Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  477 478 [479] 480 481   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/8/2012 12:33:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

I had a copy of the uncut version and gave it away for free as I felt quite sick by what was included. As I've said before it is a brave film but certainly not my cup of tea. I can appreciate what the film makers were trying to do, although I do think they went too far. I'm all up for a bit of controversy, love films like The Devils, everything Cronenberg and Lynch but couldn't bring myself to watch the uncut version again.

It seems most find this film hard to re-watch,and that inclueds me,of all the twisted disturbed films i've ever watched this was the most disturbing.A very brave powerful film,that very few film makers would dare to make,and a powerful message thats harmered into your skull,about how low mankind can go.
Talking of disturbing fims wathed INSIDE last night yet again.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 14341
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/8/2012 12:40:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill
HEADHUNTERS (2011)

See it before they spoil it with yet another too soon remake,that will water down the violence and dark comedy,that reminds me so much of a Coen Brothers film.

I watched Headhunters last night.

You know how best seller literary thrillers are somehow often twice as dumb and moronic than film and TV programmes? Well this book must be at least three times as dumb and moronic as the resulting film is just insulting to the intelligence. Implausibility and general silliness was turned right up to full.

It wasn't good or anything, but it was watchable.

The Coen Brothers comparison is interesting. I can see the connection and how they would a good choice for the American remake.

3 out of 10.

WRONG!!!!But glad you noticed the Coen Brothers influence.
Never read the book but i think it's up there with Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,and like GWTDT it should not have been re made so soon.But then the dumbed down crowd need a movie made in English(American) so they don't end up mind f***ed,even tough they already are.

And talking of dunbed down,i finally got a copy of DRACULA 3D,and no it's not in 3D,and the picture and sound are a bit naff on this bootleg DVD,that a mate got from Germany.I've posted my review on the Argeto thread,prepare your self if your an Italian horror fan or Argento fan it's not good news. 

< Message edited by evil bill -- 25/8/2012 2:29:06 PM >

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14342
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 25/8/2012 7:13:40 PM   
dannyfletch

Yes, I think poor old Dario lost it a while ago and possibly is doomed to make third rate trash from now on, as harsh as the truth is I think it would be a surprise if he made a decent film nowadays!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14343
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/8/2012 10:02:41 AM   
losthighway

Managed to get hold of that copy of AMER Blu Ray for £5 but yet to watch it. However I did get around to watching DEAD HEADS after owning it for almost a year! It wasn't as bad as I was expecting (3/5). I also started watching RED STATE but gave up quite early on as religious nutjobs just annoy me too much! I've been playing DARKSIDERS 2 which I was hoping would be daarker but is so far playing like a cross between Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and your bog standard RPG! I've also spotted RUBBER on BR in CEX for £4 so I plan to pick that up today as that's another film that I have wanted to see for ages!

Oh and can anyone tell me if Ken Russell's THE DEVILS is any good!? I spotted HMV are selling it for £9.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 14344
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/8/2012 7:05:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Managed to get hold of that copy of AMER Blu Ray for £5 but yet to watch it. However I did get around to watching DEAD HEADS after owning it for almost a year! It wasn't as bad as I was expecting (3/5). I also started watching RED STATE but gave up quite early on as religious nutjobs just annoy me too much! I've been playing DARKSIDERS 2 which I was hoping would be daarker but is so far playing like a cross between Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and your bog standard RPG! I've also spotted RUBBER on BR in CEX for £4 so I plan to pick that up today as that's another film that I have wanted to see for ages!

Oh and can anyone tell me if Ken Russell's THE DEVILS is any good!? I spotted HMV are selling it for £9.

OF COURSE THE DEVILS IS GOOD
Though i'm not sure if the £9 HMV one is the full uncut one??
THE DEVILS (1971)
Cardinal Richelieu and his power-hungry entourage seek to take control of Pre-Renaissance France, but need to destroy Father Grandier the priest who runs the fortified town that prevents them from exerting total control. So they seek to destroy him by setting him up as a warlock in control of a devil-possessed nunnery,the mother superior of which is sexually obsessed by him. A mad witch-hunter is brought in to gather evidence againest the priest, ready for the big trial.
Few movies are so controversial that the Movie industry and the powers that be do there best to kill them off.But such was the case with this film,which even to this day causes anger among the so called godly and far right Tories,so much so it still can't get a full uncut release on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Now first this did not come from a play, nor was it a novel,it is based on Aldous Huxley's painstakingly researched religious history of the famous Loudun exorcisms during the time of Richelieu,IE it's based on fact.Cited by director Alex Cox and critic Mark Kermode as one of the ten greatest achievements in cinema of all time.The film was met with great controversy and opposition due on it's release due to its contents of depictions of blasphemy,sex and violence. When this movie was originally released, it was given an X rating, not due to all the sex and violence, but more because in its original form it was simply overpowering,and scared the shit out of establishment.I was lucky enough to see a full uncut VHS bootleg of this many years ago,and even though it was poor quality it was overpowering.Even in it's cut form it's still a powerful visually stunning movie from The Late Great British Master of Weird Ken Russell.

Acting skills of the likes of the late great Oliver Reed are on full power here,in his role of Father Grandier,a very conflicted character like the great man himself.His convent of sexually frustrated nuns have desires towards the handsome young priest,and are willing to shed there gowns and inabitions very quickly.There's also a impressive performance from Vanessa Redgrave,one of the creepiest i have ever seen her in as Mother Superior,who is out to win the heart of Graidier,but seeks revenge when he falls in love with another girl.These two actors bring this film to a higher dimension,and have you locked in a powerful grip everytime there on screen.The rest of the cast more than help keep this viewer more than happy,with trully fine acting fromone and all.

But in the end it is Ken's vision that dominates this is quite brutal film, often featuring very shocking and repulsive images,like a violent act of exorcism, performed on a deformed Mother Superior.The infamous scene in which Mother Superior has a vision of Christ's crucifixion,blended with her own sexual fantasies about Father Graindier.Plus the burning at the end is truly unforgettable of all burnings i've seen in film this is brutal,with Oliver Reed literally blackening and bubbling in front of your very eyes as his flesh burns away.This film never got the credit it deserved,as it is both a savage socio-political critique in the vein of Millers Crucible,and as a crazed exercise in Grand Guignol. Only Russell could have pulled this one off,and it's up there with his other other great visually stunning beautiful films like Savage Messiah and Altered States,plus let's not forget it  features Oliver Reed in one his greatest roles ever. 9/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 27/8/2012 7:07:07 PM >

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14345
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/8/2012 8:59:49 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

The Devils is a masterpiece LH, I'd advise you to buy the BFI DVD, it's a great package. Bill seems to have forgotten that I told him that the DVD contains the Theatrical Cut as Warner Bros. balked at the idea of releasing the Director's Cut, which contained the infamous "Rape of Christ" sequence. However, the version shown in cinemas is as complete as possible, and is worth checking out .

Post #: 14346
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 27/8/2012 9:09:19 PM   
dannyfletch

Now I know recommending films to you can be a bit of a tough task to say the least but Ken Russell's The Devils is an absolute masterpiece that you must own. But as has been stated already, please do get the recent BFI version as it is the most complete version out there so far and is an excellent transfer with a great little booklet and some very good features.

Post #: 14347
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/8/2012 5:42:43 PM   
losthighway

THE DEVILS (BFI) 2-DVD bought yesterday from HMV for £9! You see I do listen to you lot. Sometimes!

Also bought RUBBER from CEX for £3. After wanting to see it for ages I have to say I was left rather underwhelmed. The surrealism of it all was fantastic, it's just a shame it was dull as dishwater. Overall: 2/5

Post #: 14348
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/8/2012 10:18:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

DJ and I, though on different days, went to Frightfest this year, I did some reviews;

Sometime in the early 70ís, Gilderoy works as a sound engineer. He arrives from England to Italy where his latest job awaits. He is not too happy about the fact that it is a brutal horror film and is very uncomfortable about the graphic nature of some of the footage he has viewed and has to work with. Despite being seemingly unable to get the money back from his flight, he starts his work like the diligent professional he is. The producer Giovanni pushes him, and everyone else too, to work ever harder while the director Francesco, who refuses to call his film Ďhorrorí, only seems to drop in every now and again. Tensions rise and rise within the group and Gilderoy begins to feel very isolated from anything resembling normality.....

In 2009, the superb Amer deconstructed the giallo [that crazy subgenre of Italian films which proliferated in the 70ís, giallos being essentially chic mystery thrillers with great cinematic style combined with sleazy content and special emphasis on vicious murders] into a wonderfully daring and hypnotic piece of cinematic art, giallos being so much of their time that itís best for modern filmmakers to play with the formula and come up with something new. Four years after Amer, we have another work that attempts new things while still being a tribute to that wonderfully bonkers type of movie. Berberian Sound Studio is in part a love letter to the giallo and you can feel the directorís love throughout. It is an interesting film, but Iíd be lying if I said I didnít find it somewhat disappointing. Maybe I expected another Amer, and it probably didnít help that the film I had seen at Frightfest prior to it was the absolutely stunning, shattering Sleep Tight!

Berberian Sound Studio is one of those films that you are certainly enjoying but keep wanting it to get better so it can become really good. It certainly begins superbly, with Gilderoy entering the studio and, as he passes what is obviously the screening room, hears the unmistakeable sounds of an Italian horror film, somewhat luring him in. Then we cut to the opening credits of The Equestrian Vortex, the film which Gilderoy is obviously going to be working on, and itís a perfect pastiche of the kind of main title music and Andy Warhols-style credits the film may have had. Importantly though, this is the only footage from The Equestrian Vortex that you actually see, and I admire the filmmakers bravery, though Iím not sure it works for the whole film. I feel it needed that extra dimension of seeing, at least, some of what Gilderoy is working on.

Much of the film just consists of Gilderoy, sometimes with others, creating his sound effects. Itís very interesting being shown how this kind of stuff was done before proper computer technology. I expect many people know that stabbing vegetables would often provide the sound of a sharp implement going into human flesh, but you may be surprised how some other things are achieved. The sound of a person being drowned, for example, is done by one guy splashing his hands around in a water tank while another blows through a straw. This alternates with scenes of various actresses dubbing scenes into Italian [remember, these films were usually shot silent and then dubbed into various languages], lots of stuff with an Edda Dal Orso-like female wordless female vocalist, and dreamlike passages where we are shown Gilderoyís sound effects chart with the soundtrack being played over it. These give an idea of The Equestrian Vortex, along with very funny script descriptions of passages that need sound effects, but because not much really happens for much of Berberian Sound Studio, nor was it gripping or atmospheric enough that I didnít mind that not much was happening, I just wanted to see some of the film goddamnit!

The Equestrian Vortex itself does not seem to be an actual giallo, even of the supernatural kind like Suspiria [ a film which informs this one throughout], but a tale of once-persecuted witches closer to something like Black Sunday. At the Q and A after Berberian Sound Studio, the writer and director Peter Strickland confirmed my thoughts I had during the film about Death Laid An Egg being an influence [itís always annoying when you think something about a film which is then dispelled soon afterwards], and I also thought of Blow Out. Thereís no doubt that Berberian Sound Studio is also thoroughly its own movie though. Though set mostly inside the studio, it has a great 70ís feel akin to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and you feel youíre really getting inside knowledge on how some of these films would have been made, accurate or not. The producer pushes everyone to their breaking point. The often-absent director, who casts starlets in the Ďcasting couchí manner, has lofty opinions on the silly exploitation film he is making; thereís a hilarious bit when, talking about a brutal flashback sequence, he says how much he hates the torture women being accused of witches went through. Payment doesnít seem to be forthcoming, with Gilderoy being shunted from pillar to post as he tries to get his plane ticket refunded. It all seems very authentic.

As fascinating as all this to probably anyone interested in filmmaking, let alone fans of Italian horror films, Berberian Sound Studio somewhat outstays its welcome after a while and you may wonder if the whole film is just about doing the sound effects on The Equestrian Vortex, with nothing else going on. Eventually, and certainly a little too late for me, things do change. Intrigue in the studio develops and then, in the final third, the film gains some weirdness of the Ďillusion versus realityí kind, as Gilderoy becomes perhaps too immersed in his job. Thereís one wonderfully surreal bit where elements of a letter he has received cause the film to cut to what seems like part of a documentary extolling the virtues of the English countryside. Thereís also a rather spooky night visit and a silent attack, but the film doesnít really become a thriller, instead ending up like something David Lynch may have made if.....well, if he was making a film about post-production on a 70ís Italian horror film, though for me it lacks Lynchís almost alien atmosphere and the film just seems to suddenly end.

This film is strikingly directed throughout, and there are some images, such as an actress in a sound booth disappearing into darkness, that are very strong. Toby Jones gives a superb performance; heís one of those great performers who can tell us a great deal about a character they are playing by the way they move or speak. The soundtrack by Broadcast is both a perfect replica of the kind of music people like Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai were writing for these sorts of films [and the keen-eared soundtrack fan will notice a few familiar Ďquotesí ] and a knowing pastiche. I canít wait to buy the soundtrack. Overall......well, I donít feel too good about not praising to the skies a film that shows great affection for a type of movie that I personally love [it even has a guest appearance by a certain Suzy Kendall and boy can she still scream!] but Berberian Sound Studio, as intriguing as it is, just doesnít entirely work even if overall it has much to recommend it. Any fan of old Italian horror should find much to enjoy.

[rating: 7/10]

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 14349
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/8/2012 10:21:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

A bomb maker has just made a bomb which will ďkill everyone within five metresĒ and gives it to an unseen client. Sometime later, eight people are headed for a cocktail party in a building owned by billionaire Henry Barton, who is about to announce his retirement. Their names are ticked off by a security guard and they board a lift manned by Mohammed. As they near the floor where the do is taking place, Henryís young granddaughter Madeline presses the stop button to wind up the obnoxious George Axelrod, who is annoying everyone, after which no one can get the lift moving again. Even worse, one of their number may have a bombÖÖ

Films revolving around lifts are actually not that uncommon; Iím particularly fond of the Dutch De lift from 1984, which actually made the concept of a killer elevator work pretty well [the later The Shaft wasnít so good though], though most of these films feature a group of people trapped in a lift and use it to create suspense with variable results. Not that long ago we had the underrated if flawed Devil, and now we have Elevator, which seems to have been held up somewhat for release and probably wonít get the major cinema release it deserves. I say Ďdeservesí, because Elevator is probably the best lift-orientated movie yet. Itís a clever, tense picture that should be treated far better than I think it has been. If you love films that take place mostly in one setting with a small number of characters, youíll probably adore Elevator, but I would recommend everyone to check out this outstanding example of low budget filmmaking.

I will say now that not quite all of the film takes place in a lift, and the first ten minutes or so set the central situation up adroitly. The opening scene has ďusĒ as the unseen person who is being given the bomb so we just see the bomb maker, a simple but effective device which both grabs our interest and disorientates us. All our main characters are introduced in tiny scenes though itís the sequence where they give their names to the security guard where we get a proper idea of all of their personalities, something that is then built on in the next minute or so, while the lift is still moving. Some of these folk are somewhat archetypal, but do convince as fully rounded human being right from the start, a good thing because we spend the rest of the film with them, and even the most clichťd are given interesting touches. The typical rich, uncaring business magnate Henry may be very much like the banker you just want to hate, and that does not change very much, but he also has a small granddaughter which immediately gives him some sympathy.

As the film progresses, some of the characters find themselves linked in ways that are unexpected. Others just seem to annoy the others, but in a believable way. One person is George, a comedian, and not a very good one it seems, but his sarcastic and even offensive comments obviously hide a deep insecurity. Some stuff is a little forced, such as George making racist remarks to Mohammed, but overall I believed what I was seeing, despite being given a revelation or too which doesnít have much bearing on the main story. This, of course, is the fact that there is a bomb in the lift. We are told this around a third of the way in, and even told who the person with the bomb is. As Alfred Hitchcock [who is referenced with a mention of his 1944 flick Lifeboat, possibly the first movie of this type] said, ďsuspense over surpriseĒ, except that just after you think you know what the set-up for the rest of the film is going to be, the bomber dies!

After thisÖ.well, I donít want to ruin too much of the film, but the tension, which was palpable even before there was a bomb, increases and increases at a steady rate. Thereís a really nail baiting Ďfind the bombí scene, made even better by the person you would least expect doing the finding, some action outside the lift, and some really gruesome stuff near the end which is not shown in much detail but almost makes up for it with horrible and convincing sound effects. The bloody turn the story takes will please horror fans in a film which isnít really a horror film at all, but doesnít feel gratuitous; it feels like a proper development of the story. Of course to make the film work it has to make ĎMaintenanceí, the guys who are supposed to come and rescue them, incompetent and even vague, but I think most of us can relate to how useless people who you need in a crisis often are!

Some may find the ending a little unsatisfying but there are only a certain number of ways the story can go without going into the overused realm of Big Twists. Writer Marc Rosenberg, as well as creating a simple suspense tale, also attempts to comment on a number of issues such as racial stereotyping and the way unthinking decisions by big financial corporations can negatively affect the little man. He succeeds in making us think about these things without detracting from the main thrust of the narrative. He also throws in bits of perfectly timed black humour in a film which is superbly paced by Norwegian director Stig Svendsen, though itís the smaller, less noticeable, bits and pieces which are possibly more notable, such as a bit early on where Celine, the typical Ďglamorousí news reporter who even reports on and films what is happening in the lift [shades of Found Footage here!], talks to Maureen, the fiancťe of the somewhat arrogant Don. As Celine asks her questions and finds out Maureen and Don are engaged, Maureen finds out Celine and Don work together. What is Don doing? Heís quietly squirming and sweating, for reasons the most clever viewers may work out there and then, in a great piece of subtle acting by Christopher Backus.

The performances are all very strong. Special kudos to Amanda and Rachel Pace who both play Madeline; I couldnít tell it was two little girls instead of one, and Joey Slotnick as George, who you want to really dislike but canít. Perhaps the occasional plot device stretches credibility a bit, but I only thought about those after the film was over. Elevator is one of those films that is almost as good as it could possibly be, but you know what? It was so good even before the bomb stuff that I would have happily sat through it if there had not been a bomb at all, and it had just been about nine people, delving into their psyches and tearing each other apart.

Rating: 8.5/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14350
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/8/2012 10:22:41 PM   
Dr Lenera

And two even better films to come

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14351
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/8/2012 7:38:43 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

The Devils is a masterpiece LH, I'd advise you to buy the BFI DVD, it's a great package. Bill seems to have forgotten that I told him that the DVD contains the Theatrical Cut as Warner Bros. balked at the idea of releasing the Director's Cut, which contained the infamous "Rape of Christ" sequence. However, the version shown in cinemas is as complete as possible, and is worth checking out .

No i did'nt forget,just re posted an old review,and forgot to mention what you had told me,plus as i've still want a Blu-Ray release i'll wait.
quote:

dannyfletch
Now I know recommending films to you can be a bit of a tough task to say the least but Ken Russell's The Devils is an absolute masterpiece that you must own. But as has been stated already, please do get the recent BFI version as it is the most complete version out there so far and is an excellent transfer with a great little booklet and some very good features.

Don't let hims scare you he's a real pussy at heart(or dog if he prefers)and i know he's a Ken Russel fan.
quote:

THE DEVILS (BFI) 2-DVD bought yesterday from HMV for £9! You see I do listen to you lot. Sometimes!

Also bought RUBBER from CEX for £3. After wanting to see it for ages I have to say I was left rather underwhelmed. The surrealism of it all was fantastic, it's just a shame it was dull as dishwater. Overall: 2/5

You'll love it,and for £9 for the BFI release 2 disc DVD,well you have done well old boy.
And you hav'nt gone soft i see from your RUBBER coments.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 14352
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/8/2012 8:10:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

DJ and I, though on different days, went to Frightfest this year, I did some reviews;

This film is strikingly directed throughout, and there are some images, such as an actress in a sound booth disappearing into darkness, that are very strong. Toby Jones gives a superb performance; he's one of those great performers who can tell us a great deal about a character they are playing by the way they move or speak. The soundtrack by Broadcast is both a perfect replica of the kind of music people like Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai were writing for these sorts of films [and the keen-eared soundtrack fan will notice a few familiar 'quotes' ] and a knowing pastiche. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack. Overall......well, I don't feel too good about not praising to the skies a film that shows great affection for a type of movie that I personally love [it even has a guest appearance by a certain Suzy Kendall and boy can she still scream!] but Berberian Sound Studio, as intriguing as it is, just doesn't entirely work even if overall it has much to recommend it. Any fan of old Italian horror should find much to enjoy.

With you comparing it to Amer,Suspiria,Black Sunday and Brain De Palma's Blow out,it sounds like a real treat,and i've always felt De Palma's film was heavy infulanced by giallo films.Also if as you say the soundtrackhas touches of Ennio Morricone,well that's heaven to us Italian Horror fans big time.Though you score it lower than your second review from Frightfest,which says to me it just falls short of blowing Amer away. 
quote:

The performances are all very strong. Special kudos to Amanda and Rachel Pace who both play Madeline; I couldnít tell it was two little girls instead of one, and Joey Slotnick as George, who you want to really dislike but canít. Perhaps the occasional plot device stretches credibility a bit, but I only thought about those after the film was over. Elevator is one of those films that is almost as good as it could possibly be, but you know what? It was so good even before the bomb stuff that I would have happily sat through it if there had not been a bomb at all, and it had just been about nine people, delving into their psyches and tearing each other apart.

Now this sounds like a mix of DEVIL,and the great opening scene in SPEED but a lot darker.Great reviews can't wait for your next couple,and thanks again Dr for help keeping this thread full of new and interesting reviews.

As for me i watched TED (2012) yesterday Crazy Tuesday,and in a way it fits this thread,but i have to say Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane first feature film is very hit and miss humour.For first time as writer, director and voice star of Ted he's out of his depth maybe trying to hard to amuse with very adult humor.The mix of live action/CG-animated works well,as it tells the story of John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg), a grown man who must deal with the cherished teddy bear who came to life as the result of a childhood wish,and has refused to leave his side ever since.Lots of references to the not so good 80's pop(not rock),and that's the story in a nut shell,with notting to offer in terms of real emoution,or even true black humour.Maybe i was just in a bad mood,or it will work better on TV at home,but to be honest was'nt that much laughter at the screening i was at.3/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14353
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 9:55:18 AM   
losthighway

DREDD has been given an uncut 18 certificate. I've never been a Dredd fan but must be honest I'd like to see this one now!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14354
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 5:51:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

DREDD has been given an uncut 18 certificate. I've never been a Dredd fan but must be honest I'd like to see this one now!

I used to read the comics as a kid so looking forward to this, will atone for the crappy Stallone version hopefully!

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 30/8/2012 5:56:50 PM >

Post #: 14355
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 6:04:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

This film is strikingly directed throughout, and there are some images, such as an actress in a sound booth disappearing into darkness, that are very strong. Toby Jones gives a superb performance; he's one of those great performers who can tell us a great deal about a character they are playing by the way they move or speak. The soundtrack by Broadcast is both a perfect replica of the kind of music people like Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai were writing for these sorts of films [and the keen-eared soundtrack fan will notice a few familiar 'quotes' ] and a knowing pastiche. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack. Overall......well, I don't feel too good about not praising to the skies a film that shows great affection for a type of movie that I personally love [it even has a guest appearance by a certain Suzy Kendall and boy can she still scream!] but Berberian Sound Studio, as intriguing as it is, just doesn't entirely work even if overall it has much to recommend it. Any fan of old Italian horror should find much to enjoy.

With you comparing it to Amer,Suspiria,Black Sunday and Brain De Palma's Blow out,it sounds like a real treat,and i've always felt De Palma's film was heavy infulanced by giallo films.Also if as you say the soundtrackhas touches of Ennio Morricone,well that's heaven to us Italian Horror fans big time.Though you score it lower than your second review from Frightfest,which says to me it just falls short of blowing Amer away.†
quote:

Now this sounds like a mix of DEVIL,and the great opening scene in SPEED but a lot darker.Great reviews can't wait for your next couple,and thanks again Dr for help keeping this thread full of new and interesting reviews.

As for me i watched TED (2012) yesterday Crazy Tuesday,and in a way it fits this thread,but i have to say Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane first feature film is very hit and miss humour.For†first time as writer, director and voice star of Ted he's out of his depth maybe trying to hard to amuse†with very adult humor.The mix of live action/CG-animated works well,as it†tells the story of John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg), a grown man who must deal with the cherished teddy bear who came to life as the result of a childhood wish,and has refused to leave his side ever since.Lots of references to the not so good 80's pop(not rock),and that's the story in a nut shell,with notting to offer in terms of real emoution,or even true black humour.Maybe i was just in a bad mood,or it will work better on TV at home,but to be honest was'nt that much laughter at the screening i was at.3/10

I quite enjoyed Ted, it hit the spot for me for the most part and actually had a good performance from Mark Walhberg.

And thanks Bill, I don't post so many cinema releases reviews on here as I used to because the other guys on HCF do loads now too i.e. David Gillespie just reviewed Total Recall and he basically said it was a pointless remake- BIG SURPRISE THERE, we tend to alternate, and some of the reviews I do won't really fit in with this thread.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14356
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 6:18:45 PM   
Dr Lenera

In the late 1970ís, a teenage boy was on holiday with his parents in Rome. A massive horror and monster fan, he discovered that sitting at the table next to him was none other than George Romero. Romero told him some incredibly exciting news; that he was going to shoot a belated follow-up to his groundbreaking zombie classic Night Of The Living Dead, entitled Dawn Of The Dead, and not only that but that the boy could go and see it being filmed in Pittsburgh. Several years later, with the boy now 21 years of age having become crazy about makeup effects and even having done some stuff with mates at home, he received an invite from Romero; to help the legend that was Tom Savini with the special effects on a third zombie picture, Day Of The Dead, that he was about to shoot. The 21 year old went to work and never looked back since, his work on the Romero pic beginning a very successful career in makeup effects which is still going strong.

This rather inspiring little tale is one of several in Nightmare Factory, a riveting documentary about Greg Nicotero and the company KBB EFX he set up with Howard Berger and Robert Kurtzman which for some time now has been one of the most respected, innovative and used special effects companies around. You may not recognise the names of these guys or even the company, but youíll certainly recognise the names of titles they have worked on; Scream, The Time Machine, Dances With Wolves, The Chronicles Of Narnia, Piranha, The Grey, Misery, The Walking Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, virtually every Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez movieÖ..the list is endless. From family blockbusters to gory slashers, they have done it all, though of course the emphasis in Nightmare Factory is on the more gruesome side of KNBís work, and I should say right here that it doesnít stint on the gore, with lots of clips which are of a graphic nature, though of course the fact that they are used somewhat out of their usual context makes them rather less shocking. Not one for the kiddies thoughÖÖ

The documentary takes you into the lives of Nicotero, Berger, and Kurtzman, with particular emphasis on Nicotero. They tell of how they fell in love with monster movies as children, their early successes and how they ended up setting up KNB. Intercut with this are snippets from the likes of Romero, John Carpenter and John Landis and lots of fascinating behind the scenes footage. The bits which I enjoyed best are segments in the KNB headquarters where the camera pans around and we can both catch brief glimpses of both familiar and unfamiliar creations and hear bits of conversations which sound surreal if you donít know where you are. At one point Elijah Wood comes in and is told that his head [from Sin City] is still around somewhere. This all may have been deliberately staged but it has a great random feel and you get some idea of the crazy but fertile environment in which these people work.

Nicotero has been documenting his work since Evil Dead 2, so the behind the scenes film material is gold dust too, with us being shown how key scenes from certain films are done. There was a little too much emphasis on Tarantinoís films for my liking, but like it or not [I stopped being a fan of his over a decade ago] he is still a high-profile filmmaker and his enthusiasm for and admiration of KNBís work is great to see. By contrast, Carpenter [who is represented by Ghosts Of Mars, not automatically a movie you would expect to see lots of cool behind the scenes from but very welcome!], jokingly moans about how long the effects guys take in doing stuff and how they sometimes hold up shooting! Of course thereís quite a bit of emphasis from The Walking Dead, a series which didnít exactly ďwowĒ me but loved watching the behind the scenes bits of on here anyway. I adore this kind of stuff, whether I like the actual film or programme or not, and my only complaint is that the bits are all too short and I wanted more! I suppose I could have also done with being shown more of how certain things are done in the world of special effects; we are shown how a typical bullet hit is done and I wanted more of that nature, but thereís only so much you can fit into 90 minutes though isnít there?

A certain sadness comes over the documentary in its later stages, with the raising of subjects that are close to my heart, such as the changing face of special effects. We are shown how old and new methods can work well together, but I agree entirely with what the guys say about CGI, which allows you to show anything, but takes away some of the creativity and excitement of practical effects , where people were more limited with what they could supposedly do. Even more important to me is the fact that the days when children were brought up on monsters, be it reading about them in magazines or watching late night horror movies, seem to be gone. The monsters have mostly changed into human menaces, the late night horror movies are rarely shown any more and kids, even if they are aware of them, just donít have as much interest in things like The Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Wolf Man. I did not grow up to be a film director or a special effects whizz, but I personally will always remember those days when I was young and spent late nights illicitly watching Universal and Hammer Frankenstein and Dracula flicks with immense fondness, while also reading about all these other films that, one day, I would be old enough to see!

Nightmare Factory is perfectly paced; itís never slow, but doesnít fall into the trap of many modern documentaries which feel as if they are made for people with ADR. Though it isnít so much the case with the other two [Kurtzman actually left KNB many years ago], we are certainly given a sense a real sense of Nicoteroís life. Maybe the whole point of the documentary is to ďbig him upĒ, but guys like Nicotero are often overlooked by people who will most likely praise the director, or the script, or the acting of a film they have just enjoyed but wonít think that some of their favourite scenes were mostly due to a couple of guys doing magic with things like latex and gelatine. Of course there are many fans who do notice these guyís work and even revere the folk who have, in a sense, entertained them. My feeling is that, if youíre a real horror fan, Nightmare Factory is simply essential viewing.

Rating: 9/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14357
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 6:23:57 PM   
Dr Lenera

And this is a long one........but I just couldn't stop raving about it...

A man is about to throw himself off the top of a hotel. He is Cesar, and he tells of how he got to this dreadful place in his life. He works as a concierge in a hotel. Despite putting in a huge amount of over time, he doesnít seem to be appreciated by either his co-workers or the clients, with the exception of a kindly elderly lady and especially the beautiful Clara, who is his girlfriend, though the two donít make it obvious in public. Cesar goes about his work with a quiet dignity, but it is soon revealed he is a psychopath, a cruel, evil man who is on a mission to make the unsuspecting Clare miserable and is certainly not her boyfriend......

Sleep Tight was actually made and released in Spain last year, but as most non-Spaniards wonít have seen it till this year [and it still hasnít got a proper release in most countries, though it has been widely praised] I am going to happily proclaim it the best film of the year so far. In fact, I very much doubt it will be topped. It is an absolutely stunning exercise in almost-unbearable tension and audience manipulation which is up there with the best of Alfred Hitchcock [and I donít say that lightly], Roman Polanski and Michael Haneke, all of which it is influenced by, as well as, I suppose, Someone Is Watching Me and that sub-genre of films where the psychopath is the main protagonist a la American Psycho. Sleep Tight shares with that film some black humour, but the feel is very different; for a start, we actually rather like Patrick Bateman, donít we? We never like Cesar in Sleep Tight, which is a journey into the heart of darkness of such harrowing proportions that at times I found it hard to watch, and yet I couldnít move, absolutely glued to the screen. Even if you donít enjoy the film [and on one level Iím not sure I did], I donít think anyone can deny it is superb filmmaking.

The opening scene cleverly gives us the impression that this is going to be a story about a nice guy who we will feel sorry for. Melancholy music plays as Cesar narrates about how he has tried to deal with life and just cannot cope anymore. Even after this, the first few flashbacks scenes just tell us that he is a bit lonely and un-appreciated, a belittled cog in a machine like many of us can relate to. He does though appear to have a gorgeous girlfriend in Clara, a lively, vivacious woman, full of life, the total opposite of Cesar. When he gets up from their bed in the morning and says goodbye as she sleeps, you think his life canít be that bad, can it? For a while little happens as we are a given a sense of the dull, monotonous rhythm of Cesarís life, and the film is certainly very slow in these early scenes, but hang on in there, because Sleep Tight will soon ramp up the intensity very suddenly and never lose it.

Clara returns to the apartment which appeared to be one that she and Cesar shared, but no itís not, itís just hers. Cesar actually lives in a dingy, dilapidated abode either on the ground floor or in the basement. Clara turns the radio up loud and starts dancing around her lodgings, like one of those awful scenes you often see in Ďrom comsí where somebody starts prancing around because itís supposed to be either uplifting or funny [remember that dreadful bit in Love Actually with Hugh Grant?]. Here though, itís to show us how different Clara is from Cesar, a person full of the joys of living. Itís also to make more powerful the moment the film turns nasty, the moment it switches into pure evil, and as I sit here, writing this review, a day after I saw the film, I shudder thinking about it [yes, this film will leave scars]. Clara is dancing on the bed, than falls into a deep sleep, after which the camera pans down to under the bed where Cesar is under the bed, and this is the point where everything changes.

Cesar is on some kind of mission. He has obviously done this before, and Clara is his latest victim-to-be. Sleep Tight is not entirely specific about what Cesar does to women. Is he just trying to make them miserable, or does he intend to drive them to suicide? Nor do we find out why he does it, something which seems to have bothered some people, though I donít think the film needs it. Cesar is just evil, something which cannot always be explained, it just is. At first the movie is vague about what Cesar is doing to Clara, but each time he pays a visit to her apartment [remember, his job means he has a key to it], we see more, and itís not just him drugging her into a deep sleep. The film is actually quite restrained here, just telling us enough, and to be honest itís horrible enough seeing this lovely [yes, I admit, I keep saying how nice Marta Etura is and have no shame in doing do!] young woman, who has done nothing wrong and has actually been one of the few people to be nice to Cesar] being tormented in this way, from simple nasty texts to the grimmest cockroach scene in ages!

Of course itís not just Clara who Cesar is cruel to. He has a hospitalised mother, and some of the nastiest scenes simply involve him telling her the cruel things he is doing to Clara and she cannot respond, but the pained expression on her face is incredibly moving. Thereís also a scene towards the end where in about thirty seconds he says unbearably cruel things to someone else and reduces her to such a wreck you think the person might top themselves. Cesar is never made sympathetic, and yet at certain points you may almost be on his side, and Iím not saying this because Iím mad. There are bits when Cesar is trapped in Claraís room and needs to get out, and yes, I wanted him to get out, so brilliantly were my emotions being played with. Here, and in a few other scenes, you may nervously laugh too. The humour is often blacker than black, and you may slap yourself for laughing a few seconds after, but it somehow works and never ruins the tension. Especially notable is the strange relationship Cesar has with a young girl. She knows what he is up to and blackmails him into giving her things, first money, then.....a porno movie. Donít laugh too much though, because this part of the story climaxes with a scene so nerve- wrecking you may find it impossible to watch.

The story develops like all good stories do, throwing in some twists and turns which never feel gratuitous. There is actually little violence, but there is one extremely bloody razor murder which to some may feel out of place, but to me is there to show what Cesar is capable of. More cliched perhaps are scenes where Cesar is being questioned by the local police inspector, with us being given the impression that he knows more than he is letting on, but I love these kind of scenes anyway and they show yet another side to Cesar, someone who can call most peopleís bluff. Luis Tosar is utterly convincing as Cesar; itís a mark of how much his performance affected me that I doubt the actor will be able to convince me in any other role I see of his; he will always be Cesar, the unrelenting but calm lunatic of this film, with that incredibly evil stare, his eyes revealing both a lack of anything approaching humanity and evil thoughts which you wonít even begin to want to imagine yourself.

Sleep Tight will probably confound most expectations in the way that is proceeds, though there was one point where I sensed a really sick bit of knowledge was going to be revealed and I wanted it so much not to be the case that I felt like crying. And then the ending.....well, I cannot go into too much detail, but imagine a typical ending of the kind you will find at the end of many sad romances. You know the ones; with a person thinking about having lost their love but it somehow making them stronger, with perhaps the reading of a letter, with.....well, I canít say too much, but then imagine the cruellest ever twist on all this. Devilishly clever and incredibly cruel, you may feel like youíve suffered an emotional shock yourself or at least a punch to the stomach, but I doubt youíd want the picture to end any other way. Though I was deeply affected, I also wanted to cheer, because of its bravery, total lack of compromise, and the fact that any happy ending would have felt totally untrue to the film and even a betrayal of it.

Director Jaume Balaguero of course made a name for himself with the great Rec films, but I think Sleep Tight is an even better piece of filmmaking. I had fears that he would overuse the Ďshakycamí and other camera [remember his somewhat disappointing Darkness?], devices that would not be so appropriate for Sleep Tight, but I think the camera was only waved about in one fight scene, the majority of the film being shot in a very classical style. Lucas Vidalís sombre and often restrained score sometimes seems to bravely hint at some humanity in its anti-hero. You will have no doubt realised by now, but I totally and utterly blown away by Sleep Tight, which is one of the best five films about a psychopath I have ever seen. I also have a nasty feeling that it will lead to an American remake, which almost certainly will be inferior. You read it here first....but in the meantime, check out this incredible work [itís already out on DVD in Spain], which if there was any justice would be out in cinemas everywhere, any way you can.

[rating: 9.5/10]

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14358
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 7:18:24 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Have to say i enjoyed the Stallone's Judge Dredd,but felt the Dredd story deseverd a more Adult version,and more in line with the comics of 2000AD which i loved from day one.In fact there's plenty more great storys from that comic that can be made into decent films.But back to DREDD,and going by the traliers it looks pretty awesome,and this time Dredd won't be taking off his hemlet,and will be pretty violent with those that break the law."I AM THE LAW"
On another note do any of you remmber 2000AD comic taking a certain MAD MAX to court for stealing there ideas.IE doomsday story with the law enforcers from the Halls Of Justice,with a bunch of violent bike rideing cops out to dish out the law etc etc.

Post #: 14359
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 7:25:12 PM   
evil bill

quote:

A certain sadness comes over the documentary in its later stages, with the raising of subjects that are close to my heart, such as the changing face of special effects. We are shown how old and new methods can work well together, but I agree entirely with what the guys say about CGI, which allows you to show anything, but takes away some of the creativity and excitement of practical effects , where people were more limited with what they could supposedly do. Even more important to me is the fact that the days when children were brought up on monsters, be it reading about them in magazines or watching late night horror movies, seem to be gone. The monsters have mostly changed into human menaces, the late night horror movies are rarely shown any more and kids, even if they are aware of them, just don't have as much interest in things like The Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Wolf Man. I did not grow up to be a film director or a special effects whizz, but I personally will always remember those days when I was young and spent late nights illicitly watching Universal and Hammer Frankenstein and Dracula flicks with immense fondness, while also reading about all these other films that, one day, I would be old enough to see!

Nightmare Factory is perfectly paced; it's never slow, but doesn't fall into the trap of many modern documentaries which feel as if they are made for people with ADR. Though it isn't so much the case with the other two [Kurtzman actually left KNB many years ago], we are certainly given a sense a real sense of Nicotero's life. Maybe the whole point of the documentary is to "big him upĒ, but guys like Nicotero are often overlooked by people who will most likely praise the director, or the script, or the acting of a film they have just enjoyed but won't think that some of their favourite scenes were mostly due to a couple of guys doing magic with things like latex and gelatine. Of course there are many fans who do notice these guy's work and even revere the folk who have, in a sense, entertained them. My feeling is that, if you're a real horror fan, Nightmare Factory is simply essential viewing.

Rating: 9/10

I'm with you on that mate,i miss ye old horror films of old,and feel CGI not only spoils the fun,but at times looks so much like an Xbox creation.I'llkeep an eye out for this one.
quote:

David Gillespie just reviewed Total Recall and he basically said it was a pointless remake- BIG SURPRISE THERE,

They all are to me,though you get the odd gem like The Hills Have Eyes.
quote:

And this is a long one........but I just couldn't stop raving about it...

Director Jaume Balaguero of course made a name for himself with the great Rec films, but I think Sleep Tight is an even better piece of filmmaking. I had fears that he would overuse the Ďshakycamí and other camera [remember his somewhat disappointing Darkness?], devices that would not be so appropriate for Sleep Tight, but I think the camera was only waved about in one fight scene, the majority of the film being shot in a very classical style. Lucas Vidalís sombre and often restrained score sometimes seems to bravely hint at some humanity in its anti-hero. You will have no doubt realised by now, but I totally and utterly blown away by Sleep Tight, which is one of the best five films about a psychopath I have ever seen. I also have a nasty feeling that it will lead to an American remake, which almost certainly will be inferior. You read it here first....but in the meantime, check out this incredible work [itís already out on DVD in Spain], which if there was any justice would be out in cinemas everywhere, any way you can.

[rating: 9.5/10]

Now this is the one on my must see list,as Fangoria has been raving about it along with Bloody Disgusting.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 14360
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 30/8/2012 7:56:46 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The BFI have announced that they will be releasing the US cut of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in cinemas from 2nd November, with special screenings on Halloween .

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14361
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/9/2012 5:04:48 PM   
losthighway

Already got it on R1 2-disc SE DVD. Imported it especially for that 144min cut!

Post #: 14362
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/9/2012 11:11:16 PM   
Platter

KENNETH ANGER - THE MAGICK LANTERN CYCLE

"Of interest only to pretentious people
People will rave about any old thing. They really will. These short films are all very bad. I canít say anything nice about them. How anyone can see anything of artistic value in these I canít understand.

What was I expecting from these avant-garde movies? I expected the stories to be weak, and that they would quickly descend into obscure images at the expense of any actual narrative. Without five years of black magick scholarship I knew they would be impenetrable. And I expected Anger to have a good visual sensibility. I really thought I was going to see an orgy of strong, out there images.

Instead all of them are silent movies (absolutely no synchronised sound from on set) with music and maybe a small number of sound effects dubbed on later. There probably isnít a single line of dialogue in these movies beyond a spoken word voiceover at the start of Fireworks.

The visuals are not good. He didnít have an eye for composition and the colours are very gaudy, almost like someone melted crayons over everything. I think his visual imagination is very comparable to Ken Russell, and I donít rate Russellís images at all.

Some of the movies are documentaries. He just turned up and filmed what was happening. To call them movies is odd as no narrative emerges from them. It really was a case of randomly shooting stuff and then cutting it together in no particular order.

If you plan to watch them I strongly recommend viewing them with the directorís commentary. They are more entertaining that way, and you will understand what they were about as otherwise you might be more than a little stumped.

1947 Fireworks 15 mins.

A load of pointless cobblers. Minimal story and itís all very creaky and boring. Itís a very gay film with a lot of homoerotic images.

Technically very badly made. The end beating is poorly filmed and edited. A lot of shots are out of focus and many are miss-framed (eyes have been cropped out of the shot).

1949 Puce Moment 6 mins.

There is no plot. A woman gets dressed and then takes her dogs for a walk. That is it. It is so deeply pointless, even more so than Fireworks.

The movie is soundtracked exclusively by an up-tempo folk-rock song (the last music created by a man who then became a Buddhist monk). His voice reminded me of Mick Jagger. The film was made in 1949 but it reeks of the 60s somehow.

The focus is often soft and the footage looks like itís been ever so slightly speeded up.

1950 Rabbit's Moon 16 mins (1971) and 7 mins (1979)

A clown wants to touch the moon. Not a lot happens. The film is just really pointless and boring.

Competently filmed from a technical point of view. It was shot in 1950 but not completed. He then edited together two different versions many years later. The longer version from 1971 appears to be the definitive one, as the other version was only made as birthday gift for someone.

The 71 soundtrack is composed of 50s rock songs that reference the moon. The 79 version has a song from the 70s.

1953 Eaux d'Artifice 13 mins.

A film made up exclusively of shot after shot of fountains and water features in an Italian estate at night. Oh, and a short woman in a mock period dress walks through some of the shots. For 13 minutes. This is not cinema at its most exciting.

1954 Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome 38 mins.

A lot of symbolic stuff going on in someoneís eccentrically decorated house.

Without the commentary track itís just a load of meaningless, ugly images. With the commentary track itís a serious of vaguely meaningful, but still ugly images. There is no plot.

All it conjured up for me was the idea that a bunch of people turned up for an orgy. Only to find someone in the kitchen making bad Halloween costumes while someone in the den, with a movie camera, was making people pose for weird images.

1965 Kustom Kar Kommandos 3 mins.

A 3 minute documentary of a man cleaning a fancy, shiny custom built car. The ďmovieĒ was filmed on a soundstage with a pink background. Pointless is the only word I can come up with.

1963 Scorpio Rising 29 mins.

A documentary were Anger filmed some leathered up bikers as they get ready to go out to a party, or work on their motorbikes in their garages. The silent film is soundtracked by pre-Beatles American rock music. Just such an inane, meaningless movie. Very boring.

1969 Invocation of My Demon Brother 12 mins.

Some semi-documentary footage of hippies hanging out in a creepy looking house. Intercut with some other random stuff such as Anger performing a religious ceremony and the burning of a dead cat.

Mick Jagger did the soundtrack. He plays some repetitive ďmusicĒ on a moog. It was apparently done in one take as he watched the rough cut. You can tell he doesnít know how to use the instrument.

1970Ė1981 Lucifer Rising 29 mins.

His magnum opus.

If you saw it without the commentary track you wouldnít have a clue what was going on. This movie really needs to be explained as otherwise itís just a bunch of random images. Ugly images at that.

With the commentary it turned into a comedy as I sniggered at the obscure cobblers he came up with. It was like he was going out his way to not bring his audience along with him as there canít be more than five people in the world who could fathom what those images represent without being told. A work of incredible obscurity. Such as Marianne Faithfull holding up a scarf with her blood on it from a failed suicide attempt. Who would know what that was about without the commentary track?

The film is terrible. I think it was deliberately designed so that he could laugh at his audience as they fail to understand his intellectual genius.

2002 The Man We Want to Hang 12 mins.

Close ups on Aleister Crowley's art as it hangs on walls. Not thrilling.

To sum up: it is balls. Large balls. ďAvant-garde is French for crap,Ē as John Lennon once said."

< Message edited by Platter -- 2/9/2012 11:32:27 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14363
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/9/2012 7:53:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The BFI have announced that they will be releasing the US cut of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in cinemas from 2nd November, with special screenings on Halloween .

Be great if finaly we get a Blu-Ray of this version,which i saw many moons ago on good old channel 4,and had it recoreded on VHS,till one of my little monsters tore it apart.

Post #: 14364
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/9/2012 9:03:49 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Already got it on R1 2-disc SE DVD. Imported it especially for that 144min cut!

You have watched both versions of course,so what one do you prefer,i liked the corpse's in the ballroom scene,which was removed by Stanley for the UK release??
And on the horror theme,i watched a good Brit Flick called:
PANIC BUTTON (2011)

Four strangers win an all expenses paid trip to New York on board a private jet courtesy of a social networking site All2gether.com(sort of Facebook). Once on board and having to relinquish all their mobile phones, it's time to play the in-flight entertainment? and this is where the fun begins. With the cockpit locked and the mysterious "Alligator" pulling the strings, things soon start to heat up as the passengers have there private lives exposed,and they begin to turn on each other.

Panic Button is a decent low budget British independent horror/thriller film,which was released way back in  early 2011,but i only got to watch it on SKY at the weekend.A wonderful twisted cautionary tale on the dangers of online social networking,and even a stab at Big Brother.It has some gory moments,though for an 18Cert it's not that bad.and there well placed within the story so never making you trun away.Also some black humor for good measure,like a reference to Hal 9000 of 2001,big hint at the tv reality show Big Brother and of course Saw.

Plus a decent cast of unknowns out side of Britain,with the likes of Mike Jibson (Cemetery Junction) as Dave who you will dislike right from the off though he has some of the best lines.There's also Jack Gordon (Fish Tank) as Max??again a decent actor who helps keep it real,as the story twists.In the female roles we have TV stars like Scarlett Alice Johnson of Eastenders,as Jo an alcoholic mother who enjoys snuff on the net.Elen Rhys of Holby as Gwen,is again not a very nice girl,good at giving advice but not taking it,and plays her heart out in this first feature role.

Director Chris Crow has here a real paranoia thriller very much in the vain of say Hitchcock's Lifeboat,but with a touch of Saw to give it a more modren feel.It's tightly written and unfussily directed,but ramps up the tension between the character's using peoples web-based fears about identity theft,big brother watching you,internet bulling etc.Also the fact that it seems we are free to act upon our cruellest base desires with virtual immunity,or can we??For in fact everything you do is being watched or registered on some server,and this is where the film works at it's best as it make's this very clear.Add to this a great final twist,and you have a film that deserves to be seen,though it never get's above it's low budget,but for a good 90 odd minutes it entertains.6/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 3/9/2012 9:31:47 PM >

Post #: 14365
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/9/2012 7:31:32 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Just heard we may be getting a screening at the QFT Belfast this Halloween

Post #: 14366
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/9/2012 9:17:44 AM   
losthighway

Evil Bill... the ballroom scene is my favourite addition too.

I watched REC3: Genesis last night. Some interesting ideas but on the whole what happened to the franchise!? I have no problem with them taking it away from the handheld format (although this is still in abundance effectively using the title as a gimmick). However, making the film almost comedic in tone at times and just plain cliched towards the end really ruined it. I thought the central love story was a nice idea but the lead actress couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and the groom running around in armour was just stupid! Sadly REC3 is just OK not great. Overall: 2.5/5

< Message edited by losthighway -- 6/9/2012 9:18:25 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14367
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/9/2012 9:25:59 AM   
losthighway

Oh and I saw BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO too... A mildly interesting homage to Giallo which completely loses it's way about 20mins before the end and veers the film off course/tone into wannabe Lynch territory. It doesn't ruin the film but it certainly harms its effectiveness. Oh and for anyone who is not a fan of Giallo/Italian horror then I have to say most of the in-jokes (which raised the odd chuckle) and nods to the genre will be totally lost on viewers. It's a film that is strictly for Italian horror fans and I imagine will leave most other folks scratching their heads and bored rigid. Overall: 3/5

Post #: 14368
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/9/2012 10:13:14 PM   
losthighway

Finally got my hands on A SERBIAN FILM UNCUT DVD tonight. Folks may like to know that the supposed R1 release is actually R0.

Post #: 14369
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/9/2012 9:58:59 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

KENNETH ANGER - THE MAGICK LANTERN CYCLE

"Of interest only to pretentious people
People will rave about any old thing. They really will. These short films are all very bad. I canít say anything nice about them. How anyone can see anything of artistic value in these I canít understand.

What was I expecting from these avant-garde movies? I expected the stories to be weak, and that they would quickly descend into obscure images at the expense of any actual narrative. Without five years of black magick scholarship I knew they would be impenetrable. And I expected Anger to have a good visual sensibility. I really thought I was going to see an orgy of strong, out there images.

Instead all of them are silent movies (absolutely no synchronised sound from on set) with music and maybe a small number of sound effects dubbed on later. There probably isnít a single line of dialogue in these movies beyond a spoken word voiceover at the start of Fireworks.

The visuals are not good. He didnít have an eye for composition and the colours are very gaudy, almost like someone melted crayons over everything. I think his visual imagination is very comparable to Ken Russell, and I donít rate Russellís images at all.

Some of the movies are documentaries. He just turned up and filmed what was happening. To call them movies is odd as no narrative emerges from them. It really was a case of randomly shooting stuff and then cutting it together in no particular order.

If you plan to watch them I strongly recommend viewing them with the directorís commentary. They are more entertaining that way, and you will understand what they were about as otherwise you might be more than a little stumped.

1947 Fireworks 15 mins.

A load of pointless cobblers. Minimal story and itís all very creaky and boring. Itís a very gay film with a lot of homoerotic images.

Technically very badly made. The end beating is poorly filmed and edited. A lot of shots are out of focus and many are miss-framed (eyes have been cropped out of the shot).

1949 Puce Moment 6 mins.

There is no plot. A woman gets dressed and then takes her dogs for a walk. That is it. It is so deeply pointless, even more so than Fireworks.

The movie is soundtracked exclusively by an up-tempo folk-rock song (the last music created by a man who then became a Buddhist monk). His voice reminded me of Mick Jagger. The film was made in 1949 but it reeks of the 60s somehow.

The focus is often soft and the footage looks like itís been ever so slightly speeded up.

1950 Rabbit's Moon 16 mins (1971) and 7 mins (1979)

A clown wants to touch the moon. Not a lot happens. The film is just really pointless and boring.

Competently filmed from a technical point of view. It was shot in 1950 but not completed. He then edited together two different versions many years later. The longer version from 1971 appears to be the definitive one, as the other version was only made as birthday gift for someone.

The 71 soundtrack is composed of 50s rock songs that reference the moon. The 79 version has a song from the 70s.

1953 Eaux d'Artifice 13 mins.

A film made up exclusively of shot after shot of fountains and water features in an Italian estate at night. Oh, and a short woman in a mock period dress walks through some of the shots. For 13 minutes. This is not cinema at its most exciting.

1954 Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome 38 mins.

A lot of symbolic stuff going on in someoneís eccentrically decorated house.

Without the commentary track itís just a load of meaningless, ugly images. With the commentary track itís a serious of vaguely meaningful, but still ugly images. There is no plot.

All it conjured up for me was the idea that a bunch of people turned up for an orgy. Only to find someone in the kitchen making bad Halloween costumes while someone in the den, with a movie camera, was making people pose for weird images.

1965 Kustom Kar Kommandos 3 mins.

A 3 minute documentary of a man cleaning a fancy, shiny custom built car. The ďmovieĒ was filmed on a soundstage with a pink background. Pointless is the only word I can come up with.

1963 Scorpio Rising 29 mins.

A documentary were Anger filmed some leathered up bikers as they get ready to go out to a party, or work on their motorbikes in their garages. The silent film is soundtracked by pre-Beatles American rock music. Just such an inane, meaningless movie. Very boring.

1969 Invocation of My Demon Brother 12 mins.

Some semi-documentary footage of hippies hanging out in a creepy looking house. Intercut with some other random stuff such as Anger performing a religious ceremony and the burning of a dead cat.

Mick Jagger did the soundtrack. He plays some repetitive ďmusicĒ on a moog. It was apparently done in one take as he watched the rough cut. You can tell he doesnít know how to use the instrument.

1970Ė1981 Lucifer Rising 29 mins.

His magnum opus.

If you saw it without the commentary track you wouldnít have a clue what was going on. This movie really needs to be explained as otherwise itís just a bunch of random images. Ugly images at that.

With the commentary it turned into a comedy as I sniggered at the obscure cobblers he came up with. It was like he was going out his way to not bring his audience along with him as there canít be more than five people in the world who could fathom what those images represent without being told. A work of incredible obscurity. Such as Marianne Faithfull holding up a scarf with her blood on it from a failed suicide attempt. Who would know what that was about without the commentary track?

The film is terrible. I think it was deliberately designed so that he could laugh at his audience as they fail to understand his intellectual genius.

2002 The Man We Want to Hang 12 mins.

Close ups on Aleister Crowley's art as it hangs on walls. Not thrilling.

To sum up: it is balls. Large balls. ďAvant-garde is French for crap,Ē as John Lennon once said."

I've always wanted to try some of Auger's work. Judging by your review I needn't bother. Sounds awful!

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 14370
Page:   <<   < prev  477 478 [479] 480 481   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  477 478 [479] 480 481   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI