Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  393 394 [395] 396 397   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 2:14:56 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: bennyboy1971

TDKR - if it lives up to its name, it'll be 90 minutes long, have a break in the middle while they flip the reels over and play for a week or two before someone records the Radio 1 chart countdown over the top of it..

Reactions to first screenings are pretty enthusiastic

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batman/21940/first-the-dark-knight-rises-screening-reactions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jul/09/dark-knight-rises-early-screening

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to bennyboy1971)
Post #: 11821
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 2:23:46 PM   
bennyboy1971

http://i.imgur.com/OPPQI.jpg

< Message edited by bennyboy1971 -- 9/7/2012 2:30:04 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 11822
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 2:50:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

TDKR - if it lives up to its name, it'll be 90 minutes long, have a break in the middle while they flip the reels over and play for a week or two before someone records the Radio 1 chart countdown over the top of it..

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batman/21940/first-the-dark-knight-rises-screening-reactions

Culture
Film
The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises wows fans at early screening

Christopher Nolan's final Batman film receives 'standing ovation' from US bloggers at advance preview
===========================================================================
Anyone else find cinema 'standing ovations' abit cheesy/ slightly lame?..

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 11823
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 3:05:00 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Not at all.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 11824
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 3:12:26 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

Culture
Film
The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises wows fans at early screening

Christopher Nolan's final Batman film receives 'standing ovation' from US bloggers at advance preview
===========================================================================

No way. I think it's a wonderful rare occurrence that highlights real appreciation of cinema, and in my mind, if a film's good enough to get everyone up on their feet clapping, it's an incredible achievement.

Post #: 11825
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 3:13:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Not at all.

why?

I just cant fathom it really.
I cant imagine anyone I know or anyone who goes to my near by Cinema's doing such a thing.
I think we all will feel little abit silly.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 11826
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 3:22:10 PM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Not at all.

why?

I just cant fathom it really.
I cant imagine anyone I know or anyone who goes to my near by Cinema's doing such a thing.
I think we all will feel little abit silly.

At a screening of Rambo I was at, the whole cinema stood up at the end and were whooping and hollering and clapping. We didn't feel a bit silly.

Good to hear that early word of mouth is very positive. Going to see if I can book my tickets for a saturday morning screening.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 11827
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 3:35:50 PM   
MonsterCat

The Dark Knight got a standing ovation all those years back when I saw it in Leicester Square. And I didn't feel the slightest bit silly about it because at the time it was the best film I had that year.

These days getting an audience to stand-up and clap after a film is an incredible achievement.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/7/2012 3:36:44 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 11828
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 4:33:35 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I was very carefully checking for reaction to the early screenings this morning, can't remember the sites, there was two that were really gushing over the film even deeming it "oscar worthy" seems early buzz couldn't be more positive.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 11829
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 6:14:04 PM   
filmfanatic123

I only have three words: CANNOT FUCKING WAIT!

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 11830
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 8:13:35 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/OPPQI.jpg

Brilliant! I imagined the Crappy growly voice Bale puts on too!! like Joe Cocker !. Bring on the next reboot! Nolan leaves me cold as Mr Freezes nuts!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to bennyboy1971)
Post #: 11831
The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 8:51:21 PM   
Alistair

It's amazing to consider just what it is that the Nolans and Goyer have achieved with these Batman films - I mean here we are with reviews suggesting Oscars and not too long ago Batman was on his arse thanks to Joel Schumacher's abysmal films.

Okay, so maybe The Dark Knight didn't quite have Bruce Wayne/Batman front-and-centre but then that wasn't the point in the scheme of the story. Bruce's story started with Batman Begins, and ends with The Dark Knight Rises, and he is most certainly front-and-centre once more. These films connect with people because of Bruce Wayne's journey and that's the genius of it.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 11832
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 9:49:04 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

It's amazing to consider just what it is that the Nolans and Goyer have achieved with these Batman films - I mean here we are with reviews suggesting Oscars and not too long ago Batman was on his arse thanks to Joel Schumacher's abysmal films.

Okay, so maybe The Dark Knight didn't quite have Bruce Wayne/Batman front-and-centre but then that wasn't the point in the scheme of the story. Bruce's story started with Batman Begins, and ends with The Dark Knight Rises, and he is most certainly front-and-centre once more. These films connect with people because of Bruce Wayne's journey and that's the genius of it.

Very well put.

Many people have reacted negatively to Nolan in recent years rather predictably given his enormous success, but I honestly think those people are genuinely talking out of their backsides. What he has done with this franchise is nothing short of genius. The depth of ideas offered on screen in these films is remarkable, especially for a 'comic book movie.' He's able to effortlessly inject the kind of substance to these films that a lesser director could only dream of. They're fun, they're intelligent, they're socially aware - and most importantly for me they make you think. Nolan is very much an ideas man above simplistic spectacle and I love that he doesn't shy away from testing his audience a bit in that regard. The approach has made for far greater films.

You cannot take that away from him, he really is as good as he's hyped up to be in my opinion.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 11833
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 10:02:26 PM   
justfontaine

quote:

This. I couldn't agree more mate. I was thinking earlier today that, as you have mentioned, Batman was once associated with the dreadful 'Bat credit card' incarnation brought on us by Schumacher and all those concerned. We had abysmal stories with no heart, no politics of a story to be told, no character and all executed terribly by 'movie stars' and not actual actors.

Now we talk about Batman in the same context as Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. We mention it in the same breath as Occupy movements and the war on terror and it's all acted by real performers like Bale, Caine, Ledger, Wilkinson, Freeman, Eckhart, Hardy etc... All credit to Christopher and Jonathan Nolan for crafting a Bat universe that now has real crdibility. This movies is going to be really something, I just know it.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 11834
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 10:11:22 PM   
TheSpleen

I bloody love this thread. Hardly any bickering (They are EATING one another on many other forums) and great points made by all.

On a side note, with Nolan stating on record

VERY MILD SPOILER:
There will be no mention of the Joker.

Even with the 8 year gap does this irk anyone else a little? I understand Bruce dealing with the ramifications of it all both mentally and physically in TDKR but no mention of the guy that caused THAT much carnage. A mild complaint that I'm sure will be smoothed over once I finally watch the new one!

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 11835
The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 10:20:26 PM   
Alistair

I was just about the type the same thing, TheSpleen - It's been great on here the last few months, some great discussion and not too many arguments! I shall miss it when the film is over, although I'm sure as the hype builds on Man Of Steel I'll get involved in the discussion of that (and then, future Batman films!).

Like the best of things, I can't really put my finger on what it is that moves me so much about this trilogy. Just inspiring stuff, as any good story about a hero should be. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire born in to a very privileged life, but he sacrifices an easy life to help others and that's touching. I wish there were more billionaires in our world like that.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 9/7/2012 10:28:13 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 11836
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 10:35:20 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

I was just about the type the same thing, TheSpleen - It's been great on here the last few months, some great discussion and not too many arguments! I shall miss it when the film is over, although I'm sure as the hype builds on Man Of Steel I'll get involved in the discussion of that (and then, future Batman films!).

Like the best of things, I can't really put my finger on what it is that moves me so much about this trilogy. Just inspiring stuff, as any good story about a hero should be. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire born in to a very privileged life, but he sacrifices an easy life to help others and that's touching. I wish there were more billionaires in our world like that.

Yep we're pretty lucky here. SHH is how I imagine Gotham in the film to be, a war zone!

It'll be quite bittersweet come the 20th as the excitement and years of speculation ends. Man of steel will fill the void for a bit I agree ha. Going into smug mode for a bit good for us all for not stooping to crass insults and daft spoiler baiting for attention. We rule.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 11837
The Dark Knight Rises - 9/7/2012 10:49:52 PM   
Alistair

SHH is full of die-hard fans, and that combination of strong opinion is dynamite on a forum. Discussions get lost in mindless nonsense. This is more of a generic film forum, so it's a little easier to breath and allow a discussion/conversation to build and flow. I've never posted on SHH because it's suffocating.

These films have divided comic fans I would say. As Nolan has said himself - His version of Batman is an interpretation, that's all it can ever be, so of course not everyone is going to like it. I have a friend who is a massive comic book fan yet he just can't stand the Nolan Batman universe, and that's fair enough. He prefers the traditional night-stalker Batman, the detective, the costumes, and the wacky villains.

Comic geeks think they know what would make a great Batman film but sometimes (just sometimes) it takes someone from outside that world to see the bigger picture. Nolan's films have never been about the costumes. The Batsuit is an aside. It's what it represents to Nolan that's matters in his story. I've responded to this take on the Batman mythology, and that has connected with me in a way I never thought possible with these characters. But then, not everyone relates to the same things. I'm sure those who don't like Nolan's films will be satisfied in the future...

Some words from the great man himself...

"Batman will outlive us all, and our interpretation was ours. Obviously, we consider it definitive and kind of finished. The great thing about Batman is he lives on for future generations to reinterpret, and obviously, Warners will have to decide in the future what they're going to do with him. We've had our say on the character. ... - Christopher Nolan

< Message edited by Alistair -- 10/7/2012 8:51:32 AM >

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 11838
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 8:50:14 AM   
IamMax

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

quote:

Very well put.

Many people have reacted negatively to Nolan in recent years rather predictably given his enormous success, but I honestly think those people are genuinely talking out of their backsides. What he has done with this franchise is nothing short of genius. The depth of ideas offered on screen in these films is remarkable, especially for a 'comic book movie.' He's able to effortlessly inject the kind of substance to these films that a lesser director could only dream of. They're fun, they're intelligent, they're socially aware - and most importantly for me they make you think. Nolan is very much an ideas man above simplistic spectacle and I love that he doesn't shy away from testing his audience a bit in that regard. The approach has made for far greater films.

You cannot take that away from him, he really is as good as he's hyped up to be in my opinion.

Yes, 100% this - I wish I could remember where I hear or see these things but I was thinking the BB screenplay was brilliant and some critic said it was 'unimaginative'. Of all things, after what they did there...

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 11839
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 9:08:05 AM   
redflame24

Qoute from Cineworld's website
"Cineworld is offering you the chance to catch Christopher Nolan's first two masterpiece superhero movies Batman Begins and The Dark Knight for a one day special before the release of the latest instalment The Dark Knight Rises hits our screens on the 20th of July

Tickets here

I'm going as never saw Batman Begins in the cinema

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 11840
RE: Reply to Captain Villa - 10/7/2012 9:19:19 AM   
dannyo

just wanted to throw my two penneth in on this. I dont comment very often but I really enjoy reading this thread and enjoys reading peoples ideas and opinions. Got my tickets booked for the 21st and cannot wait. 

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 11841
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 10:54:03 AM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

I bloody love this thread. Hardly any bickering (They are EATING one another on many other forums) and great points made by all.

On a side note, with Nolan stating on record

VERY MILD SPOILER:
There will be no mention of the Joker.

Even with the 8 year gap does this irk anyone else a little? I understand Bruce dealing with the ramifications of it all both mentally and physically in TDKR but no mention of the guy that caused THAT much carnage. A mild complaint that I'm sure will be smoothed over once I finally watch the new one!

It irks me a little bit. Particularly as the Joker said he had a feeling they'll be battling each other forever and he has always been the major thorn in Batman's side historically. Most believe Ledger was supposed to return in some capacity. I understand now with his death that they needed to go in a different direction, but a little teaser that he'd escaped Arkham would have been good. Especially if this film is left relatively open ended (ie Batman lives, saves the day and continues to watch over Gotham) for someone else to continue the story.

I'm now listening to the soundtrack and am very impressed so far. I actually think this tops TDK's score (which I felt was weaker than BB's).

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 10/7/2012 10:55:20 AM >

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 11842
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 11:00:29 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

quote:

This. I couldn't agree more mate. I was thinking earlier today that, as you have mentioned, Batman was once associated with the dreadful 'Bat credit card' incarnation brought on us by Schumacher and all those concerned. We had abysmal stories with no heart, no politics of a story to be told, no character and all executed terribly by 'movie stars' and not actual actors.

Now we talk about Batman in the same context as Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. We mention it in the same breath as Occupy movements and the war on terror and it's all acted by real performers like Bale, Caine, Ledger, Wilkinson, Freeman, Eckhart, Hardy etc... All credit to Christopher and Jonathan Nolan for crafting a Bat universe that now has real crdibility. This movies is going to be really something, I just know it.

Response to what I've 'bolded'.

Screentime is not necessarily needed to convey the character of Wayne/Batman. Equally good for audience identification with the hero is seeing exactly what kind of enemy he is up against then when wee see Bruce looming pensive, it hangs together as a portrayal of what is going on/the dilemma of the story. And of course, we had the portrayal of how he became Batman, and the second film is about that idealism, taken as read, portrayed via the consequences of his 'mission'. The dark shadow over the film cast by the failure to save rachel, and Mrs Gordon screaming at batman YOU DID THIS, the emotions conveyed by the film are as much a manner of portraying Bruce/Batman character as simply seeing him do something we can see.

How helpless did people who enjoy the film feel the first time of seeing it and seeing Rachel Die, Batman Devastated, Gordon lost for words, Harvey losing it...how you felt then, that's how it felt to be Batman/Bruce. Conveying that without showing it is Nolan's genius.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 11843
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 11:23:29 AM   
jon5000

Full soundtrack up ladies and gents (probably more gents)

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/07/dark-knight-rises-full-soundtrack.html

*Woops, didn't realise it was released through Empire. Shows how often I read this site outside of forums!

< Message edited by jon5000 -- 10/7/2012 11:35:55 AM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 11844
The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 11:45:19 AM   
Alistair

I've just listened to the whole soundtrack while at my desk in work (I'm a graphic designer, so I'm lucky to be able to listen to music while working) - Bravo, Mr Zimmer.

I'd say it's the most bombastic of the three soundtracks due to the power and destruction that a character like Bane brings to the story, but it's also an emotional, inspiring soundtrack. I might have missed it but I don't think I heard the tender piano piece that was so prominent in the BB soundtrack (and also used slightly in TDK soundtrack). I will listen to it all again in a wee while...

All I can say is that for a soundtrack to be this great, then the film that inspired it must be astonishing.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 10/7/2012 11:46:15 AM >

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 11845
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 12:44:39 PM   
jon5000

I'm in awe of the Bane motifs there. The strings to amp up the tension on Gotham's Reckoning - as we've heard from the Prologue - are nothing short of Bond villain quality.

He's shaping up to be an absolute brute.

The only thing that I'm still unsure of is how they're going to handle his backstory in the film - I really hope it isn't just a random cutaway whilst he's sitting down and reminiscing to himself ha. The way Nolan handled Bruce's backstory in Begins shifting time in an almost literary way was superb, but then he was the main focus. I reckon it'll contrast with Bruce's having Bane as a sort of 'anti' Batman. Very interested to see how Nolan handles it.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 11846
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 4:09:12 PM   
Coyleone

I completely agree that this thread has turned in to a really good one. I also agree with the praising of Nolan on this page, the man is brilliant. Even though it's under 2 weeks away, it still feels way too long dammit! After watching the 13 minute featurette and listening to some of the soundtrack, I actually think this is the most excited I've been for anything, ever.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 11847
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 7:28:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Dark Knight Rise TV spot6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PayRJfUvK3Q&feature=player_embedded
======================================================

Really liking the soundtrack.
Mind If I Cut In? is a great track.
======================================================
Finished listening to the soundtrack and I'm extremely impressed.
The songs carry a great emotional depth and hearing Rise at the end was just brilliant.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 10/7/2012 8:22:38 PM >

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 11848
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 8:13:20 PM   
Lang

My fingers are crossed for midnight screenings!!!....other wise it'll be the earliest screening for me

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

Post #: 11849
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 10/7/2012 9:13:55 PM   
kumar

Friend is booking tickets for the bradford imax on the 24th.... very much excited

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 11850
Page:   <<   < prev  393 394 [395] 396 397   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  393 394 [395] 396 397   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI