Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 25/10/2012 7:35:03 PM   
superdan

Fair points Prof, but I'm still not sure I'm entirely convinced. I'm honestly not sure about the progress the club is making under Mankini. Sure, he's moved them on from Mark Hughes, but that really is damning with faint praise. He just about managed to salvage the league from United at the 11th hour (a decidedly poor United, lest it be forgotten), but the CL has shown him up repeatedly now. I'm not saying he should be shown the door right away, or even this season, but if they go out of the CL at the group stage again and finish the season trophyless, would it not be reasonable to question his position then?

He might go on to do the Double or something this season in which case fair enough, but I rather doubt it. He doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of what is (IMO) one of the best squads in Europe, which may or may not have to do with his, ah, unconventional approach to man management

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 991
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 25/10/2012 8:44:01 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Fair points Prof, but I'm still not sure I'm entirely convinced. I'm honestly not sure about the progress the club is making under Mankini. Sure, he's moved them on from Mark Hughes, but that really is damning with faint praise. He just about managed to salvage the league from United at the 11th hour (a decidedly poor United, lest it be forgotten), but the CL has shown him up repeatedly now. I'm not saying he should be shown the door right away, or even this season, but if they go out of the CL at the group stage again and finish the season trophyless, would it not be reasonable to question his position then?

He might go on to do the Double or something this season in which case fair enough, but I rather doubt it. He doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of what is (IMO) one of the best squads in Europe, which may or may not have to do with his, ah, unconventional approach to man management

What does that make everyone else?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 992
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 25/10/2012 8:59:12 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

What does that make everyone else?

It's all relative. I think most people would agree that what Fergie has been working with for the last couple of seasons is not exactly vintage Manchester United.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 993
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 25/10/2012 9:07:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate a bit Dan. I see where you are going, but I still think some of the criticism is harsh. Can't be bothered to look it up, but did Wenger make a CL final? Ferguson hasn't dominated in Europe like he has at home. No team has won the CL twice in a row.

I think that unless there is a melt down he gets another season. The owners don't want to be another Abramovich shipping them in and out all the time and a new manager will only require more players coming in at a time City are trying to ease their wage bill.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 994
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 25/10/2012 9:19:01 PM   
matty_b

Wenger got Arsenal to the 2006 CL final. Lost to Barcelona.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 995
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 26/10/2012 9:03:53 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate a bit Dan. I see where you are going, but I still think some of the criticism is harsh. Can't be bothered to look it up, but did Wenger make a CL final? Ferguson hasn't dominated in Europe like he has at home. No team has won the CL twice in a row.
I think that unless there is a melt down he gets another season. The owners don't want to be another Abramovich shipping them in and out all the time and a new manager will only require more players coming in at a time City are trying to ease their wage bill.

In it's current format but teams have won the European cup back to back in the past.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 996
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 26/10/2012 9:45:18 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

In it's current format but teams have won the European cup back to back in the past.

But you could say that the overall quality wasn't as good as it is today.All subjective though.

The CL is a tough,tough cup competition but I feel its a tad overrated by some as I still see the PL far more of interest to the bigger English sides in there search for success.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 997
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 26/10/2012 11:26:43 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

But you could say that the overall quality wasn't as good as it is today.All subjective though.

True, but you could always say it was harder for the likes of Liverpool and Forest (and everyone else who won the old Europeon Cup) as it was a knock-out competition back then, the squads didn't have the depth they do today (yet you never heard the likes of Bob Paisley coming out with the 'midweek hangover' bollocks so fond of managers these days) and half the players were chain-smoking pisshead with moustaches.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 998
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 27/10/2012 5:10:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Would have won it too if not for Crazy Jens.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 999
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 28/10/2012 1:12:19 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Na Barca would've still found a way.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1000
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/10/2012 8:33:52 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Txiki Begiristain as director of football, a big appointment and leading to a lot of speculation that Pep will follow.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1001
RE: Man City Thread - 2011/12 Champions - 3/11/2012 7:11:13 PM   
Sutty

who is the geordie fella who does the commentary with Jon Champion on ESPN? What a cunt

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 1002
RE: Man City Thread - 2011/12 Champions - 4/11/2012 12:30:11 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

who is the geordie fella who does the commentary with Jon Champion on ESPN? What a cunt

I always thought it was Waddle, probably wrong though.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1003
RE: Man City Thread - 2011/12 Champions - 4/11/2012 1:49:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I always thought it was Waddle, probably wrong though.

That sounds right. All I could think of was Warren Barton

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1004
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 4/11/2012 2:31:31 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Putting the Barca-tinted glasses to one side, that wasn't the great Pep-led side that would go on to dominate European football a couple of years later. They just about scraped past Milan, Benfica and Chelsea, while Arsenal beat Real at the Bernabeu and outclassed Juventus. Arsenal were also the better team in the final and led for the majority of the match. The '06 Barca team were obviously good enough to reach the final, but they certainly weren't as good as you're suggesting they were.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1005
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 5/11/2012 12:40:52 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Putting the Barca-tinted glasses to one side, that wasn't the great Pep-led side that would go on to dominate European football a couple of years later. They just about scraped past Milan, Benfica and Chelsea, while Arsenal beat Real at the Bernabeu and outclassed Juventus. Arsenal were also the better team in the final and led for the majority of the match. The '06 Barca team were obviously good enough to reach the final, but they certainly weren't as good as you're suggesting they were.

They still had a classy side with very good players that would have still more than matched a very good Arsenal team.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1006
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 11/11/2012 5:05:45 PM   
Sutty

good win for the might blues against spurs today at the etihad. Could have had three or four in the end. Ithink that both Utd and City are playing poor defensively and it could be the january transfer window and who brings in who that makes the difference. Gonna a be another nail biter it feels!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1007
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 22/11/2012 3:48:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I find it interesting that Mancini thinks his job is so safe.

I didn't see them this week, but I watched their games against Ajax and there were times in those games they were played off the park. A second failure in two years to qualify from the first round group is poor. To not win a game is even poorer.

Domestically I'm not entirely sure if top of the league tells the true story. I think they've only played two teams in the top 6, a win against WBA and a draw against Arsenal. Chelsea, Everton and Utd are 3 of the next 4 games. I do expect City to do well over these, but if they (for the sake of argument) were to lose them all I wonder how safe Mancini would be feeling then.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1008
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 5/12/2012 11:00:53 AM   
Professor Moriarty

A draw against Chelsea and a draw against Everton isn't spectacular league form for a team that really should be playing and scoring freely now. I know that when you are champions everyone wants your scalp, but this team should really be playing with some flair and style. To me it is very worrying that a number of players at City seem to have taken a large step backwards this year in terms of their performances as individuals, as well as a team, when they should be full of confidence and kicking on to become even better.

Such an interesting game on Sunday as Chelsea's recent dip in form has started to make this season look like a two-horse race. Ferguson will have been desperate to have Vidic back, but that is not happening. I thought that last season Fergie made a big (possibly title-losing) mistake by setting out to play defensively against City. Very uncharacteristic of the man who normally goes for a win. So with Utd so weak at the back recently it will be really interesting to see if he defends deep and tries to cover the defenders or if he just tries to win 5-4 by throwing everything into an attacking formation.

For City to be having trouble retaining their title is forgivable (though I still think there squad is considerably stronger than Utds or anyone else's). But to not win a game in the CL and finish bottom of the group is imo really terrible. And whatever noises come out of Eastlands, I can only think that the pressure is really on Mancini for back to back titles to keep his job. I think that City have made all the right noises to attract Pep, they have shown a long term vision in not swapping managers every month, they have shown a desire to build slowly, they have been spending on developing youth and they have brought in some of the Barcelona hierarchy. Personally I think we could well be looking at a Manchester derby next year that is Pep against Jose and I'd find that pretty exciting prospect.

Post #: 1009
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 5/12/2012 12:15:31 PM   
Peter Griffin

Pep or Mourinho will be in charge next season regardless what Mancini wins this, which i think is wrong but i don't own the club and they want to be top dogs in europe.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

Post #: 1010
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 26/12/2012 10:53:34 PM   
directorscut

Oh Joe.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 1011
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/1/2013 6:37:31 PM   
Sutty

Looks like Balotelli is gone. Surely to goodness we will bring in another striker in this window?!?! You need four strikers to maintain a full on challenge. And Aguero has been slightly injury prone this season.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1012
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/1/2013 7:00:36 PM   
Scott_

I'm actually quite upset Balotelli has gone. Who is gonna fill his batshit insane boots and entertain us all?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1013
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/1/2013 7:21:14 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Looks like Balotelli is gone. Surely to goodness we will bring in another striker in this window?!?! You need four strikers to maintain a full on challenge. And Aguero has been slightly injury prone this season.

Perhaps you could keep the cash in your bank for once and play one of your younger players. Guidetti had a stonking season on loan at Feyenoord last season, surely he deserves a chance to prove himself at City when the opportunity arrises? It would also make a refreshing change to see a player like that work his way into the team rather than spending tens of millions on a mercenary replacement.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1014
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/1/2013 9:16:17 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Perhaps you could keep the cash in your bank for once and play one of your younger players. Guidetti had a stonking season on loan at Feyenoord last season, surely he deserves a chance to prove himself at City when the opportunity arrises? It would also make a refreshing change to see a player like that work his way into the team rather than spending tens of millions on a mercenary replacement.

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you're a yoonited fan...

Anyway, there is a world of difference for a player to spend a season in the dutch league than it is to suddenly be thrust in to a title defending campaign midway through, in an effort to "blood him". Perhaps this is why Fergie bought Zaha and then allowed him to stay with Palace for the rest of the season?  Am I to assume also that you think of Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Juan Veron, Van Nistelrooy, De Gea, and the like as mercenaries too? Since they too joined a club for "tens of millions"?

Personally, I think we need a seasoned pro to replace Balotelli at this present time. Guidetti's chance will come, maybe just not right now.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 1015
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 29/1/2013 9:52:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Who says City need more fire power up front? ..... Oh

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1016
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 30/1/2013 8:21:05 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

I'm actually quite upset Balotelli has gone. Who is gonna fill his batshit insane boots and entertain us all?

Im ready and willing to take on this role and to accept the wages that go with it.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 1017
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 31/1/2013 10:24:55 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you're a yoonited fan...

Anyway, there is a world of difference for a player to spend a season in the dutch league than it is to suddenly be thrust in to a title defending campaign midway through, in an effort to "blood him". Perhaps this is why Fergie bought Zaha and then allowed him to stay with Palace for the rest of the season? Am I to assume also that you think of Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Juan Veron, Van Nistelrooy, De Gea, and the like as mercenaries too? Since they too joined a club for "tens of millions"?

Personally, I think we need a seasoned pro to replace Balotelli at this present time. Guidetti's chance will come, maybe just not right now.

I'm going to guess that in your head that's somehow a go to argument for you whenever you're in a footballing discussion.

What does it matter if you're defending the title this season? If you're defending the title does that really mean the only new players you can introduce to a team are ones you buy in? That's ridiculous, it's far more disruptive to introduce a new player to a squad in January, he has to get used to the location, the staff, the training regime, and he has to gel with the team and tactics. A young player who's training with your squad every day will know the players, will know all about every day life at the club and will have played with the players at training.

If you can't use him during a title defending season can you use him in one where you're trying to win the title back? Because that'll rule him out of next season too, you may as well call him a lost cause already and get rid of him. He'd be replacing Balotelli who has been far from consistent all season, and has produced a whole 1 assist in all his time at City.

That list of players you have put above is neither here nor there, I'm not saying every player who moves for big money is a mercenary, my argument is clear from your response, you're far too reliant on buying players than you are bleeding through your own, if you look at your own squad the only two players you have that have worked their way into your squad are Hart and Richards, the rest have been bought in.

You can mention all the United players who have been bought for big money all you want, yet our current squad contains 7 players who have worked their way through the youth ranks and we also have a number more who we bought in at young ages (16-18) and have worked their way into the team such as Rafael.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1018
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI