Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 4:29:01 PM   
Wedge

Had the misfortune of flicking on to this on UKtv Gold today.  Is it still being make.  I can't believe it's lasted this long while being one of the worst sitcoms of recent years! 

Does anyone like it?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 5:42:39 PM   
Boring Prophet

It's a piece of shit alright.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 2
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 6:20:48 PM   
Sundance

Everybody Loves Raymond?

I think it's still being made unfortunately, despite Ardal O'Hanlon getting some sense and leaving. It truly is awful.

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 3
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 6:26:50 PM   
punchdrunk

Any "Studio 60" fans thinking that My Hero is what the fictional sketch 'Peripheral Vision man' series would be like?  

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 4
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 6:34:06 PM   
kumar

it was good until the baby came, then it was shit.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 5
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 6:36:29 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

Everybody Loves Raymond?

I think it's still being made unfortunately, despite Ardal O'Hanlon getting some sense and leaving. It truly is awful.

I really, really, really don't get why Everybody Loves Raymond gets so much flack. It is genuinly funny every episode - unlike Will and Grace which is shit and relies on the camp one being camp or the squeeky one being squeeky to be 'funny'.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 6
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 6:39:01 PM   
Joedini

Possibly the most successful bad sitcom... just depends how long the green green grass goes on for.

Castor, totally agree about Raymond, good entertainment

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 7
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 8:52:09 PM   
sharkboy

Have you people never heard of Last of the Summer Wine? The world's longest-running comedy (a term which I apply in the loosest possible sense), this has managed to get consistently crapper since first fouling the airwaves in 1973.  As crap as My Hero might be, it's got a hell of a long way to go yet to plummet these depths.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 8
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 9:11:59 PM   
JIm R

Amen brother !

Last of the Summer Wine is just horrendous, I think my dad is genuinely the only fan and he laughs out loud at it.

There again he liked Monarch of the Glen so there you are...

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 7/12/2006 9:12:34 PM   
Sundance

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

Everybody Loves Raymond?

I really, really, really don't get why Everybody Loves Raymond gets so much flack. It is genuinly funny every episode - unlike Will and Grace which is shit and relies on the camp one being camp or the squeeky one being squeeky to be 'funny'.

I hate them both.  I never got Everybody Loves Raymond. Ray Romano just irritates me and the jokes are too easy and badly delivered to be funny. Although at least they don't turn and wink to the audience before they're about to deliver a line like in Will and Grace...

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 10
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 1:32:45 AM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Have you people never heard of Last of the Summer Wine? The world's longest-running comedy (a term which I apply in the loosest possible sense), this has managed to get consistently crapper since first fouling the airwaves in 1973.  As crap as My Hero might be, it's got a hell of a long way to go yet to plummet these depths.

The old people love Last of the Summer Wine, so it does have some merit, old england values etc.

My Family is probably better than My Hero, but is really quite bad, however, its more successful and therefore a contender for worst popular sitcom of all time

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 11
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 9:38:41 AM   
Wedge

I'm sure Last of the Summer Wine was fairly good once.  Still, there are only so many times you can watch old men roll down hills in trolleys/sofas/wheelbarrows.

My Family is fairly good though, some good actors in it, but I think we can all agree it went down hill after the oldest dippy son left.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 12
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 9:42:03 AM   
nicholsonsmhead

You forgot bathtubs.

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 13
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 9:43:56 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicholsonsmhead

You forgot bathtubs.

...a bathtub on the back of a lorry

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 14
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 9:54:46 AM   
Monkeyshaver

Friends is the most successful bad sitcom ever.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 15
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 10:09:28 AM   
Wedge

Now, Friends was, on the whole, actually funny.  What was Nick Frost's space sitcom called?  The name escapes me...That was poor and they've green lighted a second series.  It's a shame because it had some good talent in it.

< Message edited by Wedge -- 8/12/2006 10:19:48 AM >

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 16
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 3:43:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

Friends was nowhere near a bad sitcom, there are many many awful sitcoms from the US over the years. Friends was funny, maybe not all the time but some seasons were better than most. Its the characters that carried it over the years.

I watched season 1 and some of 2 of Everybody Loves Raymond but can't stand the character of the mum. Its the same reason why I didn''t watch Malcom in the Middle after the first season, I hated the parents. Not saying anything against the shows, it's just a personal opinion.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 17
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 8/12/2006 4:00:17 PM   
Monkeyshaver

If you think watching a bunch of annoying characters portrayed by bad actors that talk loudly all the time & wave their arms about is comedy…then Friends is the show for you.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 18
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 4:18:02 AM   
JIm R

Friends annoys the fuck out of me.

Totally unbelievable and just so unrealistic.

Post #: 19
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 10:11:12 AM   
elab49

Not until Vicar of Dibley is written out of the timeline, no. It has the added advantage of the most technically talented people involved in a calumphing piece of crap that this country suffers the embarrassment of having voted the 3rd best sitcom ever because the fragile minds of the 'family orientated' godbotheres love it (apart from the fundamentalists that can't even watch the woman in fiction), combined with Carol whatsername doing some kind of sex act in a mini to get them to vote for her.

Oh - and Will and Grace.

But the most internationally successful bad sitcom? Seinfeld - thank god for Lucy Mangan. Till her column I often wondered if I was the only one shouting the emperor is nekkid.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 20
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 11:01:37 AM   
TobiasFunke

People, look back to the 1970s for some of the best examples of successful bad sitcoms. For example, On The Buses - several series on TV and three dreadful (yet high grossing) films  Some other more recent examples:
As Time Goes By - 9 series and several specials of old people being boring. At least Last of the Summer Wine is good fun to watch!
Two Pints of Lager - I've never met anyone who admits to liking this drivel but somehow its still on air after 6 years.
My Family - Possibly the worst offender. The same tedious format for 6 series and countless specials, and everybody in it is just so smug! Its died a slow, smug death since Kris Marshall abandoned ship a few years ago.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 2:03:16 PM   
pablohoolio

MY FAMILY

Nuff said.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 22
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 4:51:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

If you think watching a bunch of annoying characters portrayed by bad actors that talk loudly all the time & wave their arms about is comedy…then Friends is the show for you.

I didn't say it was 'comedy' I just said there are worst shows out there. It lasted 10 years, they must have done something right. Please don't make assumptions about me or my taste in tv shows.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 23
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 10/12/2006 4:58:00 PM   
ndy_vrg

One Foot In The Grave

There's someone running around in a gorilla suit?
What's he look like?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 24
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 12/12/2006 3:54:24 AM   
frankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Oh - and Will and Grace.
See, if they'd called it Jack And Karen it would have ran and ran!

And Friends smacks Seinfeld out of the park - that slap-bass riff between each scene made the show unwatchable.
And the characters are not human beings - compare and contrast Elaine and Newman, for example. Or Kramer and anybody. It's an ugly cartoon of real life, made by people with more money than empathy.

Friends engaged its audience to the point where you cared about the characters, but Seinfeld disengaged its audience to the point where you didn't give a toss whether they lived or died. And what's the point in that?

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 12/12/2006 12:37:27 PM   
doubtlesswonder

My Hero was painfully unfunny to start with, when Ardal O Hanlon fronted it. Since he left and they shipped in James Dreyfus it has hit new lows.
I agree with what people are saying about My Family, it was quite funny, until Kris Marshall left. I think he's brilliant, but the poor guy has been reduced to doing films such as Love Actually, and BT adverts.

As for Last of the Summer Wine, it was fine, as a show for the older generation, up until Bill Owen unfortunately died. Then they drafted in his son to play Compo's son and they suddenly seemed to have forgotten what "comedy" meant.

Oh and by the way, I like Two Pints!

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 26
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 21/12/2006 3:05:16 PM   
Wedge

Comedy is a funny thing (as in strange).  I'm currently suffering from extreme bored and I flicked on to Dinnerladies on UKGold, I also forgot how awful this one.   Then again, I've been watching Two Pints recently again on BBC3 and I've begun to like it!

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 27
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 22/12/2006 12:48:10 PM   
mampers

Jeez, there are several Seinfeld haters around here. I love Seinfeld like some folks in the world do. But the worst sitcoms ever to grace the screen

Will and Grace - Jesus wept. A Big pile of shite. If it was not for the homosexual agenda which differs itself from the other competition, the jokes are lame and stale and Grace is just an ass and a smile. Wasted many hours trying to find it funny and failing miserably. There is no saving grace (pardon the pun) in this sitcom. It seem to have too many homosexual stereotypes which somehow the gay public seem to love and enjoy. If one of the characters said "I'm Free", like a certain Mr Humphries, it would not be surprising at all. I dont like it at all only because it is shite comedy.

Vicar Of Dimbley - I don't like this, only for the pure fact is that it kind of reminds me of the Middle England, Daily Mail, non offensive comedy which would appeal to those who live in a twee and happy life. It is not that funny and the only person who has some saving grace is Dawn French. It aint the worst sitcom, but the jokes give me a migraine, rather than a hearty laugh.

The I.T. Crowd - It has all the mechanisms to work as a comedy. Writers of Father Ted, check. Chris Morris as the boss, check. But it was lacking something. That is it, it was not funny at all. I only got to endure this on a Friday night, since I was waiting for My Name Is Earl. I wanted it to be funny, but it was boring and kinda dull.

Can't think of anymore as such, but before I leave, I would like say something about Friends. When Friends first came out, it was almost lambasted by most of the U.S. critics saying that it was a younger version of Seinfeld. So to me it is strange to like Seinfeld and hate Friends, or vice versa in a way, since some of the jokes are very similar to each other in a way. If you want examples, PM me.

Mampers.

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 28
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 22/12/2006 2:29:54 PM   
Marky_Mark

I can't believe everyone's forgotten 'Keeping Up Appearences'.....how a show could run for so many series when every epiode had exactly the same plot never fails to astonish me.....

• Someone calls Hyacinth 'Mrs Bucket' rather than BOUQUET
  • Her neighbours hide from her but invariably get called in for tea
  • Her sister slobs around in bed or in front of the telly with her husband Onslow
  • Her other sister talks about shagging around with someone whilst dressed like a hooker
.....'hilarity' ensues....

EVERY FUCKING EPISODE!!! How did his not get binned off after the first series?!?!?!

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to mampers)
Post #: 29
RE: MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? - 22/12/2006 2:42:48 PM   
Newander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

Possibly the most successful bad sitcom... just depends how long the green green grass goes on for.

Castor, totally agree about Raymond, good entertainment

Agree about Raymond too, whereas MY HERO, what a bag of shite.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> MY HERO most successful bad sitcom ever? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI