Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

FIREFLY

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> FIREFLY Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FIREFLY - 30/9/2005 12:31:24 PM  1 votes
Pinkvelvet

Just three little words

BRING IT BACK!!
Post #: 1
RE: FIREFLY - 1/1/2006 3:33:02 PM   
daddy or chips

Ok...going off tangent slightly here but I thought I'd ask as it's something that I've been pondering since seeing the series in it's entirety. Is anyone else slightly mystified by the whole Mal / Inara situation? Sure she could be considered the "babe" of the ship and is obviously very beautiful but it seems to me that Mal isn't the sort of guy that would just be taken in by good looks, why does he tie himself into knots over this woman (who I think is actually a bit flat personality wise compared to the wonderful Zoe and Kaylee)?? Is it the fact she is very "available" (for the right price) but at the same time apparently very "unavailable" (even though we the audience know otherwise as far as Mal is concerned) that's the pull here? Just interested to hear your thoughts...

< Message edited by daddy or chips -- 1/1/2006 5:47:57 PM >

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tomorrow. And today's slipping by."
Post #: 2
RE: FIREFLY - 1/1/2006 6:19:49 PM   
furrybastard

Jealous?

I imagine it's her independance and stubborness which attracts him to her. Also, she's incredibly hot.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 1/1/2006 6:20:59 PM >

(in reply to daddy or chips)
Post #: 3
RE: FIREFLY - 1/1/2006 8:08:20 PM   
doubleshiny

quote:

ORIGINAL: daddy or chips

Ok...going off tangent slightly here but I thought I'd ask as it's something that I've been pondering since seeing the series in it's entirety. Is anyone else slightly mystified by the whole Mal / Inara situation? Sure she could be considered the "babe" of the ship and is obviously very beautiful but it seems to me that Mal isn't the sort of guy that would just be taken in by good looks, why does he tie himself into knots over this woman (who I think is actually a bit flat personality wise compared to the wonderful Zoe and Kaylee)?? Is it the fact she is very "available" (for the right price) but at the same time apparently very "unavailable" (even though we the audience know otherwise as far as Mal is concerned) that's the pull here? Just interested to hear your thoughts...

Probably the fact that she pretends not to like him, it's a very Xander / Cordelia type relationship.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to daddy or chips)
Post #: 4
RE: FIREFLY - 7/1/2006 5:51:41 PM   
DiscoBoy

I can see why he likes her...she is an attractive women and the character is very strong willed, confident and independent.
I haven't seen Serenity yet, but have just been converted. Fantastic show. Am hoping for huge sales of the DVD so we can hopefully get some more episodes or films - even if only straight to dvd, would suit me fine.

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 5
RE: FIREFLY - 7/1/2006 7:01:22 PM   
Zatoichi

One of my friends bought the DVD today. I have succeeded.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 6
RE: FIREFLY - 7/1/2006 10:54:38 PM   
Mozza

Well done.  I have also converted one of my friends to the cause.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 7
RE: FIREFLY - 7/1/2006 11:22:31 PM   
spidey55

I bought the dvd boxset, it was amazing.
I lent it to two of my friends, they now both love it

"can Spider-man come out to play?"

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 8
RE: FIREFLY - 8/1/2006 10:52:15 AM   
DiscoBoy

There seem to be a lot of converts, I've only converted one so far but am working on a second.

(in reply to spidey55)
Post #: 9
RE: FIREFLY - 8/1/2006 7:52:59 PM   
bub

you all have till 8.45 am tomorrow to convert me into buying the series before i go to uni. Whats it all about? does it have good effects, storyline, action, characters etc. Oh and the answer is yes i've been living under a rock.

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 10
RE: FIREFLY - 8/1/2006 9:07:45 PM   
Mozza

It's about a group of misfits who live on a spaceship and do all manner of less-than-legal jobs.  Things get a mite complicatged, however, when they pick up a fugitive doctor and his oddball sister, who he sprung from an evil research facility.

Witty banter, old west style action, great FX and loveable characters.  Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 11
RE: FIREFLY - 8/1/2006 9:47:56 PM   
Zatoichi

OK, my friend loves it.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 12
RE: FIREFLY - 8/1/2006 11:22:16 PM   
DiscoBoy

I thought it like a cross between Blakes 7 (but good), Star Wars and Star Trek

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 13
RE: FIREFLY - 9/1/2006 12:29:58 AM   
bub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

It's about a group of misfits who live on a spaceship and do all manner of less-than-legal jobs.  Things get a mite complicatged, however, when they pick up a fugitive doctor and his oddball sister, who he sprung from an evil research facility.

Witty banter, old west style action, great FX and loveable characters.  Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.

that will do i'll pick it up tomorrow

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 14
RE: FIREFLY - 9/1/2006 12:27:22 PM   
doubleshiny

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

quote:

I personally think we should all get the credit for that one. Kind of like a Firefly co-operative.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 15
RE: FIREFLY - 9/1/2006 5:47:02 PM   
bub

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubleshiny

quote:

quote:

I personally think we should all get the credit for that one. Kind of like a Firefly co-operative.

your credits in the post. Just picked it up i'll watch a few later on.

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 16
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 12:35:20 AM   
DiscoBoy

It's great, isn't it?
Did you think it great, huh, did ya, did ya, huh, huh???

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 17
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 3:32:03 AM   
calvin

I bought the boxset today in Virgin for 20 quid.  I think i've watched about 10 episodes, im about to start the last disc, but I might leave that to tomorrow.  My eyes hurt and im really tired but it was totally worth it.  Just wish id seen it before I watched Serenity. 

Better start converting some of my friends.

In love with Veronica Mars. And Rachel McAdams.

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds

http://c1230.deviantart.com

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 18
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 4:01:30 AM   
lulu karma

Forum-ite Squall Katsuragi sent me the boxset for Christmas.  I had no idea about Firefly really.  I had heard people mention it but didn't really pay attention since I watch little TV... except for HBO programming like Sopranos, Rome, etc.

I was immediately addicted.  Mal is so much fun - tough guy but really sort of a goof.  Kaylee is very sweet but obviously knows how to make the firefly bahookie rotate and I love the marriage of Zoe and Wash.  Jayne... yes Jayne and his hats.  How lovely.

As soon as I finished the boxset, I grabbed Serenity.  I think I'll watch the whole thing again this weekend.  Great stuff!

Oh, the Mal/Inara question above... I have no idea why he would be so attracted to her.  She was beautiful yes, but he seemed to be the sort to want more and I couldn't see where the more was in this case. 

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to calvin)
Post #: 19
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 2:25:59 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

Glad you liked it Lu. I was a bit peeved when I received Serenity through the post this morning, only to discover I'd been screwed by a guy from ebay and it was a lame maylasian version with no bonus features. I guess it's bad karma for not supporting the cause and paying full whack for it

It'll make a good gift for someone once I've watched it a couple of times though...

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 20
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 7:16:23 PM   
bub

WOW WOW WOW where has Firefly been all my life? just finished watching the 2 part serenity and the train job. Great characters, dialogue and action. I really liked the scene when the reavers ship just slowly floated by it was extremely tense. Can't wait to watch the rest. Just a quick question what is the film about? is it just a re-working of the serenity episodes?

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 21
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 7:24:16 PM   
DiscoBoy

Haven't seen the film yet, wanted to watch the series first. If the film lives up to the series then I'll be a happy bunny...or whatever the human equivalent of a happy bunny is...not a happy camper as I don't like camping..not a big fan of bunnies either..Bugs apart..and Watership Down...bright eyes...yes..
But, Firefly...great stuff...what a missed opportunity by Fox..they could have had a grand sci fi franchise on their hands and they let it go. I heard somewhere that Whedon had an idea for a new Star Trek series...after watching Firefly I'm surprised he wasn't snapped up and given the franchise.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 22
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 7:24:35 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

WOW WOW WOW where has Firefly been all my life? just finished watching the 2 part serenity and the train job. Great characters, dialogue and action. I really liked the scene when the reavers ship just slowly floated by it was extremely tense. Can't wait to watch the rest. Just a quick question what is the film about? is it just a re-working of the serenity episodes?

It's a continuation of the series.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 23
RE: FIREFLY - 10/1/2006 11:28:58 PM   
DiscoBoy

Looks like there could be more to come...possibly...maybe..perhaps...

www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 24
RE: FIREFLY - 11/1/2006 12:04:10 AM   
RabidHamster

quote:

ORIGINAL: DiscoBoy

Looks like there could be more to come...possibly...maybe..perhaps...

www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseoplease!

"A friend helps you move. A real friend helps you move a body."

Dr. Venture: "Why are you naked?"
Brock Samson: "To prey on their fear. To move like an animal. To feel the kill."
Dr. Venture: "Allright..."

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 25
RE: FIREFLY - 11/1/2006 12:46:41 AM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

It's a continuation of the series.

Yep, it sort of ties some things up but leaves room for the series to return. 

Ooooo...  I read the Empire link above.  All I can say is...

*squeals with delight*  Please?!

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 26
RE: FIREFLY - 11/1/2006 4:43:24 PM   
DiscoBoy

Anything..anything at all would be great. Personally, I'd enjoy a series of DVD movies.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 27
RE: FIREFLY - 12/1/2006 3:41:31 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Got the boxset today in the sales, looking forward to watching it. Seems to have gotten a lot of praise around these parts both on this forum and the old orange place, this influenced my purchase! I think it's the first Joss Whedon creation I've gotten my hands on.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 12/1/2006 3:42:23 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 28
RE: FIREFLY - 12/1/2006 3:45:47 PM   
elab49

THen if you enjoy it you have a whole fabulous world in front of you

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 29
RE: FIREFLY - 12/1/2006 4:09:02 PM   
Dave B

It's good to see so many people buying the series without having seen it and loving it. The film would have been a huge hit if they got the advertising right because it seems the majority of people who actually saw the film, loved it. Oh well, anyone know how much money the film has made on DVD sales so far?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> FIREFLY Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI