Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 30/11/2006 12:46:57 AM   
Cuchulainn

With all the excitement generated by the upcoming adaptation of Frank Miller's Graphic Novel 300,I thought I'd draw attention to the ultimate Thermopylae novel,Gates Of Fire...
It really is a stunning book.
Beautifully crafted characters,incredible attention to detail,a strong narrative style and simply the most jaw-dropping battle scenes ever committed to the printed page...
If you haven't read this already I urge you to do yourself a favour and get a copy...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"
Post #: 1
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 30/11/2006 3:38:37 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

yep, it's pretty good. If you want it slightly heavier try some Mary Renaults.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 2
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 30/11/2006 7:48:06 PM   
Acho

I started reading this last week! I was posting on the 300 thread and asked for recommendations for related reading, this one popped up the most. I'm not that far into it (as usual, started a new book while I still had about three others on the go!) but I'm hoping to get a run at it over the weekend.
Really liked the 300 graphic novel and the trailer for the film looks amazing, so if I'm going to jump on the band wagon, at least if I do it now I'll seem like a wise old head come next March!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 3
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 4/12/2006 10:55:16 PM   
Tangerine Bean

I read 'Gates Of Fire' a few years back.  Gripping, but a slog too.  I felt like I'd ran the course when I finished the last sentence.......

Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 4
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 5/12/2006 11:17:29 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

With all the excitement generated by the upcoming adaptation of Frank Miller's Graphic Novel 300,I thought I'd draw attention to the ultimate Thermopylae novel,Gates Of Fire...
It really is a stunning book.
Beautifully crafted characters,incredible attention to detail,a strong narrative style and simply the most jaw-dropping battle scenes ever committed to the printed page...
If you haven't read this already I urge you to do yourself a favour and get a copy...

Seconded - it's a fantastic depiction of the carnage of Thermopylae and as much as I love 300, this trumps it in every department.

For some background reading, I'd recommend you get a copy of Tom Holland's Persian Fire for the historical account of the rise and fall of the Persian empire.  Compelling stuff and still a lesson today to all superpowers trying to crush rogue states...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 5
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 5/12/2006 11:29:35 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

For some background reading, I'd recommend you get a copy of Tom Holland's Persian Fire for the historical account of the rise and fall of the Persian empire.  Compelling stuff and still a lesson today to all superpowers trying to crush rogue states...

I got Persian Fire out of the library the same day as Gates of Fire! I started GoF first - do you reckon the order matters? I also have Herodutus' Histories - in for a penny, in for a pound, and all that!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 15/12/2006 5:06:52 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Xenephon's persian expedition is pretty good if you're into your ancient greek stuff. Firstly two books of the Mary Renaults' Alexander triology is good as well, no Spartan's in that though, just Macedonians. Although they do win in that one.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 7
RE: Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE - 19/12/2006 9:48:39 AM   
Acho

My reading list is growing by the minute! Almost finished Gates of Fire - it's fantastic! I've really enjoyed reading it. It's more about the Spartar warrior way of life than I realised (which is good), took about twenty chapters to get properly into Thermopylae!

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 8
RE: Steven Pressfield - 2/4/2008 2:13:48 PM   
Timon

I love Steven Pressfield and I have (and have read) Gates of Fire, Last of the Amazons and his two Alexander books.

I've just got my mits on his latest, a WWII actioner! KILLING ROMMELL!

http://www.stevenpressfield.com/index.asp

I love these kind of books - Historical epic fiction such as Bernard Cornwell and David Gemmell.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 9
RE: Steven Pressfield - 2/4/2008 4:37:28 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I'm not sure Thermopylae counts as real history, but it's certainly an engaging legend.

horribleives

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Steven Pressfield - 3/4/2008 10:05:10 AM   
Timon

Thermopalyae IS real history. The battle did actually take place - it's primarily just the figures that have got exaggerated into legend. It's very doubtful the Persian army numbered one million men.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 11
RE: Steven Pressfield - 3/4/2008 3:02:40 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Thermopalyae IS real history. The battle did actually take place - it's primarily just the figures that have got exaggerated into legend. It's very doubtful the Persian army numbered one million men.

No it's basically the account of one man (Herodotus - The Father of History and The Father of Lies), it's not what I would call accurate history. True it's a good story and probably a good draw for the tourist industry but the way I understand it, no one is even sure if the whole site wasn't under water at the time.

horribleives

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Steven Pressfield - 13/4/2008 2:06:10 PM   
Fritz Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

No it's basically the account of one man (Herodotus - The Father of History and The Father of Lies), it's not what I would call accurate history. True it's a good story and probably a good draw for the tourist industry but the way I understand it, no one is even sure if the whole site wasn't under water at the time.
What a ridicilous theory...

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? You had a bad day and everything changed.

Post #: 13
RE: Steven Pressfield - 19/2/2009 2:41:49 PM   
Timon

Currently reading Steven Saylor's ROMA: Epic Story of Roma and he's very much like Steven Pressfield. In fact, the two are friends.

http://www.stevensaylor.com/

Really recommend his books to those fans of Pressfield.

(in reply to Fritz Lang)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Steven Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI