen many films of any kind up to then, and certainly none of an even slight horror element. Nonetheless, it remains one of the most memorable times in my cinema-going history and I can remember bits of it like yesterday. Jaws is one of those films that seems to be remembered with almost total fondness. Even though there had been many ‘mega-hits’ before, Jaws is regarded as the first modern-style blockbuster, with mass marketing supporting an easily digestable ‘high concept’. It’s also regarded as still one of the best, and for once I just about agree with the majority view. I say ‘just about’, because for me Steven Spielberg’s best work is Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, his ultimate masterpiece. Nonetheless, I don’t think he never quite matched neither that movie nor Jaws, and there is no doubt that Jaws is one of those films that is hard to find flaws in. It has that elusive magic that every now and again will touch a film and make it more than the sum of its parts. And it’s certainly the best possible picture you could make from the concept of ‘shark eats people and men hunt it’.

Jaws originated as a novel by Peter Benchley, who wrote three drafts, each one removing more ‘fat’ from the book, most notably Hooper having an affair with Brody’s wife. It was Carl Gottlieb who became the primary screenwriter though various contributions came from others all throughout production. In fact Richard Dreyfuss, who played Hooper, stated; “we started the film without a script, without a cast, and without a shark”, summing up the haphazard way in which the film was made. The shoot went way over budget, way over time [planned shooting period was 55 days, actual shooting period was 159 days], and problems of every conceivable kind occurred, from sinking boats to Dreyfuss being trapped in the underwater cage to Robert Shaw getting blind drunk at every opportunity. Most notably, the mechanical sharks kept malfunctioning, forcing Spielberg to show the creature far less than he intended. This probably helped the film. Still, on average, only four hours out of a twelve hour day were normally spent actually filming.

Rumours persist that the initial cut was a boring mess and the film was rescued by Verna Fields in the editing room, though the deleted scenes that survive are mostly pointless and uninteresting extentions of existing scenes [though Shaw has a nice little scene in a fisherman’s shop]. A version which was six minutes longer was shown on US TV with these scenes put back in. Spielberg was happy he had one huge ‘scream’ moment at the eighty minute mark when the shark jumps out of the water, but wanted another, so he added that head in the water which made me jump those many years ago. Interestingly, test results showed that the shark moment was less effective second time round, because people had already had one ‘scream’ , and were more ready for another one. An interesting example of both the attitudes and often the results of modern ‘blockbuster’ filmmaking which continues to this day. Still, Jaws was a phenomena, though its success wasn’t entirely beneficial. Sharks, especially great whites, began to be hunted and killed off in far greater numbers than before.

Viewing Jaws again, it seems odd that so few films before it, or at least few films of much quality, had exploited the sheer terrifying aspects of a shark, because it seems so obvious. The fin in the water, the fact they make virtually no noise, the simply evil face which looks like it was designed to kill, those soulless eyes; they are incredibly scary. The first half of Jaws alternates shark attack scenes, often shot from the shark’s point of view, with slower, more talky sequences. Of course the opening scene, which is [probably deliberately] reminiscent of The Creature From The Black Lagoon in the slightly sexual way the victim’s swim is shot, is superb, but for me it’s beaten by the scene a bit later on the beach where, for what seems like an eternity, we see the people playing, and we see Brody looking out to the sea for any signs of the shark. The camera often keeps a cool distance, and yet the almost casual suspense is incredible, comparable I think to Gary Grant on the highway in North By Northwest. There’s a superb little bit of business where people pass Brody and each time his face is closer to the camera, visualizing his emotions. You actually want something horrid to happen, to see a glimmer of a fin in the seat, to hear a scream, but of course don’t want it at the same time. When it finally occurs, Brody’s feeling is shown by the camera zooming on Brody while the background zooms out at the same time, a trick borrowed from Vertigo [well, Hitchcock is evoked throughout the film].

The whole thing about trying to stop people going into the water by closing the beach, though commenting on the arrogance, greed and insensitivity of political figures in the shape of Mayor Larry Vaughn, is actually a bit silly and pointless; surely it would be easier just to tell them there is a shark out there? You could also maybe say that Jaws is a little too heavy on the chit-chat compared to what it would be today. I could maybe have done with a little less footage of people massing about on the harbour, but I like the way the camera often stays far away, like an observer. Watching one scene of some people crossing the harbour on a boat, I kept thinking how differently said scene would be shot now, with lots of cross-cutting and close-ups, and how it wouldn’t have made it any better. The way the dialogue is messy and often barely audible, with people trying to say things at the same time, helps give proceedings a kind of realism, and ‘character’ scenes which would probably be cut if the film was made today, constantly remind us that Jaws is for adults. Yes, kids, if they’re brave enough, get enough shark thrills to take them through the ‘boring’ bits, but first and foremost it is an adult film. It doesn’t talk down to its audience, it never feels it has to ‘dumb down’, yet neither does it give in to sentimentality. The silent scene where Brody’s son copies what he does at the table is one of the most touching scenes between a father and a child in cinema, and yet it’s low-key, almost casual.

That was actually improvised, as were some other great moments like the “we’re gonna need a bigger boat” line and the aftermath of the famous ‘Indianapolis’ speech, Jaws’s most famous dialogue scene, on the boat where he, Hooper and Brody are hunting the shark. Quint describes how he was on a ship which was sunk and most of the crew were eaten by sharks [actually a true event, and something that would make a great film in its own right]. The writing of the scene is a source of controversy, with it usually being attributed to John Milius, but with several others taking claim for it, including Robert Shaw himself. Whatever, it’s brilliantly delivered by Shaw who shows what a fine and underused actor he was, though there are other parts of that whole sequence I love more, like Quint and Hooper comparing injuries [how many times has this been copied and parodied?], and Hooper crushing his Styrofoam cup in response to Quint crushing his beer can. I almost wish there had been even more time spent with these three guys, alone on the boat.

However, there is a shark to catch, and the second half, though set mostly on the boat, still delivers all the thrills and spills you want. Hooper in the underwater cage is still a hair-raising sequence and all the more so for being mainly shot with a stuntman and a real shark. I will admit that, towards the end, where ‘Bruce’ [as they called him, though others were used too], the mechanical shark, is shown, the result is not too convincing, but, you know what, I doubt it would look much better if done with CGI, which, as I’ve said in previous reviews, often looks very fake indeed to me. The brief gore effects such as Quint’s leg being bitten into as he is eaten and an arm floating in the water still look fine, which brings me to the question of how the hell this film got a ‘PG’? It would soon become a normal thing for Spielberg to get material into a ‘PG’ which other directors wouldn’t have a hope in hell of doing. Interestingly it is now a ‘12A’ for its re-release, a rare occasion where I agree with the BBFC!

The three main stars play their parts brilliantly; Roy Scheider as a quintessential, Hitchcockian everyman caught up in terror, Dreyfuss as a scientist who is not at all nerdy or self-righteous, and Shaw as a modern day Captain Ahab in a film that could almost be called Moby Dick meets An Enemy Of The People, though that of course is doing it an injustice! Of course I cannot finish this review without mentioning John Williams’s iconic music, with its menacing two note theme that Spielberg initially rejected, but the whole score is a masterpiece, ranging from low-range, menacing atonality to jaunty sea shanty-type music which, far from being out of place, enhances the optimistic feel of the film. This film is already full of the Spielberg trademarks but has a maturity about it that actually makes it seem like a film he would make in his later years, not his earlier ones. My personal view about Jaws is that it is just a notch or two below being one of the greatest films, and yet, as I said above, I cannot really think how it could have been better.

ORDER OF SERIES IN TERMS OF QUALITY

1/ Jaws Rating: 9.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14394
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 7:06:40 PM   
evil bill

quote:

COMBAT SHOCK is on its way in the post and...

I watched AVENGERS ASSEMBLE yesterday. Not much to say about the film other than Whedon hasn't done anything decent since his Buffy/Angel years and this hasn't changed that fact. I prefer the individual character films over this; a big, loud, spectacle of a film with too many characters and no heart. Just about passable for the best incarnation of a CGI Hulk yet. Overall: 3/5

Also finished reading JAMES HERBERT'S ASH this week. It starts off well but sags in the middle and call me an old fart but I actually found it offensive with some of its characters (he uses real life people in the narrative). Worth a read but nowhere near as good as his last book, Secret of Crickley Hall... which is now a 3 part BBC adaptation airing this Halloween for those interested. I can't wait!

Well you might not have enjoyed The Avengers as much as some of us,but you do agree it's had the best incarnation of a CGI Hulk,but i did go further as Mark Ruffalo was far better suited to do Bruce Banner,he just fitted the role like glove to hand.
Now being a big fan of James Herbert i to am looking forward to Secret of Crickley Hall as a 3 part BBC adaptation airing this Halloween.Sad to hear his latest book ASH which is sitting on my coffee table,is not upto his usual standred.I wish a lot more of his books had become films,there's just to many to mention but SHRINE is just dieing to be a film.

Post #: 14395
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 7:16:28 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Shahkrit Yamnarm, best known for the original version of Bangkok Dangerous, again proves what a solid actor he is. He refuses to fall into the trap of making Ken too likeable and convincingly suggests the emotions buried deep underneath. There is much to like about My Ex, even if it goes a little downhill after a while and clearly needed more work on the second half. A solid hit in Thailand, it quickly led to a sequel the same year, My Ex 2: Haunted Love, which from the sounds of it seems to be more than just a thoughtless cash-in. I hope that MVM, who are releasing the first film on DVD in the UK, decide to give that a UK release too.

Rating: 7/10

Now this is what i was talking about,a film i had not heard or seen,so top marks to the Dr and DK,and as always one hell of a write up,and the same goes for:
quote:

The brief gore effects such as Quint’s leg being bitten into as he is eaten and an arm floating in the water still look fine, which brings me to the question of how the hell this film got a ‘PG’? It would soon become a normal thing for Spielberg to get material into a ‘PG’ which other directors wouldn’t have a hope in hell of doing. Interestingly it is now a ‘12A’ for its re-release, a rare occasion where I agree with the BBFC!

The three main stars play their parts brilliantly; Roy Scheider as a quintessential, Hitchcockian everyman caught up in terror, Dreyfuss as a scientist who is not at all nerdy or self-righteous, and Shaw as a modern day Captain Ahab in a film that could almost be called Moby Dick meets An Enemy Of The People, though that of course is doing it an injustice! Of course I cannot finish this review without mentioning John Williams’s iconic music, with its menacing two note theme that Spielberg initially rejected, but the whole score is a masterpiece, ranging from low-range, menacing atonality to jaunty sea shanty-type music which, far from being out of place, enhances the optimistic feel of the film. This film is already full of the Spielberg trademarks but has a maturity about it that actually makes it seem like a film he would make in his later years, not his earlier ones. My personal view about Jaws is that it is just a notch or two below being one of the greatest films, and yet, as I said above, I cannot really think how it could have been better.

ORDER OF SERIES IN TERMS OF QUALITY

1/ Jaws Rating: 9.5/10

I'm glad the BBFC rasied the cert from PG to a more real 12A,it always bugged me how they let Steven's films off with some brutal gore scenes back then.Take Jaws as example and then Raiders Of The Lost Ark with exploding heads and melting flesh,persons impaled,rotting corpses etc.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14396
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 7:28:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Hey don't worry about writing a full blown review,LH and many others keep it short and too the point,which was the way this thread started.The whole idea is to give films of the weird/strange kind a platform,where hopefully they get new fans,so keep it up,for i love it when someone post's a film i haven't seen or even heard of,and at the moment there seems to be a good few Korean films that need a platform. Anyway sounds like the kind of movie we here love,though i'll have to go for a DVD of it as the Blu-Ray player is UK region only,where the DVD player is multi region with 1080P upscaling.

Well i hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to check it out bill. it has bonus points for having a motorcycle chase on an oil rig, now there's a first!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14397
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 20/9/2012 8:59:19 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

The film climaxes with some reasonable underwater action [which adds to the The Creature From The Black Lagoon feel] and even throws in a possible explanation for the giant leeches. Of course, it's the fault of those pesky atomic rocket tests at Cape Canaveral! Overall there's not quite enough action to satisfy even the brief running time but the film certainly isn't boring and benefits from a sometimes evocative score by Alexander Laszlo, even though it's actually recycled from Night Of The Blood Beast. I should mention that the print of the UK DVD is very poor and this seems to be the case with most versions of this film, but it's generally available at bargain bin prices so I doubt many will complain! You'll probably laugh at the film's badness but you'll also be entertained [which is why I'm rating it a little higher than I probably should]. As long as you like this kind of film of course. Anyone else need not really apply.

Rating: 4.5/10

Good to see you alsogave SAFE a decent score only .5 below me,now that proves you're a sucker like me for this type of thriller.The Blu-Ray of JAWS is bloody awesome,it's as good as the transfer they did at FOX for A L I E N,a real must buy.
Another great review of a forgotten Strange/Weird film,ijust adore these B Movies,and am about to dosome write up's on the Corman/Poe films of the 60's for this thread of course.
quote:

Just like Nightmare Before Christmas this belongs on this thread,so what if it's a Kids???film,it's bloody strange and maybe candy coated horror,but my kids want to see this and now i do too.So thanks Doc i'll get out to a matnee near me this weekend,maybe some what hungover,but what the hell.

And forgot to mention, look forward to reading those Corman/Poe reviews, it's the sort of thing I would go through one day, but after Universal horror I am going on to Hammer and also all the films of Alfred Hitchcock!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14398
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 12:08:58 AM   
dannyfletch

Another damn fine review there Dr :-) although I would give Jaws a 10 personally along with Raiders of the Lost Ark ( possibly my favourite Spielberg film ever!) I think, along with Close Encounters, that's my top 3 of his movies to date.

Not surprised at all that good old LH didn't care for Avengers much. I actually thought a whole lot of heart and soul went into making it something quite special. Let's hope Ruffalo does an Incredible Hulk movie soon!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14399
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 21/9/2012 10:08:54 AM   
losthighway

quote:

Another damn fine review there Dr :-) although I would give Jaws a 10 personally along with Raiders of the Lost Ark ( possibly my favourite Spielberg film ever!) I think, along with Close Encounters, that's my top 3 of his movies to date.

Not surprised at all that good old LH didn't care for Avengers much. I actually thought a whole lot of heart and soul went into making it something quite special. Let's hope Ruffalo does an Incredible Hulk movie soon!

Someone here has to be the voice of reason since HR disappeared and I guess I took the gauntlet! It's not a bad film but I think the best moments were with the characters from Thor. The rest was just effects effects and more effects... Having said that apparently our UK version is cut. The death scene with the agent killed by Loki should have been gorier apparently... I will say this there was a hint of humanity/heart with the scenes between him and Captain America and the bloodstained trading cards.

Post #: 14400
Page:   <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI