Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  433 434 [435] 436 437   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 12:17:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I've certainly enjoyed all three movies and will no doubt get excited if there's a fifth, I think that the perfect film from the concept has yet to be made.  Maybe it's just not possible when it's origin is a line of toys!
7/10

Movie not even  out and you do a review,hope you haven't been a "Naughty Naughty Boy",and your a fan of Michael Bay it seemsOnly kidding mate.
quote:

Snake-Eyes
I liked THE HIILS HAVE EYES remake. Alexandre Aja is a fine Horror director with a pretty decent filmography (haven't seen MIRRORS yet though).

He is a fine horror director,but Warning Warning,MIRRORS is a bit of a let down,it's not that scary or chilling,though well acted,and directed.It just fails to do anything interesting with the story,and the scares when they come are miss timed.

Saw a preview on the Tuesday evening. I will say that, though not really a fan, I don't mind Micheal Bay most of the time, some call his films trash but there's hundreds of worse directors of trash out there!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13021
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 7:34:06 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Man Bites Dog (C'est arrivé près de chez vous)

"Once I buried two Arabs in a wall over there... Facing Mecca, of course."

SPOILERS

A Belgian camera crew document Benoit, a charismatic young man as he goes about his day to day business talking philosophy, drinking and most of all killing people, lots of people in probably the funniest black and white film about a serial killer you'll ever see. This is a Black Comedy with a capital B (and C) and definitely not for those who balk easily at gags involving murdering children and raping women on screen. Trust me it sounds terrible and it is, but in a good way.

This film first hit our screens back in 92 and immediately caused an uproar with the Daily Mail types, most of whom had never seen the film and clearly didn't understand it's satirical undertones about the casualness of screen violence and of course the lengths to which reality television/documentaion will go (something which makes the film even more relevant now). As mockumentarys go this is the Spinal Tap of serial killer films. Its side splittingly funny in places, despite the horrors that surround the humour.

Benoit himself as the films subject is a force of nature, one of cinemas most entertaining and complex villains, right up there with Alex DeLarge or Heath Ledgers 'Joker'. His inane ramblings about red bricks and pigeons and drunken sing-a-longs ying and yang with his increasingly out of control killing sprees. These get to the point where, in the films funniest moment, he hunts down a rival serial killer like himself only to be confronted with a duplicate camera crew following the other guy (Pegg and Co must have nicked this gag for the 'parallel gang/storyline' in SOTD).

The camera crew, led by the late Remy Belavux (playing himself, they all played themselves in the film) end up getting dragged in to Benoit's world too, taking active part in the murders and in the films most shocking moment, gang raping a woman before killing her and her partner. These instances are filmed and treated in almost a casual, passive way, as if what they're filming is nothing out of the ordinary (and tbh it isn't in this film).

If you have a strong sense of humour then I'd seriously recommend you see this as its one of the most interesting cult Euro flicks to come out of the 90's and layered with more subtle gags on society and horror film satire than any Scream movie could manage.

9.5/10

Love the review mate,and so gald there's more than one fan of this great movie,which i review a year or so ago in my run down of my favorite movies of the 90's;I have it on DVD i take it you got the Excellent Blu-Ray,well here's my short review from Febuary 2010,enjoy.
MAN BITES DOG 1992

A camera crew follows a serial killer/thief around as he exercises his craft. He expounds on art, music, nature, society, and life as he offs mailmen, pensioners, and random people. Slowly he begins involving the camera crew in his activities, and they begin wondering if what they're doing is such a good idea, particularly when the killer kills a rival and the rival's brother sends a threatening letter.

This movie is a piece of art: shocking and disturbing, while at the same time darkly funny,in a twisted kind of way.It gives an insight in the very realistically portrayed life of Ben, a serial killer with an impressionable charisma.This is a film you will either love it or hate, most Americans can't seem to understand the tongue-in- cheekiness of this movie.Probably it has to do with the fake-documentary nature of the movie, which is clearly western-European. Anyone who has ever seen American documentaries knows they have a different pace and way of treating images.When watching this movie, try to imagine that this could be a real movie,based on a true serial killer,it's more open to you that way.It is not a black comedy in the classical sense of the word; more like a Clockwork Orange for the90's. Where A Clockwork Orange bathed in the design of the seventies, this movie bathes in the larger-than-life evasiveness of modern-day reality tv style television(more like NBK). Anyone who has seen shows like cops or Big Brother will know what i'm talking about. It makes a statement, not about violence, but about the observer of violence,and the way it is portrayed shows the art of the very low-budget crew.It disturbs you without fancy effects or gory portrayal of gore, it shows fear, despair and psychological emptiness, by playing with emotions.An over looked  cult classic,that won at Cannes and yet never got the acclaim it deserved else where,just not a Hollywood action movie.8/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13022
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 8:13:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

I watched it at x2 speed on DVD so it only took about 70 minutes to watch.  I think I chose wisely

5 out of 10

Then the next day I tried watching Mission To Mars (2000):

I started to watch it at x2 speed before realising that it wasn't going to get any better.  I ejected the disc at the 43 minute point.

1 out of 10

The Mad Platter at it again i see,spouting shit about movies he really hates,IE anything Sci/Fi or Horror that's not made to look like Star Wars or American Pie.How can you think we give a shit about reviews of movies at 2X speed then switched off half way thought.You really are on the wrong thread,the Guys and Girls that spend time here want to hear real views,even if it's a bit of a rant,but not Mad Hatter rants,if you don't like the fucking film fine,but if you have not given it any of your time then wise the fuck up!!!!
quote:

NCC1701A
Hi the sequel 2010 with Roy Scheider was as I remember quite good and better.

You are joking????
Don't get me wrong 2010 is a great Sci/Fi movie i gave it 7/10,and i'm a big fan of Peter Hyams,he has made some great movies  like the awesome Capricorn One,Outland,Timecop,The Relic and Narrow Margin,being some of my favorites.But 2010 is the Hollywood version of 2001,and just feels watered down compared to the book,where 2001 is just a mindfuck!!!and here is why;
2001: A Space Odyssey1968

This is the story of evolution from Ape to Man to Starchild. Sometime in the distant past,when man was ape something or some force nudged evolution by placing a monolith on Earth. Evolution then enabled humankind to reach the moon's surface, where yet another monolith is found, one that signals the monolith placers that humankind has evolved thus far. Now a race begins between computers (HAL) and human (Bowman) to reach the monolith placers,to learn the truth . The winner will achieve the next step in evolution, whatever that may be.

Released 8TH April 1968,Stanley Kubrick's 2001 was a major flop and nearly brought MGM to it's knees,it was a cult hit with die hard Sci/Fi fans,and hippie's who wanted a trip without acid.But thing's where about to change big time with the moon landing,which finally got Joe public to think it was possible to go to the stars.The story of mans rise from Ape to Spaceman,and then to Infinity suddenly had people talking and re-watching,and for a movie over forty years old to still have people talking about it's deeper meanings,is amazing.
As a movie it is just pure cinema at it's best,with special effects that have stood the test of time,they are still mind blowing images and believable,no CGI could ever match this not yet??It was way ahead of it's time on a technical level,and as a insight into the future,again way ahead of it's time,look at the gravity system,frozen bodies to be reanimated later,the space station,flat screen tv's etc etc.And a story that still has everyone still talking,trying to figure out what Kubrick and A.C.Clarke where up to,what is it really about.Clarke himself said that himself and Kubrick wanted it to be that way,with more questions than answers.Every time i watch this masterpiece i come up with a different meaning to the enigma that is 2001,it seems to get better as you get older as you open your mind to deeper feelings and emotions.It is not an easy watch as it movie's at a very slow pace,but this is a thought provoking movie not an auctioneer sci/fi like Star Wars,or the latest breed of Fantasy movies.Personally i think this is the Greatest Sci/Fi movie of all time,and Stanley Kubrick's finest masterpiece,maybe even the greatest movie of the 20TH century.10/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 4/7/2011 8:17:38 PM >

Post #: 13023
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 9:48:18 PM   
losthighway

Not been around for ages but David Schwimmer did answer my question the other day on live chat and I bought this little beauty which is on it's way as I type this...

Peace out weirdos!!!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13024
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 9:50:43 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Arrow have announced the release of Pieces on DVD on 5th September. Special features include:

- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of 'Nightmare USA'
- Introduction by star Jack Taylor
- Pieces of Jack: An Actors Experience of Spanish Splatter – Actor Jack Taylor recollects his experiences of performing in Pieces
- Pieces of Deconstruction: Looking Back at a Grindhouse Gorefest – Hostel producer Scott Spiegel, filmmaker Howard S. Berger, critic Michael Gingold and horror historian Santos Ellin Jr. reflect on the lasting legacy, and lacerations, of Pieces
- Audio Commentary with Fangoria magazine's Tony Timpone, sharing first hand recollections of the golden age of slasher cinema, moderated by Calum Waddell

Oh and I already own the Grindhouse Releasing 2-disc deluxe edition of this one... def worth buying. It's a comedic classic!  Now where did he hide that chainsaw...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13025
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 4/7/2011 11:43:58 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Love the review mate,and so gald there's more than one fan of this great movie,which i review a year or so ago in my run down of my favorite movies of the 90's;I have it on DVD i take it you got the Excellent Blu-Ray,well here's my short review from Febuary 2010,enjoy.
MAN BITES DOG 1992

A camera crew follows a serial killer/thief around as he exercises his craft. He expounds on art, music, nature, society, and life as he offs mailmen, pensioners, and random people. Slowly he begins involving the camera crew in his activities, and they begin wondering if what they're doing is such a good idea, particularly when the killer kills a rival and the rival's brother sends a threatening letter.

This movie is a piece of art: shocking and disturbing, while at the same time darkly funny,in a twisted kind of way.It gives an insight in the very realistically portrayed life of Ben, a serial killer with an impressionable charisma.This is a film you will either love it or hate, most Americans can't seem to understand the tongue-in- cheekiness of this movie.Probably it has to do with the fake-documentary nature of the movie, which is clearly western-European. Anyone who has ever seen American documentaries knows they have a different pace and way of treating images.When watching this movie, try to imagine that this could be a real movie,based on a true serial killer,it's more open to you that way.It is not a black comedy in the classical sense of the word; more like a Clockwork Orange for the90's. Where A Clockwork Orange bathed in the design of the seventies, this movie bathes in the larger-than-life evasiveness of modern-day reality tv style television(more like NBK). Anyone who has seen shows like cops or Big Brother will know what i'm talking about. It makes a statement, not about violence, but about the observer of violence,and the way it is portrayed shows the art of the very low-budget crew.It disturbs you without fancy effects or gory portrayal of gore, it shows fear, despair and psychological emptiness, by playing with emotions.An over looked  cult classic,that won at Cannes and yet never got the acclaim it deserved else where,just not a Hollywood action movie.8/10

Dig your review as well man, way more technical than my one which I'm not so good at anyways. Spot on about the whole 'observation of violence' thing which is probably why this film is in some way relegated to cult status, some people can't seem to shine a light on themselves.
I take it was you posting those pings on HCF? I wasn't sure what to do with them but I recognise the review from the link.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 4/7/2011 11:46:45 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13026
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:20:22 AM   
HughesRoss

Any guys from HCF around?

Something scary is happening when I am trying to access the site this morning

Can one of you send me a PM to let me know what the feck is happening!

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13027
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:38:56 AM   
Dr Lenera

HR you have a pm

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13028
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:53:22 AM   
HughesRoss

Not recieved mate

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13029
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:59:48 AM   
Spaldron

"Your account has been suspended". WTF?

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13030
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 9:02:03 AM   
HughesRoss

I know......

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13031
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 10:05:26 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

I know......

I am in a state of mild peril. This did happen before though didn't it?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13032
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 10:07:50 AM   
Spaldron

It was the government what did it....

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 13033
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 10:12:42 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

It was the government what did it....

They may take our website but they'll never take our FREED.......you know the rest.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13034
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 10:30:00 AM   
HughesRoss

This never happened to Facebook...........

Post #: 13035
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 12:32:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

I know......

Well now it just says Forbidden, but yeah, I do remember this happening before and Bat fixed it, god I wouldn't want to be in her shoes right now!!!

Post #: 13036
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 1:58:50 PM   
batcountry84

My unlimited webhosting decided we had used too much CPU on HCF. Oh, the irony.
So now I am setting up the new hosting. HCF should be back online hopefully this evening or tomorrow.
I am working like mad to get it sorted. I may then have to sleep for a week to recover.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13037
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 7:54:28 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

I know......

Well now it just says Forbidden, but yeah, I do remember this happening before and Bat fixed it, god I wouldn't want to be in her shoes right now!!!

And there i thought you where all coming back to DADDY!!!!!

< Message edited by evil bill -- 5/7/2011 7:58:24 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13038
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:02:12 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Not been around for ages but David Schwimmer did answer my question the other day on live chat and I bought this little beauty which is on it's way as I type this...

Peace out weirdos!!!

Now that looks just what the Dr ordered,i've read good things about this show,and good to see you back.
quote:

Oh and I already own the Grindhouse Releasing 2-disc deluxe edition of this one... def worth buying. It's a comedic classic!  Now where did he hide that chainsaw...

And i thought you'd gone soft.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13039
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/7/2011 8:08:38 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

MAN BITES DOG 1992

Dig your review as well man, way more technical than my one which I'm not so good at anyways. Spot on about the whole 'observation of violence' thing which is probably why this film is in some way relegated to cult status, some people can't seem to shine a light on themselves.
I take it was you posting those pings on HCF? I wasn't sure what to do with them but I recognise the review from the link.

What the hell are Pings????
Anyway yes i've been posting reviews and features on that site,set up by my disobedient children.
Because i was keeping the review short i ended up with it being more an observation,so i'm glad we have your more emotion based review on here as well.The two reviews put together would be awesome,so keep up the good work my Scottish friend.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13040
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/7/2011 8:16:58 AM   
HughesRoss

Had an email that HCF is back up and running, but when I have just tried it its not.  Are any of you guys having the same trouble?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13041
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/7/2011 7:08:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Had an email that HCF is back up and running, but when I have just tried it its not.  Are any of you guys having the same trouble?

It's up and running!!!!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 13042
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/7/2011 7:12:15 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

It's up and running!!!!

Not for me it aint!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13043
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/7/2011 7:47:23 PM   
evil bill

Now i'm sure a lot of horror fans have this on DVD like myself,but i just watched my new Blu-Ray SE of this classic,and to put it mildly it is awesome.Every thing about it looks so visually stunning it really is worth the extra money(only £9.49 on Play.Com/Amazon)and worth a re write of an old review so here it is;

DON'T LOOK NOW 1973

A grieving English couple to go to Venice, where the past continues to plague them. John Baxter (Donald Sutherland) and his wife Laura (Julie Christie) are in mourning for their young daughter, who drowned tragically near their home. John takes a job in Venice so that the couple can leave the past behind, but, unfortunately, the past is not easily forgotten. While John begins to see unsettling visions of a young girl in a red coat running through the Venice streets, Laura learns from an elderly psychic that her husband is in grave danger.

This British-Italian horror film, directed by Nicolas Roeg became famous for a sex scene that was unusually graphic for the time,including a rare portrayal of oral sex,involving Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. Rumors that Sutherland and Christie actually had sex have persisted for years, even being repeated recently,though both still rubbish such rumors,along with Nic. The scene was an unscripted last minute improvisation by Roeg who felt that without it there would be too many scenes of the couple arguing.He wanted to show a couple going through the grief of losing a child,and how they struggle to keep there own love alive,and by that it also has to include love making.It is edited in an unorthodox but typical Roeg manner with the footage of the act inter-cut with footage of the couple getting dressed for dinner afterward.And for me is one of the most realistic portrayals of  two passionate ordinary people,and thus it would of at the time felt extreme,and may still cause a few red faces.

Nicolas Roeg based this movie on a short story by  Daphne Du Maurier,and also reportedly the death of one of his own children??,in his first marriage.This is a movie about the psychology of grief, and the effect the death of a child can have on a relationshipand the strongest of this is the loss of a young child,which sadly i too have experienced some time ago.So for me watching it again after such an event has given me a deeper understanding of the writer,and directors vision.This film deals with so much in what is a short running time (110 minutes) it's amazing it covers the likes of loss of love,death,the afterlife, murder, blindness, religion and dwarfism and so much more.It  is a excellent thriller,a spine tinging supernatural chiller and a superb family drama that confirmed the director's status as a true visionary,and one of the all time great British directors.

DON'T LOOK NOW is one of the most daring and influential motion pictures of the 1970s,that has greatly influenced modern day directors like Lars Von Tiers,just look at his film Antihrist it's similar in both look and story,or Out Of Sight with it's inter cutting sex scene directed by Steven Soberbergh who is a huge fan.There's also many more like Scott,Tarantino, Lynch,Boyle,even the Bond movie Casino Royale where 007 pursues a female character through Venice, catching glimpses of her through the crowds wearing a red dress,one hell of a homage.

From Pino Donaggio's atmospheric score to Graeme Clifford's superb editing , Roeg's film is a stylistic achievement with that European feel and Italian flare. Sutherland and Christie are outstanding(maybe there best roles ever)as their typical phenomenal selves playing the bereaved, devastated couple.As Don't Look Now opens, we see a placid little pond, and disjointed, dreamy editing and cinematography that combine to form an unsettling scene of two kids playing. A young boy is riding around on his bike, and a little girl in a red mackintosh is frolicking around. We then see the parents of the children, John and Laura Baxter , sitting comfortably inside by the fire,John working on some photo slides,his wife studying a book.But  something is wrong, and we the viewer can feel it and it's only started. The film's editing style eerily merges the slowly mounting events outside as the boy's bike hits some glass and John's drink crashes on the table. Before we know it, the Baxter's daughter has plunged into the pond and the Baxters are left with a dead daughter.

The movie then jumps to Venice,a setting that provides the film with a strong sense of the imposing, Gothic majesty of the churches,but also an ominous sense of other worldliness. In a foreign land with different customs, culture and architecture, the characters feel and look lost, but yet the mysterious, unknown element of the new setting provides a sense of hope,of escape from overpowering grief. The director has used a number of tricks to emphasize certain details,which may have no meaning at the time, but their re-occurrence throughout the film adds to the haunting atmosphere.
One day in a restaurant, Laura is encounter by a mysterious, psychic, blind woman who assures her that her daughter is 'happy.' Laura tells her husband this, but John is a staunch non-believer in things of the sort,he is a rational man.Later we see him being warned he is in great danger,but he chooses to ignore this mad blind woman.Yet he see's a figure in red that could be his Daughter,but that can't be yet he follows,and we too follow as if trapped by reason,yet knowing there is so much more.The film contains a numerous amount of plot strands,like mysterious figure in a red coat who begins to appear around Venice, paranormal themes emerge along with vision's.Dead bodies are being found in the canals, a killer's on the loose, and the blind woman/prophet continually warns of John's inpending danger,very Gallio in places.

Films made in the tone of Don't Look Now are so rare these days,the way it drifts along at a wandering pace.And then up a gear and the final twenty minutes are among the most atmospheric and suspenseful twenty minutes in any film ever, culminating in a montage that is absolutely chilling,and a bloody, climax that left me shaking.It is the most adult horror picture i've ever encountered, or indeed can even imagine,it's superbly chilling essay in the supernatural terror.That brilliantly portrays the loves and losses we all experience at some time in our lives,here and now dictated by the fallibility of human nature and the cruelties of time.This without doubt one of the definitive mystery chillers of all time,that is just as good now to watch as when it was made,a masterpiece of British cinema and Roeg's finest film.10/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 6/7/2011 7:49:02 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13044
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/7/2011 9:43:08 PM   
Dr Lenera

A superb and very descriptive and insisive review there of a true classic, a reminder of why the 70s WAS the decade for Wierd/Strange!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13045
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/7/2011 8:21:00 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

It's up and running!!!!

Not for me it aint!

Oddly mate my home computer is fine, but the one in work this morning says "Account Suspended!" 

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 13046
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/7/2011 11:54:34 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Now i'm sure a lot of horror fans have this on DVD like myself,but i just watched my new Blu-Ray SE of this classic,and to put it mildly it is awesome.Every thing about it looks so visually stunning it really is worth the extra money(only £9.49 on Play.Com/Amazon)and worth a re write of an old review so here it is;

DON'T LOOK NOW 1973

A grieving English couple to go to Venice, where the past continues to plague them. John Baxter (Donald Sutherland) and his wife Laura (Julie Christie) are in mourning for their young daughter, who drowned tragically near their home. John takes a job in Venice so that the couple can leave the past behind, but, unfortunately, the past is not easily forgotten. While John begins to see unsettling visions of a young girl in a red coat running through the Venice streets, Laura learns from an elderly psychic that her husband is in grave danger.

This British-Italian horror film, directed by Nicolas Roeg became famous for a sex scene that was unusually graphic for the time,including a rare portrayal of oral sex,involving Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. Rumors that Sutherland and Christie actually had sex have persisted for years, even being repeated recently,though both still rubbish such rumors,along with Nic. The scene was an unscripted last minute improvisation by Roeg who felt that without it there would be too many scenes of the couple arguing.He wanted to show a couple going through the grief of losing a child,and how they struggle to keep there own love alive,and by that it also has to include love making.It is edited in an unorthodox but typical Roeg manner with the footage of the act inter-cut with footage of the couple getting dressed for dinner afterward.And for me is one of the most realistic portrayals of  two passionate ordinary people,and thus it would of at the time felt extreme,and may still cause a few red faces.

Nicolas Roeg based this movie on a short story by  Daphne Du Maurier,and also reportedly the death of one of his own children??,in his first marriage.This is a movie about the psychology of grief, and the effect the death of a child can have on a relationshipand the strongest of this is the loss of a young child,which sadly i too have experienced some time ago.So for me watching it again after such an event has given me a deeper understanding of the writer,and directors vision.This film deals with so much in what is a short running time (110 minutes) it's amazing it covers the likes of loss of love,death,the afterlife, murder, blindness, religion and dwarfism and so much more.It  is a excellent thriller,a spine tinging supernatural chiller and a superb family drama that confirmed the director's status as a true visionary,and one of the all time great British directors.

DON'T LOOK NOW is one of the most daring and influential motion pictures of the 1970s,that has greatly influenced modern day directors like Lars Von Tiers,just look at his film Antihrist it's similar in both look and story,or Out Of Sight with it's inter cutting sex scene directed by Steven Soberbergh who is a huge fan.There's also many more like Scott,Tarantino, Lynch,Boyle,even the Bond movie Casino Royale where 007 pursues a female character through Venice, catching glimpses of her through the crowds wearing a red dress,one hell of a homage.

From Pino Donaggio's atmospheric score to Graeme Clifford's superb editing , Roeg's film is a stylistic achievement with that European feel and Italian flare. Sutherland and Christie are outstanding(maybe there best roles ever)as their typical phenomenal selves playing the bereaved, devastated couple.As Don't Look Now opens, we see a placid little pond, and disjointed, dreamy editing and cinematography that combine to form an unsettling scene of two kids playing. A young boy is riding around on his bike, and a little girl in a red mackintosh is frolicking around. We then see the parents of the children, John and Laura Baxter , sitting comfortably inside by the fire,John working on some photo slides,his wife studying a book.But  something is wrong, and we the viewer can feel it and it's only started. The film's editing style eerily merges the slowly mounting events outside as the boy's bike hits some glass and John's drink crashes on the table. Before we know it, the Baxter's daughter has plunged into the pond and the Baxters are left with a dead daughter.

The movie then jumps to Venice,a setting that provides the film with a strong sense of the imposing, Gothic majesty of the churches,but also an ominous sense of other worldliness. In a foreign land with different customs, culture and architecture, the characters feel and look lost, but yet the mysterious, unknown element of the new setting provides a sense of hope,of escape from overpowering grief. The director has used a number of tricks to emphasize certain details,which may have no meaning at the time, but their re-occurrence throughout the film adds to the haunting atmosphere.
One day in a restaurant, Laura is encounter by a mysterious, psychic, blind woman who assures her that her daughter is 'happy.' Laura tells her husband this, but John is a staunch non-believer in things of the sort,he is a rational man.Later we see him being warned he is in great danger,but he chooses to ignore this mad blind woman.Yet he see's a figure in red that could be his Daughter,but that can't be yet he follows,and we too follow as if trapped by reason,yet knowing there is so much more.The film contains a numerous amount of plot strands,like mysterious figure in a red coat who begins to appear around Venice, paranormal themes emerge along with vision's.Dead bodies are being found in the canals, a killer's on the loose, and the blind woman/prophet continually warns of John's inpending danger,very Gallio in places.

Films made in the tone of Don't Look Now are so rare these days,the way it drifts along at a wandering pace.And then up a gear and the final twenty minutes are among the most atmospheric and suspenseful twenty minutes in any film ever, culminating in a montage that is absolutely chilling,and a bloody, climax that left me shaking.It is the most adult horror picture i've ever encountered, or indeed can even imagine,it's superbly chilling essay in the supernatural terror.That brilliantly portrays the loves and losses we all experience at some time in our lives,here and now dictated by the fallibility of human nature and the cruelties of time.This without doubt one of the definitive mystery chillers of all time,that is just as good now to watch as when it was made,a masterpiece of British cinema and Roeg's finest film.10/10

Blu-ray.com were less than complimentary on the PQ of this release. You rate it?

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13047
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 7/7/2011 7:44:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

DON'T LOOK NOW 1973

This without doubt one of the definitive mystery chillers of all time,that is just as good now to watch as when it was made,a masterpiece of British cinema and Roeg's finest film.10/10

Blu-ray.com were less than complimentary on the PQ of this release. You rate it?

Nicolas Roeg was involved in this Blu-Ray release which also sees the film digitally remastered and given a host of extras not on the DVD SE. Though it may seem to some that Blu-Ray is a little grainy,this was part of the look of the film like The Godfather,they could have cleaned it up to much and spoilt it.It's still a high quality picture 1080P and the remastered colour (the red really stands out)are an asset to the film and make it even more terrifying. The added extras include the SE DVD extras,but there's more interviews with the cast and crew, two documentaries and director Danny Boyle's condensed version of the film which was shown as part of Roeg's BAFTA tribute,which i hope to get round to watching,and if like me you are interested in the thought process behind the film,well it's a big bonus.
Picture 8/10
sound 9/10
Extras 10/10 ????
Hope this helps mate.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 7/7/2011 7:50:19 PM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 13048
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/7/2011 6:39:10 AM   
benny the jet

Lovely review evil Bill. Spot on mate

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13049
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 8/7/2011 10:34:21 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Spent tonight watching Event Horizon. Is it just me, or do the visuals make it look like something straight out of the Hellraiser universe? The art direction and set design were incredible.

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 13050
Page:   <<   < prev  433 434 [435] 436 437   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: <<   < prev  433 434 [435] 436 437   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI