Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn - 9/11/2005 3:46:42 PM   
Timon

Oh yes....a live action version is planned. I know what you're thinking...dear God why, but maybe your fear will be lightened by the fact that Spielberg is producing.

No?

Don't blame you, it's a bad idea.

There was a comical rumour, a while back was that Jean Claude Van Damme had been trying to pursue the role of the 18 year old reporter....unsuprisingly the 'Berg shot him down.
He could try for Capt. Haddock though..........

Either way, Speilberg successfully got the rights from Herge about a year go and he's apparantly planning a trilogy. Trilogies are all the rage these days, and a lot of studios are beginning to plan three films instead of one from the outset. That might be the case with Tintin.

If this rumour is correct, each film will will be adapted from Tintin stories that spanned two books. The moon adventure is apparently considered too old-fashioned, so good possibilities are: The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure; The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun; and The Blue Lotus plus Tintin in Tibet. The latter pairing was not really one story, so some re-writing might be necessary. Otherwise, it's great to see that they're planning to use author Hergé's material instead of trying to write a new Tintin adventure.

Production could begin next winter, for a 2007 release.
The latest rumoured lead is Gregory Smith of Everwood, The Patriot and American Outlaws fame. Have a look at his pic - Gregory Smith

< Message edited by Timon -- 23/4/2009 2:39:01 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Tintin - 13/4/2006 4:58:31 PM   
Timon

Bumped for doctorolorinbats1975 for information

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 2
RE: Tintin - 13/4/2006 5:18:19 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Thanks Timon. So, Tom Hanks as Haddock anyone? Maybe Cruise?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Tintin - 13/4/2006 5:50:37 PM   
galvatron

That kid don't look quite right!

If it's made it should be made as a period piece! I loved the city settings in the comics looked amazing!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 4
RE: Tintin - 11/3/2007 12:25:22 PM   
Timon

Well it's back on but possibly as a CGI feature.

I did hear though that WETA had done tests in doing a CGI Snowy.

Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg's company Dreamworks is set to bring beloved animated series Tintin to the big screen. The film giant has reportedly committed to making at least one film featuring the intrepid Belgian boy reporter, although it has not yet been decided which of the 24 comic books will be adapted for the project. Nick Rodwell, head of Herge Studios which was set up by Tintin creator George Remis in 1950, confirms the company will go into pre-production on a film scheduled for release in 2009. He says, "If movie number one works, we will continue." Tintin first appeared in a Belgian children's newspaper in 1929. It went on to become a comic book series and an animated TV show.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5
RE: Tintin - 11/3/2007 12:26:44 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Stunt double?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 15/5/2007 9:15:53 AM   
Timon

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are teaming to direct and produce three back-to-back features based on Georges Remi's beloved Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin for DreamWorks, reports Variety. The films will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.

The two filmmakers will each direct at least one of the movies; the studio wouldn't say which director would helm the third. Kathleen Kennedy joins Spielberg and Jackson as a producer on the three films, which might be released through DreamWorks Animation.

Tintin has long been a passion project for Spielberg, who has been trying to get film rights to the comedic and adventurous book series for more than 25 years, a goal realized over the past year. With the rights in place, Spielberg, Jackson and DreamWorks began quietly developing the project.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Hergé.

"Hergé's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Hergé created," Spielberg continued.

Spielberg and Jackson have selected three stories from Remi's "The Adventures of Tintin" series, which encompassed 23 books published between 1929 and 1976. The series still attracts 2 million new fans a year.

Series, which has sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, chronicles adventures of a junior reporter who will follows stories to the ends of the earth, even though he often finds his own life in jeopardy. His able assistants include a white dog named Snowy, the lunatic Captain Haddock, the muddled genius Professor Calculus and the Thompson Twins.

Jackson said WETA will stay true to Remi's original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people --but real Hergé people!"

SPIELBERG AND JACKSON!?! Happy Birthday to me!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 7
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 15/5/2007 10:38:28 AM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
SPIELBERG AND JACKSON!?! Happy Birthday to me!

I agree, it sounds fantastic - just read about it on the BBC. Really excited to see which director takes on the third film, too - Sam Raimi's free

However, as they're apparently doing this next (after Lovely Bones and Indy IV), where does this leave Lincoln? I really hope this doesn't become another of Spielberg's unmade projects - REALLY looking forward to seeing Liam Neeson as Abe...

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 15/5/2007 11:43:52 AM   
mattchoman

I have absolute faith in these two to turn this into something really special, Monster House has shown that motion capture animated movies don't have to be awful and obviously Jackson has experience with great motion capture performances, I wonder if Andy Serkis is up for a role?

< Message edited by mattchoman -- 15/5/2007 12:25:14 PM >

"I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 9
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 15/5/2007 3:37:03 PM   
britesparc

It's just been announced he's playing Snowy.

(in reply to mattchoman)
Post #: 10
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 15/5/2007 6:06:17 PM   
swordsandsandals

Ideally, Brad Pitt would play Tintin, and Captain Haddock would be played by a woman....

I'm joking of course... This could be a disaster, lets hope Spielbergs involvement means it isn't.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 11
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 2/10/2007 1:48:47 PM   
Timon

Moffat writing has given me new hope. I was already excited by Jackson and Spielberg producing and directing (I bet Zemeckis or Darabont will do the third) but the news that Moffat will do all 3 scripts is great.

Blink was the best hour of BBC viewing for a long while and I enjoyed Jekyll. Does this mean that he won't be taking over from RTD on Dr Who though?

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 12
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 21/3/2008 10:14:32 AM   
Timon

17-year-old Thomas Sangster (Nanny McPhee, Love Actually) has been cast to play comic book hero Tintin in the trilogy of performance capture films to be directed by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson[image]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif[/image], according to the Daily Mail.

Sangster, from South London, has already been to Los Angeles to work on pre-production test sequences with both directors.

He'll be joining Andy Serkis, who has been cast as Tintin's sidekick Captain Haddock.

Filming on the first story involving Tintin begins in the fall, with Spielberg directing. Peter Jackson will direct the second
movie[image]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/1.gif[/image].

Interesting casting. The kid isn't bad in the films I've seen him in but I thought they might have cast older....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 21/3/2008 11:18:32 AM   
Indio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

17-year-old Thomas Sangster (Nanny McPhee, Love Actually) has been cast to play comic book hero Tintin in the trilogy of performance capture films to be directed by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson[image]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif[/image], according to the Daily Mail.

Sangster, from South London, has already been to Los Angeles to work on pre-production test sequences with both directors.

He'll be joining Andy Serkis, who has been cast as Tintin's sidekick Captain Haddock.

Filming on the first story involving Tintin begins in the fall, with Spielberg directing. Peter Jackson will direct the second
movie[image]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/1.gif[/image].

Interesting casting. The kid isn't bad in the films I've seen him in but I thought they might have cast older....

The little bastard that was banging the drums in Love Actually? Good grief  

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 21/3/2008 11:49:57 AM   
Mojo

This kid really annoys me, surely he's too young for Tintin? At least we won't have his annoying little face on screen.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 15
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 24/3/2008 7:51:33 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

The idea of Teentin doesn't appeal to me either, the character's always seemed a lot older than Sangster is.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 16
RE: Tintin - 24/3/2008 8:08:19 PM   
Kazuya

I'm a big fan of Herge's series and I'm looking forward to the films, especially considering the talent involved (the directors and producers) I think this could be something very special indeed. I wonder what story they will kick it off with, if the stories Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or Tintin in the Congo are used they would have to be considerably altered in their outlook. 

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Tintin - 26/3/2008 3:16:47 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I'm a big fan of Herge's series and I'm looking forward to the films, especially considering the talent involved (the directors and producers) I think this could be something very special indeed. I wonder what story they will kick it off with, if the stories Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or Tintin in the Congo are used they would have to be considerably altered in their outlook. 

Indeed. Can't really get away with stuff like this anymore...

[image]http://www.thelooniverse.com/strips/kuifje/afrika01n.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 26/3/2008 3:23:07 PM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 18
RE: Tintin - 28/3/2008 1:19:46 PM   
The Hooded Man

What a toe curlingly annoying choice to play the lead role. My interest in this film is over.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 19
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 28/3/2008 3:11:24 PM   
mattchoman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

The idea of Teentin doesn't appeal to me either, the character's always seemed a lot older than Sangster is.

Jackson casting too young? Never!

I wonder if Sangster will be joining Stuart Townsend and Ryan Gosling.

"I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 20
RE: Tintin - 28/3/2008 6:30:36 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

What a toe curlingly annoying choice to play the lead role. My interest in this film is over.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I think that it's a little silly to write off a potentially great franchise helmed by two of the greatest directors in the world and based on one of the most acclaimed comics series of all time, solely because of the choice of a young actor who you don't like in the role as Tintin. An actor who will be mocapped btw, and according to Jackson and Spielberg, the Tintin on screen will look almost identical to the one in the comics. Me, I think these films could potentially be very, very good.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 21
RE: Tintin - 2/4/2008 10:02:44 PM   
john25

Did anyone else see the article quoting Andy Serkis as saying that when he went to meet with Spielberg and Jackson that James Cameron  was also at the meeting, forcing him to speculate whether Cameron might be the director for the third film. Even Serkis didn't seem sure about this. What a triumverate of talent though. Spielberg, Jackson and Cameron, working together on the same franchise. This project could be absolutely mind blowing if that is true.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 22
RE: Tintin - 2/4/2008 10:09:04 PM   
john25

Also, when they actually do get around to making this, Thomas Sangster willl probably be between 18 and 20 which will make him the perfect age to play Tintin. It's good forward thinking.

(in reply to john25)
Post #: 23
RE: Tintin - 3/4/2008 12:41:14 AM   
kumar

Was watching Indiana Jones: Raiders.... the other week and it crossed my mind, though Tin Tin wont be tomb raiding (or will he, i dont remember much of what he did in the cartoon),

could it not be filmed in a similiar style, with that classic look that indy has? no bad idea in my eyes, i look forward to nazi pisstakes or communist slurs in these films

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to john25)
Post #: 24
RE: Tintin - Spielberg & Jackson Combine Forces - 3/4/2008 12:57:38 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattchoman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Jackson casting too young? Never!

I wonder if Sangster will be joining Stuart Townsend and Ryan Gosling.

He's probably too young to know better. It does seem to be a trend with Jackson, but I guess Spielberg must have signed off on it too, though.

(in reply to mattchoman)
Post #: 25
RE: Tintin - 3/4/2008 9:47:45 AM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: john25

Did anyone else see the article quoting Andy Serkis as saying that when he went to meet with Spielberg and Jackson that James Cameron  was also at the meeting, forcing him to speculate whether Cameron might be the director for the third film. Even Serkis didn't seem sure about this. What a triumverate of talent though. Spielberg, Jackson and Cameron, working together on the same franchise. This project could be absolutely mind blowing if that is true.

That would be amazing.  Hopefully he'll be able to segue neatly into the third film post-Avatar.

Also, I'm okay with Sangster as Tintin.  He's a good actor from what I've seen (Love Actually and that Doctor Who two-parter).  The reservations I have - that he's too young and physically too "slight" for the role - are mitigated by it being all mo-capped.

Anyone know when this is all going into production, BTW?  I'm assuming the Berg will be storming into Chicago 7 next for a possible xmas/spring release.  Then is it Tintin?  I just want him to hurry up and make Lincoln

(in reply to john25)
Post #: 26
RE: Tintin - 3/4/2008 10:44:09 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Was watching Indiana Jones: Raiders.... the other week and it crossed my mind, though Tin Tin wont be tomb raiding (or will he, i dont remember much of what he did in the cartoon),

could it not be filmed in a similiar style, with that classic look that indy has? no bad idea in my eyes, i look forward to nazi pisstakes or communist slurs in these films

i think it would work really well if they filmed each film in the style of the genre that the story is in, so for example the moon one may homage the tone and style of a 1950's b-movie, and like you said, any 'exploration' type stories may hark back to that style of film too.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27
RE: Tintin - 13/4/2008 2:47:01 PM   
olijoy

I'm cautiously optimistic about these films. It's not particularly original of me to say that Spielberg and Jackson are clearly right for this sort of project and will bring a wealth of talent to it. My main concern is balancing the need to capture the tone of the best books with any desire to appeal to a broad audience.

The thing that really leaps out at me is the lack of female characters in the books - the opera singer Bianca Castafiore and her assistant Irma are the only even slightly significant ones I can think of off the top of my head, and they only flit in and out of the books. I wonder if either of these roles will be expanded for the film. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - so long as they don't cook up a love interest. The Tintin books just aren't those kind of stories.

I'm indifferent to the casting of Sangster. He struck me as too young but I'll reserve judgement - I can't think of a better alternative, plus in my opinion it will be the casting of Captain Haddock that will prove more significant, assuming he enjoys the same sort of prominence that he does in the books.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 28
RE: Tintin - 20/5/2008 7:23:33 PM   
Kazuya

It'll be interesting to see how much they'll clean up ol' Haddock's cursing huh? It's a big part of the character, well at least it used to be before everything had to be politically correct. Don't get me wrong, a considerable amount of the viewpoints and the general outlook of the Tintin films will have to be updated somewhat, the racist elements have to cut out etc. But goddamnit, Haddock has to swear like the sailor he is.
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier in this thread I'm looking very much forward to these films as a long time fan of the comics and the considerable talent behind the adaptation doesn't hurt.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to olijoy)
Post #: 29
RE: Tintin - 21/5/2008 1:56:30 PM   
Timon

High five to that, Kaz.

I'll be the first to admit I was a little unsure of a Tintin franchise but the Trilogy of Spielberg, Jackson and Moffat has me drooling at the possibilites.

Hell, Spielberg and Jackson could be doing a trilogy on the history of tarmac and I'd be interested.

I grew up on the Tintin books and TV series so I'm quite excited. Sure, the 'kids' of today may not give a crap but screw them, they can go see the next 'Superhero Movie'-esque film.

I'm expecting good old fashioned adventure films with the Tintin series - think about it, the books had everything, pirates, murder mysteries, lost cities of gold, the moon - I'm very excited by this project and the fact that these 2 have been doing research with James Cameron AND Robert Zemeckis excites me even more.

Sure the Aintitcool/Comingsoon.net mob might think it's a waste of time, but whatever happened to fun? Excitement? Enthuiasm?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI