Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: O/S Ghibli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: O/S Ghibli - 26/7/2008 9:04:50 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What do people think of Only Yesterday? I've never seen it and it got four stars in Empire (non spoilerific replies only please!)

It's Ghibli's most underrated film, and one of their most human. Like Whisper of the Heart and Grave of the Fireflies it's more of a character drama, but it has a different tone than both of those films- it's more Ozu or Naruse-esque, in a way. I really like it, it's among my favourite Ghibli films.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 271
RE: O/S Ghibli - 26/7/2008 9:58:24 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I think it's Ghibli's best film. The only one to appear when I do a top 20 list at least.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 272
RE: O/S Ghibli - 27/7/2008 2:11:46 AM   
Artoo02

I wouldn't place Only Yesterday quite so highly as some here, but it is still a very good film, a very chilled-out, thoughtfully-paced film. I'm more partial to the flights of fancy of Miyazaki's work than the more realistically grounded stylings of Takahata, but I think their differences are what makes Studio Ghibli's back catalogue so varied and rich, there's almost a film for every mood you could be in, from silly to intellectual, happy to sad. Only Yesterday is well worth seeing anyway, it does have a couple of moments of humour, but it's really a character drama like jamesbondguy says. I find it quite an relaxing but uplifting film to watch.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 273
RE: O/S Ghibli - 30/7/2008 8:00:18 PM   
mafyou

According to IMDb, Ponyo will get a UK release on April 3rd. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 274
RE: O/S Ghibli - 3/9/2008 5:08:29 PM   
mafyou

Well Ponyo is at Venice. Apparently it got a 5 minute standing ovation.

Anyway, i also watched Pom Poko for the first time. Loved it.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 275
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/10/2008 11:05:33 PM   
nexumaster

Can anyone tell me what kind of Ghibli Ponyo will be? Similar feel to Totoro im imagining?

Also, what did empire give Earthsea? I cant remember seeing it in there although im not sure i got the particular issue it may have been in. Has there ever been a large Ghibli article?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my plethora of questions!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 276
RE: O/S Ghibli - 30/10/2008 12:20:02 AM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: nexumaster

Can anyone tell me what kind of Ghibli Ponyo will be? Similar feel to Totoro im imagining?

Yes, it seems to have been described as being more in that direction than something like Howl's Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke.

quote:

Also, what did empire give Earthsea? I cant remember seeing it in there although im not sure i got the particular issue it may have been in.

It got 3 stars. It was one of those tiny little corner-filling reviews, there's a review online, but I can't remember if it is exactly the one that was in the magazine or not:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=135109

quote:

Has there ever been a large Ghibli article?

Depends on what you define as large. When a load of the UK optimum DVDs came out there was a review round-up with a short piece of editorial by Andrew Osmond, but really I think that was no more space in the mag than the reviews themselves deserved. I think there was something on Spirited Away when that came out in the UK. But no big great features on the studio itself yet, no. Maybe Ponyo will finally prompt a proper feature, here's hoping.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----

(in reply to nexumaster)
Post #: 277
RE: O/S Ghibli - 30/10/2008 11:34:29 PM   
nexumaster

Thanks Artoo02. Come to think of it i do recall a tiny corner review

I too hope their is a bigger article devoted to Ghibli when Ponyo comes around next year.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 278
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/3/2009 11:55:21 AM   
mafyou

Has anybody heard anything more about the release of Ponyo?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to nexumaster)
Post #: 279
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/3/2009 1:26:24 PM   
elab49

Festivals you'd expect subs - but there are English language actors assigned to it but no release date in UK/US/Australia - so you have to think it'll turn up sometime. Hopefully?!

I'd kind of given up and been checking out the Asian sites for a DVD release.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 280
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/3/2009 2:01:42 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah where the hell is Ponyo - I need another Miyazaki fix

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 281
RE: O/S Ghibli - 11/3/2009 12:05:42 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd kind of given up and been checking out the Asian sites for a DVD release.

I'd check the Asian sites around June/July time because Ghibli always bring out the dvd a year after the theatrical release.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 282
RE: O/S Ghibli - 11/3/2009 2:50:18 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

Also, what did empire give Earthsea? I cant remember seeing it in there although im not sure i got the particular issue it may have been in.

It got 3 stars. It was one of those tiny little corner-filling reviews, there's a review online, but I can't remember if it is exactly the one that was in the magazine or not:

I think three stars is just about right - it looks a bit like his father's work but lacks the depth of a real Miyazaki offering.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 283
RE: O/S Ghibli - 12/3/2009 10:54:09 PM   
G.O.B

Anybody heard anything about when we might get to finally see Ponyo? I'm realy looking forward to it but there hasn't been a word about it getting released over here.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 284
RE: O/S Ghibli - 1/4/2009 2:39:13 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

Anybody heard anything about when we might get to finally see Ponyo? I'm realy looking forward to it but there hasn't been a word about it getting released over here.

Optimum are now listing it in their 'coming soon' section of their website as "August TBC" which would fit in with reports of an August release in the US too. http://www.optimumreleasing.com/theatricals.php

However, the Japanese Region 2 DVD is out on July 3rd. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8126 (yesasia.com will probably be cheaper for people in the UK, but they don't have it up as I type).

I'll not be waiting for the theatrical release, though I might sill try to see it in a cinema when it eventually gets its release here.

----

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 285
RE: O/S Ghibli - 1/4/2009 2:52:36 PM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

Optimum are now listing it in their 'coming soon' section of their website as "August TBC" which would fit in with reports of an August release in the US too. http://www.optimumreleasing.com/theatricals.php

However, the Japanese Region 2 DVD is out on July 3rd. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8126 (yesasia.com will probably be cheaper for people in the UK, but they don't have it up as I type).

I'll not be waiting for the theatrical release, though I might sill try to see it in a cinema when it eventually gets its release here.

Thanks for that Artoo! I'm going to head into London and try and catch Ponyo on it's theatrical run too. Can't wait!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 286
RE: O/S Ghibli - 14/4/2009 6:36:45 PM   
DouglasG

I watched Fireflies yesterday and it was... amazing.

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 287
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/7/2009 6:51:32 PM   
Artoo02

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Hayao Miyazaki, 2008
Region 2 Japanese DVD

***Very Slight Spoilers***

I finally got to watch the latest film by my favourite director, Hayao Miyazaki. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea tells the slightly Little Mermaid-tinged tale of a young goldfish girl who meets a young human boy and they fall in love.

Sosuke, the boy, decides the goldfish should be called Ponyo. However, because Ponyo is no ordinary goldfish the simple feelings of the two main characters have potentially world-ending consequences!

It is a marvel the film can retain such a simple feeling with such depth (sea-based pun intended). Many of Miyazaki's trademark themes are here such as the balance / love of nature, strong female characters, brilliantly realised weather effects, mother/father issues etc... - and yet the film manages to shy away from the arguably over-complicated tangles that some accused Howl's Moving Castle's plot of. It's a film that kids can watch understand easily, but with plenty of clever ideas tucked away for older viewers.

Visually the film is, as one would expect, stunning to look at. The watercolour-styled land has a distinct but not harsh contrast with the cleaner, simpler lines of the sea. For me it has a feel somewhere in between the pre-CGI (comparative) simplicity of Porco Rosso and earlier, but with touches of the 'lushness' and detail of Miyazaki's more recent films (Mononoke/Spirited Away/Howl's Moving Castle). Great Hisaishi soundtrack as always too.

To sum it up, it's old-school Miyazaki with a dash of recent Miyazaki. And it's fantastic.

< Message edited by Artoo02 -- 10/7/2009 6:52:03 PM >

----

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 288
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/7/2009 7:32:41 PM   
mafyou

I'm very jealous, Artoo. Even so, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I cannot wait to lay my own eyes on Ponyo.

It might be too early to say, but where would you rate Ponyo in comparison to other Miyazaki films?

Can I ask: where did you pick up the dvd? I might be tempted to buy myself a copy as I haven't heard much on the UK theatrical release.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 289
RE: O/S Ghibli - 10/7/2009 8:08:02 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I'm very jealous, Artoo. Even so, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I cannot wait to lay my own eyes on Ponyo.

It might be too early to say, but where would you rate Ponyo in comparison to other Miyazaki films?

Can I ask: where did you pick up the dvd? I might be tempted to buy myself a copy as I haven't heard much on the UK theatrical release.

I've only watched it once so far, so it is difficult (and unfair) to rank it... but I am still in my Miyazaki happy place .
I suppose I can say I would find it hard to believe that if anyone enjoyed all his other films they'd not enjoy Ponyo. I would expect some people to disregard it slightly just because it's a little simpler - those most impressed by Mononoke simply because it's a bit more adult might not love it quite so much, those wanting the more epic stories of Nausicaa/Laputa might feel a bit constrained perhaps. I think it's probably closest to Kiki's/Totoro in feel and tone, but it's very much its own thing too.

I bought my copy from YesAsia.com, who I've always found to be excellent, their free shipping usually takes about a week for me. It's currently about £32 (yeah.. ouch) on there.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ponyo-on-the-cliff-by-the-sea-dvd-normal-edition-english-subtitled/1019607726-0-0-0-en/info.html

EDIT: just seen there's a R3 Hong Kong version out on the 28th for a lot less that you might want to consider:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/ponyo-on-the-cliff-by-the-sea-dvd-english-subtitled-hong-kong-version/1014037994-0-0-0-en/info.html

< Message edited by Artoo02 -- 10/7/2009 8:11:21 PM >

----

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 290
RE: O/S Ghibli - 18/7/2009 7:02:08 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I was lucky enough to see PONYO in Japan last year - great film. I also visited the Studio Ghibli Museum.

It was a beautiful place, quite simple in it's design and yet it had a true sense of passion for animation in general. there was a screening of a cute short film about a group of schoolkids playing make-believe; they have a seabound adventure which includes saving a blue whale (can't recall the title); this was apparently one of a few shorts that are only ever screened at the museum. The screening room was laid out with huge pews and I just felt like a kid again as we all watched the film (even though it was in Japanese language minus subtitles). The projectionist booth had 'graffiti-style' autographs on the all by the likes of Nick Park, John Lassetter and Steven Spielberg.  If you ever go to Japan, check it out!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 18/7/2009 7:07:09 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 291
RE: O/S Ghibli - 18/7/2009 12:12:08 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I was lucky enough to see PONYO in Japan last year - great film. I also visited the Studio Ghibli Museum.

It was a beautiful place, quite simple in it's design and yet it had a true sense of passion for animation in general. there was a screening of a cute short film about a group of schoolkids playing make-believe; they have a seabound adventure which includes saving a blue whale (can't recall the title); this was apparently one of a few shorts that are only ever screened at the museum. The screening room was laid out with huge pews and I just felt like a kid again as we all watched the film (even though it was in Japanese language minus subtitles). The projectionist booth had 'graffiti-style' autographs on the all by the likes of Nick Park, John Lassetter and Steven Spielberg.  If you ever go to Japan, check it out!

I am hugely jealous! I'd love to go to the Ghibli Museum one day. I believe the film you must have seen is called The Whale Hunt - http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/museum/whale/
I believe there are 6 of these museum exclusive short films (Koro's Big Day Out, The Whale Hunt, Mei and the Kittenbus, The Day I Harvested a Star, House-hunting, Monmon the Water Spider).

There is a Japanese DVD I have of Hayao Miyazaki giving a tour of the Museum, but I'm sure it's poor second to actually going yourself.

----

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 292
RE: O/S Ghibli - 18/7/2009 12:25:22 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

I believe the film you must have seen is called The Whale Hunt -

Thank you Artoo, that's exactly the film I saw. It was beautiful. I must have spent over a hundred pounds in the gift shop - so many cool collectibles; the 'ticket' for the cinema is actually an original piece of film strip mounted on a card - awesome little keepsake.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 293
RE: O/S Ghibli - 27/7/2009 2:27:47 PM   
Artoo02

According to EMPIRE's nice big Miyazaki/Ghibli feature (issue 243) Ponyo is not going to be released in the UK until "early 2010".

I suggest this page is worth a visit until then:

http://www.yesasia.com/en/ponyo-on-the-cliff-by-the-sea-dvd-english-subtitled-hong-kong-version/1014037994-0-0-0-en/info.html

----

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 294
RE: O/S Ghibli - 27/7/2009 2:42:37 PM   
mafyou

quote:

According to EMPIRE's nice big Miyazaki/Ghibli feature (issue 243) Ponyo is not going to be released in the UK until "early 2010".

No way! Empire? Miyazaki! You're kidding? Empire?!

I think I will be taking your advice, Artoo. Thanks for the info.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 27/7/2009 2:43:41 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 295
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/7/2009 12:49:28 AM   
mafyou

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service earlier and there really is no other cinematic experience like watching a Ghibli/Miyazaki film. Magic, really.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 296
RE: O/S Ghibli - 29/7/2009 4:58:34 PM   
Pherlygwen

I'm eagerly awaiting my HK copy of Ponyo to drop down in my mailbox. It's been too long since I saw a Miyazaki film for the first time (Howl's Moving Castle). I wish I could go back and rediscover them all over again.

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 297
RE: O/S Ghibli - 30/7/2009 7:11:05 PM   
foz

Korean release of Ponyo (US$30 most places) out August 11

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 298
RE: O/S Ghibli - 1/8/2009 7:19:27 AM   
Tank Boy

I have Laputa lying around for ages unwatched. And Castle Of Cagliostro, too-I brought that back when the DVD had a fault and never got around to watching the rest of it.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 299
RE: O/S Ghibli - 2/8/2009 9:30:01 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

I suggest this page is worth a visit until then:

http://www.yesasia.com/en/ponyo-on-the-cliff-by-the-sea-dvd-english-subtitled-hong-kong-version/1014037994-0-0-0-en/info.html

Damn. If I'd only seen this before the weekend!

I've just spend a load on DVD's now! Will have to wait till next month. There is an offer on where you buy 2 Ghibli DVD's and get a free gift.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: O/S Ghibli Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI