Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Shiki Jitsu

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Shiki Jitsu Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 16/2/2008 7:10:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Just watched Porco Rosso on Film Four - an opportune viewing as I hadn't realised it was on and watched it at my in-law's house. Fab film - another for the ridiculously long list of DVDs I Want...!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 241
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 17/2/2008 7:19:29 PM   
mafyou

I saw that today...it is still possibly my favourite Ghibli.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 242
RE: Studio Ghibli - 17/2/2008 11:11:33 PM   
Jasiri

What am I doing in here ? Well I have an ulterior motive* for posting but I did watch Porco Rosso this morning.

* I'm really just trying to change the title back so it shows on the main forum page as Studio Ghibli,you wouldn't believe how often I've though,cool sombody's posted something about Shiki Jitsu.You'd think I'd realise by now it was this thread but I clearly have the attention span of goldfish.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 243
RE: Studio Ghibli - 8/3/2008 12:57:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle. Great film, typically inventive, and nice to have a Western source novel, too! (The author's Welsh origins shines through with names like Jenkins and Pendragon! 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 244
RE: Studio Ghibli - 6/6/2008 1:26:09 AM   
G.O.B

I haven't watched Howl's moving castle since i saw it in the cinema.Princess Mononoke is on film4 on sunday night and i'll think i'll use it as an opportunity to watch this classic again.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

Post #: 245
RE: Studio Ghibli - 7/6/2008 5:51:34 PM   
the anomaly

When is Empire going to write a Studio Ghibli feature?

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 246
RE: Studio Ghibli - 7/6/2008 8:40:12 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Probably never. But with a new Miyazaki hitting Japan in a few months it would be a good ish time to do one.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 247
RE: Studio Ghibli - 9/6/2008 10:23:23 AM   
Chojin

quote:

But with a new Miyazaki hitting Japan in a few months it would be a good ish time to do one.

I thought it'd been a fair while since one came out - last i saw was howls and i never bothered with that one by his son (any good?)

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 248
RE: Studio Ghibli - 9/6/2008 2:48:00 PM   
logboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

quote:

Probably never. But with a new Miyazaki hitting Japan in a few months it would be a good ish time to do one.

i've seen features in the past... i think i remember a couple, one-page thingies.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 249
RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! - 9/6/2008 9:56:59 PM   
TRM

Here is my list of favourite Ghibli films with ratings. It seems easier than just keeping on recommending them to everyone.

I have also included the castle of Cagliostro.

1. Whisper of the heart (10)
2. Grave of the fireflies (10)
3. Princess Mononoke (10)
4. Laputa: Castle in the sky (10)
5. Spirited away (10)
6. Nausicaa of the valley of the wind (10)
7. Howls moving castle (10)
8. Kiki's delivery service (9)
9. The cat returns (8)
10. Porco rosso (8)
11. The castle of Cagliostro (8)
11. My neighbor Totoro (8)
13. Pom poko (7)

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Bulletproof_Monk)
Post #: 250
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2008 12:33:04 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

quote:

But with a new Miyazaki hitting Japan in a few months it would be a good ish time to do one.

I thought it'd been a fair while since one came out - last i saw was howls and i never bothered with that one by his son (any good?)

Howl's was Hayao's last film but 'Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea' will be out in Japan in July (i believe), so we probably won't see it until 2009 and it may not receive wide theatrical release - but we can hope. Optimum do at least get the dvd out as quickly as they can.

His son's attempt at adapting the Earthsea books received mixed reactions. It is certainly not as good as any of his father's work but it is worth watching if you are a fan of Studio Ghibli. If you do choose to watch it don't go in comparing Miyazaki Junior to his father and you will hoopefully enjoy it. I found Tales from Earthsea to be slower paced and darker than any of Miyazaki Senior's work.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 251
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2008 9:36:44 AM   
Chojin

fair enough really, as long as its an entertaining couple of hours i dont look beyond that.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 252
RE: Studio Ghibli - 22/6/2008 10:58:44 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Well, I watched Grave Of The Fireflies the other day and I was a bit disappointed. Not as good as I was expecting after hearing high praise from the likes of Roger Ebert, certainly not as heartbreaking in it's conclusion as I'd been expecting either. The younger sister Setsuko in particular grated slightly, she was just too twee unlike, say, Mei from My Neighbour Totoro, who I found quite endearing.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 253
RE: Studio Ghibli - 23/6/2008 5:01:08 PM   
Empitomezzo

Coupla haikus I wrote a while back:

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 254
RE: Studio Ghibli - 29/6/2008 1:42:21 PM   
Artoo02

Nice stuff Empitomezzo.

I don't know how long it'll stay there, but there's a Japanese TV clip on Youtube which features the presenters talking all over the first Ponyo on a Cliff... Trailer (Hayao Miyazaki's next film):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHs86SdutQ

Looks pretty great to me, predictably enough.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 255
RE: Studio Ghibli - 9/7/2008 4:38:37 PM   
geekpenguin

My friend and I watched My Neighbours the Yamadas the other day. It was a great film :) I love the animation style - it's different to any Ghibli film that I've watched before. Wasn't sure whether or not to buy this before I'd seen it, but now I think I may, just so I can see the original Japanese-speaking version. May give it a different perspective, do you think?

"When you can't run, you crawl; and when you can't crawl anymore, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

Batman Begins *****
The Dark Knight **** and a half...

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 256
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/7/2008 2:08:53 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: logboy

quote:

quote:

i've seen features in the past... i think i remember a couple, one-page thingies.

Empire contributor Andrew Osmond (writer of said feature in the past, when they rounded up lots of Ghibli releases on a two-page feature) has a very nice new BFI Film Classics book on Spirited Away out now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spirited-Away-BFI-Film-Classics/dp/1844572307/

It's a small book, only about 120 pages (including notes etc) but has a good history of Miyazaki in the film's context included as well as a longer analysis of the film itself. It would be good if Empire ran an excerpt as a feature, but either way it's well worth it for any fan.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 257
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 19/7/2008 7:32:50 PM   
G.O.B

That book looks great Artoo,in regards to the new Miyazaki film,any idea when we might see it over here?

Member of COBW

Post #: 258
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 19/7/2008 9:24:32 PM   
mafyou

Not sure when it will be out over here (my guess is not for at least a year) but it came out in Japan today. I've been looking for some reviews but more will be up by Monday. I've only read one on the Japan Times but it seemed positive. A change from his normal films though. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 259
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 20/7/2008 1:53:40 AM   
G.O.B

quote:

Not sure when it will be out over here (my guess is not for at least a year) but it came out in Japan today. I've been looking for some reviews but more will be up by Monday. I've only read one on the Japan Times but it seemed positive. A change from his normal films though. 

Cheers Mayfou,i remembered soon after posting that my friend who's in Japan at the moment said he was going to try and see it the last time i was speaking to him

Member of COBW

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 260
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 21/7/2008 4:32:54 AM   
hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

That book looks great Artoo,in regards to the new Miyazaki film,any idea when we might see it over here?

I couldn't find any release dates for the UK or here but there's a couple of copies on amazon already-to find it on amazon you'll have to put the Japanese title - Gake no ue no Ponyo.There's also some tantalising reviews on imdb - with Spoilers
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0876563/

Sounds like another classic from Miyazaki san.

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 261
O/S Ghibli - 21/7/2008 11:05:18 AM   
Gram123

Ok, Mrs 123 has a bunch of Ghibli as follows (roughly in order of preference, and with those below the line less favoured):
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Spirited Away
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Nausicaa
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Laputa: Castle in the Sky
  • ----------------------------
  • Pom Poko
  • Tales From Earthsea
  • Castle of Cagliostoro

I recently got her Whisper of the Heart too, but that remains unwatched as yet.

She previously had My Neighbour Totoro and The Cat Returns, but deemed them too much aimed at children and thought she wouldn't re-watch often so sold them (yes, I realise that might be blasphemous to some!).

And we watched Porco Rosso when it was on Film4, but she wasn't sufficiently impressed to buy it.

So, I think the only remaining films (excluding the forthcoming Ponyo) are:
  • Only Yesterday
  • My Neighbours the Yamadas
  • Ocean Waves

(I understand Optimum picked up the rights for the latter early this year, so it should see a R2 release at some point)

So questions:

1) Based on the above info, would people recommend any of these 3 remaining films?

2) Silly q. perhaps, but are there any (available) anime films or series that you consider to be similar to Ghibli films (particularly similar to those in the upper half of her owned list at the top of this post).

Thanks...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 262
RE: O/S Ghibli - 21/7/2008 1:35:04 PM   
G.O.B

She sold My Neighbour Totoro? That's one of my favourite Ghibli films  I haven't seen The Cat Returns but i've heard it's pretty forgettable.As for the others,i haven't seen any of them.Only Yesterday is highly acclaimed and directed by Isao Takahata who also directed Grave of the Fireflies.I have My Neighbours The Yamadas sitting on my shelves but i haven't watched it yet but again highly acclaimed if different to the typical Ghibli style.As for anime series i can't really help you as i only watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach so perhaps someone who knows a little bit more about anime in general could help you there.Hope that helps.

Member of COBW

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 263
RE: O/S Ghibli - 21/7/2008 2:53:59 PM   
mafyou

I've seen My Neighbours the Yamadas and it was definitely worth a watch...but you might only want to see it once. I thought it was very funny in places, but it's episodic and there is not as such a storyline. So it is very different to things like Princess Mononoke and Grave etc etc. So that might be worth renting before you decide to buy?

I can't believe she wasn't sufficiently impressed with Porco Rosso...that's possibly my favourite Miyazaki! Each to their own i guess...

As for your other anime question, Gram, all i can easily recommend are the films of Makoto Shinkai who has been dubbed "the new Miyazaki". So i guess that's a good thing for you and Mrs Gram123. I've seen Voices of a Distant Star which is a short (only 25 minutes long but excellent all done by just Shinkai), and his first feature length film The Place Promised in our Early Days. That was good but i think it may take repeated viewings to fully appreciate it. He also released a new film, not out here yet but it is on Amazon.com called 5 centimeters per second...it's meant to be excellent and i can't wait to have the money to buy it.

Hope that is of some help.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 264
RE: O/S Ghibli - 21/7/2008 7:46:23 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

She previously had My Neighbour Totoro and The Cat Returns, but deemed them too much aimed at children and thought she wouldn't re-watch often so sold them (yes, I realise that might be blasphemous to some!).

Absolutely! Blasphemy!

I love ALL the Ghibli films (the only one I haven't watched is Only Yesterday [although have it sitting on my shelf] and the last one that you mentioned, Ocean Waves) so it's easy: I recommend all of them!

My Neighbours The Yamadas is very different from the Ghibli style though. As several people have pointed out already. But it's very, very funny.

Can't get over the fact that she sold Totoro though... I have Totoro figurines in my cinema room (and mobile phone decoration - and I have a Cat Bus one in spare!) and I am grown-up! (I think...)

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 265
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/7/2008 2:18:07 PM   
hozay

I found this link on my Japanese news site today.It features some clips from the new Ghibli film Ponyo On The Cliff.
It's a news/current affairs show so you have to wait a bit til they start the clips.
And it's in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3ZxznlyuA

Seems there was mixed reactions to the film when it was released in Japan with many viewers saying it would appeal only to children while the more die-hard Ghibli fans think it's one of his best.
The song at the end of the above clip has become a massive hit in Japan.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 266
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/7/2008 9:22:37 PM   
Kyle_R_

Cheers for that vid hozay. Does anybody know if Ponyo On The Cliff will get a very limited UK cinema release, if any at all? I'd like to see a Ghibli film at the cinema some time and I might have a chance with this.

http://www.last.fm/user/I-Am-Scientist

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 267
RE: O/S Ghibli - 24/7/2008 4:33:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What do people think of Only Yesterday? I've never seen it and it got four stars in Empire (non spoilerific replies only please!)

(in reply to Kyle_R_)
Post #: 268
RE: O/S Ghibli - 26/7/2008 3:45:38 AM   
Erizu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What do people think of Only Yesterday? I've never seen it and it got four stars in Empire (non spoilerific replies only please!)

I came here to post my review on that! It's great, my review doesn't have any major spoilers, but if you're nitpicky about them maybe you should avoid.

http://wingsofcinema.blogspot.com/2008/07/only-yesterday-1991-isao-takahata.html

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 269
RE: O/S Ghibli - 26/7/2008 12:00:52 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I enjoyed it. It's a Romance/Drama story of a single woman looking back at her first loves/crushes from her school days. While in the present she takes time off work to break free from the city life and live/work on a farm. Bit of self discovery along the way and how her past and present are linked. Could have easily been live action but there are little flourishes like dream sequences or those Ally Mc Beal moments that are nicely animated and are all the better for it. Charming film slow and steady. One that would probaly appeal to women more but I enjoyed it.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Shiki Jitsu Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI