Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 5:31:00 PM   
Olaf

I should say that I do rate Parker as well, he's shown his ability by being able to come into a top four club so seamlessly after being in a relegation fight all last year. That said, I think Lucas and Song are perhaps the two most underrated players in that position playing in the PL at the moment - Liverpool's performances without him this season being a testament to how important he is to their midfield. Song has come on massively the last two seasons for me, he can still be defensively suspect but he's not really playing the DM role in our current setup - more of an out and out box-to-box player, with more defensive duties than the player in front of him in our central three. I know I've gone on about Arteta a bit this season, but I think he's been essential to Song's development over the few months: he gives a similar sort of composure that Parker brings to Spurs, which frees up Song to get forward more and lay off some of those sexy chipped throughballs (his assist for Walcott yesterday, woof).

< Message edited by Olaf -- 25/3/2012 5:32:11 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 901
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 5:56:34 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Parker doesn't hurtle around the pitch, he's not a headless chicken by any means, he's just got swift movement and can read the situations well, take the way he played at Chelsea yesterday in the first half where Spurs were struggling and he kept his composure and got them out of trouble on more than a couple of occasions with his tackling, neat ball control and accurate passing, he rarely gives the ball away.

I'm not saying he's a headless chicken, but he certainly has to move around the pitch more than Lucas does. A sign of a top top top player in that position is that they don't need to. You almost don't realise they're there because they intercept and patrol a small area due to their positioning.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 902
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 6:09:12 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Parker doesn't hurtle around the pitch, he's not a headless chicken by any means, he's just got swift movement and can read the situations well, take the way he played at Chelsea yesterday in the first half where Spurs were struggling and he kept his composure and got them out of trouble on more than a couple of occasions with his tackling, neat ball control and accurate passing, he rarely gives the ball away.

I'm not saying he's a headless chicken, but he certainly has to move around the pitch more than Lucas does. A sign of a top top top player in that position is that they don't need to. You almost don't realise they're there because they intercept and patrol a small area due to their positioning.

But it shows Parker to be the player he is, by the fact he can pretty much roam free in midfield, whilst he may be down on the teamsheet in a central role, it's his ability to move across all areas and control periods of player for Spurs that make him the better player, I'm sure he could stay in one area if you wanted him to but that would not be utilizing fully the talents he has.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 903
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:18:09 PM   
Scott_

Lucas > Parker > Song (cos he's more creative than defensive innit)

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 904
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:23:18 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Parker can be very creative as well, his removed a bit by the job he needs to do at Spurs, but for us he was more of an attacking than defensive midfielder and he was a huge part of our success in the premiership for seven seasons. I remember one game where he ripped Everton's defence apart on two seperate occasions, they just couldn't get the ball off him as he dribbled his way in and out of the box and set up both our goals. I also remember him and PDC's destruction job on Chelsea in the 4-2 Boxing Day victory and the way he led from the front on 'Black Sabbath' when we did Olaf's boys 4-2 in their own backyard. I seem to remember even Thierry Henry admitting that day that Parker had been simply awesome.

I'd like to see Parker get forward a bit more but both West Ham and Spurs wanted him in that holding role for obvious reasons and that's fair enough. When you see Parker cut open the heart of midfield and dink the ball through for Adebayor or smash one in from 30 odd yards into the far corner you'll see what I mean.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 905
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:29:08 PM   
directorscut

The holding role is a piece of shit reserved for wieners like Busquets.

Parker was much better at West Ham, he played like a genuine midfielder whereas now Redknapp keeps him in a defensive role 90% of the time.

But yeah, Song is well better than both of them. Those passes to van Persie for his two volleys prove this.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 906
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:36:03 PM   
Scott_

Shit, did I use those little arrow things right? this '>' means better right? Bloody kids and thier fancy internet lingo....

Anyway, I know Parker can attack and I've always thought he was ace but I think Lucas reads the game better and when your charged with holding things together in midfield for Brazil then you must have some talent. Liverpool have suffered without him and they'll look much better with him back in the team so yeah, Lucas is better than Parker who is better than Song.

Desperately Average is probably the best description of Gareth Barry too, I still laugh at the way Ozil just ran past him at the WC. I've never seen a footballer move so slow...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 907
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:46:20 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Parker was much better at West Ham, he played like a genuine midfielder whereas now Redknapp keeps him in a defensive role 90% of the time.

But yeah, Song is well better than both of them. Those passes to van Persie for his two volleys prove this.

Not if the holding role is done properly, like Makelele did for so many years at Real Madrid.

Parker's best period at a club was still Charlton, says I! Pah, Parker managed to set up wonderful goals for players with far less class against superb defences as a premiership player with us. This I feel makes him the better player.

quote:

Shit, did I use those little arrow things right? this '>' means better right? Bloody kids and thier fancy internet lingo....

I'm not sure, I think so......wait........maybe....oh, I don't know either mate!

quote:

Anyway, I know Parker can attack and I've always thought he was ace but I think Lucas reads the game better and when your charged with holding things together in midfield for Brazil then you must have some talent. Liverpool have suffered without him and they'll look much better with him back in the team so yeah, Lucas is better than Parker who is better than Song.

Desperately Average is probably the best description of Gareth Barry too, I still laugh at the way Ozil just ran past him at the WC. I've never seen a footballer move so slow...

I'm looking forward to seeing what Parker can do at Euro 2012, it's an utter disgrace it's the first major tournament he's going too and Sven and Capello should hang their heads in shame. I feel Parker's the better of the three but who cares really, this is after all the Man City thread and I don't think any of them play for City. Although I think the overriding fact here was that they are all, without a shadow of a doubt, far better than Barry!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 908
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:49:17 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Considering how rubbish Brazil have been over the past few years, not really.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 909
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:51:24 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

Considering how rubbish Brazil have been over the past few years, not really.

I was going to say that. Has anyone seen the clash of egos that is Pele and Maradona of late? "He must have taken the wrong medication to say something like that!"

Post #: 910
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:52:08 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Not if the holding role is done properly, like Makelele did for so many years at Real Madrid.

Ugh.

Makelele is one of the most overrated players in the history of the game. Ever.

Never has a player who only played 50% of the game been more unjustly praise.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 911
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:55:21 PM   
Scott_

Pffft, your logic doesn't belong here.

Post #: 912
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 7:56:30 PM   
Goodfella

I was a huge fan of Makelele, he sold me on the holding role as a proper position within the game.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 913
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 8:41:15 PM   
horribleives

I'm glad Parker's come on leaps and bounds for everyone else 'cos he was fucking shite for us.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 914
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 9:16:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ugh.

Your wrong - he won practically everything with Madrid and then they noticeably dropped off after his departure. He was rated one of the most important members of the side by none other than Zidane - he came over to Chelsea and won a couple of PL titles as well lest we forget.

Post #: 915
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 25/3/2012 9:37:01 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ugh.

Bloody hell, here's me thinking your Joe Hart comments were taking the piss.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 916
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 26/3/2012 10:09:51 AM   
Olaf

quote:

This is quite an interesting link I came across yesterday: http://news.arseblog.com/2012/03/liverpool-1-2-arsenal-by-the-numbers/

The only player in an English team in the top ten European successful throughballs per game apparently. And the writer correctly points out how eerily similar his stats are to Cesc. I reckon that part of the reason why Song is so underrated is that his role in the team isn't as easy to define as DM/AM/etc; I've heard some fans say that he's not a defensive midfielder which I think is still inaccurate (looking at his tackles/interceptions per game shows this), but he's definitely not a conventional holding player. The inclusion of Arteta has been integral to finally making what Song does work properly the last few months - considering plenty of people (myself included) have been crying about replacing Gilberto for years and years now, it's good to have some sort of solution (even if it's not the one we expected).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 917
RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 - 26/3/2012 2:57:03 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Seriously Lucas is better, his positioning is far better for a start. Too often Parker has to go running around because he couldn't read the play whereas Lucas can. Lucas can also dominate a midfield more effectively, negating the main creative threat and spreading the play about.

No, Parker goes running around to sweep up other players' messes, he patrols the middle of the field well and can be that box to box player every club needs, I'd say his variety of positioning and the way he can move across the park is what makes him the player he is, certainly did at Charlton. Lucas, on the other hand, is very inconsistent and from what I hear, far from a fan favourite up at Anfield.

You hear wrong. He was voted player of the season last year by the fans. He has come on leaps and bounds since Masch has left and been a big miss for us this season.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 918
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 30/3/2012 9:02:51 PM   
Sutty

So what's this "silly injury" that Aguerro has picked up, putting him out of tomorrows game? Mancini was asked about it in a press conference earlier today and could barely contain himself from laughing. Still wouldn't say though...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 919
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 30/3/2012 9:15:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

If this is a sweepstake I'll go for "doing the hoovering naked, when he tripped and..."

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 920
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 2/4/2012 3:27:57 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

So what's this "silly injury" that Aguerro has picked up, putting him out of tomorrows game? Mancini was asked about it in a press conference earlier today and could barely contain himself from laughing. Still wouldn't say though...

Think it was a reaction to some foot spray he used.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 921
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 2/4/2012 4:39:25 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

I heard he'd fallen off his mate's motorbike or something?

We had some silly injuries in our time, Darren Bent mainly. Fell through the glass table in his living room after playing star wars with either his son or nephew (can't remember which) and the other time when he sliced the top of his hand making a sandwich (christ knows how that keeps you out of two games but there we go...), the worst part was he tried to make some clever quip to the newspaper reporters about the latter that it was his wife's fault because "she wasn't at home to make it for him." Charlton ladies were less than impressed.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 922
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 9/4/2012 11:14:18 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I said this right from the start - Man City's owners are total bellends and the massive fuckup that is the loss of the PL title (and the lack of success generally) is down to them.

1. They kept on Mark Hughes for about a year too long - a stark indication of their incompetence.
2. When they finally 'woke up' they signed the world beater that is Mancini, who has spent about twice as much as he should have and not even managed to make it out of the Champs League group stages let alone win the league .

I just wanna say I like Man City and I don't have any problem with teams buying their way to success - hell every successful club in Europe spends shitloads, but Man City have proven beyond any doubt that some people have more money than sense....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 923
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 9/4/2012 11:20:12 AM   
emogeek

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

I heard he'd fallen off his mate's motorbike or something?

We had some silly injuries in our time, Darren Bent mainly. Fell through the glass table in his living room after playing star wars with either his son or nephew (can't remember which) and the other time when he sliced the top of his hand making a sandwich (christ knows how that keeps you out of two games but there we go...), the worst part was he tried to make some clever quip to the newspaper reporters about the latter that it was his wife's fault because "she wasn't at home to make it for him." Charlton ladies were less than impressed.

When it comes to "you daft bugger" injuries, you can't top Michael Stensgaard, Liverpool's former reserve keeper.

Dislocated his shoulder setting up an ironing board, and pretty much ended his career.

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 924
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 9/4/2012 8:33:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I said this right from the start - Man City's owners are total bellends and the massive fuckup that is the loss of the PL title (and the lack of success generally) is down to them.

1. They kept on Mark Hughes for about a year too long - a stark indication of their incompetence.
2. When they finally 'woke up' they signed the world beater that is Mancini, who has spent about twice as much as he should have and not even managed to make it out of the Champs League group stages let alone win the league .

I just wanna say I like Man City and I don't have any problem with teams buying their way to success - hell every successful club in Europe spends shitloads, but Man City have proven beyond any doubt that some people have more money than sense....

Gosh. When it comes to reasons City didn't win the league this season, I didn't expect it to be the owners getting the finger pointed at them.

While I agree with you about Hughes, I can see that the owners didn't want to come in as these guys who just throw the old out straight away, and also I don't know how good their soccer knowledge was, but I can really see the argument for not rocking the boat too soon.

Mancini has made a pigs ear of it, let's be honest. I think failing to clear the group stages of the CL was the least of his failures. Everyone said it was a tough group, first time in the CL, etc. But the falling out with Tevez, the failure to keep players fit, the tactics and lack of drive recently, the way Balotelli seems to have divided the squad. Big mistakes in a league City should have walked this season.

I still think they'll keep Mancini for another season (or at least he'll start next season).

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 925
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 14/4/2012 3:13:33 PM   
Saltire

City looking impressive again these last couple of games; playing with a freedom we haven't seen from them in a few months...

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 926
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 15/4/2012 9:31:01 AM   
Skiba

Tevez is without doubt a fucking class player but the one club in world football who could've made a statement about the whole thing is City...but in all honest I couldn't give a shit because I like watching him play!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 927
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 15/4/2012 11:33:53 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Tevez is without doubt a fucking class player but the one club in world football who could've made a statement about the whole thing is City...but in all honest I couldn't give a shit because I like watching him play!

City are a joke on this Tevez issue.
Though its nice to see there fans have forgotten the circumstances which Tevez made City into abit of a laughing stock during those 4 months.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 928
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 15/4/2012 11:38:03 AM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Though its nice to see there fans have forgotten the circumstances which Tevez made City into abit of a laughing stock during those 4 months.

Football fans in "fickle" shocker....

I mean, if Wayne Rooney were to suddenly come out, demand a transfer, openly criticise the clubs transfer policy and then come out of it with a massive pay rise, the United fans would never forgive him...

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 929
RE: Man City Thread - 2009/2010 - 15/4/2012 11:56:35 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Football fans in "fickle" shocker....

I mean, if Wayne Rooney were to suddenly come out, demand a transfer, openly criticise the clubs transfer policy and then come out of it with a massive pay rise, the United fans would never forgive him...

To be fair there is still a section of United fans that boo and openly call him a "scouse b*stard" at OT.
But yep football fans are fickle.
Who you could be praising today could be your enemy tommowow,in that sense football fans and footballers deserve each-other.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 15/4/2012 11:59:59 AM >

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Man City Thread - 2007/08 Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI