Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: O/S Ghibli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: O/S Ghibli - 3/8/2009 12:06:39 PM   
mafyou

According to this month's Empire Ponyo wouldn't be released until 2010, but this morning's news states that it will be out on 14th August. I also checked the Optimum Releasing website and they say the same. Yay! Only a couple of weeks. Also means I don't have to buy the Region 3 DVD right away.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 301
RE: O/S Ghibli - 3/8/2009 6:56:21 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

According to this month's Empire Ponyo wouldn't be released until 2010, but this morning's news states that it will be out on 14th August. I also checked the Optimum Releasing website and they say the same. Yay! Only a couple of weeks. Also means I don't have to buy the Region 3 DVD right away.

The more I hear of the dub (e.g. the two US trailers) the more I recoil in horror. I hope Optimum have some subtitled copies for people who aren't taking < 5 year olds.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 302
RE: O/S Ghibli - 3/8/2009 7:09:03 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

quote:

The more I hear of the dub (e.g. the two US trailers) the more I recoil in horror. I hope Optimum have some subtitled copies for people who aren't taking < 5 year olds.

I just saw the cast list. Aside from a few great actors, it looks like its aimed at the tweeny bopper market.

And don't you get the option to watch it in Japanese with subs with the UK releases anyway?

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 303
RE: O/S Ghibli - 3/8/2009 7:16:57 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

I just saw the cast list. Aside from a few great actors, it looks like its aimed at the tweeny bopper market.

And don't you get the option to watch it in Japanese with subs with the UK releases anyway?

For Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle there was definitely both options - Ponyo is a more (young)kid-friendly film though, and I certainly understand the need (well, reasonable and strong financially motivated desire at least) to have a dubbed version for kids not old enough to read the subtitles.

My problem with the Disney dubs is not particularly the actors so much as that they seem to always be about getting big names to put on the posters more than casting appropriate voices. When it works it's almost despite their best efforts!

< Message edited by Artoo02 -- 3/8/2009 7:17:57 PM >

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----

Post #: 304
RE: O/S Ghibli - 13/8/2009 9:50:47 PM   
mafyou

What is happening with the UK release of Ponyo? Was I wrong about it being released this weekend? I know it's getting a US release tomorrow, but I haven't seen anything about a cinema release over here.

Does anyone know anything more?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 305
RE: Shiki Jitsu - 13/8/2009 9:54:10 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I recommend Spiriteed Away too.

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 306
RE: O/S Ghibli - 13/8/2009 10:25:15 PM   
TRM

quote:

What is happening with the UK release of Ponyo? Was I wrong about it being released this weekend? I know it's getting a US release tomorrow, but I haven't seen anything about a cinema release over here.

Well it seems to have constantly been put back for release over here In empire I think their Miyazaki article just said that it is due for an early 2010 release, which is rubbish!

Thankfully though my local arthouse cinema is having a Ghibli season at the moment (Spirited away, the cat returns, Howls moving castle, Tales from Earthsea) so even though I have seen them all before, I can still get to watch some Ghibli films at the cinema this year.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 307
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/8/2009 12:07:11 AM   
Artoo02

quote:

The latest stuff I've seen is saying February 5th 2010 in the UK. That's on IMDB.com and according to someone e-mailing Optimum on a mailing list I subscribe to. I'm assuming we'll be getting the prints the US has finished with. I want Ghibli films to perform well at the cinema, I really do (and if there's a subtitled version on near me in February I'll be going), but honestly I say stuff that, go buy the R3 DVD. Or even the R1 DVD will probably be out before the film hits UK cinemas at this rate if you want the English dub (but oh my goodness, the US version of the ending song is a horrific techno-mauling of the perfectly cute original if it's the one on YouTube... *shudder*).

----

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 308
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/8/2009 12:38:26 AM   
mafyou

I was so sure that Optimum stated 14th August as the release date...presumably that was for America.

Anyway...thanks TRM & Artoo for the info.

I do believe I will purchase the Region 3 DVD...finally. I always prefer the sub, and I will just pick up the UK release that will have the dub on it later.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 309
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/8/2009 1:47:57 PM   
mafyou

A little piece on the US release of Ponyo over at The Guardian.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 310
RE: O/S Ghibli - 24/8/2009 3:09:28 PM   
MartinBlank76

FInally got round to watching Pom Poko which I have had for ages.

Worth the wait, it was great fun.

I laughed at their shape shifting pranks

I marvelled at the inventiveness and beauty of the animation.

I felt a little sad at the end.

So I shall add that to the frankly pitiful total of 3 Studio Ghibli films I have seen. I resolve to increase that number immediately.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 311
RE: O/S Ghibli - 24/8/2009 3:32:25 PM   
elab49

quote:

the US version of the ending song is a horrific techno-mauling of the perfectly cute original if it's the one on YouTube... *shudder*).

You're kidding? How can Lasseter claim to revere this stuff and then allow Disney to screw the Eng versions up so badly? Howls script was a simple-minded a,b,c joke compared to the original. No way Miyazaki should be blamed for that, but they don't seem to front up the idiot who provided that piece of writing.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 312
RE: O/S Ghibli - 25/8/2009 1:23:40 PM   
MartinBlank76

Happy days. Film 4 are showing the cat returns, tales from earthsea and princess monoke over the next week...

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 313
RE: O/S Ghibli - 1/9/2009 6:44:24 PM   
TRM

They also have The Norse Prince on later this week 

Also in other Ghibli related news, HMV have added Sherlock Hound complete series (an early anime series which Miyazaki directed a couple of episodes of) to their pre release section. There is no release date/artwork/price information yet, but it would be great to finally see this
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=20346

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 314
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/9/2009 12:26:28 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I saw The Little Norse Prince - I thought it was super. There's wolves, giant pikes, icy mammoths, stone trolls - plenty of fantastical stuff,

However the thing which elevated it was the character of Hiruda - a girl firmly stuck between good and evil!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 315
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/10/2009 6:34:04 PM   
mafyou

I've just seen in a DVD I bought today an advert for Ocean Waves. It says it was released in August but Amazon and Play say different things. Has it had an official release yet?

I've been without the internet for some time so I hope I haven't missed my opportunity to pick it up.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 316
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/10/2009 7:28:16 PM   
elab49

It looks like it has been delayed - although Amazon Jersey are showing 1-3 weeks but I'm guessing that might be an anomaly. The only release on there is a used one of R3 but you never know if it is the official release or not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 317
RE: O/S Ghibli - 23/10/2009 8:14:25 PM   
mafyou

If you're right, then it's a shame that it's been delayed. Still, credit must go to Optimum for giving this rare Ghibli a Region 2 DVD release. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 318
RE: O/S Ghibli - 25/10/2009 2:55:07 PM   
mafyou

Ponyo has been submitted and classified by the BBFC.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 319
RE: O/S Ghibli - 25/10/2009 8:22:04 PM   
elab49

Is the Feb release for Ponyo for DVD? Showcase cinemas have it as a 'coming soon' for the 12/2/10.

quote:

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 320
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/11/2009 12:50:47 AM   
G.O.B

For anyone who lives in Dublin,an advance screening of Ponyo is being shown as part of the Japanese Film Festival,i'm going to see if i can get tickets to it myself.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 321
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/11/2009 10:57:33 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Is the Feb release for Ponyo for DVD? Showcase cinemas have it as a 'coming soon' for the 12/2/10.

The UK cinema release of Ponyo is currently being given as February 12 2010: http://www.optimumreleasing.com/theatricals.php

The US R1 DVD / Region A Blu-ray release is reportedly March 2nd: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3628

The R2 Japanese and R3 (Hong Kong/Korean/Taiwanese) DVDs are out already, with the Japanese RA Blu-ray due in December.

----

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 322
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/11/2009 3:14:15 PM   
TRM

Some updates:

Sherlock Hound has pre-release details and price on HMV. Due 1/2/2010 and 17.99: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=291072
Ocean waves, due 25/1/2010, 11.99: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=989863

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 323
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/1/2010 9:10:20 PM   
target

I watched Spirted away on BBC two at the weekend, I'd forgotten just how good it was, I felt so immersed in the world, it's just brilliant.

I'm going to get it on Friday and probably some other Ghibli films because it's the only one ive seen. 

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 324
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/1/2010 11:11:53 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

I watched Spirted away on BBC two at the weekend, I'd forgotten just how good it was, I felt so immersed in the world, it's just brilliant.

I'm going to get it on Friday and probably some other Ghibli films because it's the only one ive seen.

I absolutely recommend My Neighbour Totoro. It's my favourite Ghibli film. And for the other end of the scale, Grave of the Fireflies is brilliant. I watched that the other day and it is a very moving film.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 325
RE: O/S Ghibli - 4/1/2010 11:59:23 PM   
elab49

One of my Xmas books uses the phrase 'double bill' for Fireflies and Totoro - apparently because the former was a well-known book it was easier to get funding and they piggybacked Totoro onto that.

And that makes one of the weirdest double-bills I have ever come across!

quote:

Post #: 326
RE: O/S Ghibli - 5/1/2010 12:34:00 PM   
juanvasquez

You'd definitely need to watch Fireflies first!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 327
RE: O/S Ghibli - 5/1/2010 12:52:24 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

I absolutely recommend My Neighbour Totoro. It's my favourite Ghibli film. And for the other end of the scale, Grave of the Fireflies is brilliant. I watched that the other day and it is a very moving film.

I'll have a look out for them. Cheers for the tip.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

Post #: 328
RE: O/S Ghibli - 7/1/2010 10:47:10 AM   
PaulieC79

Saw Spirited Away as well, any chance I get to watch that amazing film. I'd recommend all the Miyazaki directed ones, they are simply wonderful, wonderful films. Think I need to rewatch Grave of the Fireflies, perhaps I wasn't in the mood to watch ti first time round as it didn't have the impact on me I know it has on many and it is the kind of film I'd expect to have an impact on me!

Let's All Go To The Lobby Movie Blog (http://www.letsallgotothelobby.co.uk)

(in reply to target)
Post #: 329
RE: O/S Ghibli - 6/2/2010 4:51:33 PM   
G.O.B

Ponyo out next Friday,i think it'll be the first film i'll see on opening day in a few years.I seriously can't wait,i think it's going to be amazing.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to PaulieC79)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI