Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: O/S Ghibli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: O/S Ghibli - 1/8/2011 7:27:42 AM   
Chojin

Maybe i'm amongst the minority then

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 391
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/10/2011 4:49:48 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I've seen Arrietty, and it's the best new film I've seen this year. An absolute masterpiece, I'd rank it as one of Ghibli's best.

You've seenn Arrierty? Where? I thought it wasnt released yet? I mean if it is, then i must still be stuck in the Twilight Zone!?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 392
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/10/2011 4:54:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Also, am i the only one who quite liked Tales of Earthsea?? I know its not classic Miyazaki, but i adore this film. Its a slow burning piece with great animation. And some of the scenes like the shipwreck graveyard at the start is just beautiful. As is the market scenes and the architecture. I also loved the villain voiced brilliantly by Willem Defoe!! Not to mention, Dalton does a goodd job too.

Its a very beautiful, haunting film by Goro Miyazaki. And one of my personal favourite Studio Ghibli fares.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 393
RE: O/S Ghibli - 15/10/2011 12:16:03 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I've seen Arrietty, and it's the best new film I've seen this year. An absolute masterpiece, I'd rank it as one of Ghibli's best.

You've seenn Arrierty? Where? I thought it wasnt released yet? I mean if it is, then i must still be stuck in the Twilight Zone!?

It was in cinemas around the UK about 3/4 months ago. Personally I thought it was Ghiblis weakest film.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 394
RE: O/S Ghibli - 22/10/2011 11:48:10 PM   
rich

Sounds dissapointing. Then again, I don't think they ever recaptured the greatness of Spirited Away in the most recent release.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 395
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/11/2011 9:18:52 AM   
MASH4077

This seems the best place to post this, so here goes: just seen a mention that Film 4 will be having a Ghibli season over Christmas

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/film4-christmas

"The channel also presents a sweeping, sublime survey of animated magic from Studio Ghibli, taking the viewer from early films like Little Norse Prince and Castle of Cagliostro, made prior to the foundation of the studio in 1985, through to the recent box-office success Ponyo. The season kicks off with premiere of Ponyo and also includes the TV premiere of little-seen 1993 Ghibli film Ocean Waves."

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 396
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/11/2011 9:28:43 AM   
elab49

Well UK TV premiere - wasn't Ocean Waves a TV film?

I wonder if they'll be digging out anything new apart from those two? They show so many of them semi-regularly I'm not sure if there are other Ghibli gaps they might fill. I'd hope subtitled, but wouldn't hold out much hope - best case scenario would be dubbed daytime showings for the kids then maybe a midnight showing with the film proper. Major Xmas present would be something like the catbus short they seem to only show at the museum.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 397
RE: O/S Ghibli - 24/11/2011 5:36:49 PM   
MASH4077

List of films now on Film 4's site - starts 10th December, but no times yet.

http://www.film4.com/features/article/studio-ghibli-season-on-film4

"The Ghibli films will be screened around tea-time from Saturday 10th December to Sunday 25th December. Exact times t.b.c"

Doesn't say what version (subtitles or dubbed) they will be, but given the "tea-time" showings, that probably points towards the dubbed versions where they've got them. I think when Film 4 have shown them before it's generally been dubbed versions during the daytime (and subtitles late at night) but am not sure?!

Given they're showing Ponyo twice (10th and 25th), maybe we will get both! Personally, I wouldn't expect them to be showing a subtitled version of Ponyo as one of their Christmas Day lineup!

EDIT: brain malfunction on the spelling department

< Message edited by MASH4077 -- 24/11/2011 5:44:40 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 398
RE: O/S Ghibli - 9/12/2011 1:01:43 PM   
MASH4077

Just a sneaky little thread bump as a reminder that the Ghibli season on Film Four starts tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to Castle of Cagliostro and Little Norse Prince as I've never seen these (not that I'm not looking forward to the rest of course).

Anime News Network has a list of the film times on this page - apparently Film Four have tweeted all showings will be subtitles - except for the Christmas Day showing of Ponyo (as predicted - wish I was as good at predicting lottery numbers!)

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 399
RE: O/S Ghibli - 20/12/2011 2:23:22 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I finally got round to watching The Castle of Cagliostro last night and absolutely loved it. On first watching I'd put it close to Spirited Away as Miyasaki's finest work. The animation isn't the best I've ever seen but the art is brilliant, the story is captivating and exciting and the soundtrack is fab. Well worth the wait and I'm going to be buying it in the new year (mainly so my daughter can watch the English dub).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 400
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 12:51:10 PM   
talpacino

Ok. I'm going to be brave and stand up and say I've never seen a Studio Ghibli film.

Settle down you!

So where would one recommend someone new to Ghibli start? Spirited Away is arguably their most popular and well known so should I start there or save that for later and start earlier?

There seems to be a good few on Blu Ray so I'll be picking up a few soon. No Spirited Away on Blu Ray that I can see though.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 401
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 1:12:22 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'd start with Spirited Away. That was my first Ghibli film and it blew me away. Then I'd recommend My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo, Porco Rosso and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

To be honest I've yet to watch one I don't like so I'm just naming my favourites here.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 402
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 2:02:46 PM   
talpacino

Cheers Harry. Just picked up Spirited Away on lunch. I'll hopefully give that a watch tonight and then pick up some of your other suggestions, provided I like it.

Currahee!

Post #: 403
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 3:55:12 PM   
elab49

Spirited Away seemed to take them to wider success after Princess Mononoke had gotten a lot of notice. It's certainly a brilliant way to start. My favourite is the next one though, Howl's Moving Castle, based on a Diana Wynne Jones book. Most heartbreaking is Grave of the Fireflies, based on the Kobe firebombing. Totoro is lovely for growns ups and little'uns, as is Ponyo. After that Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are great dramas, Arrietty is another fine adaptation of a British fantasy classic, Porco Rosso is pretty funny.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 404
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 4:00:43 PM   
Kaede

Spirited Away is a great place to start with Studio Ghibli as it's posibly their most popular film and most err, 'Ghibli-esque' if you see what I mean?

Porco Rosso will always be my favourite though. Such a clever, beautiful and entertaining film with a wonderful soundtrack and great imagery. Porco is a fantastic charcter too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 405
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/1/2012 4:24:41 PM   
talpacino

Cheers. Looking forward to getting started. I've a lot to get through.

Disappointed in the selection in HMV. Spirited Away and Arrietty were the only ones there. If I like this tonight I'll order a few more from Amazon.

Currahee!

(in reply to Kaede)
Post #: 406
RE: O/S Ghibli - 26/1/2012 1:09:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

So did you watch Spirited Away then? What did you think?

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 407
RE: O/S Ghibli - 27/1/2012 11:24:07 PM   
talpacino

Sorry, yeah we watched it the other night. I loved it and she says she did but she kept looking at me with a confused look so I'm not too sure.

Just ordered Ponyo, Howl's moving castle and My neighbour Totoro. What have I gotten myself into?

Currahee!

Post #: 408
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/1/2012 3:13:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Cool, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I suggest you watch the subbed version of the films and not the dubs (I'm assuming we're on the same page here anyway, this being a film website and all ). I'm really not a fan of the dubbed version of Totoro especially. Ponyo and Howl's dubs are pretty good though to be fair.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 409
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/1/2012 7:04:07 PM   
elab49

I think Howl's is dreadful - completely changes the tenor of the story and makes it childishly simple.

Totoro's was OK I thought - I'd to watch it with that a few times with a couple of kids and it seemed fine. Ponyo is reasonable enough in that it doesn't seem to change the script much.

quote:

Post #: 410
RE: O/S Ghibli - 30/1/2012 12:51:58 PM   
talpacino

Yeah I'm watching the subtitled versions so far. I'm not sure though about Ponyo with the voice actors there I may watch the dubbed version.

Picked up Grave of the fireflies yesterday.

Absolutely fantastic, great looking and so heartbreaking. I really wasn't expecting that, mighy be a little too much for the very young. Definitely recommended.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 30/1/2012 12:55:59 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 411
RE: O/S Ghibli - 31/1/2012 6:05:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think Howl's is dreadful - completely changes the tenor of the story and makes it childishly simple.

There is that but I'm usually watching any Ghibli with the kids so in this case it's quite a good thing. I meant the performances in Howl and Ponyo were pretty good really though, not the translation. I should have made myself clearer, sorry.

quote:

Totoro's was OK I thought - I'd to watch it with that a few times with a couple of kids and it seemed fine. Ponyo is reasonable enough in that it doesn't seem to change the script much.

I can't quite put my finger on what bugs me about Totoro's dub but it just doesn't sit right. The kids love the film though so I'm going to have to get used to it. I've come home to either Arrietty or Totoro every day now for a week. My son is absolutely obsessed with them both.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 412
RE: O/S Ghibli - 31/1/2012 7:46:19 PM   
elab49

Kids is the only reason I'd look at the dubs now and it is really useful, particularly as Ghibli has been my go-to gift for young girls for the last few years - imaginative and strong female leads are that much rarer in American animation. I got Totoro for my young niece but my nephew, after affecting disinterest, demanded to watch it when he went to bed - they both ended up arguing over it the next day

quote:

Post #: 413
RE: O/S Ghibli - 15/3/2012 8:09:38 PM   
MASH4077

The Prince Charles Cinema in London is showing From Up On Poppy Hill on Friday 13th April, it's the UK Premiere as part of the Terracotta Film Festival

PCC Page

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 414
RE: O/S Ghibli - 6/4/2012 12:13:28 AM   
Hood_Man

Just seen Princess Mononoke, what a beautiful film

I admit I wasn't prepared for the amount of gore in it (the DVD has PG on it but I guess that's another debate altogether), but I enjoyed it. I have to admit I often forget just how good anime animation can be but there were moments in this film where I felt quite sorry for the animators

Not much of a review I'm afraid, but there's not much I can say that hasn't been said here already.

Porco Rosso next!

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 415
RE: O/S Ghibli - 17/4/2012 10:28:09 PM   
MASH4077

Saw From Up on Poppy Hill on Friday at the Prince Charles [ /smug mode ] - great to see the queue stretching all the way down the side of the cinema, and the downstairs screen was packed (it was sold out).

I got a Whisper of the Heart vibe from it - partly I suppose due to it having a "real" setting - but because to me it seemed content to just to sit back and slowly tell it's story (does that make sense?). But then Whisper is my 2nd favourite, so this is good.... Loved the humour in it - it's mainly serious so the jokes stood out more perhaps? Animation was good (of course).

Great soundtrack too - the word is probably "eclectic" - some great jazzy bits, some the more "normal for Ghibli" type orchestral tracks, even some accordian near the start to give it a French vibe (this makes sense when you see it). Didn't think much of the ending song, but to be fair they were running late and so we got hustled out quick. Got to give the CD a spin!

I never thought Tales of Earthsea was as bad as some say really (but the again it's in my bottom 3), still this is a vast improvement. I think it's going into the "second tier" for me - not up there with the best, but still I really enjoyed it. Get a move on Optimum and release it properly so I can see it again!

On a side note, Amazon UK now have the Blu-rays of both Tales of Earthsea and Howl's Moving Castle up for pre-order, release date is June 25th

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 416
RE: O/S Ghibli - 20/4/2012 11:55:54 AM   
MASH4077

Happy day!

Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies BDs English-Subbed in Japan

July release in Japan, which should mean UK release around the New Year?

Totoro is my favourite, and Grave is also excellent, so I am seriously considering importing the limited edition double, given that they're region-free

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 417
RE: O/S Ghibli - 2/5/2012 12:50:35 PM   
MASH4077

For anyone who missed From Up on Poppy Hill at Terracotta (or wants to see it again ), then it's being shown on 8th June at the BFI Southbank, as part of their anime weekend: Anime | BFI

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 418
Spirited Away Showing - 12/6/2012 3:34:00 PM   
MASH4077

Finally! A cinema showing of Spirited Away which isn't in the morning and for kids only

The Prince Charles is showing it at 8:45pm on 10th July. Details here. Price is 4 members / 6.50 non-members.

I'm looking forward to this, as I've only ever seen it on disc

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 419
RE: Spirited Away Showing - 13/6/2012 10:14:34 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Spirited Away is a glorious film.
Anybody who has the oppurtunity to see this "classic" on the big screen should go in an instant.

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI