Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/7/2011 7:55:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

There is a lot in Conan The Barbarian which is extremely praise-worthy and I think critics tended to miss many of the film's strong points because of the genre it belongs to.  Passionate, convincing and uncompromising, if just a bit more action was added I reckon it would be almost perfect of its type.  Although I'm usually very dubious about all these remakes, I'm actually rather looking forward to the new movie, for a start it seems that Conan is more like Howard's creation.  Will it be as good a film though? I somehow doubt it!
8/10

Hell of a review for a awesome cult classic from the wonderful 80's,and one i will buy on Blu-Ray as the DVD i have is a bit shit to be honest.Looking forward to the remake but like you i know it will never be like the original,and as for Beastmaster ,well it was shit.The Sword And The Sorcerer 1982  now that was another classic,i just loved this one to bits,full of sex and violence,a real adult fantasy film.

Thanks and you right about Sword And The Sorcerer, still have that one on video, think I'll order that asap and do a review.  Conan The Destroyer coming soon too!

Looking forward to The Destroyer review,i'm a big fan of this one too,though it is the weaker follow up,but still fun.As for The Sword And The Sorcerer,i hope to get this on Blu-Ray,that's if it gets a release on this in full 1080P HD/DTS.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13111
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 28/7/2011 8:46:07 PM   
evil bill

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
A train rolls into its final stop,out of one of the freight cars jumps a weary-eyed transient with dreams of a fresh start in a new town. Instead, he lands right in the middle of an urban hellhole, a place where the cops are as crooked as the gangsters.An urban landscape filled with armed robbers, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa,and where the underprivileged masses are treated like shit.A city where crime reigns supreme, and the man pulling the strings is known only as "The Drake." Along with his two cold-blooded and sadistic sons, Ivan and Slick, he rules with an iron fist, and nobody dares fuck with The Drake.Until Now.

Director Jason Eisener's blood-soaked debut feature film,is ailmed at fans of the over the top gore fests of the late 70's early 80's.The film is simultaneously original and a perfect throwback to these blood-splattered movies,yet it also ups the ante in a major way.And it also has Rutger Hauer's who just steals the film in what is his best appearance in a film since The Hitcher,in a display of brutal ass-kicking and name-taking that is not to be missed.

It never lets up from start to finish,never giving you time to poke holes in the script,or in the acting,that is pretty ham/tounge in cheak.Like Brian Downey,Gregory Smith,and Nick Bateman as the Father and son's who rule the streets,and are great bad guys,and seem to enjoy every second of screen time.Or the stunning Molly Dunsworth as a prostitute named Abby is great fun too as a nut set for total destruction.Like the acting the whole film is just clean over the top mayhem,with full on gore and violence,which is at times so insane you wonder if it might have gone to far.But it's meant to be this way,this is what us fans of Grindhouse revenge flicks love to see,and if that is yopur cup of bloody madness,this hits the mark.7/10

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13112
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/7/2011 6:08:00 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Here are the extras for Arrow's new Special Edition of Maniac Cop:

- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by author Troy Howarth and The Original Maniac: An interview with William Lustig, adapted from Calum Waddell's book Taboo Breakers
- Brand new High Definition transfer of film film
- Exclusive UK introduction to the film from star Tom Atkins
- Doomed Detective: Tom Atkins on Maniac Cop
- Lady of the Night: Laurene Landon remembers Maniac Cop
- Scripting a new Slasher Super-Villain: Larry Cohen on Matt Cordell
- Trailer

Arrow will also release Erik the Viking on DVD on 10th October. Here are the special features and artwork:

- The Director’s Son’s Cut: Professional Editor and Terry Jones’ son Bill Jones’ cut of Erik the Viking, an edit of the film supervised by the director representing his original vision of the film
- Audio commentary with director Terry Jones
- Interview with Terry and Bill Jones
- Photo Gallery
- Original UK theatrical cut of the film
- The Making of Erik the Viking
- The Evolution of a Director
- The Casting of a Comedy Adventure
- The Special Effects of Erik the Viking
- Making Move Magic on Malta
- Jones and Cleese “A Grand Reunion”
- Creating the Look
- Interviews with stars John Cleese, Charles McKeown and Danny Schiller and star and director Terry Jones

Finally, ArrowDrome will release The Devil's Kiss on DVD on 17th October. Special features are a trailer reel and a booklet by author Stephen Thrower.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13113
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/7/2011 7:15:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Here are the extras for Arrow's new Special Edition of Maniac Cop:

- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by author Troy Howarth and The Original Maniac: An interview with William Lustig, adapted from Calum Waddell's book Taboo Breakers
- Brand new High Definition transfer of film film
- Exclusive UK introduction to the film from star Tom Atkins
- Doomed Detective: Tom Atkins on Maniac Cop
- Lady of the Night: Laurene Landon remembers Maniac Cop
- Scripting a new Slasher Super-Villain: Larry Cohen on Matt Cordell
- Trailer

Arrow will also release Erik the Viking on DVD on 10th October. Here are the special features and artwork:

- The Director's Son's Cut: Professional Editor and Terry Jones' son Bill Jones' cut of Erik the Viking, an edit of the film supervised by the director representing his original vision of the film
- Interview with Terry and Bill Jones
- Photo Gallery
- Original UK theatrical cut of the film
- The Making of Erik the Viking
- The Evolution of a Director
- The Casting of a Comedy Adventure
- The Special Effects of Erik the Viking
- Making Move Magic on Malta
- Jones and Cleese "A Grand Reunion”
- Creating the Look
- Interviews with stars John Cleese, Charles McKeown and Danny Schiller and star and director Terry Jones

Finally, ArrowDrome will release The Devil's Kiss on DVD on 17th October. Special features are a trailer reel and a booklet by author Stephen Thrower.

Looking Awesome as we now have come to expect,are you sure you don't work for there PR dept.
Now for some good news for Virgin Media TV customers,the movie we have been waiting for is now on FilmFlex.And i have Virgin so tonight this is one of my Friday night movies,so expect a review Monday,as the weekend is my wipeout time.

Might not be Argento at his best but it's still Directed by the master.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 29/7/2011 7:19:20 PM >

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13114
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/7/2011 7:28:28 PM   
evil bill

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dr Lenera

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13115
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/7/2011 7:53:21 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

Looking Awesome as we now have come to expect,are you sure you don't work for there PR dept.

I wish! No, I just get my info through meetings in alleys at night, all very hush-hush !

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13116
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/7/2011 4:54:46 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: fernetcontonica

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

WTF Walking Dead was great!

I was let quite a bit down by The Walking Dead. I just couldn't really keep an interest on it with its scalation of American style drama dulling the whole thing down.

Little Deaths is an antology of three horror tales by different British directors. Its common axis is sex and horror and all around it is quite fine. The fisrt Story, "House and Home", shows us a posh couple with some creepy habits you're faced to progresively. Its build up is very good but when things change, they do it quite a bit too suddenly. The second, "Mutant Tool" is quite a fucked up story about some kind of drug distilled in quite an horrific way and the addict prostitute who end up acting as a guinea pig. It is a bit confusing but that even fits well at some moments in the insane mood. the last one, "Bitch", is the cleanest of all three and revolves around a couple with quite an unhealthy and horny relationship and how things end up going wrong. All around each of the stories has things to like as well as low points.The array of fucked up characters and its strangeness worked well for me and even when I have my complaints I feel they have more the "hope these guys keep up working" mood than the "this is shit" one. 7?/10

I've been waiting AGES for Little Deaths, its finally out in two weeks but its good to hear it more than lives up to its promise

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 13117
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/7/2011 4:58:18 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
A train rolls into its final stop,out of one of the freight cars jumps a weary-eyed transient with dreams of a fresh start in a new town. Instead, he lands right in the middle of an urban hellhole, a place where the cops are as crooked as the gangsters.An urban landscape filled with armed robbers, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa,and where the underprivileged masses are treated like shit.A city where crime reigns supreme, and the man pulling the strings is known only as "The Drake." Along with his two cold-blooded and sadistic sons, Ivan and Slick, he rules with an iron fist, and nobody dares fuck with The Drake.Until Now.

Director Jason Eisener's blood-soaked debut feature film,is ailmed at fans of the over the top gore fests of the late 70's early 80's.The film is simultaneously original and a perfect throwback to these blood-splattered movies,yet it also ups the ante in a major way.And it also has Rutger Hauer's who just steals the film in what is his best appearance in a film since The Hitcher,in a display of brutal ass-kicking and name-taking that is not to be missed.

It never lets up from start to finish,never giving you time to poke holes in the script,or in the acting,that is pretty ham/tounge in cheak.Like Brian Downey,Gregory Smith,and Nick Bateman as the Father and son's who rule the streets,and are great bad guys,and seem to enjoy every second of screen time.Or the stunning Molly Dunsworth as a prostitute named Abby is great fun too as a nut set for total destruction.Like the acting the whole film is just clean over the top mayhem,with full on gore and violence,which is at times so insane you wonder if it might have gone to far.But it's meant to be this way,this is what us fans of Grindhouse revenge flicks love to see,and if that is yopur cup of bloody madness,this hits the mark.7/10

Nice review mate, I absolutely loved this one! I am sure you read my thoughts a few months back after I saw it. Superb stuff

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13118
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/7/2011 5:42:48 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011

Nice review mate, I absolutely loved this one! I am sure you read my thoughts a few months back after I saw it. Superb stuff

I so wanted to see this grindhouse flick, specifically because apart from Hauer, there are no big name actors in it. Therefore no big actors (Robert DeNiro) doing their nod and wink scenes. However none of the cinema chains in my area would take a risk on it. I think it's the first 18 rated film I've seen advertised at the cinema for ages.

I love this poster. Isn't it awesome?

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 31/7/2011 5:48:15 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 13119
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 31/7/2011 5:45:49 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE
They may take our website but they'll never take our FREED.......you know the rest.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU SCOTTISH MAD MAN

Where do you keep nabbin my family photiez, mate? Cheers.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13120
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/8/2011 7:58:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
7/10

Yes i remember your long review,that's another reason i kept this short,and could not believe it when it turned up at a cinema near me.And just like a bus,none turn up for so long then two arrive in the same week,IE this one and then out of the video store;
DRIVE ANGRY

John Milton(Nicolas Cage) is up against the clock,as Jonah King(Billy Burke), the leader of a Satanic cult, has murdered Milton's daughter and kidnapped her baby. In three days, King and his followers will sacrifice the child at midnight. Milton picks up the trail in Oklahoma as well as rescuing a waitress named Piper(Amber Heard) from her brutal, two-timing fiancé. There are odd things about Milton: his driver's license is out of date, he has a very strange gun, and he's being pursued by a man in a suit who carries FBI ID and calls himself the Accountant(William Fichtner). Piper, who's lived a life on the sidelines, has to piece things together on the fly as they close in on King.

This film is really a decent Grindhouse throwback to the old 70's revenge movies,but no cult classic.A fun entertaining thrill ride,with cheesy dialogue,over the top violence,nudity and gore and a few funny moment. Nicholas Cage gives another fine unhinged performance,which he is so good at,and delivering some good one liners.Then there's Amber Heard as the very sexy sidekick,who can kick ass to,when she's not giving us an eyefull,and some think Megan Fox is hot,well get an eye full of Amber,she is HOT!!!!!!!!The bad guy Billy Burke is so badass ham,you just know these guys have had a lot of fun with there roles,but none of them come close to William Fichtner the best performance of the entire film as the accountant.William has the best lines,in a film where the script has no surprises and in the wrong hands would be unbearable.

The movie is directed by Patrick Lussier(My Bloody Valentine Remake)who is now doing Halloween III,now going by this one a i feel he just has not the right amount of talent for to save Halloween franchise.Yes he did a decent job with My Bloody Valentine 3D,and with this again a decent job,of what is one of most ridiculous and absurd action films of the year.But for a fan of Grindhouse like me i just love all the sex,violence,muscle cars and gore,a real over the top beer movie,that knows it's weakness is the script,but who cares when it's got all these key factors,which is why this movie is so enjoyable.

Right from its gory and explosion-filled opening, you get one ridiculous set piece after another the next,and some comparison to Grindhouse,more specifically, Death Proof,is to be expected.The car chase is similar but unlike Death Proof,they use CGI which looked a bit naff,though for the most part it's not used to often,you can tell this was aimed at the 3D market,which is for me a waste of time and energy. Don't expect to much,as i said story wise,and you can forgive some of the effects as this film moves along at high speed,giving you very little time to catch a breath.No cult classic but a great fun ride,that could have been a match for Hobo With A shotgun,but falls just short so 6/10.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 1/8/2011 8:20:04 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 13121
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/8/2011 11:09:17 AM   
NCC1701A

Enjoyed Drive Angry a lot but the film could of done with more of William Fichtner as the accountant he was good.Yes Amber Heard was hot and pretty good in her role. While Billy Burke reminded me of Neil Diamond. and Nicholas Cage was better then he has been in a while.

4/5.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13122
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 2/8/2011 11:54:16 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Drive Anfry should've been right up my street but it just didnt do anything for me. It felt like it was trying waaaaaaaaay too hard. i actually dont find Amber heard attractive either.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 13123
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 10:13:44 AM   
losthighway

I don't think much to Amber Heard either tbh, however Bradley Cooper was on Alan carr last night and still it remains that he's not asked the most important question... What's the skinny on THE CROW remake, is he really considering playing Eric Draven!?

Plus, got LIMITLESS and SUPER recorded on SKY Box Office. Gonna watch them both today.

Going to see SUPER 8 this Friday and just been considering subscribing to Empire again for another year... 12 month subscription plus Dead Island for the 360 for £40! Only prob, I got tired of Empire (the mag) and have since found a better offer with Total Film and DVD/Blu Ray Review together for £5.99!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 13124
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 9:03:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

Enjoyed Drive Angry a lot but the film could of done with more of William Fichtner as the accountant he was good.Yes Amber Heard was hot and pretty good in her role. While Billy Burke reminded me of Neil Diamond. and Nicholas Cage was better then he has been in a while.

4/5.

I agree they could of done with more of William Fichtner,but still a fun ride of a film.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 13125
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 9:04:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I don't think much to Amber Heard either tbh, however Bradley Cooper was on Alan carr last night and still it remains that he's not asked the most important question... What's the skinny on THE CROW remake, is he really considering playing Eric Draven!?

Plus, got LIMITLESS and SUPER recorded on SKY Box Office. Gonna watch them both today.

Going to see SUPER 8 this Friday and just been considering subscribing to Empire again for another year... 12 month subscription plus Dead Island for the 360 for £40! Only prob, I got tired of Empire (the mag) and have since found a better offer with Total Film and DVD/Blu Ray Review together for £5.99!

Yes whats happened to the much talked about CROW remake.
I get Total Film too.
The Argento review is now up on his thread for this fun film.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13126
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 9:22:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
7/10

Yes i remember your long review,that's another reason i kept this short,and could not believe it when it turned up at a cinema near me.And just like a bus,none turn up for so long then two arrive in the same week,IE this one and then out of the video store;
DRIVE ANGRY

John Milton(Nicolas Cage) is up against the clock,as Jonah King(Billy Burke), the leader of a Satanic cult, has murdered Milton's daughter and kidnapped her baby. In three days, King and his followers will sacrifice the child at midnight. Milton picks up the trail in Oklahoma as well as rescuing a waitress named Piper(Amber Heard) from her brutal, two-timing fiancé. There are odd things about Milton: his driver's license is out of date, he has a very strange gun, and he's being pursued by a man in a suit who carries FBI ID and calls himself the Accountant(William Fichtner). Piper, who's lived a life on the sidelines, has to piece things together on the fly as they close in on King.

This film is really a decent Grindhouse throwback to the old 70's revenge movies,but no cult classic.A fun entertaining thrill ride,with cheesy dialogue,over the top violence,nudity and gore and a few funny moment. Nicholas Cage gives another fine unhinged performance,which he is so good at,and delivering some good one liners.Then there's Amber Heard as the very sexy sidekick,who can kick ass to,when she's not giving us an eyefull,and some think Megan Fox is hot,well get an eye full of Amber,she is HOT!!!!!!!!The bad guy Billy Burke is so badass ham,you just know these guys have had a lot of fun with there roles,but none of them come close to William Fichtner the best performance of the entire film as the accountant.William has the best lines,in a film where the script has no surprises and in the wrong hands would be unbearable.

The movie is directed by Patrick Lussier(My Bloody Valentine Remake)who is now doing Halloween III,now going by this one a i feel he just has not the right amount of talent for to save Halloween franchise.Yes he did a decent job with My Bloody Valentine 3D,and with this again a decent job,of what is one of most ridiculous and absurd action films of the year.But for a fan of Grindhouse like me i just love all the sex,violence,muscle cars and gore,a real over the top beer movie,that knows it's weakness is the script,but who cares when it's got all these key factors,which is why this movie is so enjoyable.

Right from its gory and explosion-filled opening, you get one ridiculous set piece after another the next,and some comparison to Grindhouse,more specifically, Death Proof,is to be expected.The car chase is similar but unlike Death Proof,they use CGI which looked a bit naff,though for the most part it's not used to often,you can tell this was aimed at the 3D market,which is for me a waste of time and energy. Don't expect to much,as i said story wise,and you can forgive some of the effects as this film moves along at high speed,giving you very little time to catch a breath.No cult classic but a great fun ride,that could have been a match for Hobo With A shotgun,but falls just short so 6/10.

Cheers for the birthday wishes and I would agree with your score for this movie, fun but it was just lacking.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13127
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 9:24:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

is Hobo with a Shotgun worth a blind buy? I loved machete, liked Planet terror and HATED Death proof.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13128
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 9:50:02 PM   
mackey

quote:

is Hobo with a Shotgun worth a blind buy? I loved machete, liked Planet terror and HATED Death proof.

Bought it blind and watched it yesterday. Agreeably gory & violent in places but not as good as Planet Terror or Machete.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

Post #: 13129
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 10:29:08 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

You should like it DK.....there are some real twisted moments in it that better Machete, and it has Rutger in it

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 13130
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 3/8/2011 11:19:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

cheers, i'll pick it up then!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13131
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/8/2011 11:54:40 AM   
losthighway

quote:

Ha ha... I was about to ask the exact same question, however i'm the other way around. Found Planet Terror rather poor but loved Death Proof and Machete. Looks like i might have to blind buy it too whilst out at shops today.

***SPOILER*** I watched Limitless last night. It was good with some interesting actors popping up (Anna Friel!) but there was one glaring plot hole that would surely have ruined the rest of the narrative... If the other multi-millionaire never signed the deal how could the protaganist have afforded the $8.5m flat because that $40m he was promised following the signing would never have materialised! Just a thought! Worth a rent. Overall: 3/5

< Message edited by losthighway -- 4/8/2011 11:55:26 AM >

Post #: 13132
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/8/2011 6:34:42 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Ha ha... I was about to ask the exact same question, however i'm the other way around. Found Planet Terror rather poor but loved Death Proof and Machete. Looks like i might have to blind buy it too whilst out at shops today.

***SPOILER*** I watched Limitless last night. It was good with some interesting actors popping up (Anna Friel!) but there was one glaring plot hole that would surely have ruined the rest of the narrative... If the other multi-millionaire never signed the deal how could the protaganist have afforded the $8.5m flat because that $40m he was promised following the signing would never have materialised! Just a thought! Worth a rent. Overall: 3/5

I think you might just enjoy Drive Angry it reminded me of Death Proof ,though Death Proof is the better movie,and like you i rate it above Planet Terror.Saying that HOBO WITH A SHOT GUN is excellent worth the money,and again for those with Virgn Media TV,it's on FilmFlex along with John Carpenters The Ward.

quote:

Dr Lenera

DRIVE ANGRY

Don't expect to much,as i said story wise,and you can forgive some of the effects as this film moves along at high speed,giving you very little time to catch a breath.No cult classic but a great fun ride,that could have been a match for Hobo With A shotgun,but falls just short so 6/10.

Cheers for the birthday wishes and I would agree with your score for this movie, fun but it was just lacking.

Could have been a cult classic with it's cast,but let down by lacklustre script,and direction,but great fun for a beer movie.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13133
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/8/2011 7:05:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

Conan and his companion, a thief called Malek, are attacked by some soldiers.   After a fight, they are brought before Queen Taramis, who promises the revival of Conan's dead love Valeria, if Conan will undertake a mission for her.  Conan is to steal a diamond from a wizard called Thoth-Amon, then use it to obtain a magic horn which has the power to bring a god called Dagoth to life.  Accompanied by Malak, Jehnna the Queen's niece and Bombaatta a soldier, they set off. First of all they rescue Akiro an old comrade of Conan's, then free Zula a warrior woman who also joins them.  However, Thoth-Amon knows of their approach…………..

I'm going to admit something.  When I was much younger, I much preferred Conan The Destroyer to Conan The Barbarian. Destroyer was the first of the two movies I saw, and after loving it I was disappointed by Barbarian's slower pace and heavier feel.   Of course I eventually saw the light and realised that Barbarian is easily the better movie, but Destroyer remains a much underrated sequel that is certainly no travesty, it's just rather different to Barbarian, being much more of a straight forward fantasy adventure with lots of action.  On that level the movie succeeds fairly well.  Although Barbarian had been a big commercial success, Oliver Stone had no interest in writing a sequel and John Milius was unable to direct, so their serious, epic approach went somewhat out the window with them.  Stanley Mann wrote a script based on a treatment by two comic book writers Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, who borrowed a few bits and pieces from Robert E.Howard's stories, and old veteran Richard Fleischer came on to direct.  Arnold Schwarzenegger put on an extra ten pounds for this sequel, which was partially filmed on the same Mexican locations as Dune.  After it was completed though it underwent much re-editing, with producer Raffaela De Laurentiis decided that the film would make even more money than the first one if it was more suitable for children.  The violence was drastically toned down and several scenes including one showing Conan having sex with Taramis were removed, but the gambit didn't pay off, for the movie only did good [rather than very good] business in the US.  Its' strong performance overseas though ensured that a third movie was planned, to be called Conan The Conqueror, but nothing came of it except the fact that it's script wound up as the basis for Kull The Conqueror.

After an opening battle, Destroyer wastes little time in setting up its quest and sending Conan and company off on it.  Immediately this is a far faster paced movie, with no more than five minutes seeming to pass before the next bit of action, but if anything it's too fast paced.  All the places that Conan and his companions reach are reached so quickly that they give the impression of just being around the corner, and there's no sense of travel.  Still, there's almost constant fighting with Conan battling various comers, though this is not nearly so well staged as Barbarian's action despite lots of shots of Conan twirling his sword.  The battle with Thoth-Amon, [played by Pat Roach, best known for slugging it out with Harrison Ford in the first two Indiana Jones movies] who turns into an ape-like demon, is nicely staged in a hall of mirrors though, with composer Basil Poledouris expertly scoring each stage of the brawl, from mystery to peril to victory.  The build up to the climax is well managed too.  When he comes to life, even though he looks nothing like his statue, Dagoth is a memorable monstrosity from the mind of Carlo Rambaldi and helps make for an exciting end set piece which almost turns the film into a horror movie, though Conan's companions seem to just stand around and let Conan do most of the work!   I will say that there is still a fair bit of brutality, from staffs smashing in faces to head being lopped off, but it's certainly not on Barbarian's level and it's obvious that some of the fight scenes are missing bits and pieces.  In one battle somebody suddenly appears to have had his ear bitten off, but we don't see it!

The script is reasonable in terms of its story but softens the character of Conan into a muscular do-gooder and makes several mistakes, such as building up Bombaata as a great opponent for Conan but having their climactic fight being one of the shortest fights in the film.  There are also some stupid bits, for instance when Malak spots the camel Conan punched down in the previous film, despite the fact he wasn't even there.  The screenplay feels really rushed in places and not all the supposed humour works, such as a really badly written bit when Jehnna asks about sex.  Malak gets a little annoying with his cowardly comments, but what irritates me most in this movie is that the 'Wizard' played by Mako now suddenly has a name, Akiro, and he's found ridiculously easily.  His brief duel with another wizard, as they open and shut a giant stone mouth, provides a laugh or too though, and there's a nice scene with a drunken Conan, or rather a scene that would have been nice if Arnie had been able to pull it off.  Special effects are fine for 1984 and there are some impressive sets, especially for the ice palace, which looks both sinister and rather beautiful.   The film was photographed lushly by the great Jack Cardiff though it's obvious though that director Richard Fleischer, the maker of classics like The Vikings and 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, just saw the film as a job and his direction has little of the style and conviction of Milius's.  He does keep the pace moving though.  Destroyer may be full of flaws, but it is never boring, and that's certainly worth something!  It's also a little closer to Howard in tone and style.

Arnie was probably at the peak of his physicality in this movie though his acting is actually weaker here than in Barbarian [even though he's required to do less].  Sarah Douglas as Taramis and the frankly terrifying Grace Jones as Zula make strong impressions though do not really do enough.  Basil Poledouris provides another strong score, with a rip-roaring main theme, though he's a little too fond of using slightly re-orchestrated cues from the proceeding film and the music suffers from being poorly played and by a much smaller orchestra.  I've been quite hard on Conan The Destroyer in this review, and I must emphasise that is a highly enjoyable sword and sorcery movie that, if you're just after switch-your-brain-off entertainment with a few beers, is possibly more fun than the original movie. In terms of quality, though, Barbarian totally nails Destroyer, and it is images and scenes from the former that you'll remember long after you've forgotten most of the latter.
7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13134
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/8/2011 5:38:04 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Conan and his companion, a thief called Malek, are attacked by some soldiers.   After a fight, they are brought before Queen Taramis, who promises the revival of Conan's dead love Valeria, if Conan will undertake a mission for her.  Conan is to steal a diamond from a wizard called Thoth-Amon, then use it to obtain a magic horn which has the power to bring a god called Dagoth to life.  Accompanied by Malak, Jehnna the Queen's niece and Bombaatta a soldier, they set off. First of all they rescue Akiro an old comrade of Conan's, then free Zula a warrior woman who also joins them.  However, Thoth-Amon knows of their approach…………..

I'm going to admit something.  When I was much younger, I much preferred Conan The Destroyer to Conan The Barbarian. Destroyer was the first of the two movies I saw, and after loving it I was disappointed by Barbarian's slower pace and heavier feel.   Of course I eventually saw the light and realised that Barbarian is easily the better movie, but Destroyer remains a much underrated sequel that is certainly no travesty, it's just rather different to Barbarian, being much more of a straight forward fantasy adventure with lots of action.  On that level the movie succeeds fairly well.  Although Barbarian had been a big commercial success, Oliver Stone had no interest in writing a sequel and John Milius was unable to direct, so their serious, epic approach went somewhat out the window with them.  Stanley Mann wrote a script based on a treatment by two comic book writers Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, who borrowed a few bits and pieces from Robert E.Howard's stories, and old veteran Richard Fleischer came on to direct.  Arnold Schwarzenegger put on an extra ten pounds for this sequel, which was partially filmed on the same Mexican locations as Dune.  After it was completed though it underwent much re-editing, with producer Raffaela De Laurentiis decided that the film would make even more money than the first one if it was more suitable for children.  The violence was drastically toned down and several scenes including one showing Conan having sex with Taramis were removed, but the gambit didn't pay off, for the movie only did good [rather than very good] business in the US.  Its' strong performance overseas though ensured that a third movie was planned, to be called Conan The Conqueror, but nothing came of it except the fact that it's script wound up as the basis for Kull The Conqueror.

After an opening battle, Destroyer wastes little time in setting up its quest and sending Conan and company off on it.  Immediately this is a far faster paced movie, with no more than five minutes seeming to pass before the next bit of action, but if anything it's too fast paced.  All the places that Conan and his companions reach are reached so quickly that they give the impression of just being around the corner, and there's no sense of travel.  Still, there's almost constant fighting with Conan battling various comers, though this is not nearly so well staged as Barbarian's action despite lots of shots of Conan twirling his sword.  The battle with Thoth-Amon, [played by Pat Roach, best known for slugging it out with Harrison Ford in the first two Indiana Jones movies] who turns into an ape-like demon, is nicely staged in a hall of mirrors though, with composer Basil Poledouris expertly scoring each stage of the brawl, from mystery to peril to victory.  The build up to the climax is well managed too.  When he comes to life, even though he looks nothing like his statue, Dagoth is a memorable monstrosity from the mind of Carlo Rambaldi and helps make for an exciting end set piece which almost turns the film into a horror movie, though Conan's companions seem to just stand around and let Conan do most of the work!   I will say that there is still a fair bit of brutality, from staffs smashing in faces to head being lopped off, but it's certainly not on Barbarian's level and it's obvious that some of the fight scenes are missing bits and pieces.  In one battle somebody suddenly appears to have had his ear bitten off, but we don't see it!

The script is reasonable in terms of its story but softens the character of Conan into a muscular do-gooder and makes several mistakes, such as building up Bombaata as a great opponent for Conan but having their climactic fight being one of the shortest fights in the film.  There are also some stupid bits, for instance when Malak spots the camel Conan punched down in the previous film, despite the fact he wasn't even there.  The screenplay feels really rushed in places and not all the supposed humour works, such as a really badly written bit when Jehnna asks about sex.  Malak gets a little annoying with his cowardly comments, but what irritates me most in this movie is that the 'Wizard' played by Mako now suddenly has a name, Akiro, and he's found ridiculously easily.  His brief duel with another wizard, as they open and shut a giant stone mouth, provides a laugh or too though, and there's a nice scene with a drunken Conan, or rather a scene that would have been nice if Arnie had been able to pull it off.  Special effects are fine for 1984 and there are some impressive sets, especially for the ice palace, which looks both sinister and rather beautiful.   The film was photographed lushly by the great Jack Cardiff though it's obvious though that director Richard Fleischer, the maker of classics like The Vikings and 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, just saw the film as a job and his direction has little of the style and conviction of Milius's.  He does keep the pace moving though.  Destroyer may be full of flaws, but it is never boring, and that's certainly worth something!  It's also a little closer to Howard in tone and style.

Arnie was probably at the peak of his physicality in this movie though his acting is actually weaker here than in Barbarian [even though he's required to do less].  Sarah Douglas as Taramis and the frankly terrifying Grace Jones as Zula make strong impressions though do not really do enough.  Basil Poledouris provides another strong score, with a rip-roaring main theme, though he's a little too fond of using slightly re-orchestrated cues from the proceeding film and the music suffers from being poorly played and by a much smaller orchestra.  I've been quite hard on Conan The Destroyer in this review, and I must emphasise that is a highly enjoyable sword and sorcery movie that, if you're just after switch-your-brain-off entertainment with a few beers, is possibly more fun than the original movie. In terms of quality, though, Barbarian totally nails Destroyer, and it is images and scenes from the former that you'll remember long after you've forgotten most of the latter.
7/10

Excllent review as always,and Grace Jones as Zula,now that was one scary women and Grace in her best movie part apart from VAMP.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13135
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/8/2011 7:36:57 PM   
batcountry84

Saw The Devil's Rock the other day but found it quite average. It just dragged too much for my liking.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13136
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/8/2011 9:33:13 PM   
losthighway

Hello weirdos!!!

Two films by one of my fave directors are out on DVD tomorrow...

Please check these films out folks... yes i'm pushing the queer agenda again but i promise ya that they both fit neatly into the realms of the weird/strange!

I watched this earlier: A rather tedious film with a nasty aftertaste. I honestly can't say that it's worth wasting 90mins of your life on. The sad thing is it shows the character on the DVD sleeve editing a copy of Book of Blood(!! ), a better film than this tripe and also from the fabulously queer Clive Barker...  Overall: 1/5

Watched this last night:

Think of a more realistic version of Kick Ass with a rather sadistic pleasure in graphic violence (hence that 18 cert!). In fact, Wan's sadism is the main flaw with this film - it just doesn;t sit very well within the context of the film and my only thought is that he is trying to present a serious aversion for any thickos considering copying aspects from the film. As for the story itself, well just watch out for Page's seriously fucked up sidekick, Fillion's Holy Avenger (inspired!) and Wilson's rather surreal labotomy!!  This one is definitely worth a watch. Overall: 3.5/5

DVDs left to watch this week...  

And at the cinema...

And on TV... I'm rather enjoying

...Peace out nutjobs!!!

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 13137
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/8/2011 9:45:57 PM   
HughesRoss

Two things LH....

Super is brilliant, glad you liked it like I did.  I reviewed it over on HCF, here is a bit of it!

The ghost of Kick Ass lingers over this film even before a scene is shown.  I mean its about a normal man who wakes up one day and decides to be a superhero.  With no powers or weapons and walking the streets with a bright coloured all in one suit, you can hear the grip offh shouts from the die hard fans of that film after the first fifteen minutes of this being on.

Even for me I was hoping for something like that film, a rip roaring actioner  with sly gags and enough superhero homagefs to pleasantly pass the time, I have to be honest and admit I was not expecting much from Super even though it has a quote on the dvd cover that brags that its better than Kick Ass.  Even the first twenty minutes nothing much happens.  We introduced to the world of Frank, a loser who has somehow managed to get married to the beautiful Sarah but cracks are beginning to appear in their relationship.  Her past as an ex druggie emerges into the now on the arrival of sleaze bag Jacques who introduces her back to the life she tried best to get rid of.

With Sarah gone and Frank heartbroken, he has a vision to become a superhero, a vigilante to save humans from the despair of the evil on the streets.  Dressed like a poor version of the Flash and with a wrench in his hand, he starts to fight crime, but even to get to this stage of the film, some fans wanting the same vibe and energy that served Kick Ass while may reach out and press the off button.  Super takes a lot of determination for the viewer to stick with it, because this is not only following in the path of a film that I have already mentioned a few times in this review but also of the Woody Harrelson film The Defender which this shares a lot with.  But just when you think Super has nowhere to go and really fails to offer something fresh to this new genre, something amazing happens, and its the arrival of the quite brilliant Libby who is played wonderfully by Ellen Page

Working in a Comic Book store and having showed Frank the best magazines into how to become a superhero, she quickly figures that he is the guy on the news, and after he gets shot by the gang who he believes are keeping Sarah hostage, he ends up in the apartment of Libby and after she helps him recover, she quickly becomes his sidekick Boltie, and this is when the film quickly picks up into a different beast.

Libby is a quite stunning creation and it helps also that Page looks stunning in that suit.  When we first see her dressed up, its here we see the first hint that there is something quite damaged in her personality as she poses in slow motion and touches herself to a bewildered Frank.  Its from this moment that Super becomes a dark comical tale that you can not take you eyes off.  Its wacky and surreal with enough blood and action to keep the viewer happy.  Its also morally wrong on so many levels, you will not believe how black the comedy goes, all summed up by the quite wrong yet hilarious sex scene that will make you want to look away.

Super carries performances that better anything Kick Ass or The Defender could ever manage.  Wilson is brilliant, he looks totally wrong for the part of a superhero but yet because this is supposed to be real life, it fits the film perfectly and while he becomes psychotic at times, you do feel sympathy for him.  Bacon as the bad guy is his usual self but its Page who steals the show in what for me is the second best performance of the year by a female actress.  I know that is a bold statement to make, but if it was not for Natalie Portman in the Black Swan, then Page would walk it.  Her over-the-top reactions to their crime fighting exploits are so damn funny that I instantly fell in love with the character.

Anyone who gives this a go will be surprised at the film, make no mistake and I can see why many reviews have lavished praise on the whole show.  After a slow start it turns into a beast, some scenes are so dark that you laugh but feel disturbed and there are also moments of genuine shock that will stay with you long after the credits roll.  There is one particular moment that deeply upset me, and I guess if you fall in love with this film then it will for you too.  Its unexpected, totally out of the blue and a real take your breath away moment.

The question is then to wrap this review up, is it like the quote says "Better than Kick Ass?"

Its totally pointless to even compare, because they are both different movies.  While Kick Ass ripped the comic book formula up, Super simply does not care what it does or is, the film has the most darkest of black hearts I have had the privilege to watch for many years.  Its cross breed between Grosse Point Blank and Juno with two people trying to be Superheroes, its funny and wonderful and one of the most surprising watches of the year for me.

Highly recommended to all HCF readers:
                                                              Rating:

SECOND POINT!

Well wrong about Dread mate, DJ and I are huge fans of this horror and have been spreading the word about it

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 7/8/2011 9:47:15 PM >

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 13138
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 7/8/2011 11:01:56 PM   
losthighway

DREAD is terrible! Had it saved on SKY+ box for months now and could have deleted it ages ago. It was so bad I almost switched off 30mins in. Can;t agree with ya on this one i'm afraid. I'd recommend BOOK OF BLOOD over this one anyday! Oh and check out the INSIDE directors new one... LIVID... More of a ghost story from the sounds of it but with some seriously fucked up imagery! 

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13139
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/8/2011 11:22:52 AM   
Platter

SUPER (2011)

It's a very surprising movie as many things happen that I didn't predict. It's both a good thing and a bad thing that it doesn't play by the rules. Probably more good than bad. It's nice to be taken by surprise with unexpected deaths, abrupt tonal changes and quickly curtailed sub-plots etc. The downside is that those predictable identikit elements are constantly used in other films for a reason - because they work. By not following expectations of standardised rules it does feel a little amateurish and unpolished, like it's missing a major rewrite.

It very much plays like a low budget indie flick with wobbly handheld camerawork, semi-improvised dialogue* and the odd flat stretch. The film is quickly paced, and even though it never dawdles, it still threatens to slow to a crawl from time to time. Thankfully it doesn't and it keeps moving.

There are also a few laugh out loud sequences, such as the dramatic getaway that is compromised by a stalling car.

The film it most reminds me of is History of Violence in its plot, themes and structure.

The movie doesn't quite work, but I suppose it's probably very memorable. If the superior Kick-Ass hadn't already done this plotline first, then I'm sure it would be much more impressive.

Overall it's above average. It's definitely worth seeing.

6 out of 10

* I don't think any of the dialogue is improvised, or even mumbled, but it has that sort of feel to it. I can't quite find the words to describe the acting style.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13140
Page:   <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI