Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Studio Ghibli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Studio Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Studio Ghibli - 5/8/2007 4:05:21 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

yeah i'm still hoping they'll do a Ghibli feature in Empire.

Shall we start harassing them? Sadly, none of the Empire team ever come down into this part of the forum to tell us why they won't do a Ghibli feature. So one of us might have to PM them to find out more...

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 151
RE: Studio Ghibli - 6/8/2007 6:45:03 PM   
mafyou

Well i might be ordering THIS

It is quite a reasonable price and as there is still no news on a Optimum release yet i might get this in the mean time. Obviously i will get the one from Optimum too so i can complete my Studio Ghibli collection...for the time being.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 152
RE: Studio Ghibli - 7/8/2007 10:28:56 AM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

Does anyone else's copy of Laputa have a really pixellated cover? All the pics on mine are, even the little totoro logo. I figure it's most likely not a fake or naything since it was from HMV so just wondering

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 153
RE: Studio Ghibli - 7/8/2007 7:51:39 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deadly_Little_Miho

Does anyone else's copy of Laputa have a really pixellated cover? All the pics on mine are, even the little totoro logo. I figure it's most likely not a fake or naything since it was from HMV so just wondering

That's the same as mine. I brought it off eBay, so I was a bit worried it was a fake, as well. Nice to know the other copies are like this as well....

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Deadly_Little_Miho)
Post #: 154
RE: Studio Ghibli - 8/8/2007 9:48:37 AM   
mafyou

I've just had an e-mail from Play telling me that Tales From Earthsea will be released on 26/11.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 155
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/8/2007 8:10:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

whaddya know - a Ghibli thread! lol Thanks for the redirection mafyou! I'll certainly post a wee review of My Neighbour Totoro, although I suspect it'll arrive after I get back from holidays, as I'm away from next Thurs, and play.com don't get discs out too quickly!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 156
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/8/2007 9:11:41 PM   
Pherlygwen

All Studio Ghibli titles are currently £5.99 at Play. Each.

Clicky

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 157
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 2:00:16 AM   
G.O.B

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

whaddya know - a Ghibli thread! lol Thanks for the redirection mafyou! I'll certainly post a wee review of My Neighbour Totoro, although I suspect it'll arrive after I get back from holidays, as I'm away from next Thurs, and play.com don't get discs out too quickly!

look forward to it,Homer and Mayfou i think pm'ing them is a bit much so lets post in the thread for the current issue.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

Post #: 158
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 11:52:48 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Clicky

Some are even cheaper on amazon too.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 159
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 12:08:34 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Clicky

Not for us who have to pay postage.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 160
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 1:02:37 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

Clicky

Not for us who have to pay postage.

Try HMV then 

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 161
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 1:09:52 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

Try HMV then 

That's even worse. HMV charge £2 in postage - per item!! It will come out a lot cheaper at Amazon. For people who have to pay postage when they use places like Amazon, HMV and the likes, Play is the definite cheapest.

Any better option?

< Message edited by Pherlygwen -- 11/8/2007 1:11:11 PM >

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 162
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 1:13:07 PM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

Try HMV then 

That's even worse. HMV charge £2 in postage - per item!! It will come out a lot cheaper at Amazon. For people who have to pay postage when they use places like Amazon, HMV and the likes, Play is the definite cheapest.

Any better option?

HMV have never charged me? Are you abroad? If you are that may make sense.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 163
RE: Studio Ghibli - 11/8/2007 2:21:31 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

HMV have never charged me? Are you abroad? If you are that may make sense.

Define abroad. Seriously - yes, I don't live in the UK. So unfortunately, HMV, Amazon, Choices, Benson's and several other etailers charge postage from me. The upside is that stuff over a certain amount at Amazon is cheaper for me than for UK citizens, as I don't have to pay VAT. I've had boxsets for less than what my friend in the UK had to pay. But very cheap stuff, below a tenner, is definitely going to cost more for me than for you. At Play, CD-WOW! and other companies that ship for free worldwide, there is no difference of course.

< Message edited by Pherlygwen -- 11/8/2007 2:22:42 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 164
Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 6:16:42 PM   
Davey1

I saw my first Ghibli film this week (Princess Mononoke) and thought I'd do a short review here. (Spoilers)

Firstly, I don't understand why anyone would call Miyazaki the Japanese Walt Disney. Apart from the fact that they are both great animators, their films (judging by this one) have barely anything in common. Mononoke has a far more layered, epic feel then anything by Disney, and it reminds me more of the Lord of the Rings trilogy than anything else. The characters here were all multi-dimensional, and there is no clear distinction between good and evil, something Disney definately can't boast about.
   I wont bother describing the plot, as everybody here already knows it, but it was definately one of the film's strong points, although at times, with all the different characters and themes, I felt it could have been a little more focused. The animation was even better. It can't really stand up to the CGI detail of post Toy Story stuff, but it still looked beautiful, and there were some fantastic visual moments- my favourite being the Forest spirit's death, and some great battle scenes.
  One problem I did have with the film was its ending. Miyazaki hadn't left anything black and white before the end, and so I felt it was a little clunky and preachy when Lady Eboshi started going on about how Irontown would be a good village from now on, and how everyone would live in harmony. But this was only a small problem, and I think Mononoke deserves 9/10 for its scope and beauty.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 165
RE: Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 6:42:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It is a phenomenal film davey1. Check out my 'unseen film' list in my thread - I reviewed Princess Mononoke and said a similar thing - I made the comparison, on scale alone, that Mononoke is the LOTR to Spirited Away's Hobbit...!

Went into town and bought My Neighbour Totoro in HMV with ny NUS discount, so quite happy with that. Going to watch it tomorrow morning with 'the boy', as my namesake would describe him.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Davey1)
Post #: 166
RE: Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 6:52:56 PM   
mafyou

Yeah check out Homer's review it was a very good piece indeed! I wrote an essay on Miyazaki in the top directors list that may also interest you. Hope to see you in here more Davey!

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 167
RE: Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 7:03:15 PM   
Davey1

quote:

It is a phenomenal film davey1. Check out my 'unseen film' list in my thread - I reviewed Princess Mononoke and said a similar thing - I made the comparison, on scale alone, that Mononoke is the LOTR to Spirited Away's Hobbit...!

I just re-read your Mononoke review and I agree with most of what you said. Glad you mentioned the score, as I forgot to. I thought it was lovely, a great moment was when it swelled just as the main title came up. Got to say, I really like your reviews in that thread.

I did read your essay in the director's thread mayfou, and thought that it was great (as pretty much all of them were). I was surprised to see Miyazaki so high though (not really in a bad way)

Post #: 168
RE: Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 7:20:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Thanks!  I just read this whole thread, and wondered something. Thanks to mafyou for providing me with the ordered list of Ghibli films as their numbering goes on the R2 DVDs in the other thread over on DVD Discussions, but I was wondering what the order is. I mean, why that particular order. It doesn't seem to be chronological, or alphabetical, so is it random, or some obscure order?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Davey1)
Post #: 169
RE: Princess Mononoke - 11/8/2007 8:20:54 PM   
mafyou

I thought it was how they released them - or at least how they intended to release them. I think that was the plan but for some reason it went a bit off. I know that Only Yesterday was the last to be released and is number 14.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 170
RE: Princess Mononoke - 12/8/2007 3:43:20 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davey1

I saw my first Ghibli film this week (Princess Mononoke) and thought I'd do a short review here. (Spoilers)

Firstly, I don't understand why anyone would call Miyazaki the Japanese Walt Disney.

It's just easy marketing, Davey1 - Miyazaki himself dislikes the comparison. I think of him more as a Japanese George Lucas, in the way he creates a entire fictional world on film.

(in reply to Davey1)
Post #: 171
RE: Princess Mononoke - 12/8/2007 9:12:06 AM   
homersimpson_esq

The only way I saw it as a comparison is the way in which the respective studios are held in each country. America have taken Disney to heart with love, and Japan have done the same with Ghibli. And the fact that each is huge in the respective countries. That's as far as the comparison goes. 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 172
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 2:19:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

A ha! I snuck in a request for a Ghibli films feature on the Empire Online sub forum while Helen O'Hara was posting, and she said that while they don't generally do requests, she'd mention that someone was asking...! Huzzah!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 173
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 2:21:35 PM   
Rhubarb

I watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time last night, and it was genius, despite the slightly corny ending.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 174
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 2:25:47 PM   
mafyou

I know what you mean about the ending Rhubarb. But i think on repeated viewings that effect will go. The rest of the film is just brilliant though and the end does not affect it in any bad way.

Good work Homer! It's not just someone!It's all us little people in World Cinema!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 175
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 2:36:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Get on over to that Kurt Russell thread and make your voice heard lol!

So, I've bought Howl's, and am going to make two more Ghibli purchases using funds from my playtrade account. Which two? I want to watch them all, so I'll take the first two suggestions that come along. Bear in mind it's for my and my children - I'll get ones more for me on my own later...!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 176
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 2:42:30 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I know what you mean about the ending Rhubarb. But i think on repeated viewings that effect will go. The rest of the film is just brilliant though and the end does not affect it in any bad way.

Yeah thats very true, it just felt a bit jarring and false. The rest of it was really really impressive though, and i was happy that it was a nice ending, so your probably right on repeat viewings it'll dissappear. Its defintly one of my favourites already

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 177
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 5:41:17 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

Yeah thats very true, it just felt a bit jarring and false. The rest of it was really really impressive though, and i was happy that it was a nice ending, so your probably right on repeat viewings it'll dissappear. Its defintly one of my favourites already

I'm glad to hear it. It's one of mine too.

Homer, if you plan to get all the ghibli films just pick two you like the fancy of. Apart from Grave of the Fireflies (which a four year old wouldn't fully understand anyway) i would say you could get any of their films. Just enjoy!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 178
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 5:55:37 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Get on over to that Kurt Russell thread and make your voice heard lol!

So, I've bought Howl's, and am going to make two more Ghibli purchases using funds from my playtrade account. Which two? I want to watch them all, so I'll take the first two suggestions that come along. Bear in mind it's for my and my children - I'll get ones more for me on my own later...!

Kiki's Delivery Service is the one i would want to show my children if i actually had any. Its incredibly magical.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 179
RE: Princess Mononoke - 14/8/2007 6:32:45 PM   
Leomuse

I'd have Whisper of the Heart in my top three Ghibli films. I consider the death of Yoshifumi Kondo the greatest loss to film of the last ten years.

On another Ghibli vote, Porco Rosso needs help in the 1992 consensus thread. It's my favourite animated film so I'm trying to rally some support for it. Any votes (even those without it) would be appreciated.

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 14/8/2007 6:33:30 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Studio Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI