Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Studio Ghibli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Studio Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2007 12:04:26 PM   
mafyou

I've read that Earthsea is awful. But i strongly doubt that it's awful and plus those reviews are from people who are either "Hayao is God!" or think the books are the best thing since sliced bread. It is meant to be darker than normal Ghibli. I like dark, so i'm hopeful!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 61
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2007 2:38:30 PM   
foz

Most reviews so far don't point towards awful, just rather disappointing compared to previous Ghibli output.  A lot of the blame is being put squarely on Goro Miyazaki's shoulders (he is a trained architect and served as such right up until he was given Earthsea to direct), but there's a fair amount also levelled at the story itself - which Japanese audiences simply didn't like.  And looking at comments from Westerners who have seen the film in the Far East, it'll disappoint Western fans of the books as well, as a lot has been changed.  Seems as though Ghibli went out of their way to please everyone and has ended up pleasing no-one.

Film's out here on August 3rd (although there's a bit of confusion as to whether it's theatrical or straight to DVD depending on which news site to believe), so we'll find out soon enough.  It's rated far higher than the live-action series though, so it's not all doom & gloom...

< Message edited by foz -- 10/6/2007 2:39:27 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 62
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2007 3:04:58 PM   
mafyou

Yeah you're probably right. I'm sure it will be enjoyable if not classic. I've not read the books so that won't have any effect on me and will just be able to appreciate the film in front of me.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 63
RE: Studio Ghibli - 10/6/2007 11:54:43 PM   
G.O.B

Even an average ghibli film is a million times better that what disney are releasing at the moment.Looking forward to seeing earthsea although this being in the hands of miyazaki's son rather than miyazaki himself so this has the potential to be awful.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 64
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 1:08:46 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

although this being in the hands of miyazaki's son rather than miyazaki himself so this has the potential to be awful.

I wouldn't like to judge before i've seen his work. I have read he is not like his father which i think is a good thing as Hayao is the best at what he does. I'm looking forward to Earthsea with an open mind to anything, particularly as i know nothing of the stories of the books. That may be in my favour because so much has changed. Have you guys seen the trailer on youtube? The song is beautiful. If the music is that good throughout, i hardly imagine the film will be terrible to watch.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 65
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 2:26:10 PM   
Artoo02

I've read the books the film of Tales From Earthsea is based on and they're great. I really can't wait to see it... as mentioned that song and the trailer look wonderful, have a look at this gallery for some stunning hi-res shots:

http://www.buta-connection.net/galeries/galeries.php?cat=Les%20Contes%20de%20Terremer&gal=Film&pic=01.jpg

If you only look at one image though, make it Image 29 - how can a film with a shot like that possibly be bad? It just can't, sorry.

(Really hope I'm not setting myself up for a disappointment!!)

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 66
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 2:32:17 PM   
Deviation

The animation looks amazing. Even thought not the usual anime.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 67
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 3:49:05 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

Image 29

I hope that's the amazed smiley, haha.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 68
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 6:03:39 PM   
Beckiw

Has anyone seen Little Norse Prince? i ordered it off HMV but they STILL haven't got in stock so i was wondering if it was worth waiting for.
I'm trying to colect all of them so i guess i should wait at the moment i have :-

Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
Laputa castle in the sky
My neighbour totoro
Grave of fireflies
Princess Monoke
Naussica of the valley of the wind

They have made them 15 each in HMV now

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 69
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 6:25:20 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beckiw

Has anyone seen Little Norse Prince? i ordered it off HMV but they STILL haven't got in stock so i was wondering if it was worth waiting for.
I'm trying to colect all of them so i guess i should wait at the moment i have :-

Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
Laputa castle in the sky
My neighbour totoro
Grave of fireflies
Princess Monoke
Naussica of the valley of the wind

They have made them 15 each in HMV now

To quote myself from earlier in the thread...[!]:

" -The Little Norse Prince - feels a bit old compared to most of the other films mentioned, but good. Worth picking up if you see it cheap (unless you become a total Ghibli convert and simply have to have it!) "

I stand by that. I think you do have most of the best of the bunch already, but I would personally recommend Porco Rosso, Castle of Cagliostro and Whisper of the Heart well ahead of Little Norse Prince. I would certainly hold out for cheaper than 15 as well.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----

(in reply to Beckiw)
Post #: 70
RE: Studio Ghibli - 12/6/2007 6:38:27 PM   
mafyou

I'm doing the same as you becki but they are not cheap dvds to get. I agree with artoo as well go for Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso as they are two brilliant films. If you are looking to buy some Ghibli films now dvd.co.uk is selling them for 9.95 i think. Only a fiver off HMV but still cheaper!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 71
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 1:22:25 AM   
G.O.B

I said it has the potential and they even had a falling out over it.Agree with you though mayfou on him not like his father,it would be terrible if he just stole all his ideas from his father although i'll say he's probably done a decent job.that image is stunning as well and must check out the trailer.

Member of COBW

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 72
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 10:06:05 AM   
Gram123

Is Whisper Of The Heart along the same lines as The Cat Returns?
I was considering getting Whisper for the missus, but she didn't like The Cat.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 73
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 10:53:37 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

I've not seen The Cat Returns but i have seen Whisper. Apparently, The Cat Returns is less sophisticated and mature than Whisper. Personally, i'd recommend Whisper. It is a high school type film but so much more than that. If that makes sense. Plus, it's romantic so if you are getting it for the missus and if you've known each other from a young(ish) age you can't really go wrong.

It's a very good film.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 74
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 10:57:21 AM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Get for both of you, it's a lovely film. It's more realistic for the most part than The Cat Returns (the fantasy bits are more like brief imaginings or dreams), and a much better film IMHO. There are similarities between the films, but I certainly wouldn't say that TCR is 'more of the same' (though I do think it's better watched after WOTH).

----

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 75
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 6:31:45 PM   
jamesbondguy

Tales of Earthsea had a cinematic release in France about two months ago- scanned through a review while I was there, and they gave it three stars, so it can't be that bad!

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 76
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 6:50:25 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Tales of Earthsea had a cinematic release in France about two months ago- scanned through a review while I was there, and they gave it three stars, so it can't be that bad!

Er... why do France get to see it before us?

3 stars is alright, i'd be happy with that.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 77
RE: Studio Ghibli - 13/6/2007 10:23:26 PM   
cobrakai

I still haven't seen a single S.G. movie, but a good friend and my girlfriend swear by them. My girlfriend got the whole collection for me on DVD in Malaysia and sent them to me a couple of months ago....yet I still haven't got around to putting one of them on. Where should I start? I've seen Jonathan Ross go ape shit about S.G's movies, but for some reason I just can't raise any enthusiasm. Maybe I need to find my inner child!?

I ain't got time to bleed....

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 78
RE: Studio Ghibli - 14/6/2007 11:52:51 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: cobrakai

I still haven't seen a single S.G. movie, but a good friend and my girlfriend swear by them. My girlfriend got the whole collection for me on DVD in Malaysia and sent them to me a couple of months ago....yet I still haven't got around to putting one of them on. Where should I start? I've seen Jonathan Ross go ape shit about S.G's movies, but for some reason I just can't raise any enthusiasm. Maybe I need to find my inner child!?

Jonathan Ross is a prick but if he likes Ghibli at least he got one thing right.

Tbh, you have a good girlfriend if she likes SG. If you have all of them you should watch either: Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle or Laputa. And i don't think you should be trying to find your inner child as they are far more than a childs film. SG is not like Pixar or Disney in that respect. Once you've seen one you will want to see the rest.

HOWEVER, with your av (i don't know what it is?) you might want to watch Pom Poko.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to cobrakai)
Post #: 79
RE: Studio Ghibli - 14/6/2007 7:27:23 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

quote:

Er... why do France get to see it before us?

3 stars is alright, i'd be happy with that.

From what I've seen, France are hugely into Ghibli. When Totoro came out in a re-issue on DVD, there were adverts in all the magazines (even just TV ones) that I looked in, reviews everywhere, and the like. They also have a lot of Ghibli merchandise imported at the same time- I go there twice a year, so I've really started to notice it recently.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 80
RE: Studio Ghibli - 17/6/2007 1:01:46 AM   
G.O.B

quote:

I'd reccomend you start with spirited away,probably one of ghibli's most acsessible films and will give an idea of what to expect.hope that helps. 

Member of COBW

(in reply to cobrakai)
Post #: 81
RE: Studio Ghibli - 17/6/2007 1:01:08 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

quote:

I'd reccomend you start with spirited away,probably one of ghibli's most acsessible films and will give an idea of what to expect.hope that helps. 

I started with Spirited Away, so yeah, it's a good starting place.
Anyway, I'm watching Whisper of the Heart today- really looking forward to it!

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 82
RE: Studio Ghibli - 17/6/2007 1:22:57 PM   
mafyou

quote:

Anyway, I'm watching Whisper of the Heart today- really looking forward to it!

Let us know what you think! I'd love to watch a film...but revision is taking up all my time.

Edit: jamesbondguy, if you like after watching Whisper of the Heart (if you can be bothered) do you think you could write a review in the All things Anime thread? Just trying to get more people to post their reviews in there! Thank you!

< Message edited by mafyou -- 17/6/2007 1:42:08 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 83
RE: Studio Ghibli - 17/6/2007 10:55:30 PM   
G.O.B

does anybody know if film 4 are going to repeat their miyazaki season this summer?

Member of COBW

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 84
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 12:01:44 AM   
Jackie

I LOVE Studio Ghibli movies. I have to say, I was very naughty at Uni and peer-webbed a lot of shows and movies, but I deleted them all after and fully plan on buying them now and building up a collection. Miyazaki is a god.

Seen:
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
(read the book as well, after I watched it!)
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke
The Cat Returns
Whisper of the Heart
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

I loved Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle most out of all of them. I think the storylines are fantastic. Whisper of the Heart gets a lot of praise and it was fantastic, but I didn't like it as much as Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke. What I did like about it was the porcelain cat that popped up again in The Cat Returns and the love story - I thought it was very sweet. The animation and relationships in My Neighbour Totoro was FANTASTIC. I really enjoyed it! It gave me a good giggle, especially because I thought the little girl was absolutely the cutest thing. Kiki's Delivery Service was thoroughly enjoyable, but I kinda wish there'd been a bit more to the story! Very cute, though.

I do quite like the US voices in Howl's Moving Castle (CHRISTIAN BALE!), but I hate them in Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I think I watched all the others in subtitled Japanese. The girl's voice in Spirited Away is so so shrieky. Bleh. She's the same little girl who was in the US version of The Ring, wasn't she?

Anywho, I'm now out to expand my anime collection! Suggestions are well welcome

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 85
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 1:23:04 AM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie
Suggestions are well welcome

From the list you posted I'd say the biggest glaring omission is Grave of the Fireflies, Isao Takahata's tragic masterpiece. It's very sad but is probably pretty-much universally regarded as the best non-Miyazaki Ghilbli film, and was originally released in cinemas on a double-bill with My Neighbour Totoro.

Also, you might enjoy Diana Wynne Jones' book Castle In The Air (no real relation to the similarly-titled Miyazaki film), which is described as a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle.

< Message edited by Artoo02 -- 18/6/2007 1:24:28 AM >

----

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 86
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 5:21:02 PM   
mafyou

I just got Only Yesterday in the post today. I much prefer the literal translation of "Memories of falling teardrops". 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 87
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 9:34:17 PM   
Jackie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

quote:

Suggestions are well welcome

From the list you posted I'd say the biggest glaring omission is Grave of the Fireflies, Isao Takahata's tragic masterpiece. It's very sad but is probably pretty-much universally regarded as the best non-Miyazaki Ghilbli film, and was originally released in cinemas on a double-bill with My Neighbour Totoro.

Also, you might enjoy Diana Wynne Jones' book Castle In The Air (no real relation to the similarly-titled Miyazaki film), which is described as a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle.

I did consider getting Castle In The Air after I read Howl's Moving Castle but a) it is primarily aimed at 11-year-olds and I'm a wee bit older than that (not to say that Howl's wasn't thoroughly enjoyable, but then that was only because of the film) and b) it's apparently not really very sequal-y at all, just has a wee mention of Howl and Sophie.

I'll have to find Grave of the Fireflies I think! Any more suggestions?

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 88
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 9:45:10 PM   
mafyou

The only films i can think of that you haven't seen by Ghibli are those directed by Takahata: Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko and My Neighbours the Yamadas.

Oh, just remembered! Porco Rosso. Fantastic film. One of my favourites from Ghibli.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 89
RE: Studio Ghibli - 18/6/2007 9:59:56 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

I did consider getting Castle In The Air after I read Howl's Moving Castle but a) it is primarily aimed at 11-year-olds and I'm a wee bit older than that (not to say that Howl's wasn't thoroughly enjoyable, but then that was only because of the film) and b) it's apparently not really very sequal-y at all, just has a wee mention of Howl and Sophie.

I'll have to find Grave of the Fireflies I think! Any more suggestions?

Jackie.

Of course, mafyou's right, I don't know how I missed Porco Rosso. Some of the slap-stick might be a bit too 'silly' for some, but it's a great film, with lots of depth beyond the sillier bits too. Takahata's other films are definitely worth checking out, Pom Poko is just barmy, Only Yesterday is sweet and quite chilled-out and Yamadas is interesting visually.

I have to say I enjoyed Castle In The Air, whatever age it's aimed at, it's fairly different to Howl's but I'd say just as good. It's true to say Howl and Sophie don't feature that much, but it is supposed to be set in the same world.

----

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Studio Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI