Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? - 18/12/2006 8:09:08 PM   
evil bill

This is for all those that love weird/strange movies that others ignore or even hate,because they do'nt understand or see the fun in them.Movies like William Peter Blatty's NINTH CONFIGURATION.David Lynch's TWIN PEAKS(FIRE WALK WITH ME).Don Coscarelli's PHANTASM.Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA.Stanley Kubrick's 2001.John Carpenter's MOUTH OF MADNESS .David Cronenberg's VIDEODROME.Clive barker's HELLRASIER.These are just  a few of the movies from the masters of cult movies.There's Butterfly Effect,Jacobs Ladder,Donnie Darko and many others,all outside what is called mainstream cinema,but not hih enough art to be called art house.So what's your own favorites and why,do'nt be afraid to be werid,get them brain cell's working.Why be square when you can be strange,and mystic,but always with good humour and wonder at what drive's these filmmaker's to step out and take the risk of floping at the box office,When they could make the same brain dead blockbusters as there fellow moviemakers,or go for that big oscar in the sky.No! they love what there doing and we should admire them for taking risks that sometimes pay off,after all how else did movies move foward if risks had'nt been taken.So this is for those that love these movies not the I HATE IT! bunch that claim to be movie fans.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/1/2007 5:30:19 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/12/2006 8:19:37 PM   
dj vivace

Naked Lunch!!! What the fuck is all that about? Haven't seen it for years but i'll never forget the experience of watching it, it all felt just a little too weird and nightmarish, then it finished and then my head hurt. Great film tho.

I'm also a sucker for Rawhead Rex! I watched it again recently and forgot how great it was. It scared the shit out of me as a kid and still makes me feel uneasy now, even when you see the lightbulbs in the close up of his eyes! God i love this little gem

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 18/12/2006 11:52:11 PM   
Lydia_H

Yeah, Naked Lunch is splendid 

One of my favourite films ever is Polanski's criminally ignored The Tenant, which is his finest work imo, I've seen it so many times but have little idea what it truly was about...

El Topo and The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jodorowsky are stunning, repulsive, overwhelming spectacles but they are entirely impenetrable in terms of meaning, I will never understand them... Just watch them and be confused/disgusted

Tetsuo: The Iron Man by Shinya Tsukamoto is brilliance, but so random and boisterous, it's a little bit of a mess but that's the whole beauty of it ... Any film that ends with two men morphing into each other as their flesh turns to metal, ending in some unholy monstrosity that looks suspiciously like a gigantic, pulsating penis gets my vote Tsukomoto is an oddball all round, Hiruko the Goblin is another little gem from him, and Body Hammer

There are so many I can think of, without going into Lynch I also go to Jodorowsky and Tsukamoto, but The Tenant is my favourite ...

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 3
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 8:47:40 AM   
dj vivace

Just thought of another one, Possession starring Sam Neil and the unfortunate Isabelle Adjani. I say unforunate because she gets raped by some strange blob like thing and gets pregnant by it and Sam Neil just becomes more weird than ever. Another film that doesn't really make a lot of sense but gets under the skin. There's a very unpleasant scene with a razor blade 

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 4
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 9:18:52 AM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

Yeah, Naked Lunch is splendid 

One of my favourite films ever is Polanski's criminally ignored The Tenant, which is his finest work imo, I've seen it so many times but have little idea what it truly was about...

El Topo and The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jodorowsky are stunning, repulsive, overwhelming spectacles but they are entirely impenetrable in terms of meaning, I will never understand them... Just watch them and be confused/disgusted

Tetsuo: The Iron Man by Shinya Tsukamoto is brilliance, but so random and boisterous, it's a little bit of a mess but that's the whole beauty of it ... Any film that ends with two men morphing into each other as their flesh turns to metal, ending in some unholy monstrosity that looks suspiciously like a gigantic, pulsating penis gets my vote Tsukomoto is an oddball all round, Hiruko the Goblin is another little gem from him, and Body Hammer

There are so many I can think of, without going into Lynch I also go to Jodorowsky and Tsukamoto, but The Tenant is my favourite ...

I've seen THE TENANT and BODY HAMMER butnone of the other's must see if i can get them.Go too see your got beyond Lynch,and found some trully strange movies.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 5
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 9:25:01 AM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

Just thought of another one, Possession starring Sam Neil and the unfortunate Isabelle Adjani. I say unforunate because she gets raped by some strange blob like thing and gets pregnant by it and Sam Neil just becomes more weird than ever. Another film that doesn't really make a lot of sense but gets under the skin. There's a very unpleasant scene with a razor blade 

Great movie another overlocked Gem of a strange sick movie.remind's me of XTRO for some reason.Also enjoyed NAKED LUNCH that gave me a headace too nearly as bad as the first time i saw 2001But great picks any way and let's keep this thread rolling,to give them overlooked gems some love
Forgot too mention i did'nt miss your error about Argento region 2,i just do'nt belive in making a big thing about minior mistakes mate

< Message edited by evil bill -- 19/12/2006 9:38:07 AM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 6
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 3:35:21 PM   
Mor Del Ondel

A zed and two Noughts - by Peter Greenaway.

Safe - By Todd Haynes

All quite bizarre really.

< Message edited by Mor Del Ondel -- 19/12/2006 3:36:03 PM >

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems? Come on, big fella, let's see what you got...

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 7
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 4:42:39 PM   
evil bill

The new year is looking good for some strange cinema release's,David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.Dario Argento'S MOTHER OF TEAR'S.Taratino's GRINDHOUSE.And at three hour's we're in for a real treat from the master of weird David Lynch.

(in reply to Mor Del Ondel)
Post #: 8
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 6:57:18 PM  1 votes
amateur ghostbuster

Anything by David Cronenberg works for me.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 9
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 7:25:37 PM   
evil bill

Cronenberg a true master of the weird,movies like Videodrome,Naked Lunch,Crash and many others.Always pushing at the boundries of filmmaking,making the censors choke on there lunch.

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 10
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 9:21:55 PM   
dj vivace

evil bill you must must watch Tetsuo parts one and two as previoulsy mentioned, judging by your taste in film in reckon you'd love them but be warned they are very VERY messed up in every sense of the word. The first is in black and white which just adds to the nightmarish feel of the film, and you think Naked Lunch gave you a head ache! Go watch

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 11
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 19/12/2006 9:24:55 PM   
dj vivace

Not sure if this goes into the realm of weird but its certainly an underrated classic which never got the attention it deserved, and if it did i  missed it, but has anyone seen Death Machine with the king of weird Brad Douriff? A truely exceptionally dark piece of science fiction madness with an amazingly nasty machine which likes to kill people. Lots and lots of fun

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 12
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/12/2006 3:58:00 PM   
evil bill

DEATH MACHINE saw it some time ago on VHS ,if mermory serves me right it was great fun and fall's into the Weird no problem.Brad Doudif is the king of strange as far as acting go'es,just look at his roles.DUNE,CHILDS PLAY,THE TWO TOWERS(Lord of the RINGS) and his stand out preformance in THE EXORCIST 3(Legion)He really picks some strange roles that i must say is just perfect at.I'l try and get to see TETSUO parts one and two!?

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 13
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/12/2006 4:28:19 PM   
Lydia_H

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is brilliance, a hectic masterpiece with so much charm, so many little idea's, all these tiny, almost subliminal flashes of strange madness in amongst a rather odd story and sequence of inexplicable events and images ... It is better than Body Hammer (The sequel) which is a little more rigid and controlled I suppose ... but still very interesting! 

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/12/2006 5:34:58 PM   
evil bill

Watched your link,real strange short video.Are you French Canadain by any chance,i say this because a lot of years ago i was in Montreal Quebec,and went to a art film and music festivble and they showed some trully werid movies with some great sound tracks,somthing like the video on your link.Love Canada by the way have some family out in Toronto and Barrie.And one of my Favourite Directors is Cronenberg.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 15
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/12/2006 5:41:44 PM   
Lydia_H

I'm English, my fiance recently got promoted and was offered the chance to work out here ... I like Canada too but I miss Nottingham ... I live in Alberta, I haven't explored the place yet but I really want to visit places like Toronto and Montreal

The music video in my sig is by my favourite director, Gaspar Noe, who gave us Irreversible and I Stand Alone ... I'm not fond of the song, but the camera work is sensational I think

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 20/12/2006 5:50:59 PM   
evil bill

I recomend you vist both cities,they are so clean and you can tell how much pride they have for there country.Some Brillant Cinemas out there huge screens and top notch sound systems.I saw NATURAL BORN KILLERS uncut in Montreal that is the English speaking part of the city.The sound and images where mind blowing on the huge screen me and the wife saw it on.It's sad that we still having got the full uncut version that was only seen in Canada and main land Europe,even the US cut it just so it would get the R rating.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 17
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 12:42:52 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

DEATH MACHINE saw it some time ago on VHS ,if mermory serves me right it was great fun and fall's into the Weird no problem.Brad Doudif is the king of strange as far as acting go'es,just look at his roles.DUNE,CHILDS PLAY,THE TWO TOWERS(Lord of the RINGS) and his stand out preformance in THE EXORCIST 3(Legion)He really picks some strange roles that i must say is just perfect at.I'l try and get to see TETSUO parts one and two!?

Please please watch Tetsuo   On the subject of Brad Douriff, we've forgotten one of his best performances, not sure if it was his debut or not tho, as Billy in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. One great actor in one truely exceptional film

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 18
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 1:02:27 PM   
evil bill

HOW the hell did i forget his trully great preformance in One Flew Over The Cukoo's NestTETSUO is it avable on DVD region 2 and if so where do i pick it up and burn the Credit card a bit more.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 19
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 1:19:11 PM   
EVILSPEAK

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 20
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 1:22:28 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

HOW the hell did i forget his trully great preformance in One Flew Over The Cukoo's NestTETSUO is it avable on DVD region 2 and if so where do i pick it up and burn the Credit card a bit more.

Amazon have them both listed, Tetsuo 1 is £16.99 or £6.65 second hand, and part 2 is £14.99 or £5.78 second hand

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 2:12:23 PM   
Gothzilla

In no particular order.
Lost Highway
Dark City
Society
Altered States
Delicatessen
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Gothic
Momento

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 22
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 2:51:40 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

In no particular order.
Lost Highway
Dark City
Society
Altered States
Delicatessen
Gothic
Momento

No way! Theres a bloody weird little film, is it available on dvd yet? Julian Sands, the king of weird. I always remember seeing the cover as a kid, it had a woman lying on a bed with the little creature thing sat on top of her and i was never allowed to watch it but i eventually did. I own it on vhs but dont have a video player anymore

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 23
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 3:18:08 PM   
M.V.P.

For me it has to be Nowhere and Doom Generation by Gregg Araki. Two weird, but cool films.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 24
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 3:30:20 PM   
Gothzilla

quote:

No way! Theres a bloody weird little film, is it available on dvd yet?

Dont think it is but.....what a freaky little movie.

(in reply to M.V.P.)
Post #: 25
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 3:54:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

In no particular order.
Lost Highway
Dark City
Society
Altered States
Delicatessen
Gothic
Momento

Both movies by are own British king of weird Ken Russell,GOTHIC being just brillant followed by ALTERED STATES,THE DEVILS,TOMMY,LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM etc i could list abot ten i've seen over the years in the cinema,video and chanel 4.I think you can still get Gothic on dvd it was avable a couple of years back.?

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 26
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 5:39:25 PM   
Gothzilla

Gothic.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gothic-Gabriel-Byrne/dp/B000924BSQ/sr=8-2/qid=1166722579/ref=pd_ka_2/202-7409460-9585403?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 27
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 21/12/2006 8:47:51 PM   
dj vivace

Nice one, will have to get that ordered

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 28
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/12/2006 12:47:28 AM   
hozay

All the following freaked me out one way or another and had me wondering WTF happened there.

Arlington Road
Slaughterhouse 5
Jacobs Ladder
The Illustrated Man
Donnie Darko
Eraserhead
The Bad Seed (original)
Carnival Of Souls
Blue Velvet
Dark City

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 29
RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? - 23/12/2006 2:21:29 AM   
Explosion in the Sky

I'm a little disappointed at the rather obvious choices so far - no mention of Derek Jarman? and where's Aria? (a compilation of ten short films by Godard, Altman, and Ken Russell, to name but a few), where's Jan Svankmajer's surrealist interpretation of Alice in Wonderland? 

Anyway, for those wishing to delve deeper into avant-garde cinema then this film, Begotten, is a good starting point. 

Believe me when I say it defies written description. Containing no dialogue, and altered in post-production to resemble a 1920's silent horror film, it lingers in the subconsciousness long after watching. A memorable quote from one critic - "It makes Eraserhead look like Ernest Saves Christmas."

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI