Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 17/9/2007 1:00:52 AM   
frankj

Loved it.

Tonally far more in keeping with the first two films than the third, which is no bad thing.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 91
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 13/1/2008 12:25:12 PM   
Captain Black

The first episode is on tonight, for everyone interested. The second (in its usual timeslot) is tomorrow. I believe it's pretty much the same as that episode that was leaked a while back; even the school scene is left intact.

The fifth episode is called 'The Demon Hand', so I imagine Harlin Ellison is on the phone to his legal team (again) as I type.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 92
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 15/1/2008 12:55:35 AM   
Mojo

Just watched the first episode and I really liked it. Great casting for Sarah Connor, and John ain't too bad either (although in T2 he was more of a rebel) but surely Summer Glau is gonna be the true star of the show? Great to see her back on our screens post-Firefly. Didn't like the Terminator much, but maybe I'm having a hard time with it not being Arnie. I'm open to other Terminators but this one just seemed a bit over the top.

Loving where the story is potentially going... I wonder if we'll ever get a Kyle Reese cameo with Michael Biehn? God knows he needs the work.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 93
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 15/1/2008 10:59:01 AM   
benmharper

Does anyone know when it starts on Virgin1. The advert was shown during Blade last night but it didn't mention a start date.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 94
Shows promise - 15/1/2008 4:14:19 PM   
Gazdance

Having hated Terminator 3, I was very skeptical about the prospect of a Terminator TV series.  The story was wrapped up neatly (as neatly as paradoxical time travel stories can be) at the end of Terminator 2, so why, I thought, keep going?

I've seen the pilot episode and I must confess that I really enjoyed it.

There are, of course a few niggles.  Firstly, the timeline.  I had thought that T2 took place sometime around 1995 so it bugged my that the pilot puts the events of T2 as taking place in 1997.  Minor issue though.

Also, having disliked T3 so much due to the fact that it made T2 null and void if the war happens anyway, I felt a bit cheated that that is also the premise of the series.  There's a limit to how original it can be if the overall quest is to find Skynet's new creator and destroy it. Surely it will be an endless cycle of 'Terminator arrives to kill John.  They run.  They kill the Terminator.  Terminator arrives to kill John...' 

That said, It is a wonderful premise though with lots of potential for action and to write it off as only that may be to write it off before it's had a chance to prove itself.

***Some spoilers ahead.***

I thought that the new John and Sarah Connor were good and I like the idea of a female Terminator (Cameron, arf, arf!) as their protector.  The new bad Terminator was pretty decent too.  Certainly no worse than Arnie and at least he's about the age Arnie must have been in T1.  It's certainly more credible to have a young beefcake Terminator than one that ages and gets a bit more soft with each installment.  And thank god they haven't put Arnie in this series (yet) and I hope that they don't.

There were lots of little references in the dialogue to T1 and 2 so it seems that the makers of this series are trying to align it with James Cameron's original vision which is no bad thing.  They could have done without the visit to Dyson's wife as this served no real purpose for the plot, other than to again link back to T2.  I hope that the rest of the series doesn't feature cameos from the likes of Dr. Silberman (something that really grated in T3) or the bikers from the bar.

The school shoot out was the only major set piece and it was well executed and entertaining, if not exactly the most original thing in the world.  I suppose a TV budget means that we can't have the likes of the freeway chases from T2 or 3.

So, I think the series has potential.  Now that they have travelled forward in time to 2007 it will be interesting to see where it goes and if the writers can create a really decent spin-off to the original two films.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 95
RE: Shows promise - 15/1/2008 7:01:12 PM   
Mojo

Second episode was good. That's one persistant Terminator!

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 96
RE: Terminator: SCC -- Shows promise - 15/1/2008 9:07:05 PM   
Captain Black

That's right - it will not stop! Ever! 

Not a bad second episode. The recasting of the boyfriend threw me a bit though as I didn't bother rewatching the pilot. There was a good sense of atmosphere and it was pretty well paced considering not an awful lot actually happened. I think Headey's really good and I liked how the dealt with the passing of time (i.e. referencing things without being too heavy handed). Most importantly, it looks as though they should be able to have an on-going story that isn't too terminator-of-the-week, while still cramming in a few action scenes.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 97
RE: Terminator: SCC -- Shows promise - 16/1/2008 7:16:36 PM   
sanchia

Apparently a signifcant drop in the ratings between the first and second episodes. There has been a drop of over 45% following the record breaking pilot.   There was a drop from 18m viewers to under 10m which is still a respectable sum (and it is still a better sum than Bionic Woman which has lost over 75% of the audience share).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 98
RE: Terminator: SCC -- Shows promise - 16/1/2008 7:58:26 PM   
Captain Black

To be fair though, the original figure was following an NFL playoff game, which would have given the ratings an artificial boost, so the dropoff won't have been quite as extreme as may first appear. Much more telling will be the difference to next week, of course.

10M is probably pretty solid. Prison Break gets around 7 at present; 24 somewhere between 12-14. Fox is in a really odd position in that it's got a few monster shows like American Idol and House, but not much else; consequently it's actually one of the better networks for letting on the bubble shows hang around (certainly better than CBS or ABC). It's only if you're dead in the water that you get shitcanned early. The strike will work in its favour this year too.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 99
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 17/1/2008 10:25:49 AM   
Response

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Jesus christ! after seeing the trailer for this show on youtube,i hope it gets canceled quickly.

Terminator 1 and 2 were classics
thought the tv show would be bad, but I checked it out and it was very enjoyable.

This series is many times better than T-3, and I think the Fx are better also. The only thing good about T-3 were Arnies one liners and the car chase, everything else in that movie sucked.  Sarah Connor Chronicles is a good show, it looks to be transition between the events of T2 and T3, I was very impressed with the pilot

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 100
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 17/1/2008 11:35:17 PM   
Scruffybobby

Just saw the first episode and it wasn't too bad. There were some decent effects and a couple of nice moments, like the T-800 with the gun hidden in his thigh. It's never going to touch the movies (well maybe no 3) but it could be am entertaining enough series

One thing that just didn't sit right though is that Lena Heady  is clearly  too young to be the mother of the guy playing John. You could buy her as an older sister or maybe an aunt, but his mum? She can only be about 12 or so years older at the most

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Response)
Post #: 101
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 18/1/2008 12:12:06 AM   
Mycroft

I quite liked this too, better than I was expecting anyway. Sarah's narration is a bit ponderous but it'll probably tail off in a similar way to Heroes after they run out of things to say

I was kind of hoping they'd paint the female Terminator as amoral, only "good" in terms of wanting to protect the hero. Revealing "El Finito" to be an informer after all dampened the point of her shooting the guy without compunction, but it's early days.

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 18/1/2008 12:13:48 AM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 102
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 19/1/2008 11:19:01 AM   
Timon

The Resistance seem to be sending people back ad nauseum now - FOUR fighters?! Makes you think Connor should have sent back a platoon to protect his mother than the lone Kyle Reese. How many time machines do they have in the future. It must have taken ages to plan all this.

Still, not complaining - it's enjoyable enough. Curious about where it's going to go though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 103
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 19/1/2008 11:37:16 AM   
Mojo

I think they just have to take a few liberties with it being an ongoing tv series. For a two hour film its fperfect to just send one person back but if this is going to last as long as the producers want it to then there are  going to have to be some changes made, although I do agree it does seem rather strange. Just gotta view this as a completely seperate entity to the films.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 104
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 21/1/2008 10:26:18 AM   
Mojo

What day does this air then, I was expecting a download this morning!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 105
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 21/1/2008 10:42:13 AM   
Scruffybobby

Next episode's due on tonight so you should be able to get it tomorrow

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 106
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 23/1/2008 11:34:23 AM   
Mojo

Anybody watch the third episode? It was quite good, nice to see they can do an episode without any action which means we can get some varied episodes.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 107
RE: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Footage - 23/1/2008 12:40:57 PM   
Scruffybobby

Tried to get the 3rd ep last night. Took 5 hours or so and when I tried to watch it I just got some bullshit message saying "content blocked" and telling me to go to some dodgy site to download thier player - and a shitload of viruses/spyware no doubt.

Will try again tonight - using a different source obviously.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 108
RE: Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - 23/1/2008 12:46:38 PM   
Captain Black

Episode 3 spoilers.....

Again, not bad. I'm consistently interested in where they're taking rather than excited watching it, but there's lots of good stuff. The cold open with the dream sequence, the Terminator subplot where he regrows his skin. Quite impressed that the jumper actually jumped too (and the fact that some of the crowd were convincing her to do it; that seemed pretty likely), and there was some nice dry humour in it. I was surprised at how much blood there was in the episode too, they must have been really pushing the limits on what's acceptable on network telly.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 109
RE: Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - 23/1/2008 11:29:43 PM   
Scruffybobby

possible spoilers

Worked this time, thankfully.

Another actually pretty decent episode, with a nicely grim core running through it. I reckon if we just take the show on its own merits  and avoid comparisons to the films it could be worth seeing through to the end. I'm interested to see how the plot thread with the resistance guy is going to play out - I thought he was maybe going to kill Andy.

Still not buying the central relationship though - they're just too close in age.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 23/1/2008 11:30:55 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 23/1/2008 11:54:28 PM   
Vadersville

Really enjoying the series so far. My only real complaint is the Terminator. In the pilot she seemed intelligent and able to blend in, but now she just seems to get dumber each episode. In the pilot I remember her flirting and joking with John Connor when he started school. She even knew about slang because she said "sucks to be you" when he told her he was new in school. Plus if she wasn't also new to school doesn't that mean thats she been waiting and blending in for some time before meeting John and Sarah? Why does she have so much trouble blending in now. Or the more positive side both her and Sarah are hot. So thats good. And Terminator growing new skin was awesome.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 111
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 24/1/2008 12:20:58 AM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

Does anyone know when it starts on Virgin1. The advert was shown during Blade last night but it didn't mention a start date.

Thursday 21st Feb at 10pm apparently.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 112
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 25/1/2008 12:47:11 AM   
batrico

Watched all 3 episodes and so far im enjoying it.Eager to see how it continues its life as a series.

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 113
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 26/1/2008 11:32:07 AM   
Mr Terrific

Not bad, not bad at all. This show is starting to show some potiential. Good action sequences and a story arc that is independant of the films. I particularly liked the third episode.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 114
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 29/1/2008 8:53:55 AM   
Mojo

I'm confused, does this air on mondays? 

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 115
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 29/1/2008 12:54:52 PM   
Captain Black

It does, but no episode last night due to the State of the Union Address.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 116
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 30/1/2008 1:38:56 AM   
Mr Underhill

Just watched the first ep (pilot) and I have to say I thought it was pretty rubbish. Just a rehash of the first two movies and it looked like whoever directed it went "you know what was cool in T1/T2(delete as applicable)?" and threw it at the screen. Yet again we have John Connor hunted by one Terminator, protected by another as in T2. But what more were we to expect? Ok ok. How about actors who can, you know, act? Lena Headey is terrible, just terrible. She has two faces: Scowl and SCOWL. She over pronounces every line and looks constipated with the importance of it all most of the time. Compared to Linda Hamilton's Sarah she is extremely lacking. John Connor is a teenager, no real stretch for any twenty something Hollywood actor, it's all about the scowl, they like scowling in this show. On the other hand Summer Glau is very hot.
And we're time travelling already? Ho hum.
**spoilers for ep 1**

So they sent an engineer back in time to create a what, emergency time machine in a bank vault, complete with a Terminator, um, terminator gun. Fancy. Why not send same engineer back in time to kill... Blah blah blah, time travel waffle, paradox etc etc
And all of a sudden they're in 2007 where the unknown (how exactly is the person who created skynet unknown?? I guess we'll find out...) is about to create the aforementioned fluffy cuddly harbinger of the apocalypse and destroyer of mankind etc etc.

**end of spoilers for ep 1**

Ok so I could go on but colour me extremely underwhelmed and wondering exactly what the point of this IMO completely superfluous show is, besides making money for FOX who will probably cancel it fairly soonish anyway.

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 117
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 30/1/2008 1:55:42 PM   
Mr Underhill

Watched ep 2 and while the same faults are still in evidence it did get marginally better, here's hoping it picks up more from here.

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to Mr Underhill)
Post #: 118
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 30/1/2008 4:46:15 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

Thursday 21st Feb at 10pm apparently.

Thank you. I won't bother downloading if its that soon. Cheers

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 119
RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 31/1/2008 12:04:21 PM   
paulyboy

It's non too shabby in all honesty, a darn sight better than I was expecting at least. Some of the first episode came across as incredibly naff, not even the big man himself could of got away with saying "Class Dismissed!" back in the day. From there on in it's begun to find it's feet however, I especially liked the last episode. Worth watching I'd say.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI