Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 25/1/2007 9:52:38 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: djsmokingjam

Any lover of weird cinema owes it to themselves to see this film .  And kudos to whoever mentioned Possession earlier.

And why the hell is Rawhead Rex getting talked about in this thread?  It's just a cheap shitty monster movie, there are many other Barker films more deserving of the "weird and strange" tag.

Thanks, it was me who mentioned both so first of all thanks for the 'kudos' for Possession but dont have a go at Rawhead Rex, this is a thread to enjoy weird and strange movies not have a go at peoples tastes. Fair enough Clive Barker has written and directed much weirder stuff but i like Rawhead Rex which is why i mentioned it and this is all about people sharing their tastes, crap or not and is left for other users to make up their minds to see it or not so please dont come on here and start telling people they have crap taste. For instance, i havent seen the film you mentioned and judging by the look of it i'll probably search for it and give it a look

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to djsmokingjam)
Post #: 61
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 26/1/2007 5:26:46 AM   
Gothzilla

So what did you think of Altered States ?

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 62
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 26/1/2007 5:15:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

So what did you think of Altered States ?

Well have you dj vivace,you must of got it by now?

And glad to hear you had a wonderful experance of  FINAL APPROACH also,and just a little bit more to add to my mind fuck.We went on to watch Alien and then Apocalypse now,and all thought that it was the Alien not a tiger jumping out of the jungle.Now thats what i call areal weird movie experence.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 26/1/2007 5:24:44 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 63
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 26/1/2007 7:03:54 PM   
dj vivace

No!! How can you watch Apocalypse Now while in that state, and Alien? Madness, not good for the poor old brain. I watched Candyman with a few mates on acid once, while walking home me and another mate tried to walk home the usual way through the woods but it was dark and we absolutely crapped ourselves and ran away screaming and lost each other. By the time i got home i was really really paranoid and as i got to my dads car non other than Candyman was sat in it laughing at me! I ran into my parents house and into the bathroom, and as i turned on the light there was the fucker again!! Bad trip indeed!
     Received Altered States today in the post so will try and watch on my day off tomorrow, i've already got to watch Dabbe and Antibodies. Been on holiday and got far too many films to catch up on

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 64
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 27/1/2007 5:18:53 PM   
evil bill

Acid and Candyman not recomended but hey when your young and mad why not.Must be a thing a lot of fans of the Weird do.Example 2001 had studant's all over droping acid before going in to see it.Me and the mates had some strong hash before going in to see Fire Walk With Me,and belive it or not the movie seemed to make sence.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 65
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 27/1/2007 7:32:38 PM   
dj vivace

Would like to give it a go but my days of all that are finished  and plus i quit smoking 2 years ago. Anyway, i watched Altered States today and i must say me and the misses really enjoyed it but the ending really confused us. I loved all the hallucinations, very dark and a little disturbing to say the least. I want to try that Mexican Hallucinagenic (did i spell that right), looked very powerful but what a terrible way to take it, in a CAVE surrounded by freaky looking Indians, no wonder he lost it!
Now, the multi eyed sheep thing was nightmarish and i didnt understand that, but i'm guessing that his search for God didnt quite work out and instead he found the scientific explanation as to how the world started, hence the single atom in i think what was his final 'trip', and hence the caveman who he became (which is again pointing towards evolution). So all in all a anti religious film? Could be. Very well made, the effects were outstanding for its time and the acting suprisingly good. The only part which really baffled us was at the end  (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!) when he touched his wife and they both turned into energy, then he came back and brought her back. Got a bit lost there, but great film! Thanks for the recommendation

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 66
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 27/1/2007 7:37:50 PM   
Gothzilla

This is definately the best thread on the whole forum. Ive got so many good recommendations for truly thought provoking movies from here. Its just a shame there are so few of us here that appreciate the fact that movies that make you THINK are worth seeing.

well done all of us.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 67
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 27/1/2007 11:11:34 PM   
dj vivace

Yes, well done all of us indeed!! Lets keep this going then....

Dabbe was recommended on another thread in favourite films i think and on the recommendation i bought it, the only place i could get it from was ebay for 4.99. Its Turkish, unrated and the subtitles do not translate very well ( i don't think they were done by an english person). However, i've just watched it and i have to say that i really, truely have not been that scared since Ringu. This was THE most scariest film i've seen in years, and its the first time i've had to actually fucking HIDE behind something, god damn it whats wrong with me!! I wont give away any of the plot but all i can do is URGE whoever reads this to order it from ebay NOW! This is what horror is all about, it is bloody scary and freaky as hell. My fiance is currently very upset that i put her through such torture and is moaning that there is no way she can sleep tonight.

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 68
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 29/1/2007 3:57:18 PM   
adamdavidsmith

American Beauty
The Shining
Fight Club
The Hudsucker Proxy
Memento
Donnie Darko

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 69
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/1/2007 7:05:09 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

This is definately the best thread on the whole forum. Ive got so many good recommendations for truly thought provoking movies from here. Its just a shame there are so few of us here that appreciate the fact that movies that make you THINK are worth seeing.

well done all of us.

Well as long as there some of us on this forum,lets keep the fires of weird and wonderful cinema of strange going.Have any of you lot seen PI (1988)a debut movie by writer/director Darren Aronofsky.Sean Gullette plays a mathematical genius,who has an insatiable quest for numerical serries,that links everything from the stock market to the bible to the meaning of everything.He is being hunted down by a radical jewish sect and wall street goons,all after the mysterious numbers in his mind.As his quest becomes more madding he suffers severe headaces,and tries to find out what the numerical code trapped in his mind means,and why are others tracking him down.It is a pretty chaotic Sci/Fi movie shot in black and white,which has the feel of David Lynch's Eraserhead,very dark and somtimes disturbing but worth a vist.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 70
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/1/2007 7:10:45 PM   
dj vivace

Pi is an absolute classic, what a debut film for Darren Aronofsky. I've only seen it once but on remembering it the style of the film reminds me a lot of the first Tetsuo film, another classic weird and wonderful film. Doesnt really make a whole lot of sense, its more like a nightmare but its great, disturbing and groundbreaking

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 71
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/1/2007 7:22:19 PM   
evil bill

Yeah but thats the fun of movies like this,MINDFUCK!And im glad i did'nt take any ACID  during this movie.Like yourself those days are behind me,the strongest drug i take now is Real Russian Vodka.(and the very rare smoke?)And i'm a non smoker?...Wife and kids what can you do.Hell watch strange movies while blocked.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 72
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 30/1/2007 7:13:36 PM   
dj vivace

ah, but to be young again! Did you see my recomendation of Dabbe? have you ordered it yet?

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 73
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/1/2007 4:55:41 PM   
evil bill

Yes i'm going to try and get this one it sounds great!!!!!

I've ordered ZOMBI region 1,2 disc 25th anversary edition from PlayUSA.com,also known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in the UK.And LOST HIGHWAY by king of weird David Lynch.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 74
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 31/1/2007 5:21:09 PM   
Gothzilla

Lost Highway is Lynchs best ever film. Sod twin Peaks this is the best.
Just when you think its all beginning to make some sort of sense off it goes all over the place. BUT ITS BRILLIANT.
The pace, the moodiness and the sheer wierdness draws you in and gets right under your skin.
Love this film.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 75
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/2/2007 6:57:26 PM   
evil bill

Looking forward to seeing Lost Highway again,as the version i saw was on a copyed disc in a mates house on a small screen 22" square,And they talked most of the way through the fucking movie,which meant i got lost as far as plot is concerned.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 76
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/2/2007 7:33:25 PM   
dj vivace

Lost Highway is a classic, and what the fuck happened half way through again? That bloody guy who turns up at the party telling Bill Pullman to ring him is creep as fuck.
By the way evil bill, i could only find Dabbe on ebay, Amazon and play.com had nothing listed at all! I'm not even sure its been officially released in this country as the copy i got had no certification

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 77
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/2/2007 7:42:11 PM   
evil bill

Yeah i know i'm having trouble tracking DABBE down but i don't give up that easy?As for what happened in Lost Highway half way through,i an't got a clue thanks to those idiot mate's of mine,thats why i sent for it form Play.Com and will watch it tomorrow when it arvies?These same mates came into the Cinema 20 minties into NBK,after me,luckly i'd seen it all with the wife in Canada,or i might of KILLED THEM ALL!

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 78
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/2/2007 7:59:55 PM   
dj vivace

Dabbe is still on ebay for 4.99, its the same guy i ordered it from, as did someone else on this forum the same day as me! As for your mates interrrupting Natural Born Killers, KILL THEM!! I went to see Babel last night with the misses and there were some guys talking all through the trailers and i thought they were gonna talk all through the film, my blood was boiling. Thankfully they didnt, and they left very quickly at the end cuz i think it was too intelligent for them

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 79
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 1/2/2007 8:25:27 PM   
evil bill

The Best thing about David Lynch movies is,only fans go to see his movies and it means they are all in awe!The time me and the same idiot mates went to see Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me,you could hear a pin drop before and after the movie,now thats what its about.Then straight to a bar nearby to dicuss the movie,thats the way to do it.Going on to E BAY now

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 80
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 1/2/2007 10:04:04 PM   
Natbyrne

So many wierd film options....so little time......

I'd recommend 'The Tin Drum' by Gunter Grass. A very strange and wonderful film. Its set around the time the Nazi party were coming into power. The main kid in the story, Oscar, decides to stop growing when hes 3 years old, he goes nowhere without his tin drum and has the ability to shatter glass with his scream (if things dont go his way) as he travels about on all sorts of strange outings. Check it out.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 81
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 12:19:45 AM   
Kira

good thread David Lynch and Pi - bring it on!

I'm throwing in ...

... the virtual reality film
Avalon (http://www.avalon-movie.com) by Mamoru Oshii. It's magnificent. A Polish/Japanese crossover production. I love the soundtrack, the bleak colours, the cast.

... Incubus by Leslie Stevens (
1965) starring "Cap'n Kirk" Shatner in a b/w independent "horror" flick (he's already overacting). Probably the only movie with all dialogue in Esperanto . If it's strangeness that you are after, this is it. I like it.

... French horror director Jean Rollin. His movies are very unique and unusual. Mostly vampire stuff, atmospheric, bizzare, much nudity/sex, sometimes cheesy. I'm thinking of Grapes Of Death or The Living Dead Girl. Rollin's movies are not really favourites though. I actually prefer Italian classics, like Bava, Argento (love Suspiria!!).

(in reply to Natbyrne)
Post #: 82
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 11:41:57 AM   
BartonFink

Tetsuo the iron man is very hard to beat , remember first watching it on Channel 4 at about 3am and being completely baffled .

And then theres these fine examples.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 83
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 4:29:20 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kira

good thread David Lynch and Pi - bring it on!

I'm throwing in ...

... the virtual reality film
Avalon (http://www.avalon-movie.com) by Mamoru Oshii. It's magnificent. A Polish/Japanese crossover production. I love the soundtrack, the bleak colours, the cast.

... Incubus by Leslie Stevens (
1965) starring "Cap'n Kirk" Shatner in a b/w independent "horror" flick (he's already overacting). Probably the only movie with all dialogue in Esperanto . If it's strangeness that you are after, this is it. I like it.

... French horror director Jean Rollin. His movies are very unique and unusual. Mostly vampire stuff, atmospheric, bizzare, much nudity/sex, sometimes cheesy. I'm thinking of Grapes Of Death or The Living Dead Girl. Rollin's movies are not really favourites though. I actually prefer Italian classics, like Bava, Argento (love Suspiria!!).

Welcome! some great pick's there,i'm a big Italian horror fan too,Argento being number one,follwed by Bava and Fulci.THE BEYOND by Lucio Fulci is one strange zombie flick worth seeing if you hav'nt already.SUSPIRIA and INFERNO By Dario Argento are classic gothic weird horror at it's best.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 5/2/2007 4:34:48 PM >

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 84
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 7:09:46 PM   
dj vivace

On the subject of the word Gothic, has anyone seen Ken Russells film of the same name? IT IS BLOODY STRANGE!! Great little film, but very odd, i mean how could it not be just a little weird with Julian Sands in it?

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 85
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 7:20:51 PM   
evil bill

Excllent Ken Russel movie,with Gabrial Byrne as lord Byron who get's his friends high on drugs(OPIUM) which leads to Shelly's Frankensten and Polidon's Vampyre,two classic books.It's full of Ken's trade mark weridness with lots of nightmare scenes,and life/ death images.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 86
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 5/2/2007 9:38:17 PM   
Dr Lenera

Some of my favourite films of this nature are
Santa Sangre  Alexander Jodorowsky's bizarre circus-set horror thriller,sort of like Fellini meets Argento! El Topo and Holy Mountain are even wierder,but I prefer Santa Sangre,it does,kind of,make sense,and deep down is quite sad and moving too. And what film other film has a 'hero' who is incestuous,a serial killer and a possible necrophilia too and yet you still synpathize with him?

Lisa and the Devil  Great Italian horror director Mario Bava's last completed film,a weird house where events are repeated,Telly Savalas as a lollipop sucking Devil,dummies who come to life,time travelriencarnation,little of it makes sense,but it's such a beautiful movie!

The Lair Of The White Worm  Russell's afore-mentioned Altered States and The Devils are pretty amazing but I also love this balmy little horror movie,which Hugh Grant probably likes to forget but could be his best movie! Especially like Amanda Donohue's snakewoman biting schoolboys between the legs and dancing to a snakecharmer's music.

The Man Who Fell To Earth Most of Nic Roeg's films are pretty strange as he usually makes even the simplest story seem complex through strange editing, but this is my favourite,David Bowie is perfect casting as an alien,and it has one of my favourite wierd moments in any film-Bowie and his girlfriend are travelling along in a car,and for some reason we cut to a pioneer family hundreds of years ago,than back to the present,than back again!

Brazil  I'm sure we've all seen this,but it is bloody weird,one of my top ten films and Terry Gilliam's masterpiece

Attack of the Mushroom People I'm a big fan of Japan's Godzilla films,but this film by the same studio is even odder,sort of a cross between Lord Of The Flies and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. People are shipwrecked on an island,and turn into giant-well,you've read the title!

Orlando  Tilda Swinton lives through four centuries,possibly or possibly not travelling through time,and half way through goes to sleep a man and awakes as a woman,saying "No difference at all ,just a different sex".

Will probably think of more later!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 87
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/2/2007 1:38:00 AM   
Kira

quote:

Welcome! some great pick's there,i'm a big Italian horror fan too,Argento being number one,follwed by Bava and Fulci.THE BEYOND by Lucio Fulci is one strange zombie flick worth seeing if you hav'nt already.SUSPIRIA and INFERNO By Dario Argento are classic gothic weird horror at it's best.

Thanks for the warm welcome!    Argento is definitely the maestro. I somehow managed not to see many Fulci movies. Just Zombie and the one with lotsa worms, City of the Living Dead. The Beyond is probably even gorier ?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 88
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/2/2007 2:06:53 AM   
Kira

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

On the subject of the word Gothic, has anyone seen Ken Russells film of the same name? IT IS BLOODY STRANGE!! Great little film, but very odd, i mean how could it not be just a little weird with Julian Sands in it?

visual delirium, hallucinating people, leeches and gnomes in country estates are always appreciated

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 89
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 6/2/2007 4:20:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kira

quote:

Thanks for the warm welcome!    Argento is definitely the maestro. I somehow managed not to see many Fulci movies. Just Zombie and the one with lotsa worms, City of the Living Dead. The Beyond is probably even gorier ?

Yes! it's pretty gory and strange,it tells the story of a young woman who inherits a rundown hotel on the edge of a louisana swamp.She is unaware that it is the gateway to hell,and so begins a nightmare fight for life,straight out of a lovecraft's book EIBON,the living dead lay claim to the gateway and all souls around the hotel.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI