Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  446 447 [448] 449 450   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/10/2011 10:44:35 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I watched ALPHA DOG on BBC3 last night - not usually the sorta film I'd be interested in but I was channel-hopping and it had just started. Damn good movie! I was vaguely aware of it but had never read any reviews or anything. Solid cast, including Anton Yelchin, Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, Emile Hirsch - delivering good performances. The stand outs are Trousersnake and especially Ben Foster as 'Mazursky' (LOVED the scene in which he goes crazy-ape-s**t, 'Bruce Lee' when he's looking for 'Johnny Truelove'!). The ending seemed a bit rushed but other than that - good film worth checking out.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13411
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/10/2011 11:54:13 AM   
Dr Lenera

I think it's hilarious that Bat and LH were in the same screen and didn't know it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fernetcontonica

Sauna

Two brother who lived very differently during the war join together with a team of russians with the mission of tracing the new borders after the war ended. The older brother has been morally rotten by war while the other studied and even has a cathedra in a Swedish university offered, and both come to conflict regarding an episode with a russian girl and his father. On their trip they find an isolated village in the center of a swamp, with an abandoned Sauna that the locals even fear.

Sauna is quite a nice film from Finland, it deals with the soul's degradation and even with huge issues like God and demons. The images are often simple but scary and all around the film is quite creepy. It has a lot of a "put your own thoughts" moments which the story can handle very well althought the use of some other tricks ends up detracting from the experience: It has an altered timeline around the beggining and later the trick gets completely dropped which ends up making you feel it was an unnecesary annoyance, but beyond that there's no much to complain about.

The Dead

I quite liked this little zombie film, it is set in Africa and follows two men that end up teaming together moved only by the wish of returning to their families. One of the most awesome aspects of it is that it features our beloved slow zombie that seem so rare these days and makes them work very well. They are silent, slow, and many. We see the characters act having that in mind, as instead of running like crazy whenever a zombie shows up in the horizon they feel in the pressure on timing every action that exposes them as zombies gather and approach. The film has no crazy gimmicks to try to make you go "wow", most kills are simply headshots. Another good point is the setting. most of the film is set in the African wilderness, which offers some really nice landscapes.The film it's even quite repetitive at times but it ends up adding up to the realism: Zombies are always there, slow and silent, wanting to munch you.

Rare Exports

And in a twist of fate I ended up watching another strange Finnish film. This one revolves around Santa Claus and a mountain that is believed to be something like his Mausoleum. Some Americans start digging the mountain but what lies there is not the Coca Cola Santa we all love to get presents from, but instead an incarnation of the Finnish folklore version.

Pietari, a little kid of about eight, is the one who starts investigating the whole thing and as usual, nobody cares about what he says. The setting the kid is in works wonderfully for that: He lives in a small boreal village of hardy and not very brillian men that relies on reindeer hunting, where he gets picked for "being a child" and is given loaded shotguns to kill reindeer. 

The film has a certain charm and a good deal of creepiness, it isn't really violent but it has its share of dark humor. Everything balances very well to make the film a really apt one for a Holiday Movie to watch with the family and any relatively grown child yet a worthy watch to anyone who likes crazy horrors, even in the end althought not really that swiftly: A really crazy epilogue follows the expectably christmassy end.

You never lack for picking wierd and wonderful films some of us have probably never heard of mate, and excellent and straight-to-the-point write ups.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 13412
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 9/10/2011 11:56:24 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Just pre-ordered...

Can you believe they've done a remake of Straw Dogs?!! I mean, why?!!!

I KNOW!!! But i am quite intrigued to see how they've attempted it. Checking out Rotten Tomatoes the US reviews have been far from sparkling , however I want to check it out for myself so will approach with caution!!

Remaking Straw Dogs is a terrible idea, and from what I've read they've removed many of the ambiguities and complexities, but, you know, I'll still go see it, if only to bitch about it

Post #: 13413
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 10/10/2011 11:43:06 AM   
batcountry84

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

quote:

Just got back from seeing this. It's very much in the feminist rape film tradition and clearly has some talent behind it. Whilst it's nowhere near as good as I Spit/Last House, it's certainly critiques the American Dream and the feminist themes/ending resonate well after the end credits. In fact, apart from one reveal towards the end which sends this into far-fetched territory (no pun intended for those who've seen it!), the ending is very good. This is a film which i've grown to like more as i've walked away from the cinema. The DVD/Blu Ray are both out on 17th October and i'd definitely recommend folks on this thread to give it a go.

Overall: 3.5/5

I'd probably give it a 4 but I agree. To think LH, me and thee were in the same screening and we didn't know! lol. You don't wear specs by any chance? A guy was sitting next but 2 seats away from me and I thought "that could be LH", despite not having a clue what you look like. lol.

Where were you sat Bats??? I was right at the very back (sans Lady Gaga hair/Eating Out t-shirt!!!)... I did stay up for Dead Heads but could't be bothered to brave the weather in the end. It's out on DVD on 2nd January but has received some rather lukewarm reviews.

It wasn't you then. I was sat 3rd or 4th row up (not on the flat ground) in the centre.  Heard Dead Heads was a bit meh. I didn't stay for that, needed my beauty sleep.
Hope you enjoyed Rihanna-ana-ana

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

Post #: 13414
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/10/2011 7:42:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: fernetcontonica

Sauna

Two brother who lived very differently during the war join together with a team of russians with the mission of tracing the new borders after the war ended. The older brother has been morally rotten by war while the other studied and even has a cathedra in a Swedish university offered, and both come to conflict regarding an episode with a russian girl and his father. On their trip they find an isolated village in the center of a swamp, with an abandoned Sauna that the locals even fear.

Sauna is quite a nice film from Finland, it deals with the soul's degradation and even with huge issues like God and demons. The images are often simple but scary and all around the film is quite creepy. It has a lot of a "put your own thoughts" moments which the story can handle very well althought the use of some other tricks ends up detracting from the experience: It has an altered timeline around the beggining and later the trick gets completely dropped which ends up making you feel it was an unnecesary annoyance, but beyond that there's no much to complain about.

The Dead

I quite liked this little zombie film, it is set in Africa and follows two men that end up teaming together moved only by the wish of returning to their families. One of the most awesome aspects of it is that it features our beloved slow zombie that seem so rare these days and makes them work very well. They are silent, slow, and many. We see the characters act having that in mind, as instead of running like crazy whenever a zombie shows up in the horizon they feel in the pressure on timing every action that exposes them as zombies gather and approach. The film has no crazy gimmicks to try to make you go "wow", most kills are simply headshots. Another good point is the setting. most of the film is set in the African wilderness, which offers some really nice landscapes.The film it's even quite repetitive at times but it ends up adding up to the realism: Zombies are always there, slow and silent, wanting to munch you.

Rare Exports

And in a twist of fate I ended up watching another strange Finnish film. This one revolves around Santa Claus and a mountain that is believed to be something like his Mausoleum. Some Americans start digging the mountain but what lies there is not the Coca Cola Santa we all love to get presents from, but instead an incarnation of the Finnish folklore version.

Pietari, a little kid of about eight, is the one who starts investigating the whole thing and as usual, nobody cares about what he says. The setting the kid is in works wonderfully for that: He lives in a small boreal village of hardy and not very brillian men that relies on reindeer hunting, where he gets picked for "being a child" and is given loaded shotguns to kill reindeer. 

The film has a certain charm and a good deal of creepiness, it isn't really violent but it has its share of dark humor. Everything balances very well to make the film a really apt one for a Holiday Movie to watch with the family and any relatively grown child yet a worthy watch to anyone who likes crazy horrors, even in the end althought not really that swiftly: A really crazy epilogue follows the expectably christmassy end.

Once again as the good Dr has pointed out,you have a great skill in finding some great strange films we have not seen,and with great short tothe point reviews.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 13415
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/10/2011 7:51:43 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Tonight, I watched Cannibal Holocaust for the very first time. All I can say is I was stunned. Extremely savage and powerful, it wasn't the most pleasant viewing experience. It made me feel dirty! I felt compelled to look away but I was completely drawn in. An incredible piece of horror cinema that deserves to be seen at least once. It's not a film I'll watch again if I have a free evening, although I will definitely revisit it somewhere down the line. It's a hard film to rate, but I'll give it 10 out of 10 as it's an amazingly crafted film.

It is one very disturbing film that is hard to stomach,but as you said draws you in,a true cult classic,but for me has not dated to well,like I Spit On Your Grave,but i don't see anybody remaking it.
quote:

dj vivace
Watching Cannibal Ferox for the second time tonight as part of my Video Nasty Project, and then the next film on the list is Cannibal Holocaust and I cannot wait to review the film, its history and the story behind the director. There is so much history to this film. To make matters even more interesting, I have the fully uncut region one copy to watch

If i remember right we bought the Region 1 about the same time,looking forward to your write up.you could watch Notebook instead and save yourself a sick bag.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13416
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 11/10/2011 7:59:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Just pre-ordered...

Just got back from seeing this. It's very much in the feminist rape film tradition and clearly has some talent behind it. Whilst it's nowhere near as good as I Spit/Last House, it's certainly critiques the American Dream and the feminist themes/ending resonate well after the end credits. In fact, apart from one reveal towards the end which sends this into far-fetched territory (no pun intended for those who've seen it!), the ending is very good. This is a film which i've grown to like more as i've walked away from the cinema. The DVD/Blu Ray are both out on 17th October and i'd definitely recommend folks on this thread to give it a go.

Overall: 3.5/5

A couple of real video nasty's there LH,and taking of nastys how did you not meet Bat at the screenings.
Great review by the way,sounds like a good addition to the collection.

Post #: 13417
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/10/2011 8:02:09 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN.... Aw man, that is, hands-down, one of the most batshit insane films I have EVER seen. Really.

And what's more, it was actually quite good! Absolutely out of its tree mental, but actually quite good.

I bought the Blu-Ray from Tesco for £8,due to the great write up of Dj and the Dr,and it is awesome but totally mental like Machete.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 13418
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 12/10/2011 9:02:26 PM   
evil bill

Well finaly got round to seeing this on rental Blu-Ray,the Dr gave it 5.5/10

Valerie( Amanda Seyfried) is a young woman living in a small village when her parents arranged for her to marry Henry, the successful village blacksmith she rebelsShe loves Peter who she grew up with,and plans to run away with him.But love never runs sweet,as Valerie's sister is killed by the werewolf that once terrorized the village but had not attacked anyone for a while because he had been left food. Some of the villagers hunt for the werewolf and supposedly kill it, but then werewolf hunter Father Solomon(Gary Oldman) arrives, who warns them that the werewolf could be somebody who lives in the village.

This is noting like  Irish director Neil Jordan  The Company Of Wolves which was a psychologically themed retelling of Little Red Riding Hood from a Freudian and slightly feminist angle.With bag full of symbolic folklore about werewolves, or, rather, their sexual connotation in a more adult 18cert version of Red Riding Hood.This after all is a 12 cert,which i found restricted this dark Fairy Tale to more Disney friendly tale with very little bite.This is a story i love and feel is a good source for Horror,and Neil Jordan proved it in his cult classic.

Now the good news is this is shot very like a cross between Legend and Company Of Wolves,with a splash of Twilight,so it looks awesome.Rich in colour,with wonderful use of landscapes and Gothic sets,it draws you into the land of airy tales.With a nice twist to the story,it kept a air of mystery nearly right up to the end,but there are some problems with the script,and its the ham dialogue.This once again is a film aimed at Teens and so should expect this sort of weak scripting,but with an actor like Gary Oldman on the pay role i'd expect better.Amanda Seyfried is out of her comfort zone and it shows,she struggles from start to finish,and the rest of the cast look lost.Add to this a so so CGI werewolf and you start to wonder why your watching this,but it is magical in the way it's shot.

Also it has an excellent score by Alex Heffes and Brian Reitzell,keep the magic going,and it all ends in a great whodunit ending,which just about saves it.So not a bad nights viewing,which looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,which i will buy,and also the soundtrack is now on the shopping list.I'm a sucker for Dark Fairy tales,and when they look and sound as beautiful as this,well i'm in a place i love,so i'll be nice to it in the end i liked it. 6/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13419
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 13/10/2011 5:31:23 AM   
fernetcontonica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I watched ALPHA DOG on BBC3 last night - not usually the sorta film I'd be interested in but I was channel-hopping and it had just started. Damn good movie! I was vaguely aware of it but had never read any reviews or anything. Solid cast, including Anton Yelchin, Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, Emile Hirsch - delivering good performances. The stand outs are Trousersnake and especially Ben Foster as 'Mazursky' (LOVED the scene in which he goes crazy-ape-s**t, 'Bruce Lee' when he's looking for 'Johnny Truelove'!). The ending seemed a bit rushed but other than that - good film worth checking out.

I happened to run on it the same way. Looking at the cover, it doesn't look like something I'd pick but when I caught on TV I just got hooked, as you said, the cast is very good, Timberlake does great except for a couple of minor forgivable slips. Some of the dark scenes felt a bit uncomfortable but I feel that in the end the whole thing ends up adding to the "what the hell ius happening?" atmosphere.

A couple of films on the fun side I watched with my brother.

Super Hybrid

Well, there's a certain charm in the idea of rampant cars preying on people. This film is just about that and it's actually very entertaining. A shapeshifting car that preys on people is taken to a garage after an accident and the workers get stuck there not only with the evil car but also with their twat of a boss, played by Oded Fehr. While the film doesn't put complaining of it very hard, it worked wonders for some good fun. Overall the film looked like it could have been a bit more than it was. Takling into account the apparently low budget and that it was a PG13 film, it did quite well. While the cheap CGI shows, the actors do their thing very well and you can really see their backs were wide enough to bear something a bit heavier. The script isn't really exciting but it does well enough for what it is. Where it does hit high is in the sountrack, which was very well conceived and, most importantly, used wisely, and some of the action scenes were actually very exciting favored with the choice of dropping any kind of crazy stunts.

D4: Mortal Unit

Quite reminiscent of something like Predator, this film made on the cheap does pay off. A grooup of elite mercenaries are summoned to rescue the son of some rich family who is held in this zone, D4, that the government used to make experiments of the nasty kind. There's an old war veteran who also gets into the zone in teh hope of rescuing his grandson. At ffirst one witnessed how the team is put together and also how the old man gets his grandson cheated away from him.

The film oozes heart and when I say it is made on the cheap, I really mean it. There was some kind of coolness from some of the scarcely used effects that looked like videogame ones, and the film takes benefit from very cheap things: Actors and characters with heart and a script where everything is dosed very intelligently. It doesn't give the impression of being an ambitious film, which is something that often ends up dooming many low-budget films, it rather feels like the people involved knew what they had and made the best of it with a very good result.

Last of the Living

And well, yet another zombie film . This one is from New Zealand and plays it a bit like a comedy-buddies movie that shows three guys who are living the good life in the middle fo a zombie apocalypse: they stay in mansions, raid stores, talk about rtivial stuff and all that, one of them, a former rock musician, even enjoys going into zombie asskickin sprees. And they live quite happilly until they find a girl who's in a quest to find the key to end with the zombie infection.

There's a lot of comedic talk in this one and not much to say about gore, althought some cool zombie killings sparkle here and there. Towards the end it loses its comedic focus and doesn't really work as well as before, which is probably my biggest complain about it. All around, it does pay if you're in teh mood for some funny dialogues and some zombie apocalyse.

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13420
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 13/10/2011 12:30:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Valerie( Amanda Seyfried) is a young woman living in a small village when her parents arranged for her to marry Henry, the successful village blacksmith she rebelsShe loves Peter who she grew up with,and plans to run away with him.But love never runs sweet,as Valerie's sister is killed by the werewolf that once terrorized the village but had not attacked anyone for a while because he had been left food. Some of the villagers hunt for the werewolf and supposedly kill it, but then werewolf hunter Father Solomon(Gary Oldman) arrives, who warns them that the werewolf could be somebody who lives in the village.

This is noting like  Irish director Neil Jordan  The Company Of Wolves which was a psychologically themed retelling of Little Red Riding Hood from a Freudian and slightly feminist angle.With bag full of symbolic folklore about werewolves, or, rather, their sexual connotation in a more adult 18cert version of Red Riding Hood.This after all is a 12 cert,which i found restricted this dark Fairy Tale to more Disney friendly tale with very little bite.This is a story i love and feel is a good source for Horror,and Neil Jordan proved it in his cult classic.

Now the good news is this is shot very like a cross between Legend and Company Of Wolves,with a splash of Twilight,so it looks awesome.Rich in colour,with wonderful use of landscapes and Gothic sets,it draws you into the land of airy tales.With a nice twist to the story,it kept a air of mystery nearly right up to the end,but there are some problems with the script,and its the ham dialogue.This once again is a film aimed at Teens and so should expect this sort of weak scripting,but with an actor like Gary Oldman on the pay role i'd expect better.Amanda Seyfried is out of her comfort zone and it shows,she struggles from start to finish,and the rest of the cast look lost.Add to this a so so CGI werewolf and you start to wonder why your watching this,but it is magical in the way it's shot.

Also it has an excellent score by Alex Heffes and Brian Reitzell,keep the magic going,and it all ends in a great whodunit ending,which just about saves it.So not a bad nights viewing,which looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,which i will buy,and also the soundtrack is now on the shopping list.I'm a sucker for Dark Fairy tales,and when they look and sound as beautiful as this,well i'm in a place i love,so i'll be nice to it in the end i liked it. 6/10

A fair, nicely balanced review, and though it had a great many flaws its images have stuck in my mind, so I will probably end up buying it some point soon!

Now just a short review of this one, but I say don't believe everything Ross and others have said

Blackwood Manor many many years ago   A trip wire makes a maid fall down some stairs into the basement.   Lord Blackwood, seemingly driven by whispering voices, removes the poor woman's teeth and offers them to some unseen creatures who live somewhere beyond the fireplace in return for his son.  The monsters pull him into the fireplace.  Present Day – young Alice is sent to live with her estranged father Alex and his girlfriend Kim at their new home.  The previous owner of the home was a famous painter who mysteriously disappeared.   As the couple begin work on renovating the place,  Alice starts to hear whispering voices, and discovers the basement where the fireplace has been bolted shut.  The voices ask her to open it………….

Even though we already have two fine reviews of this remake of the 1973 TV movie, I feel I must say a few words defending it!  This is a highly enjoyable, old-fashioned haunted house chiller which should entertain as long as you don't expect too much.  Guillermo Del Toro and his co-writer Matthew Robbins relocate the story in a much more Gothic environment, with Oliver Stapleton's cinematography making the most of one of the most forbidden houses in horror movies in a while, and they nicely build in a few more details while still leaving much that is unexplained or ambiguous.  They give the tale a slightly nastier edge with the use of a young girl being the one who sees the goblins, in the process giving us the scariest 'thing in a bad' scene since The Grudge.  Sadly though, it does fall down on its monsters, and I couldn't stop wandering how is it that three midgets in suits lumbering around oversized sets are far more frightening then loads of fast moving CGI creatures.  They show these Chihuahua/Gollum crosses far too much.  Recreations of some of the earlier films' bits fall sadly short, and characters behave like idiots, though I wouldn't call that a big deal, snce characters in horror movies often behave like idiots!   Nonetheless, aided immensely by a wonderfully emphatic score from Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders, this is definitely one of the better horror remakes of late and certainly justify its existence.  It may not frighten most of the time, but it has the gently chilling and strangely reassuring feel of a Victorian ghost story, and also boasts one of the best child performances I've seen in ages in Bailee Madison's Alice, really convincingly conveying fear and despair.
Rating:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13421
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 13/10/2011 2:50:52 PM   
Spaldron

I've pasted this from my review in the review thread.

Pretty enjoyable if ultimately average gothic horror fare. It has Del Toro's signature all over it (even though he didn't direct) like the gothic-fantasy theme and look. There's even a couple of scenes set in a garden maze similar to that in Pan's Labyrinth. The kid who plays Sally carries the film quite well but is annoying in places, Guy Pierce is reliable but kind of phones in his performance and Katie (Cruise lol) Holmes still can't act. Its a shame the best scare in the film was given away in the trailer and there's a few unnecessary "acting scenes" which don't work at all. Fun overall but lacking in any major scares and as far as Del Toro produced horror goes this is a long way from El Orfanato. 3/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13422
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 7:32:55 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Panels B, C and D artwork for Arrow's new Special Edition Blu-ray of Maniac Cop:

Also, the ArrowDrome DVD releases of The Funhouse and Obsession and the Arrow Blu-ray of Frankenhooker have been moved to January 2012.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13423
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 8:12:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

Have any of you seen Split Second the British sci-fi movie from the early 90s starring Rugter Hauer?

It is really, really fun and well worth tracking down.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13424
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 8:18:51 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Have any of you seen Split Second the British sci-fi movie from the early 90s starring Rugter Hauer?

Looking on iMDB it sounds cool. My sort of thing...your a sci-fi guy right Rgirvan? I love me some sci-fi, do you have any more recommendations?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13425
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 9:31:38 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

SPLIT SECOND is a classic! Best watched as part of a double-bill with the Dolph Lundgren's DARK ANGEL (I COME IN PEACE).

I think I still have the old ex-rental VHS somewhere in the colection.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 14/10/2011 9:32:30 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13426
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 11:30:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

SPLIT SECOND is a classic! Best watched as part of a double-bill with the Dolph Lundgren's DARK ANGEL (I COME IN PEACE).

Funnily enough Snake - we did watch it, and then Dark Angel, back to back. And not a deliberate choice either. Worked out really well. And before that I watched

Wanted; Dead of Alive (not great sadly)
Salute of the Jugger (BORING)
Hemogoblin (so bad it was great)
Armageddon (pretty good actully. Surprised me)

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 14/10/2011 11:32:13 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13427
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 11:31:48 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Anyone remember that film where a guy builds a female cyborg to 'keep him company' but over time he ages and of course she remains the same. It could be some sort of action/sci-fi film?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13428
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 14/10/2011 11:34:44 PM   
DazDaMan

Not Cherry 2000, is it?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 13429
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 15/10/2011 9:46:27 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Anyone remember that film where a guy builds a female cyborg to 'keep him company' but over time he ages and of course she remains the same. It could be some sort of action/sci-fi film?

EVE OF DESTRUCTION?

Post #: 13430
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 15/10/2011 12:35:25 PM   
losthighway

Check out the reviews here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_thing_2011/
What a shame!  Must admit I was rather looking forward to this one. I'll still be going to see mind but it's not sounding good.

Plus,

It's released this Monday (17th Oct). I've not seen it so gonna watch it on SKY Box Office...

Wouldn't mind seeing this too:

Also on SKY Box Office from Monday.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 15/10/2011 12:37:14 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13431
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 5:24:50 PM   
losthighway

Just saw this at Sainsburys for £7 and bought it for £4.50 (minus £2.50 nectar points!)

I'm a completist so had to end up next to the original trilogy eventually. I hated it at cinema though! Re-evaluate??

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 13432
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 7:50:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

A fair, nicely balanced review, and though it had a great many flaws its images have stuck in my mind, so I will probably end up buying it some point soon!

Now just a short review of this one, but I say don't believe everything Ross and others have said

Even though we already have two fine reviews of this remake of the 1973 TV movie, I feel I must say a few words defending it!  This is a highly enjoyable, old-fashioned haunted house chiller which should entertain as long as you don't expect too much.  Guillermo Del Toro and his co-writer Matthew Robbins relocate the story in a much more Gothic environment, with Oliver Stapleton's cinematography making the most of one of the most forbidden houses in horror movies in a while, and they nicely build in a few more details while still leaving much that is unexplained or ambiguous.  They give the tale a slightly nastier edge with the use of a young girl being the one who sees the goblins, in the process giving us the scariest 'thing in a bad' scene since The Grudge.  Sadly though, it does fall down on its monsters, and I couldn't stop wandering how is it that three midgets in suits lumbering around oversized sets are far more frightening then loads of fast moving CGI creatures.6/10

Thanks mate,and now i will give this film a shot,as i know we both like Gothic horror,and this sound like a decent chiller.
quote:

Pretty enjoyable if ultimately average gothic horror fare. It has Del Toro's signature all over it (even though he didn't direct) like the gothic-fantasy theme and look. There's even a couple of scenes set in a garden maze similar to that in Pan's Labyrinth. The kid who plays Sally carries the film quite well but is annoying in places, Guy Pierce is reliable but kind of phones in his performance and Katie (Cruise lol) Holmes still can't act. Its a shame the best scare in the film was given away in the trailer and there's a few unnecessary "acting scenes" which don't work at all. Fun overall but lacking in any major scares and as far as Del Toro produced horror goes this is a long way from El Orfanato. 3/5

Another decent review,and similar scores,though Katie,as said can't act to save her life.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13433
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 7:53:51 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

I also had this on ex rental VHS,but sadly like the machine and format,it's been binned,after one of the little monsters chewed it.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13434
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 8:01:10 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Reminds me of Saturn 3 (1980) with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett

It's's a forgotten Sci/Fi horror SATURN 3(1980)starring Kirk Douglas,Harvey Keitel and Farrah FawcettFarrah and Kirk are scientist's on the third moon off Saturn,when Harvey arrives with the robot Hector,things take a turn for the worse.Harvey puts his own thought's into the robots brain,and we end up with an out of control horny robot after Farrah(who could blame him).There's plenty of mayhem and gore,and the effects(pre CGI)are quite good and led to the technology for the robot in TERMINATOR.

No classic but a fun bit of horror that owes more to Demon Seed/Alien than any other movie.It deserves a good remastering and a double Disc DVD,but you can get the vanilla disc or it's also packaged with Capricorn One twin pack.

Post #: 13435
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 10:19:26 PM   
DazDaMan

Surely this has to qualify for this thread??

Yes, it's been one of my favourite films for years, despite being (supposedly) the worst of the four. Daft plot, and a very fake-looking shark? Sure, but it's a damn sight better than MANY of the more modern shark movies out there. I think a good heart beats within Jaws - The Revenge, and I'm not just saying that. It's just a damn shame that it was directed by an incompetent director who patched together a shoddy ending for the sake of it.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13436
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 17/10/2011 11:28:59 PM   
juanvasquez

I love Jaws The Revenge. A perfect example of so bad it's good.

It's utterly ridiculous, I mean the fucking shark follows a family from east coast USA to the Bahamas! And they took a plane! And if you were to cut all the shark scenes together you'd probably get 10 or 15 minutes worth of footage.

The ending is frigging ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the original ending on TV before, rather than the exploding one doing the rounds nowadays. And the last scene where Van Peebles appears out of nowhere is blatantly filmed in a pool/tank!

I can't believe it used to terrify me as a kid!

I still love it though and would watch it whenever it appears on TV.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 13437
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/10/2011 1:10:02 AM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

Just saw this at Sainsburys for £7 and bought it for £4.50 (minus £2.50 nectar points!)

I'm a completist so had to end up next to the original trilogy eventually. I hated it at cinema though! Re-evaluate??

Err... yeah seeing as its a cracking sequel. You got a good deal there! Pitty the UK edition has fuck all extra's wise.

I've just watched Stake Land. Very good but it's proper bleak!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 13438
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/10/2011 1:16:01 AM   
HughesRoss

What is it all about?
When lawyer and proud family man Chris Cleek stumbles across a wild, feral woman bathing in a woodland stream near his isolated country home, he makes a decision that will dramatically change both their lives.

Capturing her, Chris chains The Woman up in the fruit cellar below his house, intending to tame and civilize her. But when the task at hand proves to be more difficult than first imagined, he sets in motion a collision course for a brutal showdown between his family and the wild female force of nature...

The Verdict!

Before I start, I did not realise that The Woman was a sequel to the 2009 unknown cult hit Offspring! 

Somehow this little detail was not mentioned to me even though I am one of the last of the HCF critics to set my horror eyes on this new horror that has caused waves of excitement and controversy at many horror festivals during this year.  It was a good twenty minutes when I realised that I had been here before, way back in 2009 in fact when I was first introduced to this character of The Woman.  As soon as my eyes clapped on the figure of Pollyanna McIntosh (who reprises the role), I realised to my shock that this was the same character that appeared in Andrew van den Houten's Offspring, a straight to DVD horror that has gained many fans.  How I missed this information is a shocker for someone who prides themselves on gathering as much info on new horror films, so you can imagine my surprise and even more new found added excitement towards a movie that I was already looking forward too!

The cause of my excitement was two things:

Reason number 1 was a man who helped generate all the publicity this film needed to succeed.  His stand up routine during the Sundance Film Festival, in which he started screaming when the film was being played, in which he aired his disgust at what he claimed was a terrible portrayal at women.  His words that the film should be "burned" had the film makers laughing all the way to the path of success because like The Human Centipede 2 has proved, bad press is good press if you are a horror film.

Reason number 2 was the man behind the camera, a certain Lucky McKee who fans will know directed the underrated 2002 horror masterpiece MAY and while he has never really followed upon that promise he showed, the fact he was back in the genre that served him well and reunited with MAY star Angela Bettis, (even though she has appeared in all his films since) made The Woman an attractive figure to look at.....so was the wait worth it?

My main surprise was that the film is not the original plot experience I was expecting!  Memories of the equally good Dead Girl lingers long into the air with both films sharing a common theme, the imprisonment of "a woman" but instead of a zombie, this time we have a cannibalistic she-bitch who was last seen in Offspring fighting for her life after some humans fought back.  Now with her clan dead and all alone, she lives in a cave where see her with a new baby, which if my memory serves me right, is some kind of cult tradition explained in the previous film.  Her life is interrupted when she is spotted by the bastard Chris (Sean Bridgers), who captures her,chains her up and then subjects her to abuse while his family watch on!

Now I call him a bastard because he is!  A horrible and I mean horrible creation who rules the family with an air of violence.  His kids are scared of him, his wife tip toes around him and its his word or nothing.  He really is in the mould of Stepfather Jerry Blake, a hideous man who in fact is the monster of this film and not The Woman who he keeps in the cellar!  To be honest the biggest surprise of the film is the fact that the title character is a backdrop to the plot. The evil is all centred around Chris and there are strong currents of plot threads that surface now and again that even suggests that the father is in fact raping his own daughter Peg (Lauren Ashley Carter).

With a son who seems to be following in the path of his father, the film is heavy on the family theme and this plays more like a sick drama than a downright horror. The scary uncomfortable scenes is when Chris uses his fists on his family,everything else is just normal horror trait and I found it strange why a film would cause such fuss for a member of the audience.  The constant rape scenes in the Dead Girl should have caused more ripples but then maybe the impact here is more stronger because the acting is fantastic and the direction by McKee is exquisite, it is without question his finest film since May and I really hope this kicks him in the right direction because I really do not want to wait another nine years for his next one!

The Woman is a fine watch that shows you can still make a challenging horror film!  There is a great shock or better words "twist" at the climax which I never saw coming, and while it loses a few marks for the predicatable outcome, at its core this is a strong family horror with two of the best performances of the horror year in Bridgers and McIntosh who her in particular excells once more as the mute killer.  They are both so good that you be asking the question......which one is the real monster!

The Woman is the third chapter in a series of books by Jack Ketchum which just leaves the adaption of Off Season to be made.......This horror fan is waiting for that day to come!

4 OUT OF 5

And to bump up my original review of the first film that started it all:

There is something quite alright about this horror that many will call just another The Hills Have Eyes rip off!

What I liked about this horror and also what is the strongest aspect of the entire film, is that there are moments when the word unexpected will soak into your brain.  What is the normal trait of all horrors are totally ignored, one point that emphasis this is that at the beginning we spend an enormous amount of time with one character who we all think must be the hero of the piece.  The build up is quite nice, and just when you think that this one human will fight back, we are stunned by the fact that they die so brutally and harshly.  It was that on that moment when this horror put me on a path of uncertainly and the unknown, and for that, I can only admire it.

For such uncertainly we do start with certainly, in a title sequence that is becoming a norm for horrors these days.  Newspaper cut outs in which you probably have to read, tell the story of a lighthouse family who went missing over 100 years ago in a storm.  Never to be found, over the years people, especially children have gone missing never to be seen again, and the myth is that the missing family survived the storm that engulfed the area and lived in the dense forest.  Over the years and a lot of inbreeding, they now live us cannibals, and their need for human flesh, results in many innocent people being killed and eaten.  They also have a bizarre upbringing rule of stealing children to either have as their own or to kill, for the latter reason the film never quite explains.  It is this rule that brings them to the family of the Halbards, who have friends over and a newborn baby.

How it all began for The Woman

After a prolonged start in which the film does not quite build the impending doom, maybe to do with the sub acting that at times gets on your nerves, the film kicks off when we visit the cave in which the humans animals live.  We witness a sex scene in which one of these very young looking things gets on one of their relatives who is chained up and called a cow by their language of grunts which thanks to the aid of subtitles we get what they are saying.  While she is jumping up and down in what is an uncomfortable scene due to the fact that there are very young children creatures watching the whole show, the leader of this clan is making plans to go the house and do what they do best.

Please forgive me as well, I usually manage to put all the name of the characters in my reviews but its very hard here.   With names of Rabbit, First Stolen and Eartheater, it was quite impossible to know who was playing who, the only person I pinpointed was the character of Steven played by Eriick Kastel but I get to the reason for that in a bit!

When the attack happens, its here that the film mightily kicks off.   The normal family is having a night in, there is a knock on the door and all of a sudden blood, death, rape, it all happens in what is a relentless horror assault and despite its quite low budget status, it really is a very strong horror set piece, that will delight all gore hounds.

The film does not stop there, those who die are left there and the unlucky ones get dragged back to the cave, and again this where the strong aspect of the film, the unexpectedly again kicks in.  Having been stunned at who dies, we then see kids die.  Ok not everyone's cup of tea but there is a reason here, its not added on for shock value like some films do.  When you fighting off survival and have these kids dressed in primitive clothes coming to attack you, what would you do, especially when they are holding knives and hatchets.  You do anything to survive in those circumstances even though if it means killing young children.  Its not done in a gruesome way as well, its what would happen if normal people are confronted with blood thirsty children.

So lets get to Steve.  Now this is the clever part of the film.  An ex husband of one of the family who get attacked and who is on his way to the house to cause trouble, he really is a disgusting excuse of a human being.  When we first meet him, he picks up a female hitchhiker and then sexually assaults her.  By the time he gets sucked into all the terror, the film makes you think who is the most brutal human being.  These things that only know one way of living and at no fault of their own, or this man, that does things in here that you can can not help but shake your head in disbelief.  When the two attitudes clash, it brings a scene of shockness to the lengths at which Steve goes to and its this theme that harks back to the 70's when this social debate was a strong fore in horror films.

And that is where Offspring belongs, its heart is firmly in the exportation era.  Its not shocking has those films, in fact its quite tame, and the movie may struggle to find much of an audience.  What I mean by that is the low budget and dubious acting will put many off, and those who are a fans of the modern Wrong Turn may laugh at what is on offer, but there are a few who remember when these kind of films were the rage, will get a lot of kicks from watching and like I said before, the lack of any hero and character base means you will never know who will survive and for that, the unexpected edge is a huge bonus for a film that does what many has done before, and it needs to be watched just to be introduced to the character of  The Woman which the role is played brilliantly in both films by Pollyanna McIntosh.

OVERALL: 70's horror revisited, this may be a clone to many superior films of this nature, but it delivers when required, and not many horror films make you root for characters who kill little kids..........

3 out of 5

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 13439
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/10/2011 1:16:58 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Scre4m   fecking rocks...do we really want to argue about this again?

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 13440
Page:   <<   < prev  446 447 [448] 449 450   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  446 447 [448] 449 450   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI