Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 - 30/11/2006 12:21:43 PM   
Blunderbuss

Thought I'd give people the heads up on this new series coming the US SciFi channel in January...here's the basics from the show website:

"Based on Jim Butcher's best-selling novels, The Dresden Files tells the story of Harry Dresden (Paul Blackthorne), a regular-guy private detective with extraordinary abilities. While most see assaults, kidnappings or murders as the work of people with a depraved indifference for human pain, Harry is as likely as not to see the work of supernatural villains.

That's because he's a wizard. The real thing (and the only one listed in the Chicago phone directory). Whether consulting for the police on seemingly inexplicable crimes or following his own cases, he battles dark forces with a wry sense of humor." http://www.scifi.com/dresden/

Anyone who's read the source novels will know that this has the potential to be a very cool, noirish, HP Lovecraftian show.  Butcher's books are great, with loads of atmosphere and rich background detail.  Harry Dresden himself is a nicely rumpled, put-upon hero and there's a large, ready made and interesting cast of supporting characters.  With Nine Dresden novels published to date (eight of which are available in the UK so far) there's plenty of stories for future seasons should the first one fly.

Alternatively Sci-Fi could make an utter balls-up of it.  Either way the pilot should make for interesting viewing.

Oh and 24 fans will recognise Paul Blackthorne as the actor who played Stephen Saunders a couple of seasons back.

Oh and the show is Exec Produced by Nicholas Cage....

Enjoy...
Post #: 1
RE: The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 - 30/11/2006 4:14:17 PM   
Helo

Have been waiting for this one for a while.  I have to admit to not being aware of any of the source material until SciFi announced they had greenlit this.  Their recent record with scripted stuff is pretty good (BSG, Eureka), so hopefully it'll get the credible treatment it deserves. 

Sadly the chances of it showing up on a UK network will be slim to none so I think most of us will be keeping up with "U.S. speed"  .

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 2
RE: The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 - 30/11/2006 4:54:26 PM   
Joedini

quote:

"U.S. speed"  .

Subtle

And yes looking forward to this too. Anyone know how many episodes we are getting?

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 3
RE: The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 - 30/11/2006 6:00:51 PM   
Blunderbuss

I heard somewhere that the initial order was for twelve episodes, which would make sense for a mid-season show on Sci-fi. 

Having read the first six Dresden books there's no way you could cram any one of them into a single episode without screwing them up.  I would imagine therefore that each one will be used as the basis for a mini-story arc of three or four eps, with the longer character arcs that feature in the books spanning the entire season.  This would allow the show to cover three or four books in the first season and leave plenty more for a second season if its successful...

As for it not reaching UK TV, I guess it depends on how it does.  SKY has a pick-up deal with SciFi in the US; hence BSG, SG1, Atlantis and Eureka all appearing on SKY One over here, so Dresden could join that number.  Hell, even if it bombs SKY will probably take it because it'll cheap and show it over the summer off season...

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 4
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 20/1/2007 10:59:36 AM   
Captain Black

It starts broadcasting tomorrow night and the few reviews that I've read aren't terribly promising (read EW's here), but clearly that review has somewhat different expectations for a show than me, so I'll be giving it a go.

Strongers review here and here.

Sounds pretty promising actually.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 20/1/2007 11:37:36 AM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 5
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 20/1/2007 4:22:32 PM   
elab49

Odd - you see Dresden and SF and I tend to think Slaughterhouse 5. I'll give it a shot but it doesn't sound terribly original to be honest.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 22/1/2007 9:03:38 AM   
Blunderbuss

Thanks for the links to the reviews Captain.  Not being into torrents I'll probably have to wait and see if any UK networks pick this up, although I am stateside this weekend so might get to catch ep. 2 when I'm there.

The reviews sound mixed, although they seem to err on the positive.  To be honest as a fan of the books (which are great and I highly recommend) it sounds like the show runners have mucked around with the concept quite a bit in order to translate it for the screen.  Some of the changes are pobably warranted (you'd need a hell of a budget to do some of the things that occur in the books) but I'm not sure about others.  Bob for example, Harry's non-corporeal assistant, doesn't manifest himself as a human in the books but remains a romance novel loving, sex obsessed glowing spirit trapped in a human skull and is one of the more entertaining characters in the novels (he even get's a character arc over the course of the series).  Why they couldn't have kept him that way I don't know, but what they have come up with doesn't sound like a better alternative.  This and some of the other changes do not bode well.  I have a feeling that the TV show will therefore be a very different animal to the books.

If anyone does catch this on a torrent I'd be interested to know what they think.  Especially if they've read any of the books.  Meanwhile I'll hope that it gets decent ratings and someone in the UK picks it up for broadcast....

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 22/1/2007 11:08:20 PM   
sanchia

From the first episode nothing too stand out in it.  If I had to pick a show which I thought it was most similar to I would say Forever Knight.  Make your own conclusions from that.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 8
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 23/1/2007 8:51:57 AM   
Blunderbuss

IGN have a review up here...http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/757/757288p1.html

Another mixed one unfortunately.  By the sounds of it the US SciFi Channel may have done what is commonly known as a 'Firefly' on this one and started running the eps out of sequence....Doh!!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 23/1/2007 9:02:39 AM   
sanchia

I'm a bit more awake now so to elaborate.  I would definitely agree that the programme does seem to leap in running without a satisfactory introduction.  There are attempts to give some backstory with poorly produced flashbacks which feel shoehorned in to boost the running time rather than enhancing in any way (I think there are four or five of them in this first episode).  Some of the scenes in the opening credits look quite interesting but that is yet to be seen.  The lead actor who seems familiar seemed a bit uncomfortable in the role (it may change as time progresses, if he gets the opportunity).  There were some aspects which did work such as the ghostly sidekick but the majority seemed a bit hackneyed and falls just a bit into cliche.

Overall if there isn't an improvement I would say there isn't a long future for this one although the books do sound interesting.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 23/1/2007 9:04:26 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 10
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 10/2/2007 4:00:02 PM   
Bubba

For anyone that's interested this starts on Sky One on Wednesday 14th Feb at 9pm.

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin' Mark Twain shit. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiselled on your tombstone.

I donít condone conflict of any kind, be it star-based or otherwise.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 11
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 10/2/2007 8:35:56 PM   
HIM

Is it worth bothering with? 

(in reply to Bubba)
Post #: 12
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 11/2/2007 12:03:01 AM   
Bubba

I dunno, I'm a huge fan of the books and what I've seen/read so far they've got it pretty wrong but I'm hoping if I try to forget about the books it will still be watchable and fingers crossed enjoyable.

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin' Mark Twain shit. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiselled on your tombstone.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 13
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 11/2/2007 1:23:31 AM   
sanchia

I'd say have a look but there isn't anything to make it stand out from the crowd and is pretty much instantly forgettable.  The second episode was better than the first but still pretty bland.  I'm going to try one more and if no improvement give up on it.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 11/2/2007 1:25:44 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Bubba)
Post #: 14
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 15/2/2007 10:22:13 AM   
naomi

Did anyone else see this piece of ........... well I can't really call it ................ actually i don't know what you would call it.

Such huge potential the books are a great read and what do they do change everything.

What happened the VW beetle, were is his hair gone, and his sense of humour, what happened to the sex starved Bob, the basement apartment, the inability to be around electrical things............ I could go on and on with the problems but would like to know what anyone else thought about it?

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 15/2/2007 11:33:48 AM   
Pinkvelvet

I quite enjoyed it, but I haven't read the books, which I will now attempt to do.  It is a bit cliched in parts but I'm going to keep watching.  I like the premise of the High Council and finding out about the uncle.

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 16
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 15/2/2007 5:37:11 PM   
Blunderbuss

Not seen it yet.  Its sitting on my Sky box.  Valentine's Day had to take preference, understandably....

From all the reviews I've read coming out of the US this is a missed opportunity.  The books are great, but by tinkering around with the concept the TV show apparently loses much of what makes the novels so enjoyable.  It also hasn't helped matters that the SciFi channel in the US have apparently been showing the eps out of order (a la Firefly).  Don't know if Sky are doing the same.

I will withold final judgement until I watch a few Ep's (apparently Ep 3 is an improvement on the first two) but I'm not confident that this will go the distance.  Which is a shame because the concept (and the books) are excellent.

You can find reviews of all eps at http://uk.tv.ign.com/

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 17
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 15/2/2007 5:54:14 PM   
Grunny

I watched it and it wasn't great! i will give it time to find its feet but i dunno, it just dosn't seem to have anything going for it.

ďPeople are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.Ē

Post #: 18
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 16/2/2007 10:49:01 AM   
Bubba

quote:

ORIGINAL: naomi

What happened the VW beetle, were is his hair gone, and his sense of humour, what happened to the sex starved Bob, the basement apartment, the inability to be around electrical things............ I could go on and on with the problems but would like to know what anyone else thought about it?

I'm with you on all of that! I couldn't get into it at all cause I was to busy picking up on everything they had missed out. They've tried to make it too much like Buffy and have managed to take away everything that made the books so great.

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 19
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 16/2/2007 11:10:28 AM   
sanchia

Just seen the third one and it has improved slightly.  Still incredibly formulaic but at the same time there has been an increase in the darkness of the tone which helps.  It appears that the program is being made on a shoestring budget as you watch the episodes it seems to use the Dresden home set, the police station set and maybe one other set or outside shoot in each one and that is about it.  The skull bloke is still a good natured chap which seems to be a shame considering how everyone says he is in the books. 

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Bubba)
Post #: 20
RE: The Dresden Files - US Speed - 17/2/2007 2:38:45 AM   
Joedini

I think thats where I benefit having not read the books. I can just take the show on face value, and as such I generally enjoy it. It's nothing special but the potential is there

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Dresden Files - New to US SciFi Channel in Jan 07 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI