Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/8/2011 7:18:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Hello weirdos!!!

Two films by one of my fave directors are out on DVD tomorrow...

Please check these films out folks... yes i'm pushing the queer agenda again but i promise ya that they both fit neatly into the realms of the weird/strange!

I watched this earlier: A rather tedious film with a nasty aftertaste. I honestly can't say that it's worth wasting 90mins of your life on. The sad thing is it shows the character on the DVD sleeve editing a copy of Book of Blood(!! ), a better film than this tripe and also from the fabulously queer Clive Barker...  Overall: 1/5

Watched this last night:

Think of a more realistic version of Kick Ass with a rather sadistic pleasure in graphic violence (hence that 18 cert!). In fact, Wan's sadism is the main flaw with this film - it just doesn;t sit very well within the context of the film and my only thought is that he is trying to present a serious aversion for any thickos considering copying aspects from the film. As for the story itself, well just watch out for Page's seriously fucked up sidekick, Fillion's Holy Avenger (inspired!) and Wilson's rather surreal labotomy!!  This one is definitely worth a watch. Overall: 3.5/5

DVDs left to watch this week...  

And at the cinema...

And on TV... I'm rather enjoying

...Peace out nutjobs!!!

Well you have been a busy BEE,and i hope you enjoy Hobo With A Shotgun as much as myself and a few other Weridos on here.As for Dread i liked it,though i seem to have liked Book Of Blood a little more,i think Baker is a great Horror writer and Director,and these two movies need the man himself behind the camera.Both are short storys that need his touch to give them more bite,but as i said i still enjoyed them,i just wish Barker would get behind the camera again.
Looking forward to SUPER 8 tomorrow night,and also hoping to get hold of  LIVID ???as i'm sure it will not get a wide release.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13141
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/8/2011 7:22:33 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

SUPER (2011)

It's a very surprising movie as many things happen that I didn't predict. It's both a good thing and a bad thing that it doesn't play by the rules. Probably more good than bad. It's nice to be taken by surprise with unexpected deaths, abrupt tonal changes and quickly curtailed sub-plots etc. The downside is that those predictable identikit elements are constantly used in other films for a reason - because they work. By not following expectations of standardised rules it does feel a little amateurish and unpolished, like it's missing a major rewrite.

It very much plays like a low budget indie flick with wobbly handheld camerawork, semi-improvised dialogue* and the odd flat stretch. The film is quickly paced, and even though it never dawdles, it still threatens to slow to a crawl from time to time. Thankfully it doesn't and it keeps moving.

There are also a few laugh out loud sequences, such as the dramatic getaway that is compromised by a stalling car.

The film it most reminds me of is History of Violence in its plot, themes and structure.

The movie doesn't quite work, but I suppose it's probably very memorable. If the superior Kick-Ass hadn't already done this plotline first, then I'm sure it would be much more impressive.

Overall it's above average. It's definitely worth seeing.

6 out of 10

* I don't think any of the dialogue is improvised, or even mumbled, but it has that sort of feel to it. I can't quite find the words to describe the acting style.

Seems to be getting good reviews even from from all the guys/girls on here,must get it out this weekend all being well.I like the idea it's like Kick Ass only darker,that has got me interested big time.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 13142
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/8/2011 7:31:46 PM   
Dr Lenera

February 1979, in the town of Lillian, Ohio.  Elizabeth Lamb has been killed in an accident, leaving young Joe just with a father who has never really been there for him due to his job as the Sheriff. Four months later it is summer, and Joe and some friends are making a short zombie movie to enter in a competition.  Joe is also starting to experience the pangs of first love for the Alice, the female lead of the film.  Whilst shooting a scene at the railway station, they are witness to a dreadful train crash, possibly caused by a car on the track.  Lot of strange white cubes are scattered about and their science teacher is discovered, dying and warning them not to tell anyone what they have seen.  Soon after that the military start showing up and something is possibly stalking the town………..

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a detailed review of Super 8, but the film did provoke a curious reaction as I exited the cinema though, namely that I wasn't sure if it was a good film or not.  I'm still not convinced.  For most of its length, it's a nicely low key story with considerable charm and a real sense of time, place and that moment when a child starts to develop slight characteristics of an adult.  The film has considerable flaws though, and I wonder if its basic idea should have stayed an idea, because, though certainly beguiling [it was of course influenced by J.J.Abrams' own childhood]  it's somewhat botched as seen here.  Of course it's largely a tribute to films like The Goonies and Stand By Me and reminded somewhat oddly of The Iron Giant; unfortunately it's also a partial tribute to the horrid E.T.The Extra Terrestrial, a film I dislike with a passion [though I adore Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, so it's probably just this critic again demonstrating his bizarre taste], though it's considerably better than that!

The early moments set the stage with considerable economy, with just a few short scenes somehow transmitting some of the pain and sadness of Joe's mother's death, and we get a sense of all the characters almost immediately.  This is one really great thing about this movie – virtually all the main protagonists, including the adults, are believable, convincing and undergo some form of character development without it seeming false and put in just for drama's sake.  The first half hour of Super 8 really is quite superb, having a wonderful nostalgic glow about it.  You really feel like you are watching a film from the late 70s or the early 80s because the setting is so convincingly rendered and the film is even shot like one.  Scenes showing the kids making their film are wonderfully charming and very funny, while Joe's growing interest in Alice is genuinely sweet.  Then the movie makes its first misstep with the train crash.  It might be spectacular, but the train in no way looks like it's part of the film, the CGI being really bad here.  Still, tension now starts to develop and Abrams shows how good he might be making a straight horror film, with two scenes of people being stalked by the 'monster' being very good indeed, with especially effective use of sound like a gentle wind blowing or a railway signal creaking.  Sadly, after one quite scary little scene which is a variation on the terrifying 'birthday party' bit from Signs, tension than begins to quickly evaporate with lots of scenes involving the military, which quite frankly could have been cut; I think it would have been much better to show everything from the children's point of view.

Towards the end, the pace suddenly becomes very fast but the film almost goes off the rails, lost in a glut of shoddy CGI and terrible editing.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the Curse Of The One-Second Edit, The Random Close Up and The Shaking Camera again, so that during the action you can't really see what's going on and just get sore eyes.  Now I didn't actually mind it too much in Star Trek and it suited Cloverfield, but for a film set in 1979 and ostensibly in the style of a much older movie, this approach is a disaster. One scene involving being trapped in a van and glass starting to crack shows how much better Steven Spielberg can do this sort of thing.  As for the effects, I wondered at one point if they were deliberately fake looking, in an imitation of the effects you may find in a '79 film, but then I decided that probably wasn't the case, because most effects from a film of that year look so much better.  The actual creature looks okay in close up but when he's moving about – well, I was never convinced he was actually there.  The film as a whole gets almost disastrous towards the end, with the kids running to seemingly every building in town for whatever reason, and shouting "what's happening?” every minute, the army shooting at seemingly nothing, and two of the most idiotic "huh?” scenes, both involving the creature,  I've seen in ages.  The ending really wants to be uplifting, but just feels fake, forced and rushed.  I never thought I'd say this, but despite enjoying a great many films about aliens, I would much rather had the whole film be about the making of the zombie film, the romance, in fact everything except the alien and military stuff, because those elements of the film are so well judged and likeable. The rest just feels tacked on and just hasn't been thought through.  I wonder if Abrams realises this, because he treats us to the completed zombie film at the end, and it's a joy to watch, better, in fact, than the proceeding half an hour.

I've already said how the direction is all over the place, and in addition to what I've already mentioned, there are countless Spielberg – like shots such as the 'people looking up at something in awe', which is annoyingly overused, and a ridiculous amount of lens flares. I know it's an Abrams trademark but really overdone here.  The acting though is quite superb by everyone, including the younger cast.  They are mostly cast as stereotypes, purposely I'm sure – you know, the fat one, the nerdy one, the 'normal' one, etc, but care in the writing and perfectly pitched performances really make them into real people, maybe just a bit like you may have been when you were young.  I was especially impressed with Elle Fanning as Alice; she manages to convey both childlike innocence and a kind of 'wise beyond her years' wisdom.  Her scene when she gets carried away acting a major scene is simply wonderful.  Michael Giacchino's score sounds so much like John Williams I actually thought it was him at first [even though I know Giacchino usually does Abrams' stuff], it replicates his chords, his instrumentation, everything, though Giacchino doesn't really have Williams' knack for memorable themes.  There is a lot of good stuff in Super 8, and it's an easy film to like, but there really is a great deal of crap in it as well, as if Abrams wasn't really sure what film he was trying to make.  I sure as hell wasn't sure what film I was watching.
6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 10/8/2011 7:33:04 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13143
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 10/8/2011 9:26:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

February 1979, in the town of Lillian, Ohio.  Elizabeth Lamb has been killed in an accident, leaving young Joe just with a father who has never really been there for him due to his job as the Sheriff. Four months later it is summer, and Joe and some friends are making a short zombie movie to enter in a competition.  Joe is also starting to experience the pangs of first love for the Alice, the female lead of the film.  Whilst shooting a scene at the railway station, they are witness to a dreadful train crash, possibly caused by a car on the track.  Lot of strange white cubes are scattered about and their science teacher is discovered, dying and warning them not to tell anyone what they have seen.  Soon after that the military start showing up and something is possibly stalking the town………..

I've already said how the direction is all over the place, and in addition to what I've already mentioned, there are countless Spielberg – like shots such as the 'people looking up at something in awe', which is annoyingly overused, and a ridiculous amount of lens flares. I know it's an Abrams trademark but really overdone here.  The acting though is quite superb by everyone, including the younger cast.  They are mostly cast as stereotypes, purposely I'm sure – you know, the fat one, the nerdy one, the 'normal' one, etc, but care in the writing and perfectly pitched performances really make them into real people, maybe just a bit like you may have been when you were young.  I was especially impressed with Elle Fanning as Alice; she manages to convey both childlike innocence and a kind of 'wise beyond her years' wisdom.  Her scene when she gets carried away acting a major scene is simply wonderful.  Michael Giacchino's score sounds so much like John Williams I actually thought it was him at first [even though I know Giacchino usually does Abrams' stuff], it replicates his chords, his instrumentation, everything, though Giacchino doesn't really have Williams' knack for memorable themes.  There is a lot of good stuff in Super 8, and it's an easy film to like, but there really is a great deal of crap in it as well, as if Abrams wasn't really sure what film he was trying to make.  I sure as hell wasn't sure what film I was watching.
6.5/10

Once again an excellent review which i mainly agree with,after seeing it last night,so here's my take on it too;
Well how do you top Cloverfield and the Star Trek re imaging,well do a film based on your favourites from your childhood.And here we we have a well-crafted heart warming homage to Steven Spielberg's early films like E.T,Close Encounters and Jaws.And ones he didn't actually direct himself like The Goones,Arachnaphobia,and Poltergeist to name but a few.There also nods and winks to so many other films,to many to list,in this look back to a better time with better films,that had heart and story over effects.A story of kids making a Zombie film while a mother dies,a train crashes,and an alien walks amongst them.But the alien is a sub plot,for this is more about childhood and lost innocence,about growing older and the choices you must make while grief haunts you.

The acting was very convincing on the whole,with a cast of unknowns,and young characters played extremely well by Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney. They interact well,and add to the main plot in that rose-tinted view of childhood so favoured by Spielberg, who is the producer on this film,giving that added interest.Though for such a well produced film the CGI is a bit ropey at times,and i did not like the digital look,for this is suppose to be nostalgia.It should have used good old fashioned film stock,and did with out the shaky camera work,which in a film like this is off putting.

J.J. Abrams once again though proves he is the best at this sort of B movie blockbuster,with the first first 40 minutes full of suspense,some amazing scenes,a great opening,and superb script/story.This is missing from the current crop of CGI laden, lacklustre adventure flicks,aimed at the popcorn teens who are brought upon a diet of X Factor and brainless pop videos.Super 8 distinguishes itself by having a a heart and brains,by being more than the sum of it's maybe flawed but wonderful parts.Though it is also let down by a predictable dull ending,but maybe they just added to much to the mix,and ran out of a final blast.All in all i still enjoyed Super 8, it was a terrific film experience,that needs the big screen,and loves the big screen,it's where film belongs,not on downloadsMe feeling like a chunk of genuine nostalgia is needed well here i got it in spades,and so i give it 7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 10/8/2011 9:34:06 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13144
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 11/8/2011 8:06:00 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Presenting the Panel A artwork for the new Shameless Special Edition of Cannibal Holocaust:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13145
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/8/2011 2:04:49 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Presenting the Panel A artwork for the new Shameless Special Edition of Cannibal Holocaust:

It's still cut in both versions though... even the supposed new director's cut is incomplete!

Just buy the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition (R0 DVD) from a few years ago... if the animal cruelty really offends you then there is an option to watch it without in the main menu. From what i've read of this Shameless release, the Director's Cut is basically this option but presented as a new DC... Hmmmmmmmm...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13146
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/8/2011 5:39:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

It's still cut in both versions though... even the supposed new director's cut is incomplete!

Just buy the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition (R0 DVD) from a few years ago... if the animal cruelty really offends you then there is an option to watch it without in the main menu. From what i've read of this Shameless release, the Director's Cut is basically this option but presented as a new DC... Hmmmmmmmm...

Been checking this out and your correct LH,your better off with the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition,it's as close as you'll ever get to a fully uncut version,which like yourself i also own.I did see a bootleg version a long time ago on VHS and it was uncut,i can't see it ever getting a full version passed uncut.

Post #: 13147
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 12/8/2011 5:51:50 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

quote:

Been checking this out and your correct LH,your better off with the Grindhouse Deluxe Edition,it's as close as you'll ever get to a fully uncut version,which like yourself i also own.I did see a bootleg version a long time ago on VHS and it was uncut,i can't see it ever getting a full version passed uncut.

In fairness, it's only 14 seconds, and the offending sequence has been replaced with alternate footage, but the sound is kept. And it's Shameless! You're gonna miss out on a huge Special Edition!!!

PS: I don't work for Arrow or Shameless... yet !

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13148
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/8/2011 12:32:18 AM   
losthighway

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In fairness, it's only 14 seconds, and the offending sequence has been replaced with alternate footage, but the sound is kept. And it's Shameless! You're gonna miss out on a huge Special Edition!!!

PS: I don't work for Arrow or Shameless... yet !

Soz Paul but you ain't selling it to me... I'll be sticking with my complete UNCUT Grindhouse Deluxe release...

Plus, anyone with an 360 on here? LIMBO arrived in post this morning. I don't have XBox Live and hadn't realised it was available on disc until a few days ago!!

Post #: 13149
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 13/8/2011 10:09:36 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a detailed review of Super 8, but the film did provoke a curious reaction as I exited the cinema though, namely that I wasn't sure if it was a good film or not.  I'm still not convinced.  For most of its length, it's a nicely low key story with considerable charm and a real sense of time, place and that moment when a child starts to develop slight characteristics of an adult.  The film has considerable flaws though, and I wonder if its basic idea should have stayed an idea, because, though certainly beguiling [it was of course influenced by J.J.Abrams' own childhood]  it's somewhat botched as seen here.  Of course it's largely a tribute to films like The Goonies and Stand By Me and reminded somewhat oddly of The Iron Giant; unfortunately it's also a partial tribute to the horrid E.T.The Extra Terrestrial, a film I dislike with a passion [though I adore Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, so it's probably just this critic again demonstrating his bizarre taste], though it's considerably better than that!

The early moments set the stage with considerable economy, with just a few short scenes somehow transmitting some of the pain and sadness of Joe's mother's death, and we get a sense of all the characters almost immediately.  This is one really great thing about this movie – virtually all the main protagonists, including the adults, are believable, convincing and undergo some form of character development without it seeming false and put in just for drama's sake.  The first half hour of Super 8 really is quite superb, having a wonderful nostalgic glow about it.  You really feel like you are watching a film from the late 70s or the early 80s because the setting is so convincingly rendered and the film is even shot like one.  Scenes showing the kids making their film are wonderfully charming and very funny, while Joe's growing interest in Alice is genuinely sweet.  Then the movie makes its first misstep with the train crash.  It might be spectacular, but the train in no way looks like it's part of the film, the CGI being really bad here.  Still, tension now starts to develop and Abrams shows how good he might be making a straight horror film, with two scenes of people being stalked by the 'monster' being very good indeed, with especially effective use of sound like a gentle wind blowing or a railway signal creaking.  Sadly, after one quite scary little scene which is a variation on the terrifying 'birthday party' bit from Signs, tension than begins to quickly evaporate with lots of scenes involving the military, which quite frankly could have been cut; I think it would have been much better to show everything from the children's point of view.

Towards the end, the pace suddenly becomes very fast but the film almost goes off the rails, lost in a glut of shoddy CGI and terrible editing.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the Curse Of The One-Second Edit, The Random Close Up and The Shaking Camera again, so that during the action you can't really see what's going on and just get sore eyes.  Now I didn't actually mind it too much in Star Trek and it suited Cloverfield, but for a film set in 1979 and ostensibly in the style of a much older movie, this approach is a disaster. One scene involving being trapped in a van and glass starting to crack shows how much better Steven Spielberg can do this sort of thing.  As for the effects, I wondered at one point if they were deliberately fake looking, in an imitation of the effects you may find in a '79 film, but then I decided that probably wasn't the case, because most effects from a film of that year look so much better.  The actual creature looks okay in close up but when he's moving about – well, I was never convinced he was actually there.  The film as a whole gets almost disastrous towards the end, with the kids running to seemingly every building in town for whatever reason, and shouting "what's happening?” every minute, the army shooting at seemingly nothing, and two of the most idiotic "huh?” scenes, both involving the creature,  I've seen in ages.  The ending really wants to be uplifting, but just feels fake, forced and rushed.  I never thought I'd say this, but despite enjoying a great many films about aliens, I would much rather had the whole film be about the making of the zombie film, the romance, in fact everything except the alien and military stuff, because those elements of the film are so well judged and likeable. The rest just feels tacked on and just hasn't been thought through.  I wonder if Abrams realises this, because he treats us to the completed zombie film at the end, and it's a joy to watch, better, in fact, than the proceeding half an hour.

6.5/10

Seen this today, and loved it. Amazing special effects, and great performances from a young cast. It was a perfect tribute to cinema in my opinion. The trailers don't do the film justice, it's something you have to see for yourself.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13150
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 14/8/2011 7:32:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

Only time for a short review of this

Will Rodman is a scientist who is experimenting with a cure for Alzheimer’s on apes.  Recent tests show amazing intelligence on one ape, but when said primate goes ‘ape’, all the animals are put down and the lab shut down.  However the trial ape had a baby, and Will takes it home to his family where it exhibits increased mental growth.  When Will tests the drug on his sick father, who names the ape Caeser, he becomes much better. However when an incident results in Caeser biting someone, he is shipped off to a primate ‘sanctuary’, where life is far tougher than he is used to. His intelligence, though, still grows…………

After Tim Burton’s awful Planet of The Apes remake, there was only one way for the ‘Apes’ series to go and that was up.  This movie takes the basic premise of Conquest Of The  Planet Of The Apes – apes rising up against their human masters – and spins a very different story out of it.  The result is probably the best ‘Apes’ movie since the 1968 original and quite possible the best ‘blockbuster’ so far this year, though it’s far from perfect.  The majority of the film is build up but the plotting is very good and the film moves at a swift pace, with scenes mostly short and to the point.  Caeser is quite simply the most convincing character ever created – I for one am very critical of CG effects, basically because I think they are lazy and often very poor, but in this movie they are superb.  You really think Caeser is there and because of that you empathise with him greatly, resulting in some extremely touching scenes which are genuinely touching but not overdone, but the other apes are all very well done too.  The action climax is terrific, with the sight of apes running riot probably the coolest spectacle seen on cinema screens so far this year, though the film then seems to suddenly stop and I could have done with a bit more simian rampaging.  James Franco isn’t given any chance to display his character’s moral dilemmas and Frieda Pinto just didn’t need to be in the movie at all, in fact the human side of the story seems rushed, but it’s the ape’s show, and that works fine.  Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a blockbuster crafted with great care, scripted and directed so it results in maximum audience manipulation.  Roll on the sequel.8/10

Post #: 13151
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/8/2011 8:16:27 AM   
NCC1701A

Good review Dr Lenera looking forward to seeing this myself.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13152
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/8/2011 4:39:17 PM   
losthighway

Neither weird or strange (but when has that ever stopped me!!)... just read this on the BBFC website and my heart sank a bit...

During post-production, the distributor sought and was given advice on how to secure the desired classification. Following this advice, certain changes were made prior to submission. Detailed information on these changes is below but may contain plot details or spoilers. Show details »

THE INBETWEENERS MOVIE was originally seen by the BBFC in an unfinished version. The company was informed that the film was likely to receive an '18' classification but the preferred '15' classification could be achieved by making cuts in four scenes. These were to remove an aggressive use of very strong language, to remove a particularly crude verbal sex reference (to urolagnia), and to reduce the explicitness of two scenes of sexual activity (one of self-fellatio and one of masturbation). When the completed version of the film was submitted, the aggressive use of very strong language had been redubbed, the crude verbal sex reference had been removed, and the strong scenes of sexual activity had been reduced, by a mixture of cutting and reframing. The film was therefore classified '15' without further cuts.

I'm a fan of the show and would have loved to have seen that 18 certificate version... the fact EIF has sought advice does not surprise me one bit but the fact so much was changed for the sake of money-making is shameful. I seriously hope an uncut version is released on DVD!

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 13153
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/8/2011 4:50:07 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Neither weird or strange (but when has that ever stopped me!!)... just read this on the BBFC website and my heart sank a bit...

During post-production, the distributor sought and was given advice on how to secure the desired classification. Following this advice, certain changes were made prior to submission. Detailed information on these changes is below but may contain plot details or spoilers. Show details »

THE INBETWEENERS MOVIE was originally seen by the BBFC in an unfinished version. The company was informed that the film was likely to receive an '18' classification but the preferred '15' classification could be achieved by making cuts in four scenes. These were to remove an aggressive use of very strong language, to remove a particularly crude verbal sex reference (to urolagnia), and to reduce the explicitness of two scenes of sexual activity (one of self-fellatio and one of masturbation). When the completed version of the film was submitted, the aggressive use of very strong language had been redubbed, the crude verbal sex reference had been removed, and the strong scenes of sexual activity had been reduced, by a mixture of cutting and reframing. The film was therefore classified '15' without further cuts.

I'm a fan of the show and would have loved to have seen that 18 certificate version... the fact EIF has sought advice does not surprise me one bit but the fact so much was changed for the sake of money-making is shameful. I seriously hope an uncut version is released on DVD!

I hate to prejudge but that sounds like the biggest pile of shit this side of Da Ali G Movie.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 13154
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 15/8/2011 9:15:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Will Rodman is a scientist who is experimenting with a cure for Alzheimer's on apes.  Recent tests show amazing intelligence on one ape, but when said primate goes 'ape', all the animals are put down and the lab shut down.  However the trial ape had a baby, and Will takes it home to his family where it exhibits increased mental growth.  When Will tests the drug on his sick father, who names the ape Caeser, he becomes much better. However when an incident results in Caeser biting someone, he is shipped off to a primate 'sanctuary', where life is far tougher than he is used to. His intelligence, though, still grows…………

After Tim Burton's awful Planet of The Apes remake, there was only one way for the 'Apes' series to go and that was up.  This movie takes the basic premise of Conquest Of The  Planet Of The Apes – apes rising up against their human masters – and spins a very different story out of it.  The result is probably the best 'Apes' movie since the 1968 original and quite possible the best 'blockbuster' so far this year, though it's far from perfect.  The majority of the film is build up but the plotting is very good and the film moves at a swift pace, with scenes mostly short and to the point.  Caeser is quite simply the most convincing character ever created – I for one am very critical of CG effects, basically because I think they are lazy and often very poor, but in this movie they are superb.  You really think Caeser is there and because of that you empathise with him greatly, resulting in some extremely touching scenes which are genuinely touching but not overdone, but the other apes are all very well done too.  The action climax is terrific, with the sight of apes running riot probably the coolest spectacle seen on cinema screens so far this year, though the film then seems to suddenly stop and I could have done with a bit more simian rampaging.  James Franco isn't given any chance to display his character's moral dilemmas and Frieda Pinto just didn't need to be in the movie at all, in fact the human side of the story seems rushed, but it's the ape's show, and that works fine.  Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a blockbuster crafted with great care, scripted and directed so it results in maximum audience manipulation.  Roll on the sequel.8/10

Back to ye old style reviews,IE short and straight to the point,most excellent,and i'm bitting at the bit to see this one.Like yourself i was disappointed with Tim Burtons take on Planet Of The Apes,but this looks and sounds like a great Sci/Fi classic.Talking of which i watched on Blu Ray rental RANGO,(great fun for adults and kids)also this at the weekend;
Source Code (2011)
Jake Gyllenhaal is Colter Stevens, an Army helicopter pilot; Or at least he's convinced he is. After waking on a Chicago train unaware of his surroundings or Christina (Michelle Monaghan), a woman so eagerly talking to him, Colter discovers that everything is not as it seems. Following being referred to as Sean and a deep look into the bathroom mirror, Colter learns that his appearance and character on the outside is not the one he knows. 8 minutes later, the train explodes and Stevens finds himself in some kind of pod. He then talks to someone named Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) who tells him he has to go back and find out who the bomber is. He is sent back to go through the whole thing again and attempts to find who the bomber is but fails. The bomb goes off and Stevens finds himself in the pod again. He is sent back another time, yet still cannot find out anything. When he returns, he asks what is going on. Goodwin and (Jeffrey Wright)Rutledge, the scientist in charge, tell him that he is part of a project that can put someone in another person's consciousness during the last 8 minutes of their life??.

Source Code is the latest feature film from the Director of MOON,Duncan Jones and again he gives us a pure Sci/Fi film with heart worn on it's sleeve.There is a little more action than Moon,a few explosions and even some well used CGI.But like Moon this shows once again that his narrative can be told boldly without excessive explosions and unnecessary CGI,and is a breath of fresh air for any Sci/Fi fan.Think Déjà vu the wonderful movie by Tony Scott,with a bit of Nolan's Interception thrown in,it's got that sort of feel.Warning though,it like Moon moves at a very slow pace for the first half but go's up a gear towards the end.

All the main cast are superb with characters you can believe in,and they handle the 8 minute repeat well,each time you the viewer learns something new.Vera Farmiga who is the love interest will win the heart of the viewer,for her every day girl look and acting skill.Gyllenhaal though is the real star in this,especially the way he carries the plot forward extremely well,the puzzle-within-a puzzle,is he dreaming,what is real and what is not.Also the photography is great, steady camera-work makes all the scenes believable despite the science of the story being absurd, but that's what makes great Sci-fi so enjoyable.And this twist and turns till your head spins,with a great final twist in the tale,that for me reminded me of Terry Gillan's final twist in Twelve  Monkeys.You end up having to re-watch this if you don't pay very close attention,though the wife ended up even more confused,second time round.

If you enjoyed the likes of  the recent film Limitless,you will find Source Code is as good,for the same reason,it is smart, intriguing and original. Most thriller/Sci/Fi movies these days want to be super cool,loud,full of guns,CGI and sexy girls,with a story line a 2 year old could understand.This dares to be aimed at true Sci/Fi fans who want there head melted,while trying to work there way through the twists and turns of a well plotted story.So this is one of those films that only harden Sci/Fi fans will enjoy,well No,the Wife hates Sci/Fi but she likes thrillers,and she enjoyed it apart from getting the head melted,so it's a shame this didn't get a wider cinema release.But it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,so let's hope Duncan keeps on track,delivering films to feed the mind and excite the soul.7/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13155
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 16/8/2011 10:43:51 PM   
batcountry84

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was amazing. Really enjoyed it.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13156
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 10:02:06 AM   
losthighway

FUCKING AMAZING...!!! A MUST-SEE FOR ANYONE ON THIS THREAD. OVERALL: 4.5/5

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 13157
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 10:26:11 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I wanna see HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN. I trust it's better than the other film that was inspired by a GRINDHOUSE trailer....?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 13158
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 10:43:40 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Yeah, heard this myself....

Totally fuming about it!

Love The Inbetweeners but this has put me off going to see it now

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 13159
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 10:49:58 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Will Rodman is a scientist who is experimenting with a cure for Alzheimer's on apes.  Recent tests show amazing intelligence on one ape, but when said primate goes 'ape', all the animals are put down and the lab shut down.  However the trial ape had a baby, and Will takes it home to his family where it exhibits increased mental growth.  When Will tests the drug on his sick father, who names the ape Caeser, he becomes much better. However when an incident results in Caeser biting someone, he is shipped off to a primate 'sanctuary', where life is far tougher than he is used to. His intelligence, though, still grows…………

After Tim Burton's awful Planet of The Apes remake, there was only one way for the 'Apes' series to go and that was up.  This movie takes the basic premise of Conquest Of The  Planet Of The Apes – apes rising up against their human masters – and spins a very different story out of it.  The result is probably the best 'Apes' movie since the 1968 original and quite possible the best 'blockbuster' so far this year, though it's far from perfect.  The majority of the film is build up but the plotting is very good and the film moves at a swift pace, with scenes mostly short and to the point.  Caeser is quite simply the most convincing character ever created – I for one am very critical of CG effects, basically because I think they are lazy and often very poor, but in this movie they are superb.  You really think Caeser is there and because of that you empathise with him greatly, resulting in some extremely touching scenes which are genuinely touching but not overdone, but the other apes are all very well done too.  The action climax is terrific, with the sight of apes running riot probably the coolest spectacle seen on cinema screens so far this year, though the film then seems to suddenly stop and I could have done with a bit more simian rampaging.  James Franco isn't given any chance to display his character's moral dilemmas and Frieda Pinto just didn't need to be in the movie at all, in fact the human side of the story seems rushed, but it's the ape's show, and that works fine.  Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a blockbuster crafted with great care, scripted and directed so it results in maximum audience manipulation.  Roll on the sequel.8/10

Back to ye old style reviews,IE short and straight to the point,most excellent,and i'm bitting at the bit to see this one.Like yourself i was disappointed with Tim Burtons take on Planet Of The Apes,but this looks and sounds like a great Sci/Fi classic.Talking of which i watched on Blu Ray rental RANGO,(great fun for adults and kids)also this at the weekend;
Source Code (2011)
Jake Gyllenhaal is Colter Stevens, an Army helicopter pilot; Or at least he's convinced he is. After waking on a Chicago train unaware of his surroundings or Christina (Michelle Monaghan), a woman so eagerly talking to him, Colter discovers that everything is not as it seems. Following being referred to as Sean and a deep look into the bathroom mirror, Colter learns that his appearance and character on the outside is not the one he knows. 8 minutes later, the train explodes and Stevens finds himself in some kind of pod. He then talks to someone named Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) who tells him he has to go back and find out who the bomber is. He is sent back to go through the whole thing again and attempts to find who the bomber is but fails. The bomb goes off and Stevens finds himself in the pod again. He is sent back another time, yet still cannot find out anything. When he returns, he asks what is going on. Goodwin and (Jeffrey Wright)Rutledge, the scientist in charge, tell him that he is part of a project that can put someone in another person's consciousness during the last 8 minutes of their life??.

Source Code is the latest feature film from the Director of MOON,Duncan Jones and again he gives us a pure Sci/Fi film with heart worn on it's sleeve.There is a little more action than Moon,a few explosions and even some well used CGI.But like Moon this shows once again that his narrative can be told boldly without excessive explosions and unnecessary CGI,and is a breath of fresh air for any Sci/Fi fan.Think Déjà vu the wonderful movie by Tony Scott,with a bit of Nolan's Interception thrown in,it's got that sort of feel.Warning though,it like Moon moves at a very slow pace for the first half but go's up a gear towards the end.

All the main cast are superb with characters you can believe in,and they handle the 8 minute repeat well,each time you the viewer learns something new.Vera Farmiga who is the love interest will win the heart of the viewer,for her every day girl look and acting skill.Gyllenhaal though is the real star in this,especially the way he carries the plot forward extremely well,the puzzle-within-a puzzle,is he dreaming,what is real and what is not.Also the photography is great, steady camera-work makes all the scenes believable despite the science of the story being absurd, but that's what makes great Sci-fi so enjoyable.And this twist and turns till your head spins,with a great final twist in the tale,that for me reminded me of Terry Gillan's final twist in Twelve  Monkeys.You end up having to re-watch this if you don't pay very close attention,though the wife ended up even more confused,second time round.

If you enjoyed the likes of  the recent film Limitless,you will find Source Code is as good,for the same reason,it is smart, intriguing and original. Most thriller/Sci/Fi movies these days want to be super cool,loud,full of guns,CGI and sexy girls,with a story line a 2 year old could understand.This dares to be aimed at true Sci/Fi fans who want there head melted,while trying to work there way through the twists and turns of a well plotted story.So this is one of those films that only harden Sci/Fi fans will enjoy,well No,the Wife hates Sci/Fi but she likes thrillers,and she enjoyed it apart from getting the head melted,so it's a shame this didn't get a wider cinema release.But it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,so let's hope Duncan keeps on track,delivering films to feed the mind and excite the soul.7/10

Agree with all you say though I think I gave it an 8, was really impressed with it, though wasn't sure about the final scene, it felt added to me. Never seen Deja Vu, is it as good as this, you reckon?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13160
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 12:26:06 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I wanna see HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN. I trust it's better than the other film that was inspired by a GRINDHOUSE trailer....?

HR is gonna have a field day when I say this but i'm gonna say it anyway... HOBO is the kind of film i think Zombie has been wanting to make but never quite managed it! As much as I love Zombie (i really do), the attention to detail, script and overall homage quality of this film is amazing. Think STREET TRASH and SAVAGE STREETS for influences... plus the synth soundtrack and over-saturated colour pallate are absolutely brilliant! The gun-upgrading scene is short and sweet but without a doubt my fave scene. I hired this one but tbh i'll be buying it as soon as it drops to around a fiver. I want it in my collection!

quote:

Yeah, heard this myself....

Totally fuming about it!

Love The Inbetweeners but this has put me off going to see it now

I'll still watch it at the cinema but i really hope an uncut 18 DVD release is on the way... the cash-grabbing sentiment of the cuts has genuinely annoyed/disappointed me though!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13161
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 12:35:33 PM   
losthighway

INBETWEENERS MOVIE REVIEW... http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/the-inbetweeners-movie/5030925.article

HR I may be joining you down the pub instead... how the fuck can they justify ONE use of the word 'clunge'!!?? It's a staple of the show.

Also worth mentioning TOTAL FILM have their FRIGHT NIGHT review up online... only gets 3 stars. Basically says it's a bit serviceable and pedestrian, i.e. shit!!

Post #: 13162
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 2:56:18 PM   
losthighway

FUCKING DIRE!!! One of the worst films I have watched in a long time. It was 105mins of complete nonsense and to make things worse the BBFC gave this film a '12'... sorry to sound like The Hate Mail but seriously how the hell did this warrant such a low certificate!!?? Avoid... Overall: 1/5

Post #: 13163
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 3:13:58 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

INBETWEENERS MOVIE REVIEW... http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/the-inbetweeners-movie/5030925.article

HR I may be joining you down the pub instead... how the fuck can they justify ONE use of the word 'clunge'!!?? It's a staple of the show.

Also worth mentioning TOTAL FILM have their FRIGHT NIGHT review up online... only gets 3 stars. Basically says it's a bit serviceable and pedestrian, i.e. shit!!

To be fair to that review LH, it does give it a good write up!

As for Fright Night, well the original is one of my fav horrors of all time, and no matter what, the re-make will not touch the magic of that film....

It is one of only a few remakes though that has got my attention, what will the casting of Colin and the good Doctor!

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 13164
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 6:00:49 PM   
evil bill

quote:

FUCKING AMAZING...!!! A MUST-SEE FOR ANYONE ON THIS THREAD. OVERALL: 4.5/5
HR is gonna have a field day when I say this but i'm gonna say it anyway... HOBO is the kind of film i think Zombie has been wanting to make but never quite managed it! As much as I love Zombie (i really do), the attention to detail, script and overall homage quality of this film is amazing. Think STREET TRASH and SAVAGE STREETS for influences... plus the synth soundtrack and over-saturated colour pallate are absolutely brilliant! The gun-upgrading scene is short and sweet but without a doubt my fave scene. I hired this one but tbh i'll be buying it as soon as it drops to around a fiver. I want it in my collection!

HA!HA! i knew this one would float your boat,and you gave it near enough top marks,it's been a while for you to score a film this high.
And agree Zombie could have made this,but i don't think the dark humour would have worked as well,his films tend to be even more brutal.
I thought the Scott's where tight but you my friend are going to wait as long as it takes to get a film as good as this for a fiver.

Post #: 13165
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 7:04:56 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Source Code (2011)
But it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,so let's hope Duncan keeps on track,delivering films to feed the mind and excite the soul.7/10

Agree with all you say though I think I gave it an 8, was really impressed with it, though wasn't sure about the final scene, it felt added to me. Never seen Deja Vu, is it as good as this, you reckon?

Tony Scott's film Deja Vu is very good,a real odd thriller/time travel film that works on both fields really well,here's my old review.
Deja Vu (2006)

After a ferry bombing that kills hundreds in New Orleans,maverick ATF agent Doug Carlin (Denzel Washington) is brought in on a top-secret government program to catch the terrorist responsible.He is able to do what most law enforcement officers can only dream of, Carlin is now able to look back in time at the perpetrator's movements.Carlin's instincts tell him that something is amiss, however, and while the government agent who tapped him for the job (Val Kilmer) and the team of ultra-cool scientists who run the project (Adam Goldberg, Erika Alexander) tell him one story about the quantum physics behind this marvel of technology, the agent suspects that there is a greater power at their fingertips?

Director Tony Scott teams with iconic action producer Jerry Bruckheimer for this sci-fi/action thriller with brains,and while this isn't as inventive as Man On Fire it is as sleek and well paced as Enemy of the State.The time machine element of the movie is the key to some great visuals,and Tony wrenches suspense and tension from every scene,never letting you get time to pick holes in the script.This is a typical Tony Scott,with plenty of fast paced action,pop video style jump-cuts, grain, colour filters,fast cuts,and camera angles swiveling at every turn.Though he is very much overshadowed by brother Ridley Scott with his more serious, Oscar-winning epics, Tony has been pumping out some of the most entertaining thrillers/action films this past few decades.

Once again we have Tony's semi-regular star Denzel Washington,and yet again we get a soild  performance from one of the best actors of his generation.Not as good as in Man On Fire but still steals every scene he appears in,even thogh Val Kilmer comes a close second along with Jim Cavizel.All in all the cast are great,and the script is pretty decent,though there are some holes that can be off putting,but with the pace set at high you don't get time on first viewing to spot the holes.And this film like its protagonist,will get you wanting to see it more than once to appreciate how everything fits together,which earns Deja Vu the status of a classic Tony Scott Film.

This is a real joy to watch,and has all the twist and turns of any good thriller,but it's the Time Travel element that had me from start to finish.While some will point out that the plot is hard to swallow,well first it is a Sci/Fi film,and second it's sheer high brow entertainment.Plus great cinematography,awesome editing,excellent well used effects,never taking centre stage to the actors,and one hell of an opening scene,as we see the Ferry explode.Also loved the dead damsel in distress plot twist,where Densil discovers that a young woman was murdered before the blast because she saw something,maybe the killer himself?All in a great nights entertainment on Blu-Ray or DVD,just a shame i did not get to see this on the big screen.8/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 17/8/2011 7:07:06 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13166
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 7:18:29 PM   
Snake-Eyes

DEJA VU - Solid Tony Scott Thriller, my second favourite Scott/Washington team-up after MAN ON FIRE

SUCKER PUNCH - Uuuurrgghhh....

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - I was wondering if it was better (or worse) than MACHETE which I've not seen but have heard generally bad stuff.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 17/8/2011 7:19:08 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13167
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 7:24:21 PM   
DazDaMan

Deja Vu is a pretty fucking good movie. Great review.

Snake - Machete is daft fun, if nothing else. Think Ninja Assassin, but with Danny Trejo. And a machete.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13168
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 7:26:16 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

DEJA VU - Solid Tony Scott Thriller, my second favourite Scott/Washington team-up after MAN ON FIRE

SUCKER PUNCH - Uuuurrgghhh....

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - I was wondering if it was better (or worse) than MACHETE which I've not seen but have heard generally bad stuff.

I did a review of Hobo not so long ago,and i'd say it far better than MACHETE,though i did also enjoy it.Both have plenty of violent gore,and action,plus grat actors who always deliver,but for story i'd go for HOBO.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13169
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 17/8/2011 7:43:38 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Cheers Daz, Cheers bill. I'll probably order both MACHETE and HOBO along with the complete GRINDHOUSE set.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13170
Page:   <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI