Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/12/2006 2:58:43 AM   
Lydia_H

Begotten is a good suggestion, it has style, expensive but worth it for the sake of originality, and Jarman's Jubilee's is a worthy film as well

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 31
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/12/2006 7:43:08 PM   
dj vivace

I mentioned Rawhead Rex earlier in this thread. Is there no one else out there who likes it?

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 32
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 28/12/2006 8:46:54 PM   
BobM70

Eraserhead by David Lynch. That's one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. And Bodyhammer was totally freaked out too.

bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 33
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 12:23:26 PM   
evil bill

Loved ERASERHEAD it was a warning shot of what mr Lynch had in store for us,i rember seeing it for the first time on tv.And all i could do was think this could'nt be the same guy that did Elephant Man,but it was and what a weird movie.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 34
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 12:29:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

I mentioned Rawhead Rex earlier in this thread. Is there no one else out there who likes it?
I rember seeing this one on BBC2 late night movie a number of years ago who was it directed by.Alex Cox interduced it as one of his personal favorites,he's made a couple of weird movies himself,REPO MAN and STRAIGHT TO HELL.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 29/12/2006 12:30:29 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 35
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 2:13:58 PM   
Hot Hobbit

I have never been a big fan of weird movies but then i saw Donnie Darko and it was super weird, strange in so many levels and just... WONDERFUL

What we do in life...
echoes in eternity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhSYrXOxN90

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 36
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 2:30:28 PM   
Gothzilla

i recently watched a quite nice but quirky movie. The Jacket. Starring Adrian Brody, Kiera Knightly and Kris Kristofferson. It plays with the idea of time travel in much the same way as Donnie Darko but with a very different approach.
Not a fantastic movie but worth a watch.

It can't rain all the time.

Post #: 37
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 5:53:52 PM   
evil bill

THE JACKET was a wonderful time travel weird movie as all great timetravel movies should be,oter wise they are pointless.Good one!!!!

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 38
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 29/12/2006 7:29:59 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

I rember seeing this one on BBC2 late night movie a number of years ago who was it directed by.Alex Cox interduced it as one of his personal favorites,he's made a couple of weird movies himself,REPO MAN and STRAIGHT TO HELL.

It's directed by George Pavlou, its british. It's about a beast who gets let loose when a sacred stone is moved from a field. The creature from hell then goes on a rampage killing everyone in his way. Its got some really scary moments in it, especially the shots in broad daylight, the fact its in the day in some quiet contry village makes it quite unsettling. Of course there's plenty of shots at night too. The screenplay was by non other than Clive Barker

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 39
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 3/1/2007 4:48:31 PM   
evil bill

Have you ever seen KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE,just watched it at a friends house great fun truly weird,remined me of that other strange movie ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES.Except Klowns had more goreand better effects?..

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 40
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 10:24:16 AM   
dj vivace

Not seen either of them but i've heard of the Killer Tomatoes one. By the way, Masters Of Horror part 2 with Dario Argento, Tobe Hooper, John Mcnaughton and Takeshi Miike is out January 29!! Just pre ordered it from Amazon £17.99

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 41
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 2:48:05 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

Don't forget this cult masterpiece from Jennifer Chambers Lynch (daughter of David Lynch).

This is a film so awful it becomes a trashy pleasure on every level. It's undeniably crap from the very first frame - so poorly acted, with a premise that defies any reasonable suspension of disbelief. But it's very entertaining, because its such a train wreck you feel compelled to keep watching.

The plot follows a surgeon played by Juilan Sands who rescues Sherilyn Fenn from a car crash and takes her back to his mansion, where he keeps her captive by cutting off her arms and legs. He then becomes a grovelling submissive mess who is repeatedly humiliated by her and is driven to insanity. You'd think at first this was a black comedy, but its actually directed and performed in a very serious manner. Just brilliant.

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 42
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 3:00:33 PM   
Hex

I did a review for Rocky Horror Picture Show yesterday, saying how weird it was. Very little of it actually makes sense.

Also whoever mentioned Doom Generation I completely agree. Totally bizarre but, I have to admit, in a pretentious sort of a way.

My Own Private Idaho is strange aswell.

Oh and I saw a film on one night called Hotel Splendide which was off the scale in weirdness. It had brilliant cast, ( Toni Collette, Daniel Craig, Stephen Tompkinson) but it was seriously strange.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

Post #: 43
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 4:40:18 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Also whoever mentioned Doom Generation I completely agree. Totally bizarre but, I have to admit, in a pretentious sort of a way.

I thought The Doom Generation was rather conventional, in terms of narrative at least. It pretty much rips off every American "killers on the road" film, such as Natural Born Killers and Kalifornia, but lacking the overt satire of those films. With regards to the more surreal and violent scenes (the Korean man's talking severed head, the infamous 'castration' involving garden shears), I think they were included just for the purpose of shock. Gregg Araki is well known for doing that and taking a subversive attitude to his films, such as in Nowhere and Totally Fucked Up, where he even described the former as "a Beverly Hills 90120 episode on acid".

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 44
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 5:03:32 PM   
Hex

Yes Araaki isnt exactly known for making quality films.

Though Mysterious Skin is wonderful, if raw and hard to watch at times.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

Post #: 45
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 5:23:53 PM   
evil bill

Hey you beat me too it,did you know Dario has a new episode called PELTS for Masters of Horror 2 which has just aired in the USA.Also BRAVO is showing series one as we type.Bought ALTERED STATES bloody brillant mind bending fun from Ken Russel.
Explosion In The Sky i to enjoyed BOXING HELENA,i did'nt relise it was David Lynch's daughter involed in it.Good to see the master of strange has a daughter with the same werid take on the world around us.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/1/2007 5:28:48 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 46
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 5:30:47 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Yes Araaki isnt exactly known for making quality films.

Though Mysterious Skin is wonderful, if raw and hard to watch at times.

I agree the subject matter is incredibly disturbing, but Mysterious Skin is by far his most mature and satisfying work. It's the only Araki film I actually like - though maybe like isn't the appropriate word (appreciate would be better). It's a shame its taken Araki up until now to realize that his characters are strong enough to carry a film and not simply gratuitous sensationalism.

< Message edited by Explosion in the Sky -- 18/1/2007 7:46:55 PM >

~ José Saramago ~

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 47
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/1/2007 8:11:15 PM   
Gothzilla

Can I just put in a word for the two animated films based around the Final Fantasy computer games.
The first Spirits Within was wierd enough with its GAEA based plot and spectral alien ghosts from another planet but Advents Children was so mixed up in places the plot dissapeared totally.
However the animation and set pieces in both are incredible and I suggest you watch both on that basis alone.

Post #: 48
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/1/2007 12:47:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

Can I just put in a word for the two animated films based around the Final Fantasy computer games.
The first Spirits Within was wierd enough with its GAEA based plot and spectral alien ghosts from another planet but Advents Children was so mixed up in places the plot dissapeared totally.
However the animation and set pieces in both are incredible and I suggest you watch both on that basis alone.

A lot of the MANGA is far out and belongs in this thread along with the above already metioned.I saw them a while ago and they are brillantly crafted with trully weird story lines.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 49
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/1/2007 7:39:37 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Explosion in the Sky

Don't forget this cult masterpiece from Jennifer Chambers Lynch (daughter of David Lynch).

This is a film so awful it becomes a trashy pleasure on every level. It's undeniably crap from the very first frame - so poorly acted, with a premise that defies any reasonable suspension of disbelief. But it's very entertaining, because its such a train wreck you feel compelled to keep watching.

The plot follows a surgeon played by Juilan Sands who rescues Sherilyn Fenn from a car crash and takes her back to his mansion, where he keeps her captive by cutting off her arms and legs. He then becomes a grovelling submissive mess who is repeatedly humiliated by her and is driven to insanity. You'd think at first this was a black comedy, but its actually directed and performed in a very serious manner. Just brilliant.

Very odd little film but i felt there was something missing. I know what happened was bloody awful but i felt the way he was around her was a bit pathetic and it maybe my nasty side coming out but i wanted to see more anger from him, a bit more bullying. I assure you tho that i'm perfectly sane

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 50
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/1/2007 7:41:50 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Hey you beat me too it,did you know Dario has a new episode called PELTS for Masters of Horror 2 which has just aired in the USA.Also BRAVO is showing series one as we type.Bought ALTERED STATES bloody brillant mind bending fun from Ken Russel.
Explosion In The Sky i to enjoyed BOXING HELENA,i did'nt relise it was David Lynch's daughter involed in it.Good to see the master of strange has a daughter with the same werid take on the world around us.

No i didnt realise Dario Argento had done another, cool! Havent seen Altered States, i'll have to search that one out. Speaking of Dario Argento, when the bloody hell is the Church gonna be released on dvd, i'm dying to see it again

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 51
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/1/2007 7:44:05 PM   
dj vivace

Only seen this film once but if i remember it was very odd. It was called Final Approach and if i remember the whole film was a guy talking to a pyshiciatrist about flash backs he was having, and he flew a plane which i think was part of a millitary experiment. I've never seen it on dvd yet

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 52
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/1/2007 11:17:40 AM   
Gothzilla

Havent seen Altered States, i'll have to search that one out

make this your number one "thing to do" for 2007. this film is due far more praise than it gets and I believe once youve seen it you will be after it for your collection. Its ace.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 53
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/1/2007 5:53:33 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Havent seen Altered States, i'll have to search that one out

make this your number one "thing to do" for 2007. this film is due far more praise than it gets and I believe once youve seen it you will be after it for your collection. Its ace.

Done!! Just ordered from Play.com for £4.99, didnt realise it was directed by Ken Russell, should be interesting!

< Message edited by dj vivace -- 20/1/2007 5:54:30 PM >

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 54
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 22/1/2007 6:18:36 PM   
evil bill

Glad to see your on the ball,i think you'll realy enjoy this Ken Russell movie with the brillant William Hurt in fine form as the scienctist who trys some mind bending drugs.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 55
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/1/2007 7:12:41 PM   
Gothzilla

Hi folks. Ive not got a copy yet but Ive just spotted the cover of the new Total Film
( who said that ? ) and its got an article inside of the 25 wierdest films ever.
Not saying that you should be a traitor and buy a copy though.

but Im going to.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 56
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/1/2007 6:19:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Hi folks. Ive not got a copy yet but Ive just spotted the cover of the new Total Film
( who said that ? ) and its got an article inside of the 25 wierdest films ever.
Not saying that you should be a traitor and buy a copy though.

TRAITOR? no! Spy yes!We need are fill of weird so i'm off too Easons to get mine.

but Im going to.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 57
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/1/2007 6:29:09 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Only seen this film once but if i remember it was very odd. It was called Final Approach and if i remember the whole film was a guy talking to a pyshiciatrist about flash backs he was having, and he flew a plane which i think was part of a millitary experiment. I've never seen it on dvd yet

This one brings back memory's,of a party with ACID and lots of drink,and we put on this movie,me and some mates.Talk about out of your tree,we wer'nt sure if it was the drug or movie but we where spaced out of are minds and though the Pyshiciatrist was talking directly to us.Even without the aid of drugs this was one weird movie,it was one of the first VHS tapes to have digtaly enhanced sound,and made full use of the cinema suround sound system,if you had it.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 58
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 24/1/2007 7:03:02 PM   
djsmokingjam

Any lover of weird cinema owes it to themselves to see this film .  And kudos to whoever mentioned Possession earlier.

And why the hell is Rawhead Rex getting talked about in this thread?  It's just a cheap shitty monster movie, there are many other Barker films more deserving of the "weird and strange" tag.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 59
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 25/1/2007 9:44:17 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

This one brings back memory's,of a party with ACID and lots of drink,and we put on this movie,me and some mates.Talk about out of your tree,we wer'nt sure if it was the drug or movie but we where spaced out of are minds and though the Pyshiciatrist was talking directly to us.Even without the aid of drugs this was one weird movie,it was one of the first VHS tapes to have digtaly enhanced sound,and made full use of the cinema suround sound system,if you had it.

No way!!! Me and a few mates watched this on acid many years ago too and the opening credits where the writing starts as a dot in the centre of the screeen and then very quickly shoots out at you with a wooshing sound had us all falling backwards to dodge the letters in case they hit us!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI