Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 9/12/2006 4:39:28 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
khaaaaaaan!!!!! - 9/12/2006 4:39:29 PM   
thearchitect

i am watching this right now on channel 4, and to be honest i love this movie. i dont like any of the other star trek movies but for some reason this holds a place in my heart as a truely great movie, yes its cheesey yes its camp, but that doesn't matter because the acting is spot on and it has endlessly quoteable lines. "bottany bay", not to mention the brilliant william shatner, forget patrick stewart shatner is the only real captain of the enterprise. this is ten times better than star wars episode 1 and 2 and should be recognized as a great, camp, very 80s movie.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: khaaaaaaan!!!!! - 11/12/2006 10:33:55 AM   
amateur ghostbuster

i too viewed this film on channel four, its quite a guilty pleasure but still a pretty decent film. I do prefer First contact though.

(in reply to thearchitect)
Post #: 3
I felt the welling of moistness... - 18/8/2007 2:39:01 AM   
dhollseed

...I mean, I nearly wept. I'm not sure how the Spock death scene was for non-StartTrek fans but for me I was so bloody moved and declared it the greatest piece of acting (from both Nimoy and Shatner) ever!

I may be a bit deluded mind.

A very different beast from the first film but also a 4-starrer. Certainly truer to the TV series and emotionally very accomplished.

Post #: 4
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 3/9/2007 2:57:05 PM   
shool

Awesome Film and still reigns supreme as the ultimate Star Trek film.

First cotnact a close second.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 5
It was ok... - 15/5/2009 9:15:15 PM   
tallaght24

And that is in no way a slight on the movie, it's just it had been hyped up by every review I'd read that when I sat down to watch it I was dissapointed. Not because it was a bad movie, it wasn't a bad movie....it just wasn't the great movie people had painted it to be.

Post #: 6
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Review - 19/12/2011 2:37:35 PM   
the film man

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan features a strong plot, increased tension, and a sharp supporting performance from Ricardo Montalban and it was this that kicked of this franchise.

Post #: 7
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 4:19:09 PM   
Phubbs

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

I never did understand how this film was so much more successful and popular than the first. Quite clearly the film has gone for a slightly more silly plot losing allot of the straight laced sci-fi from the first. I suppose you could say they lost the aspiring '2001' type sequences and went back to the more well known cardboard effects of Star Trek, shame.

Now I realise the slow building straight faced Star Trek we got in the first film was frowned upon but its hard to see what the fans actually wanted in a big screen version. There were complaints that the original was just an outstretched TV episode with fancy visuals, yet this sequel (in my opinion) was even more of an outstretched TV episode with lousy visuals.

I gotta give it to the creative teams behind the film, it was damn brave going ahead with this plot that's for sure. If you look at the facts here...the plot follows on from an episode which was in the old original TV series back in the mid 60's. So already you are possibly excluding most of your target audience as I'm sure many had not seen this episode and possibly not allot of the original series (of course many would have). So technically unless you had seen that episode you would be wondering what on earth happened before hand and feeling somewhat in the dark.

A bold move on the plot methinks, could of gone all wrong there. That aside I think the film looked pretty poor also, the effects looked allot rougher (which is saying something) and in general the grandiose feeling you got in the first film seemed to have been sucked away. What you had left was a quite cheap looking and very generic film, the only thing that looked spruced up were the character uniforms.

For me the franchise went backwards with this outing, it was kinda cool how they explored and expanded an old TV episode but the whole thing is so basic. I liked the slow strategic 'galleon' type starship battle between 'Kirk' and 'Khan' in the nebulae but apart from that there was nothing really that stuck out as a big moment.

Of course a sneering seething Ricardo Montalbán really helped the film with his portrayal of the dastardly 'Khan' but he doesn't do much does he. A curious one this, I know its a fan favourite and it saved the Star Trek franchise at the time of release but I just don't see why or how. I guess it was all about less fancy eye candy and a more 'down to earth' gritty Trek adventure.

Post #: 8
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 4:28:42 PM   
The Hooded Man

I love TWOK but many fans say this is the point where the Star Trek film franchise just became an extension of the TV series with effects and stories that felt like two part episodes welded together rather than genuine films.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 4:38:36 PM   
directorscut

TMP made more money at the box office.

But this only cost 1/3 the amount TMP did - and it shows. Meyer's direction is nowhere near as cinematic as Wise's.

And Horner's score compared to Goldsmith's is like Wayne Rooney's hair compared to Andrea Pirlo's.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 29/6/2012 4:41:13 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 10
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 4:39:34 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

TMP made more money at the box office.

But this only cost 1/3 the amount TMP did - and it shows. Meyer's direction is nowhere near as cinematic as Wise's.

And Horner's score is like Wayne Rooney's hair compared to Andrea Pirlo's.

Brilliant!

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 11
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 4:46:51 PM   
Spaldron

Best Trek film ever made.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 5:41:31 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Best Trek film ever made.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 6:26:30 PM   
NCC1701A

My 2nd favourite film of all time and the best Star Trek film to date.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 14
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 6:55:06 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

One of my favourite films.
But,for someone who is regarded as a highly inteligent being, Ricardo's Moltalbans Khan does act rationally dumb on occasions.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 15
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 29/6/2012 7:16:57 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

I gotta give it to the creative teams behind the film, it was damn brave going ahead with this plot that's for sure. If you look at the facts here...the plot follows on from an episode which was in the old original TV series back in the mid 60's. So already you are possibly excluding most of your target audience as I'm sure many had not seen this episode and possibly not allot of the original series (of course many would have). So technically unless you had seen that episode you would be wondering what on earth happened before hand and feeling somewhat in the dark.

Not really - the film establishes the villain's backstory perfectly for people who hadn't seen Space Seed.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 16
RE: Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - 30/6/2012 5:01:27 AM   
Phubbs

Well I had to go back and rewatch that scene a few times to get my head around it

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI